West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 1998 Forum (Part Six)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 25, 1998
comments: what happened to region 2 AAA 140lb. Joey Cline ? any one know?

February 25, 1998
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer too much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"
Teddy Roosevelt
This certainly applies to all the wrestlers and in particular Justin Underwood. Good Luck to all!

February 25, 1998
comments: Oak Glen has a big advantage, Wirt is next. I think Cameron was hurt when their 103 moved up to 112 and will have a tough time keeping up with Wirt. In my opinion the top two are pretty much set, but after that who knows. Cameron, Ritchie, and Frankfort would have to be the favorites for the top 5, but Calhoun will be a force as well as Petersburg. Indepence, Williamstown, and Grafton will place a few, but will not be in the hunt for a top 5 finish

February 25, 1998
comments: AA/A Wrestling
Someone once said, "The race doesn't always go the the swiftest or the best... but that's the way to bet". With that quote in mind, AA/A champion: Oak Glen. Cameron and Wirt County with Ritchie County coming up on the outside for 2nd. Williamstown, Grafton, and Independence as Top 10 teams. Not very earth-shaking predictions, but, hey...with all the predictions flying around, I couldn't resist.

February 25, 1998
comments: To the Region III watcher what heated the whole argument was a wrestler from a rival school sticking his tongue out at our fans,,, I am sorry but when you stick two of the biggest rivalry schools in the state together you are going to have arguments but wrestlers have no reason to get up when they pin the other teams wrestler and showboat. That is the worst sportsmanship I have ever seen in my life... As far as the other man who wrote back about my comments from the other day I agree they should make both wrestlers stay in the middle of the mat when the winners hand is raised. Any actions shown at all in a negative way (throwing head gear, sticking your tongue out or anything derogatory) should result in a 1 point deduction from the match and/or a team point.... once again I hope that the HHS fans and wrestlers accept my apology and that also goes for anyone else I offended.

February 25, 1998
comments: Congratulations to Marion County Wrestling for sending 27 wrestlers to the state tournament. Marion County consists of Fairmont Senior, East Fairmont, and North Marion. Good luck to Marion County at States.

February 25, 1998
comments: Oak Glen and Cameron did not impress me at all at Regional. Yet I have seen Wirt get stronger as the year has progressed. This year they have a new coach who I do not think is going to burn them out .....

February 25, 1998
comments: I think the LKC the toughest small school conference in the state will be well represented in the finals, with maybe a finalist in eleven of the fourteen weight classes with several being head to head LKC match ups.

February 25, 1998
comments: GO BIG REDS! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE WITH A BLATANT DISREGARD OF RULES FOR PROTOCOL AND ETIQUETTE OF SPORTSMANSHIP IS ALLOWED TO BE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING COACH. I AM SO PROUD OF THE TEAM THAT PARKERSBURG IS TAKING TO THE STATES. I THINK WE CAN WIN THE STATE CROWN AND I AM GLAD THAT OUR COACHES AND WRESTLERS AREN'T SPOILED SPORTS AND AREN'T AFRAID TO SHAKE ANYONES' HAND, EVEN IN DEFEAT. A COACH THAT DOESN'T PROMOTE SPORTSMANSHIP IS ONLY A DETRIMENT TO THE TEAM AND WILL HURT HIS TEAM IN THE LONG RUN. I AM SO GLAD THAT PHS IS NOT LIKE THAT. GO BIG REDS! BRING BACK THE TITLE.

February 25, 1998
comments: To the individual who asked about Mike Zebuhr: Mike lost a close, hard fought match in overtime against King of Ripley. King deserves a lot of credit. He wrestled a very smart match and kept it close. However, I still believe Zebuhr is the best 215 pounder in the state. He is a very polite, well spoken gentlemen, who knows how to lose with class. In overtime Zebuhr did not play it safe and conservative. Instead he went after King and attempted an under-arm spin and slipped. King was quick to counter and won. Again, take nothing from King, he worked hard to win and deserves a ton of praise. Going back on my early season prediction of the HWT class, I still feel Hennessey is the man to win states. I was happy to see him and Kerns in different brackets. Hopefully it all goes according to how most people are predicting (which it usually doesn't) and Hennessey will win in the finals by at least two points. I hope everyone has a safe trip, please drive carefully especially in the always jam-packed freeways of the Charleston/ South Charleston areas. Good Luck Wrestlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 1998

On reading Steve McCarty's article I fill I need to set the record straight concerning Justin. As you know he was involved in a serious car accident last November. We did not know at that time if he would be able to wrestle again. He has worked very hard to overcome his injuries to return to the mat. This was his decision to try to come back this year. Not only did he have to overcome his injuries but due to missing 43 days of school he had to go to school after practice to make up his work. He ending up making a 3.5 at the end of semester. So he knew going in that he only had a couple of weeks to get ready for his first match. But his love for the sport of wrestling was what keep him going. He knows that he is at a disadvantage but he will give it everything he has out on the mat. For you see I am Justin's Dad. I know how hard he has worked to get where he is. He was able to bench 340 lb then the next day after the wreck he could not lift 5 lb. He has come a long way. For that I am very proud of him. So Steve I hope instead of criticizing his performance on the mat you will see him and pat him on the back. Win or lose down at the States I will greet him when he comes off the mat. I will tell him how proud I am of him and how glad I am that he is still here with us.
Thanks, George Underwood
Editor's note: I'm sure I speak for Mr. McCarty and many other fans who agree that regardless of the outcome of Justin's matches in Huntington, he deserves nothing short of a standing ovation for his return this year. I don't think Mr. McCarty was being particularly critical of your son, but rather was acknowledging the obstacles that Justin has overcome this year.

