West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 1999 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 16, 1999
comments: i hear josh staubs (martinsburg's career wins champ) is #2 at 133. thats all i know for sure. good luck to him this season. if anybody sees him remind him that he is going to owe me 10 bucks

December 16, 1999
comments: South may be the best team in AAA but they are not the best team in the state. That would be Oak Glen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 1999
rom: localspectator
comments: Litten is a shoe in at 152 or 145. I am a local spectator in his area and an x-wrestler. Litten pinned toth and defeated nate i figure he will do it again. He is smoother as if he wasnt last year and stronger than ever. Litten is ready to take his day in the sun. You must be a fool to put down this great of a wrestler. Or maybe you have been reading those newspapers in the southern part of the state that put down the eastern panhandle and support even the worst of teams/athletes because they think that part of the state is superior. Well think again!

December 16, 1999
comments: Why was there a tournement results posted of a tourny with no WV teams in it???
Editor's note: You are probably referring to the Union Local tournament. Four of the six teams are in the OVAC, which of course would be of interest to the northern panhandle. There are several nearby non-WV teams of interest to WV fans which we like to keep tabs on -- Northern and Southern (Garrett County Md), just name a couple - because they wrestle WV teams frequently.

December 16, 1999
comments: Hey Musselman is back and getting stronger. It may take another year or so but they will become a powerhouse. Look for good things from returning 145 pounder Beard this year and for Freshman 119 Jones. Both have looked impressive so far. The best is yet to come keep it up Coach Cagel.

December 16, 1999
comments: CONGRATULATIONS PARKERSBURG SOUTH PATRIOTS ON AN AWESOME WIN AGAINST PHS!!!!!!!!!
WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO ANOTHER STATE TITLE!!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!! WAY TO GO MIKE BOSLEY!!

December 16, 1999
comments: hi my name is jason ely and i am a huge wrestling fan i am from east fairmont high school and i just want to say that matt miller is good he will win states once again this year i tought matt everything he knows about wrestling if u want to learn more about my wrestling teachings please call me i predict the bees to win a conference title this year defeating west and north north has won the tournament the last couple of years but i think the bees will walk away with it.

miller won a state title last year by beating josh dearth from parkersburgh south miller will definitely win this year he is a hard worker and a dedicated school student it all comes together when u are like matt jason ward was predicted to win the 160 pound title last year butt matt won he never got the chance to wrestle him but he would win thanks alot and have a grea tday

December 16, 1999
comments: Want to say Good Luck to the Point Pleasant Knights on Saturday as they travel to Warren Local . They have a great team this year. Go get them boys. GOOD LUCK-GO KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 1999
comments: Schindler pinned Koslowski after it was 9-2.

December 16, 1999
email: runions@prodigy.net
comments: GO PATRIOTS>> Great job SOUTH 55 phs 17! You guys really took it to the bigreds!! Keep up the good work!!

December 16, 1999
comments: WIRT COUNTY IS LOOKING GOOD SO FAR THIS YEAR SO CALHOUN YOU BETTER WATCH OUT THEY ARE ON THE PROWL.
GOOD LUCK GUYS AND GALS

December 16, 1999
comments: Does anyone know how Josh Staubs is doing at VT?

December 16, 1999
comments: is hayhurst staying at 130

December 16, 1999
comments: Can you say Win? Parkersburg South Patriots sure can and they just keep saying it! Way to go guys!!! You are amazing!! Everyone did a fantastic job. phs had little reason to beat their drum last night as parkersburg South took the Mat and walked away with a 55-17 VICTORY!!! Congradulations to Nathan Pickens and Chris Daggett those were big wins guys. No wrestling fan left that fieldhouse without a feeling of well deserved respect for the Patriot team. Keep up the good work and believe in youselves. You can go all the way!!!!

December 16, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Aaron "Haffle" Hofmann for putting the "smack-down" on your Big Red opponent last night!

December 16, 1999
Brother-in-Law's favorite movie is "Take Down" and we have never been able to find a copy of it. I will buy yours or pay to have a copy made or "rent" it from you and have the copy made here (have friends at TV station). Please respond if you have this stashed away in a closet somewhere.
Thanks.

December 16, 1999
email: curreyml@wirefire.com
comments: hey how about letting people know about the college update. maybe a link to the results.
http://www.wrestlingreport.com/college/scores99-00

December 16, 1999
comments: can we please not try and talk about people that have grad. i mean it is point less to talk about it there is nothing good that can come from it. they had there day in the sun now lets move on. i mean the "what if's" are jsut that "what if's"

December 15, 1999
As listed in the Parkersburg News, here is the probably lineup for tonight's match between Parkersburg High and Parkersburg South. The match begins at 7:30 p.m. at Parkersburg High School Memorial Fieldhouse.

