West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 1999 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 7, 1999
comments: The South has risen!!!! Way to wrestle guys!!!! You make your fans very proud!!! Keep it up and wrestle hard!!! Let's try to keep everyone healthy and have a great season!! Cannon Mac is a tough team and you guys pulled it through!!! Good luck for the rest of the season and your fans will be there supporting you every step of the way!!!! GO SOUTH PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!

December 7, 1999
comments: I cant believe some of you guys especially you left handed wrestlers you think it's OK being stuck in this fascist right-handed world. Well it's not!!! We must revolt and doing so we need to create a separate tournament for southpaw wrestlers. This is no a request---it's a necessity!!!

December 7, 1999
comments: First of all I would just like to Congratulate PHS on their victory in football this weekend! Now I would like to give huge congrats to Parkersburg South on a GREAT weekend of wrestling. Way to go guys! You all looked really great and need to keep up to hard work! Good luck to all of the South team!!! I know you can go all the way if you don't give up! Good luck to Nathan Pickens!!

December 7, 1999
comments: i know there is always a lot of talk about how AA is as good as AAA but i beg to differ. but my opinion does not mean anything so i was wandering if they would give AA a chance to prove themselves by having an all-star match with the AAA state champions against the AA state champions at the end of the year.

December 7, 1999
comments: i was just wondering why nobody thinks of Fairmonts Senior as a top contender for the state title?

December 7, 1999
comments: Is moats going 140 or 135?

December 7, 1999
comments: would anyone care to speak their comments on fairmont sr? Fairmont sponsors the winners choice and they'll be in the runnings to win it also.

December 7, 1999
comments: Any ideas as to the top junior high/middle school programs in the state?

December 7, 1999
comments: Does anyone know what weight class Nick Prather is wrestling this year? And is Kesner from Frankfort dropping to 135? He has dropped a weight class every year. How does he do it?

December 7, 1999
comments: Coming out of Williamstown this year the one kid who will be a surprise to people is Tim Haddox at 119. After 2 years of wrestling up at 125 and 130 he shoud be more than ready to wrestle guys his own size. He should do very well for himself at this weight.

December 7, 1999
email: mgibbs@marshall.edu
comments: Hats off and a job well done to Parkersburg South this weekend. It was a pleasure talking with several of your fans at the CMHS dual. My understanding was that 4 starters were not present. Could mean another solid PSHS crew. Look foward to seeing you at the WSAZ tourney where i hope you will see a solid CMHS roster. What do you think about that boy of mine Chris Gibbs. Please excuse the proud father.
Wrestling Doc

December 7, 1999
comments: To South. I'm going to give you your credit for Friday night. You wrestled really well but CMHS did not have all of their wrestlers. I know If Midland had all their wrestlers it would have been a lot closer. closer of a match. I know you were missing some wrestlers as well. could anyone ass. w/ south please let me know who they are. Thanks

December 7, 1999
comments: The Dragons are looking tough. They have been practicing very hard and they are ready. They will be a team to look out for.

December 7, 1999
comments: Who is wrestling 112 for Cameron and Wirt County

December 6, 1999
comments: Way to go South!!! Three big victories in your opening week-end speaks loud and clear. You are off to a great start. Keep up the good work!! You always make us proud. The fact that the team is so disciplined and good sports on all occasions is such a plus and speaks highly of the wrestlers as well as the coaches!! Keep focused and work hard we love you all!!!

December 6, 1999
comments: Walsh Jesuit High School is NOT in Stow Ohio.
The address:
Walsh Jesuit High School
4550 Wyoga Lake Road
Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44224

December 6, 1999
comments: Tyler Hughes is wrestling either 125 or 130 were not sure yet but Tucker Brown is at 119.

December 6, 1999
comments: Does anybody know which teams will be at the Berkeley Springs Holiday Tournament? I heard there will be a tough Nationaly ranked team there.

