West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2003 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 9, 2003
comments: I dont know who keeps underestimating Mark Smith from Greenbrier West but you will soon find out that you all have been underestimating him very badly he will take states at 171 in AA.

January 9, 2003
comments: Jud Billings will win 103. not all of us in the northern panhandle are clueless about the good freshman talent from the hotbed of wv wrestling.

January 9, 2003
comments: Casey Hughes wrestled in the semis at states last year on an injured knee. before his injury at OVAC's. he had not lost in state an hd claimed victories over Dye(3rd @135) 17-5 and Leach (THE STATE CHAMP) by a 5-2 score. so yeah i think he would have won being healthy. so to rate him 10th is ridiculous. he has a state title already, which 8 out of the 9 u rated ahead of him do not. Now Casey if you read this, you are not the 10th best wrestler in the state and its time to start proving it. please prove these ludacris predictions untrue.

Norman is ahead of Evans because Norman has already beat Wharton and I believe he placed at Ironman? You must have never been to Parkersburg states because he has been a champ for years. Anyone remember Kyle Walters last year? Yeah he wasn't supposed to be there but guess what? Parkersburg South just reloaded and he shocked everyone in WV outside of Wood County. I like Norman right now. Gustines made it to the finals last year,so I gve him the nod for experience. Hope Mr. Evans proves me wrong. Wish them all the best.

January 9, 2003
comments: dose anyone have predictions for 215 AAA

January 9, 2003
comments: best wrestlers in the state is a toss up between mitch smith and brandon rader....but PHS is gonna take the state title this year no doubt. PHS # 1

January 9, 2003
comments: To the person that is predicting Hunt from Hundred over Pete Hashman from St. Marys you need to watch some more matches because Pete dominated his way through the Tyler County Wrestle A Bout in which Hundred was in attendance. Pete pinned his way thoughout the day pinning one 215 pounder in 6 seconds and did not wrestle out of the first period.

January 9, 2003
comments: Brookie: Sorry man,I got carried away by the Tiny,little brain thing(probably true!) and talking out the pooper comment(opinions can do that to ya).I even wrote doc and asked him why he put your post on here.Hey...I'm 50 years old too(South 1970)and I refuse to grow up!I knew you were a Brooke fan and I enjoy watching them wrestle and glad to see their program making a strong comeback.I really don't know if South/Oak Glen are on for next year but I hope so.I only said "dominate" because South really is young and talented(as is PHS).I do respect OG's program and they are fun to watch.Very talented too and coach Shaw is an awesome coach(6 in a row)! I have only missed one state tourney since 1970,so look me up and say howdy.I have identified myself on here before,just ask for Gator in the South crowd and they will point you in the right direction.Good luck to you too"Brookie"!

January 9, 2003
comments: Congrats to North Marion for defeating Buchannon. Nice to beat someone who has beaten you earlier in the year. Hard work does pay off. We got pins where expected and fought hard and didn't get pinned in other matches. Good Luck in Nitro!!

January 9, 2003
comments: In regards to the best wrestler in the state, I would have to go with Rader from Parkersburg. He is a college coach's dream and he is only a sophmore. He has won a state title and dominated the strongest region and weight-class in the state. His ability to compete with the big boys at Powerade, Beast of the East, and the Ironman speak for themselves. He also has an intensity that I have rarely seen in WV wrestling. I am not even a PHS wrestling fan... just really enjoy good wrestling.

January 9, 2003
comments: Does anyone know who won most outstanding wrestler at Wheeling Park Duels?
Editor's note: Bertolino from Buckeye Local

January 9, 2003
comments: To info man: just to let you know W.I.N. Magazine has WVU 9 and Cornell 10, The Wrestling Mall has WVU 8 and Cornell 17, and Intermat has WVU 6 and Cornell 8. FYI.
Getting into the meat of the season, stay healthy and keep on the grades.

January 9, 2003
comments: Ohio University will wrestle Eastern Michigan Friday, Jan. 10 at 7:00PM at Athens. Former PHS wrestler Matt Stevens will be representing the Bobcats at 125.

January 9, 2003
comments: south wrestling fan.......not sour grapes dude..i'm from brooke not OG, again..."How many state titles in a row for PSouth?"
personally i root for brooke of course BUT i enjoy watching all the wrestlers. domination against OG just ain't gonna happen, i don't care how young your team is. the whole state has been producing strong talented wrestlers not just south. individual state and OVAC champs can pop out of any school and no one school will produce all the champs. south does have a strong young team and i wish them well. i'm not much for predictions but in my opinion there are very few "locks" at state champion levels. i've stated on here before that one of my favorite things to watch is a finals match when it's PHS vs. South, so you see i'm just a good wrestling fan. as for "grow up man."......i'm 50 years old and i refuse to grow up !!! GOOD LUCK to your south team & i'll see ya in hunnington!

January 9, 2003
comments: Chris Satterfield is attending Fairmont State and playing baseball. He helps out every once and a while at East and helping w/ Delligatti from West. Who recieved a shoulder injury and may not be able to wrestle this year and have surgery.

January 9, 2003
comments: i think the 119 class whiteman from hundred will take it all the way. he is undefeated this year and he is looking very strong.

the 215 class hunt shoulod give hashman a run for his money. hunt is looking very strong this year for his 2nd year in wrestling he is looking very good i thnk he will take states.

January 9, 2003
comments: Tim Cashdollar is out for the season with a broken clavicle. But if he was still in the lineup...

1. Tim Cashdollar (hands down)
2. Ray Burge
3. Chris Miller
4. Mark Smith
5. Lee Lauderman
6. Jaimie Moore
I dont see how you could have ranked him that low in this weight class.

January 9, 2003
comments: predictions and comments:

103: Its likely that the top four could be juggled by March 1st.
1. Robert Rash
2. Bryan Gungle
3. Judd Billing
4. Brandon Miller
5. Tim Cumpston
6. ?????

112: This is a pretty descent weight class this year. The outcome should be exciting considering the fact that the returning 103 pound champion and the third place winners at 103 and 112 from last year are fighting for the gold.
1. Anthony Valles
2. Justin Goneau
3. Matt Morris
4. Josh Neal
5. Todd Bragg
6. Shawn Snowberger

119: Snuffer is pretty tough, dominating this weight class i wouldnt doubt. keep an eye on Clark. You may see him on the finals...
1. Bryan Snuffer
2. Daniel Whiteman
3. Jessie Biddle
4. Brandon Clark
5. TJ Glass
6. Perry Ellis

125: As always, this is one of the toughest places to be this year. With 2 returning champions and a returning runner-up this weight class should be action packed. Keep an eye on Shane Wright. His match with Shane Grogg was a fairly good one until the third period.
1. Justin Ashley
2. Casey Biddle
3. Daniel Allen
4. Noah Oneil
5. Dustin Bartug
6. Alex Northcraft / Shane Wright

130: I think freshman Jessie Mayhan should come out on top this year.
1. Jessie Mayhan
2. Derek Scarbro
3. Brian Mills
4. ???
6. ???

January 9, 2003
comments: To the person questioning how a wrestler can join a team at some point later in the season: The answer is, he certainly can. Eligibility is determined by the previous semester GPA. Academic eligibility is regained after one 9wks grade period. At the point where the minimum 2.0 GPA is determined to be earned the athlete can begin practicing. He must have the required 14 practices before he can compete, and he must make the base weight at his first weigh-in. I have a wrestler on my team that went through this very process. These rules are the same as they have been for quite some time now.

January 9, 2003
comments: An athlete can become eligible when grades come out for the semester (ironically, the winter sports are also the only ones affected adversely... if an athlete begins a fall or spring sport, they are assured of finishing that season without academic disqualification)

The student-athlete must wait to compete until grades are issued or verified to insure eligibility standards were met. They may, however, begin practice 3 weeks prior to the conclusion of the semester in anticipation of gaining eligibility, thus fulfilling the 14 practice requirement and being ready to begin once the standards have been met.

(Note- 14 practices must occur on 14 separate days and no Sundays allowed)
There is no minimum # of matches to be eligible for regional competition. The wrestler must make base weight.

January 9, 2003
comments: This comment goes back to the comment made Jan.6 from Hedgesvillefanm.Obviously you were wrong..... last night at the Hedgesville-Willaimsport match Danny Lord got a foreit!!!!Hewitt matched up with Troy Foltz and only one 6-2. Foltz put a great effot in his match,to bad he didn't win.Better luck next time Foltz!Overall,Hedg.won 42-36 and everyone did a Great Job! Good Luck to all this weekend at Jefferson Inv.!!!!!! One more thing,could Hewitt's weight have been 145 all along,and not 152??

January 9, 2003
comments: Valentine (EF) defeated Phalen (Rip) 7-1 at Wheeling Park...

January 9, 2003
comments: With all due respect i have wrestled hughes and i have wrestled Morris, and infact they have both beat me. But morris is a whole nother world of intense you should look at the differece in skill and strength.

