West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- February 1999 Forum (Part Eight)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

February 28, 1999
Well, the States are over and emotions are running high. It is a taxing experience to sort out all the posts. I'm trying to be fair. I am extremely grateful for all the contributions to this fourm and encourge more. After all, this website would be nothing without the contributions by its readers. However, in the heat of the moment, sometimes our zest for writing borders on personal insult. So, I play the role of editor and make a "judgement call" (yikes, there's that phrase again) as to what gets posted. I'll concede that some of what gets on here may still be considered by some to be a personal insult. If nothing else, there certainly is clear evidence that wrestling fans have a passion for the sport and are not afraid to express opinions about it. I guess the bottom line is this: We all look for a lively discussion of the sport, but let's leave personalities out of it as much as possible...

A few observations...
a) Many fans are expressing concern that "stall-calls" vary from official to official. Dr. Welker, in his commentary on the stall rule, concedes that point ... "Many sincere attempts, both written in the rules and demonstrated on video tapes, have occurred over the past four decades to develop official-consistency in stalling calls. However, it has been observed (time and again) to be virtually impossible to train two officials to call stalling in the same manner.
b) It occurs to me that we may have to accept that all officials are not going to see stalling the same way. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that an individual official make the call consistantly throughout an individual match, and that the wrestler be sufficiently warned about what the official will and will not allow in terms of stalling.
c) As the rule is currently set up, the wrestler has in essence 4 warnings before a DQ, and any points prior to the DQ must be earned by the opponent. Under the old rule, the wrestler was still disqualified on the fifth stall call (remember? -- warning, 1 point, 1 point, 2 points, disqualification).
d) What's the alternative? Ever watch Olympic wrestling? They have an official on the mat and 2 or 3 judges off the mat. Don't they have some rule that 2 out of the 3 must agree on ALL calls? Is that what we are coming to in High School Wrestling? That system certainly hasn't taken the controversy out of officiating. Read up on Nate Carr's Olympic adventures if you doubt this point - someone is always getting over-ruled by the Bulgarian judge or something like that. I can see it all now. Quarterfinal match at the State Tournament. Referee signals a takedown at the end. The wrestler from Preston wins. BUT WAIT!!! The take-down is being overruled by the judge from North Marion!!!! The judges from Clay-Batelle and Berkeley Springs say yes, but the judges from North Marion and Iaeger judge say no..... (smile).
e) In regards to the wrestlers: My hat is off to every wrestler in the state - the winners, the losers, and those who didn't make it to Huntington. These are all dedicated athletes, and deserve our admiration. However (and no disrespect to the wrestlers) they are teen-age amateur athletes for goodness sake - not multi-million dollar professional athletes. I don't think they are deserving of extreme critisism by the fans. Million dollar pro athletes -sure - let 'em have it. But not High School athletes. Just my opinion.
e) I would be remiss if somewhere along the line I didn't thank the State Tournament administration, and particularly Robert St.Clair, Cathy St. Clair Curry, Diana Archer, Beverly Murrell, for their help in making tournament results available for this website. They took the initiative to change to new tournament software this year which, among other advantages, made getting results to the website a snap. They were most cooperative in making digital data available, and this was the easiest tournament yet in terms of updating the website. So, I don't take the credit for the success we had this year in keeping updates.
f) Finally, we set a new record for "hits" to this website last week -- 10,189 hits to the front page (that's right, over ten thousand) and a toal of 53,574 hits to all pages on the the website -- in one week. This is about double the readership of last year. I conclude that wrestling fans must be the most computer literate group of people in West Virginia....

February 28, 1999
comments: In regards to the dearth/ward match. Perhaps the problem with the call of the fifth stalling was not the fact it was called with two seconds left but that the stalling calls seemed to be very inconsistant from match to match. Ward has proven himself to be a truely talented wrestler throughout his career and should be very proud of himself. good luck to him next year at WVU, im sure he will prove himself worthy of his position.

February 28, 1999
email: (for the forum)
comments: Just got home from the State tourney-what a great event! It's as great as it was 15 or 20 years ago, and improving. Glad to see there wasn't much in the way of unsportsmanlike conduct. And many, MANY thanks to this site and especially the editor for keeping up with it (I don't know how you did it without sleeping for the last 3 days!) I believe those boys who bettered themselves throughout the season are the real champions, and my congratulations go out to all of them! But of course being as "true blue" as I am, it goes without saying that the biggest congrats go to Parkersburg South on another excellent win that a lot of people doubted would happen- I never did-when you've got "heart", you're always a winner!Great job to all who put on the tournament, and the coaches, athletes, and fans who stand behind the great sport of wrestling!

