West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2002 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 5, 2002
From: PHS Fan comments: Just came home from the PHS-University match. Rader, Knapp & Dagget are looking really good. Can't wait to see how they do next month. Good Luck guys and keep up the good work.

January 5, 2002
comments: I just returned from the South/Oak Glen match.Oak Glen won 38-27.Congratuations to Coach Shaw and the Bears,they earned their victory with aggressive wrestling.Pins were the difference and South still has some growing to do in the next 6 weeks or # 4 will be hard to obtain.Nathan Pickens moved up to 171 to challenge Derrick Stickles and won a hard fought 9-6 victory over Stickles.The embrace by these two after the match showed mutual respect and class rarely seen in these days.Both of you are true champions on and off the mat ! Also congrats to Chris Morrison on another hard fought battle with Joey Caughey(3-2).If anyone is looking to knock off Oak Glen this year you better get to work because they are loaded again and on a mission.Same goes for South and Nathan Pickens,Ryan Metz and Chris Morrison, they have their eyes set on the top of the podium Saturday night in late February! Hurry back "Boz",we need you!

January 5, 2002
comments: Just came from the South-Oak Glen match. It looked like Oak Glen wanted it more. Stickles-Pickens match was good. In my opinion South will be hard pressed to send their whole team to state this year. I can't imagine anybody beating Oak Glen for AA title this year.

January 5, 2002
comments: better consider your picks for 112 pound wieght class,because I see that Brandon Rader pinned Turnball at their dualmeet.

January 5, 2002
comments: I agree with the Ravenswood fan, Bumgardner is doing great this year. Keep up the good work Ryan!

January 5, 2002
comments: Has anyone seen this Wojo of Riverside wrestle he's dominating the 275 class

January 5, 2002
comments: Does anyone have the schedule for next weekend at the Winners Choice in Fairmont, WV? and the WSAZ? Times, matches, teams, etc. It used to be posted on the Mat Page under the Headlines where you just clicked on it and it came up, but I noticed this year you can't do that on the events. Can this not be done anymore? This is helpful to the fans and parents.

Editor's note: I have the times for the WC, and will put it up this weekend, once we get this weekend's activities out of the way. Regarding the posting of additional information on the various tournaments -- I post anything and everything I get from the tournament directors. For some reason this year I haven't received many "adavance scoops" on many of the tournaments. I will take this opportunity to remind tournament directors that if you will send me the details for your tournament, i.e., start times, teams, format, admission price, etc, we'll be happy to link up the info.

While I'm on the topic of "Headline Events" -- how I choose events to list as a "Headline Event" isn't exactly a science. Usually on Sunday night I scan down the schedule pages and pick out a few events that catch my eye. Sometime I overlook a big event which may be buried in the list. If I have overlooked a "big event," let me know.

January 5, 2002
comments: Not everyone is bailing out of the 125# class, just the ones that you thought would stay, however there are some strong kids still there that might just surprise you!!

January 5, 2002
comments: Alright, I have been keeping a good eye on the forum and I haven't been seeing what I wanted to see. I have been waiting for someone to post something about Ritchie County's, Ryan Bumgardner. He was out the 1st tourny of the year due to heart problems, but is back now and has 2 tournaments under his belt. I watched Ryan at both of these tournys and was very impressed. He tore people up. He flew through the Tyler County Inv., and then went to Pt. Pleasants and wrestled 7 matches, pinned everybody, never had a point scored on him, and never went out of the 1st period. The boy is good! He is as tough as nails, and if it is one thing he knows it's "Wrestling." Coaches and wrestlers better start watching out for him cause is on a roll, and dropping to 119. I'm not even from Ritchie County, but like they say "Gotta give credit, where credit is due." Congratulations Ryan, and keep up the hard work! It is your last year to win states, so take advantage of it. You have all the physical and mental attributes to do it. You've came close, now it is time! Good luck at the upcoming Winners Choice tournament, and for the rest of the season. Tear them up at 119!

