West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 2000 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 5, 2000
comments: why is there nothing about parkersburg high school on this forum ? i know there is a few good kids on this team does anybody have a break down of there team

December 5, 2000
comments: I think that both South and Oak Glen are good teams but when the day comes for them to meet South will come out on top. It may be by alot or a little but one point is as good as fifty. Good luck South and keep up the hard work and dont lose focuss on what you have to do!!!

December 5, 2000
comments: To PA wrestler. You always talk about how good Mcguffy is and remeber that state champion you had a couple of years ago. Jeff Breese. I saw him wrestle a true freshman from West Virginia and bet him 8-1 and really dogged him all over the mat. Just to say don't West Virginia

December 5, 2000
comments: anyone know what weight class wesley lane of Herbert Hoover is wrestling this year. And anyone know what teams will be in the Berkely Springs Invitational and Jefferson Inv. this year.

December 5, 2000
comments: lots to say first like to congratulate the eagles on dominating the james wood quad. This years lineup is looking possibly better than last years. The heavy weights are coming on strong. Files and Barrett are huge upgrades at 215 and 275 respectively. The lineup for hedgesville is far from set. Justin Snyder was sick and did not make weight for the quad but he will be going 152. That should settle the lineup from 140-275. As for the lower weights from what I understand from one of the wrestlers. A former part time starter has returned to the squad he is a senior and is looking good and should be the new 135. That would push Bryant down to 125 closer to where he was certified and Foster down to 119. Ballam and Drappo will be going to 103 and 112 respectively. Also we have one wrestler who was a jv last year that showed potential who is injured right now but could be back in a few weeks. If possible he should be an upgrade at 125. That could push Bryant down to 119.The lineup which looked very good this past weekend in the next several weeks should get a whole lot stronger. I'm not going out on a limb and predicting regional or state team titles because there is still alot of work to do. Regionally Fairmont Sr. looks like a very strong team with 4 Delligattis a Bonasso and a Naternicola how could the lineup not be strong. What do those families do besides crank out wrestlers. Seriously Fairmont will be a tough test. And Parkersburg South has a strong lineup as well. Still if the eagles work hard the potential is there to do much more than last years team. It just takes dedication. Would like to go on record and state that us not wrestling Nitro Huntington and Parkersburg South is a mistake. Those three teams are tough and have wrestlers we need to see BEFORE states. Anyway also like to say that the three freshmen off the jr league team Foster Ammons and Pifer looked very good for freshman wrestling up this past weekend. Pifers base weight is barely 103 Foster is a 112 pounder and Ammons 135. They handled themselves well in their first starts and have much potential. Anyway good luck this weekend at St. Albans. Nice to see Parkersburg South is sending its B team to scout us. Anyway go Eagles.

December 5, 2000
comments: To Oak Glen Alumni.
I was pleasantly surprised to come on this forum and read all the discussion about the South Vs. Oak Glen match up in January. I am a former South matmaid and I am attending a college very close to Oak Glen High School. I will be there and I don't think that a winner can even be predicted. Honestly both teams are great. This is proven by both currently holding the State Title for there particular division. It will come down to who wants it more when both teams step on the mat. The only advantage that Oak Glen has it that it will be in your gym. A home crowd helps! But If I also believe that if it was on South turf there would be no room in the field house for Oak Glen fans. On the other hand South has awesome fans and they will be there also. Who is to say whom will have the highest score at the end of match. 55-12????? PLEASE!!!

December 5, 2000
comments: Comments :Does eneyone no what teams will be at the St. Albens tourney this Friday and Saturday.
Editors note: Click the link under Headline Events on the front page....

December 5, 2000
email: dougr@citynet.net
comments: This comment is for the December 5th 2000 question about the fastest pin in a WV State Tournament. I do not know if there is an actual record time. But I can tell you during my Junior year in 1989 I pinned my opponent in 13 seconds of the first round capturing my second State Title.

December 5, 2000
comments: whats up with the discussion of the "states" it has always been called that and always will unless the WVSSAC gets a president whos got a doctoran (excuse my spelling) in language and is gonna get all picky.
who all is going to be good this year please tell me some predictions 4 teams and singles.

December 5, 2000
comments: I was noticing that the Fairmont Senior team has 4 Delligattis on it this year.Are these Mark's sons?I know they come from a rich wrestling background and should provide us fans plenty to look forward to as far as competition is concerned.South looks forward to hosting F.Senior just 10 days before the state tourney begins.Lets hope both teams wrestlers stay healthy.

I would also like to say that I met Blaine Mayle in Huntington last year on the elevator at the Holiday Inn and he was quite a gentleman.Good luck to him this year!

