West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 1999 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 16, 1999
email: SWTGIRL82@AOL.COM
comments: LOOK FOR JOHN MARSHALL TO STUN ALOT OF PEOPLE AT REGIONALS AND STATES ESPECIALLY THE 171 POUNDER~TIM JONES, 125 POUNDER~MATT KOTSON, AND 140~BRAD EBERT..... JONES WRESTLED 4TH RANKED TODD DAGGET AND 1ST RANKED NATHAN LOGAN ON THE SAME DAY WHILE HE WAS SICK HE BEAT DAGGET AND WEN INTO OVERTIME WITH LOGAN BECAUSE HE GOT CALLS THAT DIDN'T GO HIS WAY......KOTSON IS A VERY STRONG WRESTLER PLACING 4TH IN THE STATES LAST YEAR AND HAS BEAT SOME OF THE BEST WRESTLERS IN BOTH OHIO AND WEST VIRGINIA THIS YEAR.......EBERT IS IN THE SAME POSTION AS KOTSON HE ALSO HAS BEAT SOME OF THE BEST WRESTLERS IN THE STATE AND WHEN LOSING IT WAS ONLY BY ONE OR TWO POINTS......KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THESE THREE WRESTLERS AND JOHN MARSHALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0)

February 16, 1999
comments: The site created for Cabell Midland is nice, artistically speaking, but I think calling Ward a god is taking it a little too far (sometimes freedom of the press needs to be curtailed, as it has been by our good editor on the forum).....I know that he was beaten twice by 2 different wrestlers from Parkersburg South, albeit in different years. Guess we'll have to wait for the state to see where that goes...Isn't there some saying or Bible verse that says something to the effect that 'pride goeth before a fall'?....(My apologies to the editor if this indeed inflammatory, but I had to say it to someone!):-)

February 16, 1999
email: http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/2777
comments: For the latest news on wrestling go to this site.

February 16, 1999
comments: I see where it is supposed to snow Thursday with sleet on Friday! Let's hope this doesn't interfere with the Regionals! Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

February 16, 1999
comments: I dont think Drake Jenkins has been getting enough credit. Drake is a great wrestler and i think will be top 6 in the state. Along with Ryon Anderson who will have a good shot in the 130 pound class. Drake did suffer a loss the other night to Graftons Chris Leach. Drake has won 3 of the 4 matches. It should be a great region finals. Oh and i have a question where is the 135 for South Harrison. I was at the big 10 and saw him but not wrestling then i did not see his name listed in the wvmat.com top 6. Is he hurt?

February 16, 1999
email: sportsmom@imagixx.com
comments: I have a question and would appreciate some input. Do forfiets count on your win loss record? I have noticed that different teams do things differently. Shouldn't everyone do that same thing so that if a record is broken then it is fair to everyone because their wins and losses are all counted the same. I read on here that North Marion does not count forfiets, neither does East Fairmont but I would just like to know what is correct in this matter. SPORTSMOM
Editor's note: I believe that Dr Welker has already answered this. Winning by forfeit can be counted as a win. After all, the wrestler showed up for the match, made weight, and was ready to go. Not his fault that the other team didn't have anyone for him to wrestle. On the other hand, LOSING a match via forfeit counts as a loss to no one individual, although the team score suffers. Many teams forfeit matches simply because they have no warm bodies on the team to put in that weight class. If one were to assign the loss via forfeit to someone, to whom would you assign it?

February 16, 1999
comments: Good Luck to all the Cabell Midland Knight Wrestlers! Especially good luck to Todd Arbes! Go Get-em!! Can't wait to see all of you at the States!! GO KNIGHTS!

February 16, 1999
comments: I would like to thank Mr. Mark Cagle, Coach of Musselman High School for the support and help you have given me this season. It was greatly appreciated and I won't let you down. I'll try to put on a good show at Huntington next weekend.
Anthony

February 16, 1999
email: Fordmanxlt@aol.com
comments: for the forum..I would like to wish Cabell Midland wrestlers the best of luck in the upcoming regionals and the states..Delong may be cutting to 130..Jared Walters is ready I'm sure!!!!Go Knights

February 16, 1999
comments: From Bryan Moats:
I want to know where Kevin Ballam is in the ranking he just beat Delligatti and has only 6 loses this year and they all came early in the year.

February 16, 1999
comments: From Anthony Regalbuto:
please spell my name with one t instead of two tt's and Ballam is spelled this way not Ballen.
thanks.
Also, Good luck to all the AAA wrestlers this weekend and may the best wrestlers win.

