West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 2001 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 10, 2001
comments: Congratulations on Wirt County's Victory over Calhoun Co. Saturday at the Ritchie County Tournament First Place Score was 49-25 All teams are looking good this year. Good Luck Wirt COunty at Berkeley Springs this weekend........ You all are tough.

December 10, 2001
comments: Why would someone post only the PA winners of the Brooke Classic on a WV mat site? I am faxing the local newspaper article to wvmat.com today. The classic battle was at 171 where OG's Derrick Stickles beat Parkersburg's Chris Daggett in the semifinals by a score of 5-2.
Editor's note: I post what ever I get, which was what was done in this case. I'm hoping to get more complete results in a few days. Re the PA scores, it would appear that this website is enjoying a wider readership outside the confines of WV. If you don't believe that, check the youth wrestling pages....

December 10, 2001
comments: boo towards the one can't even go un-defeated for two matches
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

December 10, 2001
email: phanatikwv@yahoo.com
Congratulations to Parkersburg South, Oak Glen, & John Marshall on their excellent showings against out-of-state competition this past weekend. Every wrestling fan, coach, parent, or wrestler in the state of West Virginia should be proud of these teams as they help put west Virginia Wrestling "on the map".

I hope to see more results posted on Brooke, St. Albans duals, Ripley-Nitro quad, etc. If anyone has this info please post it to the site or email it to me and I will gladly submit it.
Thanks!
PHANATIK

December 10, 2001
comments: Any results on Scott Brown Memorial. Shady Spring 7-0, Indepenndence 6-1

December 10, 2001
comments: Did Wes Lane wrestle this weekend in Huntington? If so, how did he do?

December 10, 2001
comments: Did Hashman and Gibson wrestle over the weekend? If so who won? I didn't see Calhoun vs St.Mary's on the scores page.

December 10, 2001
comments: What weight are the Easter Boys from Nitro this year?

December 10, 2001
comments: How can you say Chris Morrison is the best Heavy hands down last year he placed third in the tournament and this year placed 5th. He made it clear to the semi finals and only got 5th, he is a decent wrestler but not the best he still has to beat Henry,Satterfield, and McCourt.I would like to say that south does have a solid program and wish everyone luck.

December 10, 2001
comments: is householder from jefferson wrestling this year??

December 10, 2001
comments: How is Bryce Pickens doing? I was very sorry to read in the paper this morning that he had broken a neck vertebrae. Nice kid and great wrestler. Any info?

December 10, 2001
comments: HOW about the ST Albans Duals would love to see some results on tat tourney. Looks like Huntington Dominated

December 10, 2001
comments: Sadmom, Perhaps some of the boys that were on that team could try and wrestle for JJWA, or another midget league. I hear Martinsburg Golds Gym has a good program....excellent coaching.

December 10, 2001
comments: To: hedgesvillefanm First, I was impressed with some of your research. Other than my Dad, I was not aware anyone knew as much about me as it appears you do. For your notebook, the two years that fell in my favor were 1989 and 1990. In 1988, I actually lost 2-1 in the finals. I was one of the lucky young wrestlers to run up against a great Parkersburg team, who had the tournament won Friday. I was a bit surprised you were aware of my experience at the Jr. National tournament. I had a great time and the opportunity gave me the chance to meet many great coaches in this state.

This website is actually new to me, so I am not sure how to submit corrections, but the weight class my junior year are not correct. The weight I wrestled at the Jr. Nationals my junior year was actually 165 lbs. The information about me wrestling 154 lbs as a senior was correct. I am guessing that is how you found out about this part of my career. I am sure you questioned how I would wrestle 171 during the season and drop two weight classes for Nationals unlike Fairmont’s Courtney, who went up for the Jr. Nationals. It is okay; I do the same thing whenever I think about it and would never encourage anyone to do it. I just felt I would have a better chance to be more competitive.

As far as the coaching, I am just as excited as you sound. I look forward to the season and to see young gentleman learn more about a sport and about life. I just hope to make a difference for a young person just as many have done for me both in and out of this state.

I will not participate in some of the types of conversation I see in this forum since I personally do not believe in those tones in high school athletics. I did; however, want to thank you, hedgesvillefanm, the school, other coaches, all of the parents, and most of all the young men I get to work with every day at practice. I would have just said so in person, I just do not know how you are.

To everyone else, good luck and I look forward to see everyone in Feb.

