West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- December 2000Forum (Part Four)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

December 31, 2000
comments: To HAND fan
I agree with you completely. There can never be enough good sportsmanship. Unfortunately there are still one or two schools that don't know what sportsmanship is all about and your idea to stop the match after every point is scored and have the wrestlers shake the opposing coaches' hand is absolutely brilliant! Maybe that will teach those schools what sportsmanship is all about! I think you are truly a "closet sportsman" who wants to come clean in a sport already dominated by clean sportsmanship. Kudoos to you! I'm looking forward to seeing you stop the match whenever your favorite team scores a point and going over to shake the opposing coaches' hand. Bless you for coming clean and wanting to do what practically every team in the state has been doing for years!

December 31, 2000
email: CrazyMitch_10@excite.com
comments: The point pleasant tourny was well run. Two thumbs up to the coaches and the staff that organized it. The main attraction I feel was the 160 pound weight calss matchup between 2000 defending state champ Adam Schindler of Ripley and John Bonecutter of Point Pleasant. It was a fierce competition the 2 fought hard and near the end of the match it appeared as thought Bonecuter had Schindler worn out. Everytime Schindler was top bonecutter managed to get out in a few seconds. The match looked to be clearly going into Overtime tied at 5-5. It appeared this way until with just 4 seconds remaining in the third period Bonecutter shot and came up to his feet and tried to hit a lateral drop but his rotation wasn't quick enough and his plan back fired and schindler feel on bonecutter giving him a take down and he proceeds to get the 7-5 victory. It was a great match by both wrestlers but this match leaves you with a big question and that is will the defending champion still keep his reign at the top this year or will it be spoiled by the Bonecutter or let's not forget Casey Daggett of Parkersburg South. I think this will be one the most exciting weight classes to watch this season.

December 31, 2000
comments: To South Wrestling Fan: I guess I must have my crow rare like it is for Parkersburg South to beat McGuffey. Well at least when I wrestled for McGuffey it might be rare. I graduated last year and every time we wrestled them we won. I am seeing a rapid decline in our program from youth all the way up through varsity. It is a real shame.

December 31, 2000
comments: ???: is abshire staying at 140 or is he coming back down for the jefferson inv.?

December 31, 2000
comments: What teams are going to be at Jackson County this weekend? Is it going to be ran as a duels?

December 31, 2000
comments: Comments to "Hand Fan" - There is no place for sarcasm in this sport or any other sport. That's not what we're here for. The bottom line is that we coach because we know that sports can make a difference in a kid's life. First we have the opportunity to stress good grades secondly we have the opportunity to teach discipline and sportsmanship and our last job as coaches is to teach athletic skills. I coach two sports at Braxton County Middle School - wrestling and track - which takes up most of the time that I'm not teaching exceptional students. If you want to discuss the "hand-shake" rule or any other rule that involves sportsmanship more in-depth with me discuss it with me at the WSAZ seeding meeting.

December 31, 2000
comments: my 215 rankings
1.Six - excellent wrestler 2nd in the state last year
2.Pugh or weaver-Both among the best wrestler in the state.
3.They have never wrestled each other pugh taking 3rd and weaver taking 5th. Definetly a toss up.
4.Stewart- made an excellent showing at heavyweight last year. Haven't seen him at 215 but if he wresltes the same he has 4th
5.peck-a state placing 189 moving up will be very strong.
6.raban-though cut short of placing the last two years an excellent wrestler who was knocked out last year by six and weaver.

For the gibson and keener that the 215 fan has posted- i don't know anything about gibson and may deserve to be ranked and I do know that keener was beat twice by weaver last year.

December 31, 2000
comments: To: Wrestling Fan
Your comments about matchups need to be put in the correct context. You are comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare the Berkeley Springs tournament to the Wheeling Park Tournament as one is a true individual tournament where team points are also tallied and is done with brackets and rankings. The other is strictly teams competing in dual matches both days where the team with the better record wins. The results cannot be compared. Hedgesville and Northern Garret never went head to head.

December 31, 2000
comments: Weir High's old coach's name was Pryer. He is no longer coaching.

December 31, 2000
comments: To Hand fan
How long would you like to stay at a wrestling match. I hope you were only joking. Please if you were serious Do not write any more articles on this site it only makes those of us who know the sport look bad.

December 31, 2000
comments: Congrats to Stevens of Parkersburg on his 2nd place (125 lb.) finish at the always tough Powerade touney losing to #1 ranked Barnes of Washington State 7-4

December 31, 2000
comments: Congratulations to the Parkersburg South wrestlers for winning the 40 team Brecksville tourney this weekend.Special congrats to Ryan Metz and Matt Bosely for their first place finishes! Can't wait till next Saturday vs. Oak Glen!

December 31, 2000
comments: peck was just beating gibson like 6-2 and gibson messed up on a roll. and turned right into a half. and i think that gibson if he gets in shape that he'll place in the top 4

December 31, 2000
comments: Here is the way i see 215 going:
1st Greg 6 (OG)
2nd Donnie Peck (Clay)
3rd Nick Stewart (Ind)
4th Ashley Mc.Neely (WE)
5th Joe Weaver (Mag)
6th Dana Raban (Rav)
with these 6 plus Keener(Graf) Dillon(Rich) Gibson(Cal) Karr(Wirt) Bess(Sis) 215 is looking quite difficult.

December 31, 2000
comments: I find it amusing that all these people are predicting Jarrod Pugh to be 2nd or 3rd in the state and he's not even wrestling this year.

December 31, 2000
comments: As for a good wrestler not spending time on his back...it seems to me the mark of a truly good wrestler is one who can capitalize on opponents mistakes and also can get out of "sticky" stituations. Anyone who has observed Hartlieb's career knows he has turned alot of "sticky" stituations around and won matches.

December 31, 2000
comments: Re Greenbrier West Duals: at 145 B. J. Smith from Nicholas pinned the Midland Trail wrestler in the wrestle off for first.

December 31, 2000
comments: ballam was pinned by nate

December 31, 2000
comments: Does anyone know how Ballam of Hed did agaisnt Kenjourkousky of Buckey Local the WVU recuit and Junior National Champion??

