West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 1998 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 3, 1998
name: Red Devil
comments: to: picks
pretty accurate picks!
except McCartney at 135 will be champ!
and Ramsey is better than 6th in the ones you mentioned!

February 3, 1998
name: A wrestling observer
comments: I would like to congratulate the Petersburg Vikings on a fine season they have going. I think that they will have five wrestlers in the top five at the end of this season. I also think that they will have two wrestlers competing for the state championship. These two would be Morgan Sisk and Jake Spicer. I also expect strong performances from Derrick White, Kent McBride, and Dan Lahman. If they had a full team they would be a contender for the team championship, also.

February 3, 1998
email: wallace@wirefire.com
comments: RIPLEY BEAT PARKERSBURG ONLY BECAUSE THE BIG REDS DID NOT HAVE THREE STARTERS, TWO SENIORS AND ONE JUNIOR. 140, MARTY COLLINS; 171, RICHARD OGDEN; 189, ROB BALL. DID EVERYONE FAIL TO NOTICE THAT THE BIG REDS HAVE SPOTTED 12 POINTS ALL YEAR WITH NO 112 OR 215? ALSO, HOW ABOUT THE WINNER'S CHOICE WHERE THEY HAD NO 112, 189, 215, AND THE 140 HAD TO DEFAULT BECAUSE OF A KNEE INJURY AFTER ONLY TWO MATCHES. THEY FINISHED 3RD, 16 PTS. BEHIND FAIRMONT SENIOR, 2ND WHO FIELDED A FULL TEAM. PHS ALSO LOST TO FAIRMONT IN A DUAL BY FIVE POINTS AND SPOTTED THEM 18 POINTS.

THIS WEEKEND AT THE MSAC THEY WRESTLE CABELL, SOUTH, HUNT. THEY MAY NOT WIN A DUAL BUT THEY WILL OPEN SOME EYES! THEY ARE A GREAT TOURNAMENT TEAM AND THATS WHAT COUNTS. THEY WILL FINISH HIGH AT STATE AND WIN IT NEXT YEAR. THINK........THE BIG REDS ARE STARTING 6 SOPH'S AND ONE JUNIOR OUT OF THE 12 CLASSES FILLED. THE REST ARE SENIORS AND ALL THE JV'S ARE SOPH'S. PHS ALSO HAS SOME QUALITY FRESHMAN COMING.

THE STATE TROPHY WILL STAY IN P-BURG FOR A LONG TIME TO COME. REASONS ARE,
NO ONE ELSE IN WV KNOWS HOW TO WIN IT (LAST 10 IN P-BURG),
MANY YOUNG QUALITY WRESTLERS STILL TO COME,
BOTH PHS AND SOUTH HAVE HIRED GREAT YOUNG COACHES TO CARRY ON THE TRADITION.
P-BURG TEAMS HAVE A MUCH TOUGHER SCHEDULE THAN ANY OTHER SCHOOL IN THE STATE, FINALLY, BOTH SCHOOLS ARE IN MUCH BETTER MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SHAPE THAN ANY OTHER TEAM. PARKERSBURG IS STILL AND WILL REMAIN THE "MECCA" OF WRESTLING IN THIS STATE. SEE YOU IN HUNTINGTON.

February 3, 1998
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: Igor: I know who animal is...he used to wrestle for the Parkersburg Cougars...

February 3, 1998
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: To Chris Basford: What a nice email I got from you...hope you can get to some camps this summer...I have some opinions on the best camps...My son has been going to his favorite camp since he was 5 years old. In fact, he now wrestles for a private school in Pennsylvania, his coach is originally from your home town...Grafton. His coaches name is Rick Hendrickson and he is building an excellent program at Mercersburg Academy. My son is a sophomore this year. Good luck Chris, you sound like you've got the right attitude. Have you ever considered a school like Mercersburg?