December 10, 2001
comments: To Coach Rick Rinehart and his Mannington Middle School wrestlers: Congratulations on winning the Cameron Invitational tournament against some VERY tough competition. I remember not so very long ago when Coach Rinehart was putting his team together with a rather limited number of wrestlers. But he was always willing to travel great distances for tournaments to get his wrestlers mat time, even when he knew that they might take some lumps along the way. I have always admired him for the way he worked with his kids and never gave up on them. Now, he has put his team "on the map" as one to be reckoned with. It is a great tribute to his perserverance and ability as a coach to build his team from the ground up, and always keep his faith with the kids. To you and your wrestlers, I say GREAT JOB, COACH!

December 10, 2001
comments: Congratulations to the Oak Glen wrestlers who placed at the Brooke Classic! Oak Glen looks to have another impressive team this year!

December 10, 2001
comments: who is going to be at 160 this year if u dont mind and how are they

December 10, 2001
comments: Does anybody have the results from the Brooke Classic? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Editor's note: In answer to NUMEROUS similar inquiries, I have no information. Perhaps maybe in a few days.....

December 10, 2001
comments: South finishes 6th! WOW! This tourny ends up being a lot tougher than I had originally thought! Sorry george, you was right i was wrong, wow what a tournament! They beat Massilon Perry who everybody thinks will be number 2 in ohio Div.1 behind St.Eds of course! I followed it most of the weekend and was very pleased with South's performance, and they will only get better! Check out the placers -
103 - Sophmore Felix OsunoCotto lost in conci's and places FOURTH!!!
125 - Senior Ryan Metx, NOTHING more can be said about this kid. BEAT, the top guys at 125 in the nation to win the CROWN jewel for the year so far, defeated the St.Eds kid 6 to 3 to become only the second South wrestler to win a championship there(Casey Daggett last year?)
Heavyweight - Chris Morrison won his final match to place FIFTH! Chris is the top heavyweight in WV hands down!
Great job South, see you at PHS this week.

From a post that I read on another board that DID NOT have South in there, the folowing teams were said to be in the top twenty somewher with only the first three being 1,2, 3. Blair Academy, St.Eds, Great Bridge, St.Paris St. Graham, SVSM, Massilon Perry, Milton Wis, and Waynesburg, PA. Interseting that the team that finished in fourth last year right ahead of South was way down the list CVCS was a no show! Sonny Dye, I hope you did great on your ACT's!

December 10, 2001
email: wjarvis@kvinet.com
comments: Congratulations to the Elkview Middle School team on a strong runner-up finish at the Trojan Invitational. It's good to see that program is tough again. I commend McKinley on the changes to their tournament that helped get wrestlers through the rounds more efficiently and be able to finish at a reasonable hour. Thanks for your hospitality. I don't think there were any problems. Coaches and wrestlers showed great sportsmanship throughout the tournament.

December 10, 2001
email: brboggs@email.com
comments: Does anyone out there have a body fat percentage computer program that'll run on a new computer? We have tricep, subscapular, & abdominal measurements in mm, for our team, but the program we've used for years isn't working on the new computer.
Volunteering as Spencer Middle's football & wrestling trainer has been my privelege for several years...On the way home last night from an excellent McKinley tournament, someone suggested maybe the wrestling community could help with our software problem. I have a nice little team & individual stats program, happy to share...sure beats the old calculator!
Oh, and good job McKinley, for a fine tournament - because your staff goes the extra mile, not just because we took 1st place! :)

December 9, 2001
comments: Once again, I would like to congratulate the bulldogs for a very strong performance at there tri meet Saturday. The Bulldogs didnt have there full lineup still do to football. But, they looked impressive. Go Dogs! There record now stands 3-2-1 without there full lineup!

December 9, 2001
comments: John Marshall has a good team this year good luck

December 9, 2001
email: USPF@netassoc.net
comments: The West Virginia State AAU Wrestling Tournament has been cancelled in Parkersburg for this weekend. All entrys will be returned. We think that it is in the best interst that this tournament be rescheduled for later in the year after high school is over.

December 9, 2001
comments: To Kingofupsets:
"The One" Billy Barbour is planning on winning the 152lb weight class this year..............

December 8, 2001
comments: Has North Marion wrestled yet this season?? Can someone post some results please?
According to their schedule, they don't open until the 19th

December 8, 2001
comments: Does anyone know what weight class Billy Barbour will be wrestling this season??