January 5, 2002
comments: Thanks to Dave St.Clair for recapping all of our Friday night league action. Our website provides insight and motivation for our wrestlers to do better and keep the pride of Lubeck wrestling going. Thanks Dave! Here's our site for others to check out:http://www.eteamz.com/lubeckwrestling/

Thanks to the Editor for all the work he puts into this sight. Good Luck SOUTH!!! Oak Glen will fall by 9 pts. Upset at 171. Good Luck and Health to all, PS fan January 5, 2002
comments: Concerning wrestleoffs and parents I must say I totally and enthusastically disagree with alot of the posts on this matter. Wrestle Offs should be open to parents!!! How else am I as his parent going to be able to help him in his problem areas if I never see how he wrestles other than in competition. Now maybe we do it a little different in our part of the State but here is how our wrestle offs work.
1. Nobody coaches either wrestler( not even the coach)
2. Best man wins and earns points for the team 3. If theres an open spot in the tournament 2nd man who lost wrestle offs can still wrestle
4. It was that way in little league and its that way in middle school. If no place for second man who lost then he don't wrestle thats how life works get better or move into a different weight class.
One final thing before anybody gets annoyed or upset with me understand where I'm coming from. My son started wrestling when he was 7 years old. Between then and 6th grade he won placed in nearly every tournament we entered. In Middle School he had to pay his dues though he weighed 165 but couldn't beat the kid who was an 8th grader at 165 so he wrestled 190. He ended up being able to wrestle there and ended up doing quite well there. But he had to pay his dues as every wrestler who is the teams point scoring wrestler. This year he still has competition from another 8th grader sometimes my boy wins sometimes the other boy wins, either way wrestle offs are always fun to watch win or lose

January 5, 2002
comments: I witnessed the Clash of Champions last weekend at South High School and saw some great action at the jr high and middle school level.It looks like South will be blessed once again with Blennerhassett and Edison meeting in the finals of the 16 team tourney.One of my good friend's grandson,Zac McCray went undefeated at 100lbs and looked very aggresive.Congratulations Zac !

January 5, 2002
comments: Congratulations are in order for Ryan Metz of Parkersburg South. He has been so overwelmingly impressive, it seems everyone around the state is bailing out of the 125# division. I saw him wrestle recently and must say I dont blame them for going elsewhere. In my opinion, he is without a doubt the best kid in the state right now!!! I'm not a South supporter and would like to see someone give him a good match, but I don't foresee it happening. I predict that he will win MOW at states.

January 5, 2002
comments: AAA wrestling predictions.
103:
1.Easter
2.Shyver
3.Howard

January 5, 2002
comments: Where did the link for the NCAA rankings go to ???

Editor's note: Yikes. I'll hook it back up under the College boxes on the front page.....

January 5, 2002
comments: To HuskieWrestler, yes I did see that match. I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. First, lets remember I did pick Lane to win the title at 140. Second, I'm not saying Lane has no idea what he's doing. He has moves that he's very good at. I'm simply making a comment on his choice of moves. Lane is not known for his fancy leg riding, or slipshot singles...Hes known more as an upperbody wrestler. In other words, He prefers moves that a physically weak wrestler could not make work.
To the Editor and /or Hedgesville guy, regarding the comment on my usage of the term "dark horse". What I ment by calling Foltz a "dark horse" is that He could make some unexpected noise at the state tournament this year. If you have any other questions about my usage, please refer to the online dictionary.

January 5, 2002
comments: Does anyone know when the winner's choice starting times are next weekend at Fairmont? Thanks
Friday 1:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM
Saturday Finals at 6:30 PM
We'll have more detail posted in a day or two.....

January 5, 2002
email: Shickman@aol.com
comments: I must respectfully disagree with the Fan commenting on "what the head coach should do.
1) The head coach needs the respect of his team. Control comes with earned respect. What the coach thinks is correct may be the wrong lesson a kid needs to learn. He should listen to many and thoughtfully make decisions.
2) Wrestling practice should be kept open to parents if at all possible. Remember we are forming future leaders. Mentor them appropriately. Wrestle offs--I agree should be closed, attended only by the team.
3) The coach should give his phone number to each parent. The lines of communication must remain open. Sometimes the parents know best. Open communication will only help team bonding.
4) The coach must set rules but not too many. If the rules are changed, and sometimes it's a good idea to change, it must be openly discussed with the team.
If we give complete control to anyone with regards to our minor children we will eventually be sorry. Please support your coach, slap him on the back, help him, cuss and discuss things with him. Do not give him dictator status. It will only hurt the sport of wrestling.

