West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 2004 Forum (Part Five)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 25, 2004
comments: Will someone please post the seeds for the Jr. States, the kids deserve the recognition, just like the big boys.

February 25, 2004
comments: The fans are geared up. The final pounds have been shed. The seniors have laced up in their practice facilities for the last time. Everything is about to change. 16 vie for 6. 6 vie for 1. 1 wins. The greatest sporting event the state has ever known is upon us...let it begin!

February 25, 2004
comments: i would like to say good luck to dave bonecutter....you have turned it up a few notches this year...i know how bad u want this, u can see it all over u when ur out there on the mat, you've done all u can do, YOUR READY, so go out there and just wrestle your match and u will get what you've worked so hard for this season.

February 25, 2004
comments: I have'nt seen any jr.high/middle school polls out in a while. Just asking where they've been.

February 25, 2004
comments: Actually it isn't possible for the top two wrestlers to meet in the quarter finals at states. As a math major I will prove this. (This is what we call a proof by contradiction. We assume a statement is true then show that this is illogical and therefore the statement is false.)
Proof:
Let wrestlers A and B wrestle each other in the quarter finals. Assume A and B are the top two wrestlers in the state. Each 1/4 has one regional champion. Without loss of generality, let's say wrestler A is this champion. This implies wrestler B was not champion of his region which we will call R. Since each 1/4 has exactly 1 wrestler from each region this implies A is not from R. Therefore there exists C such that C was the champion of R. Therefore C>B.

Case one: A defeats B: this implies A>B. And since C>B, B is not one of the top 2. #

Case two: B defeats A: this implies C>B>A. Therefore A is not one of the top 2. # Therefore A and B are not the two best wrestlers in the state.

February 25, 2004
comments: has anyone seen the seeds for the jr. states? the 13-15 age at 137 lbs. is loaded it should be a great tourney.

February 25, 2004
comments: I just want to wish Brad Burns, Mike Hambrick, and Collin Bennett the best of luck going into the state tournament. Brad - This is your chance. I believe you've come further as a wrestler than anyone I know. When it's down to the best 16 guys, anyone can come out on top, especially you. Mike - When I watched you wrestle Starsick to a 1 point decision your sophomore year, that told me all I needed to know. I wish I could be in Huntington to see you this weekend. You've been the best 189 in the state for 3 years now; go out there and prove it! Collin - I don't even know what to say. I know the pressure that wrestling and being the best can put on somebody, and I certainly don't want to add to that. You've seen states before, now you know what it's like. Relax and take it one match at a time and, when the dust settles, you'll stand on top of the podium.

February 25, 2004
comments: Good Luck at States Uncle D Te and all the guys from Point... Even you Warner.

February 25, 2004
comments: Rankings do not reflect brackets, b/c I feel it is possible for #1 and #2 to meet in the semis...or even the quarters. The number 2 guy isn't always number 2.

As for who beat who, I am well aware of previous encounters. Everything is out the window at states. Check my number ones again post tournament. Then we will talk.

The offer on those photos still stands. webmaster@zengrappling.com

February 25, 2004
comments: Well the truth hurts. But a certain Wheeling Park young man will overcome all odds and show you I was right all along. And if you want to see how tough lloyd christmas is why dont you travel to some open tournamants and we will see you there. Might be fun who knows!

February 25, 2004
comments: This is NOT intented as a comment on "The Controversy!" I do feel I need to respomd to those who say that an injury default should disqualify you from further wrestling in a tournament. In my coaching career I have had this occur twice where one of my kids injury defaulted and then finished a tournament. Case 1 - My Wrestler discolates his index finger and injury defaults in the 16 man bracket at WSAZ having won a bout previously. He goes to the E.R. Friday night and they put his finger back and the MD clears him to wrestle. He comes back to the first round conso round on Saturday morning with his finger padded (legally) and taped to the next ones and continues and places 4th. His health was not in danger but he clearly had to injury default. Case #2 My son dislocated his clavicle from his sternum in a sledding accident his eighth grade year. He had to take time off of course. When he was medically cleared to practice he did and got his pratices in but we were careful. He returned to action at the WSAZ. He was byed into the 16 man. In his first live match after the injury his opponent locked in a double chicken wing that was approaching potentially dangerous or illegal and his coach (Dad) threw in the towel so to speak not wishing to risk further injury. My wrestler was in obvious pain but I was not sure if he had reinjured himself or not. This was prior to the day of the 4 point near fall so we injury defaulted. Same scenario as before - he was checked out and wanted to try to wrestle after the trainor and his Dr. both cleared him to do so. He went on to place third. I believe there are legitimate cases (not saying the "Controversy" was not legitaimate in any way and casting no disperions on any wrestler, coach or team) where wrestlers can indeed continue after a default that was taken in caution and or injuries such as the dislocated finger. There is also the blood time caeavt as well. If a wrestler loses a match due to running out of blood time then he should be able to continue in the event after bleeding and clean up have occured in the next round.
Just mu .02 from an old coach! JL/MMS

February 25, 2004
comments: To: SupermanI saw your rankings....not bad but you have a couple problems with the AA heavy weight. Number one, Freda is from Lewis county. Number two, he will be the one to win states. I say good luck to him and McCarty at states and to all the wrestlers from Buckhannon.

February 25, 2004
Editor's note:
Got word from a reliable source that South's Dunn's court appeal was unsuccessful.

Passions are pretty inflammed in Wood County right now. I don't want this forum to be responsible for further fanning the fires of, I'm trying to find the right word here, hatred and contempt. That sounds a little harsh, but what I'm seeing coming in to this forum goes a little farther than rivalry.

So, I've decided that I'm going to put a moratorium on posting anything about Parkersburg High, Parkersburg South, and "the controversy." Lets give it a rest for a while.

There are nearly 200 wrestlers going to the states tomorrow who are not from either of these two schools. For many of them, it is a dream come true - just to qualify for the states one time in their career.

Let's not piss on their party.

February 25, 2004
comments: Well it's time. Time to step up and gain your respect back. You guys are much better than 10th. So show the state how hard you guys have been working this year. Let's see 4 or 5 in the semi's. Watch out, it can happen. Your taking nine and placing 5 or 6. Get r done!

February 25, 2004
comments: Mahan is stronger. Ashley has far better technique. Mahan has a 25% chance. Ashley's skills will distance him from Maha if they wrestle moves. If Ashley is foolish enough to toss, his odds go below 50/50. I see a frustrated muscler getting second (his highest finish ever). Shaw teaches basics. The rest was available, but the weight bar called too hard. They still gotta wrestle the match, but my "quid" is on Ashley. The same is true at 125. Scarboro walks if he can get by his little friend from camp. Should be more interesting without the injured shoulder. Good luck.

February 25, 2004
comments: Comment on the zengrappling polls, I don't know how in your right mind you could rate anyone ahead of Mitch Smith at 140, he can't be stopped!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2004
comments: I don't remember ever seeing Mahan wrestle, but I do know a little bit about Ashley. He's been through some tough experiences for such a young man, and he's come out on top. Take whatever you know about previous performances or score comparisons and throw it all out. Some kids will tighten up and some will take over. The sophomore, Mahan, will have plenty more opportunities, but I don't believe the senior, Ashley, will be denied his 3rd state title. I look forward to watching the wrestlers decide this for themselves on the mat. There will be some good quarterfinal and semifinal round matches. It should be fun to watch. Good luck to all wrestlers this weekend. I hope you are all able to be at your best.

February 25, 2004
comments: Superman...those rankings are worse than the coaches poll. Kids are ranked lower than kids they beat? Ridiculous. I do not see where you people come up with these things...lol

February 25, 2004
comments: I'm sorry I forgot about Merico losing to Hill in double overtime, but the score of the Merico & Watson match was wrong on this website. Merico had a big lead before pinning Watson. Sorry to prove you wrong but if you dont believe I'll show you the book.

February 25, 2004
Dunn's appeal to the court was unsuccessful.

February 25, 2004
comments: I was just wondering how Anthony Easter is doing this year. I mean, we just haven't heard much about him like we did his older brother Matthew. If anyone can provide me with any information as to how Anthony is doing this year and how Matthew is doing at Cornell I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I know they have a younger brother, Seth, how is he doing with his wrestling? Good Luck to ALL wrestlers at states this year, and to Anthony Easter and Mitch Smith... I know you boys will do great!! :)

February 25, 2004
email: edmoore99@aol.com
comments: How does a person find put more info on freestyle wrestling?
tournamemts , camps , rules etc...
thanks
Ed Moore

February 25, 2004
comments: I know it's difficult to place teams in order in mythical polls , just ask the BCS . It does however , bewilder me that East Fairmont and John Marshall can be rated higher than University considering the recent head-to-head tournaments . Absoluteky no disrespect to those fine teams and their programs and excellent coaching but University just beat them both in the NCACs and Region1. Just an observation .

February 25, 2004
comments: I agree......until Tominack is beat, he should remain number 1 even though he defaulted in the regional final. Lindamood almost beat him earlier in the year but didnt. Tominack and deligatti should be the semi final match, we'll see just how good deligatti is....I have not seen him wrestle...ever. the other semi should be Lindamood vs. Radcliffe rd 3, Lindamood is 2-0 with a 3-1 and 7-2 victories. I say Lindamood will win and that will set up a great finals match. Them 189 pounders are very physical when they get on the mat. I've seen more blood with the 189 pounders then anything this year.

February 25, 2004
comments: I have to agree with the person who said these polls are crap. Polls should be to rank the best in each weight class in the state not to predict things such as state tournament results. Wrestlers can't control what pill is drawn and thus where they end up on the bracket. Every other state that I've seen that has rankings does the rankings in a manner to show how is better than whom. Polls and rankings should be done to honor these kids and their accomplishments and should not be done in a way to slight them. If wrestler A beats wrestler B then wrestler A should be ranked above wrestler B period. It shouldn't be a matter of well yeah A won but because a certain pill was drawn we're going to put B above A in the rankings. It's a poll not a prediction or rename it to coaches predictions of the state tournament and also have a poll of who is best in the state. As for the team polls same thing. For example Hedgesville wins region 2 by 30pts and has beaten Jefferson by what 20 pts in a dual and yet East Fairmont and Jefferson are ranked above Hedgesville because someone thinks Jeffersons 4 wrestlers will outscore Hedgesvilles 11 at states. Real nice. Can we find any other ways to degrade these wrestlers and teams. I'm sure from the comments on here that Hedgesville isn't the only team in this spot. Again I haven't seen any other state pull this crap with their kids they honor their kids through their rankings. Hopefully this stupid assinine idea will be scrapped after this season. Obviously someone wanted to try something new and didn't think before they implemented it. As for the team polls I for one would like to see a return to two polls one for tournament teams and one for best dual teams in the state. Anyway this is my 2 cents on these so called polls (predictions). Hopefully the state tournament will show these predictions for what there worth which is less than toilet paper.

February 25, 2004
comments: I would like to take a momment to wish East Fairmont good luck at States this weekend. Take it one match at a time, give everything you have everytime you set foot on the mat and you will do fine. So, to the following wrestlers: Jobey,Chris,Zack,Josh,Shawn,Matt,Billy,Corey,Brandon,and Jesse go down with minds clear, muscles relaxed and drive set high. And we will be proud of your accomplishments what ever they may be. I would also like to wish the Bearcats good luck this weekend in AA.
Shane Eakle

February 25, 2004
comments: SUPERMAN have you not looked at the brackets you have alot of the boys that will meet up in the semis predicted 1 and 2....not to bright

February 25, 2004
comments: Once again, PHS calls itself the school of champions due to their over 120 team state titles. Granted some of these were before the split in wood county but they are still far and away the most titles in the state. By the way 18 wrestling titles and 9 football titles are more than a couple.

Doc I revised my post a little I hope this one makes the cut. Im not sure if you recieved the first one or not but thought I would resend. It's real in vogue to run PHS down at the current time and even though I'm a little embarassed at some of the things that have happened in the last few years I'm still proud to be a Big Red.

February 25, 2004
comments: Good luck to the boys from the dark side of Marshall County this weekend. You guys have been amazing us all year and you only have one weekend left. No one thought you could beat John Marshall.. but you did. No one thought you'd beat East Fairmont.. but you did. No one has thought you'd beat Williamstown, but you have in a dual and at regions by 30. Maybe beating the Bears is out of the question.. but crazier things have happened and I know if we keep winning the close ones and the ones you shouldn't, then its going to be close. Don't look at the polls or even worry where you're ranked, b/c this week you have the perfect opportunity to prove the state and the polls wrong. 112- Tim Cumpston... you got the draw buddy. Wrestle hard and on Saturday night if you stay out of the spladle, I think you'll be the first Cumpston state champ from CHS. 119- Noah O'Neil... you got the draw too. Its your senior yr, so make this one count. You have a tough one against Billings, but come out physical and you'll be wrestling right after Timmy. 125- Kelly Hughes... you're underrated and that's fine. You're in a good pill also. It won't be easy, but besides getting caught you are as good as anyone in region 1 and your first match and quarter opponent are in for a rude awakening. Come out hard and wrestle with heart and aggressiveness and you will be in the top 4. 130 Brandon Antill... You've stuck it out even when things have looked unfavorable. I know you have a tough one first, but I know you can come back through and score some points and who knows, maybe even sneak into Saturday. 135 Jeff Pettit... Wrestle hard for 6 minutes and you can hang with anyone. Win that first one and you're over the hump, I know you can do it. 140- Jeff Cumpston... Time to show the state you're one level up them. Bring home the second Cumpston state title. 145- Casey Hughes.... you're my favorite... thanks for the memories and as long as you get after Elder this week you will be bringing home gold for the 3rd time and polish off that 41-0 se ason. 152- Josh Whipkey.. stick em! I can see you placin, just have confidence and keep movin. 160- Adam Cooper... You're ready to have your best tournament of the year. There wont be any tech falls this time around for anybody who steps out there with you. Wrestle with your head and heart and you will be giving alot of paybacks this weekend, you can wrestle with anybody. 171- Isaac Stewart... You know what you have to do.. it wont be easy.. but I know if you wont it, you'll reach up and get it, so go get it. 189- Steve Blake... bad first round draw.. but I know anybody that comes back into a wrestleback with you, you can beat, so wrestle like a madman and you will be in it Saturday as well. 215- Dan Dishman... No one thought you'd be here, but you are. Good for you! Wrestle hard and go after it, you never know what will happen. 275 C.J Manning- The road gets harder at the top of the hill, but this is the last hurrah. You've come so far over the years, even if you didn't pla! ce we're all still proud of you. But.. we know you will, don't look at the polls and forget last week because you are still one of the top 3 until proven otherwise. Get after it and stay in good position and maybe we'll see you Saturday night. Good luck boys and bring home the gold!