December 8, 2001
comments: ..... the wrestling team at Harpers Ferry is now done. When the head coach resigned in September the board never posted the job on the county's internet employment page, leading us to believe they had a new coach. When practice was suppossed to start .... it becaame obvious that there were no new coaches ... it was until after Thanksgiving that the job was posted and by then it was too late to get a coach. So now my son and about 50 other boys can't wrestle. What's bad is that it's to late for anyone to go out for basketball even though more boys wanted to wrestle than went out for all the schools basketball teams combined....... Harpers Ferry is a small school and wrestling was THE sport. It didn't matter who they wrestled they almost always won. They had a trdition that everyone was proud of. The sportamanship was super. My son couldn't wait to go there so he could be part of the team and now he can't wrestle anymore. They went 63-1 the last 2 years and now there's no more team. Why?

December 8, 2001
comments: in everyones talk about how the schools are going to do in the team standings at states, all I hear is how south is going to win again. I think this year south might just finish #2 this year. I can feel it.

December 8, 2001
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: I read with interest Mitch Vingle's article on wrestling in the Kanawha Valley. I find it hard to believe Capital and South Charleston have no teams. Especially South Charleston. The official quoted in the article from that school even stated he didn't know what happened to the mats. This is more sad when you realize when they combined Dunbar (I'm a Dunbar High alumnus) and South Charleston, Dunbar had a good wrestling mat. It's gone too? Although wrestling is not as big in the Kanawha Valley as it is in other parts of the state, it still is competitive (several state champs and place winners through the years and look at Nitro) and it still touches the lives of individuals who participate. I fell in love with wrestling at Dunbar High in the mid-seventies starting with coach Bernie Carnie who talked a few of us football players to stay in shape for football by wrestling over the winter. I fell in love with the sport almost immediately. Although I was not wildly successful the lessons learned and friendships made changed my life forever. Most of my friends in Fairmont and many valued statewide friendships have come about as a result of my 10 years of coaching pee-wee and Jr. High wrestling. Many lessons learned on the mat, from coach Bernie Carnie and coach Chuck Wright (a Stonewall Jackson alumnus and a former Kanawha Valley state wrestling champ) I've applied to a successful career in my pharmacy practice. I would suggest the programs that are still going , not to give up and would hope the people, students and leaders in the schools without programs to work to restart the programs. You never know when you will touch the life of a child in need.

December 8, 2001
comments: Does anyone know which football players are out for the Wrestling team for the Big Reds of PHS????
Check the Parkersburg News article linked to the front of the website

December 8, 2001
comments: Could anyone put the results of the Ripley quad with Nitro, Logan, and Beckley.

December 8, 2001
comments: TO TRIVIAL FAN
THE REASON SOUTH LEFT THE MSAC WAS MAINLY BECAUSE OF FOOTBALL AND IF ONE SPORT LEAVES THEY ALL HAVE TO. THIS WAS NOT A WRESTLING DECISION , BECAUSE WE GAVE UP A FREE WEIGH IN.

December 7, 2001
comments: I was very concerned about the article on the from page of the Charleston Gazette's Sports' Division. Wrestling may be dying at Capitol and other county schools, but Matt Easter will be the first to tell you that it's most effective at Nitro. Wrestling is not a dying sport and I'll be the first to ask the Charleston Gazette to interview the middle school program at Braxton County. I'd like to know the reason for the article and why it was written.

December 7, 2001
comments: Im not sure if Brad is going to have his camp or not im sure he will try yes the East Side Program took a hard hit with this loss. I just hope good coaches are at the PeeWee and Jr. high levels to keep the flow of talented wrestlers coming. Brad if you read this hope your settling in up there. We miss ya already!!

December 7, 2001
comments: One upset that comes to mind for me was in 1996 when Williamstown's Mike Dotson beat Independence's ALL AMERICAN Kevin Acord in the finals. Another one would be when Jay Golden of Pakersburg beat Adam Gorby of North Marion at 112 in the semi's in 96

December 7, 2001
comments: There is alot of talk on WVMAT about Jacob Frerichs. After watching him wrestle last night I think that which ever weight class he competes in he will be a favorite to be around come Saturday night at the state finals. He is a class act and a quiet young man who through hard work and dedication has attained the level of wrestling excellence that he shows every time he takes the mat. Good luck Jacob.