January 9, 2003
comments:

AA predicitions
103                                            145
1. rash (indy)                             1. flowers (og)
2. gungle (cal)                            2. metz (cal)
3. billings (rav)                          3. knott (point)
112                                            152
1. morris (brax)                           1. bosley (frank)  
2. valles (madonna)                        2. morris (cal) 
3. Neal   (shady)                          3. tracewell (will)
119                                        4. wharton (og)
1. clark (berkley springs)                 5. hughes (cam)
2. biddle (wil)                                160
3. snuffer (indy)                          1. smith (will)
4. whiteman (hund)                         2. stewart (brax)
(tossup)                                   3. mason (berkley)
125                                            171
1. ashley (cal)                            1. burge (cal) 
2. biddle (will)                           2. smith (gw)
3. allen (wirt)                            3. cashdollar (og)
130                                        4. moore (berkley)
1. scarbro (shady)                             189
2. mills   (indy)                          1. efaw (graf) 
3. mccoy (point)                           2. clark(berkley)
4. smith (wirt)                            3. ward (indy)
135                                        4. tincher(gw)
1. myers (frank)                                215
2. howrylak (win)                          1. hashman (st m)  
3. lobis (rit)                             2. whitehil (og)
140                                             275
1. duncan (point)                          1. fegal (weir) 
2. elder (will)                            2. mcgillian(og) 
3. dye  (wirt)                             3.crookshanks(gw)
                                           4.roberts (trail)

January 9, 2003
comments: for all the "censoring" you do, that was a pretty bad post that you let on: "From: old skool comments: whoever changed the predictions from 7/3 i think is wrong about a couple things "not going to say" but if you think that gungle will place in the top three it just shows how weak the weight class is" saying that a weight class is weak because someone predicted someone to finish that high. i am surprised it got through

January 9, 2003
comments: Congrats to Point Pleasant Middle School for their duel win over Blenerhassett. Thats huge for them. Their 9th grade team is ranked 1st and 14th over all. They only have 4 wreslters!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL

January 9, 2003
comments: Have the session times been released for the 2003 state tournament? The "State Tournament Schedule" link shows the times for the 2001 tournament.

January 9, 2003
comments: It is interesting that the Jr. High page ranks Blennerhassett ahead of Park who beat them in their own backyard ! What do the non Wood County Junior High teams have to do to prove themselves. You travel to Wood county to wrestle their events, beat them, and still are ranked below them. The poll is a joke !

January 9, 2003
comments: The WEBCAST for the Virginia Duals is
http://www.ncwa.net/live/matches/Hampton_Coliseum_Virginia_Duals_main.shtml .
South will be wrestling at 11AM friday morning.
The Virginia duals Main Page link is http://www.vaduals.org/.

January 9, 2003
comments: not to take anything away from cornell or matt but they are ranked 20th, not 4th. WVU is 11th right now. but congratulations matt on goin to a GREAT school! and good luck this year on number 4!

January 9, 2003
comments: Could someone please clarify something for me. If a wrestler was ineligible for the first part of the season due to grades is he/she able to come back part way through the season after new grades come out. The marking period ends January 17th. Do they have to wait until report cards come out? If they can come out to wrestle how many practices must they attend first and what other stipulations are there? What about weight certification? Do they need so many matches to go to regionals? Must they wrestle down at season beginning scratch weight before getting the 2 pound growth allowance? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
Editor's note: I'll post your question for thought, but I'm sure you'll agree that the school coach, principal or other school official has the last word on this issue....

January 9, 2003
comments: whoever changed the predictions from 7/3 i think is wrong about a couple things "not going to say" but if you think that gungle will place in the top three it just shows how weak the weight class is

January 9, 2003
comments: Can someone post the teams that will be at the Jefferson Invite this week. Thank You in advance

January 9, 2003
comments: Chris Satterfield has been bareley seen, in both, the East and West side wrestling rooms. Nothing consistent, just doing his own thing. As for the question regarding Joey Mayle..... YES, he is an assistant coach for East Fairmont along with Adam Boyers. John Geary is still the head coach.

January 9, 2003
comments: how is lance hines of braxton county doing. i noticed the last few people who have submitted predictions have skipped over him... is he still at 140?

January 9, 2003
comments: hey how about some predictions for the AAA state tournament??

January 9, 2003
comments: Everybody keeps giving predictions at 152, but keep forgetting Cody Norman of Parkersburg South. He's only a freshman but is turning heads in the state. Just ask the senior at Oak Glen. Norman is for real.

January 9, 2003
comments: Congratulations to Sam Dennis and Judd Billings for your victories at the JCI's, and also to Ryan Chambers for placing. I would like to thank Coach Satterfield for his hard work in helping to build the Ravenswood Wrestling Program. Good luck to the Middle School Team this weekend. I know you all will do well. Go get 'em Demons!!

January 8, 2003
comments: Forget about the Edison- Blenerhassett rankings debate, Park beat Blenerhassett head to head at the Clash.

January 8, 2003
comments: To whoever was posting to Yordan on the 152 picks. I can understand placing Lord and Bliss 1 and 2 at 152 AAA. What I can't understand is how you rank Evans from Woodrow Wilson 5th. I believe that Norman and Gustines are very good wrestlers and deserve to be mentioned.They are however Underclassmen who have never wrestled in the AAA High School State Tournament. Evans finished 5th last year in this weight class (which may have been the toughest in the state) and I believe he has proven himself. Last season some great wrestlers didn't even place in this division. Placements were:
1.Walters- P. South
2.George- J. Marshall
3.Hayes- North marion
4.Futten- E. Fairmont
5.Evans- Woodrow Wilson
6.Sayre- Ripley

Not placing:
M.Casto- Nitro
M.Warner- Point Pleasant
So how about a little respect for EVANS !

January 8, 2003
comments: Satterfeild was helping west until Delligatti got hurt but who know where he is at now

January 8, 2003
comments: Seems like Easter made a great choice. In the Jan 7 issue of WIN magazine Cornell is now ranked #4 in Div.I wrestling. WVU has fallen to 13th after its poor showing at the Midlands due to having a number of injured wrestlers.

January 8, 2003

Judd Billings (Rav)
Robert Rash (Ind)
Bryan Gungle (Cal)

Matt Morris (Brax)
Anthony Valles (Mad)
Justin Goneau (OG)

Brandon Clark (BS)
Daniel Whiteman (Hun)
Jesse Biddle (Will)

Justin Ashley(Cal)
Casey Biddle(Will)
Daniel Allen(Wirt)

Derek Scarbro (SS)
Brian Mills (Ind)
Jason McCoy (PP)

Drew Myers (Frank)
Joey Lobis (Rit)
Nick Russell (PP)

Nick Duncan (PP)
Ryan Elder (Will)
Matt Dye (Wirt)

Steve Flowers (OG)
Eric Metz (Cal)
Sam Dennis (Rav)

Jeff Morris(Cal)
Casey Hughes(Cam)
Matt Wharton(OG)

Shane Smith (Will)
Andy Stewart(Brax)
Matt Mason(BS)

Ray Burge (Cal)
Mark Smith (GW)
Buster Carico (Lib)

Josh Clark (BS)
Trampus Efaw (Graf)
Robert Ward (Ind)

Pete Hashman (StM)
Bill Whitehill (OG)
Tyler Bridgette (Sis)

Patrick McGillian (OG)
Andy Fegal (Weir)
Maynor Crookshanks (GW)

January 8, 2003
comments: how's this grab all you predictors, Mcintosh from OG placed below Walker from East Liverpool, losing to him at Brooke (i think) Kelly Hughes of Cameron pinned Walker. Food for thought....

January 8, 2003
comments: What are some opinions on the AA-A 103 through 130?

January 8, 2003
comments: Is Chris Satterfeld from East Fairmont helping East Fairmont or Fairmont Senior? I heard that he was helping both but i wasnt for sure i figure he would have stuck to his alma mater!!!And is Joey Mayle coaching at East now? Someones correct response would be appreciated! Thank You The GURU

January 8, 2003
comments: to the person who said something about my picks on Hughes...yeah he was a state champ as a freshman....but as a sophomore he was 6th...hmmm....and he has moved up alot of weight......THAT IS WHY HE IS 10th

January 8, 2003
comments: I think when u get to a really good tourny such as Winners Choice Williamstown will out score Point Pleasent by at least 20 pts

January 8, 2003
comments: How can Edison be so far ahead of Blenn.in the rankings? They are 1 AND 1 this year. PS:when Edison won it was by 1 pt. and Blenn. had 3 starters out.

January 8, 2003
comments: I am looking for the best youth folkstyle tournaments in the country. Can someone help with the information and/or a website to search?

January 8, 2003
comments: it seems that everyone is only gettin four peopler for 215 and i think rounding up your last two could be justin bishop of herbert hoover and tyler bridgette of sissonville.

January 8, 2003
comments: Who won between Phalen (Rip)and Valentine (EF) in their dual last month?

January 8, 2003
comments: Weird how u can rank a former freshman state champ (Hughes) only 10th in a weight class in WV. Have you ever watched him wrestle?
As for my 152 picks:
AAA
1- Lord (Hed)
2- Bliss(Brk)
3- Norman(PS)
4- Gustines(Jeff)
5- Evans (WW)
6- George(Prk)/ Adkins(JM)
Lord gets the nod here because he has the champion match exprience under his belt already and may be the biggest 152 in the state. A much improved Bliss should wind up second just edging newcomer Codi Norman from South. Gustines could find himself in the mix there between 1 and 3 but as of right now, i have him 4th b/c the other 3 kids are on fire.
AA-A
1-Hughes (Cam)
2-Wharton(OG)
3-Bosley(Frank)
4-Morris(Cal)
5-Tracewell(Will)
6-Efaw(Graf)/4th place region 1 qualifier
Hughes is the only champ out of the field and if he gets back in a groove, he is the man to beat.... although look for Devin Bosley as a dark horse to win the class . He holds a 2-2 rideout victory over Hughes this season and wrestled AAA #1 Lord to a 3-2 match. May be the most improved wrestler in AA. Wharton and Morris both have state exp. so i figure they should contend.