103 Ray Munson (PS) receives a forfeit
112 Matt Bosley (PS) receives a forfeit
119 Ryan Metz (PS) vs. Matt Stevens (P)
125 John Duncan (PS) vs. Matt George (P)
130 Clint Radcliff (PS) vs. Clayton Samples (P)
135 Mike Bosley (PS) vs. Matt Hildebrand or Ryan Rader (P)
140 Casey Daggett (PS) vs. Stu Reitmire (P)
145 Nathan Pickens (PS) vs. Jason Trusty (P)
152 Keith Pratt (PS) vs. Nathan Allen (P)
160 Chris Daggett (PS) vs. Brandon Williams (P)
171 Josh VanMatre (PS) vs. Darren Marks (P)
189 Chris Moles (PS) vs. Brandon Schirtzinger (P)
215 Aaron McCartney (PS) vs. Phil Custred (P)
275 John Bosley (PS) vs. Tyler Stover (P)

December 15, 1999
comments: i was checking out the score page where Ravenswood wrestled Ritchie. I see that Adam Schindler did fairly well in his return to wrestling. I saw he fought a good match with Rhett Koslosky 9-2. I wasn't at the duals. Does anyone know how Koslosky got his 2 points? Takedown reversal near-fall??? please let me know

December 15, 1999
comments: congratulations to jimmy johnson's victory over jason hayhurst at ritchie county this past weekend.

December 15, 1999
comments: I would like to say congratulatons to Matt Jones for picking up his 100th win this past weekend!

December 15, 1999
comments: I have to disagree with the person who said Ward and Gorby would have won Brooke just because Hedrick did. After reviewing past Brooke results Hedrick won a close 3-2 decision over Rich Kelly of McGuffy a tough senior who didn't quite make it to the PA states.

Last year in Ward's weight class 160 was won by Sean Thomas of Washington PA. Sean went on to place 3rd at PA states at 152 for the second straight year. Thomas would have been a tough foe for Ward.

During Gorby's senior year at Brooke 130 was won by Brad Mockler of Canon-Mac who beat Shawn Whyte of West Greene 3-2. Mockler was the PA state champ at AAA 125 that year while Whyte finished 4th at AA 125. Gorby would have had his hands full in that weight class.

Either of these wrestlers winning Brooke is therefore not a given. But the whole point of my message was that since neither Cabell Midland nor North Marion wrestle tough out-of-state competition no one will ever now how they would fare. I would like to see both schools upgrade their schedulesby going to either Brooke Max Horz or Jefferson. No need to be too bold like Parkersburg or South but a little out-of-state competition can be healthy!

December 15, 1999
comments: what is wherley from hoover wrestlin this year

December 15, 1999
comments: subject to change north marions line up is
103 bowers fresh.
112 wilson jr.
119 starsick jr.
125 hays fresh.
130 menus jr.
135 ott jr.
140 zafermand sr.
145 gatian sr.
152 hickman jr.
160 tetrick sr.
171 tennent sr.
189 ?????
215 tripplet sr.
275 gains sr.
none of this is for sure just a wise assumption.

December 14, 1999
email: bub_103@yahoo.com
comments: To the person who was wondering what happened to Culverhouse he hurt his knee during cross-country and he decided not to wrestle this year.

December 14, 1999
comments: I would like to congratulate South on a great job at the Ironman this last weekend way to wrestle guys!!! I would also like to wish the Patriots a Good Luck for this coming Wednesday when we return to the big red territory.....GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!! Good luck to all you guys and try not to get hurt (either team) we want a nice smooth season!!! Good Luck to Pickens the Daggets the Bosley's and Schmitt!!! GO SOUTH!!!!!!!

December 14, 1999
comments: what was the results from weir red rider tournament? i can't find any results in the paper or anywhere else

December 14, 1999
comments: Congratulations on the great performance at the St. Albans duals this past weekend. Also good luck this weekend at Berkeley Springs Inv. Hey Seville your definitely right that the inv. has gotten tougher. Gabrielson if your out there make sure you show up at 145lbs and bring your best. Alot of us are eagerly awaiting the matchup of Regalbuto and Gabrielson. Hey Berkely Springs tournament directors how about making it more exciting and if the two do meet in the finals lets have that final last. Anyway watch out for Northern Garrett at the invitational they are loaded. Lets go Eagles we want a first tournmanet championship ever.

December 14, 1999
comments: Congratulations to PHS's Stevens at 119 on winning the Brook Classic especially beating Main (McGuffy) and Pacitti (Moon) two tough Pa. scrappers 112 lb. the rest of the year should be a walk great job Matt.