December 31, 2000
comments: I don't believe that we are shaking hands enough in the sport of wrestling and this shows a lack of true sportsmanship !!!!!!!!!! The fact that the wrestlers shake hands with each other before they wrestle and after they wrestle and then each team shakes each other's hand after the teams have finished their match is proof of this !!!!! I believe that after each point is scored the match should be stopped so that in a show of good sportsmanship the wrestlers can shake hands and then go to each corner and shake the coaches hand. This would definately let everyone know that each wrestler is a true sportsman and show the world a way to reach a final lasting peace.

December 31, 2000
comments: as i notice weaver(mag) pin kevin cecil(st.m) in the 3rd period. Gibson(cal) lost to peck(clay) again but by a pin how was gibson doing before getting pinned. Who is keener from grafton he seems to be beating everybody hes near the top.
1. Greg Six
2. Jarod Pugh
3. Michael Keener
4. Donnie Peck
5. Joe Weaver
6. Charlie Gibson

December 31, 2000
comments: west fairmont wasn't the only team with injuries at the park duals.there were alot of other teams with people injured

December 31, 2000
comments: couple of observations. why didnt jefferson go to wheeling super duals this year? where has rob osuch been in jefferson's line-up i've noticed he hasnt wrestled in their most recent matches. ballam took dellagatti down in overtime so it was only a 2 point difference. hedgesville had to wrestle all their matches on thursday in a row without a break 4 of them to be exact. john had already lost a match or two and did not look very sharp and had that not been ballam's 3 consecutive match in a row without a rest i believe he would have dominated him as he looked sharp at the tournament. as for moats he was doing ok but made a mistake and got caught in it and put on his back. it can happen to anyone on any given day. the toughest part about being that good is that if you have never spent that much time on your back during your career you do not have much experience getting out of those sticky situations once in them.

December 31, 2000
comments: Someone was asking about the link that was up for the Ironman and I finally found it trying to surf and find results for Brecksville. The sight is a forum and the exact address is: http://www.cleveland.com/forums/hswrestling/ that will get you to the page you wanted.

December 31, 2000
Super Quad on Dec. 22 2000 at Berkeley Springs High School was canceled due to weather conditions. It has not been rescheduled at this time.

December 31, 2000
comments: Does anyone know the times for the Virginia Duals in Hampton. Needing Friday and Saturday. Thanks in advance.

December 31, 2000
email: firegirl604@hotmail.com
comments: To: FSHS
What team member was hurt at the Wheeling Duals???

December 31, 2000
comments: I was just wandering if anyone knew any results from the brecksville tournament going on if you do could you please give me a update for some reason there isn't anything about it on the mat. thanks

December 31, 2000
comments: Jan. 3rd should be a good match to start out the new year Fairmont Sr. Northern Garrett and University.

FS handed NG its only loss last year ( maybe only loss in 4 or 5 years ) NG was the #1 team in all MD 2a 4a and private last year and set a new point records at the MD State Tourn.

NG beat Hedgesville at the Berkeley Springs Tourn. for the second year in a row Hedgesville won the Wheeling Park Duals but FS beat them there. How does that work? NG lost a lot from last years team but they have 5 studs and some young kids coming on. FS lost a lot from last years team also it should be as good a match as you will find in this area.

171 should be a great match Wolf of NG will match up with Cortney of FS. Wolf beat Joe Jackson of Martinsburg 5-4 and Cortney beat Jackson 5-3 both scores from this year.

112-119 will Huber and Stein make weight ( they are both very large for their classes and Stein did not make weight for his match with Delligatti last year ).

Delligatti beat Brandau 10-6 Huber dominated Brandau pinned him in 2:25 after having him on his back most of the first period. Ballam beat Delligatti 8-5 Huber beat Ballam 9-5 the only points Huber has given up this year ( the rest have been pins ). I think Delligatti is the favorite though if they both show up at 112 because he beat Huber 10-4 two years ago in Huber's first varsity match.

Should be some good wrestling come out to see it at Cheat Lake Middle School 6pm.

Please add your comments and insights. Good luck and health to all these wrestlers.

December 30, 2000
comments: Stickles did not wrestle at the Brooke Classic due to a shoulder injury. I think that says a lot about the quality of the Oak Glen team. The fact that they still won the tournament while a State Champion was out of the lineup amazes me. Would Stickles have won? No Troy Letters would have beaten him somewhere along the line. I do think that he would have placed either second or third.

December 30, 2000
comments: West was without there starting HWT due to an ankle sprain therefore they didnt have a full team at the wheeling duals

December 30, 2000
comments: Can someone give me details about the Hartlieb vs. Moats match? I see where Hartlieb pinned him in the first period? Is that correct. Not trying to take anything away from Hartlieb that just seems pretty unbelievable. But hey more power to ya Hartlieb.

December 30, 2000
comments: To Coach Stef regarding the hand-shake rule. Simply put no wrestler of mine will EVER sit back down on our bench without shaking the other coach's hand. Plain and simple. Only one team has refused to send their wrestlers over to shake our coaches' hand this season but you can be darn sure our boys still went over to shake their coaches' hands. Fortunately their coaches still shook our kids' hands which is good because my boys wouldn't have known what to do if the coaches had refused since they know darn well they can't return to our bench without shaking hands with the other coaches. Regarding the little weight classes I think they should go back to 75 and still keep the 80. (Virginia has middle school wrestling beginning with 70 lb classes). I've got five boys who weigh 77 lbs or less and four more at 82 or less. (My 80 lb. starter weighs 73). We are not a big school but I go out and askalmost every kid in school if he wants to wrestle. The smallest kids in the school are the easiest to get out because they don't weigh enough for football and aren't tall enough for that other winter sport. Most of these little kids have probably never been asked to join a scholastic sport. They're just waiting for a chance to play something so ask them! And if a kid says no (and a lot will because most kids at our school know nothing about wrestling and are very hesitant to join but if you keep showing an interest in them they'll eventually break down and come out. And once they come out you've got them hooked on a sport they'll learn to love!

