West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 2000 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 18, 2000
comments: Peck(clay)is staying at 215 but i would be worried about Gibson(calhoun) who looked really good against Peck this week. So Six(Oak Glen) might not be on top this year. Good luck guys.

December 18, 2000
comments: I would like to thanks Bruce Short for the excellent job he did with the Berkeley Springs Holiday Invitational. The computerized program and someone who knew how to operate it was invaluable. Thanks.

I would also like to thank all of the table workers and volunteers who made the tournament a success. A special thanks to Rosemarie Horz and Janice Widmyer.

December 18, 2000
comments: Point started off the season ruff at st. albans but last weekend at Logan Ohio they looked unbeatable winning the tourny. the notts carrs and bonecutters all looked good.

December 18, 2000
comments: I believe that Wyatt O niel will be tough at 189 this year. He will be ready for states.

December 18, 2000
comments: To all who haven't noticed: There were at least 4 WV boys starting in varsity spots when the Mountaineers faced Clarion. Coach Turnbull and his staff have always gotten critiqued for not recruiting in-state wrestlers and I think that can now be put to rest. Good Luck Mountaineers!

December 18, 2000
email: southfan@n2wrestling.com

comments: 1995 vs. 2001- Who was the best South team of all time

103 – Dustin Collins(95) vs. Steven Boone(01) Dustin Collins(95) was a runner up at 103. Steven Boone(01) will be lucky to get top six at state. I think Collins would win fairly handily. Advantage: Collins(95)

112 – Chad Smith(95) vs. Shane Grogg(01) Chad Smith(95) was state champ. Shane Grogg(01) is only a sophomore. If both were seniors Shane would own Chad but in his soph. year I it would be a great match. I still think Shane could be a 3-time state champ. Shane would win but by the slimmest of margins. Advantage: Grogg(01)

119 – Zach Hasse(95) vs. Ryan Metz(01) Zach Hasse(95) finished the season 20-0. State Champ. Ryan Metz(01) looks strong so far this year with a huge win over Stevens (a two-timer from PHS). I think Hasse had too much talent though. Even in his sophomore year Hasse would be too much for Metz. Advantage: Hasse(95)

125 – Justin Mulenix(95) vs. Matt Bosley(01) Justin Mulenix(95) was a runner up and a good wrestler. Matt Bosley(01) I think has too much strength and talent. This would be a close match. Bosley would come out on top. Advantage: Bosley(01)

130 – Chad Walters(95) vs. Bryce Pickens(01) Chad Walters(95) was a sophomore that year and finished second next two years he would finish third. Bryce Pickens(01) is a sophomore too. He may get top six at state but not second. Pickens still has a lot of learning to do he will get there. But too little too late Walters could take him. Advantage: Walters(95)

135 – Mike Goff(95) vs. John Duncan(01) Mike Goff(95) finished sixth nothing spectacular. John Duncan(01) has placed both his sophomore year and junior year at state. He seems too be a hard worker. As a senior he would beat Mike Goff. Advantage: Duncan(01)

140 – Heath Greathouse(95) vs. J.J. Schmidt(01) Heath Greathouse(95) finished runner up for the second year in a row. J.J. Schmidt(01) is a good wrestler but I believe Heath would win this match. Advantage: Greathouse(95)

145 – Bobby Roberts(95) vs. Sonny Dye(01) Bobby Roberts(95) was state champ as a senior. Something Sonny Dye(01) will not be. I think this match would be one-sided. Roberts is too strong. Advantage: Roberts(95)

152 – Bobby Morris(95) vs. Nathan Pickens(01) Bobby Morris(95) was a state champ as a senior. Nathan Pickens(01) is a very wrestler. If he gets ahead of you you are done. If you get up on him sometimes he doesn’t do as well. This would be a close match possibly OT. Advantage: Draw (could go either way)

160 – Jason Duncan(95) vs. Casey Daggett(01) Jason Duncan(95) lost a close match to finish second. Casey Daggett(01) is a excellent wrestler and the first South wrestler to ever win the Ironman Invitational. Duncan was good but this is Casey’s year. He has a chance to be MOW in my mind. Daggett has too much skill for Duncan to handle. Daggett hands down I would bet the farm on it. Advantage: Daggett(01)

171 – Kevin Wigal(95) vs. Chris Daggett(01) Kevin Wigal(95) came out of nowhere to finish second at the state tournament. But Chris Daggett(01) has enormous strength. And he is already a state champ. He has a shot at being a 3-timer only thing standing in his way is a possible 4-timer. As for Wigal though Daggett would own him. Advantage: Daggett(01)

189 – Jeremy Crites(95) vs. Matt Wright(01) Jeremy Crites(95) was a runner up at state. The 2001 team has shuffled people around the 189 lb. Class. I think it will end up being Matt Wright(01) being the starter. Crites would probably pin Wright. The 189 lb. Class might be the weakest on the 2001 team. Whoever it ends up being Crites would win. Advantage: Crites(95)