December 5, 2000
comments: To PA shark. I think PA has there own web page so stay over there. Nobody said WV was as deep as PA. And nobody will. Are trying to start something because there really isn't any point in doing so. I mean i know PA is the best wrestling state but alot of the people in WV don't think so but how many of them go to college and wrestle. But stay on your on web page.

December 5, 2000
email: lemasterjpmd@milton.total.web.net
comments: In response to the congratulations offered. Thanks! Also to the person who mentioned my 6th graders... the two named did a great job in winning the tournament against 8th graders in the finals. I would like to point out that three other 6th graders also placed Shawn Beckett 3rd @ 123 - Adam Chapman 4th @ 135 - and Alex Neal 4th @ 190 (While weighing only 163 and wrestling up to fill an empty weight class.) I think 6th graders can be competitive with 7 & 8 but still have a problem with them competing with high school freshman teams. I guess we'll find out this Friday & Saturday at McKinley. Good luck to everyone in this weekends events.

December 5, 2000
comments: To: PA "JV" Wrestler
Don't you guys in PA have a forum so you can tell each other how good your JV lineups are? I know we in this "weak" wrestling state are just chompin' at the bit to find out who your JV lineups are going to be from year to year but this post would maybe have been better served on a PA JV forum. Do you have one. I don't think Oak Glen should submit a JV lineup to state"S" either but what did your post have to do with the subject. Get a hobby or perhaps another forum.

December 5, 2000
comments: It is true that most of the time it doesnt make any difference that region 2 has more teams than other regions at the state tournament. But sometimes it might. For instance, in 1996, South won the state championship by 14 points over Fairmont Sr. That year South qualified all 14 but Fairmont qualified only 9. If Fairmont could have gotton 3 or 4 more kids to the states that year, they might have been able to pick up 15 or 20 extra points for their team. If you are looking at total team performance, especially when the team score is close, teams that can't get all their wrestlers in the tournament are at a disadvantage. The cream rises to the top it is true. But you have to get in the tournament in the first place to have a chance to rise to the top.

December 5, 2000
email: wvgrappler@citynet.net
comments: I would like to thank Ripley High School for hosting Ken Chertow's Camp of Champs this past weekend. Missy Smith along with her great group of parents wrestlers and coaches made for a wonderful weekend of wrestling. Ken Chertow as always motivated instructed and turned up the "INTENSITY" of all the wrestlers who attended. He seems to always get the best out of the wrestlers who attend his camps whether they are a 5 year old just starting out or a senior in high school gearing up for their final run at a state title. Ken is a West Virginian whom our state can truly be proud of and an example of what hard work and dedication can accomplish. If you have never attended one of this former Penn State All-American and Olympian's camps you are missing out on an opportunity to make use of a true WV natural resource. I know that my son and all of the other wrestlers who attend his camps and wrestling school have benefited greatly from his wrestling expertise and his emphasis on getting a good education to be successful in life. If you are interested in being the best wrestler you can be and also being the best you can be in the game of life give one of Ken's camps a try sometime you won't be sorry.

December 5, 2000
comments: I wish everyone would just quit wining about region 1-7 teams all the other regions have 10 cry about it just shut up and let these wrestlers wrestle and who ever predicted oak glen beat south 55-12 is 100 percent wrong these are two good teams and this is going to be a good match and very close goog luck to all

December 5, 2000
comments: To Hayhurst....Hey I also was at the states and I know for a fact Kupfer was wrestling against doctor's orders. You need to check your mouth's sneakers before you run it cause you're running the soles right off yours. To quote you "not to be offensive" but Kupfer WAS dominating that match until he was physically unable to fight off the weakest of cradles. I have video footage that proves he was NOT pinned and personally I think he would beat you today or any other day. And just a hunch I bet he wouldn't mind that chance.
Editor's note: O.K. We've heard one opinion from each side and this particular discussion is closed...

December 5, 2000
comments: My predictions for the South vs OakGlenn match is South 39 and OakGlenn 12. South just has too much talent.

December 5, 2000
comments: Just to clearify one point it's actually 37 straight wins in dual matches for Hedgesville.

December 5, 2000
comments: Musselman's 135 pounder this year is Clint Radcliff. An excellant wrestler.

December 5, 2000
comments: To Wonderer: Parkersburg South's JV team will be wrestling at St. Alabans this weekend. While our varsity is wrestling at the Iron Man Invitational at Walsh Jesuit High School.Not sure about about the other schools.

December 5, 2000
comments: I think that we should listen to what South wrestler said about people needing to realize what the sport is really about. I hope that "States"(that's right I said it.) goes well for all teams and ecspecially to South no offense to the other schools.