December 30, 2000
I was wondering when the qualifier is for the 2001 AAU nationals. I would appreciate some info or other details about this tournament. Thanks.
justinreber@hotmail.com

December 30, 2000
comments: Being a fan of lightweighs could someone give me the details of the 8-5 OT win of Ballam over Delligatti at the Wheeling Park Duals I wish I could have been there to see it in person. Also any details on these two wrestlers vs Brandau of Preston. How do Ballam and Delligatti stack up to the rest of WV rankings wise? Thanks

December 30, 2000
YES THE FAIRMONT JUNIOR OR PEE WEE TOURNAMENT WILL BE HELD AT THE ARMORY THE SUNDAY AFTER THE WINNERS COICE TOURNAMENT. INFORMATION SHOULD BE POSTED. YOU CAN CALL FRANK ALVARO AT 304-363-4612

December 30, 2000
comments: Congratulations to Coach Whittington and his Hedgesville Eagles for a fine performance at the Wheeling Duals. Good luck this coming weekend at Jefferson - looking forward to some good competition and expect to see more great wrestling. Go Eagles!

December 30, 2000
From: WV BROOKE HIGH SCHOOL - WRESTLING BOOSTERS PRESIDENT
email: RADMGR@YAHOO.COM
comments: i know it's been a few weeks but i'd like some input and comments regarding the Brooke Classic tournament. by reading the previous comments i do realize the results should have been posted here after the tourn. from now on i will post the results here.....any need 4 the classic results now? what did you like and what didn't you like? facilities? concessions? BROOKE has a young team this year.... 6 freshman on varsity & only 2 seniors. there are a couple individuals that should do really well and possibly make states. we have established a really strong boosters club that will be putting forth a super effort for future Brooke Classics and mid-atlantics. so if there are any comments about the Brooke classic this year please let me know here or at: RADMGR@YAHOO.COM i will be personally activly involved for the next 4 years in one capacity or another and would like to re-establish the BROOKE CLASSIC as the premier early tournament. in my opinion the wrestling we saw at the classic was great. the finals were unbelieveable for so early in the year. there appears to be few teams that will battle all the way through states in 2000 and the 2000 ovac's should be outstanding. as parents and fans we are in for a treat watching these athletes compete. best wishes to all for the 2000 season and keep in mind there are alot of fans that really understand the sacrafice and work that it takes to be a premier contender in the tri-state area......and we appreciate it.
Editor's note: If you have additional early round results, send them along and we will be happy to post them. We have not (yet) taken down any score we have ever posted, and therefore we are collecting quite an archive of scores which many fan enjoy going back through.

December 30, 2000
comments: The Berkeley Springs Independce Williamstown and Wirt Couty quad was cancelled to do bad weather in the panhandle.

December 30, 2000
comments: what is the point of giving each team two points for a double forfeit seems pointless to me

December 30, 2000
comments: In regard to Coach Stef's comments - I have 3 kids who are light enough to wrestle 75 and have to wrestle 80 orin some cases 85. I think the class should be put back in if at all possible. I did have a coach question a ref as to whether he sould take a team point because one of my wrestlers offered to shake his hand after my kid had lost. I can see the point of the rule in a way... but we are supposed to be building the character of these young kids. The next thing you know we will have the equivalent of end zone dances and taunting after a loss. We are after all the only true sport that has not been taken over by shoe contracts and tv rights. I say put the handshake back... "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Good luck to all the teams at Ripley and Wood County in the next few days. My team is not competing again until Jan. 3rd as we are a little banged up and want some time to heal and correct mistakes as well as get rid of some post holiday poundage.
Jim LeMaster

December 30, 2000
comments: When do state (team) rankings come out? How are rankings determined? I hear about certain teams from others states being nationally ranked. Where can I find those rankings? How are they determined? Giving WV its due shouldn't the winner of the South/Oak Glen match be considered for national recognition? Both have fared very well against traditional Ohio & Pennsylvania powerhouses (Walsh Jesuit Cannon Mac and McGuffy). If I am leaving out other worthy WV schools I apologize.

December 30, 2000
comments: Which newspaper will the column by Dr. Welker be in? If anyone knows please answer. Thank you.
Wheeling News-Register, Steubenville Herald-Star, and Parkersburg News on Sunday, December 31st. (also on this website)

December 30, 2000
comments: PA Wrestler:A couple of forums ago you mentioned that South had never beaten McGuffey and never would and we would see who is tougher? Would you like your crow rare or well done?!?!

December 30, 2000
comments: I noticed a comment from an unnamed person who thought that Derrick Stickles from Oak Glen would beat Casey Daggett by 10 points or more. Did Stickles wrestle in the Brooke Classic? The top 4 at 160 were from Shaler Pa Canon Mac Pa McGuffy (Breese) and Holt from Fairmont. Breese won the 3rd place match 1-0. In the dual on Dec.23 Daggett dec. Breese 13-9. I know that anyone can beat anyone on any given day but it would be hard to argue that someone that didn't place in the Brooke Classic at that weight class could beat someone that has already beat someone that did. Maybe the kid was sick or hurt and didn't wrestle can someone please say for sure? Anyway it doesn't matter what everyone thinks will happen 14 matches will decide it....I see it SOUTH 33 OAK GLEN 29.

December 30, 2000
comments: Does anyone remember the name of the coach that used to coach Weir High a few years ago? Is he coaching somewhere else?

December 30, 2000
comments: Who got Outstandimg wrestler at the Wheeling Duals?

December 30, 2000
comments: Mitch Smith I think they all want you. Anyways: people how about them Southsiders. Not always going to be PHS taking our glory. South has a great team this year. Was overly excited at the South/PHS match but the one to look out for is the one on Jan.6th. May be close but South may run-away with it hard to tell. I'll be ready to watch. The same day just so happens to be a match with WVU/Pitt. that ought to be good. Go Pitt sorry not really much of a WVU fan would rather have Marshall anyday. South looks to have a lot of tallent this year with many wresters improving themselves over the summer and many coming up from JR. Highs. Wrestlers work hard at South they must dream about it every night sometimes it is hard to say. Ryan Metz he hasked hard and will continue he wants that first place finish awfull bad good luck to you Ryan. Sonny Dye wow coming out he is getting better all the time proud of him he works hard also. Good luck to all wrestlers keep dreaming and working. Dreams can come true it is like daezavue.