215 – Mike Sharpe(95) vs. Aaron McCartney(01) In 1995 there was no 215 lb. Class but if there were everybody knows Mike Sharpe(95) would have been at it. He would have been a sophomore. His next two years he finished 3rd. Aaron McCartney(01) already has one 3rd place finish as a junior. This year he took 2nd at the Ironman and could very well be a state champion this year something Sharpe was not. I think the senior McCartney would take the sophomore Sharpe. Advantage: McCartney(01)

275 – Tony Williams(95) vs. Chris Morrison(01) Tony Williams(95) took 6th place at state. No big deal. Chris Morrison(01) emerged from the woodwork after a successful pee-wee and junior high career. Chris took 3rd at the Ironman. This kid has incredible strength. He will be a force at state. Morrison would have owned Williams. Advantage: Morrison (01)

December 18, 2000
comments: david hart will not be wrestling for braxton this year. But braxton still has two wrestlers out with injuries. Andy Stewart will be returning the 30th at 160 and matt harper will return in january at 171. that will make the upper weights stronger with those two plus noah shaver who is at 189. he just moved there last year from indiana PA. He is an excellent wrestler in my opinion.

December 18, 2000
comments: To INDY FAN: Hey in case you didn't get the news Barnette is out for the year with a tore acl those predictions look nice but I think we should wait just a bit longer to determine everyone's exact place btw out line up is
103: Snuffer (soph)
112: Blake (jr)
119: Conley (sr)
125: Sexton (jr)/Mills (soph)
130:" "
135: Rhodes (soph)
140: Gilson (jr)
145: Wood (jr)
152: Bolen (sr)
160: Rhodes (jr)
171: Brown (sr)
189: Moyer (sr)
215: stewart (sr)
275: Keaton (jr)/Patrick (sr)

December 18, 2000
comments: To wrestla: Stewart wrestled heavyweight last year Peck did wrestle 215 this past weekend I don't know if he intends to move or not Pugh's record is 0-0 as he has not wrestled yet. To address another individual who is to say Six is the top man? It is a very good weight class anyone could come out on top. However I do think Jeff Noechel will be the AAA champ.

December 18, 2000
comments: Don't forget about Aaron McCartney (215-Parkersburg South) he placed well in the state tournament last year he was 2nd in the Ironman this year watch out for him at 215 down at state

December 18, 2000
comments: AAA's 152 lb. weight class should be very tough this year. (shindler mace pickens futten george snider and many other will all be in the 152 lb. weight class).

December 18, 2000
comments: Why isnt the Berkley Springs Independence Williamstown and Wirt Co. Quad on for Headlining events is it not good enough for HEAD LINING events cause its not AAA???????
Editor's note: Nah, just overlooked it last night at midnight....

December 18, 2000
comments: Does anyone have results of the Berkley Springs Tourney and the Tyler Tourney???
Note: Our good friend Bruce Short sent complete Berkely results this AM. Don't know about Tyler....

December 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Huntington High Wrestling Team and coaching staff for winning the North Myrtle Beach Classic. Eight kids in the finals with six champions. 10 of 13 wrestlers placed in the top 3. Also congratulations to Robbie Williams for being named Most Outstanding Wrestler. Robbie dominated the 2-time South Carolina State Champion enroute to the 130 lb. title. Good luck in Indiana this week.

December 18, 2000
comments: K F That was a good one on Mitch Smith! I am sure that you will see Mitch and his brother Matt wrestle for Ripley next year. Hopefully they will be able to stand beside one another having their pictures taken as State High School Champions.

December 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to all the teams that competed at Berkely Springs this weekend. There was alot of good competetion up there.Hedgesville Independence and Cameron lead the way for the West Virginia schools.For whoever attended what was the best match of the tournament? Pleases respond

December 18, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Hedgesville Eagles on there performance at the Berkeley Springs Ivitational this weekend. Special congrats to Danny Lord for winning the tournament at the 140lbs. weight class. I also think Mr. Lord has a great shot at winning the state tournament in Feb. Good luck to him and the rest of the Eagles this season. GO EAGLES.

December 18, 2000
comments: I want to Congradulate Ryan Metz for the dedication he has given to the sport of wrestling. He has lifted all summer and has done very well preparing himself for the upcoming season. He wrestled a gret match against Parkersburg High Schools Matt Stephans and won. If things go well for Ryan you should see him in the High School state finals at 119.Also Coach Schedder has done a great job with the entire team over the summer. This just might be the most physical team that south has ever had.

December 18, 2000
email: crossfire6@Yahoo.com
comments: Tucker Brown Camron e-mail me with your e-mail address.
Blake Huber Northern Garrett

December 18, 2000
comments: I'd like to thank Coach Stef and Brian Montgomery for an excellent and well run tournament on Saturday. I've never seen a school where so many teachers were involved for such a good cause (making food for the hospitality room(s) running concessions handling the scorers' tables etc.). I think you had about 20 faculty members involved which speaks oodles for your school and sense of school spirit. When our school has run tournaments I can't remember ANY of our faculty members offering to help! You're lucky to be teaching at a school with such cohesiveness! Also besides the great food for the coaches' hospitality room you even had one for the kids (definetly a first and you did it knowing it would cut into concessions. I like your priorities!) The refereeing was great all the teams shook hands and I didn't hear one coach complain about one thing the whole tournament. The whole feeling of the tournament was very relaxed and laid back. Many thanks again to the entire Braxton County Middle School staff for your hospitality. Good luck to your team and we will be pulling for you guys the rest of the season.
P.S. We would love to end our season wrestling you guys one last time in our last match of the season. It would be a great way for friends to say good-bye!