February 25, 2004
comments: East has Tyrell Mason 103, and The Murphy Twins 140 and 145
North Has Eric Hinerman 135 - this kid is a stud! West gets youngsters Cameron Satterfield 103, and Cody Moore 125?

February 25, 2004
comments: Want to send out big congratulations and good luck to the Hedgesville Eagles on winning the Region 2 AAA tournament. The eagles got the needed upsets to win the tournament and wrestled very well. Roberts with the first round upset over his competitor what a way to start off the tournament. And I can't say enough about Jared Sella pinning his way to the title from the 4th seed. Loved to see that a kid with a great attitude on top the podium. Only thing I wish was different about Sella is that I wish he had been a BC Bear. Again great attitude great kid and great wrestling at regionals keep it up. Congratulations to regional champ Josh Grim you wrestled very well at regionals probably the best I've seen this year from you and I wasn't the only former BC coach saying that. Keep it up. You got a tough draw at states but go get em. Good showing by the whole team at regionals keep it up through this weekend. Good luck to all the eagles at states and to all the eastern panhandle wrestlers. Want to send out good luck to some non eagles as well Haislip just stay focused and you will be all right. You've put in the hard work over the years now make that run to the top of the podium. I remember you as a 5 yr old on the BC Bears and you were good then and only got better and better. Listen to your coach and do your best. Codie Gustines another person who has definitely put in the time to challenge for the state title. Love to see you win one as well. Anyway again congrats to the Eagles on their regional title and good luck to all at states.

February 25, 2004
comments: Justin Ashley the "Man Animal" is going to win the state championship. I have seen him on the mat and let's just say Mahan had better be ready for some action.

February 25, 2004
comments: Who gonna get the most in the State Finals in AAA??? Is this state tournament going to get exciting???

February 25, 2004
comments: Crystal ball: Those are the best predictions I've seen so far. I agree with almost every single pick. Maybe one or two off in semis.

February 25, 2004
comments: The WVSSAC has set a dangerous precedent here. The rule should be changed so that if a child defaults due to injury, he/she cannot continue to compete in that tournament/duel. If a child continues in a tournament/duel meet after they have declared injury, they have the potential to perhaps permanently injure themselves. This type of decision should not be left up to a child. It's not necessarily an ethical issue, but one that should be looked at from a safety aspect. This would also eliminate any discussion of poor ethics in scholastic wrestling. Just my $.02.

February 25, 2004
comments: To Marion County fan in FLA: There certainly are a few names to watch for next year.....East will have a new infusion of blood for the high school program by the way of Patrick Murphy (43-4) and Morgan Murphy (43-2) as well as Nathan Long, Caleb Krepps, Kaleb Eakle, Colton Harr, Logan Michael, Zach Piscitelli, and Matt Talerico........another county wrestler to watch for is Eric Hinerman, currently in the North Marion area. The Murphys and Hinerman have previous mat experience at peewee level, but the majority of the other young men were new to the sport this season and proved themselves worthy adversaries on the mat.

February 25, 2004
comments: Just want to say way to go to the 7 riverside westlers who mades the states this week. So Hall, Carter, Coutz, Kinser, Lowery, Wojociechowicz, and Rowsey takes it to them this weekend boys and bring home medals.

February 25, 2004
comments: Can anyone name all of the current West Virginia wrestlers who haven't lost to an in-state competitor? Mitch Smith is the only one I can think of. Are there any more?

February 25, 2004
comments: May The LORD bless you indeed; may He enlarge your skills and abilities; may His Spirit fill you with the heart of a lion on the mat and a lamb off the mat; may He keep you from evil that you would cause no harm. May you be like David; may He grant you the victories over the "Goliaths". May you be like Jehoshaphat; may you call upon The Name of The LORD to grant you victory over enemies too mighty for your own skills and may you glorify Him for His deliverance. Two or more (your mother and I) are in agreement upon this; may The Lord make it so. As for me and my house, we will serve The LORD.

February 25, 2004
comments: I'm looking for anyone interested in doing some photography for ZenGrappling.com

what I would like is if anyone is interested in sending me pictures from the state tournament, I will publish them on the site. I'm especially interested in state finals pictures.

I can't pay you, But it will be some earned recognition for all those who worked hard enough to land a shot at a title. And of course I will credit you as the photographer.

If anyone is interested you can email them to webmaster@zengrappling.com

jpg format is preferred, but if for some reason you have them in another format, I can format them. mmmmmmkay.

Good Luck to Everybody involved.

February 24, 2004
comments: Complete AAA and AA/A rankings available now at ZenGrappling.com

Link: http://zengrappling.com/topwv.html

Superman

February 24, 2004
comments: Goodrich wont make it to see Smith. He'll probley get beat by Railing in the Semi's. If he did make it to the finals i see Smith majoring him or pinning him.

February 24, 2004
comments: Are there any good 8th graders coming up to the high school level at NORTH, EAST, & WEST next year?

Good luck at states!

February 24, 2004
comments: One interesting class that hasn't been mentioned on the forum yet is the A/AA 171 class. My thoughts, after looking at the latest individual rankings and peoples' predictions, are that somebody must be completely forgetting about Carr from Point. I'd pick him as one of the favorites to come out of the bottom bracket, and the bottom is loaded (Don't take my word for it-just look for yourself). Along with Carr, I think Adkins from Clay is very capable of winning his first match or more. As for the upper bracket, a lot of people would put Tracewell from Williamstown in the finals, but Burgess from Roane has wrestled him very closely a couple times and this could be his weekend to get it done. Of course, there are other scenarios that could happen. I just think that some of these Region IV guys will factor into things heavily. In my opinion, this class is one of those that is tough enough that it should be looked at closely for M.O.W. voting.

February 24, 2004
comments: I wanted to wish GoodLuck to all of the participants in the WV and the Ohio state competitions this weekend. Everyone of these boys has worked very hard to be in this position at this time.... and I am very proud to say that I know a few of them.

This weekend will provide them with memories that will last their entire lives... as "fans", let's wish them all the best and a safe and injury free event!!

To that very special senior... I Hope Jael can enjoy watching you and not cry the whole time like she did at OVAC's... hahaha... and we want you to know that we have ALWAYS been especially proud of you... your character, discipline, respect and fair treatment of everyone... makes you a CHAMPION every day.. in everything you do...!!! WE LOVE YOU!!

February 24, 2004
comments: To LLoyd,
I am afraid that I am going to have to agree with the previous post. Your act is getting a little od. Mr. "I only lost once to a region 1 wrestler in my life". Stop making predictions based solely on the records.

February 24, 2004
comments: I just wanted to know how Tominack went from 1st to 3rd.I've wrestled and seen him wrestle.He will be on top of the podium staurday night.
February 24, 2004
comments: i didn't know there was an issue with the "school of champions" nickname. they have the most championships combined, so the name fits....deal with it.

February 24, 2004
comments: congrats. to the webster county wrestling team. taking 5 to the states and is looking forward to a great show. Young 140 hoping to add a couple more victories this year and Harris also looking to add a couple more. Just one thing that makes me think why isn't young ranked. He has proved that he could wrestle with the best and so has harris. I think you all need to be watching out for young(140) and harris(215) at the states maybe not for first but for 4th or 3rd. Also watch out for Tommy Young(112) next year he might not do very good this year but wait till next year. And blind(103) don't count him out he will give quite a show. Also great season to all the other wrestlers. Good luck next year. Its been a great season

February 24, 2004
comments: ijut wanted to say good luck to all thewrestlers from the ville. gummi, work on ur ballance n upperbody throws. troy i want u to wrsetle cory when u have a ref that can see. jard, keep wrestlen like u have been. young, stop useing my move, well no dont but keep ueing it right. brad, TRY to wrestle smart. gwim, go gt em elmer. will ad joey represent for the h-ville.

February 24, 2004
comments: What is sportmanship??? This question is on everyones mind right now. Is it good sportsman ship to hold up signs that are negative to wrestling coaches. Is it good sportsmanship to make T-Shirts that run down oposing teams???? Is it good sportsmanship to cheer against a wrestler from your own town when he has lost a big battle??? No rules were broken on Saturday and everyone needs to get over it!!!!! Each of these teams need to look at the talent they have and the kids on their teams who are all great kids!!!! If adults and parents whould stay out of the battle the teams could get along fine. If we let a 5th place wrestler wrestle in the state tournament than every child in every region who placed 5th should get that opportunity???

February 24, 2004
comments: All-Session tickets for the 2004 NCAA Wrestling Championships are on sale in the OU Athletic Ticket Office. The NCAA Championships will be held at the Savvis Center in St. Louis, Mo., on March 18-20.

There will be two sessions per day and individual tickets are $110 which includes all sessions throughout the tournament.

To purchase tickets call the ticket office at 800-456-4668 or 405-325-2424 or you can purchase them online at www.soonersports.com.

February 24, 2004
comments: Semifinals and Finals Predictions
103-Green def. Haislip and Knapton def. Gustines
Green def Knapton

112-Easter def. Rush and Greynolds def. Townsend
Easter def. Greynolds

119-Turnbull def. Hays and McCray def. Humphreys
Turnbull def. McCray

125-Shyver def. Kelley and McFarland def. Garvin
Shyver def. McFarland

130-Durbin def. Miles and Rader def. Lodge
Rader def. Durbin

135-Gustines def. Shaw and Porter def. Gerasimovich
Gustines def. Porter

140-S.Smith def. Dunlap and M.Smith def. Bailey
M.Smith def. S.Smith

145-Litton def. Nelson and Richey def. Osuna-Cotto
Litton def. Richey

152-Thomas def. Adkins and Smith def. Campbell
Smith def. Thomas

160-Norman def. Runyon and Davis def. Shaffer
Norman def. Davis

171-Walters def. Cremeans and Ray def. Loughran
Walters def. Ray

189-Lindamood def. Radcliff and Tominack def. Ewing
Tominack def. Lindamood

215-Thomas def. Mauck and Hutchinson def. Davis
Thomas def. Hutchinson

275-Dearman def. Cook and Valentine def. Rowsey
Dearman def. Valentine

February 24, 2004
comments: Those polls are a joke.

February 24, 2004
comments: Yes I said Mahan's superior strength will be too much for Ashley. I meant what I said, I'm not from, nor do I even like Oak Glen, but its impossible to deny that Mahan is perhaps the strongest 130 I've seen this year. I witnessed Ashley's defeat at the hands of Lodge, and I've seen Mahan's defeat at the hands of Clay Tucker (an amazing wrestler from Martins Ferry, OH who could possibly be the champion in Ohio this year). I've seen both wrestlers at their best and worst, and that said, Mahan will defeat Ashley.

February 24, 2004
comments: To: scratching my head?????

You say Merico only lost to 3 WV wrestlers??? (Connor-Mart. ; Stevens-OG ; Hughes-Cam.) You must have not seen the results of the OVAC Tournament becuase he lost to Dusty Hill of Wheeling Park. And on December the 29th he lost to Watson of North Marion. So he has lost to 5 WV wrestlers. Stevens has beat him twice so he has 6 in state loses for sure. Just wanted to set the record strait. Good luck to all wrestlers at states. (win ya a title Casey I'm cheering for ya.)

February 24, 2004
comments: Shane Smith is dominant.....has anyone gotten a takedown on him this year? Codi Norman, the favorite for AAA couldnt even take him down. Look for Smith atop the podium saturday night.

February 24, 2004
comments: Good luck to the woodrow boys this weekend at states! I know you guys can do it!
Sean Meade-C'mon! You got this, you got this! haha
Zack Evans-Well yea good luck to you too!! haha. nahh, i hope you win, its your last chance to shine!
Joe "Buzzsaw" McQuillen-Its your last year too. c'mon mo-jojojo!
TyLeR WiLsOn-C'mon bro! Can't be slackin! haha! i love ya ty & I'll always be there to cheer you on! Good Luck!
Jay Thomas-Your pretty much like my brother! I wanna see you win this thing! Good Luck!

Sometimes I don't know about you 5 but I hope you do your best and keep this in mind
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil.4:13

February 24, 2004
comments: What was the score between Efaw "GRAFTON"and Bosley "FRANKF."before Efaw pinned him? What was the score between Miller "OG"and Cumpston "CAM"?

February 24, 2004
comments: 145 lb final
9-3 before the fall.