December 14, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Steve Reynolds of Harpers Ferry Jr. High who went 9-0 at the Beckley Newspaper Invitational Super Duels to become the all-time winningest junior high wrestler in Eastern Panhandle history. Steve's record at Harpers Ferry now stands at 82-3 with a lot more matches left this year!

December 14, 1999
comments: Where is the AAA coaches poll......come coaches what do you think....

December 14, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: After asking the editor of this page to void posts ... I will still recomend folks post with name and email addresses ...
Rider Invitational was a huge success. Special thanks to Jenny Sullivan for showing up and reporting the event. Continued success to HEAD COACH Frank Crain and Luke and Mike Underwood for perserving (spelling?). Remember the post when they said Crain wasn't the Head Coach? Hell of a job he has done to date. One of the few times I posted without my name .. mistake on my part. The editor chose to delete my post posting the one that stated he was not officially the coach.
Enough of that .... continued success to all. That includes making a the entire season .... winning or loosing. Many can not get through it!
Comments are welcome .... my email is above .... and this post is only my own not related to the coach wrestlers my sons or anyone else.
Two sides to every story .... one side to the Truth!
Nick Busick

December 14, 1999
email: runions@prodigy.net
comments: Way to go SOUTH PATRIOTS!!! 6th place at the Ironman WOW!!!!Great Job!! Keep working hard you make all SOUTH SIDE PROUD! Good luck !! Good luck wednesday with the p.h.s.!!!!!!! SOUTH PATRIOTS #1

December 14, 1999
comments: i just want to say that matt miller has returned to practice this week and is looking to wrestle at wheeling park matt is beast and surely will take states at 171 160 or 275 no matter where u put him good luck to matt and the bees this year

December 14, 1999
comments: Does any one know who North Marion has at 103 119 and 125

December 14, 1999
comments: Is Ashley Gandee going to stay at 112 or is he dropping to 103.

December 13, 1999
comments: Congratulations to all the Marion County Wrestlers who participated in the Brooke Classic this weekend. All of you did a fantastic job.

December 13, 1999
comments: Hey did everyone forget about Jeff Hughes at 152? He hasn't been contested this year and he ONLY finished 2nd in the state last year and 3rd th year before and 6th as a frosh. Litten will have his hands full at Berkeley but good luck to both wrestlers they are both top notch.

December 13, 1999
comments: Looks like some WV boys showed up to wrestle this week-end!
Congrats to Parkersburg South on wrestling well in the Ironman to Oak Glen and Fairmont Sr for placing high at Brooke and to Wheeling Park for 2 individual champs!

December 13, 1999
comments: Litten pinned Toth last year in the consolation semi's at states that was the second time he beat him . He also beat Nat Smith at State. I think there will be tough competiters but Litten will win Litten might drop to 145 later this season

December 13, 1999
comments: what happened to culverhouse of braxton? i heard drennen was not coming out this year.

December 13, 1999
comments: East Fairmont's Matt Miller has not stepped on a mat since the second day of practice since he sustained a back injury carrying over from football. He is unsure of his return!

December 13, 1999
email: pumpkinhead77@hotmail.com
comments: I think that everyone had better watch out for Josh Moyer from Indy 'cause he's gonna be the one to take states this year.

December 13, 1999
comments: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Way to go Parkersburg South Patriots!!! You guys did a great job this week-end at the Iron Man Tourney. There were 22 super teams there (many of which are nationaly ranked) and the only team representing West Virginia was Parkersburg south. 6th place at a tournament like the Iron Man is incredible! Imagine what place we could have taken if all of our team could have gone!! Everyone did a great job this season is going to be Awesome!! Best of luck this week at pHS. Work hard guys and keep focused you are on your way!! Special Congrates to Nathan Pickens 4th place individual winner keep up the good work!!

December 13, 1999
comments:
article on wvu

article on wvu

December 13, 1999
comments: To Strength of Schedule
I just wanted to say that Gorby and Ward would have done JUST FINE in say the BROOKE tournament!!!!! If Hedrick COULD WIN there I'm sure GORBY and Ward WOULD HAVE ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 13, 1999
comments: Was looking at the scores from the Brooke Tournament was just curious as to where Matt Miller was?
Editor's note: He failed to wrestle earlier in the week reportedly due to a back injury...

December 13, 1999
comments: TO X-WRESTLER:
Litton will not walk through this year. I remember last year he had his hands full with Drew Toth. He will also have to beat Nat Smith if he was to win states. Litton is good but lets not get to cocky!