December 5, 2000
comments: the newest line up for fairmont sr.
WT--GR-NAME
103 12 Sammy Bonasso
112 12 Jonathan Delligatti
119 12 Brad Michalski**
125 10 Alan Ford**
130 11 HunterDelligatti**
135 10 Anthony Delligatti**
140 10 Roger Wolfe
145 11 Scott Hartlieb
152 10 Kirk Naternicola
160 12 Jonathan Holt
171 11 Jeff Courtney
189 or 215 12 Curtis Barber
189 of 215 09 Matt Delligatti
275 11 Jay Singleton

December 5, 2000
email: poolshark316@hotmail.com
comments: In responce to an early post about entering an Oak Glen B team into the state tournament. The idea is absurd. Just to give you an idea of how pitiful there JV is compared to a PA JV team I wrestled JV my sophmore year. Five of us entered the tournament and all five of us won our weight classes and winning the team competition. Oak Glen had a full JV line up and we still won. The bottom line is that West Virginia is not a strong wrestling state. And I know you Parkersburg South people are going to be mad but I don't care you guys have never beaten McGuffey and never will.

December 5, 2000
comments: To who eversaid South would get beat by OAk geln 55-12 is nuts I am from neither South or Oak Glen but seen both them wrestle over the years and i will tell you South will be in better shape and i belive there wreslters are just tough as pine knots thats why they win AAA about every year

December 5, 2000
email: xconn42@aol.com
comments: if it was up to me i wish that our school was in region 1. you only become the best by beating the best and according to everyone in parkersburg that would be them.

December 5, 2000
Can you tell me the record for the fastest pin in a state championship match? My brother (David Farley - Shady Spring) pinned his opponet in 0:22 of the first round for his 3rd state championship. I was wondering if that is the fastest or if there is a faster time? I love your web site. Thanks,
Ivan Farley
Editor's note: To my knowledge, such records are not kept. I would think 22 sec would be a leading contender...

December 5, 2000
comments: To RHS fan: The kid you are speaking of is my son. He transferred from Arrowhead High School in Ohio. He is at 125lbs though. Last year as a freshman he compiled a record of 53-4 and finished 4th in the state.

December 5, 2000
comments: Comment for Oak Glen alumni:Oak Glen over South 55-12?!?! I realize that Oak Glen has several returning wrestlers but you far off base if you think South is not as strong as last year!Besides only losing a couple of strong wrestlers South has a great nucleus coming back and a few strong contenders coming in this year.I'll take South and the 43 points and bet you the ranch !Even better lets go straight up for the ranch and a few head of cattle !You obviously have no clue!

December 5, 2000
comments: As an old and avid OAK GLEN fan; I am hear to tell you all from OAK GLEN to keep your comments to yourself. The wrestlers will do their job to the best of their ability when they get on the mat. They don't need fans wrestling for them on the forum. Let the young men do the job at hand. All they need from you is a pat on the back. They don't need you trash talking or bragging on here. Thank You

December 5, 2000
comments: i have always disliked parkersburg south and well you should because your not supposed to like teams that beat you but in this case go south. I really hope AA sees the difference between AA and AAA. They haven't and now it is time for them to see it. Good luck south but as for the rest of the season i don't really care what you guys do.

December 5, 2000
comments: to the person complaining about people calling it states. give me a break. do you have anything better to do with yourself. It's states and it will always be states. And i hope to see you at states.

December 5, 2000
email: comments for the forum
comments: i was just wondering if anyone knows where jackson from martinsburg is wrestling rumors were 189 i just wanted to know for surethanks j.b.

December 4, 2000
comments: How is Wheeling Park going to look this season? And who should we be on the watch for???

December 4, 2000
comments: We call it the "state's" tournament but the apostrophe is silent. Dig it?

December 4, 2000
comments: Good luck to Beckley-Stratton Tuesday against Grundy Va. and good luck this weekend at Beckley Newspaper Invt.Oh if any BSJH coaches or fans read this there team page needs updated Go Bulldogs

December 4, 2000
email: Roaddog_69_98@yahoo.com
comments: I'm wondering if anyone knows what the lineup of the Elkins High School Tigers Wrestling Team is?? If anyone knows this would you either tell me on here or email me. Also If you have any of the lineups for the Region II AAA wrestling teams I'd really appreciate it if you'd send them to me. Thank you for your time.