February 24, 2004
comments: if the 3rd place wrestler in a region gets hurt and cant make the trip to states would the 4th place person slide up into his spot, or would the 5th place person act as a replacement?

February 24, 2004
comments: We will see who wins, just make sure you check the forum after states to see my comments.

February 24, 2004
email: To: McCoy
comments: Come on bud....Like Joey said, crazy things happen. I made it to the finals and you hung in there with me in practices. Pull it all together this year and get it done on saturday. Good Luck
JM

February 24, 2004
comments: PARKERSBURG HIGH HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SCHOOL OF CHAMPIONS SINCE DAY 1 OF EXISTENCE, WERE CHAMPIONS IN EVERYTHING WE DO, NOT JUST SPORTS. DONT CRITICIZE PHS. ITS NOT ALL ABOUT SPORTS YOU KNOW.

February 24, 2004
comments: Shakespeare said:
"But if it be a sin to covet honour, I am the most offending soul alive."

Once more into the breach men. The mat is your battleground, and the spoils of war are fleeting but profound with your hand in the air.

Be men of honor,strength and courage. Go Grizzlies!

February 24, 2004
comments: On comment made about South fans only cheering for South. Let me be the first to say they support Williamstown High School wrestlers very well. I know from my wrestling days at state when we warmed up and ran around the gym SOUTH fans were always cheering for us as we went by.

February 24, 2004
comments: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CHARLIE MCCLOUD(HWT)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DONALD HOWELL(152)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
             ON MAKING STATES FOR ELKINS 
February 24, 2004
comments: I just looked at the AA/A polls and I notced that Merico was not on there. Merico Doesn't have the greatest record but he has only lost to three kids from West Virginia (Coner,Stevens,& Hughes) all of his other loses are to Ohio kids and one from pennsylvania.. He is not a wrestler that should be taken lightly. Definetly watch out for him because I think he will pull of a couple upsets this weekend.

February 24, 2004
comments: Lloyd Christmas. I don't know who you are, but you have to be one of the biggest idiots i have ever listened to. Your imput on the 119 weight class makes you look stupid. Just shut up and let the boys wrestle. If humphrey beats mccray then he beats him. if mccray upsets him, then he upsets him. these boys work hard all year long and they don't need to hear you run your mouth over something that you have no control over. so just let it go.

February 24, 2004
comments: to dg; i'll put money on mahan

February 24, 2004
comments: I'm looking forward to seeing Shane Smith and Paul Goodrich wrestle for the third time this year.In their first meeting Goodrich was pinned, and in the second Goodrich did much better even though he took the 11-5 loss. I believe it's going to be a huge upset..Oh and Shane..3rd times a charm. Good luck to the both of you.

February 24, 2004
comments: "Mahan's superior strength" WHAT? How could you think this? Your talking about a 15 or 16 yr. old sophomore[Mahan] and an 18 yr. old senior.[Ashley]and they both weigh 130,how much stronger could he be, I don't think you realize how much of a MANIMAL[man-animal]Ashley is.We shall see come the end of the week.

February 24, 2004
comments: Well... Neal vs. Valles will be a war.. I'd like to see Valles make teh finals his senior year, but Neal has been defeating the big competition all year, I like him in this one. Also the Mahan vs Ashley match will be a war... and as much as i'd like to see Oak Glen lose a lot a be dethroned, I don't see it happening this year, or at this weight... but it's hard to pick against results... we'll see!

February 24, 2004
comments: I would like to thank the E. Fairmont coaching staff for the long hours spent with our team. They have helped our sons become better athletes. It's been a rocky year, and I appreciate the time they have spent with our boys, and hope that they know the time they've spent away from their own families is greatly appreciated. Somtimes, I think we as parents forget that the coaches give up their family time so they can spend it helping(our)children. Thanks again, John, Adam, and Joey. Wrestling Mom

February 24, 2004
comments: Who exactly named parkersburg high school the "School of champions" I was just wondering because as far as I know there are many schools in the state and I think it is arrogant to name yourselves that. What makes you better than anyone else? a wrestling team that has won a couple times? A football team that has won a couple times? I am not sure exactly all the state championships you have had, but I know in the last couple years Parkersburg South has had wreslting, football, and basketball and you don't see them naming their school or answering their phones that way...being someone that is from neither of the schools or anywhere close to Parkersburg I just thought I would address the issue. Please let me know where this title came from...

February 24, 2004
comments: I can't wait till miller and moffatt go at it in the 112 semis so miller can beat moffatt and show u all that u where wrong.....
also did you guys forget that townsend beat moffatt 10-6 and miller pinned townsend.....

February 24, 2004
comments: Does any one know why Dane Henry From Martinsburg dropped out of competition? Just wondering because he allowed another east sider to move up!!!

February 24, 2004
comments: does anyone know the price to get into states this weekend
Editor's note: Check this website.

February 24, 2004
comments: TO: THE SAIYAN PRINCE: You said "As for Ashley...you haven't seen Mahan wrestle this year, have you? It will be good, but Ashley is no match for Mahan's superior strength." You got a couple of quid you'd like to put down on that? And how are you sure Mahan has superior strength? Have you seen Ashley wrestle this year?

February 24, 2004
comments: Why does it matter who a fan cheers for as long as they are not booing a wrestler. The fan may not be from that school but that is not to say they don't know the wrestler or feel they are a good wrestler and are glad they won. How is cheering for a wrestler showing poor sportsmanship, unless of course it is against your wrestler. In order to win a team championship it is better for some wrestlers to win against other wrestlers. We wouldn't keep score and nobody would win if it didn't matter. So stop being so thin skinned and just cheer for a wrestler.

February 24, 2004
comments: I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to all the SOUTH WRESTLERS, you all are the BEST in the state hands down, you have the STRENGTH and the TALENT and most of all the CLASS it takes to make WORTHY State Champs- not many can say that, at least not this year! Dont let recent wrongs that were done to South at the regionals get you down, anyone that knows anything about wrestling knows what was done to you and knows that sometimes the true champs aren't the ones who win. Now that the regionals are over..... its time to show all of WV what a TRUE BLUE CHAMPIONSHIP team looks and acts like. Go SOUTH ..... all you boys (including the ones that didnt get to go to the State) are upstanding wrestlers and we are proud to have boys like you on South's Wrestling team, you've worked hard and it will pay off in the end, just wait and see. To the South Coaches, thank you for another Great year and for fighting for what is RIGHT! We all think the world of you and are thankful that we ha ve coaches like you coaching our kids. To all you Rowdy South Fans.... your the BEST fans in the state... now lets show 'em what true fans are suppost to sound like! See ya at State!

February 24, 2004
comments: The Polls this time are a JOKE. You can clearly see the coaches give no RESPECT to any wrestler from the southern part of the state in AAA. A wrestler who won the 2 biggest tournaments in WV now is in third place and only has 1 loss on his record and a wrestler who placed 8th at the OVAC's is now in 1st just because he beat a Parkersburg South wrestler at the regionals. GO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.

February 24, 2004
comments: What is the wvssac website. Thanks
http://www.wvssac.org

February 24, 2004
comments: To all of you people who are getting on to fans for cheering for or against athletes or teams, get real. Why do fans go to sporting events, to cheer on there home team or to boo the opposing team. Can you say that you have never booed or ccheered for another team or athlete that was beating your rival or getting throttled by your favorite team, if so you are a lier. We all do it with NFL, NBA, MLB, college sports, March madnessand HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS! I agree that sometimes it can get out of control but it is usually by a very small percentage. We all have good fans and bad fans, but we are all guilty of it at some time or another. That is the nature of the competitive beast!

February 24, 2004
comments: Congradulations to all the NCHS wrestlers qualifying for states.Go Cookie.

February 24, 2004
comments: First of all, I want to make sure that all the Parkersburg South wrestlers know that no matter what happens tomorrow every South fan and many of the other wrestling fans around the state realize the hard work and dedication that you show every year. Wrestle the best that you possibly can, and give 100% and we will all be as proud as we possibly can be no matter what the outcome is. We know you have class and we know you work hard and that is #1 in my mind! Don't let the events from the last week get you down....let's just show everyone who is the best, even though they already know. There would be no reason for everything that has happened if they didn't think we weren't competition and the best!

And to address the cheering against PHS when their wrestlers lose...I was a matmaid at south for three years and been going to south matches, regionals, states, etc for years before and after that. PHS always cheered against our wrestlers. I am sorry if we might have decided to return the favor after being treated unfairly. "I wouldn't look at it as cheering against South but as cheering on the other wrestler that wins." Thats what I was told once from a parent of a Parkersburg High wrestler. I am sorry if it upsets you, but I feel that the precedent was set long ago....

February 24, 2004
February 24, 2004
comments: Hey all this is a good old fan i want to wish all the wrestlers from jefferson goood luck.Colton good luck you can do it just go all out.chapy you just do what you do.zane kick A** like always.smith cut your hair.codie shut them all up .corie dont hold back.payne you can do it.show hedgesville you are better .

February 24, 2004
comments: to my buddy and pet groomin companero harry dunn:
for the most part, i think the saiyan prince is right. you only get to see the region 1 kids one time a year and apparently your memory may be shorting out a bit. ashley will get 3rd at 130. yes the kid is a 2 timer, but he hasn't wrestled mahan and mahan dominated cronin in regionals pinning him in under a minute. i believe cronin has taken ashley to overtime however. 189... your champ will be from region 3 or it will be foltz. 119, ok i disagree with the prince here.. i think neal will be higher than 4th, but it'll take all he has to beat valles in the semis. at 112.. well i guess we'll see about godfrey and hanson b/c the winner of their match in the quarters will definitely place and well... the loser has a tougher road to hoe.

February 24, 2004
comments: can someone, well anyone, please tell me why Jeremy Hayhurst from richwood is ranked 7th at 130 AA and Danny Leach from Grafton isn't even on there when Leach beat Hayhurst at the Big 16 tournament???

February 24, 2004
email: To: Jacob McCoy
comments: Jacob you've done great this year now let's keep it going. Just remember, don't overlook anyone you wrestle this weekend, CRAZY stuff happens at states every year. Just wrestle hard and i know i'll be watching you not only wrestle, but also win, in the finals on Saturday day night. You're my boy Jacob...i never got to be a state champ so now you hafta do it for me! lol. Turn it on this week at practice and lets see it this weekend buddy!
Joplin

February 24, 2004
comments: Who ever put the opinion on the board about Defaults was someone with a lot of knowledge. I saw the samr situation 3-4 weeks ago at a youth Tournment, where the same thing happened for safty of a kid. Coaches know the rules and when you draw the line between Team wrestling and individual wrestling. The only thing I will say is you won't see it Thurs. Fri and Sat.

February 24, 2004
comments: read the post again,there are more than two teams from region 1,if you add turnbull,green,shaw,adkins,to mix thats 10 or 11,i wonder how much of the rest of the post you thought about before you wrote back....there has always been a strong rivalry in the stands between phs and south,that is the nature of the sport...but over the years the rivalry has been handled well by both sides.both schools have handled winning and losing in very classy manners,however this year if things continue in this fashion,where is this sport heading?ITS ABOUT THE YOUNG MEN ON THE MAT....i feel to many people in the stands are only about winning,not about a sport that builds character and molds the futures of these young athletes.To the young man from south that missed out on a trip to the st tmt,you have many bright days ahead of you,the way you handled the situation last saturday showed much character! ,your day will come..again good luck to all wrestlers,if you give it all you have you are a winner!

February 24, 2004
comments: To Yucaton Man:
Guess again!
AA/A 119 state semis--JUDD BILLINGS (RAVENSWOOD) vs. Snoberger (Frankfort) AND Valles (WM) vs. Neal (SS)

February 24, 2004
comments: I would like to say good luck to PHS and Williamstown, Shane...get your 3rd title....Allen, You've been patently waiting for yours and it will come this weekend. Elder, I know you can do it to. PHS, keep your composure, the regional was nothin. Go out there and wrestle like champions. PHS is the school of champions. Lets have no injuries nor emotions get out of control. See ya thursday.

February 24, 2004
comments: "Wirt County High School will be having an all girl wrestling tournament March 20,2004. This will be a folkstyle tournament, it will be for ages 5 through high school. For more information and entry forms go to www.usgwa.com or you may contact me."

Can my son compete? If not, why not? Come on, Doc, be daring and post it!

Editor's note: OK, here it is. What this sport needs now is more controversy.... (smile)

February 24, 2004
email: comments: Bonecutter had three takedowns before he pinned cavender....in the regional championship

February 24, 2004
comments: I am so glad my son is a Senior this year! He will go on with his life and wrestling will only be a memory. The memories he takes with him are mostly good but some are not so good. I can only hope he will look at the not so good things and know that's not what to do in his life. Good luck to all teams this year at State.

February 24, 2004
comments: JUST WANT TO WISH THE GUSTINE BROTHERS GOOD LUCK AT STATES. COLTEN OPEN UP AND WRESTLE LIKE I KNOW YOU CAN. STOP HESITATING JUST WRESTLE. CORIE STAY SMART ON THE MAT. WRESTLE HARD. CODIE LETS SHUT EVERYBODY UP. LET EVERYBODY SEE WHO THE BEST IN THE STATE REALLY IS!!!!JUST WRESTLE AND NO ONE CAN TOUCH YOU.GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE JEFFERSON WRESTLERS. STAY FOCUSED YUR THERE TO WRESTLE NOT PLAY AROUND

February 24, 2004
comments: Actually, I have Neal 3rd, and I say he loses to Valles. I have seen both wrestle and I think Valles hears the clock ticking on his senior year is victorious. As for Ashley...you haven't seen Mahan wrestle this year, have you? It will be good, but Ashley is no match for Mahan's superior strength.