December 7, 2001
comments: i think hdgevil will do good at thest albans dual ..they got a fe outstanding wrestlers and havea god shot at winning it again this year.. they hve a cuplefirstyearwrestlers on the team that nee bewached for the years to come...go hhs

December 7, 2001
comments: To phantatic:
How can you rank John Marshall at 3? You are forgetting a very powerful Nitro with the Easter brothers, Frerichs, Ripley and a strong all around team, look for them to finish at 2 this year.

December 7, 2001
comments: Congrats to "Mr. Guillotine" Brandon Kolb, who delivered a brutal beatdown to his first two opponents, and outconditioned Musselman's Bryan Alley on route to a 8-2 dec, at the Martinsburg Quad Wednesday night. Brandon displayed an extensive arsenal of techniques including throws, tilts, and leg riding. He looked real sharp and was alot of fun to watch. Musselman's Jeff Clark and Justin Jones also looked good. "The One" Billy Barbour will be making his much anticipated return to the mat at the Keyser Duals. This isn't "one" you want to miss.

December 7, 2001
comments: Many seem to have Jacob Frerichs winning either 112 or 119.There may be some competion up north in both those weights in PHS grappler Brandon Rader and South's Shane Grogg. I look for some wrestlers to scramble to other weights when things heat up.Should be fun to watch!May God guide and keep safe all the atheletes this season.Thanks !

December 7, 2001
comments: Is there going to be a Pee-Wee state tournament in Parkersburg this year? Looks like Oak Glen and Fairmont are having tournaments that weekend, is it changed to the following weekend? That's a great tournament, I hope it still happens. Been a big tradition for a long time. What's up with having an AAU state tourney the 2nd week of December? The heart of the season is January and February! Oh well, it'll be a good warmup for the Pksb youth states if they happen. Hope to hear something soon!!!!!

December 7, 2001
comments: good luck to all the guys for williamstwon...they wrestle in richie county on saturday...just wanted to wish them luck!

December 6, 2001
comments: Does anyone know why Parkersburg South left the MSAC and are they looking at joining any other conference? Thanks.

I looked at PSHS's schedule and they are open on the 2nd of Feb. for the MSAC. So apparently them leaving was not a scheduling problem. I can't figure out why they would leave the opportunity to wrestle that many decent teams off of their agenda. Anyone have any inside info.?

December 6, 2001
comments: to upset:
I made a mistake. Josh Coffey didn't beat Adam King, a guy named Ball from Parkersburg.

rhs wrestler
comments: Coffee didn't beat king. Any at all his senior year. King pinned at ripley before states. King got beat by that one kid from parkersburg. Watch out for Ripley this year they have 9 returning state qualifiers.

December 6, 2001
comments: I would like to say good job to the Martinsburg Wrestling team for holding there own against Mercersburg and Musselman. The wrestled hard, and didnt have a full lineup do to football. That would exclude Billy Barbour (who should have a great year) Mike Barbour, and Ryan Bird(who should also be good). With those men to fill in the Bulldog lineup I think they will be a tough team.

December 6, 2001
comments: Recent upset memories: Last year Jeff Courtney(although an outstanding wrestler) upset 2 time state champion Matt Miller in the 171 finals.Correct me if I'm wrong,but I think that may have been Jeff's 1st win against Matt.Perhaps the biggest upset that meant a team championship at states was in 1996 when sophmore Jason Johnson of South pinned senior Rashaan Bates of Fairmont Sr in the 135 finals.It was the 1st of Jason's 3 state titles.

December 6, 2001
email: phanatikwv@yahoo.com
If anyone has any results - please post them to the site. Also, if anyone has any information such as line-ups, inside info, top incoming freshman, sophs, etc. feel free to email me as I will compile my rankings once I have line-ups or results from ALL AAA teams.
Also...look for John Marshall to be a real darkhorse this year to possibly surprise at states - everything seems to have fallen in place this year - a senior-laden line-up, 8 returning qualifiers (all seniors), 4 returning placers, tough dual line-up top-to-bottom, & state title contenders (D. George & C. Taylor).
Parkersburg South, Parkersburg, & John Marshall look to be the top 3 teams in the state so far, in that order.
PHANATIK
phanatikwv@yahoo.com

December 6, 2001
comments: Danny Lord WILL win 145 this year and Ballam WILL win 112

December 6, 2001
comments: To Kanawha Vaklley Fan: Frerichs wrestled 119 at Ripley last night, looks to dominate at that weight.