January 5, 2002
comments: When is the WV Youth Sates at parkersburg so i can plan ahead and get off work, please post the dates Thank You

January 5, 2002
comments: I wrestled for West Liberty in the 1970's and Marshall's program was on the way out then. It seems to me there were some problems with taking scholarships away from injured wrestlers that caused some hardfeelings and bad p.r. some from this, some from poor choices on the wrestlers on scholarships. Eventually the funding crunch got to them.

January 4, 2002
comments: Is donnie peck and charlie gibson wrestling hwt and if so i think hwt will be better than it is now.

January 4, 2002
comments: A comment on 12/31/01 from Superman on Mid Saeson"Super Picks" on the 152lb.weight class about Troy Foltz...Could be a possilbe "Dark Horse" What does that mean?
Editor's note: From the on-line dictionary
Main Entry: dark horse
Function: noun
Date: 1831
1 a : a usually little known contender (as a racehorse) that makes an unexpectedly good showing b : an entrant in a contest that is judged unlikely to succeed
2 : a political candidate unexpectedly nominated usually as a compromise between factions

January 4, 2002
comments: South is still nursing some injuries for Saturday's match vs. Oak Glen but no excuses, just wrestle! I look for Nathan Pickens to move up to 171 to challenge Derrick Stickles and that one will be worth the price of your ticket! I also look for a little revenge this year for Chris Morrison vs. Joey Caughey! Good luck to both teams this weekend.

January 4, 2002
comments: To the fan that wrote the article on the AA-A class and how it would all be different if cameron had a different line up. You also stated that Independence beat Wirt in a tournament, yes that was true but when they wrestled them again in a dual match they lost by a wide margin, don't get me wrong Independence is a tough team but Wirt Co. is out to prove their worth and will do so in the end. Count on it.

January 4, 2002
comments: Way to go PHS your coming along ......good match against John Marshall need to work on getting in better shape but it will come. Way to go Daggett it's coming back don't let anything or anyone get ya down keep working hard.

January 4, 2002
comments: To Superman: If you watched Lane wrestle at JIT last year, then i presume you saw his match against barbour. In this match, Wes tech falled him with TECHNIQUE and strength, not just strength.

January 4, 2002
comments: Whos the top contender early for 152???

January 4, 2002
comments: To Big Predictor: Donnie Peck is still at Clay and wrestling at 215. I think he is undefeated.

January 4, 2002
comments: i have a question and please answer.. this is somthing i have been wondering for a while now.. why doesnt marshall have a team any more in wrestling? someone told me this was because of a title 9 rule or somthing like that.. if so whut is title 9..
Editor's note: Er, um, there is a TITLE 9 page link on the front of this website.

January 4, 2002
comments: congrats to the guys at the wheeling park duals. morgantown has come along way since i was there. coach powers and coach moore have really turned that program around.

January 4, 2002
comments: Congrat's to:
Anthony Easter 103lb.
Matt Easter 119lb.-yes his wrestling there
Robbie Ripley 140lb. Been there all year accept for Berkley County
Mitch Casto 152lb.
All champs this past weekend (28th and 29th) at St.Clairsville OH.

January 4, 2002
comments: I would just like to thank Coach Darst and all the teams down at the point pleasant olympic tournament it was one of the best if not the best tournaments i have ever seen. East Fairmont was honored to be asked to come down and would like to thank every one for kicking our butts in the end it will make us better. I wish all the teams good luck on the rest of the season We would love to see you again if possible and would love to come back if you would have us. Thanks again ~ shane

January 4, 2002
comments: what is nitros schedule or where can i find it? heard there could be some changes in the line up

January 4, 2002
comments: I noticed that 145 is already losing some big time wrestlers. I know it is the toughest weight class but it won't be for long because some wrestlers are too scared to stay there.