January 8, 2003
comments: Point would beat Willamstown head-to-head...period. And for the 215 at the JCI's, it went as followed:
1. Hashman (St. Mary's)
2. Graily (St. Albans)
3. Casto (Ripley)
4. Tench (PP)
5. Brigett? Bridgett?! (Sissonville)
6. Watson (Roane)

January 8, 2003
comments: Thank goodness the wrestlers are better sportsman than the adults who use this forum. I am so sick of the jealousy toward Parkersburg South and Oak Glen. These teams have had great programs through the years. It's because they work hard and have the discipline needed from their coaches. If you want to rank at the top with them, maybe your teams should up-grade their program standards and not expect these two schools to come down a notch. As for states, I have been there and want to say that every wrestler who has made it should be proud of their accomplishments. As for the fans, that's another story. It is embarrassing to watch the adults sit in the stands and boo against the boys from PS and OG. Would you want you son booed. Think about it. I'm sure you wouldn't. Those boys have feelings just like your son. If your son ends up wrestling someone from PS or OG and would happen to lose, try setting a good example. Cheer for the winner and then be proud of your son for doing his best. That's what PS and OG do, win or lose. Good luck to all the wrestlers who make it to states. This is one fan who will be proud of you, no matter if you are first or last or what school you are from. Grow up people and start setting that higher standard by your actions.

January 8, 2003
comments: to whoever posted the predictions on all the wieght classes on jan-7th-03. pretty good rankings. just 2 things that i saw. one is that u have a myers abover lobis which is right considering he beat em, but why put lobis above howrylak of winfield? another is at the 103 wieght class u put billings(sissonvile)under gungle of calhoun , gungle is a great wrestle and will be in the top three this year but i believe billings pinned him at ritchie county. just thought you'd like to know. well alright more than 2 things. i believe bartrug will take oniel at 125 and snuffer even though undefeated , i doubt he'll be number 1 in that wieght class , maybe he'll make it to the finals , guess we'llhave to watch and see! keep trainin guys and keep your eyes on states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

January 7, 2003
comments: Stricker from Herbert Hoover has, i believe, only lost one match so far this year. He has looked tough when i have seen him, dominating most of his opponents

January 7, 2003
comments: It seems that most people can only generate 4 215 place winners. You might want to consider Tyler Bridgette of Sissonsville. He looked rather impressive at Jackson County.

January 7, 2003
comments: Brookie: You call my comments rude and you say I have a tiny,liitle mind and talk out my pooper?!?! I say this to you...let the domination begin(again) because South is very young this year! You sound like sour grapes to me. Grow up man!

January 7, 2003
comments: 275 at Jackson
1 Ty Phalen (Rip)
2 Maynor Crookshanks (GW)
3 TJ Richards (Riv)
4 David Wojo (Riv-B)
5 Jacob Lowe (Wirt)
6 Bobby Loar (StM)
Harrison from Liberty did not wrestle.

January 7, 2003
1.Patrick McGIllian(OG)
2.Andy Fegal(Weir)
3.Maynor Crookshanks(GW)
4.Bishop or Anderson from(HH)
depending on who is wrestling
5.Justin Whitlock(Indy)
6.Lincoln Harrison(Lib.R)

1.Pete Hashman(St.Marys)
2.Bill Whitehill(OG)
3.Travis Boone(Rit)
4.Hunt(Hund)

1.Josh Clark(B.Springs)
2.Trampus Efaw(Graf)
3.Robert Ward(Indy)
4.Chad Tincher(G.West)
5.Cody Potts(OG)
6.Joey Moore(S.Harrison)

1.Ray Burge(Cal)
2.Mark Smith(G.West)
3.Buster Carrico(Lib.R.)
4.Jamie Moore(B.Springs)
5.Lee Lauderman(Will)
6.Tim Cashdollar(OG)

1.Shane Smith(Will)
2.Andy Stewart(Brax)
3.Matt Mason(B.Springs)
4.Garette Railing(OG)

1.Jeff Morris(Cal)
2.Devin Bosley(Frank)
3.Casey Hughes(Cam)
4.Matt Wharton(OG)
5.Alan Tracewell(Will)
6.Kevin Efaw(Graf)

1.Eric Metz(Cal)
2.Steve Flowers(OG)
3.Nott(Point)
4.Sam Dennis(Ravens)
5.Dustin Miller(Wirt)
6.Daniel Abner(Indy)
i think this kid could make some noise
later this season

1.Matt Dye(Wirt)
2.Ryan Elder(Will)
3.Duncan(Point)
4.Ian Whittington(OG)
5.Paul Goodrich(Cal)
6.Shawn Garland(OH)

1.Drew Myers(Frank)
2.Joey Lobis(Rit)
3.Matt Howrylak(Win)
4.Sean McIntosh(OG)
5.Tim McCoy(Wirt)
6.Russell(Point)

1.Brain Mills(Indy)
2.Derek Scarbro(Shady)
3.Jeremy Smith(Wirt)
4.McCoy(Point)
5.Dankovchik(Weir)
6.Anthony Dimarco(Will)

1.Justin Ashley(Cal)
2.Casey Biddle(Will)
3.Daniel Allen(Wirt)
4.Noah Oneil(Cam)
5.Dustin Bartrug(St.Marys)
6.Alex Northcraft(Tyler)

1.Bryan Snuffer(Indy)
2.Brandon Clark(B.Springs)
3.Daniel Whiteman(Hundred)
4.Jesse Biddle(Will)
5.Perry Ellis(Wahama)
6.Justin Hawkins(Lib.R.)

1.Anthony Valles(Madonna)
2.Matt Morris(Brax)
3.Josh Neal(Shady)
4.Justin Goneau(OG)
5.Shawn Snowberger(Frank)
6.Todd Bragg(Indy)

1.Robert Rash(Indy)
2.Bryan Gungle(Cal)
3.Judd Billing(Ravens)
4.Tim Cumpston(Cam)
5.Brandon Miller(OG)
6.Lester(Shady)

January 7, 2003
comments: I WOULD LIKE TO COMMEND THE WIRT COUNTY WRESTLING TEAM FOR THEIR PERFORMANCE AT THE TRI STATE MIDDLE SCHOOOL CHAMPIONSHIPS THIS PAST WEEKEND AT POINT PLEASANT. THE TEAM CONSISTS OF ONLY SEVEN MEMBERS AND HAD SIX WRESTLERS COMPETE AND STILL WAS A CONTENDER PLACING IN THE TOP TEN!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE!!!!

January 7, 2003
comments: I see where the jr. polls are supposed to be updated but still i only see last year's final standings.
Editor's note: Hmmm, looks OK from here. Try hitting your refresh icon.....

January 7, 2003
comments: will somebody please post the JCI results i would like to see the 275 pound class

January 7, 2003
comments: to the south fan who stated "let the domination begin"....if in your tiny little mind you think that ANY team will dominate a coach shaw OG team year after year.......WAKE UP ....YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY DREAMING!!!!!!. not to mention that comment was rude and unsportsman like. south did have a decisive victory THIS time, but, have some respect as next year may be a different story. how many times in a row did PSouth take the state title. excuse me but i don't like it when unidentified fans talk out their "pooper". Bob from BROOKE !!!

January 7, 2003
comments: WHAT TEAMS ARE GONNA BE AT THE JEFFERSON INVITATIONAL FRIDAY AND SATURDAY????????

January 7, 2003
comments: This comment is for the forum. I would like to respond to the person who asked how Chapman from Shady Spring High will do, I believe he will most definitely place at State's this year. He's a terrific wrestler. So are all the wrestlers from Shady! They each have something to offer as a team. With many being sophmores, I am anxious to see how the coming years will unfold. One thing to remember, each wrestler is only as good as their competion.

January 7, 2003
comments: Thanks, Coach LeMasters for the kind words concerning Coach Jarvis at Spencer. He's quite the gentleman coach and I also appreciate his effort when he sees a situation that should be rememdied. I also remember the days that he was quite the "head-hunter" at GSC when he played football. Coach Jarvis, Coach Toby and Bruce, their great athletic trainer, rank at the top of my book.

January 7, 2003
comments: i attended the ritchie county jr tournamant this past weekend and i would like to comment on the behavior of some parents and coaches.i know this has been brought up before but please remember that these are kids and they should be applauded for even participating.i doubt many of these parents have the courage that it takes a 8yr old to go out the and wrestle kids from all around the state.second i would like to say to a wrestler i believe it was 7-8 yr old unlimited.i watched your match and didnt realize until to late you had no coach at matside but only your mother.you should keep your head held high and keep plugging along.dont be discouraged at having a bad day.there have been many champions that started that way.wrestling isnt about natural talent.it is mostly guts determination and courage.all of which i think you have.good luck.

January 7, 2003
comments: To Tex: Point might have beaten some Williamstown kids in head to head matches but they still did the job and the B-team people have nothing to do with who is better. Congrats to Williamstown for getting it done. To Tex If and buts were candy and nuts what a wonderful christmas it would be. They were BBBBBBB teamers not starters. Plus Quality will place you more points in State.

January 7, 2003
comments: Can anyone tell me what time JIT starts Friday???

January 7, 2003
email: gerri1953@hotmail.com
comments: trying to get info on how the two wrestlers from richwood who were injured at the grb. east duals (on sat.) are doing. hope they are both recovering and can continue with their season. as a parent of a wrestler, it is painful to see anyone taken out by ambulance. you are both in my prayers for a full, swift recovery.

January 7, 2003
comments: Point vs. Willamstown. It would be great and yes Point beat them head-to-head at the JCI's, and quantity IS better than quality. I just found out two of Point's placers were B teamers, and as any wrestling fan knows, B teamers can't get you points for the team. So, if the B teamers were A teamers...Point beats Willamstown by alot more than eight points.

January 6, 2003
comments: Good luck this weekend Flying Eagles ! Make a little noise at Nitro.

January 6, 2003
comments: Another comment on the attendance at the OG/South match. Both of OG's basketball teams - girls and boys/Varsity and JV - had games on Saturday as well. Even though it was a nice following for South, it wasn't as large as two years ago. (And neither was Oak Glen's.) While I agree the OG/South match can stand on its own, it is a long trip (about 3-hours) for only one dual, especially when there are no JV matches (which there were the last two years). I hope they renew the series after next year, but I'd like to see it become a tri-match or a quad...