December 17, 2000
comments: I was wondering about the 215lb. weight class....what are this years records of six weaver raban and pugh. Is Peck definetly wrestling 215 and what weightclass did stewart wrestle last year.

December 17, 2000
comments: I would like to congradulate UHS on their great performance in NY. Nathan Kinsley (125) won the Amityville tournament for the third straight year by pin. Kyle Turnbull (112) made an impressive showing by winning his first high school tournament while Jeff Perroots (135) captured second place by losing a tight match in the finals. Donnie Hill (160) and Matt Thompson (171) also received second place. Good luck in the rest of your season hawks.

December 17, 2000
comments: AA 215 is a pretty tough weight class but if u have noticed the top kid in that weight class is greg six and jeff noechel from east fairmont has major decisioned him or more both times they have wrestled so aaa 215 is a much more difficult weight class good luck bees jeff and corey.

December 17, 2000
comments: AA 215 should be a tough weight class this year. Look at who all you have: Six(OG) Weaver(Mag) Shaver(Brax) Clark(BS) Keener(Graf) Peck(Clay) Rayban(Rav) Karr(Wirt) Gibson(Cal) Dillon(Richwood) Stewart(Ind) Mc.Neely(WE).
AAA 171 should be the hardest. For it features: Miller(EF) Courtney(FS) Jackson(Mar)(not sure on this one) Dunham(Hed) Wallace(Park) Daggett(PS) Thomas(Hunt).

December 17, 2000
comments: I was wandering when the individual and team standings might be published on this site or any other one
Editor's note: I don't look for any coaches polls until January...

December 17, 2000
comments: Rumor has it that Mitch Smith of the Patriots will be dawning NITRO colors next year as a freshman!! They already have a singlet with his name on it! GO NITRO WILDCATS!!!

December 17, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Hedgesville Coach Whittington and his Eagles for a 3rd place finish at the Berkeley Springs Max Horz Jr. Holiday Invitational 12/15-12/16. A big thanks to the Berkley Springs' folks responsible for a well run tournament. Eagles: I'd like to commend you on your outstanding wrestling and sportsmanship. You're doing a great job - keep it up! Luv ya - A

December 17, 2000
comments: The two referees at the Braxton County Middle School Tournament this Saturday were absolutely superb! Both refs looked liked they really enjoyed what they were doing explained mistakes to the kids talked constantly with the coaches after the matches to clarify any questions and laughed and had a good time. I never heard one word of unhappiness directed at either ref and that is a first I can ever remember at any multi-duals tournament! Mike Kirby and Ted Cline you were both EXCELLENT! Only wish you would ref more matches when my favorite teams are present!!!

December 17, 2000
comments: Will David Hart be wrestling for Braxton this season. I was just wondering if he was going to come back and try to finish out a nice high school career... It would be a shame if he didn't!

December 17, 2000
comments: I wonder if anyone ever takes the time to thank a good ref on this forum. Yes they get paid for what they do but I don't mind paying them if they do a good job. We had two of the best today at the Braxton Co. Middle School Invitational in Mike Kirby and Ted Cline. Check out the credentials before you get a ref coaches. You're making the call!! We did and we had the best!!

December 17, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Oak Glen on their victories over East Fairmont and Fairmont Senior.Those are two impressive wins.With that said we still look forward to Jan.6th in New Cumberland when South comes to town.This dual should be very entertaining for us fans.

December 17, 2000
comments: On December 14 someone inquired about Currey from Ravenswood. He is out for his Senior year because he was injured in practice and will not be able to return to wrestling. What a shame for such a fine athlete!

December 17, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: I would be interested in knowing if Ripley did hire Elizabeth Taylor as their assistant wrestling coach. As a coach who feels very strongly about "good coaches" whether they be male or female I would hope that she would contact me at one of my e-mail addresses. She could check the e-mail directory under Stephanie Montgomery. Thanks Dr. Miller for your clarification.

December 17, 2000
comments: I would like to say good job to the Beckley Central Eagles this weekend at the Capital Challenge our 7 boys (Drew Rusty Chris Zack Carter John Mikey) wrestled hard for there first tourney of the year I know you will do better as the year goes on. Congrats to:
Mikey Denny 6&U UNL 1st
Rusty Shelton 11&12 65 2nd

December 17, 2000
comments: Calhoun is looking strong at the Hardwood duals. My Favorite weight class 215 is not looking that well not a whole lot of kids out. But 2 of the best at the class match up Donnie Peck(clay)and Charlie Gibson(Calhoun)wrestled and went all three and Peck won 7-3 a good tough match but Gibson is out of shape so I think in the LKC these 2 are on top.

December 17, 2000
comments: Good job this weekend Beckley-Stratton. Congratulations also to Beverly Hills you guys have a great team and are a class act. Get back at it hard in the mat room this week Bulldogs and good luck at Point Pleasant this coming weekend. Get well quickly Zack Evans we need you back on the mat as soon as possible.