February 28, 1999
comments: I would just like to say that the officials at the State tournemnt did a ok job, but I think there was a very BAD calls. The one that sticks out the most in mind is the Lamb/McCartney match. I have no affilation with either team, so I think I can have a very neurtral opinion. I really don't think that Lamb had control of McCartney for the TD.

February 28, 1999
comments: Once again the state tournament has come and gone.....congratulations to all champions, and all those who probably deserved to be champions...... the only comment I have is concerning, yes, the Dearth- Ward match..... yes, it was obvious to anyone really watching that Ward dominated the entire match, true, he probably should have been called for stalling, but not 5 times!!!! I agree that no, the ref should not be watching the clock, however he had just called stalling not 10 seconds before, to stop the match.... he knew time was almost out, and that another stalling call would give the outcome that it did. I simply think it is unfortuante that a match of such importance would be decided on a stalling call in the last seconds..... In my opinion it was poor judgement by the ref... but that is neither here nor there since the champion has already been decided. However, (even though I recognize that everyone does make mistakes) I have seen far to many not only questionable calls, but in some cases outright ludicruos calls by officials in the past few years at the state tourney. Perhaps going back to the two refs to a mat would help solve some of these "bad judgement" calls in the biggest tournament of the year for these wrestlers. They work very hard, and they all deserve a truely fair shake, by impartial refs..... I think having two refs to a mat leads to more consistent calling.

February 28, 1999
email: Usmcbill@aol.com
comments: For Forum:
Granted it's over, but I still hurt for Jason Ward and what he experienced in the semi-finals. The definition of stalling seems to vary with each official and was very inconsistent in the state. It's just a shame that a wrestler dominates a match like Jason did, and come away with a loss. I know the officials have a very tough job, one I wouldn't want, but I also believe some of them at times succumb to the cheers and "calls" from the fans.

February 28, 1999
email: kkwilson@inetone.net
comments: Thank you Tim Miller for the updates on the state tournament. When I left Beckley at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday morning heading to Huntington, I had your brackets printed to take with me so I would have a guide as to what was going on when I arrived at the civic center. I'm sure the extra work limited your ability to enjoy the tournament, so thanks again for keeping us informed. Congratulations to Oak Glen and Larry Shaw and on another championship ! He's a Shady Spring native and we are very proud of him. I was very impressed with Ash Wenmouth of Williamstown, he's a true technician on the mat and was the wrestler who caught my eye in the finals. Maybe an outstanding wrestler award is in his future. Congratulations also to the young men from southern WV who were placewinners and to those who are 1999 WV State Champions : Matt Callahan (Woodrow Wilson), Steve Kinley, Adam Lewis (Liberty Raleigh), Joe Heath (Greenbrier East), you fellows proved wrestling is alive and well in the southern part of the state.

February 28, 1999
comments: I feel that the call in the Dearth/Ward match was ther correct call. The Ref is not spossed to be looking at the clock and the fact that there was 2 seconds left doesn't mean a thing. Yet I feel that there is a very unconstant way the refs call stalling. It should not change from match to match. There were to many kids who got a way with riding the hips, blocking off on their feet and laying on the bottom. There should have been more kids stalled out than Ward.

February 28, 1999
comments: I have never in my life seen as much heartbreak as I witnessed at the state tounament this year. Many seniors who have worked hard for four long years and deserved the state title will spend the rest of their lives wanting to relive this weekend (Logan- Ripley, Ward-CM, King-Ripley, Salmons-Ravenswood) and I just wanted to send them my condolences. Just remember everything happens for a reason, although sometimes that reason may not seem clear.

February 28, 1999
comments: I think that Andrew Richards got the raw end of the deal on Friday against Chad Purpura. He ended up with a Third Place finish.He is a better wrestler than that and should have recieved a first.

February 28, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Josh Coffey and Jared Walters on their State Championships! Also, congratulations to all the place winners. Keep up the good work. GO KNIGHTS!

February 28, 1999
email: jcsnider@ovis.net
comments: Congratulations to Jason Snider for his state championship at #152 A/AA. Sorry to see no picture in the Sunday paper since wrestling is already obscure in Tyler County. Thanks for all the support from friends and other wrestlers.

February 28, 1999
comments: I have made my final thoughts on the state tournament. If you would like to see them go to www.angelfire.com/wv/matman . Spider keep your head up, you showed more heart than anyother wrestler i saw in my weight class.