December 6, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Tyler Cardwell who broke our Milton Middle School record for the fastest fall on Wednesday night. Tyler's win was in 6.0 seconds. The old record of 6.3 seconds was set by Greg Gibson several years ago.

December 6, 2001
comments: Hey does anyone know who beat the Greenbrier East 215? Someone said he went 4-5 and i would like to know who beat him. Thanx.

December 5, 2001
comments: i traveled to Sheldon Clark High School in Kentucky to watch the Greenbrier East team wrestle, and i was truly impressed. all the local talk about them having the best team they've had in years is true. john persinger wasn't able to wrestle at 215, but the JV sophomore 215, brandon roberts, won 4 out of his 5 matches. the varsity 189, jeff capaldo, also performed well. he hyperextended his knee in his second match while pinning an opponent with the "saturday night." however, he did win both matches by pin, and is thus far undefeated. persinger and capaldo may or may not choose to compete in the Beckley Newspapers Invitational this weekend, but if they do compete injured, i still look for them both to win.

December 5, 2001
comments: Comment to Dean Moore; I only have two words for your prediction of a State Championship for AAA 112 weight class- JACOB FRERICHS!

December 5, 2001
email: farmgrit101@yahoo.com
comments: To Upsets:
In 1998-99' Cabel Midland's Josh Coffey beat Ripley's Adam King in the quarterfinals.

December 5, 2001
comments: Does anybody have a schedule for the ST. Albans duels this weekend? Particularly when Independence wrestles or what time wrestling starts both days would be appreciated. Thanks

December 5, 2001
comments: AWESOME MOVIE!!! MUST-SEE FOR ANY WRESTLER/COACH/FAN!!
http://www.reversalthemovie.com/index.html
The Star of the movie - former Washington, PA wrestler Danny Mousetis - actually wrestled in a few Brooke Classic Tournaments, winning @ 135 in 1999.

December 5, 2001
comments: the parkersburg 88 team would hold the 99 martinsburg team scoreless

December 5, 2001
comments: Levi Hovermale is wrestling at Berkeley Springs HS this season.

December 5, 2001
email: uspf@netassoc.net
comments: Just a couple of reminder's regarding the WV state AAU tourney in Parkersburg . Entries are due this week and it is open to WV residents only. Thank you

December 5, 2001
comments: To: Hedgesville Fan
If you are asking about Tommy Carr who wrestled 215 lbs last year, he graduated Wirt Co. He completed marine boot camp this summer and is currently in school for aviation electronics in Panama City, Fl.

December 5, 2001
comments: Just a prediction for the AAA Team Title .The 2 Parkersburg teams battle for the Title and remember this name 112lb freshman Brandon Rader {State Champion}. One of four!!

December 5, 2001
comments: The Middle Alantic National AAU District Wrestling Tournament will be held on March 16, 2002 at Parkersburg South High School. This years Brook district has been cancelled acording to Mike Smith president of the Eastern National Wrestling Tournament. I should have all the information for this tournament by January.

December 5, 2001
comments: To: Bearcat Wrestler
Yes, Morgantown High will have a 130 pounder, infact we will have all 14 weight classes when we come calling on the 12th.

December 5, 2001
comments: Listen folks, we can talk about wrestling or we can talk about grammar. If I make a spelling or grammatical mistake, I would hope that someone would understand that I'm tired, or "I really have forgotten how to spell or speak grammatically." I would assume that the bottom line is that someone wants to talk about wrestling. I'd hate to think that Coach LeMasters would think that I'm not a good coach because I used a double negative. By the way, if we can't support the "best of the best" on this website, how can we promote our wrestlers anywhere. Let's speak to wrestling and encourage good grades, sportsmanship and good wrestling. Belittling folks doesn't get it in my book.

December 5, 2001
comments: I'm looking forward to seeing Brandon Digman wrestle at BCHS. He'll have to win his wrestle-off against another good wrestler at BCHS but if he does - all holds barred. He has the potential to be one of the best at his weight class because he watches and learns in every tournament. If he gives 150% at every practice as he has at BCMS, he'll be hard to stop. Keep working, Dig, in the classroom and on the mat!!!!!

December 5, 2001
comments: - Josh Dearth(PS) over Jason Ward(CM) by disqualification in 1999 in the semi's
- Matt Miller(EF) over Josh Dearth(PS) in 1999 state finals.
- Jason Mays (Hunt.) over Moats(Hedg.) 2001 state finals.