February 16, 1999
comments: In regard to all the attention focused on Jimmy DeLong's recent (very recent) move to Huntington. Read today's Sport's Monday for more on this story. As for the quote about the "seeing the irony," it truly is ironic that some fans from HHS have criticized Jason Ward ever since he left South Point 4 years ago to come to Midland and now see nothing wrong with Jimmy doing this 2 weeks or so before the regionals. Jimmy is a fine young man and I wish him all the best but the timing was to say the least awkward. Also, don't count Arbes out at the regionals as he only lost to Delong by a score of 5-3 at the WSAZ and that means the matchup at regionals should be a good one. Also, the regionals for region 3 have been moved to Pt. Pleasant from Capital.

February 16, 1999
comments: I have seen many great wrestlers but ROBBIE BROWN is one of the best in the state like it or not.

February 16, 1999
email: DaveHearst@aol.com
comments: Matt Cinalli, Holland Dotts and Jeff Courtney have sustained minor injuris and are resuming practice this week and getting ready for regionals.

February 16, 1999
comments: whoever thought up the criteria for the msac championship is (not thinking in ways consistant with my thought processes). There is no way a wrestler should go 5 and 0 and not win. This is some bogus stuff. What the heck ever happened to good old head to head competition. Those (people) who are in charge of this should (reconsider their position). It is probably those people from (fill in the blank). No one ever accused them of being to smart. Good luck at regionals and whip some butt!!!!
Editor's note: That should be too smart.

February 16, 1999
comments: I pick Willy Westbrooke to win state's at 119.

February 16, 1999
comments: NRVC champions BRAXTON COUNTY. they gave up only 34 points the whole night.

February 16, 1999
comments: OK,so I got of track a day or two, but here is my 145-275.
145-McCartney seems to be the favorite but personally I like Berkeley Springs' Jason Seville. Litten,whom has already beat Seville,should finish 2nd with McCartney 3rd and Lamb from OG and Green of Bishop finishing 4 and 5.
152-Region 1 should dominate this class.Look for Johnson of Williamstown and Holdsworth of OG to win this class. Waugh,which lost to Cameron's Wyatt O'Neil this weekend,and Snider from Tyler should all be in the money with Kimble from Frankfort placing.
160-Jones from OG looks like a definite favorite. Widmyer from Berkeley should compete well as should Purpura and Zuccolotto from Weir High.
171-Kinley from Liberty looks dominate here. Drennen from! Wirt and Godman from Berkeley will put up a fight.Never discount an Oak Glen wrestler as Adkins has already beat a few tough Ohio wrestlers.Underwood may contend if he can wrestle.
189-Kupfer is the defending state champ at this weight but you have the '98 AAA champ at 171 in Shady Springs' Mike Thompson,Liberty Raleigh's Adam Lewis,Wirt's Kris Villars,Frankfort's Jeremiah Kuykendall and St.Mary's Arnold Houser which adds up to one good class.
215-Busick vs.Six.Lahman from Petersburg looks good also.
275-Salmons over McClung in a tough final.

February 16, 1999
comments: Braxton County's Tony Hardway and James Harris have reached their 100th career wins! Congratulations!

February 16, 1999
comments: I just wanted to say congrats to Adam Cyrus on a good webpage. Keep it up, and we're looking forward to seeing more.
http://members.aol.com/acyrus3333/page/index.htm

February 14, 1999
comments: Which Region is Clay County in?

February 14, 1999
email: bigjunk@hotmail.com
comments: I have updated my page dor the second to last time, i have removed all the polls , and posted the results for your viewing pleasure. Check it out__http://homepages.infoseek.com/~da_spider
thanks everyone, it's been a great season!!!
spider

February 14, 1999
comments: Don't underestimate the "underdogs" as the regionals and State are coming up - Go PARKERSBURG SOUTH!!!:-)

February 14, 1999
comments: Does anyone know the status on Matt Cinalli, Holland Dotts, & Jeff Courtney from Fairmont Senior?

February 14, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: Clarity of my post of Feb 13....I have recieved an email with bogess email addresses. The term monsters is used in a good light referring to three specific fellows who have been working with my boy at Weir and I am grateful, they are a direct result of him peaking properly. If the person has a beef with the way I am involved with another program, just use your email address and I will answer.