December 6, 1999
comments: To lefty from south paul. What is al this lefty stuf your talking about? I don't understand what the diference is. i always thought people went on the mat and just wrestled. i did'nt know there was any advantage or disadvantage. please reply. Thanx.

December 6, 1999
email: Basford2@hotmail.com
comments: Whoever said anything about a left handed wrestler verses a right handed wrestler must be looking too far into things. Also whoever said left handed wrestlers should have a seperate state tournament must not be a very good wrestler. Wrestling is wrestling no matter which had you use. Every left handed wrestler know's we live in a right handed world so there is no point for seperation. I am left handed and I learned my moves from the right side... It isn't hard! Just shut-up and wrestle. Wrestling is all about position and if you don't want to be in one get out of it. Wrestle your match. That's what it is all about anyhow....

December 6, 1999
email: talonterritory@hotmail.com
comments: I'd like to wish good luck to all the Frankfort wrestlers that will be kicking off their season this week. I wish I could be at the Frankfort tournament to cheer for everyone (especially since I'll be studying for finals instead) but classes end late this year... Anyway I'm sure you guys will kick butt for the home crowd. Can't wait to see you at the BS tournament!

December 6, 1999
The WVSSAC has re-assigned the AAA-AA-A classifications to be effective for the 2000-01 year. I don't know if they have officially announced the re-alignment, but we have it on pretty good authority that beginning next year, Grafton will move up to AAA; Philip Barbour and Oak Hill will move down to AA. Of interest to fans of other sports, Doddridge Co and Williamstown move up from A to AA, and South Harrison, Midland Trail, and Oceana move down from AA to A.

December 6, 1999
comments: Fairmont Sr. is a force in the WV wrestling business. Look for them to be back on top of the rankings at years end. good luck bears!!

December 6, 1999
comments: Frankfort should have a very solid team this year. They have three very tough seniors J. Kuykendall J. Litten and P. Kesner. They also have returning state qualifiers N. Wright D. Bosley and D. Long. They also have some other very competitive wrestlers that did not qualify last year that are much improved -- G. butler C. Gabbert and Dustin Bosley. They open their season Dec. 11 at home in the Frankfort Invitational. Good luck Falcons!!!!

December 6, 1999
email: cyclone15@hotmail.com
comments: Walsh Jesuit is in Stow Ohio which is near Akron

I was priveleged enough to attend the scrimage at St Marys wednesday night. Ritchie looks strong St Marys looks like they will be better than last year. Tyler is still improving every year and Ravenswood looks solid. Southern Ohio also participated. This is their 1st year in the sport and showed some potential.

December 6, 1999
comments: Walsh Jesiut is in Cayhogha Falls Ohio it is in the Akron Cleveland area

December 6, 1999
comments: Just to let everyone one know that Coffey was very ill Fri. He will be alright and ready to go this week at Coke duals

December 6, 1999
comments: being a left handed wrestler is difficult. yes it may be an advantage going from the other side but living in this fascist right handed world we lefties are forced to learn the sport from the right handed perspective. IT is difficult and we need a Seperate State tournament. are there any other left handed wreslters who agree? let me know on here

December 6, 1999
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: Thanks for taking my team poll the results are in:
1. Oak Glen -- 33%
2. Cameron -- 12%
Williamstown
4. Braxton -- 7%
5. Calhoun -- 6%
Ritchie -- 6%
6. Wirt -- 1%

10% of votes recieved by others!!

December 6, 1999

comments: Hedgesville participated this past weekend in a tri meet at James Wood Va. In my opinion the Eagles looked very tough. The upper weights are vastly improved. I believe that at full strength the eagles may be able to give the parkersburg teams a run for the state title. That may be only wishful thinking only time will tell.