December 4, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Milton Middle for its team victory at the Cammack Invitational. Lets hear it for the 6th graders that helped make it happen. (Nathan Wood & Chris Miles)

December 4, 2000
comments: Sorry I graduated from Oak Glen and wrestled. Whoever made that comment about 55-12 doesn't know anything about wrestling. This match will be extremely close between two great teams. Oak Glen has some soft spots at 103 112 119 and 152. But in the middle weights they are very strong and if they can get some extra points in pins and tech-falls they can pull out the win. But it wont be close 55-12 for either team

December 4, 2000
comments: In Florida most sports and schools are divided into 6 classes. However wrestling is divided into 3 classes 1a(105 schools. 1-1053 enrollment) 2a(99 schools 1054-1467 enrollment) and 3a(98 schools 1468-up enrollment).There are 4 regions in each class with 4 districts in each region average 7 schools in each district. Top 4 in each district go to regionals top 4 in regionals go to state.

December 4, 2000
comments: Anyone's predictions on the Oak Glen/Parkersburg South January 6 match at Oak Glen H.S.?

I predict 55-12 Oak Glen. If it were still 2000 I would say South might have had a chance. Last year they were extremely strong. This year however I think it will be all Oak Glen. The three weight classes we might loss is 103, 152, and 171.

December 4, 2000
comments: Why do people keep calling the West Virginia state high school wrestling tournament "States"? there is only one right? And its "the State" not state or states. That was getting on my nerves.

December 4, 2000
comments: Wrestling is the hardest roughest meanest and best sport to be a part of. And I just think that everone on this forum shouldn't hate one another but realize that we all have a special common bond here we all love wrestling. And alot of those who are here just to brag and boast should take a closer look and realize what its all about. Good luck to all WV wrestlers.

December 4, 2000
comments: I agree with Jason Hayhurst never make excuses for losing. You don't come with your A game you lose. Thats why all wrestlers should go into every match like its the State Championship

December 4, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what teams will be at the ST. Albans duals?

December 4, 2000
comments: who is this sophmore we have heard about at musselman that will be wrestleing 135???anyone know????

December 3, 2000
comments: Fairmont Senior's Projected Line-up (After everyone gets down to their proper weights)

WT--GR-NAME
103 12 Sammy Bonasso
112 12 Jonathan Delligatti
119 10 Alan Ford
125 12 Brad Michalski
130 10 Anthony Delligatti
135 11 Hunter Delligatti
140 10 Roger Wolfe
145 11 Scott Hartlieb
152 10 Kirk Naternicola
160 12 Jonathan Holt
171 11 Jeff Courtney
189 12 Curtis Barber
215 09 Matt Delligatti
275 11 Jay Singleton

December 3, 2000
comments: congrats to every1 who participated in the cammack invitational. and also to coach LeMasters 4 his team victory.
coongrats guys.

December 3, 2000
Here is Moundsville's new wrestling home page
http://www.expage.com/page/trojanwrestling

December 3, 2000
comments: I hear Stevens from Phs is wrestling 130 this year is that true?

December 3, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Hedgesville Eagles for winning their 34th straight dual at Jameswood High School (VA) Saturday 12/02/00. The Eagles defeated James Wood 41-21 Centreville 62-18 and Loudoun County 75-0. Much enthusiasm some returning talent and many pleasant surprises. Good job Guys! I was impressed.
BUT REMEMBER: this is just the beginning of the season and...
"Only in the dictionary does SUCCESS come before WORK."
Looking forward to another great season - LET'S GO EAGLES!
Luv Ya A

December 3, 2000
comments: Lets face it region I is the toughest region in the state. If it was so easy to qualify from there everyone would want in. But realistically i don't see anyone volunteering to join us I only see teams trying to get out. Quit your crying if your so good you will qualify from anywhere. I don't see teams trying to get out of the Big Ten because Iowa always kicks their butts. Those teams could try to go to the MAC conference which only has six teams and try to qualify. Even if that happened ( which it never would) they still couldn't beat Iowa at the NCAA'S because the cream will always rise to the top no matter where you come from!

December 3, 2000
comments: to some guy! Why is it that all the wrestlers that get beat on your team are always sick at states? I dont mean to affend you but is this a tradition or something? Kupfner was pinned! FACT! I dont make excuses for my loss in the state finals and i was there 4 years in a row. You get beat you get beat! If there is anyone to make excuses it is Thomas Naylor he could have been champ if he had wrestled to his potential. check out claywolfsports.com to see the #1 nationaly ranked BUILDER WRESTLING teams line up. Hope to see more wv wrestlers at this program.

December 3, 2000
comments: Just in case you missed it-South defeated Cabell Midland Friday night 70-12 ! Missing from Cabell's lineup were Hodges Stanleyand Wellman and from South's McCartney and Young.South look very agressive and stacked up several falls in the match.Should be a fun year.Good luck to all the WV wrestlers in 2000-2001!