December 30, 2000
email: Bodean44@aol.com
comments: From Been There:
I would like to suggest that while Stickles of Oak Glen is a quality wrestler he didn't "walk" through states or his season. He had a regular season loss to Cameron's Wyatt O'Neil (in the OVAC tourney) and narrowly defeated him in the regionals by much less than 10 pts. They were tough matches and I'm sorry that since Wyatt has gotten much stronger and bigger a rematch won't be likely. Actually I think the path to the finals at states at 189 will be the toughest road to a title in any weight/either division. I expect that 5 or 6 189 pounders could place from Region 1 if more than four could qualify. Cameron's placewinner in 2000 (Curt Meyer) has dropped to 171 to make room for O'Neil's return and the addition of two new big men in the lineup. Justin Kotson expects to make his return at 119 next sat. at the Cameron Tri-State tourney. He suffered a broken hip in football season but looks pretty ready so far. I hope some Region 1 teams read this because with the talent in our region this year Oak Glen qualifying 13 or 14 wrestlers certainly isn't assured. And they should know that even if they can win 4 weights at States a title is not assured (just ask Cameron-1990 I think). I respect Oak Glen but I think we all would like to see a more competitive multi-school run for the title this year. What's this about Six pinning Bosley? Maybe the reverse.

December 30, 2000
comments: Just like to congratulate the eagles on winning the wheeling park super duals. The wrestlers showed alot of grit and determination. they lost a close one to fairmont sr. ending their dual undefeated streak but showed there guts by putting it behind them and beating a tough tippacanoe team. Anyway congratulations to all the wrestlers on their fine performances. Hope you all had a merry christmas and hope you have a happy new year. Also like to wish the eagles good luck for the jefferson invitational next weekend should be a very tough tournament. Sherando the berkeley springs inv champion archbishop curley boiling springs PA a tough herbert hoover team and perennial power fairmont sr. will all make this a very good tourn. Anyway good luck.

Now some food for thought on the remarks about wvu not giving scholarships to wv wrestlers. I believe many years ago I saw an article interviewing Dan Gable. I believe it was him anyway. He said something about the fact that there are 50 states in the U.S. and an average of 2 state champions per state. As a state champion what makes you better than the other 99. Its what you do out of state against other state champions that gets you noticed by college coaches. The big events in postseason such as senior nationals jr. nationals etc. Go to these and do well and you may earn a scholarship. Anyway I don't mean to get into this debate I'm just giving some food for thought. I have met Coach Turnbull and he seems to me to be a fine man who is looking for good wrestlers anywhere including west virginia. Anyway good luck eagles and iron eagles everywhere.

December 30, 2000
comments: does anyone know the 145 place winners at the greenbrier west duals?

December 30, 2000
comments: To Redneck
i dont think u need to worry about if Childers of ST Marys is droping to 140 or not cause there is some one much tougher already there.

December 30, 2000
comments: I would just like to wish South Wrestlers Good Luck this weekend in Brecksville. I've heard it is going to be a pretty big Tournament and i just want to wish them the best of luck!!

December 30, 2000
comments: Could someone please post the date of the Oak Glen/South matchup?
Editor's note: Check the team pages from South or Oak Glen, or the schedule pages

December 30, 2000
comments: Does anyone have the results form the Super Quad with INDEPENDENCE WIRT WILLIAMSTOWN BERKLEY SPRINGS THANK YOU.
Editor's note: I'm not sure this was held, due to weather. Can someone help us out??

December 26, 2000
comments: comments to Doc:A few days ago you mentioned some comments and a feature were forthcoming on "The match of the Millenium".The date you had mentioned was Jan.31st after the match?Was this a typo on the date since predictions were also mentioned? Any help would be appreciated Doc.Thanks!
Editor's note: Yikes, I messed up. That should be Dec 31, and refers to Dr Welker's column which should appear in the papers this Sunday....

December 26, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: We're half-way through wrestling season and I'm wondering how all coaches still feel about the "hand-shaking" rule as well as the weight class change for middle/junior high schools. We have only found one coach who did not want to shake hands and have tried to have the 75lb. weight class as exhibition whenever we wrestle. What do you think coaches? I hope I'm not beating a dead horse because I have really tried not to mention either of these concerns for about a month now.

December 26, 2000
comments: For Sean
The Grafton/Philippi match score ended that way (71-4) because there were two double forfeits. Double forfeits are two points apiece.

December 26, 2000
comments: Does anyone know if Childers of St Marys is dropping to 140lbs.

December 26, 2000
comments: Congrats to the Jefferson Wrestlers who placed in the Stafford Va. Holiday Classic. Griffith 4th. Reynolds 8th. Abshire 5th. Osuch 8th. Householder 4th. Great wrestling Tourney 30 schools and many independent.. 13 State Champs. 50 state placew winners. Jefferson placed 12th overall.

December 26, 2000
comments: To Hedgesville FAN: Jefferson lost by 18 I think to Archbishop Curley. They had a put together team since school was canxed due to power outage. The 3 pounder won both because Md will not wrestle girls griffith reynolds abshire and day won both of theirs. Good wrestling.

December 26, 2000
comments: is it confirmed that breese beat metz?..and did anybody watch match?..9-5?..breese handled him?
Editor's note: Confirmed. I delayed posting this result until it was checked. See also the WPIAL site...

December 26, 2000
comments: Congrats to my good friend Sean Agoney for arm barring his way to 100 wins. I only wish I could have put that many guys away. Look for Sean to put at least 25 more away on his way to placing at state.

December 26, 2000
comments: To:Hoover Parent
I did make it over to North Marion and was impressed with the Hoover team. Over all I was impressed with the way NM ran a small JV tournament and a quad at the same time and had everone on the road by 9:30. Although Cabell Midland got beat twice they were a much improved team from the South match. North Marion had 5 or 6 good wrestlers but as I expected the team that shinned the most was a very tougfh Hoover team. 7 or 8 good quality wrestlers the other 6 wrestlers were very competetive and wrestled hard nose and soundly beat North Marion although I thought the Hoover Cabell Midland match was closer than the score indicated the Hooover kids are looking pretty good. I can see them being in the top 5 when rankings come out. Best of luck to all and happy holidayes!!

December 26, 2000
comments: Hey i would like to say the Point Pleasant Olympic Pool tournament was an impressive tournament. There were many good matches between both High school and Jr. High school. The biggest attraction there that i seen was a High school wrestler named Eddie Cochran from riverside high and he wrestled 152. He is a sopohmore and this is only his second year but he looks better than most wrestlers in there 10th year. He wrestled 8 times and won 7 and he placed 2nd. He won 5 pins two was in the first round within 35 seconds and the other three was in the 2nd round within 3 minutes 20 seconds. then he won once by dec and one by tech fall. He lost to a wrestler from ripley high who placed first and went undefeated but personally i think he should of won that match. Well i think all the wrestlers in 152 should watch out!!!