January 6, 2003
comments: For all you WV youth wrestlers who wrestle in Pa. (SS Beaver; Waynesburg etc) alot of your names and results are posted at www.pennyslvaniayouthwrestling.freeservers.com. Bookmark it.

January 6, 2003
comments: Efaw wresltes for grafton not morgantown

January 6, 2003
comments: CODIE GUSTINES (WHO FINISHED SECOND AT STATE LAST YEAR AT 140) IS A JUNIOR THIS YEAR AND IS BACK AT 140. CORIE GUSTINES, A FRESHMAN IS AT 152. THERE ARE ACTUALLY MORE THAN TWO GUSTINES' WRESTLERS. COLTON GUSTINES, AN EIGHTH GRADER, WRESTLES AT CHARLES TOWN MIDDLE SCHOOL AT 90/95/100???. HE WILL BE A GREAT ASSET TO THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM NEXT YEAR AT 103. THERE IS STILL ONE MORE BROTHER, COLIN GUSTINES. HE IS ONLY 7 YEARS OLD. I AM CONFIDENT THAT THE GUSTINES BROTHERS WILL COMPETE WELL AT THE STATE TOURNAMENT. GOOD LUCK TO THE GUSTINES BROTHERS AND THE JEFFERSON HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING TEAM.

January 6, 2003
comments: where can i get the full results of the jackson county invitational??

January 6, 2003
comments: Like to congratulate the Eagles on winning the Wilson (DC) quad the other night. A host of Eagles went undefeated on the day. The intensity turns up a few notches now with this coming Wednesday nights dual with Williamsport (MD). This is going to be a tough dual with some very good individual match ups. After hearing a lot of trash talk from Williamsport the past couple years directed towards WV wrestling and especially Danny Lord I can't wait to finally see the dual. With everything that has been said in the past few years about this person or that on Wmpst squad being able to beat Danny it's my hope that there starting 152 does wrestle Danny and doesn't go jumping to another weight class. Williamsports most current lineup has Almeda at 145 which should be a good match for Troy Foltz and Hewitt at 152 and I know Hewitt won't run to another weight class he has too much guts for that. It's my hope there coach doesn't go bumping people around. Meet the Eagles straight up and let's see what happens. I'm not going to go predicting who will win but I will say that I expect the Eagles and especially Danny will represent WV well. I also hope the Eagle fans represent well by getting out to the match. I would love to see the Eagles Aerie filled with a bunch of loud boisterous fans rocking the joint. This is a big grudge match from jr. league days lets get out there 6pm Wednesday and be heard. Anyway again like to congratulate the Eagles on their success so far this season and good luck Wednesday night.

On another note I saw in yesterdays newspaper a family from Marion county is suing the state for the right for there home schooled child to wrestle on the local middle school team. I would like to wish them good luck in this as I feel this is a very worthwhile endeavor. Hopefully this time if the issue makes it to the Supreme Court they will finally make a ruling. And hopefully it's the right one.

January 6, 2003
comments: I know I hav posted a lot lately and I'm sure all are tired of reading what I have to say but there was one incident of incredible sportsmanship at the TSMSC this past weekend that needs to be praised! My 100 lb wrestler (Cody Nutter) was wrestling a Spencer wrestler in consolation quarter finals. The winner was assured of placing. It was a hard fought match with numerous reversals, etc. At the end of the match we were losers by 1 point. I consoled my wrestler and let him know he could go home if he wanted or stay and watch. It was tough for him as he spent last weekend in the ER after being injured on the exact same mat where this match occured and wanted to redeem himself in his own eyes. I went on to coach another match on another mat. Soon after that the official who had done the match came to me to tell me there was a scoring error and my wrestler had indeed won by one point. The opposing coach, Wayne Jarvis, had brought this to the referee's attention. This selfless action allowed my wrestler to continue on and place 4th. ... And now the rest of the story - the 100 lb'er. from Spencer who won and then lost because the coach was honest was Coach Jarvis's own son! This is an example of what is right about our sport and what makes it different from all others. Although Coach Jarvis did not win the coach of the year award at TSMSC - he certainly had my vote in this year or any other.

January 6, 2003
comments: To OG FAN: Thanks for the kind words.Someone from OG explained on here that there was other events going on Saturday involving your area but the hospitality was as good as ever.We will always respect each other's programs and the concession food was great! We witnessed several cars overturned in the median on I-70 between Cambrige and St.Clairsville on the way up to OG.The weather always seems to be nasty when our two teams meet.Good luck to you in your quest for # 7!

January 6, 2003
comments: What were the Dual meet results between Parkersburg and East Fairmont on Jan. 4th.

January 6, 2003
comments: Congrats goes out to South for defeating OG, which i knew they would. Also congrats to M Easter for his wins this weekend in Va.(nice win over A. Frey of Blair, 3rd at ironman, DNP at beast of east) Good job R Shyver of PHS on his nice win over Turnbull. On the topic of the best wrestlers in WV, Easter has proved himself to be very good, possibly one of the best. I think we also need to look at Brandon Rader of Parkersburg as one of the best. He is still young but a defending state champ and very dominating in his matches. He impresses me greatly.

January 6, 2003
comments: mark smith was injured at the west duals.....but should return soon....i look forward to see him and burge wrestle at calhoun

January 6, 2003
comments: This Point vs Williamstown thing at JCI, well Point had more placers then Williamstown, but Williamstown had more Champs and Finalists. Yes kids quality does count over quanity.

January 6, 2003
comments: can anyone provide the public with a listing of all teams that will be at nitro this weekend, as well as start times? Thanks!

January 6, 2003
comments: I thought the turn out at Oak Glen was just fine when you consider that the Junior Varsity team was out of town, the Middle School was at a tournament and the Jr. Mat Men were also out of town. That drew away a large part of high school supporters. But they were right where they should have been, supporting their own children.

January 5, 2003
comments: mark smith was out from some sort of injury to his ribs that he acquired at a past tournament

January 5, 2003
comments: By now you should all no that their are two Gustines. Brothers....one being Cody, who finished 2nd in states last year at 140. And the other being a freshmen...... Cory, he will be a great contender at 152. Keep your eyes open at this Jefferson squad, they will turn heads this year, and open some eyes. Good luck at the Jefferson Invitational this weekend. Pray for no "SNOW". All you wrestlers, who have to travel, have a safe trip. We will see you there. And good luck.

January 5, 2003
comments: I would like to congratulate PS on the big win over us this weekend. You're younger guys proved to be too much for our guys, and they are excellent wrestlers. I believe that South will have a few of their "young" guys in the state finals on Saturday.

I also would like to express my concern considering the fan turnout for the match. I have never seen OGs program like this, and I really urge you fans to come out and support our boys. We have a good thing going here, and I think that some of you are starting to take it for granted. State Championships are not automatic just because we have won them in the past.

January 5, 2003
comments: This weekend at the JCI,s was some great wrestling. The smith duncan match was by far the best match of the night. Congratulations to ripley for a strong finish. The 103 lber from Ravenswood was also pretty impressive as was hwt from ripley

January 5, 2003
comments: To the "Former Panther" and the other person who posted about our team. Please let the wrestling speak for itself. I have forbidden my wrestlers from "talking trash" on this forum and have asked my kids parents to do likewise. I try never to post anything negative and not to get into "what if" scenarios. In any case, it is far too early to be thinking about WSAZ and what team will do what. In an event with nearly 70 middle school and Jr. High teams the people in question may never face one another. There are fine wrestlers all over this state that could step up and beat anyone on any given day. That's why we decide it on the mat. On our team we try not to have "top Dogs" as you chose to call them but rather try to push each other to make each other better. If we are fortunate enough to have continued success it will be as a team not as individuals. There is also the double edged sword of injury/illness and grades at the semester which looms closer. I have great respect for Point's ninth graders but I also respect everyone else as well. In my view Blennerhasett, Edison, Shady, Point, etc. are on top at WSAZ until someone proves otherwise. In addition, these are kids and need no additional pressure on them by folks touting them on the internet - it's hard for a high school kid to handle - read some of the recent posts. To do it with middle school or 9th grader wrestlers is not appropriate. We appreciate your interest in our team but give the kids a break. They'll thank you for it.

One other note, thanks to Coach Darst and everyone else who ran the Tri-State Middle School Championships. As usual everything was first class - food, officiating, awards, organization, results and a million other little details. All the teams who attended owe a vote of thanks to Point Pleasant for hosting this event and giving us a chance to compete.

January 5, 2003
comments: How did the Easters do this weekend?
Editor's note: Some results are posted.....

January 5, 2003
From: Tex email: comments: The JCI's have come and gone. I myself spent more than 22 hours there. However, the finals made it all worth the while. Forget Mitch Smith's semi-final match, it didn't impress me at all. However, the 140 championship was everything it should have been. Nick Duncan of Point Pleasant put on quite the show, with the score 6-5 (in Mitch's favor) with only seconds remaining. You will see the score as 8-5, but if you weren't there, you just don't know how it went. Ripley took first in the tourny, followed by Willamstown then Point. However, from what I saw, Point beat Willamstown head-to-head. I would love to see a duel between the two teams. Congratulations to all the winners at the JCI's, and see you at Nitro this weekend.

January 5, 2003
comments: What classes are the Gustines brothers wrestling at Jefferson? Is the one who was 2nd at 140 AAA back at 140 or is he the larger of the two ?

January 5, 2003
comments: One 103 pounder you are forgetting to mention is Joe Shetler for hedgesville.He is definetlty a contender for states.