February 24, 1998
comments: I hate to disagree but Oak Glen will walk away with the team title, scoring over 200 pts, while Wirt and Cameron will fight it out for second. Wirt County will have several finalists, but don't have the depth that Oak Glen has. Cameron could sneak up on Wirt. I look for Wirt County, if they have a good tournament, to score around 150 points Cameron could also score in the mid-100's with a good performance. Should be interesting.

February 24, 1998
comments: About what Matt Cox had to say, I don't know what caused the argument, but . . . when rivarlries get so heated ... it makes one wonder if maybe things are going WAY TOO FAR! I felt sorry for the coaches whose teams fans were involved. They were trying to coach these important matches and chaperone the crowd at the same time. This had to distract from the matches and bother the wrestlers involved. When an athlete is thrown out of an event they have to miss the next match, maybe we need a similar rule for fans ( but it would be impossible to enforce). I hope that all involved ... will be sportsmen at the state tournament. Our sport deserves no less.

February 24, 1998
comments for forum: I don't remember which edition of the forum I was reading several months ago but I came across a post from a HHS fan that said James Branch is the only National Champion from WV in any sport. I went to WLSC with JB and I wrestled at PHS at the same time he was at HHS (different weights). JB is a great person and I really enjoy seeing him at the wrestling tournaments we attend (he is an assistant at HHS and I'm an assistant at PHS) so I don't want to take anything away from him, but this fan did not do their research. In 1940 a Parkersburg High grad named Leland Merrill was a National Champion at Michigan State and went on to win the Bronze Medal at the 1948 Olympics in London. So, I guess that makes two national champs from WV. If there are more please let me know. Lets hope Mike Mason at WVU is WVa's third champ next month.

February 24, 1998
comments: After looking at the brackets I say they would have to favor Wirt over Oak Glen right now.

February 24, 1998
email: comments: I WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 215 MIKE ZEBUHR OF BUCHANNON IN THE REGIONAL TOURNEY.

February 24, 1998
comments: Congratulations to the wrestlers from both Ripley and Ravenswood High Schools who qualified for the state tournament, especially to Adam King who beat Mike Zebuhr in the finals for Regional champion. Way to go Adam!! Good luck in Huntington!

February 24, 1998
comments: Sportsmanship!!!
Homer admires the apology from Matt Cox and the statement he made about sportsmanship. The more wrestling Homer watches, the more respect Homer has for the officials and referees and the pressures they are under. This past weekend, Homer witnessed several acts of unsportsmanship which resulted in deduction of team points and could have resulted in wrestlers who had qualified for the States to be disqualified. But what upset Homer the most was not the actions of wrestlers who get caught up in the emotion and the heat of battle, but the attitudes of coaches who fail to develop the character of wrestlers. The situation that Homer has been stewing about happened in a coaches meeting where the tournament director was explaining the rule book's decorum on post match procedure where both wrestlers are to stand by the official while he raises the winner's hand. The response from a coach was, "does he want them to hug and kiss also." It's this type of apathetic view by coaches that gives the sport a black eye. If coaches were as concerned as developing young men's character as they are in producing winners, we would see young men standing up and taking responsibilty for their actions instead of a generation of "Me First and Only Me." Homer thinks if the referees would quit turning the other cheek and not be afraid of the wrath of the crowd or coaches, we can nip this unsportsmanship thing in the bud. Mr. Matt Cox, you're more man than the above mentioned coach and you can wrestle for Homer's team anyday. Let's have a clean tournament this weekend and when your match is over, win or lose, stand there like man, face the crowd and let them know you gave them your best.

February 24, 1998
comments: I want to congratulate both HHS and CMHS for doing a great job this year. Since both schools are sending 14 to the State this year, Cabell County will be well represented. I would like to tell Coach Archer and Coach Sparks that they have done an excellent job this season!! Keep up the good work!! Good luck to both teams, I know we can come out big this year!!!!

February 24, 1998
comments: I was reading "Words of Wisdom" and saw a great quote for all wrestlers to remember this coming weekend:
"A TRUE CHAMPION LOSES MANY BATTLES BEFORE WINNING THE WAR" Everyone who made it to states has a chance to be a champion. It doesn't matter who is ranked above you or below you. Give it your best.

February 24, 1998
comments: I attended the Region 3 AA tornament this weekend and it was a show. All the final matches were pure excitement. I have heard some talk about the other regions in AA and the hard competition there but I have to tell you none are as competitive as Region 3. I want everyone to watch during State Finals and see how many representitaves of Region 3 are there. I am sure you will see that I am right on! Good luck at States everyone!