December 17, 2000
comments: Travis Durst is wrestling 152. Richard Stotler is at 189 but will go down to 171 again later on this year.Also 140 is one of the toughest classes in the state this year. A bunch of you are talkin about how good 171 is this year. Where were you last year? With the exception of Daggett the same people are the. Dunham from Hedgesville is at 171 this year too. Last year four of the top 5 171 pounders in the state were in Region 2. Region 2 is up there among the toughest region in the state arguement.

December 17, 2000
email: wvgrappler@citynet.net
comments: Congratulations to Beverly Hills Middle School on being the overall and middle school team champions of The Raleigh General Hospital Tournament of Champions with a 9-1 record. You guys may have the best middle school team in the state and will stack up well against any Junior High. Congratulations to our guys on being the Jr. High team champions with a 9-1 record and to Sean Meade-85 Tyler Wilson-110 Joe McQuillen-123 and Nick Llado-165 on winning individual titles.

December 17, 2000
comments: I would like to congratulate Calhoun on their outstanding performance at the Hardwood Duals Tournament. They crowned 12 champions during pool play only losing one individual match. They then took on the top 3 teams from the other pool starting with Braxton and gaining the win. They faced Clay (who was undefeated) next beating them 57-21 and then beat Hurricane 77-6. Congratulations to Chris Morris Eric Metz Jeff Morris Casey Stewart Denny Cottrell Ray Burge and Jeremy Laughlin for finishing undefeated.

December 17, 2000
comments: I read that Wyatt O'Neil was back out for wrestling for Cameron this year?. Hope this is the case. Has been a pleasure to watch him on the mat as well as on the football field. Congrats on the All-State football selection.

December 17, 2000
comments: i'd like to see this be an open forum..where anybody can submit what they like...is this not what the constitutional amendment protecting freedom of speech stood for?..go big reds!

December 16, 2000
comments: Does anyone have complete results of the Brooke Tournament? What I mean by complete is Semifinals Quarterfinals Consolations e.t.c They always had posted complete results in the past. Good luck to all Marion County Wrestlers in 2001 as well as all of West Virginia.

December 16, 2000
comments: I wanted to wish the nitro boys good luck today at Kyser. I know you all will make nitro proud. I also wanted to give a special bit of encouragement to Nitro's 160 Matt Barnes.

December 16, 2000

comments: Dunbar High School had a female assistant coach in the school year 1974-1975 Daphene Hensley. She may have been the first. If anyone knows of one earlier than this let us know. Ms Hensley was quite tough and loved the kids. I'd hire her now if the opportunity arose.

December 16, 2000
comments: I just saw in our local paper where Ripley High School has hired Elizabeth Taylor as an assistant wrestling coach. She is a great person and will do an outstanding job. She seems to really care about the wrestlers and will help them attain their goals. She has been working with the team unofficially for the last couple of years and the wrestlers seem to connect with her and respect her. I just wanted to wish her good luck and hope that this trend with women wrestling coaches continues.

December 16, 2000
comments: To fan about the chancellor:
Wow!!! A wrestling question and not an attack on an opposing school. A chancellor is like a headlock but instead of going outside the opponents arm with your arm on the near side with the head in the ribs (like a headlock should be executed) you've got an underhook and your head is above your opponents shoulders preferrably with and angle...some call it a "cement job" (I think). Many kids use the upper body in order to turn their opponent with this move but it's most effective when the hips are torqued...It's been a while but I think I'm correct about the name of the move.

December 16, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: I would like to say a special "thanks" to our volunteer coaches Randy Woods George Dennison and Tony Hardway. They have given Coach Bryan and I and our wrestlers their time and expertise and are doing a superb job. I know there is considerable controversy concerning the use of volunteer coaches but we definitely have some of the best. I also want to thank the parents of the Braxton Co. Middle School Wrestling team for all they have done to help us with our tournament tomorrow. And I would be remiss if I didn't also thank the teachers and coaches from our school who have volunteered to work or supply food for our tournament. We have 17 faculty members who are keeping score timing selling tickets working concessions or preparing food. I hope all of the BCMS wrestlers realize the support they have from parents community and school. Good Luck Knights!

December 16, 2000
comments: Rumor has it that Ms. Elizabeth Taylor has been hired as the assistant wrestling coach at Ripley. The positon was open and no one else was interested. Does anyone know if there has ever been another female to coach wrestling in this state. I would like to send my congrats to her. I think she will to a fantastic job. This goes to show that wrestling is gaining more interest in many people. Good luck vikes.
Editor's note: Sure, several that I can think of (well, er, at least 3).

December 16, 2000
comments: Looks like this year is going to be another good year for JR. HIGH wrestling. Looks like between the two tournaments (WSAZ, WOOD COUNTY CLASH) that we can determine another top ten list for JR. HIGH. I agree with the statement made earlier on the forum" to be considered one of the toughest you must wrestle the toughest". My only disapiontment is that OAK GLEN does not go to the WSAZ. If so this year would be one of the toughest WSAZ in history. I understand that P.SOUTH is traveling to OAK GLEN. Wouldnt it be a great JV match if either one of the SOUTH's feeder schools (EDISON or BLENNERHASSETT preferably BLENNERHASSETT since they beat EDISON in their first match.) could travel along with the high school boys and wrestle. Anyway enough dreaming. I commend Harpers Ferry for going to the WSAZ. GOOD LUCK TO ALL JR. HIGH WRESTLRS. YOU ARE OUR HIGH SCHOOLS FUTURE.