January 5, 2003
comments: To the person who commented on my last statement.
I was not talking about team vs. team. What I am saying is, how is it going to effect your team when the Point 9th can take team points away by beating them. Which "kind of" pushed the Middle School a step farther. Indeed, you do have a great team, but, I have seen some of your top dogs lose already which can get them in the long run. Thank you.

January 5, 2003
comments: i was looking at the forum and scores....Matt Easter proves once again he is the best in the state with keeping his undeated streak alive and going against and beating the kid from blair...congrats to casto too...i think he will be champ at 160 this year...i think we are seeing the 2 best from WV ever wrestling this year...mitch smith and matt easter...i dunno who is better...what do u think?

January 5, 2003
comments: Look out for Cody Mollohan from Herbert Hoover at 119. He's only a freshman, but he has plenty of experience, and he is a quality wrestler. He's young, but i still look for him to place at states. I wouldn't be suprised if u see him as a state champ in a year or two

January 5, 2003
comments: To the fan talking about Jr. High/ Middle School wrestlers
I'm not Coach Lemaster but Points 9th grade team was at the Olympic Pool Duels. Milton beat them pretty bad 152 to 36. Milton is clearly the top Middle school. Congrats go out the the team for placing first at the Middle School Championships. Congrats to Miles. He is tearing up the 115 class. Hope you boys place well at the WSAZ'S. GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 5, 2003
email: uspf@netassoc.net
comments: To the individual who inquired about the WVAAU tourney.Yes ! It was an official AAU tourney . I am the AAU rep for the state of WV and if you were legitimately asking information you should direct your inquiry in this direction. It appears that you are trying to stir something up, the tournament was well received. One other point I would like to make , when posting negative statements use your real name.

January 5, 2003
comments: CONGRATULATIONS TO SOUTH BEATING oak glenn WAS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND YOU COULD DO IT, THOUGHT THE SCORE WOULD BE A LITTLE CLOSER THOUGH. JUST SHOWS HOW FAR THOSE FRESHMEN AND SOPHMORES HAS COME IN A MONTH, TOO BAD FOR THE REST OF THE STATE, THESE BOYS WILL BE AROUND FOR THE NEXT 2 and 3 YEARS, KEEP UP THE HARD WORK YOUNG GUNS

January 5, 2003
comments: JCI
Ripley class of the tourney, will have many boys go deep into the states, mayby more than 1 on the top step. Mitch Smith might be the best WV has ever seen, his semi match, the crowd went silent in awe, as the other kid came at him in earnest, Mitch was untouchable.

January 5, 2003
comments: Where is the Jefferson Invitaional being held and what teams are going to be there

January 5, 2003
comments: I attended the South /OG match and saw some great wrestling.I was very surprised at the sparse crowd that showed for OG. Is this typical for your dual matches ? I would have thought that this one would have packed the house. Actually, I believe there were more South fans in attendance than OG.

January 5, 2003
comments: To:large growler Please post where I have been "wrong on about every account" on the AAA poll and I'll try to correct it on my next poll. I would like to be as accurate as possible and any info. on certain wrestlers you feel strongly about would be greatly appreciated.

January 5, 2003
comments: I have seen very few comments on Jr. Highs/Middle schools. Coach Jim LeMasters,I see that you have some outstanding wrestlers and a great team this year. It was a rough lose last year against Point but this year seems to be different. Point now has a 9th grade team which could take points away from you in the WSAZ if they meet. What do you think of that outcome and how it effects your team? Also, does anyone have any predictions on Jr. High/Middle School wrestling? If so, would you be kind enough to list them? Thank You.

January 5, 2003
comments: What teams are going to be at the Jefferson Invitatinal Tournament

January 5, 2003
comments: How did the JCI go???

January 4, 2003
comments: How did the JCI go???

January 4, 2003
comments: I've heard that the AAU Tournament held in Parkersburg, WV, was not an AAU Tournament after all. Someone should have called and told the entered wrestlers if this is not true. I would like to know if my son holds an AAU West Virginia State title or not.

January 4, 2003
comments: Congradulations to Independence High for winning the Greenbrier East Duals. Robert rash, Todd Bragg, Bryan Snuffer, Brian Mills, Daniel Abner, Robert Ward, and Justin Whitlock placed first! Great Job so far look out for the Patriots at States!

January 4, 2003
comments: Where was Mark Smith of Greenbrier West this weekend?

January 4, 2003
comments: i just wanted to say congrats to the Milton Middle Panthers. They totally kicked some bumb at the Tri-state middle school championships. Congrats to the five first place champs Shaffer, Chapman, Christian, Hayes, and Miles. Keep it up boys. Let's go win WSAZ.

January 4, 2003
comments: So much for the guru poll, you have been wrong on about every account, the only good thing I can see from your polls, it tells us who is wrestling. as for South being weak in the lower weights, you better take notice , the 3 Freshman Norman, Kelly, and Porter are doing quite well. They are taking on the Seniors and knocking them off one at a time. Have you heard the latest, they (South)just rolled over OG

January 4, 2003
comments: Hey Jordan, ur pics arent bad.. but ur leaving out alot of good wrestlers.. and ur trying to tell me a Herbert Hoover wrestler wont even place in the states.. its has been a long time since that has happened

January 4, 2003
email: bsmontgomery@myserver-wv.net
comments: Thanks to Summersville Jr. High for a great invitational today. We always appreciate the hospitality and the good wrestling that we share with our friends across Powell's Mountain. And again, officials, thanks for a sometimes thankless job!

January 4, 2003
comments: South doubles up on Oak Glen 43-21! South wins 9 of 14 matches!Let the domination in this series begin!!Our "young" guys wrestled great and the veteran leadership will keep them there!Jan 22nd vs. PHS will determine the states best dual team leading up to the regionals in Feb.Go South!!

January 4, 2003
comments: Anthony Easter wrestled and won Knight's Inn at 103 according to posted results on this website. Congratulations to Parkersburg South on your convincing win at Oak Glen. Your underclassmen came through big. Many people don't realize that South also has a few freshmen and sophomores in the lineup.

January 4, 2003
comments: i look at all the predictions and see alot of talented wrestlers on here. As i look at the 112 predictions i notice the name josh neal of shady springs. but a name i don't see with or near it is james moffatt(winfield). they wrestled each other in the off season at raynell and it went into double overtime with neal winning. both wrestlers this season are doing very well. as far as i know moffatt is 13-0 and neal is undefeated as well. I believe these two talented wrestlers will both turn some heads and put on a heck of a show if they meet at the state tourny. who is the kid from frankfurt , anyone know anything about him? are there any predictions at 275? please keep the predictions coming there very entertaining. and to anyone who says who cares about whats on here or that predictions here are a waste , why bother postin that don't bother readin it if u don't like it but most the wrestlers and fans do enjoy this forum. who ever the editor is doing a great job , it helps out alot! good luck to all the wrestlers and keep trainin hard! OSU!!!!

January 4, 2003
comments: on the forum someone posted anthony easter as being a top wrestler in the 103 wieght class. on the side they put "now that he is no longer at 112" is this statement true. i hope not cause i have spent this past year training for this and really believe i can turn some heads with this match. and i don't want anyone to take this as trashtalk because it's not , anthony is a very fundamentally sound and technical wrestler but i want this match and i truly believe it would go all the way and remain within a couple points either way.

January 4, 2003
comments: Congratulations Parkersburg South 43 - 21 over Oak Glen Excellent wrestling young and old!

January 4, 2003
comments: (Frankfort) Drew Myers 4-1 over Joey Lobis (Ritchie County)

January 4, 2003
comments: Toughest Weight Class in the STATE here are the OVERALL rankings......* state placers. ** State Champ.

1. Lord (HED) **
2. Bliss (Brooke) *
3. Morris (Calhoun) **
4. Evans (WW) *
5. Hays (NM) *
6. Bosley (Frankfort) *
7. Norman (South) *
8. Wharton (OG) *
9. Tracewell (Will) *
10. Hughes (Cameron) *
11. George (PHS) *
12. Efaw (MHS)
13. Myers (HHS)
14. Fawley (Webster) *
15. Efaw (Grafton)
16. Adkins (Clay)
17. Morris (Hoover)
18. Tucker (Riverside)
19. Weese (St. Albans)
20. Bonecutter (Point Pleasant)

January 4, 2003
comments: Well, lets see, truth is the 135 lb weight class is very tough! Chapman from SS looks to win the HS state Championship this yeah which is very possible. He looks to be hard competition... what do you think about him?

January 3, 2003
comments: To:wrestling fan
Debord is a good wrestler and is doing well. 103 AAA is loaded with experience this season and Debord hasn't seen the cream other than Aaron Kelly-Parkersburg South yet( lost 15-2, not by 6 points as stated ) . He only placed 6th at Jr. High WSAZ last year wrestling 90. Nitro next weekend will be a test for him. He'll get to see:

Anthony Easter-Nitro (ALSO PUT HIM AT THE TOP OF THE AAA 103's IN MY POLL NOW THAT HE'S NO LONGER AT 112 )
Greynolds-East Fairmont if he makes 103. At 112 thus far.
Ike Ward-Buckhannon Upshur-always tough, a real scrapper.
Josh Lester-Shady Spring-wrestling well in his first year at Shady High.
Fraley-Huntington-doing great this year.
Gungle-Calhoun Co.- Looking like a contender for the AA title.