February 24, 2004
comments: Did the ranking folks happen to see the score of AA Reg II 140 Flynt dec Dye 13-2. Thanks for the motivation

Editor's note: See below...

February 24, 2004
comments: Sad to see that there are so many "finals" being held in the semi-finals. There has to be a better way. Head to heads and records would have prevented these situations! The fans deserve to see the best matches in the finals, and the wrstlers that have worked so hard all year deserve to be seeded properly to have their shot at the finals!

February 24, 2004
comments: How are you guys going to rank moore from east fairmont higher than jay thomas of woodrow wilson? Thomas has beaten him 2 out of 3 times with a combined score of 21-8 AND an injury default. not to mention cory adkins, who thomas majored the only time they have wrestled. i cant wait until saturday when everone will see who #1 is at 152. you'll see

February 24, 2004
comments: I would like to know how Miller drops below cumpston in the rankings. Miller pinned cumpston.

Editor's note: Good question. At AA/A 112, the coaches like Moffatt of Winfield. One might consider ranking it Moffatt-Miller-Cumpston, but Moffatt and Miller as 1 and 2 won't happen because of the way the brackets are drawn - if Moffatt defeat Miller, it will be in the semis, which will mean Miller can place no higher than third. . The coaches see Moffatt in the finals from the top of the bracket, and Cumpston in the finals from the bottom of the bracket, which leaves Miller at 3rd.

There were several adjustments made in the final polls to reflect that it will be impossible for some wrestlers finishing at 1 and 2. On the AAA side, East Fairmont was the beneficiary of multiple bracket conundrums. At AAA 103, Knapton moved ahead of Haislip even though Haislip defeated Knapton at regionals. Why? Because the coaches see Green at #1, and if that is the case, Haislip cannot finish at #2. Is this the right way to do it? Who knows. All I can say, that is the way that coaches choose to look at it, and I presume that if they want to do things differently next year, they will discuss it at their meeting this week.

February 24, 2004
comments: To the South boys and Coaches, Go out thursday and show that you can compete at the highest level. Continue to show your sportsmanship and allow the wrestling to speak for it's self. All you have to do is wrestle hard and the end results will show who is the best in WV. Keep your heads high and remeber the that you are the class act of WV. Captians it is time to show why you are captains and get the rest of the boys to follow you to the top!!!!!!

February 24, 2004
comments: Congradulation to all state qualifiers from Calhoun. YOU guys are very impressive. I heard many people talking at the regionals about how well coached the team was, but being a previous grapler I think coaching covers about 50%, if that! The rest comes from the heart and mind of the wrestler, the determination to be a champion has to come from the heart, which I believe every Calhoun wrester has alot of-HEART AND DETERMINATION. The drive factor comes from the coaches cracking the whip at practice getting the boys to use their heart and determination, not to say Stump isnt a good drive factor, but where would the Calhoun record be without the heart and determination of the wrestlers? Last but not least-the parents. To all you Devil parents a big ol applause. If the parents dont have heart and determination where would the boys learn it from? I have one more thing to say-YOU GOT TO LOVE IT!

February 24, 2004
comments: I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be glad when this year is finally over. It's too bad that we have to hear so much negativity over one event.. The WVSSAC has spoken and it's time to just get on with the State Meet. Let all parents and fans set the example for all the young men and women that will be competing on the mat. Remember that "This too shall pass" and those who have done wrong will have to live with that. Let's have a good STATE MEET for all involved especially the wrestlers because they've all worked so hard.

February 24, 2004
comments: I want to comment that the Little Kanawha Conference is very well-represented at the A-AA state tournament this year. I'm sure other conferences did well, too. 25% of all state qualifiers are in the LKC, and nearly 1/3 of all region champions are in the LKC. Good job to a fine conference of schools. Please, unless you are exclusively a AA WV conference, don't even come back with a response to this. I'm not trying to start that up again- just want to commend the LKC.

February 24, 2004
Comments: "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." I am urging my fellow South fans to take the high road this weekend. Our coaches are a class act. Our wrestlers are a class act. Now we as fans have the opportunity to show true class. Sure, we (notice I say WE) feel that we've suffered a grave injustice, but we must accept the decision of the WVSSAC and move on. Some kids from our school as well as other schools will be wrestling in their first state tournament, some in their last. Please let's make it a good memory, not a bad one.

Too often adults spoil the whole purpose of youth sports, and I'm afraid it's happening this year. I saw on an earlier post where someone implied that this could have happened in an A/AA regional tournament. Let's hope an ugly precedent has not been set.

You don't have to applaud a wrestler or coach you don't like ? it's a free country. But show some class and respect and simply remain silent if that person receives an award. And that goes for some of you fans from other schools too. I saw fans from another school (and it wasn't PHS) stand up and cheer at this weekend's regional when a South wrestler lost to someone who was from another school that wasn't even in their county. Good luck to all wrestlers, but especially Coach McCartney and our boys from South.

February 24, 2004
comments: Good Luck Wirt Wrestlers at High School States. We are proud of you.............

February 24, 2004
comments: Good luck to the Eastern Panhandler wrestlers at states. Not enough said about you guys and this is your chance to show what you have. Never let the other fellow set the agenda (James Baker)

February 24, 2004
comments: Just wanted to thank the people who put on the 1st annual Keyser youth wrestling tournament. The organization did a really decent job of keeping things running smoothly. The trophy's were fantastic and some of the best I've seen and I have been to a lot of youth tournaments. The focus was on the kids for once. I know my family will be back next year.

February 24, 2004
comments: TO THE RETIRED REF COMMENTS ABOUT SOUTH HAS ONLY CHEER A COUPLE OF MATCHES WHEN A PHS WRETLER LOST A MATCH THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. GIVE ME A BREAK . YOU MUST JUST RETIRED THIS PAST YEAR AND YOU MUST HAVE BEEN REF AT OTHER TOURNAMENTS WHEN THE REG. AND THE STATE HAS BEEN GOING ON . LAST THREE YEARS I HAVE ATTEND THE REGIONALS AND THE STATE AND SOUTH ARE THE LOUDEST CHEERING SECTION WHEN THE SOUTH WRESLERS WIN AND WHEN A PHS LOSES A MATCH . NOW THEY ARE WHINNING ABOUT THE 130 LBS. CLASS THEY ( SOUTH ) SHOULD TAKE A HARD LOOK IN THE MIRROR BECAUSE THEY SHOW NO SPORTSMANSHIP WHEN A PHS WRESTLER TAKE THE MAT . THEY SHOULLD BE CHERRING ON EVERY KID FROM WOOD COUNTY BUT THEY DONT ALSO YOUR TOTALY OFF WITH THE STATE CHAMPS COUNT.( PHS ) 5 ( SOUTH ) 2 TOTAL OF 7 NOT 10 OR 11.

February 24, 2004
comments: JUST WANTED TO SAY GOOD LUCK TO MIKE HAMBRICK, COLIN BENNETT AND BRAD BURNS AT STATES. WRESTLE HARD AND KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. ALSO JAY THOMAS FROM BECKLEY BEST OF LUCK AND I HOPE YOU CAN BE AT THE TOP OF THE PODIUM ON SATURDAY. GOOD LUCK GUYS!

February 24, 2004
comments: I posted yesterday under the title of curious and proposed 2 situations to support or defend. I was glad that I managed to state things in a manner that it was allowed to be viewed. However, I am shocked that there have apparently been no takers in discussing this in a fashion that can be posted. I wonder if either of two things are occuring? Are all posts relating to my comments being deleted and mine only posted to give people something to think about but not to comment about? Or are all the posts supporting option #1 so emotionally charged that they are eliminated. And there is nobody actually willing to try and make us believe they support option #2.
Editor's note: Honestly, I haven't received any replies to your post.

February 24, 2004
comments: To: "van form north"
Your post contained 20 words and you misspelled 7 of them. Since you don't know how to spell Brooke, I assume you are from (name of school deleted out of courtesy). That's scary since my kids go there. I'm not sure I understood the meaning of your post unless some of the words I took for granted that you had spelled "write" were "knot". Also, are you really a van or were you trying to spell automobile?

February 24, 2004
comments: Dorton will have his hands full with Cook from HHS in the first round but I think he will beat him.

February 24, 2004
comments: Congrats to all the guys from Point Pleasant on their great finish this weekend. I can't wait to wrestle with you guys next year. The only reason you did so well was because you practiced with me though!! (Ha,Ha)

February 24, 2004
comments: I believe that Merico will do well this weekend. From what I hear, he is ready to show up and wrestle. This is his senior year, so I hope he can turn it on and end up in the finals!! I've watched him wrestle since he started and this wouldn't be the first time he brought home a state championship!! Best of luck Merico!!!

February 24, 2004
comments: My predictions for AAA state champions:
103-Green, WP(best in the class)
112-Easter, NHS(just look at the name)
119-Turnbull, UNI(c'mon, its TURNBULL!)
125-Shyver, PHS(majored Garvin, need i say more)
130-Rader, PHS(one word, RADER!)
135-Shaw, BHS(just like the kid's style)
140-M.Smith, RIP(best in the country)
145-Litton, PHS(nobody is even close)
152-Thomas, WW(Takes everybody down)
160-Norman, PS(great sophomore)
171-Walters, PS(pins everybody)
189-Lindamood, PHS(Mr. Aggressive)
215-Thomas, PHS(BIG LOUUUUUUUUUUUU!)
275-Dearman, PHS(unstoppable)

February 24, 2004
comments: Subject: Byes at State Tournament
Rather than have byes at the State Tournament due to lack of entries or disqualifications at one or more Regionals, why not fill these slots with the 5th place finishers from other regions (on some basis which spreads these opportunities fairly among regions).

February 24, 2004
comments: For the region 1 AAA controversy......on themat.com there is a post about it. its in the high school part the title of the thread is...ironman/beast runner up defaults at regionals. ...check it out.

February 24, 2004
comments: Does anyone know the score of the Bonecutter & Cavender match at regionals?

February 24, 2004
email: debbie_dye3@yahoo.com
comments: Wirt County High School will be having an all girl wrestling tournament March 20,2004. This will be a folkstyle tournament, it will be for ages 5 through high school. For more information and entry forms go to www.usgwa.com or you may contact me.

February 24, 2004
comments: Is it against the rules for two teams to practice together before a regional, for instance practice after school together, it would seem that his would be highly illigal? If so would these players bee ruled ineligible for rules fractions or would the coach be held responsible for clearly violating rules? Ihope for the kids sake these two schools these are not a probelm/ It would seem this would be like extra matches?

February 24, 2004
comments: I am normaly a quite person but I have been reading this forum alot. I see that some of you have managed to over look that Hedgesville has many wrestlers who are capable of placing very high in the state tournament. Here are some to look for Shetler 112, Grim 125, Foltz 152, Sella 160, Ammons 171, Young 189,and Nicholson 215. All are contenders for the top four places at states.

February 24, 2004
comments: mccray hasn't beat humphrey yet, however, i have no doubt we'll get to see that one.

February 24, 2004
comments: Good Luck to Coach Alan Davis and the Ritchie Co. HS wrestling team at the State Wrestling Tournament... Chuck Richards (103), Jeremy Wince (152), Travis Boone (215), and Brad Swiger (275)... wrestle hard guys!

Every school has those special parents who invest hours and hours of time to the wrestling program... for you I say THANKS! (Wrestlers, before action begins on Thursday night, dont forget to find your family, friends, and supporters and let them know how much you appreciate them.)

In Ritchie County, the Boones(John and Jackie) and the Winces (Bill and Connie) have demonstrated their long term support and leadership to wrestling! You have been great examples of the dedication and commitmentment necessary for the success of not only your own children but ALL OTHERS WRESTLERS involved. As a former wrestler, I thank you!

to the coaches and wrestlers... compete with integrity

February 24, 2004
comments: AA/A Semi's predictions

Brandon Davis, Oak Glen, vs. A.J. Blankenship, Berkeley Springs
Robert Rash, Independence vs. Scotty Boggs , Roane County,

Brandon Miller, Oak Glen, vs. James Moffatt, Winfield
Tim Cumpston, Cameron vs. Wesley Hanson, Herbert Hoover

Anthony Valles, Madonna vs. Josh Neal, Shady Spring
Noah O'Neil, Cameron vs. Shaun Snoberger , Frankfort

Colby Painter, Greenbrier West vs. Andy Leithead, Sissonville
Derek Scarbro, Shady Spring vs. Kelly Hughes, Cameron

James Adams, Braxton County vs. Justin Ashley, Calhoun
Cory Cronin, St Marys vs. Anthony Harvey , Shady Spring

Brennon Chambers, Oak Glen vs. Daniel Allen, Wirt County
Dustin Bartrug, St Marys vs. Jeremy McCarty , Lewis County

Jeff Cumpston, Cameron vs. Jordon Flynt, Braxton County
Anthony DiMarco, Williamstown vs. Matt Dye, Wirt County

Casey Hughes, Cameron vs. David Bonecutter, Point Pleasant
Ryan Elder, Williamstown vs. Chuck Meadows , Shady Spring

Rhett Northcraft, Oak Glen vs. Devon Bosley, Frankfort
Eric Metz, Calhoun vs. Junior Yost, Tyler Consolidated

Shane Smith, Williamstown vs. Matt Mason, Berkeley Springs
Garrett Railing, Oak Glen vs. Paul Goodrich , Calhoun

Alan Tracewell, Williamstown vs. Corey Burgess, Roane County
Isaac Stewart, Cameron vs. Joey Atkins, Clay County

David Foltz, Oak Glen vs. Mark Smith, Greenbrier West
Jacob McCoy, Herbert Hoover vs. Robert Ward, Independence

Cody Potts, Oak Glen vs. Daniel Tench, Point Pleasant
Michael Cline, Westside vs. Sam Craddock , Roane County

Andrew Fegal, Weir vs. Matt Wiseman, Oak Glen
A.J. Freda, Lewis County vs. C.J. Manning, Cameron

This is just what I think after a look at the brakets but we all know UPSETS happen. To the top seeds: "Do not OVERLOOK some one." "Come to wrestle every match." Good Luck to all.