December 3, 2000
comments: Hey here are some of the wrestlers for this year's Cameron Squad...enjoy.
1.Jared Ross-qualifier at 103 last year has tech and strength to be a 103 force..
2.Noah O'Neil-3rd or 4th in conference last year tough freshman no pushover for ANY wrestler at 112 or 103
3.Josh Whipkey-if he is wrestling has ability to do well another freshman he is coming off a 28-1 8th grade campaign.
4.Danny Doty-missed last year this sophomore could be a decent wrestler at 119 should he make it there.
5.Tyler Hughes-125's heir to the title throne after a setback to Ash Wenmoth in last year's finals he is more than ready to win his long-due title and possibly become the career win leader at Cameron High School
6.D.J. Yoders-Tough as nails sophomore earned respect with a 25-4 record in Jr. High 3 of the losses coming to the same guy will be a force at 130 so look out WV
7.Casey Hughes-Undefeated Freshman campaign figures to be around 135 this year could be the only thing between Noel and another state title.
8.Joel O'Neil-Injured Sophomore season this Junior is lookin for payback in a big way. Has state champ ability but is cutting greatly to make either 135-140 beware all comers
9.Isaac Stewart-4 time pee-wee state champion perrenial contender in Tulsa Nationals will be tough wherever he goes he's weighing around 145 but figures to cut to 140
10.Roger Kupfer-OVAC champ as a sophomore was sick at states last year and still earned a respectable 3rd place to State Champ Noel and 2 time champ/2 time runner up Hayhurst lookin for illusive state title as a junior Roger is the man to beat at 145.
11.Tucker Brown-a 3rd placer as a Frosh and a runner up last year this Junior is poised to overtake the 152 lb. crowd and emerge champ size and strength may be a factor for him as he moved up all the way from 119 but is a good bet for the finals and maybe that championship
12.Luke Roupe-an extremely strong and quick wrestler with a little technique could be very tough at 160 having trouble making it though bottom line..one false step and he's got ya.
13.Curt Meyer-a returning placer suffered 3 straight defeats in the states to pull out a 6th place finish but isn't complaining after his 5th place finish in regionals has the ability and strength to contend at 171 may be the dark horse of the tournament this year
14.Shane Meyer-brother of Curt also weighing around 180 lookin for an opening at 189 1st year wrestler but has talent
15.Wyatt O'Neil-questionable whether he'll wrestle but is a vital link to this years dragon team at 189 he is just the man to dethrone Bellville if it is possible to do so.
16.Josh Yoho-A freshman he may be 5'5" but is plenty talented and experienced to turn some heads at 215 or 275 a pee wee state champ Yoho could play a pivotal role in duals for the dragons this year as did the lackluster Stoneking in the 99-00 campaign
17.Travis Doyle-A junior has had past wrestling experience but hasn't been out recently real question for this competitor is whether he can gut it out and be aggressive enough to fight for the win teammates say he can spectators aren't so sure only time will tell with this strong 205 pound athelete
18.C.J. Manning-Large freshman could be a force in a few years needs work and conditioning but may start as a 275 lber and earn respect during the year.
19.Justin LaForrest-small at a 105 pound frame but has been working through illness and injury to be ready should he be called upon by the team
20.Gerald Blake-talented strong 139 pound wrestler has vast amounts of experience and may break the line-up by midyear has state placing ability but stuck in a loaded area of the team.

Those are the 2000-2001 Cameron Dragons watch and see how they do in.."The year of the Dragon" Good luck to all!

December 3, 2000
comments: sure region 1 may have scored more points than region two last year but look at all the good wrestlers out of region 2 who didtn make states because they have tougher competion. two years ago east fairmonts shane eakle failed to qualify for states and his counter part at university high that he beat all year made it to states because they have an easier region. not only did eakle beat him but east's jv wrestler beat him. i think that the regions should be evened up a little more because some guys who should be at states wrestling aren't while guys who aren't as good are.