January 3, 2003
comments: the comment about respecting the programs at OG - PHS - & PSouth was made by a BROOKE fan !!!!!! ( not an OG fan) so ya know there is no bias there. lots of talk about OG & South (as there should be) but i repeat..."I wouldn't bet the farm either way!" Freshman, soph, jr, or senior.....i don't think it means a thing either way. both school's programs have freshman challanging seniors for a spot. tons of talent. the gym should be PACKED and the fans 100% entertained by the super competition that will clash. this should be TELEVISED !!!!!!!!!!! One more comment....... there are not too many people recognizing the talent at brooke high. j. shaw at 103, b. shaw at 130, the Durbin brothers, and bliss at 152. how could you all not have these guys on your prediction lists. all have placed in OVAC's and states. DON'T BE SURPISED WHEN YOU SEE BROOKE GREEN AND GOLD in the finals. when making predictions you should look all over the state and not just your own back yard. i for one will be there when the dust clears to personally see who is the one still standing. the talent in all the weight classes this year is incredible with only a few that should be "locks". we are in for a real treat as we head down the back stretch and into state competition. NOBODY can predict the future nor can you possibly make someone a champion, even on paper.

January 3, 2003
comments: I guess if you want to congratulate OG for doing so well at Brooke with only 13 wrestlers then i should tell you Parkersburg beat Canon Mac at the Powerade with only 13 wrestlers. Their 145lber was out, and he was a state placer last year.

January 3, 2003
comments: There are a few reasons why I picked Steve Flowers to win by major decision. Flowers is a great offensive wrestler. He knows what has to be done, so I believe that he is going to go out and do everything he can to help the team. Which may include a major decision. But, I have not seen many of the South kids wrestle yet. I just went by what happened in the past. I believe that Garret Six beat Seth Young last year in the dual. Flowers is a way better technical wrestler than six is, so that was what I used for the predictions. Either way, good luck to both GREAT teams.

January 3, 2003
comments: to: CG and others commenting on AAA guru poll,
Please read through the whole forum....... The wrestlers you mentioned were addressed in a later post. Polls at this time of the year are not a magic spell being cast, to place kids in the state tournament. A poll just let's you know who is wrestling at what class and how they have done up to the point of the poll being released. I believe that anything that gets us mentioning WV wrestlers names on this forum is a good thing. I also appreciate it being brought to my attention when I may have overlooked someone. I think I addressed that in a post after the poll was released. It is very difficult to do a poll covering the whole state and not be partial to the region in which you live. I think that as a whole I did pretty good research with the information available and if more teams and fans would EXERT THE EFFORT to post their results on this website, myself and others could be even more accurate.....If you are reading this you have a keyboard. It's up to you to use it.......
I remain,
AAA guru

January 3, 2003
comments: To Jordan: At 189 Ward's only lost is to Tincher but he beat him this past weekend and at 103 what about Rash he has only lost one match and it was out of state and at 275 where is Crookshanks he has beat Harris every time they have wrestled and Roberts from Midland Trail beat Crookshanks. This is just a few more people to think about

January 3, 2003
comments: the match i would like to see is mitch smith and daran hayes. Hayes has been looking good at 145 and it wouldn't be much of a weight differance but i don't see mitch going up for the winners choice and thats the only time their teams meet. and no way will hayes get clear down to 140.

January 3, 2003
comments: I don't know why I bother writing anything on here. Half of what I submit get's edited out. But yet,I read alot worse comment's by other's. All I really want to know is...Why didn't the coaches from XXXXXXXX put the result's from XXXXXXXXX in the local paper??? I know they read this. I was hoping to get a response.
Editor's note: You are right, I didn't post your query concerning your coach. If you have such a question for your coach, I suggest you ask him/her directly, rather than anonymously via this forum.

January 3, 2003
comments: Comments: Jim Lemaster Although you have listed some good wrestlers they are all from the southern part of the state.There are some very tough guys from Parkersburg that they will face in WSAZ.Examples BEATTY 190LB EDISON, MONDAY 170LB EDISON,DUNN 125LB EDISON WOLF 105LB BLENERHASSETT. What about that 115 Worland from Huntington freshmen who dominated the Cauliflower,Clash of champions as well as Rod Oldam.We will see what happens when they meet at the Z'S.See you then

January 3, 2003
comments: to the person who made predictions on all the weight classes you forgot about 130 daryll dorsey and 135 stevie reynolds. they both placed at states last year and WILL both place in states this year. you put a kid from M-burg in each of those weight classes and one daryll crushed 3 times last year. so i guess we'll see when jefferson takes 130, 135, and 140 at regionals.

January 3, 2003
comments: you said that this morgan kid from EF was probably gonna win region II. did you forget about stevie reynolds? hes hurt now but will be back. stevie could win regionals w/ his eyes closed this year. hey stevie and daryll keep remember the clique!!

January 3, 2003
comments: To: AAA GURU
Watch out for the 103 from Midland he is 14-3 after Wheeling and has only lost to kelly in the state, and by only 6 points I think with the right draw he could shine.

January 3, 2003
comments: I agree with all your predictions.....except 145 Seth young very rarely gets majored Mitch Smith beat him 3-2 in 2002 state tourny and David Durbin beat him 5-3 in same tourny for 3rd.If these two can`t do it....??But anything can happen. As for mutual respect between teams and fans. I have seen nothing but class from OG,and mostly class from South.South may have afew hot head hard core fans, but so do most teams.Most of them are alright, so please don`t judge the whole bunch on afew bad apples behavior.GO SOUTH.

January 3, 2003
comments: Here are some more of my pics and if u dont care for my pics write your own.
1.Patrick McGIllian(OG)
2.Andy Fegal(Weir)
3.Lincoln Harris(Lib.R)

1.Pete Hashman(St.Marys)
2.Bill Whitehill(OG)
3.Travis Boone(Rit)
4.Hunt(Hund)

1.Josh Clark(B.Springs)
2.Trampus Efaw(Graf)
3.Chad Tincher(G.West)
4.Robert Ward(Indy)
5.Cody Potts(OG)
6.Joey Moore(S.Harrison)

1.Ray Burge(Cal)
2.Mark Smith(G.West)
3.Chris Miller(Wirt)
4.Jamie Moore(B.Springs)
5.Lee Lauderman(Will)
6.Tim Cashdollar(OG)

1.Shane Smith(Will)
2.Andy Stewart(Brax)
3.Matt Mason(B.Springs)
4.Garette Railing(OG)

1.Jeff Morris(Cal)
2.Devin Bosley(Frank)
3.Casey Hughes(Cam)
4.Matt Wharton(OG)
5.Alan Tracewell(Will)
6.Kevin Efaw(Graf)

1.Eric Metz(Cal)
2.Steve Flowers(OG)
3.Nott(Point)
4.Sam Dennis(Ravens)
5.Dustin Miller(Wirt)

1.Matt Dye(Wirt)
2.Ryan Elder(Will)
3.Duncan(Point)
4.Ian Whittington(OG)
5.Paul Goodrich(Cal)
6.Lance Hines(Brax)

1.Drew Myers(Frank)
2.Joey Lobis(Rit)
3.Matt Howrylak(Win)
4.Sean McIntosh(OG)
5.Tim McCoy(Wirt)
6.Russell(Point)

1.Derek Scarbro(Shady)
2.Brain Mills(Indy)
3.Jeremy Smith(Wirt)
4.McCoy(Point)
5.Dankovchik(Weir)
6.Anthony Dimarco(Will)

1.Justin Ashley(Cal)
2.Casey Biddle(Will)
3.Daniel Allen(Wirt)
4.Noah Oneil(Cam)
5.Dustin Bartrug(St.Marys)
6.Alex Northcraft(Tyler)

1.Brandon Clark(B.Springs)
2.Daniel Whiteman(Hundred)
3.Bryan Snuffer(Indy)
4.Jesse Biddle(Will)
5.Perry Ellis(Wahama)

1.Anthony Valles(Madonna)
2.Matt Morris(Brax)
3.Josh Neal(Shady)
4.Justin Goneau(OG)
5.Shawn Snowberger(Frank)

1.Bryan Gungle(Cal)
2.Judd Billing(Ravens)
3.Tim Cumpston(Cam)
4.Brandon Miller(OG)

Good luck to all wrestlers!

January 3, 2003
comments: Polls at this time of year mean nothing
The final results in Huntington March 1 are the results that mean something
Not all middle schools have the money to travel to all the big middle school tournaments which means a lot of good wrestlers will not be seen
Winning some middle school tournament or Tournaments should not be the highlight of a wrestlers career
Thanks

January 3, 2003
comments: Whoever said that Oak Glen is a young team is incorrect. They have 8 guys with state tournament experience in their lineup.

112-Justin Goneau placed 3rd last year at 103.
130-I believe Jessie Mahan was a middle school state champion.
135-Sean McIntosh placed 6th last year at 130.
140-Ian Whittington placed 4th last year at 125 and wrestled in the State Tournament his Sophomore year.
145-Steve Flowers was a state Champion last year at 140, and placed 5th as a Sophomore at 145.
152-Matt Wharton placed 5th last year at 145, and 3rd his Sophomore year at 152.
160-Garret Railing was a qualifier last year at 160.
171-Rhett Northcraft placed pretty high in the middle school state tournament last year.
215-Bill Whitehill placed 5th last year at 215.
275-Patrick McGillian was a state qulaifier two years ago as a Sophomore at 215.

So as you can see OG has a lot of depth but South does also. I am an OG fan, but this one is too close to call. Even if OG doesn't win, I'm sure I'll still leave the Fieldhouse as a happy fan because this is what wrestling is all about.

GOOD LUCK TO SOUTH AND TO OAK GLEN!!!

January 3, 2003
comments: Whittington and Flowers both took 2nd at the Knight's Inn Invitational. The scoreboard has them taking 1st...

January 3, 2003
comments: Keep in mind that George from John Marshall beat Kyle Walters twice last year(once 9-3) but "Prime Time" won the big one that counted! More than one football player/wrestler has said on here that football"shape" and Wrestling "shape" are different.We'll see Saturday night in March! Gibbs/Walters 2 could happen however in the semis,which is why wrestlers should be seeded at the state tourney.Both are great wrestlers and both well coached.Good luck to both young men!