December 16, 2000
comments: to oak glen fan 125 pounder(ford) is a sophmore 130 pounder (h. delligatti) was gettin down from 140 and there 145 pounder (wolfe) is a sophmore

December 16, 2000
comments: Will Mitch Smith of the Patriot Wrestling club go to high school at Ripley or at South? Would like to see him at PSHS wearing a South Patriot singlet someday. Good luck to all this year.

December 16, 2000
comments: Does fairmont senoir not have anyone at 125 130 or 140 because I was at brooke and i don't think they had anyone at these classes or was someone sick or injured?

December 15, 2000
comments: We would like to wish Beckley-Stratton good luck this weekend at the Raleigh General Hospital tournament.And we would like to wish Zach Evans a speedy recover and hope he can rejoin the team when he gets better

December 15, 2000
comments: I am writing this to implore both hedgesvillefanm and hedgesville parent to tone down their recent submissions about each other. There is just too much negativity it's too personal and it comes across as petty. I too cringed at the comment made about Parkersburg South "B" team going to St. Albans to scout us out. But challenging him to a wrestling match is not the answer and was even more embarassing to read. Perhaps you both should revisit former coach's words of wisdom on december 10. The one thing that is clear is that you are both passionate about hedgesville wrestling. That is a good thing since not all teams have that same enthusiam from the people in the bleachers. No matter what your role whether its picking your kid up from practice or making personal sacrifices or just cheering from the stands - everyone is important and has contributed in some way to the gradual rise of the program. What has been accomplished in the past dozen years is truly something to be proud of. I would also like to thank everyone for posting descriptions about our matches as I no longer live in the panhandle. It helps me stay informed.

About the schedule - I too would like to see us wrestle in a dual format against certain other teams - Both parkersburgs the marion county teams the cabell county teams and northern and southern garrett in particular (we used to travel to parkersburg south in the late 1980s). Maybe some of those teams will be at the Wheeling duals. On the other hand we do have a pretty good schedule. St. Albans duals were more competitive this year the Wheeling Duals should be tough it is good to see what the Virginia teams have to offer and unlike ten years ago we are very competitive overall in our tournaments. At any rate it is better than wrestling a full third of your matches against the same two wrestlers from Martinsburg and Jefferson like in years past. Variety is always good. Good luck to Coach Whittington and his Eagles and I hope I did not offend anyone.
Editor's note: While I am in favor of lively discourse, I agree that there are a few threads on this forum which are getting pretty stale. Most of the posts which make it on this page look pretty tame in comparison to some of the stuff which gets deleted (smile). At any rate, I have decided to "stick a fork" in some of these arguments, and consider them done. The last thing I want to do is add negative distractions to our athletes and coaches. They don't need targets placed on their backs courtesy of WV-Mat. Apologies to those who disagree...

December 15, 2000
comments: Winning a couple of matches and becoming an all american isn't as easy as you might think. Considering everyone at that tournament has been 1st or 2nd in their respective states at one time or another or they were an all american at a NHSCA tournament. So 4th In the country is pretty good no matter how many people are there. I believe a Mr. Regalbuto was 4th last year try telling somebody he's not any good. As for you someone who has obviously never seen that tournament only read about it I can assure you 4th place is pretty incredible. I can think of quite a few wrestlers who went up there and did nothing. Joe Heath for example or J.P Stanley Josh Coffey Matt McNees(State Champ from Maryland) and Jared Walters. I respect your knowledge of past state tournaments yes Shetler did lose in the state quarters.

December 15, 2000
comments: To Hedgesville parent. I know who you are addressing your comment to. Please if you don't know who it is don't say anything. I wrestled for hegesville 4 years and he didn't miss one match. As i recall which is very rare since nobody really supports the wrestling team. He was at everyone of my matches and is always there for me. And Yes he has done his share of deads in wrestling. We have enough trouble on keeping souths big mouths shut and we don't need to be fighting with one of are biggest fans ever. Come on.

December 15, 2000
comments: To Superman: Don't mess with me. Shetler lost to Reed in the quarter finals. Reed also finished 4th at nationals and there was only 16 kids in the bracket. Come on. You win a couple of matches and your an all american. Yes Collins is good but he is not a bad dude like you said. And for Stevens. He is good but is not proven yet. As for the Shetler match. It doesn't matter who was on there back in the first 15 seconds. Who was on their back the last 15 seconds. As for shetler being on his back. I have seen him on his back a respectfull amout of times. And i don't recall anybody saying Metz would beat Stevens. So come on and try something else. I know my stuff.

December 15, 2000
comments: I wish people would stop writing in all "CAPS". It's very rude and disgusting and I just move on past it. If you have something to say put it down in words that define your intelligence. To say something in all caps shows you are already shouting and struggling to get air. Don't let your opposition know you are already down!