December 12, 1999
comments: I would also like to comment on the Berkely Springs Tournament comming up. This tournament seems to be getting better and better every year. I think its a good way to judge who going to be in it in the end and who isnt. Not only are there alot of tough Maryland and West Virginia teams there are also some teams from Pennsylvania there also. I would also like to comment on Sevilles commentary. He said to watch Regalbuto and Jason Litton. Definitly true I think Litton is going all the way this year and nobody is going to stand in his way. Hey Seville does know what he's talking about. Also watch the Frankfort Falcons at this tournament. In addition to Litton they also have Kuykendall, Kesne,r 2 Bosleys, Butler, along with many other younger kids who show some talent. Good luck litton and the rest of the Falcons!

December 12, 1999
comments: Good Luck to South this wednesday at phs!!! Go patriots!!!! Also congrats at the Ironman this weekend nice job!!

December 12, 1999
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: The editor is correct wrestle offs are handled in a variety of ways. Since I'm unaware -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I don't remember any law suits being started because of an unfair system. The important thing is to have a consistent system.

One thing that may help some of those good wrestlers that get beat by a quality wrestler week after week is to open the state tournament to JV wrestlers. This is not as hard as it seems. This could be accomplished by having a JV regional tournament. The winner of each weight class would win the right to challenge the lowest seeded wrestler or some other idea in a pigtail match for a spot in the 16 person wrestling bracket. I realize this could add a monkey wrench to the losers bracket the seeding meeting would be interesting and some things would need to be agreed upon for team points. It could be fun and interesting. There are a lot of good JV wrestlers out there. A least give them a fighting chance to qualify for the state tournament.

December 12, 1999
comments: Will Matt George be back in the line up for when PHS wrestles South?

December 12, 1999
comments: Drennen from Wirt is hurt at this time weight unsure

December 12, 1999
comments: First of all I would like to say that Oak Glen really impressed me at the Brooke Classic this weekend. There older guys wrestled tough and there younger kids really showed some toughness. They finished second in one of the toughest tournaments in the nation. The funny thing is they still have alot of improving to do. Uh oh that doesnt sound good for some of the AA teams.
Im looking forward to the Fairmont Senior vs. Oak Glen match. It will be a good one. Both teams are tough and it should be a good one to watch.
Good Luck to the Bears and keep it rolling.

December 12, 1999
email: jseville@wvu.edu
comments: The Max Horz Jr. Holiday Invitational tournament this friday and saturday in berkeley springs is getting more and more competitive every year. I know that there will be alot of good wrestling in both the 145 and 152 pound weight classes (as there is at any tournament any year) but i am predicting championships by Anthony Regalbuto and Jason Litton respectively. I know from experience not to mess with either of these guys...watch out "45's" and "52's."
Don't let me down guys! I don't want to have to eat my words as i often do. :)

December 12, 1999
comments: is frankfort going to be at the Berkeley Springs Max Horz Jr. Holiday Invitational this weekend?
Editor's note: It's on their schedule. They are included in the line-up.

December 12, 1999
I was wondering if Marshall University (then College) had a wrestling team in the mid-1960's? Am having trouble finding info
Thanks for any assistance
rummeltt@pilot.msu.edu

December 12, 1999
comments: Does anybody know why Danny Drenne from Wirt didnt wrestle the other night against Calhoun? And weight is he going this year?

December 12, 1999
comments: Wanted to say way to go SOUTH at the "Iron Man" what a GREAT JOB !Congrats... to all the wrestlers. Go!!! Clint Radcliff.. Good Luck.

December 12, 1999
comments: To Tapout
Even if you take away 12 points from north and give them to PHS North still wins. I doubt even with thier football players that PHS could win.

December 12, 1999
email: mcquaint@hotmail.com
comments: congratulations to West Liberty on 2 wins and keep up the good work and send in those scores hard for the rest of us to find
To North Marion fan this dual is to early to take anything from most of our upper weights at still not eligible maybe later anyway it is the end of February that counts
go Big Reds

December 12, 1999
comments: There needs to be a 93 or 83 pound weight class. What about the lil people. WHAT ABOUT THE LIL PEOPLE.

December 12, 1999
comments: does anybody really care about what song is played. Most of the people who talk about it are bothered about the song is because year after year you sit and watch the finals. how about you work harder and get in the finals and stop complaining.

December 12, 1999
comments: dont forget to visit to visit the WVAA site:
http://wvaa.homepage.com
Thanks
WVAA

December 11, 1999
comments: I would like to wish Good Luck to all the Marion County Wrestlers from Fairmont Senior and East Fairmont Wrestling in the Brooke Classic this weekend in Wellsburg.

December 11, 1999
comments: CHANGE THE SCOREBOARD-SCOREBOARD-SCOREBOARD-SCOREBOARD!!!!

December 11, 1999
comments: I would like to say CONGRATULATIONS to the Cameron Dragons for a job will done Wed. night. Keep up the good work.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page