February 24, 2004
comments: Just a short plug (shameless) for the software that is used for the WSAZ, Tri-State Middle School Championships, etc. I shall not name the company nor the software. As a coach, I find it worth it's weight in gold to be able to get complete results match by match for each of my kids. Makes keeping stats a piece of cake. Also, it would make running a Youth Tournament and posting the results much easier. I know that there were several other software programs out there in the past that really screwed up some events. But I have had my team at numerous events using this one and all seems to go smooth as silk. Doc, if this is off base just delete this part of the post. I was making my teams "Mat Memories" books that they et at the end of the year and was impressed with how much information there was and in how many forms you can print it out. When I read the posts about missing tournament results, it struck me that the results could be easily uploaded this way. Oh and by the way, thanks to the poster that explained the HHS and Midland scoring. It's hard to understand sometimes that you get you big points by getting to the finals - as opposed to winning them and by placing third. One additonal point - in order to place third you sometimes have more matches through the wrestle back and thus more opportunities to pick up pin points, etc.

Hope everyone has a good time and keeps it all in perspective this weekend in Huntington! JL/MMS
Editor's note: Disagree with you a bit here, Jim, on trying to run a youth tournament on a computer. Youth tournaments, considering the age groups and weights, have 50 to 60 brackets to keep up with. No matter how well the brackets are drawn before the tournament, it all goes out the window at the scratch meeting. There is no way you could re-do all those brackets after the scratch meeting on a single computer and get the matches going in the same day. Matches are 3 one minute rounds, and it's impossible to keep up with. I have been out of the youth loop for a few years, but I cannot imagine running a youth tournament on computer. I have heard horror stories from people who tried. For youth, better to have five or six expert bracketeers divide the tourney up and do it on paper. Perhaps you could do a youth tournament if you had a separate computer and scorer for each age group or some such. Has anyone had any success running a youth tournament on computer??

February 24, 2004
comments: Mccoy from herbert hoover is on a role. i would not count him out of the finals. He has beat Ward from Indepence. They always have good matches. I think anyone that has watched Mccoy wrestle knows that he is capable of taking it all. He is aggressive, quick, and wrestles smart. Good luck Jake. UR BRO

February 24, 2004
Congrats to all calhoun state qualifiers and good job to the boys whom didnt.Great effort from entire team.

February 24, 2004
comments: whoever does this whole wvmat.com thing i wanna thank yall this is tight right here i come home everyday from practice and see if its updated and read tha forum,so next yr is my senior year and i looked forward to readin all this so keep up tha good work look out fo me next yr

February 24, 2004
comments: why wont you post my message???

February 24, 2004
comments: TO: The Saiyan Prince ; you say you have the most accurate predictions... hahaha thats really funny man you were way off in some places ... you have Josh Neal (SS) getting fourth at 119 are you kidding me there is no-one in that weight class that compares to him.. McCoy (HH) 189 you have him at fourth which he is a good shot a taking the whole thing .. you have Justin Ashley 130 (Calhoun) a 2X defending champ getin 3rd wow thats a good one .... Hanson (HH) 112 not even placing over Godfrey (Log) or Workman (Mt), He's #6 in the state. Buddy I dont know where these "most accurate and complete predictions you will see" come from but i think alot of people will disagree with your so called "predictions"

February 24, 2004
comments: Updated AAA rankings on ZenGrappling.com
Link: http://zengrappling.com/topwv.html
I've got the AA/A pretty much done, should be up tonight or tommorrow morning/evening.

February 24, 2004
comments: i think university high has a good chance of placeing in the top 5 at states with the possibly of 4 state champions with kyle turnball winning back to back state title and erin brewster looking good and henry miller and david campell being a state runner up last year

February 24, 2004
comments: webster county fans; HOW ABOUT THOSE WRESTLER FROM WEBSTER COUNTY . THEY ARE TAKING 5 TO THE STATES. THEY DERSEVER RESPECT TO THEY ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF BOYS GOOD LUCK TO HIGHLANDERS BILDES 103. YOUNG. 112. YOUNG, 140 HARRIS 215 AND TYLER 275

February 24, 2004
comments: I wrestled my whole life, was a state champion, and love this sport more than any other sport around...BY FAR!!! No matter what the outcome of the SSAC is, this is a very dark time for our sport. When the outcome of tournaments and careers are decided by anyone besides the wrestlers themselves and are decided anywhere except a wrestling mat, something isn't right!

February 24, 2004
comments: Good luck Tyson!

February 24, 2004
comments: I would personally like to thank the Roane Co. High School for an outstanding job on the regionals. The support staff, scorers, timers, and administration all did a great job. the administration had a law enforcement officer there for the day, kept the floor clear, had good timers and score keepers at each of the three tables and generally kept the tournament running smoothly so that we the officials could do our jobs. Thanks again GK

February 24, 2004
comments: from the WVSSAC website
Sportsmanship, Ethics & Integrity
--------------------------
§127-4-2 Sportsmanship.
2.1 Member schools are required to conduct all relations with other schools in a spirit of good sportsmanship. Acts which are prima facie evidence of failure to abide by this rule are those which are noted below and others of similar nature which violate the accepted code of good sportsmanship.

2.2 It shall be the responsibility of the home schools to take proper steps and precautions to insure that crowd and spectator control is handled reasonably at all interscholastic athletic contests. In addition to the spectators, attention must be directed to the safety, comfort and security of the coaches, officials, and players. Their seating accommodations should protect them from spectator interference.

2.3 It shall be the responsibility of any team, player, coach, or attendant to remain in or a part of a contest until its normal end as provided by the National Federation Rules of that particular sport. The exception to the above would be provided by the same National Federation Rules of that particular sport. The penalty for a violation by a coach, player, or team attendant will not only involve ejection during that particular contest but shall also involve that player, coach, or team attendant not being a part of that school's team for the next regularly scheduled contest(s) as regulated in rule 127-4-3.8(c). The coach, athlete, or team attendant may practice in the days prior to the contest but may not dress or participate on the day of the contest.

February 24, 2004
comments: I was at the region 1 aaa tmt at morgantown.a well run tmt.also a very nice facility.wrestling was good,except for a few very good wrestlers not haveing there best efforts.turnbull is quite impressive,very strong with the trip series.there will be a very large number of state champions come from this tmt,maybe as many as 10 or 11..as for the south fans cheering aginst big red wrestlers,i think i have only heard that one other time several years ago at st tmt,normally south is quiet or routes for phs.it was a reaction to phs wrestler forfieting out to go to losers bracket.still that is no reason to boo the wrestlers..GOOD LUCK TO ALL WRESTLERS,,,this could be a weekend to remember a life time,you earned it with all your hard work....

February 24, 2004
comments: Gas to the regionals..$20.00
Food ... $25.00
Zac McCray beating Hayes for the second straight time this year,with so many doubters....PRICELESS!

February 24, 2004
comments: Random comments:
Congrats Dragons, Tyler, and St. Marys on good regional finishes. The pill left many a tough road at states, but its fair.

Little Hughes could go top 4 at 125 if he survives first and second rounds. Higher if he stays out of tosses with Biddle.

Older Hughes needs to win the flip or Elder has a good shot at the "upset". Would still like to see Hughes wrestle Metz or Northcraft. He's as good as the kid pushing him. Northcraft physically intimidated Whipkey, wouldn't happen to Hughes. Bad Kharma=No Nirvana.

Would still like to pick Bosley against Northcraft. No intimidation there either. Your practice partner (or lack thereof) determines your conditioning. Frankfort needs to get more kids out. Don't see McKeever catching Manning again, but nice tourney.

Want to thank the Magnolia coaches (Brent,Barry, and Bo Hughes) for their help schooling Cameron wrestlers over the years, the results are a matter of history (Jeff, Ty, Casey, and Kelly Hughes, Tucker Brown, Chad and Jason Snyder, and John Foster, the Crawford brothers, and many more).

More gamesmanship could have occured if other wrestlers would risk a loss to get into wrestle-backs to eliminate qualifiers from strong teams (example, J. Cumpston should have dropped into consols to eliminate OG point scorer). We assume that happened a couple places in AAA. It might take this type of coordinated effort from other schools in same region to unseat "unstoppable" teams championships. No one is going to stop Cumpston (just my not-so-humble opinion). Seeya at states.

February 23, 2004
comments: congratulations to Chris Connor on his victory over Codie Gustines, both of these wrestlers are class acts, Codie handled this defeat with pure class (no pouting or whining or making excuses like a few others that I will not mention). Most of the time you find out more about a person after a lose rather than a victory. I think Codie will look back after capturing his state title this weekend, and say that lose was a positive thing and helped him be even more focused. Good luck to all the Eastern Panhandle wrestlers

February 23, 2004
comments: please dont ever mention me on this forum ever again. thanks

February 23, 2004
comments: i dont believe merico will have any problem with bonecutter in the first round of the 145 AA tournament. merico is much quicker and bonecutter tends to get stuck sometimes like he did against dye in fairmont. bonecutter also had an early loss against page from nitro. good luck merico!!

February 23, 2004
comments: Does a coach have a duty to his team or to the sport of wrestling? Sounds simple enough, but I have darn sure wavered back and forth on it (depending upon the situation). Like most of the people on here, I enjoy high school wrestling. I typically go to Huntington, spend a night or two, and spend money (both in and outside of the sanctioned event). I enjoy the commeraderie that is unique to this great sport. I fear that this year will not be as fun. Regardless of what the WVSSAC decides about the 130lb situation, there is going to be extra & unnecessary tension. It's not going to be as likely to see a guy wearing red and a guy wearing blue, drinking a cold one and walking over together to watch the finals.

February 23, 2004
comments: Are there any AA/A wrestlers going for their 4th state title?
Editor's note: Look at the "Top Wrerstlers" page linked to the front page of this site.

February 23, 2004
comments: dorten form ps was betten 2 times at regionals by staub form park and molnar form brook.

February 23, 2004
comments: Mahan and Harvey in the AA-A 130 finals? I got two words to say about that scenario -- Justin Ashley.

February 23, 2004
comments: TO SOME ANONYMOUS PERSON: You missed the point entirely. I was not talking about Hedgesville one way or another except to point out the original poster used the word "poles" instead of the correct word "polls."

February 23, 2004
comments: Following taken from a PIAA Officials Bulletin:

BULLETIN I I
Dr. John A. Hosage
Statewide Wrestling Rules Interpreter
Dr. Robert A. Lombardi
Associate Executive Director
ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
Bradley R. Cashman
Executive Director
Melissa A. Nash
AWARDING PLACES
INJURY/ILLNESS

Coaches occasionally ask to withdraw a wrestler from a tournament for reasons other than injury or illness that occur during the tournament. The following are the ramifications of that action. The wrestler must forfeit his next match in the tournament. He will get a loss on his record and his opponent will get a win on his record. If the forfeited match is for a place (e.g. 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.), the wrestler who forfeited will be entitled to 2nd, 4th, or 6th, etc. If the loss would put him into a consolation bracket to work his way back into a place, the wrestler could not do that because he is ineligible for further competition. An example of this would be when the loser of the semi-finals could not place lower than 6th through wrestlebacks, even if the wrestler lost all of his wrestleback matches, the wrestler would not get 6th place if they forfeited the semi-final match. It would require additional wrestling to get to 6th place and he is ineligible for additional wrestling.

February 23, 2004
From: Comment on the question regarding region 4 results comments: Just a quick thought on your question. CM had 1 more 4th and 3 more 3rds according to your post. These account for 34 points. The runner-ups were equal but HH had 2 more 1sts prior to the last 3 matches. These total 48 points, making a difference of 14 points(in favor of HH). This difference could have been further reduced if CM had any of its remaining 2 wrestlers score any points on the way to placing either 5th or 6th. This could be anywhere from 3 to 11 points, for each wrestler. The most likely place where CM made it closer than it appeared it should be is winning more matches by pins and having less wrestlers awarded byes or at least winning after receiving byes. It can get pretty complicated, but a lot of points can be scored by winning by pins and advancing despite placing lower. A quick example is, a kid can win his first round champ. match with a bye and lose his 2nd match and have scored no points. If he wins the next match by decision and then loses to place 4th he has scored 8 team points. Another kid can pin in his 1st round champ. match then lose the next and follow that with a win by pin in the conso. round. If he then loses to finish 4th he has scored 14 team points. Six more than the other kid even though both finished 4th. I hope this helps.

February 23, 2004
comments: look for moffatt and cumpston in the finals!!!!!

February 23, 2004
comments: Way to go Griz! I told you the Grizzlies were due. They stepped up and qualified 9 for Huntington. The surprise of the night? Dave Corbitt who shocked the 171 weight class. Congrats to Willis, who had Ranson from Ripley in serious trouble. Nice effort Kesecker in a close final with Cooper. Looks like you'll get another shot. Casto and Morton and compete with anyone, and will show strong this weekend. Dino Bryant will surprise a whole bunch of 160s with his fitness. Seth Rader has everything he needs to be on the podium, and we will see it all. Bamm Bamm Bryant has scores to settle. And Big C. Johnson-- No one has more heart, drive, or fight. GO GRIZ!