Right now the team in my opinion can possibly win everything it enters this regular season (states not included yet) but only if they are at full strength. And until some wrestlers get their weights down the TEAM will not be at full strength.... This achievement can only be done through a total team effort. Even with a total team effort the eagles may not win states parkersburg and parkersburg south love em or hate em are loaded but at least at full strength we can make a run. They may be old cliches but the are something I believe in and that it Togther Everyone Achieves More TEAM and there is no I in team.

December 6, 1999
comments: Can somebody help me out and tell me where Walsh Jesuit is? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

December 6, 1999
comments: hedesville is at the winners choice this year.

December 6, 1999
comments: Could anyone tell me how Bumgardener beat Gandee..what was the score and weight?..Where did it happen at?

December 6, 1999
comments: how is ryan bumgardner going to have a chance against tucker brown they wrestled in states last year and brown pinned him. and i would like to know how bumgardner had a chance against gandee when last year gandee pinned him in 18 sec.

December 6, 1999
comments: WHAT IS THE FORMAT FOR THE WINNER'S CHOICE TOURNAMENT? I'VE NOTICED BOTH AA AND AAA WILL BE THERE WONDERED IF THEY WILL GET TO WRESTLE EACH OTHER SOME AND ANSWER SOME BIG QUESTIONS AS TO HOW GOOD CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS ARE. CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS?
Editor's note: Results for the past 3 Winners Choice tournaments are available on this site. Last year, 6 champs were from out of state, 5 were WV AAA, and 3 were WV AA/A. Several teams had to cancel last year because of inclement weather.

December 5, 1999
comments: Does anyone know Capitol's line-up?

December 5, 1999
comments: Does any one know where Ash Gandee is in weight this year..

December 5, 1999
email: jscbowhunter@HOTMAIL.COM
comments: ON MY LAST ENTRY I MEANT TO SAY THAT SOUTH IS PARTICIPATING IN THE WINTER WINNER'S CHOICE TOURNAMENT AT FAIRMONT. RUMOR HAS IT THAT ABOUT 40 TEAMS WILL BE PARTICIPATING...ANYONE HAVE MORE INFO.? CONGRATS TO A. REGALBUTTO FOR SIGNING AT W.V.U. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HEDGESVILLE WRESTLE THIS YEAR. WILL HEDGESVILLE BE AT THIS TOURNAMENT IN FAIRMONT?

December 4, 1999
email: jscbowhunter@hotmail.com
comments: Parkersburg South deafeated Cabell Midland last nite. Today they defeated West Greene PA 61-6 and a very strong Canon McMillan team 33-30 in a triangular at South. They will not be going to the VA. duals they instead will be participating in the Winter's Choice tournament at Fairmont.

December 4, 1999
comments: DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY LINE UPS FOR REGION 3

December 4, 1999
comments: I WAS A SPECTATOR TODAY AT THE INDY SHADY FAYETTIVILLE TRAIL SCRIMMAGE TODAY. IT STARTED OUT WITH JUST TAKEDOWNS AND THEN TOP/BOTTOM COMPETITION. THERE WAS A GOOD SHOWING FROM INDY. THEY WERE MOSTLY DOMINANT. BUT THERE WAS ALSO A GOOD SHOWING FROM SHADY. SHADY WAS ALSO IN THE ABSENCE OF ANDREW KINCAID AND SAM LILLY. REGION 4 AA/A SHOULD BE FUN TO WATCH THIS SEASON.

December 4, 1999
Parkersburg South will not be going to the Virginia Duals this season. (Jan.7 - 8.) Instead they will be at the Winners Choice Tournament on Jan. 14-15.
Editor's note: This comes from a pretty reliable source; don't be surprised to see it happen...

December 4, 1999
email: comments: Tucker Brown may have high hopes for winning states this year but i note that he has been defeated by Ash Gandee who was defeated by Ryan Bumgardner Dec. 1st at a match this year and he's already down to 119 . Also Ash Wenmoth is down to 125 and looking good ....

December 4, 1999
email: MandaLouise99@yahoo.com
comments: I would just like to wish good luck to all South Wrestlers! I miss all you guys.Also I would like give a special good luck to Casey and Chris Daggett! I know you will make your brother extremely Proud!