December 15, 2000
comments: South and Fairmont East do wrestle Feb. 10th. Yes I do know what Im talking about. They were put into south schedule late so it will not be on the schedules.If you dont beleive me ask Fairmont Senior's or Parkersburg South's head Coaches.
Editor's note: I've had more than one person assert that this match has been added...

December 15, 2000
comments: To: Bob Wilson
I also realized that poster was incorrect regarding last championship outside of Wood County. However you should get your facts straight too. Jeff Breese did not go undefeated and win a state championship last year. It was two years ago. Check the link on front page. Last year he was 0-1. Tore an ACL during soccer season. Tried to come back but had to default during opening match and had surgery soon after. Out all of last season.

December 14, 2000
comments: To: Hedgesvillefanm
First of all I do not think that the boys need anyone "taking up" for them on here or anywhere else for that matter. The boys really do not take a whole lot of stock in what is said on here....if you ever asked them you would know this. Second.. what they do mind and maybe they don't tell you is that you embarass them and their parents when you do what you do on here. It is a tough enough job picking up the pieces after the departure of Regalbuto..Shetler...and Bowers... they have done well and possibly have the most cohesive unit that gets along and works hard together as they've had in recent memory. They however do know their limitations and are not writing any checks their butts can't cash.. You do enough of that. These boys are intent on keeping their mouths shut... and letting the wrestling speak for them. You make it sound as though you've been "there from the beginning." As though you have been an instrumental part of the programs of both the Bears and the Hedgesville Eagles. How much time was spent by you coaching....taking a kid to the emergency room after an injury......going door to door to drum up funds for travel expenses or advertising.....driving kids back and forth for practices and matches.....how many mats have you helped set up.....how many tournaments or matches have you helped keep score.....how many times have you put off doing what you might have like doing for the sake of these kids so they can wrestle....how much wrestling experience do you have other than your view from the bleachers and in front of a keyboard? With that said this is the last I will address this issue... and I will at this point remain anonymous while my son is on the team. However when the time is right and if you agree maybe we can resolve this on the mat....Can you critique how well you will do??

December 14, 2000
comments: I am aware of Breese's injury last year and I also saw Shetler pin Colins. However Colins had shetler on his back 15 secs into that match how many times has that happend to Shetler in his career. Also he pinned his first 3 people in that tournament in 30 secs or less. Yes Shetler didn't win states that year but he was undefeated going into the state semis where he got wore down by Alex Reed who has 4th in the country as a senior nationals. Of course Reed didn't even win states his Senior year because of ... Matt Stevens. *Congrats to Metz Did I call it or what?

December 14, 2000
comments: TO THE SHARP FAN WHO SENT IN THE "GO EAST" COMMENTS:I DID IN FACT ATTEND THE BROOKE CLASSIC FOR THE 11TH TIME. YOU MISSED MY POINT INTIRELY OR YOU WISH TO DENY ITS VALIDITY BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS NOT ALWAYS AS WE WOULD LIKE IT TO BE. OBVIOUSLY EAST'S 4TH PLACE FINISH IS AN ABOVE AVERAGE FINISH IN ANY TOURNAMENT IN WHICH SEVERAL TEAMS PARTICIPATE. EAST IS THE STRONGEST THAT THEY HAVE BEEN FOR AS FAR BACK AS I CAN REMEMBER AND I COMMEND THEM FOR THEIR IMPROVEMENT. HOWEVER A FOURTH PLACE FINISH IN A WEAK TOURNAMENT DOES NOT IMPRESS ME IN THE LEAST. DESPITE THEIR FINISH IN "FEBUARY" THAT YOU SAY I SHOULD ANTICIPATE AND BE PREPARED TO BE SURPRISED I WILL NOT BE. I WOULD PREDICT EAST TO FINISH IN THE TOP 6 AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT WHICH IS NOT A TERRIBLY DIFFICAULT TASK. THERE ARE GOOD INDIVIDUAL WRESTLERS IN WEST VIRGINIA WHO WRESTLE ON VERY ORDINARY TEAMS. THIS IS THE CASE THROUGHOUT THE STATE AND ON YOUR TEAM EAST. AND BY THE WAY EAST I WOULDNT GET AHEAD OF YOURSELF BY TALKING TRASH ON SOUTH JUST YET. ONE AT A TIME. I BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD WORRY ABOUT FAIRMONT SENIOR BEFORE YOU ROAM OUT OF YOUR COUNTY. FAIRMONT HAS THE WEAKEST TEAM THAT THEY HAVE HAD IN PROBABLY 20 YEARS AND I STILL WOULDNT LOOK PAST THEM OR NORTH MARION AS FAR AS THAT GOES.

December 14, 2000
comments: O'Neil is back. He should be at 189. Justin Beresford and Jeremy Timmons both went out for 215 and 275 also. Those are two very aggressive upper-weights who will win alot of matches with little experience. Also Casey Hughes will go to 130 Joel O'Neil is at 135 and Isaac Stewart went to 140. Now that everyone is getting down to the right weight the dragons should give Oak Glen a real run. Here is the new line-up for probably January. By the way Kotson came back to practice too and CHS now has a 119.
103-Ross
112-N.O'Neil
119-Kotson
125-T.Hughes
130-C.Hughes
135- J.O'Neil
140-Stewart
145-Kupfer
152-Brown
160-Roupe
171-Meyer
189-O'Neil
215-Timmons
275-Beresford
If CHS keeps this line-up they will definitely take 14 to Huntington in February.