February 14, 1999
comments: Delong did transfer to HHS. MIDLAND IS A GREAT TEAM AND THEY HAVE A REALLY GOOD CHANCE AT THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

February 14, 1999
comments: To the editor...... yes Jimmy Delong is at HHS now and it is the same one that won wsaz...... super wrestler...... and i am glad that someone thinks that Cox deserves the #1 spot in the state,, he has worked hard for that.....and there are plenty of other wrestlers at hhs that deserve credit too... good luck to all

February 14, 1999
comments: Okay...First off, I will share my thoughts on the Delong coming to HHS to wrestle...I thought you had to attend a school for a semester before you could play a sport for that school...Whats up with that...???
Now i made a homepage for the Cabell Midland Wrestling Team...if you would like to check it out go to: http://members.aol.com/acyrus3333/page/index.htm

February 13, 1999
comments: To:hhs midland fan;
Congrats to huntington for their win over South, and as far as Jason Cox he deserves the #1 ranking. [probably the only one between the two schools that does)..but as for Delong coming to Huntington ... ..I hope the best for the team and the young man...but I don't see much positive that can come from this situation....
Editor's note: Er, um, what are you guys talking about? Are you talking about DeLong from South Point who was this year's WSAZ champ at 135? Has he moved to Huntington?

February 13, 1999
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/2777
comments: For news on wrestling in WV go to this site.

February 13, 1999
comments: So what does everyone think about HHS'S defeat over Park South for the first time since 1983? Also how bout Jason Cox #1 in the state the only one that is #1 between cabell midland and hhs. And what does everyone think about Jimmy Delong going to hhs to wrestle...... i think the regionals and state are in hhs's hands.... midland looks like they could be in trouble...good luck to both schools in regionals and state

February 13, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: For all the monsters that work with my son at Weir High..for the Oak Glen program that Larry Shaw respects...and for those who think they know without paying minimum dues....post with your names and email addresses............... or hide like a certain few do.
http://www.pwrlftr.com

February 13, 1999
comments: To: the rock.
I'm aware of the system used to figure out who is in what bracket at states - that is why on some weight classes i have said it depends on who is in which bracket, there are some givens however - for example, the 1 & 4 from each region, and the 2&3 from each region are in the same brackets, so the 1 & 2 from the same region are automatically put in opposite brackets.
To: the person that accused me of being from wirt - no - i'm not from wirt, i added a few lines in a new page on my page that answer this and several other "backgroundish" questions a lot of people seem to have about me - just go to my page (http://www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html) and then hit the link to the section about my background. hopefully this will clear up some things....
Editor's note: Well, my friend talon has unveiled her true identity (actually last week or before, for those who took the time to explore her nice web site). I'd like to thank talon for all the good work she has done the past years in submitting results to the website. I kinda hated to see her go off to Chicago to school, because she was so much help; I thought about writing her HS principal to see if he couldn't find some reason not to let her graduate. (smile). Well, life must go on...

February 13, 1999
comments: I understand that at least two coaches in the state got their 300th dual meet wins this season. Bill Archer of Huntington and Ernie Sparks of Midland....speaks well of the two programs that both of these men run...I believe both have had programs in the top ten for as long as I can remember.... any other coaching mile stones out there?

February 13, 1999
comments: This is not directed towards all wrestlers, who competed in the Ripley Quad this past week, but I think that the attitudes of some of West Virgina's top wrestlers could use some improvement.

February 13, 1999
comments: to JV Superwrong
Everytime that King and Coffey have wrestled this year King has won. Furthermore, Ripley and Cabell Midland are not even in the same region!

February 13, 1999
email: WVGUMP33@AOL.COM comments: If anyone has information on the W.V Junior States in Parkersburg, could you please send it to me via e-mail. Thanks in advance.

February 12, 1999
comments: I would just like to send congrats to the midland wrestling team for there winning season before the states this year...look for Jason Ward to win the state for the 3rd time, for Josh Coffey to beat kings Ass in the regionals and states..and for David Lemaster to reach his 100 wins this weekend...they are doing a great job...keep it up guys...best of luck in the states to Coach Sparks and the rest of the team

February 12, 1999
comments: I don't think Ryan Bumgardner will beat Chris Morris at the states. I was at LKC'S and saw them wrestle. Morris didn't look too hot there but I think he will be ready for him at the Regionals. Even though he is 2-1 versus Bumgarder. My picks are going to Morris.