December 4, 1999
comments: I was just wondering how is Tucker Brown going to be a state champion at 119 if Tyler Huges is there? What weights are these two going?

December 3, 1999
comments: hey i saw on the wrestlingreport.com page that parkersburg south is competing at the reno nv tournament of champions on dec 20/21. this is not on the schedule posted here. does anyone know if they are going? let us know. according to the page this tournament will have 88 teams competing with many of the top teams in the country there.

December 3, 1999
comments: what would it matter if a wrestler is left handed or not? they usually have an advantage due to that most wrestlers learned the other way. wrestling is wrestling no matter what hand one uses

December 3, 1999
comments: Good Luck To The Huntington High Wrestling Team hope you all have a great season! and see you all at the states in 2000
http://members.xoom.com/wrestlinghhs/entrance.htm

December 3, 1999
comments: Tyler Hughes is down to 119 and his brother runnerup Jeff is almost down to 140. Wyatt will kill at '89 Remember Brandon Kupfer Y'all!! Hey just like my man Chris Rock always sayin' "Tiger Woods Y'all! Tiger Woods Y'all!" This year it's gonna be; "Tyler Hughes Y'all! Tyler Hughes Y'all!" That boys my dog.....

December 3, 1999
comments: Well it is getting close to the time for the first match! I want to wish everyone the best of luck. Wrestle hard and you will be rewarded. If you work hard you will be rewarded. The fate of your season falls in how hard you work in the pratice room as well as how hard you wrestle during a match. Eveyone good luck! "and @nArChy for AlL"

December 3, 1999
comments: Wyatt O'Neil from Cameron is going to look tough at 189. He will be one to watch. Don't let this suprise you he put on alot of weight during the off season.

December 3, 1999
comments: Good luck Dragons!!!!!!!

December 3, 1999
comments: I would just like to say good luck to both South and Cabel Midland on the match tonight let make it through without any injuries. Special Good Luck to Mike Bosley and J.J. Schmitt. Go Big Blue!

December 3, 1999
comments: Huntington- Mays 145 or 152 Thomas at 160

December 3, 1999
comments: i hear that parkersburg and south will have a great year but what do they have coming back this year. Why don't they put there wrestlers grade in the state wrestling book if they are as good or beter than last year what are they hiding. I will tell you our lineup because we dont hide anything. ballam at 103 drappo at 112 trittapoe at 119 but bowers will mostlikely drop to 119 shetler at 130 which he will go to 125 after bowers drops to 119 danny lord at 135 will go to 130 hess at 135 moats at 140 regalbuto at 145 snyder at 152 dunham at 160 everhart at 171 baker at 189 jones at 215 so if you plan to dodge any of these wrestlers start loosing wreight now. We don't hide anything if you think you can beat it we will be looking for the challange.

December 2, 1999
comments: to anyone: There will be a number of people meeting in the mat chat at 10 pm tonight (12-1-99) Aight See ya There

December 2, 1999
comments: ledbetter moved to florida

December 2, 1999
comments: i havent seen anything on the Capital Christmas youth tourny in charleston...has anyone heaard anything?

December 2, 1999
email: esparks@access.k12.wv.us
The Midland - South match is starting at 6 pm on Friday so as to help people make the MAC championship game in Huntington.

It has been interesting watching our line up and predictions being posted on the site. Especially the line up even before we had wrestle offs. But I guess that rumors always are going to be out there... does make it kinda fun I guess but for those who are interested the Midland line up should look something like this:
103: Childers
112: Stanley
119: Gibbs
125: Stanley
130: Chapman
135: Walters
140: Arbes
145: Burger
152: McCormill
160: Diamond
171: Bowen
189: Coffey
215: Frazieer
275: Childers
Of course as normal everthing is subject to change and our line up will change through out the season as others make weight and have enough practices . We do hope anyone in the area Friday will stop by and catch the match. The last two years our dual has been decided by the 275 pounders and the last time at Midland we had the largest crowd in Midlands history until the Huntington dual broke that record later that year.I'd like to wish all the wrestlers around the state good luck and good health this season see you all in Huntington in Feb. GO KNIGHTS!!