January 4, 2002
comments: These are my predictions for AA/A 189 and 215. I am not sure about some of the weights of these wrestlers but I am going on what they have done so far this year. Also I saw where someone predicted Peck from Clay at 215 and I think he graduated.

Barnette, Ind
Hebrock, OG
Clark, BS
Bosley, Fra
Meyer, Cam

Magnone, Weir
Weaver, Mag
Delebreau, Will
Hashman, StM

January 4, 2002
comments: i am refuring to the december 31 forum and i was looking at it at 119 grogg is supposed to win it and easter and kennedy are both supposibly dropping so what are they gonna do. they gonna still drop. and easter and frerichs are on the same team right so what will frerichs do if easter drops.

January 4, 2002
comments: could someone tell me the exact dates of this year's WV state tournament. the reason i am asking is because the weekend that it is listed to take place is the same weekend as the Prep Nationals in PA. it didn't seem right that the prep nationals would happen before all the state competition is over. thanks.
Editor's note: The dates posted on the front page of this website are correct

January 4, 2002
comments: I can't wait until the winner's choice that will be a tough tournment. Their will be some great matches but the one that I think stands out the most is the 135 match chantz griffith and mitch smith.

January 4, 2002
comments: OAK GLEN--I think Oak Glen has a very tough line up for the P-South dual match this Saturday. They have a full team with no injuries. On Jan. 2 they had a dual with Wheeling Park and beat them like 71-4. I am not sure if that is the correct score but it is very close and I know for a fast Wheeling only received 4 points. Anyway I think it will be another close and well fought out match. Good luck to both teams but I am rooting for OAK GLEN!! GO BEARS!!
Editor's note: Last year, the night of the south/og match, my ISP went down and I couldn't post anything until the next Monday. The ISP seems to have their bugs fixed, so, if someone will flash me the results of this match, and others, we'll try to get everything posted in a timely manner.....

January 4, 2002
comments: Pairings out for the Virginia Duals. SOUTH seeded 8
http://users.erols.com/datwink/duals2002/naths.html

January 4, 2002
comments: What about Mitch Casto from Nitro, seems to me he's been showing some good strength and endurance at the out of state tourneys?

January 4, 2002
comments: yes Matt Wright is wrestling for south this weekend against Oak Glen he is wrestling 160 if he can make weight. But will be wrestling 171 the rest of the season.

January 4, 2002
comments: To the person complaiing about Wirt County not being ranked ahead of Calhoun , Williamstown and Calhoun. I agree with what you are saying, but do you realize that the poll was made BEFORE Wirt wretled any of those teams? The poll was based on who the coaches thought had the best returning team. 2 months ago, Cameron and Williamstown were both favorites because they had alot of placewinners returning. Now that the season actually started, things have happened that would have caused a change. Lets use Cameron for an example. Cameron has had multiple qualifiers unhealthy or who did not come out. O'Neil (140) has been injured all year, he is a 2 time placer and would be a DEFINITE favorite at 140.Isaac Stewart (145) has been hurt for mot of the season and is still battling injuries. He is in the top 4, if healthy in AA-A. D.J Yoders (130) returning qualifier, wrestled state champ Casey Hughes to a 2-1 loss at Cameron last winter. He would be in the top 3 at 130 but he didnt come out. Justin Beresford (275). Qualifier last year at 275. With his strength and aggressiveness, he would score in huntington. now put these guys on the team and drop noah o'neil to 103 and put kelly hughes at 112 and cameron will win AA. its not even a question in my mind. that's wrestling though and they dont have that arrangement of weapons right now and that is why you shouldnt live or die by the polls because maybe wirt will have such a swing of bad fate. And by the way why is there no mention of Independence? They may be one of the strongest teams in the state right now and they already beat Wirt in tournament and dual.

January 4, 2002
comments: Congrats to Blane Mayle on his 100th career victory. My question is where are you at takedown wise?? are you close to 122!!!!