February 12, 1999
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: Mike Mason just finished his 1st semester of chiropractic school with straight A's. Congrats! Mike was a 3x WV State Champion for Williamstown and 2x NCAA All American for WVU. Mike has worked hard to excel in school throughout his life, so it is no surprise he has excelled in professional school. I encourage all WVMAT readers to strive for excellence both on and off the mats as Mike has. You cannot wrestle forever.
To my many Olympian Summer Camp Students and all you other dedicated wrestlers... RISE TO THE OCCASION at states. Champions have "peak performances" when it counts!

February 12, 1999
comments: To Chop-Chop Adam King did not lose to anyone at Msac.The individual places were based on criteria since many of the teams did not wrestle each other. In fact the Vikings had four guys go 5-0, King, Logan, Mullins, and Rhodes but only one champ, Rhodes.

February 12, 1999
email: wvchad@aol.com
comments: This a follow-up to a previous posting regarding a freestyle club being formed after the season. The club would most likely be held in the Fairmont/Morgantown area. Ages would be from middle school to high school. The club will most likely be a low key, 2 nights a week club, with a focus on having fun and improving our kids feet wrestling. Please contact me if you have any interest in this..

February 12, 1999
comments: To Chop Chop:
Welsh & King did not meet at the MSAC. The winner was decided by criteria established prior to the tournament. Not a good way to decide a champion I agree. Early in the season at the Jackson Co. Invit. King dec. Welsh 5-3.

February 12, 1999
comments: I would also like to know why some schools count forfeits as a win on their record and some do not! NORTH MARION DOES NOT COUNT FORFEITS AS A WIN ON THEIR RECORD!!

February 12, 1999
comments: I just want to let everyone know that there is a 103 pounder from Ritchie County, named RYAN BUMGARDNER, that everyone is counting out. He beat the kid from Grafton and he beat the boy from Calhoun 7-1 at the LKC meet. He is improving drastically with every match, so don't be surprised when he gives Ash Gandee a run for his money in Huntington!!!! Good Luck to all at states!!!!

February 12, 1999
comments: Sara, I found the information you were looking for on your coach and will Email same to you...

February 11, 1999
email: Crafty@ecr.net
Comments: Hi! My name's Sara. I know most of the stuff on this forum is current wrestling, but I have a historical question. I'm from Ohio and I'm a wrestling stat. Our head coach's name is John Brown. I know he was a 2X state champ in WV, I was wondering if anyone out there remembers him from when he wrestled there. He lived in Clay Co. and wrestled in the early 80's. Thanks for your time! Sara

February 11, 1999
comments: Concerning the individual coaches poll: I'm not so sure this poll is 'only as good as the paper its written on'. Did you compare the last two years polls to the state placewinners? I've never seen such a poll so accurate. I would estimate that 90% of the top six ranked individuals per weight class finished in the top six down state.

February 11, 1999
comments: can anyone tell me how adam king lost to welsh by pin or loss or tell me the whole story

February 11, 1999
comments: My AA-A predictions:
103-Gandee looks like a favorite but do not discard Brown from Cameron or Zubay from Oak Glen.
112-Kupfer has looked better than Wenmoth thus far. Roberts will place high also.
119-Westbrook and Noel should battle for top laurals with Johnson,O,Neil,and Miller looking for high spots in the state.
125-Look for Hayhurst to battle Tyler Hughes in the finals. Hughes has been on fire after OVAC.Blakenship, Bush, Shearer, Prather,and Barker could all finish in the money.
130-Lowe vs.Glass Round 2. Look for Wince and Lucey and Valles, if healthy.
135-Weible should win but J.Wenmoth could surprise. Watch for Cross and Childers to place high.
140-It will be a toss up between Hughes,Miller,and Wharton.
Got to go, 145-275 tomorrow.

February 11, 1999
Williamstown's 112 Ash Wenmoth and 119 Willie Westbrook have both reached the 100 career victory in the last week. Ash currently has 102 while Willie is one behind with 101. Justin Wenmoth needs 3 more victories to eclipse the century mark. Williamstown has always believed in facing competetion -- only four 100 match winners to date:
Dan Rowell 125
Mike Mason 112
Bryan Jones 109
Joe Shuman 101

February 11, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Jason Ward on reaching his 150th carrer win last night versus Williamstown. Keep up the good work guys, and good luck in Huntington.

February 11, 1999
comments: to Talon
For all the stuff you said to happen at state it would take a divine act. You have to many if's. You do not know for sure who is going to be in what bracket. There is no set rotation that it goes by every year. Its a formaula pulled from a hat......