December 5, 2001
comments: The People of the Forum have been graced by the words of "The One" aka "Sir William" aka "Sweet Billy B" aka "B.A. Billy Barbour" aka "Billy Barbour". I think its good that you said "see you on the mat" because thats just where you will silence all the critics. I'd tell you good luck, but you don't need it...its all skill, well mostly skill. Don't Hate, Appreciate

December 5, 2001
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: I always enjoy hearing from Coach LeMasters and I agree with his assessment of the Junior High and Middle School wrestling programs. Braxton is working very hard and we've been quite proud of our program. Coach Bryan and I would like to acknowledge the Spencer Middle School program. With Scotty Boggs returning, as well as Griffin, Jarvis and Jarvis, Wagger, Kendall, Brannard and others, this will be a hard team to beat.

December 5, 2001
comments: I check the forum on occasion and Im surprised that 3 seasons removed from high school wrestling people actually recall my presence in the sport. In regards to these fantasy matches, I dont know how one can say who can beat who when the match never took place. Ive seen and been involved in many matches where the wrestler who was supposed to dominate ends up loosing for what ever reason. While it is interesting to speculate whom could beat whom, let the events on the mat decide. This is not only in reference to the fantasy matches but matches during the season. Basically Im saying, "Let the kids wrestle". You would be suprised how far a little heart will take you on the mat. Good luck...stay healthy...and keep those grades up...
By the way 85-86 Celtics over the 00-01 Lakers any day.

December 5, 2001
email: robert.moore@wirefire.com
comments: Information for eating for wrestlers Book called Food For Sport by Dr. Nathan Smith Unv of Washington talks about proper fat perchentage to compete at, differant meal programs for wrestlers, and how the calories are burned inside the body. Taught out of it the whole time i was at Edison. Some may remember it from college Health course. Followed properly a wrestler can eat and loose or gain weight. Please dont be letting wrestlers of any age wear anytype sweat- suit,or heavy clothing for work-outs. Cool room, and fewest clothes are best for top conditioning. Easier to get the team to work hard in those conditions, and body works the best, if it disapates heat ez... give it a try or read up

December 5, 2001
comments: TO THE PERSON COMPLAINING ABOUT WRESTLERS SPELLING AND GRAMMAR USE JUST WANTED TO SAY GOOD JOB ON YOURS"IT IS A SORRY STATE OF AFFAIRS THAT YOU CAN WRESTLERS,BUT YOU SURE HAVENT LEARNED HOW TO SPELL OR WRITE A CORRECT SENTENCE." GOOD JOB I WANNA KNOW WHO WRESTLERS? GET YOUR OWN SPEECH RIGHT BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE OTHERS.
."PLEASE PROOF YOU COMMENTS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT THEM". MAYBE YOU SHOULD OF DONE THE SAME.

December 5, 2001
comments: For the past several years Fairmont has had a youth tournament at the Armory on the Sunday following the Winners Choice in January. I have not seen anything posted on the tournament web page. If anyone has information in regard to the tournament this year please post the information on the forum or list a site that can be used to obtain the tournament application.

December 5, 2001
comments: In reply to the person who asked about Jr. High and Middle school rankings. I exect the perennial Parkersburg powers Blenny and Edison to be at the top of the Jr. High rankings. Following them would be Charles Town, possibly Beckley Stratton, Moundsville and Harpers Ferry. As far as middle schools go I see Point Pleasant as the #1 team. Others who will be in the top tier include Cammack, Milton, Spencer, Ripley, Braxton, Andrew Jackson and Buchannon Upshur. Also some of last years Jr. highs are now middle schools such as McKinley. This could also effect the rankings. Of course we all do not get the chance to wrestle each other except at WSAZ and some of the Panhandle teams have too far to travel, so it's partly conjecture anyway. Hope this helps.
Coach LeMaster
Milton Middle School

December 5, 2001
comments: hhs fan; someone ask about a person named carr for hedgesville .they have noone by that name. but have freshman 119 named grim who looks good. good luck to all hhs wrestlers. go eagles.

December 5, 2001
comments: I was wondering on what people though was the biggest upsets over the years in the Finals or Semi's at the State tourny in AA and AAA

December 5, 2001
comments: Well, I think that if it was up to me I would put the Martinsburg 99 team against anyone. On another note I wont brag and say comments I dont think possible. Martinsburg has a good team this year. We are young but, we have experience in our youth. We have a couple state qualifier's back and some regional placers. See ya on the mat!