December 14, 2000
comments: This is just a suggestion. Who thinks that we should make our forumn kind of like the PA one only reason i say this is cause it is easier to keep up with related topics instead of having to search for the topic its all under one thing jsut a thought and if you havent see PA's there site is www.wrestlingreport.rivals.com the click on message boards and it will send you there Thanks for your time.

December 14, 2000
comments: To the wv wrestling fan: the (AAA) State championship has not been in parkersburg for the past ten years it was won by North Marion in 1998. You people need to start checking your stats before you put this stuff on the forum. As for Stevens beating Breese This kid is tough. I was talking to Mcguffeys coach he said that Breese was undefeated last year(41-0) and won a state championship himself. That dosen't sound to shabby to me. I think that it wa a good tough win for Stevens!

December 14, 2000
comments: I PREDICT THAT INDEPENDENCE PATRIOTS WILL ENDS OAK GLENS STREAK THIS YEAR AND WIN THERE 2ND STATE TITLE
HERES MY PREDICTIONS INDIVIDUALLY FOR INDY AT THE STATES
103 SNUFFER (SO) 2ND
112 BLAKE (JR) 5TH
119 CONLEY (JR) 6TH
125 MILLS (SO) GOOD SHOWING
130 SEXTON (JR) 3RD
135 ?
140 GILSON (JR) GOOD SHOWING
145 WOOD (JR) 2ND
152 BOLEN (JR) 6TH
160 RHODES (JR) 5TH
171 BARNETT (JR) STATE CHAMP 2X
189 MOYER (SR) STATE CHAMP
215 STEWART (SR) 3RD
275 ?

December 14, 2000
comments: To wonderer:
Matt Easter will be wrestling 112 for nitro and nitro looks like they will have a very good team this year. If they could only get some heavyweights to go out.

December 14, 2000
comments: Thanks to CHS for the comment on the forum on Dec 2nd. I'll be around I couldn't just leave you guys. I want to see you get your 1st LKC Championship and another Region Championship. Keep working hard and keep your face out of the mat. And remember when something hurts real bad remember what I would tell ya. Toughin up etc...

December 14, 2000
comments: From: LazyBoy: who is wrestling 135 for North Marion

December 14, 2000
comments: i dunno who siad that parkersburg south and east fairmont wrestled in a dual feb 10 but they were wrong. south isnt on our schedule at all so they mots be mistaken. and to gatekeeper i dont see how you can say the brooke tournament was weak this year unless you were up there to watch. it is one of the toughest tournaments in the region and east fairmont showed that they were a better than average team but i guess you'll find that out when east excels at the end of february.

December 14, 2000
email: Rodney.James@qwest.com
comments: To all Fans: We will see at the State Finals in hunington who is the best team. As for the comments from the East fan does East compete in any major tournaments outside of the State? If so how do the fair? PSHS travels outside of the state to get competition and finishes well...The Iron Man Tourny for example. Look at the schools that placed above PSHS...What are thier NATIONAL Ranking. NWCA Region 2 Scholastic Rankings has PSHS at 6th...National...not State.... I myself feel that there is no school in the state that competes at or wins at the same level as PSHS. GREAT JOB PSHS Cant wait to see you all win 3 (AAA) championships in a row. Waiting to see your school on the National Ranking....Who else in the State can say that At the Iron Man PSHS had 6 wrestlers in the top 6 that blows Easts' 3 champs from Brooke. Who was at Brooke? does it compare to Iron Mans teams....NO Where Near 1. St. Edwards 2. Blair Academy (NJ)3.CVCA 4. Carroll 5.Parkersburg South (WV)6. Graham 7. Waynesburg (PA) 8. Massillon Perry 9. Walsh Jesuit 10. Mentor So please East fan when you wanna wish for a dual at least pick a team you could beat. Best Wishes to all the fans and wrestlers around the state. Hey by the way the State Championship AAA has been in Parkersburg for 10yrs and i dont see it leaving for awhile..

December 14, 2000
comments: congratulations ryan metz for beating matt stevens in overtime first west virginia wrestler to beat matt in high school.

also congratulations parkersburg south for their win over parkersburg big reds 55-12.way to go parkersburg south. December 14, 2000
Hey just got back from the South/Park Match. Big news- Metz beats Stevens in OT. Other than that not too many close matches. Parkersburg only won two matches 103 and 171. Daggett didn't lose he moved up to 189 to wrestle.
Final Score 55-12

December 14, 2000
comments: Does anyone know where and if these wrestlers are wrestling: Currey (RAV) Stutler (Clay) Toth (SH) Stotler (Berk Springs) Peck (Clay) Pugh (LR) Weaver (Mag) Andrick (Rav) Minger (Clay) Goodwin (Berk Springs) Hunley (Big Creek)?

December 14, 2000
comments: When talking of the Hardwood Duals I wouldn't forget about Calhoun who has wrestled Williamstown tough even though they have had as many as 3 starters out!!!!