February 23, 2004
comments: i know this is a long shot...but any chances of another team or individual poll?
Editor's note: Working on it.

February 23, 2004
comments: good luck to joe mcquillen at the state tourney, i really think you can win. mitch in the semi's?!? you can dfo it

February 23, 2004
comments: To "Region IV Reporter. In your 152 weight class you misspelled the champions name. It's M-E-T-Z! You'll be hearing it alot during states.

February 23, 2004
comments: Way to go guys bringing home 4 in a row regional Championships. You guys really stepped it up this weekend. And it looks like you guys will surprise alot of people at states. I could see 4 of you in the semi's if you wrestle hard. Good Job Coach

February 22, 2004
comments: http://www.nsaahome.org/textfile/wrest/wrmemo.htm
I found the above memo on the interpretation Rule 10-2-5. It is interesting. At the Nebraska School Activities Association Website:

February 22, 2004
comments: A question was asked on here regarding kids seeing their parents cheer for what some people feel is the wrong kid or team. I would like pose what kind of example is being set when kids are taught that winning is all that counts and sportsmanship (need I say good as some of us believe this is the only true kind) is not important. Does the end truly justify the means?

February 22, 2004
comments: I'm not sure of the right or wrong of cheering for anyone in any particular match, when it's a match involving a rival. But I do know cheering someone elses team or kid is not "ridiculing or harassing". It's cheering. One problem is that some schools fan base isn't large enough to cause anyone to notice it as entity all its own.

February 22, 2004
comments: I'd like to pose a question in a way that hopefully can allow some discussion in a manner that is acceptable to the editor. If a wrestler had to make one of the following choices, which would be the logical one: (1)to meet a wrestler whom you had just pinned easily 2 weeks prior, in order to qualify for the state, with the option that, if you failed to win you still had one remaining match to qualify for the state tournament. Obviously, if you won the 1st match you could safely default your subsequent match. This way you wrestle one match, suck it up for the team and score 2nd place points or (2)to forfeit to a wrestler that you just recently pinned and instead have to wrestle a wrestler that you had never wrestled before and one that had just recently beat the 1st wrestler you were avoiding. Now you risk losing out on even going to the state with (which would be devestating to your team) because you have only given yourself one shot. And you further hurt your team by at best only scoring 3rd place points. Please, just address these hypothetical situations in a logical manner and explain your reasoning for your choice so we can understand your thinking. Hopefully we all can learn something from the discussion.

February 22, 2004
comments:
103- Boggs- I look for him to do well in states, atleast top 5.
112- Moffatt- Seasoned veterian, bad draw, should finish 3rd.
119- Billings- Returning Champ, should finish top 3.
125- Ellis- Big win over Liethead, sets himself up to finish 4 or 5.
130- Ashley- 2X State Champ, will get his third this week.
135- Cummings- Could finish in the top 6, but no higher than 5th.
140- Casto- Best freshman i've seen since Mitch!! will finish top 5.
145- Bonecutter- Complete wrestler in a tough weight class, I'll give him top 4. But don't be surprised to see him saturday night.
152- Mets- Didn't impress me in finals, but has proven himself in the past, top 3.
160- Goodrich- Another good young wrestler, i'll give him top 4.
171- Burgess- Some guys have all the luck!!!somewhere in top 6.
189- McCoy- Real impressed with this kid....he'll finish top 3.
215- Craddock- He proved to me he can get the job done....i see him in the finals saturday night.
275- Harper- not bad....he'll get top 6.

February 22, 2004
comments: railing beat hashman 3-2 i think... besides smith.. it was a pretty even class. cooper almost beat hashman for 3rd , he lost 7-5 and had his chances. i'd say anybody who gets into a wrestle back with cooper hashman or railing will have some problems. also will say the same about the AA/A 145 class. the 4 wrestlers in from region 1 are all pretty good and close. hughes dec. merico 4-2 and elder dec. stevens 2-1 i think and in the finals hughes got a locking hands and reversal with 6 secs left in the rideout to win, they had it 3-1, it could have actually been scored 2-1 or 4-1, irrelevant however. the main thing about those 4 wrestlers is that they didn't seem to be real offensive. hughes.. i think can be by far the most explosive when he isnt content to milk a lead.. as shown against richey earlier in the year and against wharton twice last year. merico finished 4th, but i think bonecutter or anybody else who wrestles him will have a hard time scoring and considering bonecutter is a pinner and merico doesn't get pinned often at all ( once by hughes at river this yr, not sure if any other times), that bonecutter and merico should be pretty evenly matched. don't be surprised if region 1 places 4 in each class. other good region 1 classes were 119, all 4 kids are very capable, very surprised by gust of tyler, 135 is 4 deep with pettit( #4 coaches poll) of cameron finishing 4th, 140 was very good even though cumpston destroyed dimarco, tech in 2 periods, 152 has 3 decent kids and 1 real good one, also 275 where mckeever could be a dark horse for tyler. dont be surprised if u see a region 1 kid in every final, i think it will definitely happen except maybe 189 where ward and smith look like the cream, however dave foltz and lauderman both could threaten, especially considering foltz's "minor upset" of lauderman, foltz will definitely not go in under the radar now. best of luck to all northern 1's at states!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: A big Congradulations to Point Pleasant for their amazing performance at regionals this weekend. Coming back and finishing second after a slow start was outstanding(there was no tie for second, Point finished with 171, and HH finished with 170..was announced incorrectly). I'm so proud of all you boys that are going!! Jacob Carr, David Bonecutter, Daniel Tench, Justin Cullen, Brent Hereford, Health Shirley, Brandon Warner, James Casto, Nathenial Roub, and Kris Dewitt. youve come through injurys, upsets, bad calls, etc to make it this far. This weekend is your time to shine. And to coach...I'm aimin at 2nd place in our predictions(cause we all know whos going to win ;) So good luck to all the wrestlers at states this weekend, and i'll sure be there cheerin on my favorite team.

February 22, 2004
comments: Can someone give me their predictions for the top 6 in the 215 pound weight class in the AAA tournie.

February 22, 2004
comments: Yes, Point Pleasant is having an open this year. It is March 27th.

February 22, 2004
comments: Its been a long season, full of hard work and intense training. And now it comes to this. One intense battle for all the marbles. We shall now see who has trained the hardest, pushed themselves to their limits and beyond, and who is truly worthy of the crown of State Champion. After observing an entire season of wrestling and studying countless results and matches, I present to you the most accurate and complete predictions you will see. Without further adeu`, here's Class AA/A.

AA/A Predictions
103: Robert Rash (Ind) dec. Brandon Davis (OG)
     Flowers (Will) dec. Boggs (RC)
     Blankenship (BS) dec. Highlander (GW)
112: James Moffatt (Win) dec. Tim Cumpston (Cam)
     Miller (OG) dec. Godfrey (Log)
     Geary (Pet) dec. Workman (MT)
119: Anthony Valles (WM) dec. Noah O'Neil (Cam)
     Neal (SS) dec. Sampson (Cal)
     Billings (Rav) dec. Snoberger (Frank)
125: Shane Wright (OG) dec. Derek Scarbro (SS)
     Biddle (Will) dec. Hughes (Cam)
     Digman (Brax) dec. Leithead (Siss)
130: Jesse Mahan (OG) dec. Andrew Harvey (SS)
     Ashley (Cal) dec. Cronin (StM)
     Haws (Brid) dec. Adams (Brax)
135: Jeremy McCarty (LC) dec. Brennon Chambers (OG)
     Cummings (Cal) dec. Allen (WC) 
     Pettit (Cam) dec. Bartrug (St.M)
140: Jeff Cumpston (Cam) dec. Matt Dye (WC)
     Flynt (Brax) dec. Price (Cal)
     Casto (PP) dec. DiMarco (Will)
145: Casey Hughes (Cam) dec. Ryan Elder (Will)
     Hines (Brax) dec. Bonecutter (PP)
     Dye (WC) dec. Stevens (OG)
152: Devin Bosely (Frank) dec. Eric Metz (Cal)
     Northcraft (OG) dec. Efaw (Graf)
     Dennis (Rav) dec. Whipkey (Cam)
160: Shane Smith (Will) dec. Garrett Railing (OG)
     Mason (BS) dec. Hashman (St.M)
     Cooper (Cam) dec. Hodge (Wah)
171: Alan Tracewell (Will) dec. Isaac Stewart (Cam)
     Stevens (OG) dec. Tanner (Brax)
     Burgess (RC) dec. Charnoplosky (PB)
189: Mark Smith (GW) dec. Robert Ward (Ind)
     Foltz (OG) dec. McCoy (PP)
     Lauderman (Will) dec. Blake (Cam)
215: Cody Potts (OG) dec. Sam Craddock (RC)
     Tench (PP) dec. Boone (RC)
     Blankenship (Brax) dec. Cline (West)
275: AJ Freda (LC) dec. Andy Fegal (Weir)
     Manning (Cam) dec. Harper (Clay)
     Campbell (WE) dec. McMillan (SS)

February 22, 2004
comments: Semi Final match predictions

103: Green WP vs. Haislip Muss.
Gustines Jeff. vs. Knapton EF

112: Rush WP vs. Easter
Greynolds EF vs. Villifana Rip.

119:Turnbull Univ. vs. Hayes PHS
Riner HHS vs. Humprhy WP

125: Shyver PHS vs. Kelley South
Garvin M-town vs. McFarland Brooke

130: Durbin Brooke vs. Kurnot Rip.
Rader PHS vs. Lodge NM

135: Gustines Jeff. vs. Shaw Brooke
Connor M-burg vs. Gerasimovich M-town

140: Smith South vs. Lee JM
Smith Rip vs. Bailey PHS

145: Litton PHS vs. Nelson HHS
Richey JM vs. Osuna Cotto South

152: Adkins JM vs. Gustines Jeff.
Smith South vs. Campbell Univ.

160: Norman South vs. Runyon HHS
Davis Brooke vs. Gibson WP

171: Walters South vs. Cremeans CM
Ray EF vs. Loughran Brooke

189: Lindamood PHS vs. Radcliffe South
Tominack WP vs. Delligatti FS

215: Thomas PHS vs. Mauck FS
Hutchinson HHS vs. Hercules WP

HWT: Dearman PHS vs. Dorton South
Valentine EF vs. Rowsey Riv.

February 22, 2004
comments: Just logged on for the first time since the regionals and have read only a few posts but see several from Hedgesville about the polls. I'm not making any predictions and haven't even looked at the results in all the regions or the pairings for the state... but I believe the polls ranked the teams in the state, not the regionals, and they don't start until Thursday, so we'll see by Saturday night. Just in case my name doesn't clue you in, I'm not from region 2 and I'm not for either Hedgesville or Jefferson or Fairmont.

February 22, 2004
comments: This is pathetic that there are 5 byes in the State Tourny!!!!!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: I have read the posts congratulating Cabell Midland for giving Huntington a run for their money in the Region 4 tourney and am just curious to how it is possible for HHS to be losing the tourney going into the last 3 matches of the night? Breakdown of place finishers for both teams:
HHS                    Midland
Champions            Champions     
8                      3      
Runner Up            Runner Up
2                      2
3rd                  Third Place
2                      5
4th                  Fourth Place
1                      2
Over all, Midland had 12 placers and Huntington had 13. If someone could please explain how Midland could only lose the tourney by 10 points considering the difference is results. Is it mathmatically possible for a team to stay with another that has performed so much better. This is not intended to take away from the wrestlers at Midland. They wrestled a very good tournament and are starting to peak. As I said, just curious as to how tournaments are scored.

February 22, 2004
comments: Just wanted to say, Good job boys at regionals. Lets make it 2 in a row!!!! You boys are a GREAT TEAM, don't let the little things in life get in your way of staying that way. Keep working hard and we will see you at state.Big Reds are number 1.

February 22, 2004
comments: I have to agree that South wrestlers are very talented and they deserve a lot of respect, however I was apalled at the way the entire South crowd was cheering for teams when they beat a PHS wrestler. What kind of example is being set for the kids when they watch their parents harass and ridicule a teenager? That by far was the most disturbing thing I witnessed at the Region 1 AAA tournament.

February 22, 2004
comments: the score of davis(og) and flowers(will) was 10-6 davis

comments: what was the score in the hashman railing match?

February 22, 2004
comments: Are there any other sites or resouces where we might find youth tournament results, because they sure aren't being submitted to this one. I think it's a real shame that this isn't being done. Some are saying they will get to it, but I don't see anything yet. I think only one has posted this season. None of the ones our team has gone to have shared the results. One only needs to go to the page with all the youth tournaments and see when and where these are to see everyone who isn't turning these in. I have asked if anyone can give a reason why they won't do this and nobody has. Maybe we'll at least get the Jr. State Tournament results from Parkersburg. I think they are usually good about sharing those. Come on people, what's the problem? You go through a lot of work to put on a tournament and then don't tell anybody how it went. These tournaments are a lot of work, but they still are very good moneymakers. They provide our kids with an opportunity that they otherwise may not have had, but isn't putting out some kind of media report sort of like the final part of the tournament chores that should be done? I think so.
Editor's note: I got a set of results from Chester Saturday night. It's on my list of things to do to get them linked up....