December 2, 1999
West Liberty Opens it's season tonight at home Starting time is 6:30. Tonights projected line-up
125: Marshall Brooks- Fr. Cadiz, Oh.
133: --Wes Watson- Jr. West Greene, Pa.
141: --Lamont Tucker- Sr. Martins Farry, Oh.
149: Nick Spencer- Sr. Edison, Oh.
157: Jeff Lamonte- Fr. Buckie Local, Oh.
165: Sam Stewart- So. Braxton County, WV.
174: -*Steve Massouth- Sr. Jackson, Oh.
184: Ryan Coartney- R-So. Fairmont Senior, WV
197: -*Josh Waugh- Jr. Berkley Springs, WV
287: Aaron Conklin- Jr. West Greene, Pa.

WV Wrestlers Also Wrestling Tonight:
Jason Scott 149
AJ Monseau 149

December 2, 1999
email: leftysouthpaw@hotmail.com
comments: I think there should be a seperate State Wrestling Tournament for left-handed wrestlers. Anyone Agree? Think of all the great left-handed wreslters there are in the state

December 2, 1999
comments: Does anyone know what weight class Bobby Ledbetter from Calhoun will be wrestling this year? Thanks!

December 2, 1999
comments: who does Cabel Midland Huntington and Point Pleasant have wrestling at 152 and 160? just checking.

December 2, 1999
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: Hi
I am starting to recieve some lineup projections if anyone gets the chance AFTER WRESTLE-OFFS!!! email me your lineup and I'll post it on your team page. Also during season if you would pictures of you wrestlers in action or would like your wreslters pictures shown on the lineup email them to me and I'll put them up. http://wvaa.homepage.com
Thanks
WVAA

December 1, 1999
comments: AS A FAN FOR THE PAST 3-DECADES I HAVE ENJOYED AAA AND AA EQUALLY AS WELL. THERE HAVE BEEN TRULY DOMINATE WRESTLERS IN BOTH CLASSES. THE MOST MEMORABLE IN MY MIND WERE MASON LANTZ PICKENS DMOORE GTUTTLE CHERTOW ROWELL AND JOHNSON. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY MANY OTHERS WHICH I HAVE ENJOYED WATCHING. SOUTH HAS A TEAM WHICH ALL TEAMS TRIES TO BE LIKE THEY ARE WELL DICIPLINED AND NEVER SAY DIE. PARKERSBURG IS ALSO VERY RICH IN TRADITION AND CAN NEVER BE COUNTED OUT. DO "NOT" MAKE A DECISION ON THE MATCH BETWEEN SOUTH AND PHS ON DEC 15 AS MANY OF THE PHS WRESTLERS WILL BE PLAYING FOOTBALL THRU DEC 4 AND THERFORE WILL NOT BE ABEL TO FULFILL THE REQUIRED PRACTICES. ALSO DON'T BE SUPRISED TO SEE A FEW NEW FACES ON THE PHS TEAM.(SOME ARE CONSIDERED DOMINATE FOOTBALL PLAYERS) #41 #51. ENJOY THIS SEASON AND REMEMBER THE MATCHES ARE WON/LOST ON THE MAT NOT THE STANDS...

December 1, 1999
email: hawkeye@citynet.net
comments: I would like to say good luck to all the boys wrestling this year and hope no one gets hurt. Also I would say good luck to all the parents out there. Don't be upset if your son or daughter loses and be happy if he wins. Remember it is his or her sport. Life goes on win or lose. Treasure all the matches because before you know it they graduate and you don't have a son to root for. Remember they all are winners.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page