January 4, 2002
comments: First of all I am a little upset that my last comment was rewriitten and not all I wanted to say was printed.I didn't use any foul lang.or sat anything too negitive.I just printed my thoughts and feelings.Second...GOOD JOB HEDGESVILLE!Your results should have been posted in the local paper but was not. I feel win or loose your coaches should print the results.You all worked hard and gave 150% CONGRATULATIONS to TROY FOLTZ,he went 6-2 One match was 5-5 into over time,you only lost by 1 point.For a freshman you are doing great!Keep up the good work and keep your cool!No matter what DON'T LOOSE YOUR TEMPER!Be the polite and respectable young man we all know you are. GREAT JOB GUY'S and GOOD LUCK at Jefferson this weekend!

January 4, 2002
The following wrestlers went undefeated at the recent Wood County Duals - Clash of Champions and are being recognized on the All-Tournament Team.

75 Carpenter, Blennerhassett: Flowers, Williamstown; Ramey, Beverly Hills
80 Farthing, Shady Spring
85 Johnson, Williamstown; Phalen, Ripley; Townsend, Blennerhassett
90 Burrows, Calhoun; Pumphrey, Point Pleasant
95 Cullen, Point Pleasant; J. Lester, Shady Spring
100 Drennen, Hamilton; McCray, Blennerhassett: B.Ratliff, Ripley
105 Hereford, Point Pleasant; Porter, Blennerhassett
115 Casto, Point Pleasant; Harvey, Shady Spring
115 Ice, Hamilton
125 Munson, Blennerhassett
135 Smith, Blennerhassett
145 Lindamood, Jackson
155 Adkins, Hamilton; Norman, Edison
170 Cremeans, Cabell Midland
190 Hall, Jackson; Shirley, Point Pleasant
275 Anderson, Ripley; Davis, Edison

Thanks for a great tournament.
Brent Sams, Co-Tournament Director

January 4, 2002
comments: Hey i would like to know who the top ten teams in the state are among middle schools i heard that milton is really tough and mannington has a good team does anyone think they can rank the top ten?

January 4, 2002
comments: http://www.eteamz.com/northhills/files/tourneys.html
Pee Wee coaches, This is a good link for tourneys. Our tourney is the 19th of this month, see you there.

January 4, 2002
comments: Congrats to Jarred Garvin on his wrestling performance at wheeling duals. Keep it up. . .you look good.

January 3, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate University High for beating fairmont senior. Good Job guys and good luck!!!!!

January 3, 2002
comments: I have seen every wrestler I picked to win wrestle....including Wes Lane. I saw Lane wrestle at JIT last year, a tournament that he won. He appeared to be relying heavily on strength, and had alot of success.

January 3, 2002
comments: Morgantown's coaches moved Cappas up to 112 to face Fairmont Senior's Alan Ford (since Cappas beat him 9-6 1st match of the year) but this time Cappas was beaten down 15-2

January 3, 2002
comments: Folling Frankfort High School Wrestlers placed at Southmoreland PA Holiday Classic on Dec. 27 & 28 2001
103 Shaun Snoberger 5th
112 Ricky Shaffer 7th
119 Cody Shirey 3rd
130 Drew Myers 2nd
140 Neal Wright 6th
145 Devin Bosley 6th
Team Placed 9th out of 22

January 3, 2002
comments: Hey to answer someones question matt wright isn't wrestling for south. I was also a bit disappointed in phs not placing in the top ten but they tried thats all that maters. congrats to all the wrestlers that did well in both powerade and brecksville. Metz ,MO,and brat pack I hope ya do well always be there to cheer ya on.

January 2, 2002
comments: On the Coaches Poll: How did Wirt County get 4th when they beat Williamstown, Cameron and Calhoun?????????????
Editor's note: While I shouldn't presume to speak for the coaches, this first poll amounted to a pre-season poll. I expect an update in coming days......

January 2, 2002
comments: Congrats to South's Dye, one down! Good luck on the rest of your senior year! We are all cheering for you!