February 22, 2004
comments: Kudos to Doc for juggling his schedule and managing this page over the weekend. Thanks very much for providing us with your unpaid services!! You're doing a great job promoting our fine sport in our state!!! Thanks for the years of service.
PKBG fan204
Editor's note: Actually, kudos to Coach Britner of Martinsburg and the Martinsburg boosters for running a first class tournament. We were done by 6:30 and I was outta there, got home at 9:30PM, and got stuff done. The Martinsburg folks had all the details covered - nice facility, plenty of eating area, kitchen open for food, plenty of parking, good PA system, good announcer, 3 mats kept busy all day (except for the finals), no breaks (other that 5 - 10 min or so),program books available Saturday AM (seeding done only the night before the tournament), wall charts kept up to date - in short, all the details were covered.

I had trouble getting files uploaded Saturday night, and I suspect that many fans had trouble getting on the website. Let me know if you did. I need to talk to my Internet Service Provider, but I suspect that the usage was so heavy Saturday night, particularly from about 10PM to Midnight, that the server was overwhelmed. That's something I need to look in to.

February 22, 2004
comments: First off I would like to say great job Red Devils. AA/A Region 4 was a great tournament. I saw all kinds of great wrestling. Here are some of the kids that really impressed me.
* Calhoun - Justin Ashley & Eric Metz were dominating as always. Jaron Samson also impressed me with his close match against Ravenswood's Judd Billings. Paul Goodrich also look great in his finals match.
* Hoover - Jacob McCoy is awesome! This kid is on a role now and my prediction to will it all. Cody Mollohan also wrestled very well and almost pull off the upset of Andrew Cummings in the finals, but Andrew battled back and won it OT.
* Point - David Bonecutter is an animal on his feet. This kid has improved so much just from the first time I saw him at the Point tournament early in the year. James Casto might be the best freshman I have seen in a while, he never quits wrestling. Jacob Carr impressed me by battling back after a questionable decision in the semi-finals.
* Roane - Scotty Boggs might be the one to watch! Little kid is tough. Cory Burgess put together a great tournament, he wrestled better than I have ever seen him wrestle. Sam Craddock looked dominating all day long.
* Mr. Harper of Clay - Watch out 275!!!
* One other wrestler stands out in my mind. Perry Ellis of Wahama. How can you not love this kid? He beat Andy Leithead 8-7 in the finals and got a well desserved cheer from the crowd. Godd luck to all these wrestlers keep up the hard work.

February 22, 2004
comments: If Rowsey is the best in the state who has he wrestled? I thought valentine pinned him in a min and some odd seconds.

February 22, 2004
comments: "THE WEEK OF GEORGE IS HERE"
Anyway, Can not wait until thursday night, Im busting! Looks like it will be an interesting State tourny to watch this year. Just thought I would pick some Dark Horses! These are just some kids to watch, might place, might pull a\out a title.

103 - Colton Gustines, Jefferson (It's in his blood)
112 - Daniel Felton, Brooke (I look for a third place finish)
119 - Brian Humphrey, Wheeling Park (Watch and see, 1st place)
125 - Aaron Kelley, Parkersburg South (Do not overlook him)
130 - Dane Henry, Martinsburg (I like this kid)
135 - Chad Porter, Parkersburg South (State Champ)
140 - Aaron Dunlap, Nitro (I lokk for him to be 5 or 6)
145 - Litton, GW (Will not place but give a good showing)
152 - David Campbell, University (State Champ)
160 - Justin Shaffer, Hurricane (I lokk for him to be 5th)
171 - David Corbitt, NC (finishes 2nd)
189 - Derrick Young, Hedgesville (4th place finish for young)
215 - Drew Mauck, Fairmont Senior (loses a close one to Thomas)
275 - Jesse Valentine, East Fairmont (pins Dearman)

February 22, 2004
comments: The 16 are in, and the fans are ready. Four days until the greatest sporting event in the state unfolds. Many of the 1-4 seeds had their bulls eyes hit, and this weekend shall see many more deserving wrestlers fall at the hands of fate. And so the legacy continues...

February 22, 2004
comments: How about Drew Retton from West Fairmont stepping it up and beatin mike barbour in the finals. Retton was no even planning on going to regionals friday because of illness and did not even practice wed thurs or fri. Good job little ret.

February 22, 2004
comments: Hey Hedgesville, good job, but whats with the hundred posts about how u overcame what every one was saying about u being no good. U guys have posted all about people askin y u werent in the top ten, but no one was arguing so shut up and get on with it. Wow u won regions, big deal!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: Congratulations to the Greenbrier West team on qualifying 11 wrestler's for the state tournament and placing as Runner-Up in the regionals. Good job guys! Congratulations to seniors Brandon Boone and Mark Smith who both captured their third regional titles and to freshman Trent Walker on his first regional win. Other Cavaliers placing were: 2nd: Travis Highlander, Colby Painter & Matt Osborne. 3rd: Danny Kessler, Keith Martin & Chad Crookshanks. 4th: Larry Crane & Maner Crookshanks. 5th: Chris Fitzwater. GOOD LUCK AT THE STATES!

February 22, 2004
comments: Congrats to the small-in-number, but EXCITING "Rasslin'" Ravenswood Red Devils! Thanks to all our wrestlers for an exciting year guys. Coach Dave, keep working and building. My best to our 4 young men that qualified for states. I'm looking forward to watching you give it your all like you have all season. You WILL do well! You WILL surprise a lot of people! Stay focused this week! Heart-Mind-Body-Soul.

February 22, 2004
comments: I would just like to congradulate Oak Glen for winning the region 1 championship and for sending 14 wrestlers to the state tournament. You guys are looking good at bringing home #8. Good luck guys.

February 22, 2004
comments: A-AA State champs/finals
103- Rash (Ind) over Davis (OG)
112- Cumpston (cam) over Miller (OG)
119- Neal (SS) over O'neil (cam)
125- Scarbro (SS) over Wright (OG)
130- Mahan (OG) over Harvey (SS)
135- Chambers (OG) over McCarty (LC)
140- Cumpston (Cam) over Dye (Wirt)
145- Hughes (cam) over Elder (Will)
152- Northcraft(OG) over Metz(Cal)
160- Smith (WiLL) over Railing (OG)
171- Tracewell (will) over Stewart (Cam)
189- Smith (GW) over Ward (Ind)
215- Potts (oG) over Craddock (RC)
275- Freda (LC) over Smeagol (Weir)

February 22, 2004
comments: I would like to thank Morgantown High School for running a very good regional on Saturday. There were only a few short breaks, and the tournament was completed shortly after six o'clock. Your school is beautiful, by the way. Modernized without losing its character.

February 22, 2004
comments: Congratulations to 215 Travis Boone for his 1st place finish over Charles Blankenship from Braxton, and to 103 Chuck Richards 4th place, 152 Jeremy Wince 3rd place, and 275 Brad Swiger 3rd place. You've all done an excellent job this season. We're all very proud of you. I wish you all the best of luck at states this weekend. Go get em boys!

February 22, 2004
comments: According to the Huntington paper, Zach Fraley didn't make weight

February 22, 2004
comments: Congrats to the Tyler Consolidated team, placing 4th in the region and taking 9 wrestlers to state!!!! Good luck guys, we are proud of you!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: Doc why wont you submit my forum??? Titled 35 YEARS IN THE SPORT. If you think because im wrong, read the MORGANTWON NEWS it interviews this kid. His exact words were " I took one for the team". He also was asked about all the booing that he recieved and his quote was" thats what happens in a big rivalry".Well that had nothing to do with a rivalry.
Editor's note: I've received a torrent of posts concerning events at AAA Region I tournament. Justin Jackson, reporter for the Morgantown Dominion Post has a well written piece about the facts as they appeared to him.

Other than reporting the facts of this incident, and linking to a reporter who described the events, that's all we are going to have to say about this incident here, unless there are more facts someone would like to present. We are not going to get into speculation from anonymous posters about motives. We are not going to get in to insults.

Here's another snippet of a post:

This should be posted because it does no good to cover up something that is very wrong. Quote"Dominion Post". "I hurt my knee last week when I wresteled Durbin".

Well, that's not exactly a quote from the paper. It's a matter of public record who Rader had wrestled in the previous week. Perhaps some misunderstanding there or something, I don't know.

And another...
comments: Ok regarding this Rader default. Did anyone see his comments in the Morgantown paper? If he was going to wrestle one more match, why not simply go ahead and wrestle the kid in the semis and then default in the finals. He would still be wrestling one more match and my strategy would have placed him in 2nd rather than 3rd!
OK, that's fair game. I have frequently seen wrestlers, once assured a state tournament spot, forfeit their final match. I don't recall ever seeing it earlier than the final match.

comments: TO THE EDITOR:WHO IS THE EDITOR ON HERE? SCHENNY; ARE YOU AFRAID TO PRINT THE TRUTH? IF THE big reds BROKE ANY RULES BY FORFEITING RADERS MATCH AND THEN CONTINUING ON, I WANT IT PRINTED AND FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

We will print facts. We are not afraid to print the truth. I am afraid to print slander, libel, and other stuff which might get me sued. I suspect that if the Big Reds or anybody else broke any rules, and nobody here has claimed that they did, someone will call it to the attention of the proper authorities at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place. Coaches aren't bashful about doing that, surprisingly.

comments: YOUR ALLOWED TO FORFEIT A MATCH,....

Well, yes and no. Again, my rule book is a little old, but Rule 10-2-5 says "A forfeit shall eliminate a contestant from further competition in a tournament, except when the forfeit is because of an injury or illness which occurred during the tournament." Perhaps my rule book is old. Somebody with a current rulebook correct me if this is incorrect, please. This particular rule caught my attention some years ago when we used to run a late season tournament here at Preston. At this tournament, teams would often enter both their varsity and JV, and it was not unusual for a teams JV wrestler, if he found himself wrestling his team-mate in the top bracket, to forfeit the match and drop to the consolations. This rule would seem to prohibit that, unless the wrestler had been injured during the tournament. I posed this question to Dr Welker in the Making The Call feature on 10/22/97, and his interpretation has been on this website since then.

Then, on the other hand, you have the interpretation discussed at the following link at the Nebraska School Activities Association Website:
http://www.nsaahome.org/textfile/wrest/wrmemo.htm

February 22, 2004
comments: The IIAA/A regional tournament was really good, the 152 lb. weight class was definitely the most stacked in the state in my opinion. Efaw has a good shot at the state title, best luck to Mason,Waugh,Andrews,and Blankenship!

February 22, 2004
comments: To: Lloyd Christmas
Well I guess we all need to tell you "you were right" because McCray didn't qualify and Hayes got MD'd by Humphrey. Oh wait, McCray beat Hayes and did finish second, Humphrey only beat Hayes by ONE,and Smith will be watching from the stands. So maybe you need to apoligize to the wrestlers you critized and learn the rules for seeding before making such redicliuos statements on here.

February 22, 2004
comments: to dg: Yeah Congrats to Hedgesville on their Regional Championship, but the polls are based on the state tournament. We'll see were they stack up with East on Saturday night.

February 22, 2004
comments: Didn't get to make it to Roane County for Region IV AA. Does anyone know the results for 189lb?

February 22, 2004
comments: the score of the Ryan Flowers/Brandon Davis match was 10-6

February 22, 2004
comments: Congratualtions to all those going to "The Big Show" at the Civic Center (I just can't bring myself to use the other name!). Way to go "Young" Knights - you lost some in the semis that could have gone either way. You are not quite there yet but I am sure in years to come Midland will return to being in the hunt for not just regional but state honors as well. All you freshman and sophomores - we are sending more reinforcements up from the middle schools this year. Hang in there, stay on the mats and the books and you will reach your goals. Special congrats to CM from CM who stepped up and won the region as a freshman. Hope everyone has a good experience in Huntington next weekend. See ya there!

February 22, 2004
comments: "To all of those who didn't think McCray deserved 2nd seed.....what do you have to say now????....say all you want!!!...Great job Mccray"
All McCray has established is that he should have been seeded above Hays. The arguement, however, is that he should not have been seeded above Humphreys. Did he beat Humphreys? No he didn't! They lost to the same person, McCray's loss was just later in the day.
Also to the person who said to throw the records out and that "noone" cares about them: Well I don't know who this "noone" is but I'm glad he cares about records. While you were right that records do not determine state placements, regionals are seeded and if you cared to look at the standard seeding criteria you would find that... what's this? Records do matter! Wow I guess "noone" was right after all!

February 22, 2004
comments: ROWSEY is the best in the state and the thought that i cant get past my head is that hes a sophmore.He won his region#3.

February 22, 2004
comments: Anyone know what the score of the Ryan Flowers (Will.) vs. Brandon Davis (OG) match was.

February 22, 2004
comments: I would like to congratulate all Riverside Wrestlers on this years efforts! They have worked hard and it paid off at the Regionals. They ended up with 7 state qualifiers. With six freshmen and only loosing 3 seniors, this team is only going to get stronger! GOOD LUCK AT THE STATES RIVERSIDE!!

February 22, 2004
comments: update the friggin page....im sure more people posted on here then what you put out on the forum page

February 22, 2004
comments: I would like to congratulate all Riverside Wrestlers on this years efforts! They have worked hard and it paid off at the Regionals. They ended up with 7 state qualifiers. With six freshmen and only loosing 3 seniors, this team is only going to get stronger! GOOD LUCK AT THE STATES RIVERSIDE!!