February 3, 1998
name: picks
email: comments:
1 Ash Wenmoth
2 Eric Noel
3 Nick Prather
4 Tyler Hughes
5 Ash Gandee
6 Joey Sharp
1 Jimmy Johnson
2 Adam Schindler
3 Mike Schlieper
4 Nathan Miller
5 James Harris
6 Will Westbrook
1 Jason Hayhurst
2 Eddie Weible
3 Josh Cross
4 Dennis Blankenship
5 Brandon Blake
6 Logan VanDyne
1 Justin Wence
2 Mike Miller
3 Mikey Davidson
4 Kimmer Cline
5 Matt Vallis
6 Scott Hale
1 Logan Glass
2 Mark Lowe
3 Josh Reed
4 Jeff Hughes
5 Aaron Ransom
6 Justin Wright
1 Mike Witherow
2 Eric McCartney
3 Robbie Richardson
4 Zach Liller
5 Daniel Gilley
6 Drew Toth
1 Jason Miller
2 Rob Lamb
3 Andrew Richards
4 Brent Zuccolotto
5 Justin White
6 David Green
1 Denny Lebec
2 Morgan Sisk
3 Jason Seville
4 Scott Burgy
5 John Mayberry
6 Mark Petty
1 Chris Basford
2 Sam Stewart
3 Jason Jones
4 Chad Purpura
5 Marshall McClung
6 Daniel Blevins
1 Adam Blevins
2 Adam Lewis
3 Mike Brandon
4 Timmy Carr
5 Jason Waugh
6 Josh Ramsey
1 Bouge Parrish
2 Steven Kinley
3 Josh Kuykendall
4 Jason Ross
5 Anthony Perdue
6 Keithen Branch
1 Brandon Kupher
2 Justin Underwood
3 Dan Lahman
4 Robert Busick
5 Luke Hoover
6 Whitney Vannetter
1Garrett O'Neil
2 Steve Knotts
3 Jeremy Boatright
4 Jake Spicer
5 Dan Michel
6 Keith Zebley
1 Alex McClung
2 Jeff Martin
3 Luke Salmons
4 Stanley Grimm
5 Zach Dunlap
6 ??????????

February 3, 1998
name: Morgan Sisk
email: rookie@access.mountain.net
comments: When people talk about the hardest weight class, they only seem to consider the heads of the class so to speak. If that were all you needed to go by, then every weight class would be close to equal. 189 is far from being the toughest weight class, because of the lack of quality wrestlers throughout the state, as a result the top wrestlers have a hard time "growing" as a wrestler without constant strong competition. 112 is definitaly to be respected as one of the toughest, this weight class is still very young, and compared to other classes relatively inexperienced. My personal pick for toughest weight class would have to go to either 171 or 152. Both weight classes have the size, experience, and raw talent needed for the "toughest weight class". Plus each school seems to be supplying a quality wrestler at these classes. If you want to see a tough weight class look at 119 in the Region II AA/A two years ago. Zach Liller, Chris Robinson, and I all placed in States the following year, and none of us qualified that year. We placed behind Buddy McKeen, Anthony Williams, Lacey Griffith, and Mike Davisson. Whew, what a ride that was!

February 3, 1998
comments: To: whoever stated that Calhoun will get fifth at the LKC I have just one thing to say! HA!!!!!!!! We have already showed how much higher we can place ahead of Ravenswood (at Braxton) that was without Boatright at 215. Things will not be any different.

February 3, 1998
comments: I just want to wish all the teams good luck going into the Big10 tournament. I know this is not a very tough tournament but I have some predictions
103 auvil
112 jones
119 leach
125 davison
130 wright
135 queen
140 richards
145 byrd
152 basford
160 ?
171 madia
189 wright
215 ?
hwt ?
Coach of the year: Coach Auvil from Grafton
Wrestler of the year: Andrew Richards

February 3, 1998
comments: I left off Underwood because:
1) I was not sure of a return,
2) not positive of weight class.
He indeed will be a contender.

February 3, 1998
Ken Chertow's Olympian Wrestling Schools
email: kchertow@vicon.net
comments: Olympian School Coach, Chris Harmon, recently won a $23,000 scholarship to Marshall Medical School.This scholarship was based solely on merit not on financial need. As stated in earlier forum posting, Chris has a 4.0 GPA through 7 semesters of college. This fact combined with his extremely high MCAT Scores and regular community service coaching wrestling helped him earn his scholarship. Scholarships to med school are extremely difficult to earn. Chris attributes much of his academic work ethic and discipline to his 4 years of high school wrestling. Chris earned All State Honors for Huntington Vinson. Congratulations Chris!