January 2, 2002
comments: First Question: Why did WVU, fresh off its 2d place finish in Las Vegas, cancel its trip to the Midlands Tournament? The weather was ok. SECOND QUESTION: I know that the Powerade Tournament is tough, but was anyone else surprised that Parkersburg did not finish in the top ten teams?

January 2, 2002
comments: good job morgantown at the wheeling duals. and good luck at winners choice

January 2, 2002
comments: To everyone making predictions, don't rule out the Beckley Woodrow Wilson wrestlers, they have some sophmores and juniors that can wrestle with anyone.

January 2, 2002
comments: Superman, I really enjoyed your picks, I enjoyed them last year too. Will you be posting final picks before the state tourney this year? I have got to see this Barbour kid everyone is talking about. I tried to see him at Wheeling but the matches I tried to watch him, he pinned his kids so fast I didn't get to see him really work. Oh yeah, you have to quote Rocky Balboa again in your final picks, that was great.

January 2, 2002
comments: Whats does South's lineup look like against Oak glen this weekend?And what does Oak glens look like.

January 2, 2002
comments: Is Matt Wright on the patriots team now does anyone have any info on this and if so what weight is he wrestling? Heard that he was but was just wondering if it was a rumor

January 2, 2002
comments: This is for Superman -- I guess you haven't paid much attention to Wes Lane. You have him picked to win it at 140, and that much is correct. But, you imply that he is only a power wrestler, and this is definately wrong. Wes is definately as strong as an ox, but he has as much technique as anyone else that i've seen. Watch some matches before you make predictions.

January 2, 2002
comments: At 103 who did Lucas Cappas lose to from Fairmont?And if so was it someone from his region/weight class?

January 2, 2002
comments: Would someone please tell me how to get to the website WVMAT....I seem to have stumbled on the Billy Barbour website(LOL)

January 2, 2002
comments: WAS AT THE WHEELING DUELS AND THE BEST MATCH I SAW WAS GARVIN AND BALLEM. GARVIN WON 1 -0. CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM AGAIN.

January 2, 2002
comments: Be careful talking up other wrestlers. Let them do their own work on the mat. He can't live up to what you say he should have to do when he has to do what he has to do by himself regardless of what you think he should do, when he is trying to do what is can do by his own doing.

January 2, 2002
comments: i want to let everyone know that several greenbrier east wrestlers performed well at the wheeling park duals. while east lost as a team, most of the boys performed well. matt vance took preston county's 125 into overtime, and patrick burns went all three rounds with fairmont senior's heavyweight who pinned him at states in 30 seconds. also, 189 jeff capaldo only lost to fairmont's jeff courtney

January 1, 2002
comments: Some of us in some locations, specifically the eastern panhandle do not have "Junior High" programs therefore our 9th graders (or freshman)have to automatically move up as they are already there. They have to practice with the team and do not get starting spots therefore do not get valuable mat time. If a coach somewhere else in the state decides that a junior high youth is exceptional and worthy to move up I would hope that he would take into consideration the wrestler would need to have a starting spot and would see the mat time necessary to make the move a positive one. Instead leave him/her down on the junior high team instead of making him/her some varsity wrestler's play toy. Also we all know that Superman is not affiliated with any of the schools he listed and he does in fact bleed black and orange....

January 1, 2002
comments: Congrats to Blane Mayle for winning his 100th match at the Wheeling Duals. We are very proud of you and will be cheering for you at states!

January 1, 2002
comments: Independence Results from Capital Challenge
103 Snuffer 4th
125 Sexton 3rd
145 Wood 2nd
189 Barnette 2nd
275 Whitlock 6th
Team 9th

January 1, 2002
comments: I seen D. Hayes at wheeling and they didt really wrestle anyone but Carolten. I think the team had a losing record there and didnt even finish top ten. Billy Barbour seems to look strong this year but, it looks like he is still winded in his matches. Darren looks tough and so does Futten, I saw The Futten and Hayes match as well. Futten was defeated by Hayes. So, from my point of view I think it can go either way in the long winter day. Hayes isnt wrestling 140 either i see people putting him in the top six at 140 but, he wrestles 152. I also witnessed the match at states last year against Hayes and Barbour and it was a one point desicion. So, I think it can go any way it just comes down to who works harder and wants it!