December 5, 2001
email: From: Mark Guthrie email: Guthrie575@msn.com
comments: I am doing a research paper on the dangers of excessive dieting for high school wrestlers. Does anyone have any information in regards to this? If so, please e-mail me and let me know. I am a wrestling coach as well. Thanks

December 5, 2001
comments: I didn't see Hovermale in Berkley's line up on the results. Is he not wrestling?

December 5, 2001
comments: Is Morgantown going to have a 130lbs wrestler when they come to Grafton?

December 4, 2001

Here is my annual pitch to submit scores from matches. This website doesn't amount to much if we don't have scores, because, when all is said and done, what happens on the mat is the only thing that really matters.

Don't hesitate to try out the "Submit scores" pages if you haven't tried them. Go ahead and tinker with them and send some practice stuff. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty quick to key in the results. If anyone has trouble with the "submit scores" pages, let me know.

One good thing about these pages is that you don't need an email client to send them. You can key in the results from any computer that is on line. Mat stats people can send in the results from the computer lab at school the day after the match, if nothing else.

December 4, 2001
comments: I was also impressed with Morgantown's close battle with Fairmont Senior but the Polar Bears had 2 of their wrestlers (HWT SIngleton & 140 pounder) who did not have enough practices and had to forfeit and wrestle exhibition instead. If you count their 1st period pins in the actual score Senior wins 45-19.

Still, Morgantown does have a nice young team. Madia from RCB was also impressive at 130.

December 4, 2001
comments: When did East Fairmont lose their assistant wrestling coach (Brad Petracca)? Will he still have his Circle of Honor Wrestling Camp? If his leave is true . . .it hurts the surrounding area! Please fill me in. Thanks!

December 4, 2001
comments: WVU's Shane Cunanan
http://www.dominionpost.com/a/sports/2001/12/03/ad/

December 4, 2001
comments: WOW! For WVU to finish 2d of 50 teams in the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational is really something. Congratulations. I hope everyone makes a trip to Morgantown to see a match.

December 4, 2001
comments: I have been reading the forum and from what I see some of you need to spend more time on your book work and less time on the mats. It is a sorry state of affairs that you can wrestler, but you sure haven't learned to spell or write a correct sentence. I'm not sure how some of you have the 2.0 to remain eligible. If I were your English teacher you would not pass the course. Please proof you comments before you submit them. It doesn't reflect well on your school when you can't even write a simple sentence.

December 4, 2001
comments: Does anyone have any predictions on middle or junior high school wrestling in the state. I am not sure, and was seeing if anyone would have any comments on what schools will be top ranked and if they have heard about any outstanding wrestlers that they think will have a good year...???

December 2, 2001
comments: Alright to all those who saw the south cabell match knows south a little out of shape but remember there #2in the state and we still won.Congrates to al those who won and good luck to all those who didn't.Watch out for the 2 sets of brothers on they good.The Pickens are both very talented wrestlers with a ability to do any move the want,good luck boys.And what about the Morrisons the younger ones givin up some wieght but i still believe he'll place at state and what can you say about the older one hes's as tough and strong as they come.You'd never know hes a heavy wieght,when he wrestles like a 103 pounder.Look for him to win Ironman and maybe Breckville.Good luck to all those out where behind you.

December 2, 2001
comments: Congradulations are in order for Alex Neal way to go Alex your first goal acheived now on to your second goal. Way to go buddy!!!!

December 2, 2001
comments: Thanks and congratulations to the Cammack Blue Streaks who won their own tournament over the second place Milton Panthers. It was a tough competitive tournament and ran very smoothly and quickly. We'll hook it up again on Dec. 15th at the Ohio vs WV Duals. I was also impressed with a very competitive Andrew Jackson team.
Coach LeMaster

December 2, 2001
comments: Congradulations Morgantown High on your narrow loss to Fairmont Senior 33-31. The team showed fortitude in moving 103 through 125 up a weight class in an attempt to secure a first ever victory over a Fairmont team. Although a loss, this performance demonstrates the vast improvement of Morgantown High, who opened last year with a 71-6 loss to Fairmont Sr, and an 84-0 opener the previous year. Special Cudos to Josh Tanaka and J.R. Downs.