January 3, 2003
comments: In the OG/PS match, age doesn't matter, because both programs produce great wrestlers. And to whoever is comparing the Powerade and Brooke results, Oak Glen only had 13 wrestlers at the Brooke, Tim Cashdollar broke his clavicle on the first day of the tournament. If he stayed in, I think they could've won it. They almost did with only 13.

January 2, 2003
comments: Hey AAA guru, Listen up punkin Casto from nitro is at 160 just thought id let ya know and he wrestles gibs from midland at the Nitro tourney soon.

January 2, 2003
comments: i just wanted everyone to know that Chris Gibbs is going to tear 160 up!!!!!!!!!!!! One match that I would love to see is Gibbs and Mitch Smith. I know that weight is very different between then but I think that wouldn't ever matter between them. So good luck to Gibbs!!!!!!

January 2, 2003
comments: Ashley may have pinned Allen at LKC's last year but anyone who was there and watched it would know it sure looked like Allen was knocked out. For a wrestler of his ability to be rolled to his back and not even use his feet/legs to fight off his back tells me something was not right but the pin was called.

January 2, 2003
comments: The Nitro Tournament boasts a very strong field this year, and it might alter my thinking some, as wrestling fan stated. 5 teams ranked in the top 10 AAA and 3 teams ranked in the top 10 AA in WV (WV-Mat poll).

East Fairmont 4th AAA
Nitro 7th AAA
Huntington 8th AAA
Buckhannon 9th AAA
North Marion 10th AAA

Point Pleasant 3rd AA
Calhoun Co. 4th AA
Shady Spring 10th AA

Kentucky- Sheldon Clark 2nd in state AA and 8th overall in all divisions 2002.

Also in the field for sure are :

Cabell Midland
Nicholas Co.
R.C. Byrd
Spring Valley
Woodrow Wilson

Possibles who attended last year, but schedule not posted on WV-MAT:
Clay Co.
Chesapeke, OH
George Washington
Hurricane
Lewis Co.
Logan
Riverside
Sissonville
Winfield

2002 WV State Place Winners wrestling will be:
`AAA
Anthony Easter-Nitro, 3rd 103
Steve Riner-Huntington, 5th 112
Matt Easter-Nitro, 3 time WV State Champion 103,112,119
Jeremy Ray-Huntington, 6th 125
John Evans-Nitro, 4th 130
Chris Gibbs-Cabell Midland, 4th 140
Blane Mayle-East Fairmomt, 5th 140
Daran Hayes-North Marion, 3rd 152
Josh Evans-Woodrow Wilson, 5th 152
Ben Geary-East Fairmont, 4th 160
Brandon Geary-East Fairmont, 2nd 171
James Nelson-Huntington, 5th 189
Andrew Starsick-North Marion, 2nd 215

AA
Josh Neal-Shady Spring, 5th 103
Justin Ashley-Calhoun Co., State Champion 112
Jared Brewer-Calhoun Co., 4th 119
Derek Scarbro-Shady Spring, 4th 130
Jeff Morris-Calhoun Co., 2nd 140
Eric Metz-Calhoun Co., 4th 145
Ray Burge-Calhoun Co., 3rd 171

All in all it will be a tough tournament and a great weekend of wrestling. The Coaches and fans at Nitro High School put on a super event and anyone wanting a weekend of exciting wrestling should be at Nitro High School on the 10 and 11th of January.

January 2, 2003
comments: I agree with the Oak Glen fan who wrote that Oak Glen and South respect each others program.I predicted the score to be 36-21 South,but who knows? It was the best thing to happen in WV wrestling when the two schools signed to meet each other! If we could get more AAA/AA rank matches it would be even better and satisfy a few questions of AAA/AA individual matches.Look for 130-152 matches to help decide the outcome this Saturday as well as pins! Two great wrestling schools...one dynamite match!

January 2, 2003
comments: Glad to see so many people starting to talk about the middle schools. I agree about Point 9 being outstanding. I tried to only list Jr. Highs and Middle schools. That was why I did not include some of the outstanding freshman - they are technically part of their respective high schools - therefore I left out several from teams like Ripley 9, Huntington 9, etc. Also, I'm sure those guys from Blennerhasset, Brooke, Taylor Co, etc are fantastic. I only listed the ones I have seen or knew of. Perhaps the Tri State championships will clear up some things but we really can't tell even with WSAZ because some of these guys never see each other all season long. Didn't mean to slight or offend anyone - just making conversation.

January 2, 2003
comments: im tired of hearing about how young south is and how og has so much more experience because og has 3 freshmen (Baker 119, Mahan 130, Northcraft 171) and 2 sophmores (Miller 103, Potts 189) in there varsity lineup so you can't really use that as an excuse...

January 2, 2003
comments: To: AAA Guru I believe that most of your picks are right on. However some of your ideas might change after Nitro. This is going to be a great tournament. Every weight class is loaded with talent.

January 2, 2003
comments: I just want to congradulate Hedgesville on their great wrestling at Wheeling over the holidays!I Great job to you all and Good Luck in the future!!!

January 2, 2003
comments: Coach Lemaster...
Pretty good observations on the Jr. High/MS Weight Classes... Don't overlook a few of these wrestlers either, they all could make some noise at the WSAZ Tourney later this month.

90 lbs. Kellar (Blen)
95/100 lbs. Justice (Park)
115 lbs. Pat Murphy (EF)
125 lbs. Morgan Murphy (EF)
135 lbs. Eakle (EF)

Another good one that you will probably only see in duals is Cam Gallaher at 95lbs from Taylor County. He is as good as if not better than any I have seen this year, including the class at Point Pleasant Pool.

Either way should be a fun season to watch!!!

January 2, 2003
comments: What do you believe the key match (or two) will be at the OG/South match. I think it will be 135 and 140...

January 2, 2003
comments: Brooke is one of the top tournament teams in the state and they will prove that at the OVAC and the state tournament. They will finish in the top 5 in both tournaments!

January 2, 2003
comments: anybody in the northern panhandle will tell ya ...... if there is a match that will be exciting it will be oak glenn and ANYBODY. we know and respect the OG program. young or not the OG program will be READY at any wt. class. the other thing we know up north is ......... parkersburg / park. south individual mathes ( at any tournament!! ) will be exciting!!!! OG /South...... i wouldn't bet the farm either way. it will surely be a battle and fun to watch. this one will come down to the hwt match having GREAT significance !!!!!!!

January 2, 2003
comments: To: JIm LeMasters (about your list of front runners in middle/jr. high school)
I do believe that you have face one team that you had no comment about. Point 9th has a few good wrestlers on there 2 that really stick out in my mind, Hearford and Warner. And if i'm not mistaken Warner beat Chapman REALLY bad (11-4) at the Point Pool tournament.

January 2, 2003
comments: Whatever happen to Redden from shady springs.

January 2, 2003
comments: unless the results from the brooke classic on here are wrong, or Oak Glen was missing some starters at Brooke, I don't think OG is that tough this year. Looks like Brooke beat OG by 19 points, and they're not even the top AAA team. I also noticed South and PHS were relatively close at the Ironman.(AWESOME TOURNAMENT)PHS also defeated Canon McMillon at the Powerade tournament, CM won The Brooke Classic. I'll put my money on South over OG. Won't be as cose as you think.

January 2, 2003

comments: To talyor fan. I agree that Cameron is a very talented wrestler as i saw him in action in columbus and yes he did pin ashley ray but it was the 3rd period and the score was 2-0 when the pin occured. I will not dispute the fact that he had controlled the entire match, but coach Lemasters is just showing some of the best at that weight that he has seen. We saw many of them at point and think he is right to have there names but agree cameron is probably top 3 in this state at that weight class it's just that he hasnt seen him yet. Good luck Cameron and if Ashley cant win the Mason Dixon i hope you take it it couldnt go to a classer wrestler for what i have seen don't loose that!

January 2, 2003
comments: To AAA Guru: Your picks were pretty good. Look for my picks to come early next week, there are still a few key matches yet to be wrestled.

How many people are expected to attend the WVU/Iowa St. dual this Saturday? Wrestling is scheduled to start at 12:00. Hope to see a few people there to support the #9 Mountaineers against #13 Cyclones.

I also want to wish South good luck Saturday against Oak Glen.

January 1, 2003
comments: Thanks to all for the feedback on the poll. NOW THE FUN BEGINS ! To yosemite sam and Marion Co. Fan : At 103 Ward BU or Greynolds EF might take Fraley from Huntington's place on the list. But the other's are BONIFIDE and the two you mentioned aren't there yet. Lodge from North Marion beat Glasser BU this past week and Cooper from Ripley is the only other that is questionable above Glasser. I did rank Walters PS above Gibbs due to returning STATE CHAMP status. That is open to discussion and your view is a good one. I did overlook Barnes EF at 145 and appreciate the help. He should fall in after Waldeck Hun. Morgan EF also could be a factor at 135. At 140 Moore EF, Madia RCB and Mick FS could all produce. I just liked the ones I listed. I haven't seen anything to base a ranking on these Jefferson wrestlers : Reynolds, Dorsey, Big Gustines or Hawes. Casto from Nitro has been at 160 thus far. Linger(Lateral Drop expert) and Geary at 189 are both studs and you could rank them at either spot. At 215 after the top 3, you pick em'. Lucas SV and Casto Rip are for real. At 275 I probabley should have had Valentine EF in there and possibly Molnar Brooke out.
yosemite you should do your own poll on here, it appears you have the insight and I'd love to see it. I don't guess I did too bad for a first timer.