December 25, 2000
Memo from: Tripp Price, Chapel Hill (NC) HS Coach:
East Fairmaont placed 4 wrestlers. Results are now on the Chapel Hill High School Message Board. The web Page can be accessed by going to NCMAT.COM and then choose the Chapel Hill Page. Miller was very impressive!!! We hope to get more teams from your state in the future.
Thanks, Tripp Price, CHHS Coach

December 25, 2000
comments: does anyone know how ryan bumgardner did against ash gandee over the weekend at point pleasant or did they even wrestle

December 25, 2000
comments: There seems to be many predictions on here about the South/Oak Glen match up.Some are pretty far fetched--Stickles majoring Daggett and Six pinning Bosely--well..we'll find out in less than 2 weeks but I don't think so!Should be 2 good matches between 4 good wrestlers and 2 excellent teams.Good luck to both schools.

December 25, 2000
comments: Well it seems one wrestler in particular recieved his Christmas present early this year. It's a shame that it won't happen again.

December 25, 2000
comments: yes it looks like dunham will wrestle 160 and everhart will wrestle 171 at wheeling park. they wrestled off again and dunham won 3-1. everhart won the first several weeks ago and it looks as though they will be doing this all year. dunham has to keep the weight off to do it though.

December 25, 2000
comments: I think Stickles should be able to defeat Casey Daggett by several points. Stickles dominated his weight class last year. His closest match at states he won by 10 points. I am sure he has made a great deal of improvement since last year and will be ready for Daggett. Happy Holidays.

December 24, 2000
comments: Congradulation to the Nitro wrestling team. Nitro took 9 wrestlers to the WRAL TV Invitational in Raleigh N.C. (23 teams) and finished 3rd. Nitro had 4 champions and 2 fifth place finishes. Champions were 103-Frerichs 112-Easter 125-Johnson and 140 Ripley. Ripley defeated the defending state champion in his final and Frerichs had a 2nd place finisher from last year. Casto and Pauley 135 and 171 both had good showings to finish fifth. Nitro heads to St. Clairsville Ohio to take on some good competitio in a big two day dual event the 29th and 30th.

December 24, 2000
comments: I am an Og fan and I would like to say that the predictions that you made for the OG South match are way off. You may have predicted the lower weights right 103-119 but 125 there is no way that Six will pin Bosley thats if he can even beat Bosely. Noel will not pin Duncan that will be a very good match and in no way will it be a pin unless one of the wrestlers make a major mistake. I think that Ecklberry will beat Schmitt in another close match. And other than that your predictions are pretty good other than at 16o there is no way Stickles will major Daggett but that also should be a very good match. THats just my opinions and I would like to wish both teams luck on the big match. And id like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

December 24, 2000
comments: Can any fans or coaches tell me who will be wrestling the following weight classes at Wood Co. tournament this weekend and who are the ones to watch in each weight class.116 123 128 135.Thank you and i hope you can be of some help

December 24, 2000
comments: I would like to say good job to Beckley-Stratton Jr. High on there excellant performance at Point Pleasant this past weekend.Congradulations to Joe McQuillen(123)and Jay Thomas(128)on there 1st place finishes.And to Sean Meade and Tyler Wilson on there 2nd place finishes.And good luck Bulldogs this Friday at Ripley and Saturday at Wood Co.tournaments.You guys are proving some ppl wrong keep up the great work.

December 24, 2000
comments: I just wanted to congratulate the Point Pleasant wrestling community on the fine tournament my team attended there Fri.-Sat. In all my years of coaching I have rarely taken a team to an event that started on time and never one that ended early as this one did. All my wrestlers got nine matches with very few byes. The bout number system kept everyone informed as to when they were on deck or wrestling. As an added bonus - the hospitality room was wonderful. To sum it up everything from the officiating to the weigh ins to the t-shirts was first class. Point has set a standard for those of us who host tournaments to emulate in the future.

Also I would be remiss if I did not congratulate their team as well. They are superlative in their technique and hard nosed tough kids. It was not just a "cowboy and half festival" to wrestle against them. Although my team finished second I have nothing but praise for Point who finished first. They have a young team as we do and will be a force to reckon with in the years to come.

All the wrestlers from all ten teams were good sports and showed a lot of class. They all wrestled hard no matter if they were a 1st year kid or a seasoned wrestler with 400 Pee Wee matches before middle school.

Lastly our thoughts and prayers go out to Milton Middle wrestler Scott Simmons who broke his lower leg during a match. Scott is a returning Cabell Co. champ and WSAZ placewinner and figured greatly in the success that Milton wrestling has enjoyed. He is also an Academic All State wrestler and just a great kid. Hang in there Scott and remember the old saying "What doesn't kill us makes us stonger." I know you will recover quickly and have an outstanding high school career. Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night.

December 24, 2000
comments: I noticed on the Philip Barbour/ Grafton match it was 71-4. Yet i didnt see where anyone from PBHS won what happenend? where did these four points come from. Tech violations or what?
Editor's note: Dunno

December 24, 2000
Just wanted you to know that our team now has its own web page. We will be using the site to display news, schedules, pictures, rosters, and more. You can visit the Fort Hill Wrestling web site here:
http://www.eteamz.com/forthillwrestling/
Thanks for checking us out!

December 24, 2000
comments: To wvredneck: Don't know if you made it to the North Marion quad or not but you did miss some good matches. Preston County was not able to come due to school closings but Hoover North and Cabell Midland did have some very competitive matches. Hoover won both duals against North 41-23 and Midland 45-27. Following is some of the best matches of the night:
130# Botkin HH dec Menas NM
135# Lane HH dec Hays NM 4-3
140# Ott NM dec Carnefix HH 2-0
160# Conn HH pinned Hickman NM
215# Moales HH dec Frazier CM 6-4 OT
275# Clay HH pinned Wellman CM
Although I didn't get to see many of the North vs CM matches the team score was close and I am sure there were some good ones.