December 2, 2001
comments: WVU 2nd in VEGAS
http://www.dominionpost.com/a/sports/2001/12/02/be/
Morgantown - RCB - Fair Sr
http://www.dominionpost.com/a/sports/2001/12/02/bi/

December 2, 2001
comments: I was at the Morgantown Quad this weekend at MHS and I would just like to say Good Luck to Lucas Cappas because he is a very good wrestler and nice person! I believe he has the ability to win STATE! Good Luck Lucas!!

December 2, 2001
comments: does anyone know whut carr from hedgesville is wrestling????

December 2, 2001
email: pdurant@csrlink.net
comments: Kids will be coming in from all over the country to attend Ken Chertow's upcoming Winter Break Training Camp. Here is the information for interested WV coaches and wrestlers -

Olympian Ken Chertow's annual Winter Break Training Camp is scheduled for Dec 26 - 31, 2001 at the Ramada Inn in State College, PA. Ken has personally designed this camp to give wrestlers a distinct edge over their opponents during the upcoming season. Through a carefully designed sequence of personalized instruction, intense drilling and live wrestling, participants will come to understand the technique, intensity and commitment required to become a champion.

Bruce Baumgartner is just one of many outstanding guest clinicians scheduled for this camp. One of the most accomplished wrestlers in the world, Bruce is the only USA 4 time Olympic Medalist - earning Gold in 1984 & 1992, Silver in 1988 and Bronze in 1996. Among other achievements, he has earned the most ever World medals (9); World Cup medals (13) and US National Champions (15). He was unbeaten in the USA in 16 years and has earned more medals than any wrestler in the world. Bruce is currently President of USA Wrestling.

Don't miss this opportunity to be trained by the best. For complete details see http://www.kenchertow.com

Wrestling coaches are always welcome to attend and observe Ken's camps free of charge. Also the public is invited to attend Bruce Baumgartner's motivational talk scheduled for the evening of Dec 28th. Call for details - 814-466-3466

December 2, 2001
comments: Conditioning has been "key" in the minds of the wrestlers and coaches at BCMS. With 35 wrestlers, we again hope to run two teams. We're looking forward to the start of the season!

December 2, 2001
comments: To South Fan,
I like your comments, can't agree more completely. If you went to the match against Cabell Midland you will probably agree that it's a good thing that the State tourney is 2 1/2 months away because we (SOUTH) need to get some gas in our tank. Seniors looked aggressive, underclassmen looked good, all a little rusty. Definitely don't use the Iron Man as a measuring stick for this year's team due to football playoffs keeping wrestlers' attention a little longer this year, try Brecksville maybe. PHS and SOUTH on the 12th will be interesting, saw Schenny and Troy scouting. Good luck to both Parkersburg teams and Williamstown.

December 1, 2001
comments: To Regionalist: I agree that some re-alignment needs to take place and your picks are as good as any I've seen. The only problem I see is in region 4 where South would clean house and many would scream that they are in a weak region ! Actually when you look at the past and understand that South places most of their wrestlers in the state tourney so it is a mute point which region they are in anyway. South never asked to be placed in region 1 where only 7 teams remain.One very strong team that went to AA from region 1 was Oak Glen.And...when they were there and Brooke,Wheeling Park,John Marshall and Weir were strong in wrestling, no one ever complained ! That aside, I do beleive it is time for some re-alignment. Thanks !

December 1, 2001
comments: I think that a team to watch out for in the A/AA level this year will be Fayetteville. They are returning 4 state qualifiers and are working hard in practice. With almost a full roster the pirates will be a force to be reckoned with.

December 1, 2001
comments: Best wishes to Brad Petracca and his move to Michigan. Thanks for your time and dedication. You have brought so much to East Sides Wrestling Program and much pride to the county. Alot will be missed by parents and the wrestlers. LOVE YOU!

December 1, 2001
comments: All this talk about Martinsburg, Give credit to their football team though at least they are in position to win a state title. If you want to talk about strenth from the panhandle you should turn your attention to Jefferson. They have just about everyone back and add some tough young wrestlers that did well in junior high. With the naming of Chad Billy as new head coach (former 2x Pa state champ and former WVU 2x national qualifier, one match away from all-american status),with his renewed work ethic and discipline this team will be the powerhouse in this region of the state. Martinsburg will not only not beat Hedg. this season they will have a tough time beating Musselman!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page