February 3, 1998
comments: It is very ironic that Salmons almost matched the national record for fastest pin in 275 this year. I had no idea that the wrestler that holds it was from West Virginia. Thanks to the editor and Bill Welker for all your hard work and a great site. Was the four second fastest ever?

February 3, 1998
comments: LKC team Finishes
1. Ritchie
2. Wirt
3. Williamstown
4. Ravenswood
5. Calhoun
6. Braxton
7. St. Marys

February 3, 1998

comments: As of today Feb. 3, I am offically released to return to wrestling. First, I would like to thank all my fellow wrestlers, coaches, doctors, and parents for all the support and encouragement they have shown me. It has really ment a great deal to me. All the support I have received proves just how great of a sport wrestling really is.

Upon my return, I will be wrestling 189. I have now been practicing for over a month. I have gained most of my strengh and endurance back. As for what place I will receive in the state tournament, or what place I will get in the region, or for what tournaments I'll win, nobody knows. The only thing I can do is go out and wrestle the best that I can. I am thankful just to have the chance to be able to wrestle once again. Again, I would like to thank everyone for all the support and encouragement.
Thanks.

February 3, 1998
comments: To: Browns
How about your predictions?
Just wondering.

February 3, 1998
comments: I want to know why Ripley is not ranked in AAA top ten. They have a very strong case. They have beaten Parkersburg, and Pt. Pleasant. Also they have finished only 3 points behind Huntington. In addition I would like to congratulate Luke Salmons on his success. As a person from Ripley I find it hard to praise anyone from Ravenswood, but Luke is a friend of mine from way back.

February 3, 1998
comments: AAA Fan: You're probably right about "Hos" and King being our best wrestlers. However, the Ripley roster is competitive throughout. Chad Mullins (125) will place high in the states. Nathan Logan (160) is a very good wrestler and should place high in the states. In the other classes are Jake Samples who is very good, Justin Facemyer is very talented, Scott Rhodes who is a former state champion in Kentucky, Adam Smith (a freshman) who is doing well for a first year competitor, and also Nathan Utt cannot be taken for granted as a heavyweight.

February 3, 1998
Ken Chertow's Olympian Wrestling Schools
email: kchertow@vicon.net
comments: Congratulations to the many WSAZ Champions who have trained regularly over the years with me and Coach Harmon at the Olympian Wrestling School in Huntington! Champions include Junior High Wrestlers Chris Gibbs, Robbie Ripley & Derek Midkiff. High school champions included Chris Johnson, Adam Schimdler, Eric Frazier, Jason Ward and Dallas Nibert. Your hard work is paying off! Make it really pay off at states. No one will remember who WSAZ Champs were years from now, but a State Chamionship is something to savor forever.

Ripley, Johnson, Schindler and Ward all won AAU National Championships last spring. There is no doubt that spring & summer wrestling makes winter champions! Although Ward is local, these 3 other National Champions have traveled many, many miles with their parents to get to Huntington for regular training during the past few years as well as to MANY out of state tournaments.That is often the type of commitment it takes to excel in our sport.

February 3, 1998
comments: This past week at the WV-Ohio duals Ravenswoods Luke Salmons pinned another wrestler in 5 seconds. This breaks the old school record of 6 seconds which was set by two time state champion John Heath. Salmons was told that the 5 second pin was a national record for Heavyweights. My question is; is this a record? And if there are records kept on fastest pins, what was the fastest in all divisions and who got it. Luke is now 33-1. If someone knows the information I asked for or knows where I can get it let me know on this forum. Thanks.
Editor's note: By coincidence, Dr Welker has an article in his archives on this topic, which is posted today, Andy Cross's National Record. Looks like Wrestling USA Magazine may keep track of these records. Additionally, there is a publication available from the National Federation entitled High School Sports Record Book; I have never seen this book and don't know if it contains wrestling records.

National Federation of State High School Associations
11724 NW Plaza Circle
Box 20626
Kansas City, Missouri 64195-0626
(816) 464-5400

As all coaches know, the National Federation is the organization which publishes the rule books for High School Sports. I thought I would include their address for the benefit of all the fans who don't have the latest copy of the rule book. (smile).

February 3, 1998
comments: Chris Basford: Your 100 wins are a great accomplishment...what matters more to college recruiters is what you do at junior/cadet nationals or how you finish in Pittsburgh at that national competition for seniors...do you wrestle freestyle...what do you do in the summer?