January 1, 2002
comments: the match i would most like to see at the JIT would be wes lane against codie gustines(not kessler). nobody is even paying attention to gustines this year. look for him to place in the top 4 at states this year only behind gibbs, lane, and mayle. at winners choice we could see gustines and mayle wrestle and also the top two contenders at 135 chantz griffith and mitch smith could meet for the first time.

January 1, 2002
email: chertow@olympianwrestling.com
comments: Winter Break Training Camp was a big success! It was good to see so many dedicated WV boys make the trip to State College. In addition to 2x Olympic Champion, Bruce Baumgartner, the kids got to learn from Olympians from Russia and Hungary, as well as Penn State NCAA Champions, John Fritz, Jim Martin and John Hughes. I will be coming to watch this year's WV State Tournament while visiting my parents. I look forward to seeing some great competition. One of my most memorable WV States was watching Doug Moore and Mike Mason pursue State Titles as freshman. Doug and Mike grew up attending my camps consistently, so it was particulalry exciting to see them pursue their boyhood goal. Two more boys who have grown up attending my camps, Mitch Smith and Anthony Easter, will contend for AAA State Titles as freshman. These guys are special to me because in addition to working with them at my camps since 1994, I was able to spend a few years training them year-round during pee-wee. The nucleus of boys I trained in pee-wee are now high school age, so I am excited to see Anthony and Mitch along with their brothers, Matt Easter and Matt Smith, and Robbie Ripley, Jacob Frerichs, and Chris Gibbs contend for State Titles. Wishing all WV Wrestlers, Coaches and Parents a happy and successful New Year!
Ken Chertow WV/USA Olympian

January 1, 2002
comments: After reading over the forum, I think I'll add my wisdom to each of the current discussions.

I'm disappointed to hear that Easter is dropping to 119, I think the Match with Metz would have been great,

I agree with Supermans picks, I originially thought Cappas would take 103, but seeing his loss to the 112 from Fairmont, I would have to lean toward Easter.

I also noticed that someone wonders why Barbour is getting the push over Hayes, when Hayes beat him twice last year. First , Barbour is Superman's "protege", so He's gonna pick him to win no matter what. Second, I took the time to see Billy wrestle a couple of times this year, and He looked really, really , really good. And when I think of good , I think of Dan Gable, John Smith, and Dave Shultz. I haven't seen anybody stop his shots, or even come close. He also has this short offense thing He goes for, I think I heard the guys calling it "the Famasser", or something. The match I saw him lose against North Hagerstown, the guy he wrestled was good, super buff, but Barbour put him on his back and the ref didn't even give him a takedown. It was really bad officiating. Also Barbour got headbutted , and for some reason turned his back and tried to walk out the ring, then the kid shot on him from behind and took him down. I think Billy could beat him, if they went at it again.

As for the word "sucks",...I think such gutter language has no place in civilized conversation. If the schools would teach "The Queens English", we wouldn't have to deal with the besmirchment of the English language by rebellious youths.

January 1, 2002
comments: dont everyone forget about dustin householder from jefferson only one person has picked him to place. he got 2nd at regionals last year and would have gotten 3rd if he wouldnt have been ejected before his consolation final match. he will wrestle his first matches this weekend at the JIT. and will possibly meet Starsick at the winners choice.

January 1, 2002
comments: can anyone tell me why in the "Who's who among weight classes" there are no Blennerhassett kids but they are rated #1 in the state?

January 1, 2002
comments: On the topic of if a junior high wrestler should move up, Cabell Midland has 9th-12th grade, so I see nothing wrong with 9th graders wrestling varsity.

January 1, 2002
comments: i just want to say that East Fairmont did a great job last weekend at wheeling. I dont know why they gave 2nd place to Buckeye when East only lost to carrolton by 3 points and buckeye was shut out. I want congratulate Brandon Geary and Robert Barns For having 8 wins and for Satterfield and futten for having 7 wins and i think noechel did a great job this weekend feeling in for geary. Keep it up kid! I also think Caoch Geary and Adam Boyers did a great job.