December 14, 2000
comments: I like to say congrats to the bulldogs on their victory. Justin Ford is one of the best super heavyweights in the south even though his record is 5-4 he comes through when you need him the most.

December 14, 2000
comments: Does anyone have any predictions for the AA/A individual placeings? I'd like to see what you all think and where everyone will end up in February!!!

December 14, 2000
email: chazsat@westco.net
comments: X East Wrestler
East Fairmont did well at the brooke tourn but what Parkersburg South did at the Ironman is far more impressive.

December 14, 2000
comments: does anyone know what weight class matt easter is gonna be in this year for nitro? thanks !!!

December 14, 2000
comments: In answer to a posed question On a front headlock your free arm overhooks your opponents arm On a head chancery his arm is underhooked by your free arm.

comments: A chancelor is when you have your one arm wrapped around there head like a front headlock and your other arm has a underhook then all you do is prety much pancake them over i hope thats a good enough description if not sorry.

December 14, 2000
comments: In response to the East Fairmont comments: East dont fancy yourself a great team. Three champions four years ago back would be quite a testament to an excellent team such as 93 Parkersburgh. The Brooke tournament does have top quality wrestlers in Troy Letters and well I'm sure their were a few others. The overall quality of the tournament is certainly down and in fact you prove that to be true. The Brooke tournment this year was filled with weak weight classes making it possible for average at best wrestlers to claim titles and average at best teams to do well which was the case this past weekend.

December 14, 2000
comments: East Fairmont does not wrestle south in a dual on feb.10 and it's too bad too i would really like to see south have some competition for once.

December 14, 2000
comments: anyone know north marion or jeffersons lineups or have jefferson schedule I notice its been left off here. And the jefferson preview in the local paper didn't list weight classes for their kids.

December 14, 2000
comments: First would like to congratulate the eagles on their winning the St. Albans Duals this past weekend. Special congrats to Josh Barrett from what I heard he had a very impressive match with last years state runnerup Matt Clay of Herbert Hoover. Keep up the good work guys. This weekend will be very tough. The Berkeley Springs Max Horz Inv. is loaded with a number of tough teams. Northern Garret Independence Southern Garrett and Cameron appear to have tough overall teams. Sherando is always tough. James Wood will score some points. It won't be easy but if everyone makes weight we should be in the running as well for the team title. Would love to see hedgesville win this one with all the bad luck there in recent years. From people not making weight to blood poisoning to injuries something always seems to happen. Anyway good luck this weekend keep up the good work. Anyone from Jefferson have the results from the Archbishop Curley dual last night. Like to know how Chantz did they have some great lightweights.

Now to Hedgesville so called parent. If you had read my comments last year assuming you can read then you would have seen the one after states in which I stated. I do not speak for anyone other than myself. These are my opinions. Now some of them have been voiced by parents and wrestlers in the program but they can speak for themselves. The only time I have ever "spoken" for anyone was the challenge for the iron eagles this past summer and I did get permission from Tony Regalbuto for that beforehand. Anyway you are right I'm not a parent or wrestler and I do have a relative on the team. Hence my title as hedgesville fan not hedgesville parent or hedgesville wrestler or even relativeofhedgesvillewrestler thats just too long. I am however one of the few people who has been with this program since the first day the Berkeley County Bears was formed and has been with some of these young men since they were 5-6 yrs old. Ive been there for all of them helping them as much as I can. Sacrificing for them. And there are others who have sacrificed for them more than I Pete Moats and Tony Regalbuto for starters. And again I'm not speaking for them but I have talked to them about my opinions because I respect them. However I don't know who you are and if you have the guts to tell me to shut up to my face bring it on I'm not hard to find. Or keep hiding on here. As for my comments again I've been with these young men for the past 12 years in some cases and I will take up for them here. If anyone thinks the wrestlers are scared of parkersburg south they are not but again they don't get to make the matches. If you are a parent then I personally think instead of bashing those who have been there for your kid maybe you should respect the things that people have done for them. If you cant do that then quit showing your ignorance and shut up. And watch a group of dedicated classy young men out on the mat representing you and those who have actually done their best to help them reach their goals. Anyway go eagles. PS Our lineup should be even stronger this weekend with the reintroduction of a certain person at 135 pounds.

December 14, 2000
comments: To superman: Jeff Breese did not tech fall Jim Collins in the state finals two years ago. It was a 1 or 2 point match in the second period and then Breese pinned him in a cradle. As for seeing him in the JIT 3 years ago. Jimmy Shetler pinned him in the finals and he didn't even win states. Also did you know Jeff did not wrestle last year because he tore his ACL. So he has been out since he was a freshman and it is his first year back. So don't get too excited. It is a good win for Matt but don't think you are king.

December 14, 2000
comments: I was looking at who was at some of the weight classes this year and I think 171 might be the most loaded class ever. Chris Dagget Matt Miller Jeff Courtney Joe Jackson and Joey Thomas are all state championship caliber wrestlers and they are all at 171. Also 119 looks really tough with Matt Stevens Justin Stanley Chantz Griffith and Matt Smith (I think) all there. Parkersburg South's Ryan Metz might also have a chance. He really impressed me at last year's state tournament especially his match against Dustin Bowers.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page