February 3, 1998
comments: Underwood will win LKC. Sam Stewart will go to the state finals.

February 3, 1998
comments: What about the most competitive weight class in AAA. What are the opinions on that. I think 160 should definitely be considered. There are several wrestlers who could win it all. Besedich NM, Nibert CM, Johnson JM, Kirby Jeff., .......looks like a tough class.

February 3, 1998
comments: I have been following AAA action a long time. I have heard a lot about Ripley on here but can't seem to recall seeing any of their wrestlers in any tournaments. I heard that Mike Hosaflook and Adam King were probably their best wrestlers . I hope they have a few more good kids for the states. Who do they have in the lower weights?

February 3, 1998
To: Red Devil
I think you have done well in your predictions. I think this Saturday will be a great day of wresling. I think we will have some awesome matches to watch.

February 3, 1998
comments: I think Mullins from Ripley might have beaten Thorpe in the wsaz, but he got beat by Walters from midland. Beat him twice.

February 2, 1998
email: seville@intrepid.net
comments: In response to everyone talking about what is the hardest weight class in A/AA. Going solely on what I've observed and heard -- I don't believe that 112 is the hardest class. I don't even believe that 189 is either, however, it does rank near the top with wrestlers like Justin Underwood, Dan Lahman, Luke Hoover, and Brandon Kupfer. 152 is also a strong class with Chris Basford, Sam Stewart, Tommy Widmyer, Chip Kimble, and Kent McBride. But I believe (and everyone has their own opinions) that 171 is the strongest class. It is filled with talented wrestlers such as Adam Blevins, Ryan Dingess, Josh Kuykendall, Kris Villars, Anthony Perdue, and Bouge Parrish. That is, if all of these wrestlers are still at 171. I have also heard people talking about how hard 119 is, but I'm not sure.

February 2, 1998
email: UffiziCat2@aol.com
comments: Comment from Febuary 1st. Last year I could have reached my 100 wins at the end of the season. We were not even at the mid point of our schedule, even though it was the mid season mark. We were looking at 30 matches left in the season. All that I needed coming into this season was 27, and I got them at home last week. The point is that I learned my lesson, and I did reach 100 wins before I graduated. The only thing that I have left in my head from last year is "what might have happend if I did finish my season last year." That gets to me sometimes, but if you can't learn from your mistakes, you're going to live a hard life in the long run.........

February 2, 1998
comments: How about some individual predictions for LKC this weekend!!
Here is mine:
103 Wenmoth
112 Johnson
119 Hayhurst or Cross
125 Wince
130 Wenmoth or Lowe
135 McCartney
140 Miller
145 ????
152 Stewart
160 Ramsey
171 Ross
189 Wilmoth
215 Boatright
Hwt Salmons
Anybody have any??

February 2, 1998
comments: To: LKC fan
I heard seeding for LKC is the day of!

February 2, 1998
comments: Individual rankings should come out this Sunday for AA.

February 2, 1998
comments: To the comment made from bulldog. I am a Wirt Countian, and I know that those predictions are a fake. I think bulldog is from Wirt or really likes Wirt a lot. Those predictions shouldn't even been posted. Everyone knows that those predictions are going to happen. Too bad! That would be nice.

February 2, 1998
comments: I agree that the 112 weight class is pretty tough. I don't think that the wrestlers in this weight class are given the credit that they deserve. I have seen some pretty good matches between some of the guys in this class. Can anyone give me some information of Schindler from Rav. that just moved down?

February 2, 1998
Can anyone tell me when the indvidual wrestlers will be ranked?

February 2, 1998
comments: Come on. From the Ovac tournament to Blufield, watching the 189 Lb. class & 215 Lb. class absolutely are the toughest, easily the most impressive unpredictable classes. Respecting the lighter weight classes is one thing, calling them or one of them the toughest...NOT!

February 2, 1998
comments: Is Cinalli at 135 0r 145 for the states? He has been wrestling 145 lately.