December 3, 2000
email: wrestlinghhs@yahoo.com
comments: first of all good luck to all huntington high wrestlers.

and to those of you that have wondered about florida high school wrestling results go to http://www.fhsaa.org/
florida high school activities association

in some sports florida has 6 classes a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a districts top 4 advance to regionals(where as many as 10 teams could be in a district) then top 4 advance to state. the 2000 tournament was held at the lakeland civic center

December 2, 2000
comments: 2000 State Tournament
Champions - Region 1 - 6 champs (2 South)
Region 2 - 2 champs (1 Hedgesville)
Region 3 - 3 champs
Region 4 - 3 champs

December 2, 2000
comments: i think they should enter an oak glen b team in states. we would definately place in the top four. as an examle a few years ago one of our varsity kids got hurt right before states and we had a jv kid step up. he was jv his hole life a goes to states and takes secound. as in myself i was also jv i got to wrestle a few matches varsity and one kid i pined at a duel meet place secound in states that year. if not every one have a b team let oak glen have one

December 2, 2000
comments: To: Devin
Thanks for the encouragement I am wrestling 140 again this year and have worked real hard this summer and fall I hope it pays off. Also Buckhannon will be very young with decent middle school and limited varsity experience. The tentative lineup is:
103- Todd Davis freshman
112- Quil Ward freshman
119- Drew Perry freshman
125- Steve Goff freshman
130- Thomas Demastus sophomore state qualifier
135- Cody Shell junior state qualifier
140- Blane Mayle sophomore state qualifier
145- Ashton Queen sophomore
152- Brycin Perry junior
160- Sloan Baisden sophomore or Josh Stump junior
171- Mike Bickle sophomore
189- John Dilworth sophomore
215-
Hwt- Jeremiah McCourt junior

4 freshman 6 sophomores 3 or 4 juniors no seniors a rebuilding year????

December 2, 2000
email: bdbop@aol.com

comments: By now I am sure that many of you in the eastern US have become aware of the conflict in dates between the MAWA Finals and the Ohio Tournament of Champions. I know that I have personally talked to several individuals about this unfortunate circumstance.

In an effort to clear up the situation as well as to avoid explaining the situation to many more of you who might call or e-mail I thought I would try to summarize the happening as delicately as I can.

Over the last several years the Ohio TofC has grown to become the largest youth tournament in the country (and second only to the USA Cadet/Junior Nationals - However if we accepted all applications received last year we would have bested them as well.)

Finding a facility to host such a large event is not easy. Coupled with the fact that the vast majority of our workers are from central Ohio the only place large enough for the event and feasible for us to hold it is the Columbus Convention Center.

Unfortunately booking the facility is not as easy as one might think. Their booking procedures are based solely on the number of room nights a group brings into the city. While our event might seem large to wrestling fans it is not in the number of room nights utilized.

In the late spring of 1999 we were informed that a larger week-long convention desired our date of April 28. We had no choice in the matter but to move dates (along with several other smaller events). The only logical date open was April 21. Sensing that the date might conflict with the MAWA's I sent an e-mail to several wrestling people that I knew in the eastern US. Their suggestion meet with Mike Smith and see if something could be worked out.

In September of 1999 at the AAU Convention in Puerto Rico I approached both Kevin Martin and Mike Smith. I explained the situation to them during a short meeting. When the meeting was concluded I was confident the situation had been averted and I again sent an e-mail out informing people of that.

Then in early September of this year I received a call from a person high up in the MAWA's informing me of the conflict.

I called Kevin Martin who checked intothe situation and informed me that they were not able to change any of their dates . Again I sent an e-mail out to people letting them know early on of the now impending conflict.

I have tried very hard to be upfront and honest about this situation and have tried my best to try to find a working solution. Unfortunately the main clog in this matter appears to be facilities and in our case we have only one viable solution.

I have offered alternative ideas to MAWA people including their going the last weekend in April and giving kids a 2 pound weight allowance but these ideas have appeared to fallen on deaf ears.

While both events will still fill up the ones that eventually get the shaft in the end are as usual the kids - who deserve much better. These are the two major wrestling events in the eastern US and there is no reason why they should ever be the same weekend and force kids to choose.

Still the show must go on. I have heard from several groups that are planning on still coming to Ohio and I appreciate their support. This past year we were named the Number One Youth Wrestling Tournament in the United States and it is through the support of the people like you that take the time to travel all over the country with your child that we received this tremendous honor. We also received top honors for best officiating best overall competition and ease of registration/weigh-ins as well as best overall value for the money.

I would like to mention one final thing however. This year our anticipated date of closure is April 1 (last year we closed out 6 days early and turned away 800+ wrestlers). This also marks the first weekend of MAWA Regionals.

Please be aware of the following: Applications received after April 1 will most likely not even be considered and once we close out there are no refunds. Again this most likely puts many of you in a delicate situation and forces you to have to decide which event to attend the weekend of April 21. Unfortunately I can see no other ways around it.

In the end it appears that both events will suffer some. Hopefully this situation will never happen again.
Bart Freidenberg
Chairman
Ohio Tournament of Champions

December 2, 2000
comments: Does anybody know were Blane Mayle is wrestling this season. I bet ya he will do good this season. His wrestling impressed me last season. Does anybody know buckhannons line up? They should be decent this year.