February 22, 2004

February 22, 2004
comments: Good job to the Flying Eagles on placing 3rd as a team this weekend. Jay Thomas was dominant again through the whole tournament. Saturday night you will be at the top of the podium and the doubters will know who is No#1 at 152. Sean Meade lost a hard fought 9-6 decision to Ike Ward in the finals. Manny Troche came through big and lost in the final seconds of his finals match. Tyler Wilson and Demastes had a barn burner in the finals. 11-8 Demastes with 18 seconds to go in the 3rd period when Wilson tried a desperation firemans and got caught and pinned. Zack Evans dominated the 135 pound class and looks poised to make a run in Huntington this weekend. Great job also to Joe McQuillen, Justin Wharton and Jacob Antoine on wrestling tough back through consolations. You boys did us proud.

February 22, 2004
comments: Hey my predictions were pretty accurate.....only wrong on 3, 130, 152, and 160. Other than that..I was good...so my predicitons did not go down the toilet!!!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: To region 2 superfan: What the heck are you talking about, when did Camereon come into the picture? All I am saying is you "northern Studs" better not sleep on region 4!

February 22, 2004
comments: congrats to South's Travis Townsend and PHS's Stilgenbauer for surprising the skeptics and qualifying for the state tourney... Tough luck for Combs... You battled hard and hopefully this loss at regionals will springboard you into a successful campaign next year... The best thing about South/PHS wrestling is that the kids who did not qualify for states came out and wrestled hard in the 5th place matches...

February 22, 2004
comments: TO wrestling fan: since you said "say all you want" I will! I still do not think McCray is the 2nd best in the class. Humphrey is BY FAR the 2nd best wrestler in that class. You will see. If McCray can make it do Humphrey in the Semi's you will see the great in-justice you did him at regionals. I already proved Hays should not have been ahead of him, McCray is Next.

February 22, 2004
comments: To my favorite wrestler, Brandon Boone: CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR THIRD REGIONAL TITLE! We are so very proud of you. Good luck at the states. We hope all of your hard work and determination pays off.

February 22, 2004
comments: Congradulations to the riverside wrestling team. you guys did a good job with a very young team by sending 7 wrestlers to the states, and placing 5 wrestlers in the finals. And a special congradulations to matt rowsey for stepping it up when the team needed you to come from the back to the starter, and winning the whole thing. We are proud of you guys.

February 22, 2004
comments: Congrats to Cabell Midland for given Huntington High a run for their money. Congrats to the three champions Mike Wilson, Chris Miles, Mike Creamens. Lets hear it for the freshmen, they again where running with the big dogs.

February 22, 2004
comments: Congrats to Kyle Walters for pinning his way to a championship. Another outstanding performance on the way to another state championship.

February 22, 2004
comments: An unsuspected wrestler almost pulled off the biggest upset in region! Mike Merico from Weir High was within inches of upseting Casey Hughes. In the first period it was pretty much even till Merico came out of nowhere and got a takedown. In the second Hughes caught him in a spladle scoring three backs. So, in the third Hughes took down and Merico couldnt do much. So, now 3-2 Merico let him up hoping to score a takedown but was unsuccessful. I'm not sure if Merico could beat him but he sure gave him a hell of a run for his money. I read on this forum to watch out for the kid from Grafton because Hughes only beat him 10-0. Well, I think 4-2 sounds alot better than 10-0. so, I would watch for Merico this weekend because if shows up ready to wrestle he will be up there. The best of luck to Hughes and Merico.

February 22, 2004
comments: what happended to Zach Fraley - Huntington i saw he didnt make the states

February 22, 2004
comments:
Parkersburg High School takes regionals for the third year in a row and qualifies 11 wrestlers.

Parkersburg South finishes second and qualifies twelve wrestlers.

The big question of the day is Brandon Rader of PHS. His injury forfeit was sudden, and everyone wants to know his status. But the big answer of the day, IMHO, was South's Zac McCray, who beat Jake Hays and grabbed second in the region. I've said it a million times before: DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS KID!!!!

McCray and I have talked a lot in the past, and I consider him a friend. That may make me biased, but I have seen the kid wrestle, and he is dynamite. He should turn some heads at States.

I live in Wood County, so Wood County wrestlers are about all I've gotten to see this season. I hope all the other wrestling enthusiasts don't take offense to my lack of knowledge about their kids, because I haven't seen them in action.

State Prediction: One hell of a good show, and that's as far as I'm going with it...

February 22, 2004
comments: Saw the Metz-Dennis match. It was not a classic but Dennis did keep from getting pinned.

February 22, 2004
comments: SOMEONE WROTE: "So much for poles huh? LOL! Congrats to Hedgesville. They don't need no stinkin' poles!" I think you mean polls. Poles spelled like that are things you drive in the ground or people living in Poland.

February 22, 2004
comments: Congradulations to the Flying Eagles on your 3rd place finish at Regionals. Not bad for 9 guys. Qualifying 8 out of 9 is outstanding. Manny Troche you have the Heart of a Lion ! Wrestling with a severely sprained ankle you made it to the finals and almost won the whole thing. Thank you for showing the team what the word guts means (if you had sat out the team would have dropped 3 or 4 spots in the final standings). To the rest of you guys, you all wrestled great ! Work hard this week and make us proud at the State Tournament.

February 22, 2004
comments: Look out for Cabell Midland at the state tourney. I watched region 4 tournament today and Midland had the Huntington High sweating bullets, it came down to the last match of the night to determine a team champion. Great Job Midland

February 22, 2004
comments: Good job PHS, everyone thought South was gonna win but you all stepped it up and took home the gold for the 3rd year in a row......now lets make it 2 years in a row for state, I forgot to get a shirt last year anyways. Whats Raders status? Also, thursday night will have some good matches.....some of the regions 4th place finishers will be takin down the 1 seeds of the other regions. I also saw tominack and radcliffe had inj def., whats goin on with them......them 189 matches get rough. And one more thing......ROBERT SHYVER, did he change anyones mind yet? majoring garvin. Anyways I'll be at states, Big Reds DOMINATE!!!!!! Oh yeah......good job south at regionals.

February 22, 2004
comments: there is a legality that i think should be adressed that is found in the rule book...any wrestler that intentionally forfiets is out of tournament competion...this a a real rule and one that will likely cause quite a fuss...anyone who has a current rule book will see that i am not making this up...look it up...

February 22, 2004
comments: I have followed this years wrestling very closely and must say that PHS has went from 5 or 6 studs, to a total team effort. PHS will be 2004 state champions. Thats not a prediction, thats a promise.

February 22, 2004
comments: I have followed this years wrestling very closely and must say that PHS has went from 5 or 6 studs, to a total team effort. PHS will be 2004 state champions. Thats not a prediction, thats a promise.

February 22, 2004
comments: I would like to congradulate David Bonecutter on his Regional Championship.....and also braking the school record for most pins in a season with 36 and counting.....

February 22, 2004
comments: Good job Roane County on a third place finish in the Region. We qualified 6. I know we hoped for at least a couple more, but we had a strong finish in the finals matches to end the day on a good note. Special congratulations to seniors Corey Burgess and Sam Cradock on your regional championships. You two guys stepped it up and showed the leadership that was much-needed. Also, good job to the little guy, freshman champion Scotty Boggs. Along with these guys, sophomores Ricky Griffin, Billy Hall, and Evan Kendall will go, too. This entire team has worked hard. You have made us proud. Now, go give your best effort in the state tournament to find out just what is possible when you want something bad enough.

To comment about the Region 4 A-AA Tournament, this was an enjoyable tournament to watch because of so many high caliber teams and individuals. There were no runaway favorites like there may have been elsewhere. The top 4 or 5 teams finished very close to one another in score. Calhoun County had to make up some ground with tough wrestling down the stretch to win. Pt. Pleasant and Herbert Hoover both wrestled outstanding, and actually tied for second. Roane came in closely behind in third. There were many many good matches throughout the day. We appreciate the effort that all these wrestlers and coaches put forth today, and we look forward to seeing how well Region 4 is represented at the state tournament come Saturday evening. Best of luck to you all.

February 22, 2004
comments: another shocker was brandon rader's injury default..he never gets hurt..it must be serious..thank goodness he qualified...

February 22, 2004
comments: So much for poles huh? LOL! Congrats to Hedgesville. They don't need no stinkin' poles!

February 22, 2004
comments: To all of those who didn't think McCray deserved 2nd seed.....what do you have to say now????....say all you want!!!...Great job Mccray!!!

February 22, 2004
comments: well i region 2 was great today watching #6 ranked in the state east fairmont and #10 ranked jefferson lose to not even ranked hedgesville... people been asking why is jefferson above hedgesville in the team polls now the question is why was east fairmont and jefferson ranked ahead of them they did an excellent job good luck at states

February 22, 2004
comments: just back from morgantown. phs region I champs 3rd year in a row. next up state title. go big reds.....

February 22, 2004
comments: congrats to the oak glen wrestling team for winning region 1. good luck at states, guys

February 22, 2004
comments: Is Point Pleasant having their open tournament this year?

February 22, 2004
comments: polls?!?! what do they know? what do they show? come on eagles lets go!!! thats right...Hedgesville EAGLES, the same eagles not ranked in the top 10,beat east fairmont badly...196 to 161 ...were sending 11 to states....watch out...it seems like the BASKETBALL coaches did make up the poll...MARVA MADE!!!can u say REGIONAL CHAMPS!!!i know i can...have a nice ride back to fairmont...with no trophy...if u wanna see it...come to hedgesville high school...it will be in the trophy case...later

February 22, 2004
comments: Parkersburg South has always had integity and excellent wreslters...They work hard every year and should be so proud of the dedication and love for the sport. Whether they win or lose at regionals or state each and every person on the team should realize what a honor it is to put on a SOUTH singlet. I believe every person on the team is capable of winning and will do their absolute best at States next weekend. Good luck boys, we all know you can do it and we are all proud of you!

February 22, 2004
comments: As reading previous postings, I saw the discussion about the drum at PHS...I am all for tradition and if they feel that they need a drum to be beat when they have a pin or are doing well that is great, don't really agree but there are quite a few times in a match that the person beating the drum gets excited or just doesn't know whats going on and they beat it when the other team is doing well...so for the most part I would put much thought into the drums...let them do what they want and thank them when they cheer for your team!

February 21, 2004
comments: Bad news for the big reds....parkersburg paper this morning coach schenerlein stated that Ewing wont be wrestling in the region due to not being able to make weight. Big hit there, ewing would of been a major point scorer.

February 21, 2004
comments: Brian Humphrey has to meet and beat Turnbull to make it to number 1. I have read the issues being discussed on here and would like to point out that if Humphrey doesn't beat Turnbull in the semis of the regional and he is indeed the 2nd best wrestler in the state then in the state tourny he will be in the opposite bracket (if he is 3rd in the regional) and will get the chance once again in the state finals which is probably the most important thing to him. If this seeding hurt anyone it was South because if Humphrey was seeded 2nd that meant Hayes would be 4th and would not likely place higher than 3rd. Now he has a much better chance of finishing 2nd and thus scoring 3 or 4 more team points. But you don't hear South crying foul and it doesn't even sound like Park is complaining (that's where I'm from). We're just looking forward to wrestling.

February 21, 2004
comments: To: Huntington fan. Sorry about that. Didn't really mean to pick on region 4. Just wanted to poke fun at Lloyd since he was crapping all over the website. It worked. I'm sorry he's now in your region. At least region 3 is happy. Imagine this, region 2 & 3 & 4 all involved in a dialogue that doesn't directly involve region 1 or something to do with Cameron or a wrestler from there. But I guess it actually did start with region 1. Oh well.

February 21, 2004
comments: THE FACT IS......that Humprhy didnt make state last year...thats why he is seeded 4th, had his chance against hayes, didnt take it, mccray beat hayes this year, turnbull beat both hayes and mccray......humprhys really the only person noone has wrestled. Throw the records out, noone cares about records at the regional or state. But I can gurantee you alot of upsets in region 1 tomorrow

February 21, 2004
comments: Hey.....guess what everyone......region 1 will be over with tomorrow and everyone can stop complaining...hopefully!!! The reason other schools will qualify more is because there regions are fairly easy. I'm not putting down the other regions but region 1 is absolutely stacked with talent. The top 3 teams in region 1 would qualify all 14 if they were in another region. It'll all be said and done tomorrow night and people will start making their annual state predictions. good luck to all the wrestlers, hopefully no injuries this weekend.

February 21, 2004
comments: Dearest Lloyd,
Don't take it so seriously or you just might crap your pants. Besides, what's all this about region 1. I'm from region 2 and let's see what story I can make up about myself since I don't have to prove it. I have tried to be serious on this forum, but let me you clue you in. You're wasting your time. So get a life and lighten up.

February 21, 2004
comments: ABOUT KEVIN WIGAL GOING TO REGION FOR SOUTH 0-0 IN 1995, NOT ONLY DID HE QUALIFY AT REGIONS,HE MADE IT TO THE FINALS AT STATE WITH TEN OTHER OF HIS TEAMMATES. THAT'S RIGHT, ELEVEN SOUTH WRESTLERS IN THE FINALS. THE PARADE OF CHAMPIONS WAS UNRERAL. A TEN MINUTE STANDING OVATION FROM THE GREATEST WRESTLING FANS IN THE COUNTRY. IT WAS PERHAPS THE GREATEST SOUTH WRESTLING MOMENT OF ALL TIME, GO BIG BLUE....

GOOD LUCK TO SOUTH AT REGIONS, JUST QUALIFY ALL YOU WRESTLERS AND WE CAN PUT A FORK IN EM, BECAUSE THEY ARE DONE.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page