February 10, 1999
email: hbush@wvadventures.net
comments: If a wrestler has a match and his opponent doesn`t show he is declared a winner by forfeit, and it is credited as a win on his record, is this not true? Then if this is the case, if this same wrestler was to forfeit a match is it not counted as a loss on his record, and if not could someone explain why not? I`m not sure that this is a true statement, but if it is I was just curious whether this was the case and why?

February 10, 1999
comments: if anyone knows who won individual results for the msac please list them it would really be of use thanks

February 10, 1999
comments: The unofficial word on Salmons of Ravenswood is he hurt his thumb and wants it to heal so it is not further injured.

February 10, 1999
comments: to talon
are you from Wirt?

February 9, 1999
comments: Adam King of Ripley was quoted as having a record of 40-1 in the Charleston Gazette.

February 9, 1999
comments: To: The person that criticized my math skills and did not have the guts to say their name. If you would look CLOSLY at the wrestlers that made it in the finals in the LKC, you would notice what weight classes, and what wrestlers these were. To find out more about why I made my team picks – go back to my page (www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html) – I’m going to update it tonight sometime – and give full explanations of why I have made the picks that I have. Just click on the word “Explanation” next to “Team:”. Then see if you still have the same criticisms. OK? And in the future – if you are going to make condescending comments – I would appreciate it if you were man – or woman enough to attach your name. Don't get me wrong though - I'm happy to get feedback, and I've sincerly appreciated those that have given it to me in the past few days - I'd just like it to be put a bit more maturely - like all the others have done. On a positive note - I'd just like to say that I've! had over 150 hits on my page in 2 days - WOW. Thanks for visiting everyone....

February 9, 1999
email: Allsport@intrepid.net
comments: While recognizing that polls are only about as good as the paper they are written on and really mean even less, I am curious about which coaches comprise the " Coaches poll" and by what criteria their decisions are made? Is it based on win-loss record or is it based only on in-state competition or head to head competition? How can a team like Martinsburg, who has not lost a dual match since Wheeling park continue to drop in the rankings. Just curious!!!

February 9, 1999
comments: TO "Ada" Leach
SORRY ABOUT THE MISS SPELLING CONGRATS ON TUESDAY

February 9, 1999
email: dcrad@access.mountain.net
comments: To: Mr. Hayhurst, I know exactly how you feel. I just hope the next bad call doesn't cost your son a state championship. You're lucky they even posted your comments. Last year when my son, Josh , didn't get two takedowns in the semi-finals I complained and like you had film to back up my claims. My comments were deleted. You had better get used to the bad calls, they are a fact of this and any other sport. The only thing you can do is hope your son can take the match out of the referee's hands. I understand that these guys are human and they all try to do a good job, but every job requires you to answer for your mistakes. I've NEVER seen or heard a referee admit to a mistake as long as I've been around wrestling. As fathers we need to encourage our sons or daughters and convince them its not the end of the world and some things in life aren't fair. Let's hope the officals step up there intensity the way the wrestlers do at the end of the year. I hope your son gets his rematch at the state tournament, when it really counts!

February 9, 1999
comments: To Talon
Wirt had only three champs at LKC and Williamstown had five. Lets do the math three is less than five. Thats five Williamstown could get in the state finals to the three Wirt could get. Five will score more than three. Wirt will not win state.

February 9, 1999
comments: I just wanted to reply to a certain south fan that no one deserves anything!!!!!!!!!!!It's not who deserves a state title; it's who shows up, and proves themselves in huntington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 1999
comments: congratulations to Jared Walters and all the other Midland wrestlers who went 5/0 at the MSAC. Evertbody check out http://www.wvsports.com/walters.htm for a story about Jared

February 9, 1999
comments: vallies from weirton hurt his knee after OVAC...

February 9, 1999
comments: does anyone know who will be at sissonville this weekend???

February 9, 1999
comments: Just wanted to note something. If you read the article from the Grant County newspaper, it talked about how Dan Lahman now has 107 wins - second in Petersburg only to his big brother Nick. Well, most people have probably forgotten by now, but Dan did not wrestle his freshman year. Nick did. So Dan's wins have been amassed in three years! Imagine how much he would have beaten the school record by if he had wrestled all four years.

February 9, 1999
email: talon98@hotmail.com
comments: Christopher - thanks for the input. I'll be sure to add Hale to the list - I missed him somehow. As for why I'm still picking Wirt, well, its hard to say. I just think it'll happen. As for Williamstown beating them - that was a smaller tournament. I think most people will agree with me when I say that come state time - it doesn't matter who won what tournament, or what dual match. The state tournament is completly different from anything else. Its a whole new ballgame....er.... match.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page