December 24, 2000
comments: it looks like dunham will wrestle 160 after today's wrestle off

December 24, 2000
comments: To Editor
Hey I was wondering do you still have the link to that Ohio message board from the Ironman if you do could you please post it Thanx in advance and I would like to wish everybody out there a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Editor's note: Unfortunately, looks like I blasted it away...

December 24, 2000
comments: anyone know north marion or jeffersons lineups or have jefferson schedule I notice its been left off here. And the jefferson preview in the local paper didn't list weight classes for their kids.

December 24, 2000
comments: The Berkeley Co. Championships (Musselman Martinsburg Hedgesville) will be Tues. Jan. 9th. This is the make up date due to weather on Dec. 20th.

December 24, 2000
comments: WHERE IS THE 94 RESULTS THAT WAS SENT IN?
Editor's note: They are in my inbox. I was waiting to see if I got AAA results and team results as well...

December 24, 2000
comments: Does anyone know if Chantz Griffith won his match against Archbishop Curley?

December 24, 2000
comments: Here is the way I anticipate the Oak Glen/Parkersburg South match to go:
103 Goreau p. Boone OG-6
112 Grogg p. Glass PS-6
119 Metz p. Whittington PS-6
125 Six p. Bosley OG-6
130 Lowers dec. Pickens OG-3
135 Noel p. Duncan OG-6
140 Schitt dec. Eckleberry PS-3
145 Flowers p. Dye OG-6
152 Pickens p. Cashdollar PS-6
160 Stickles Mdec. Daggett OG-4
171 Daggett dec. Hebrock PS-3
189 Bellville p. Sleeth OG-6
215 Six dec. Mc.Cartney OG-3
275 Caughy dec. Morrison OG-3
final score: Oak Glen-43 Parkersburg South-24 (actually I have my doubts it will even be that close) As a final note I have no affiliation with either of these schools

Editor's note: Watch for Dr. Bill Welker's column "Match of the Millenium," to be released December 31. It will include:
1. Tentative Line-Ups for each team & each wrestler's strengths
2. A "Wrestler Spotlight" of one superior wrestler from each team.
3. Quotes from the coaches (Larry Shaw and Tim McCartney)
4. Prediction by Larry Deaton (Charter Member of the Ohio Wrestling Officials Hall of Fame)
5. Brief Biography of the match official - Ray Marling

December 24, 2000
comments: when braxton 160#andy stewart and their 171 matt harper come back calhoun doesn't stand a chance if u thouht it was a good match you havn't seen any thing yet harper well be back jan 12 at the big 16 and stewart well be back dec 30 at braxton duels

December 22, 2000
comments: I just wanted to say that john marshall is very tough this year and that I would look out at some of their junior's and senior!!!

103-Jon Howard(junior)
135-Mike Muldrew(senior)
152-Derek George(junior)
171-Chris Taylor(junior)
215-John Wells(junior)
You can wait and see cause they'll be some of the top wrestlers in the state this year!!!!!!

December 22, 2000
comments: keep an eye on the Hayes and Lane match up tonight at north marion that could be a big one at the 135 lb class.

December 22, 2000
comments: To: Whoever keeps writing stuff to me I may not have wrestled at Senior Nationals but I have been there to support a friend of mine that was wrestling. To even qualify for Senior Nationals you have to be a champion or a runnerup unless your from California because they have about 1000 schools all in one class. But California has arguably the best wrestling state in the country. Did you know last year at 103 the national champion and runnerup were both from California. Everybody at Senior Nationals is way above average. Just because Reed had only 16 people in his weight class doesn't take anything away from his accomplishment. I'm not saying hes better than you or anything if you finished 4th that means your really good to.

December 21, 2000
comments: Martinsburg Mussleman and Hedgesville did not wrestle Wednesday evening due to the fact that school was cancelled because of snow. It does not look as though they will make it up and the teams will have to meet down the road.

December 21, 2000
comments: beverly hills defeated all team except shady springs and beckley stratton defeated every1 except beverly hills giving bhms the 1st place overall

December 21, 2000
comments: Could be a make or break "headline" event at North Marion. Hoover seems to be getting all the press in the Charleston area while North Marion seems to be in a rebuilding year and Cabell Midland may be rebuilding too in view of their match against South. ( many teams will face the same though) the surprise may be the team from Preston Co. I think I may head on over to the Farimont area and watch this one if Coach Hall doesn't have the huskies ready look for coach Michaels to be laying in wait and I've seen Sparks in action don't think he'll stand for to many more loses like the last one of course Coach John from Preston may have the surprise team ..I think it'll be a make or break for some of these clubs ...

December 21, 2000
comments: I'd like to wish everyone goodluck this weekend. Especially Milton Middle School and Cabell Midland. Looking forward to seeing some great wrestling over at Point.

December 21, 2000
comments: To Superman: I recall you saying that i must not know much about senior nationals but i think i know a little more than you think. i wrestled in it and finished fourth. I have seen the competition there and know the quality of wrestlers at 103 at senior nationals. Most of them are from california and are just above average wrestlers. Please go to the tournament before you just say he is good because he finished fourth. He had 16 kids in his bracket and i had 60. That is the difference. Thank you

December 21, 2000
comments: WAY TO GO JOHN MARSHALL MONARCHS IN YOUR WIN OVER BROOKE AND CAMERON WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!! GOOD LUCK IN THE REST OF THE SEASON!!! GO MONARCHS!!!!

December 21, 2000
comments: Good job Wednesday night Cameron Dragons! Good luck for the rest of the season Casey Roger Lee Wyatt Shawn Joel Noah Issac Justin Luke and Tucker!

December 21, 2000
comments: I read where Beckley Stratton and Beverly Hills finished with 9-1 records at the Beckley Raleigh Hostpital Tournament. Does anyone know the scores of who beat who and what other team was involved?

December 21, 2000
comments: I was wondering how kessler and lord did Wednesday! who won?

December 21, 2000
comments: When are the perdictions going to be out for this years states?

December 21, 2000
comments: To Wrestling Fan: The 130 lb weight class that Jarod Hess was in at the St. Albans Duals seemed to be very competitive. Hess lost 3 matches at this event all close ones. He lost to Botkin from Hoover Sexton from Independence and Nott from Pt. Pleasant. To further complicate the 130 lb matches Nott beat Sexton Sexton beat Botkin and Botkin beat Nott. All three ended up with one loss.