December 2, 2000
comments: Is it really true that there is a kid in the 119 lb. class from Riverside that may go all the way this year in the states?

December 2, 2000
comments: Comment on region 1 &2: Okay some of you brilliant math advisors out there answer this one! Region 1 fields only 7 teams and region 2 fields 10 teams.Region 1 scores 467 points at last year's states and region 2 scores 444.Who looks a little weaker?Do the math !!

December 2, 2000
comments: To who ever said there was a Tyler Venton wrestling for Wahama that placed 6th in FL last year well i went to Wrestling USA and looked up the Florida state tourny and there was no Tyler Venton that even quailfied at any weight class at eiter one of FL 3 Div's in wrestling Last year.

December 2, 2000
comments: In response to the volunteer situation I would like to say that Calhoun High School had a similar instence. A long time volunteer coach is no longer a part of our team. I feel that if a person is willing to make the sacrifices Coach Brian Gainer made he should be able to help if he wants to. Coach Gainer was an emotional leader and a friend to everyone on our team. He was a coach who didn't care to get on the mats and wrestle with us to make us better. Sorry you couldn't be with us on the mat this year coach but don't think for a minute you're not still in all of our hearts. WE MISS YOU COACH GAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2000
comments: Does eneyine no what weight class Clark from wahama is wrestlin this year.

December 1, 2000
email: USPF@NETASSOC.NET
comments: I would like to welcome everyone to veiw the website for the Patriot youth wrestling program. The url is www.eteamz.com/jrpatriots . The site should be completed within the next two weeks. It will be a place to veiw updates on results.

December 1, 2000
comments: To Wonderer 29:Why don't you apply to the state atheletic comm. and you can send a couple more teams to region 1.Keep in mind that their will be less wrestlers from those two schools at states!And for Parkersburg high being weak?I believe they finish 3rd at states last year--yea thats pretty weak!! Like I said before South had 7 in the top 3 at the states and a few others in the top 6 so how can you figure they would'nt make it out of any other region?!?!Like i said before-your riding a dead horse sorry.Good luck tonoght to all the South wrestlers against Cabell Midland!

December 1, 2000
comments: I heard Chris Johnson may be out for some undetermined time due to injury. Is this true?

December 1, 2000
comments: TO: Beckley-Stratton Good Luck in your scrimmage with Grundy next Tuesday and at the Beckley Newspaper Invitational Duals next weekend ! Keep working hard to be the best !!

December 1, 2000
comments: To:old talzer
Let me make myself perfectly clear. Winning a Jr.High/Middle school title isn't the reason I speak for having a state tournament ( sorry if I confused you or if I came across that way ). The reason for having a state tournament is to bring together the best wrestlers in the state in the Jr.High/Middle school division to compete at a higher level of competition. Wrestling the same "local yokels" all the time doesn't give anyone a measuring stick to gauge their progress as a wrestler. I'm also growing tired of attempting to have a friendly exchange of opinions with someone who would rather attack the messenger instead of the message. So I will now end my posts on this subject as I am sure the rest of the readers of the forum are growing weary of this tripe................

December 1, 2000
comments: does anyone know what weight Courtney from Fairmont senior is wrestling this year?

December 1, 2000
comments: I have to agree with SouthFan123 in that the issue about the regional alignment is old news. For those who want to continue to whine about the way that things are need only to go to last years tournament results and look up the Winters Winners Choice tournament in Fairmont. Most if not all of the top Northern and Eastern panhandle teams were there(Hedgesville Fairmont Etc...). Each team there had all 14 of their kids. And if my memory serves me the results there were the same as the State tournament.....Parkersburg South won! All of this talk about re-aligning the regions might affect some schools in that they may get one or two more kids to Huntington. I have a solution that would fix everything...Let's have a tournament in which there are all 37 teams represented with all 14 kids. No regional just one large State tournament. And anybody that knows anything about wrestling in the state of West Virginia knows that the results would be the same. The teams from Region 1 would be your dominating teams. Parkersburg South Parkersburg High Wheeling Park etc... There are good teams and kids all over the state but when February rolls around everyone knows who will be on top don't we? The only thing that I can summise from all of the alignment talk is that somebody doesn't like the way that the State tournament ALWAYS ends up. Here is what you do: Hire a group of Democratic lawyers and take your case to court and again...and again....until you get the results that you want. But remember if your team comes to Region 1 you will not need as many hotel rooms in Huntington. That will free them up for those of us who will be watching our kids on Saturday night. Good Luck to all high school wrestlers!!!!!

comments: Southfan 123: I think I know you were you undefeated in your high school career at Parkersburg South?