February 28, 1999
comments: after reading forum from the last few days i could give my opinion on a lot of subjects,but i will stick to the topics i have experience with. first,as a fan,and as a former wrestler,each young man that went through all the hard work to be a wrestler is a winner,he will benefit in life from his/her experience...that said,the outcome of one match does not determine the self worth of a young man.. many matches wrestled this past weekend could be wrestled on a dozen different weekends and the results may or may not change, to the champions...congrats..you earned your spot at the top, to those who finished other than first,if you give it all you had than you to are a winner and a champion,if you could have done more,on the mat or in the wrestling room to prepare yourself than you must decide if you are willing to pay that price.. most championships are won in the wrestling room long before the state tmt begins...oak glen and south proves that on a regular basis.........

on the officiating....there were some calls i did not agree with at huntington...refs are human and they make mistakes.... sad but true,,the one thing that lacked this weekend was consistency in the stalling calls...friday night all stripes made them wrestle,no stalling allowed...saturday night..not so.. rules are rules,,,a take down with 2 seconds is called,a locked hands with 2 seconds is called,,,a pin with 2 seconds is called,,,all judgement calls...all calls are basically a judgement call,, with a rule book to fall back to...maybe if more people would give officiating a try we could replace some of the guys that have been doing the states for so long.....just a thought.. and for those people that booed josh dearth ...fans like you are the problem with high school sports and the world in general,,,that young man did nothing but give his best, most of the people that like find whats wrong with the officiating, and mvp votes and like to complain about regional numbers most likely were not at the states 10 or 20 years ago and will not be there 10 or 20 years from now .. another great wrestling season congrats again to all wrestlers and coaches,,,only you know weather to walk with your head held high or not...

February 28, 1999
comments: Sorry i forgot to mention Mike Miller in the past entry into the forum.He is a 4 time state champion and the crowd showed him their respect as he got a standing ovation from almost everyone in the civic center. Congradulations mike miller you work hard for it and you got it!

February 28, 1999
comments: I would like to Congratulate Matt Miller of East Fairmont on his outstanding season! He truly has a bright Junior and Senior Season ahead of him. Congratulations to Nick Hederick of Fairmont Senior on his second title, and Outstanding Wrestler Honors. Also Brian "Rat" Floyd and John Ramsey of North Marion, they both completed great seasons, and all of the other Marion County Wrestlers who Wrestled this weekend in Huntington you all should be proud.

February 28, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: If there was ever two exciting heavy weight matches..it was 215 & 275 AA. Congratulations to the state champs of these classes as well as all the newly crowned state champs. http://www.pwrlftr.com

February 28, 1999
comments: Comments:
Congratulations to Ritchie Rebels for a great season. Congratulations to State Champs Justin Wince and Jason Hayhurst who are two great athletes. Congratulation to John Peters, Coach of the year.

February 28, 1999
email: mlucas61@aol.com
comments: Congratulations to Parkersburg South for winning the AAA championship. You guys had a great tourney and you should be commended. That being said, I think the call in the Dearth/Ward match was unfortuante. The call wouldn't be that bad if it was earlier in the 3rd period, but calling it with 2 second remaining was unfortunate. Especially since Ward had totally dominated the entire match. Congratulations once more to all the South wrestlers for their great achievement.

February 28, 1999
email: sportsmom@imagixx.com
comments: YOU DID IT MATT MILLER!! WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU! STATE CHAMP 160! East Fairmont High School Wrestlers, Coaches and Parents!!!

February 28, 1999
comments: Thanks to Dr. Miller for organizing the WV-MAT Academic Awards. I presented our wrestlers with their certificates at an assembley in front of our student body. (I made certificates for those who were recipients of the Academic Honor Roll on my computer and put them in frames.) As a teacher, as well as a coach, I believe it's really important for our students to see that good grades and athletics should go hand-in-hand. Thanks again for the opportunity!

February 28, 1999
comments: I think Matt Stevens did a great job considering he pinned Alex Reed who was a state champ last year and was expected to win the state. Matt had 3 pins and a tech fall. No one even touched him. If you ask me he should have got the outstanding wrestler award.

February 28, 1999
comments: I would just like to say that Parkersburg High did a great job. They came to the state with 9 guys and no one expected them to place in the top 5 and they placed 2nd and had 2 state champs and should have had 4.