February 24, 1998
comments: What happened to Alford in the 215 at Region III?

February 24, 1998
Bigcox63@aol.com
First of all I would like to apologize to all of the Huntington High wrestlers and parents for what happened at Regionals at Pt. Pleasent on Saturday. But I would also like to say that I don't appreciate the (poor) sportsmanship from (others who I consider to be) very rude and inconsiderate. I have never done anything wrong to any of the wrestlers or parents of Cabell Midland even though I am a fan of Huntington High School. For the sake of all the wrestlers and fans from both schools I suggest people really figure out what good sportsmanship is before the State Tournament on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Once again I would like to appoligze To HHS wrestlers and Fans, espically Jason Cox and Craig Morgan. You both did an outstanding job Saturday and I can't wait to see you both this weekend. Good luck all of the HHs wrestlers and Coach Archer....

February 24, 1998
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu comments: To: SE.
RE: Whitmore default vs Ford
According to the Fairmont paper, the two wrestlers accidentally butted heads, with Whitmore receiving a deep gash in his forehead. It said trainers worked on him for 15 minutes before determining that he couldn't finish the match. Ironically, Ford had suffered a concussion in his match against Justin Cox of South just eight days earlier.

February 24, 1998
comments: To: BDD There have been many 4 place winners from one region. An example: In 1994 in the 171 lb weight class in Region 2, Anthony Kennedy, Nick Lahman, Scott Jones, and Jamie Given finished in the region and state in that order.

February 24, 1998
comments: I saw where Ryan Ford won by injury default over Pat Whitmore in Region 2. Does anyone know what happened?

February 24, 1998
comments: Last Year at 189 4 place winners from the same region, Ryan Courtney- Fairmont Sr. , R.J Carey- Jefferson, Josh Jackson- Martinsburg and Lonnie Sharpe- Elkins all from Region 2

February 24, 1998
comments: To BBD
Last years top four places in AA 125# class came from Region 3. They finished the same in the LKC, Regional and State Tourney. 1 Drennen [Wirt] 2 Dunn [P. Cathl] 3 McCartney {Calhoun] 4 Wince [Ritchie]

February 24, 1998
email: Hummmbert@aol.com
comments: 4 state placewinners from same region
Yes...actually quite a few times. I'll look it up, but since 4 qualifiers have been taken from each region, Region I AAA has done it numerous times. In 1977, Jeff Morris (John Marshall), Dan Hoffman (Wheeling Park), Gig Dornick (Park. South) and...the other Region I representative, whose name slips my mind...were the top 4 placers in the AAA state. This has been repeated many times. I'll look it up and post a more comprehensive answer in the next several days.

February 24, 1998
comments: To BDD
last year 96-97
AAA 189 Region 2
AAA 215 Region 1

February 23, 1998
name: BDD
comments: Does anyone know if there has ever been 4 state place winners from a single region in the same weight class?

February 23, 1998
comments: Congratulations to the staff at Pt. Pleasant High for doing a great job in hosting the Region III tournament. The bout number system clearly made things run smoothly. There were many exciting matches and some stunning upsets. Perhaps the biggest (grin) upset was in the Heavyweight division where Pt. Pleasant's Josh Jones coming into the tournament with less than 10 LIFETIME matches pinned Cabell Midland's Jack Chapman (top seed) and Huntington's Craig Morgan (second seed) and emerged as the regional champion! The crowd went berzerk with the ending of this, the final match of the day. Congratulations to both Cabell Midland who qualified all 14 wrestlers for the State and brought HHS's 10 year stranglehold on the region III chamnpionship to a halt and also to the Huntington squad who are sending 14 too. It looks like Cabell Co. will be well represented at the Civic Center. On behalf of the Cabell Co. schools and Huntington, welcome to all the out of town fans who will attend the state tournament! It should be a dandy!

February 23, 1998
name: Patrick Morrison
email: morris45@marshall.edu
comments: As for the formation of a wrestling program at Marshall University, I know of no plans being made. I assume if a men's "non-revenue" sport is added it would be swimming. I have, however, talked to Jim Giunta of the NCWA about the possibility of a club team at Marshall. I haven't been able to find enough interest here on Marshall's campus for this to be realistic. As with all club sports, this would not be funded by the university; making transportation and equipment costs a large concern. I am presently too busy to deal with organizing the logistics of such a program. If anyone has any ideas or comments...

February 23, 1998
Editor's note: We've received some trash talking posts from individuals claiming to be state tournament qualifiers. I assume these posts are bogus, as those wrestlers who who going to the big show are busy preparing themselves (or should be), and not TRASH TALKING ON THE FORUM. We will not post anything from anybody claiming to be a contestant at the State Tournament if it has even the slightest suggestion of trash talk. So, you guys who are sending this stuff, don't waste your time ..... (smile).

February 23, 1998
email: fountai1@marshall.edu
comments: Any predictions on the state champs for this year out there? I think Roane County has the chance on bringing home two state champions. Josh Cradock at 140 and William Steele at 152.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated February 16, 1998