February 2, 1998
comments: I would like to congratulate Chad Mullins for his victory over Thorpe of Huntington. Someone on here questioned him after placing 4th in WSAZ Inv. There was a mix up in which no Ripley wrestler was seeded but Hosaflook. If it weren't for this Mullins would have won over Thorpe in the WSAZ tournament. I would also like to congratulate Nathan Logan for his impressive victory over his Grundy, VA opponent. In addition I would like to complement the team for defeating Parkersburg, it's been a long time coming. On this note, I would like to raise a question, Why is Ripley not ranked in the state top ten?

February 1, 1998
comments: to coach
You forgot about Schindler of Rav who just moved down.

February 1, 1998
comments: After watching the Big 16 I have made my predictions for the A/AA 112lbs weight class. I feel that this is one of the toughest if not the toughest weight class in the state
1st- Jimmy Johnson
2nd- James Harris
3rd- Matt Jones
4th- Matt Simmons
5th- Willy Wesbrook
6th- Nathan Miller

February 1, 1998
email: Blitz211@aol.com
comments: I feel that South Harrison has a real chance at placing high in the states. I just got done watching the Petersburg smash where we had many injuries and still managed to only get beat by an average of about 8 points. We have a couple of wreslters who have a good chance of winning states like Matt Jones, Mike Davison, Justin Wright and Andrew Richards. We also have Drew Toth and Rich Flanigan that should place. Scott Cottrill and Jason Byrd should also find themselves in the state tournament.

February 1, 1998
email: dookie@aol.com
comments:Ii think that 112lbs is the toughest weight class in A/AA. There is no doubt about it. Jimmy Johnson, Mike Scheiper, Matt Jones, James Harris, Willy Westbrook, Sean Junkins, Matt Simmons, Nathan Miller, Rocky Moore, plus a lot more. Tell me that is not stacked. I think so.

February 1, 1998
comments: wow, I was amazed to read that Basford already got his 100th win. That is pretty great considering he had to sit out half of last year. There are a lot of great wrestlers who never reach the 100 mark, much less do it with such a shortage of matches, I was wondering, if he hadn't of had to sit out the second part of last year, were there enough matches on Grafton's schedule that he would have gotten his 100th win as a junior?

February 1, 1998
comments: Ritchie county will have a state champ or two. Oak Glen and Wirt beware. Animal is coming after you. Can you guess who is known as animal?

February 1, 1998
email: casto@msys.net
comments: Answer to photo quiz 3. Floyd of North Marion on top with the white headgear. The wrestler in the red singlet is Beau Hill of Point Pleasant who placed 4th his sophmore year and I think 5th his freshman year.

February 1, 1998
comments: This weekend's Viking Smash had some good action all the way to the end. Five matches had to have been the most interesting. Jason Seville vs Mogan Sisk. Sisk won a close decision 2-0. Chris Basford vs Sam Stewart. Stewart won a11-10 decision. Josh Kuykendall vs Ryan Dingess. This was very exciting. It went into triple overtime, and ended up in a 1-1 tie. Dingess won by ride out time. Also Steve Knotts lost his first match of the season to Jake Spicer of Petersburg. Dan Lahman got revenge over Luke Hoover by winning a 5-3 decision. This should make for some interesting regional finals matches here in a few weeks.

February 1, 1998
comments: Wait one minute in regards to Nathan Miller (Wirt 112). What happened at Braxton? He made it to the finals and faced Jimmy Johnson. I believe that match ended very quickly with Jimmy pinning him in the first period.

February 1, 1998
name: Hedgesville Fan
email: awmoats@labyrinth.com
comments: Jim Shetler is an excellent choice as a state champion. Furthermore, Hedgesville may have another state champ. Watch out for Bryan Moats come state tourney time. He wrestled impressively against Gorby. Also, Pat Whitmore is now a 119 pounder. Danny Marrs got his first win this weekend. Congratulations!

February 1, 1998
email: seville@intrepid.net
comments: Congratulations to Chris Basford and Josh Reed of Grafton, Josh Kuykendahl of Frankfort, and Morgan Sisk of Petersburg on attaining their 100 career victory mark this weekend at the Viking Smash. Also, Congrats to Frankfort for winning the tournament.

January 31, 1998
I would just like to congratulate Chris Basford, Jason Seville, Morgan Sisk, and Josh Reed for reaching that 100 win plateau. Basford got his at home on Wednesday, and the other three got theirs at the Viking Smash this weekend. Great job guys!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated February 4, 1998