January 1, 2002
comments: Let's say that at the start of the season you have two kids that weigh close to the same weight, and that you need both of them in the lineup. And one kid goes to a lower weight even though he can beat the other one. He does so at the urging of the coaching staff because it is "For the good of the team." Now, because of the body fat deal that is well known of in the gossip circles .....
Some things need to change, "for the good of the team!" Here they are:
1. The head coach needs to take control and do what he thinks has to be done, period.
2. The head coach needs to close practice and wrestle offs to parents and fans.
3. The head coach needs to un-list his phone number so that he won't be so influenced by parents.
4. The head coach needs to set the rules in stone so that they cannot be changed at the convenience of the parents.
Editor's note: Well, this was a long and thoughtful post that someone took a lot of time to compose. I hate to just delete it with no comment. I'm getting a torrent of posts on this situation, and it is all getting pretty personal. I choose not to air all this dirty laundry on this forum. Sorry.

January 1, 2002
comments: There is a deadline in Wood County,set by the principals. And if you check, a player in the NFL has to be on the team roster, to be able to move up, same with a baseball team, they can only pull from their own farm team, so I still see it my way! With poker, a Jr High kid passes on a chance at the big table if they miss the deadline in Wood County. Rules are rules!

January 1, 2002
comments: I would like to know who's HYPE Billy Barbour is living up to?????????

January 1, 2002
We are looking for used wrestling mats. Not full sized, just 12x12 or around that size. Also, where is a good place to purchase warm-ups with lettering for team? We are located in southern part of the state. Thanks for your help. Linda Phillips

January 1, 2002
comments: to the dogfan....i dont know where you got that u guys took third at wheeling park or if that was a prediction .. but it cant be true.. east fairmont lost to the team that won which was Carroliton.. only by three points...and thats only because they didnt have an 189 pounder..from 140 to heavyweight the bees crushed them..pinning everyone..they won more matches over all..so if anyone has the real results then please post them..

January 1, 2002
comments: i think that tony blosser from university has a big change to win the 275 weigth class at ncac and regions and states he should be ranked 4 or higher in his weigth class

January 1, 2002
comments: To the patriot or something like that. I see how you have futten as your second placer. As you may have noticed, Darren Hayes is really underated. He defeated Futten 6-2 at wheeling. And I see that someone else has Hayes at 140. heh. Hayes is wrestling 152 and looks tough very tough. Also, Billy Barbour is wrestling 152 and I think he will suprise someone too! Now Superman I dont know about Barbour taking the whole thing but, hey stuff can happen.

January 1, 2002
Event: Brecksville Holiday Tournament
Comments: Complete results can be found on Gimp's Download Page at http://www.hometown.aol.com/gimpeltf/CJ99.html

January 1, 2002
comments: It appears that Easter is comming down to 119 for good.

January 1, 2002
comments: u know this the one thing i hate about this websit is how everyone has to get on here and brag about how good they are, i think that sucks, the really good people dont have to brag and thats the truth cause they just go out ther and win baby
Editor's note: This post brings up a good question: Is the word "sucks" to describe something, such as, "That movie sucked" considered acceptable language in polite company? I looked it up in the on-line dictionary and, lo and behold, Merriam Webster has it right there, graduated from the catergory of obscese or vulgar to slang at worst.

3 : to act in an obsequious manner [when they want votes... the candidates come sucking around -- W. G. Hardy] [sucked up to the boss]
4 slang : to be objectionable or inadequate [our lifestyle sucks -- Playboy] [people who went said it sucked -- H. S. Thompson]

One sees this word as a descriptor being used more and more in the mainstream media as if it has somehow made the transition from gutter language to acceptability. What's the word from the classroom teachers out there? Will that word get you in trouble in school?

January 1, 2002
comments: I'm thinking D. Hays went undefeated at Wheeling and beat Barbour twice last year. What am I missing?

January 1, 2002
comments: When will Bosely from South be back in the line up?

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page