December 1, 2000
comments: To South wrestling fan:
Good point maybe if there were 2 more tough teams in the region.. say Ripley and N.Marion then maybe you wouldn't get enough kids out to win states every year. You see you have Brooke Morgantown and Park in your region typically(no offense) have a very few state finalists. John Marshall and Parkersburg isn't as tough as in the past either I mean I bet Ritchie County could go beat PHS because PHS doesn't field a full team often anymore. You have 2 GOOD teams in the region which are South and University. In region 2 there are 10 full teams which are all pretty fair. I would rather try to get out of reg.1 than reg.2. most classes in region 1 field 5 to 6 kids. you take 4 to states. hmmm... let me think. yep big deal South can take 14 every year. Lets throw in NM and Rip(geographically closest teams.) Hmm.. I think South may start only taking 11. will that beat teams like fair.sr and midland. nope sorry. this is a good idea i believe. feel free to express your opinion.

December 1, 2000
comments: If i had a nickel for every know-it-all and idiot that gets on this form i would be a billionaire.

December 1, 2000
comments: Heres something to ponder...The cream rises to the top. It dosent really matter who is in what region. 99% of the time the state champ will be the state champ no matter where they come from. Just a thought

December 1, 2000
comments: just wanted to say that Kinsley-UHS will be at 125

December 1, 2000
comments: Good Luck this weekend to the Hedgesville Eagles as they kick off their season in Winchester Virginia at the James Wood Quad. They will go against James Wood Turner Ashby and Loudon County. Good Luck Guys!!

December 1, 2000
comments: Adam Schindler is wrestling this year!! For Ripley High. This is where he belongs. He is wrestling 152 so watch out and Matt Smth is wrestling 125 or 130. Ripley will have a good team this year!! Go vikes!!!

December 1, 2000
Hey everybody I would like to wish all the South wrestlers good luck on their first match against Cabel Midland. I would also like to wish Jeff Courtney and Jonathan Delligatti from Fairmont Sr.Good luck on their first match on saturday.
Thanks

December 1, 2000
email: fordmanxlt@aol.com
comments: If there is any extra wrestling practice going on in the huntington/milton/b'ville area for the middle/high school atheletes please email me...I understand it was at the gym factory(b'ville) for a while but has died out since..My son is looking too get some more mat time...thank you

December 1, 2000
comments: does anyone know who will be wrestling the 135 for musselman high school???????????

December 1, 2000
comments: does anyone know what parkersburg starting line up is give some info thanx

December 1, 2000
comments: Why even have regional tournaments. It's not like West Virginia is busting at the seams with wrestling teams such as Pennsylvania or Ohio. Invite the entire state to the tournament and do away with regional tournaments. Set up two divisions of 48 man brackets. Get the WVU Coliseum or Charleston Civic Center put down ten to twelve mats and start wrestling at noon on Thursday. The coaches can vote on the top 16 or so seeds per weight class and then blind draw the rest. If the Winner's Choice and WSAZ can run 32 man brackets in a day and a half the state ought to be able to run 48 man brackets in two and a half days. I would think Craig Turnbull would have a lot of influence in getting the coliseum and the folks at University with assistance from Morgantown Marion County and Preston County could run a fine tournament at WVU. I would also increase weigh-ins from 16 to 20. while i'm on a roll Handshaking has only been discussed in dual matches. It may be overdone there but a tournament match is the only time a wrestler and opposing coach have an oppurtunity to exchange greetings. maybe it should be done before the match instead of after but the practice should not be discontinued.

December 1, 2000
comments: I was just at Musselman's area of the AAA teams. Several returning wrestlers are listed as returning from last year. Where is Justin Jones and Wes Kees? Are they not returning? Jones and Clark both barely missed going to ststes last year.

December 1, 2000
comments: Just wanted to wish my old team luck this year. I hope they live up to the expectations that people have given them. Just keep working hard and remember there is always somebody out there working as hard as you so push yourselves and get the most out of every practice and match.

December 1, 2000
comments: To Southfan123.
Do you have to get things started again. Everybody knows you guys have the best team in the state. You guys just don't have the best wrestlers in the state. Your team is very good but not top notch wrestlers. If you look at the regional results you will find wrestlers from region 2 that are ranked getting nocked out of the tournament by other ranked wrestlers. Put them in the state tournament and thats were you see the deference. Did you mention how many champions from region 1 2 3 and 4. Who cares about finalists. Nobody remembers who finished second and thats why alot of your wrestlers are not remember. But i bet some people can remember some of Hedgesvilles wrestlers. Go EAGLES. AR

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page