December 21, 2000
comments: Jared Hess of Hedgesville went 5-3 at SA Duals and did not place. He lost to Sexton (Independence) 10-5 dec. Botkin (Herbert Hoover) 4-2 OT and Nott (Pt. Pleasant) 3-2 dec.

December 21, 2000
comments: Does anyone know whether West Fairmont Junior Wrestling Club is holding it tournament at the armory the Sunday after the Winners Choice. There is no posting on the tournament schedule page. Please post any information about who to contact.

December 21, 2000
member of the South Rat Pack
comments: The '95 and '01 comparison was done for fun. I honestly meant no harm to anyone's self-esteem or confidence. There has been much talk about who was the greatest South team of all-time. I was merely stating my opinion. To the 2001 one wrestlers who I predicted to lose. I say go out there and prove me wrong get fired up and make me rethink my decision. This years team is one of the best leave everything you have on the mat. Come away from this season knowing you gave it your 110%.
Sincerest apologies
JDR

December 21, 2000
comments: There is such a large gap between the 215lb. class and the 189lb. weight class because 215 is hard to fill there aren't a whole lot of wrestler found around that weight.

December 21, 2000
comments: I think St.Mary's Pete Hashman is an exceptional wrestler and I look for him to do well this year. However he will to fight through Bellville(OG) O'Neil(Cam) Magnone(Weir) Delebrou(Will) and Yetts(Mad) just to get out of his region. What do regions 2 and 3 have at 189(AA)?

December 21, 2000
comments: I still haven't heard what happened to Hess at the St. Albans duals........did he not place or what?

December 20, 2000
email: luvdsoaps@aol.com.
comments: Holiday Greetings to our Favorite W.V. wrestler Jacob Frerichs! Keep up the good work Big Guy! We're proud of you and we love you. We got your back.

December 20, 2000
email: sleeth@wirefire.com
comments: Why is there such a large gap in weight classes between 189 and 215? That is a 26 lb difference. Shouldn't there be a 200 lb weight class?

December 20, 2000
comments: To Yeah Right: No Moats was not leading when he got pinned. And yes he was pinned in a cradle. And I guess you can say he was "Caught" but that is how thw game is played. If you are able to out wrestle your opponent and "Catch" him in a pinning combination YOU WIN ! Plain and simple. Moats got out wrestled in one match. It happens ! This doesn't mean that he isn't still one of the best wrestlers in the state Bryan is. His opponent didn't get lucky. You don't get lucky when you face someone like Moats you have to earn it ! And when someone gets a win over a wrestler you has built such a big reputation everyone assumes "Hey he sure got lucky". Did Beard get lucky last year when he beat Moats at the States? No on that day he just out wrestled him. Just like last Saturday Moats didn't get lucky when he came back after could have been the end of the match and defeated Beard. So don't tell me I didn't pay attention or try to tell me what happen because I have been around this sport longer than you most likely and like I said anyone can go down !

December 20, 2000
email: mc126@themat.com
comments: to the people criticizing wvu for not giving scholarships to wv wrestlers. i think it is great that four native sons were able to start against clarion unfortunately none of them won. there are so few division one programs these days that it is extremely difficult to get a div one scholarship and if you do the competition is fierce.

if you want a scholarship go out and prove yourself in national tournaments. how many kids went to Fargo this summer and tested themselves against the best in the country? how many state champs went to pittsburg and wrestled in the high school nationals? the wv wrestlers who have competed and been successful in national tournaments have gotten scholarships but colleges are not going to grant a scholarship unless they believe they are sure the person can compete at a high level. how many of the GREAT wv wrestlers have went on to have successful D-I (winning) college wrestling careers? i can name only a handful.

do the math and you will find that there are roughly 1400 individual high school state champion wrestlers each year and over 8400 state placewinners. if you want to stand out and get noticed then you have to go and compete in national level tournaments to demonstrate that you are the very best.

50 states X roughly two divisions in each state (some more a few only 1) X 14 weight classes = 1400 state champs & 8400 top 6 placewinners.

December 20, 2000
comments: Some tme ago there was talk about the great junior high wrestling programs of the past. All had great teams but I think one team was overlooked. Over the past 5+ years Harpers Ferry has posted a 128-20 dual record which isn't too bad.They are not a particularly large school with about 400 total students; they just get the kids out to wrestle by begging pleading and proper propaganda. And since last December the team record is even more impressive: 51 wins and just 1 loss. I think that's something for the record books.

December 20, 2000
comments: I would like to wish Beckley-Stratton good luck at Point Pleasant this weekend and i was wandering if anyone could tell me how an Olympic pool tournament works and how it is set up thanks

December 20, 2000
comments: I just want to say on behalf of the Calhoun wrestling program that we have respect for the teams we wrestle. Indeed the match between Braxton and Calhoun was close at the Hardwood Duals but we never said we walked through anyone. Coach Stump puts out a classy program and it will stay that way no matter the outcome of a dual or match. Comments that are made to mislead people in that matter have no right to be put in the public's eye. Having wrestled for both teams I belive that they both have great wrestlers and coaches but dont put words in other people mouthes that are not true. If you have comments that are not suitable for the forum feel free to email me at my address or tell me in person. Thank you.

December 20, 2000
comments: In response to the South Rat Pack member: I realize that your intentions were genuine but I really don't understand what good can come from comparing South's team from '95 to that of '01. Yes it is interesting to see how teams of the past compare to the upcoming teams of today but I believe your comments may have caused more harm than good. Blatantly expressing the strengths and weaknesses of these wrestlers who are already nervous about this season against the same attributes of past wrestlers does nothing but break down what confidence they have. I have seen some of South's wrestlers in action for the last three years and believe all of them have the potential to have a great season and perform well at the State tournament. It doesn't matter whether or not they could beat the '95 team that was '95 not the 2000-2001 season. This is now and I believe that all these wrestlers live for today. They all possess the qualities of good people and should be given the chance to show their skills skills of today for today's competition not for the competition of the past. In conclusion I would like to wish luck to all of South's team and the best of luck to the seniors especially Johnny and J.J.

December 20, 2000
comments: To what I know Weaver has jumped out to an early 9-1 record against 10 straight Ohio wrestlers. He looks stronger this year and will be a major contender moving from his 5th place last year up 1rst or 2nd.