February 28, 1999
email: rrhodes@inetone.net
comments: An injustice occured at the 1999 State Wrestling Tournament. Voting for the AA/A Coach of the Year was obviously based on jealously or envy. It appears to me that any team that begins the season as the heavy favorite, maintains the #1 ranking throughout the season, leads the state in the # of qualifers for the state tournament, has 10 wrestlers that placed in the top 4 ( including 4 state champions ) and walks away with the team championship for the 3rd straight season is certainly led by the Coach of the Year. Not taking anything away from Ritchie County, but Oak Glen's Coach Larry Shaw got shafted again!! NO ONE can convince me that he didn't do the best job of any coach at any level this wrestling season. For anyone that did not vote for Coach Shaw, I would like to see how you would handle the pressure of being EXPECTED to win the state championship by everyone and then convincingly doing so as he did. Some may say, " Give me the talented kids he has, and I will win the championship too !" Well, no one gave him these talented atheletes, he taught them what it takes to win. Coach Shaw and his assistants have a program that all wrestling coaches dream of. The program does NOT make Coach Shaw #1, Coach Shaw makes the program #1. the program

February 27, 1999
comments: I would just like to congratulate Nathan Kinsley and Kenny Griffin from University High School. They both wrestled very well. Kinsley pinned Duncan (P. South) for 3rd place, it was a great win for him since Duncan beat him at Regionals. Griffin came back from losing his first match to take fouth. He wrestled really well. Also congratulations to D.J. Tatar and David Hefner of UHS. They wrestled a very good tournament but just couldn't pull through at the end. Congratulations to all wrestlers who placed!

February 27, 1999
I would like to thank you for your updates. I am stationed in England and I am missing my brothers first opportunity for a state title. Your updated brackets are so helpful. When family calls, I already know the scores. My brother Will Westbrook has become an outstanding wrestler and I am very proud of his accompishment this year. Thank you for your updates it makes me very happy to see how he is doing from England.
Thank you, Waylon Westbrook

February 27, 1999
Your brackets links aren't loading. You may want to check it out or separate the brackets into individual weight class links.
Editor's note: Anyone else have this problem? I knew the brackets would be slow to load as they are in excess of 75K. Often-times documents this size just choke up when your browser tries to load them. I haven't figured out a way to break them up in a timely manner - to do so would require an extra hour or two of work, at least, and uploading 28 documents from my room at the Radison instead of two. I'll work on this for next year. My puny lap-top will let me upload from Huntington, but I can't get on the net to check the site after the updates are uploaded.

February 27, 1999
email: acyrus3333@aol.com
comments: PLEASE UPDATE THE FORUM...THANK YOU

February 27, 1999
comments: when will the tournament results be on on this site..the finals..??

February 27, 1999
comments: would like everybody opinion on the stalling in the dearth /ward match...was it right to call with just two seconds..tough match..thoughts..everyone..thanks
Editor's note: Er, um, to get everyone's thoughts on the Dearth/Ward match and the Lowe/Glass match would probably require a separate website. Right now its 3:30 AM Sunday and I'm sitting here bleary eyed in front of this computer trying to figure out how to handle these posts. I suspect that the comments will all boil down to Ward/Lowe was robbed/not robbed. Those matches are over and I don't know how much benefit there will be in trying to re-wrestle them on the Internet.....

February 27, 1999
: comments: Sorry Jimmy Johnson, I guess this year wasn't meant to be for you. I bet you will be more determined next year...look out for this young man next year. I bet Calhoun will have three men in the finals next year though. Good Luck guys and keep your heads held high.

February 27, 1999
comments: just wanted to put my two cents worth on the wva wreslting tourney..was there on fri...it was a great evening of wrestling..man its hard to watch all eight mat?? anyway..i know everybody is going to talk about the dearth/ward match...as a non wrestling expert..i was surprised the ref called the fifth stalling on Ward with just two. secs..with him up 8-5...it was said to see his emotion...tough....to take.. nobody know just how hard these wrestlers work all year for this .. anyway....some people thought it was a good call...i did feel ward was saving himself...but....with two seconds left..that must have been tough.. well, he had a great wv wrestling carreer..now u can put him in the books..as a victim of the new stalling rule...any thoughts...best of luck to all the wresters in the finals..wrestle your best...memories last a life time..but i hope everybody aacknowleges all the placers..not just the champs..thanks..for letting voice my opinon...

February 27, 1999
comments: After seeing Ward's match with Dearth no matter what the statistics say, I think Ward is the best 160 pounder. Ward was dominating Darth the whole match. Darth only had one takedown and did not score on anything else but penalty points. I dont see how they can call him for stalling the last 3 seconds of the match to dq him. I agree that he should have been called for stalling but not 5 times. He couldnt score that much if he was stalling the whole time.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page