December 20, 2000
comments: Does anyone have team and individual results of the Webster Hardwood Duals.

December 20, 2000
comments: I'd just like to congradulate the south berkeley dragons who wrestled at luyaa over the weekend. I'm very proud of all of them.See you at practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2000
comments: every1 is comparing the teams of today and 5 years ago y is that? how about we compare the forum of today and 5 years ago(im not even sure if this was here then) today-to much babying around and slamming wrestlers(im sure the south wrestlers of today that were picked to lose r upset) 5yrs ago- im sure there was no whining and no1 was getting slammed thanx 4 letting me get my point across

December 20, 2000
comments: Matt Miller Has been out with the flu and a twisted ankle.

December 20, 2000
comments: who is the best ever at each weight class? make your predictions

December 20, 2000
comments: Just like to congratualte the eagles on their performance this past weekend at the max horz inv. Congrats to Danny Lord winning the tournament for the second year and to Kevin Ballam Jared Hess John Dunham who all came in second. Congrats to all the eagles who placed and to those who didn't you still wrestled well. We should only get better as the season goes on hopefully. Like to say that Brian Moats showed alot of character fighting back hard in the consolations leading the team by example. He got caught in the semis in the toughest weight class there but he sucked it up and got third. The team overall looked pretty good still improvement is needed and I'm sure there will be some. Anyway I'm proud of the way you guys wrestled and hope you keep it up. Again congratulations and good luck tomorrow night at the berkeley county match. Should be some good individual matchups there. ps anyone have the individual match results from the jefferson archbishop curley dual. Like I said before archbishop curly is an extremely good team from maryland with some very good wrestlers would like to know who wrestled who and how they did.

December 20, 2000
comments: The pin of Bryan Moats was legit. He came out like a house of fire and built and early 4-1 lead. However Kupfer fought back and actually lead when he pinned Moats in a nearside cradle.

December 20, 2000
comments: Moats just got caught in a cradle. He was also winning 9-4 when it happened. And i dont think that you were paying that close of attention or you would have seen it budddy!

December 20, 2000
comments: I watched both matches between Leach and Mayle. Leach pinned Mayle both times. The first match in a cradle and the second match in a splatelle.

December 20, 2000
comments: jason koontz is the best wrestler in the state at 110!!! so be afraid all you 110 pounders
moundsville wrestler

December 19, 2000
email: SOUTH & BIG REDS WRESTLING FAN
comments: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOLKS Let's give credit where credit is due. To Matt Stevens of Parkersburg High & Ryan Metz of Parkersburg South High two dedicated young men to the sport. Both having beat opponents whom they have never beat before - Metz beat Stevens by one point in OT- Stevens beating Breese by one point.Remeber -- anyone can be beat on any given day!!!! Congrats to both young men- keep up the hard work - you are both champions in the eyes of Parkersburg!!!!

December 19, 2000
comments: i would just like to ask the south fans that are comparing teams from the past to todays team to stop!!! you have already offended some wrestlers and you are really slamming them as well. thank you

December 19, 2000
comments: Good luck to the Jefferson wrestlers tonight against Francis Scott Key and Williamsport (Maryland teams). Especially good luck this weekend in the Eagle Holiday Classic in Virginia. A couple of top twenty teams and plenty of other really good ones in that tourney. Time to step up to the plate. Hopefully the team will be at full strength before the J.I.T. on January 5 and 6 and then we'll see how we stack up against some of the familiar teams on this forum.

December 19, 2000
comments: Is there any way u can make the results of the Berkley Springs toury so they show what rounds were what cause its really hard to tell what was the semi's quaters and constoltion rounds and such

December 19, 2000
comments: Where's Miller been from East Fairmont. I've noticed all the forfeits at 171 for all their recent matches. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

December 19, 2000
comments: To the person asking about Moats getting pinned at the Berkeley Springs tournament by Kupfer. Yes it was legit. Moats was losing at the time. And no one could believe it either. It just goes to show anyone can go down. But it does look like the stranggle hold that Hedgesville has had on this area for the last few years may be coming to an end. Look for the balance of power to shift all the way to the other side of Berkeley County by this time next year !

December 19, 2000
comments: hey everyone is saying that calhoun walked threw the hardwood dauls. but i thought that i would let everyone know that they only beat braxton by 12 points. i think that the next time calhoun faces braxton that the turn out will be different. for one thing the have some guys that are injured or who may be first year wrestlers that will step it up. when andy stewart comes back at 160 he will help the team out alot.

December 19, 2000
comments: I was looking at the results of the Berkley touney and i saw that Kupfer pinned Moats now was that a legit pin or did he catch him does anyone know??? And the same with the Leach Mayle match what happened there??? Any info will be appreciated.

December 19, 2000
comments: I saw where someone stated that thre were 4 WV boys starting for WVu against Clarion. They said that people can stop critizing WVU for not recruiting instate. Well how many WV kids do they have on Scholarship???? Maybe 2 if they the rest are just walk-on's who will more than likely will never get scholarships cause WVU doesnt have a strong belief in WV kids.

December 19, 2000
comments: Where do you find the complete results of the Berkley Springs Max Horz Jr Holiday Tournament this past weekend?
Editor's note: Er, they are posted under November-December Scores and Results. Are they not coming up on your machine??

December 19, 2000
comments: Hello i think it is really stupid about the 85 south team and the 2001 team b/c both teams are and were good teams it's ridiculous how you are saying some are better than others. that just makes the guys confidences go down and it doesn't help them wrestle any better when you are saying some of them aren't that good. they are all good wrestlers and deserve to have some positive comments written about them. thank you

December 19, 2000
comments: Mike Sharpe was a state champ at 215lb in 97' so you might want to reconsider your prediction on that one and get your facts straight

December 19, 2000
comments: I would like to congradulate Calhoun County on their victory at Webster this weekend. Everyone wrestled hard and fortunately we came out on top.You are a great bunch of guys who work hard and I feel priviledged to be your captain. Keep up the good work and I'll see you at practice.

Congradulations to Calhoun's Jared Brewer (112) on his 1st place win at Webster. Good Job Bear

December 19, 2000
comments: Congrats to Danny Lord on winning the Max Horz Tournament.

Congrats to Vic Beard for winning the Frankfort Invitational.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page