January 1, 2003
comments: where is Boyden from Woodrow Wilson?

January 1, 2003
comments: anyone know the start times for jackson co invitational and the teams that are going to be there?

January 1, 2003
comments: I think you are completely wrong when you say that people are picking OG just because of the fact that we don't like South. I am a OG fan, and I really respect South and the program that they have established. I cheer for them at the state tournament, as do the rest of the OG fans. I think that the South/OG matchup is a friendly rivalry. It is just two GREAT teams going out and battling. I don't think that there is any dislike in the matchup at all. There is a mutual respect. As for predictions, I agree with the person who said each team will win in spurts. But I think that It'll all rely on what happens in the weight classes from 130-152. I think that the upper weight classes for OG can counteract the weakness of their light weights, and OG pulls out a close one by the score of 30-29

January 1, 2003
comments: Here are my predictions for the matchup on Saturday. I think that these will be the closest predictions to the actual results. Take a look at them, and don't get mad because they're just for fun.

103-Aaron Kelley(PS) dec. Brandon Miller(OG)
112-Felix Osuna-Cotto(PS) maj. dec. Justin Goneau(OG)
119-Chad Porter(PS) pin Dirk Baker(OG)
125-Shane Grogg(PS) pin Shane Wright(OG)
130-Jessie Mahan(OG) dec Shaun Smith(PS)
135-Sean McIntosh(OG) dec Cory Porter(PS)
140-Ian Whittington(OG) dec OT Sean Smith(PS)
145-Steve Flowers(OG) maj. dec. Seth Young(PS)
152-Matt Wharton(OG) dec OT Codi Norman(PS)
160-Kyle Walters(PS) pin Garret Railing(PS)
171-Bryce Pickens(PS) maj. dec. Rhett Northcraft(OG)
189-Cody Potts(OG) pin Curt Radcliff(PS)
215-Billy Whitehill(OG) pin Josh Davis(PS)
275-Patrick McGillian(OG) pin Wes Young(PS)

And the final team score

OG-34 South-29

It's gonna be a great matchup, but upsets are bound to happen so who knows how It'll actually go. Good luck to both teams. I'll be in attendance.

January 1, 2003
comments: to: AAA Guru....Consider this.... 103~ Ward(BU) and Greynolds(EF) just dropped. 112~ Turnbull(Univ) vs Shyver(P) this Saturday. 119~ Don't forget the name Glasser(BU). 135~ Morgan(EF) outside shot to place, will probably win region II. 140~ Gustines(Jeff) will step it up late in season count on it, and Moore(EF) is just comming off of an early season injury. 145~ Hays(NM) and Barnes(EF) will be interesting on the 15th. 152~ Hawes(Jeff) will turn heads. 160~ Gibbs(CM) defeated Walters(PS) 10-2,and I do believe that Gustines(Jeff) and Casto(N) are here as well (żżunless Mitch moved up??). 189~ Geary(EF) has already defeated Linger(Elk) this year, and look for Tominack(WP) to be a factor. 215~ Lucas(SV) was champion of the Point Pleasant Pool Tournament with Casto(Rip) runner-up, and a huge match this weekend between Thomas(P) and Geary(EF) at University. HWT~ Phalen(Rip) was pinned by Valentine(EF) at Wheeling, but no doubt as of now Dilworth(BU) is the front runner of the heavies.

January 1, 2003
comments: To the Oak Glen fan who just challenged South's young wrestlers vs. your older, more experienced wrestlers...Thanks for pumping them up! You question whether South fans will follow their young team? I think a few of us will show up in New Cumberland...many more than you brought to Parkersburg last year to follow your team.I really think South will be ready! Good Luck!

January 1, 2003
comments: Why does everyone put down the heavy weight wrestlers... we do the same things any other weight class does... and that is we do whatever it takes 2 win... and no one talks about them.. there were some good heavy weights that were good wrestlers.. just to name a few Joe Heath from Greenbrier East and Satterfield from E.F

January 1, 2003
comments: Yes Ashley pinned all but it was a close match till he Caught him on his back. Biddle beat Allen 14-1 thats not close at all

January 1, 2003
comments: U know i dont think people have noticed this yet but Duncan didnt beat Dye last year, he beat Brandon Dye , but did not beat Matt.

January 1, 2003
comments: Just curious on who votes for the poll and how it is decided. I am a little confused on how a team that has won the past four years is ranked second in the poll. How does that happen, exactly? Just wondering.
Editor's note: Who votes is myself and a panel of experts. South is ranked second for the following reason: We released the first poll before few if any matches were wrestled and began the rankings based on returning state placewinners the teams might anticipate, tallying the place points scored by those placewinners at last year's state tournament. Parkersburg High returned 7 finalists -- 3 champs, one runner-up, a third, a fifth, and a sixth. Parkersburg South returned 5 finalists -- one champ, two runners-up, and two fourth. Thus, Parkersburg started ahead of South in the poll, and has remained there since Parkersburg finished ahead of South at the Ironman on December 14.

January 1, 2003
comments: hey AAA Guru, why do you rank walters above Gibbs when Gibbs major decisioned him already this year?

January 1, 2003
comments: Its easy to tell who is making the prdeictions on here. The ones that have South winning were made by a South fan , and the ones having Oak Glen winning were made by an Oak Glen or PHS fan. Cuz you know there alwasy against SOuth.

January 1, 2003
comments: To AAA guru.....pretty good picks, but at the 145 weight class you forgot to even mention East Fairmont's Robert Barnes. He defeated Foltz of Hedgesville 7-4 at the Wheeling Duels and he took third place at the Brooke tournament. He has not wrestled Hayes yet.....but it should be a good match. Keep an eye on him this year.

January 1, 2003

comments: Here are some guesses on weight classes so far this season:

103                           112
Shaw-Brooke                   Turnbull-University
Shetler-Hedgesville           Easter-Nitro
Kelly-Parkersburg South       Shyver-Parkersburg
Phalen-Ripley                 Riner-Huntington
Green-Wheeling Park           Cappas-Morgantown
Hayes-Parkersburg             Osuno-Cotto-Parkersburg South
Fraley- Huntington            Shumate-North Marion

119                           125
Rader-Parkersburg             Grogg-Parkersburg South
Porter-Parkersburg South      Casto-Ripley
Smith-Brooke                  McFarland-Brooke
Garvin-Morgantown             Hefner-University
Humphrey-Wheeling Park        Ward-Buckhannon Upshur
Cooper-Ripley                 Ford-Fairmont Senior
Lodge-North Marion            Nelson-Wheeling Park

130                           135              
Easter-Nitro                  Derrick Knapp-Parkersburg
Shaw-Brooke                   Nelson-Huntington
Shawn Smith-Parkersburg South Durbin-Brooke
Litton-Parkersburg            Evans-Nitro
Vance-Greenbrier East         Koontz-John Marshall
Gerasimovich-Morgantown       Barbour-Martinsburg
Henry-Martinsburg             Morris-North Marion

140                           145
Smith-Ripley                  Hayes-North Marion
Durbin-Brooke                 Young-Parkersburg South
Ray-Huntington                Cornecelli-Parkersburg
Gustines-Jefferson            Davis-Brooke
Williamson-Parkersburg        Waldeck-Huntington
Sean Smith-Parkersburg South  Foltz-Hedgesville
Wilson-Woodrow Wilson         Wilson-Fairmont Senior

152                           160
Lord-Hedgesville              Walters-Parkersburg South
Bliss-Brooke                  Gibbs-Cabell Midland
Evans-Woodrow Wilson          Ray-East Fairmont
George-Parkersburg            Young-Hedgesville
Norman-Parkersburg South      Patrick-Huntington
Efaw-Morgantown               Keiper-Nicholas County
Myers-Huntington              Rexroad-Wheeling Park

171                           189
Pickens-Parkersburg South     Starsick-North Marion
Mayle-East Fairmont           Linger-Elkins
Casto-Nitro                   Geary-East Fairmont
Ammons-Hedgesville            Weaver-Ripley
Sayre-Ripley                  Nelson-Hintington 
Coon-University               McKinney-Hedgesville
Cremeans-Cabell Midland       Tominak-Wheeling Park

215                           275
Thomas-Parkersburg            Dilworth-Buckhannon Upshur
Geary-East Fairmont           Phalen-Ripley
Delligati-Fairmont Senior     Burns-Greenbrier East
Casto-Ripley                  Dearman-Parkersburg
Delaney-Brooke                Richardson-Cabell Midland
Lucas-Spring Valley           Bird-Martinsburg
Hercules-Wheeling Park        Molnar-Brooke

January 1, 2003
comments: I pick Dye over Duncan because Duncan didnt impress me when i watched him wrestle and Dye wasnt healthy last year. I do believe that Metz will beat Flowers, Metz is strong, fast and very smart. the rest of my pics just came out of what i think will happen even though i really dont know what will happen but the best matchup i believe is Biddle against Ashley, and after watching both wrestle i think it will be who ever score first becauseit will go to sudden death.

January 1, 2003
comments: to whoever said that biddle beat allen worse than ashley ever did, i believe that ashley pinned allen at lkcs last yr

January 1, 2003
comments: I think South will beat Oak Glen. I think more then a few people will be suprised at those sophmores and freshmen that South has. Young doesnt matter when your good.

January 1, 2003
comments: The one sad thing about WV wrestling is that no one wants to challenge themselves, all they want to do is run and duck and see who is in what weight class then hide.

January 1, 2003
comments: Duncan didn't wrestle Matt Dye last year he wrestled Brandon Dye matt dye wrestled 125, and 130 last year

January 1, 2003
comments: i was wondering if anyone has new predictions for 130 135 140 and 145 for AA/A,and if anyone has opinions about these weight classes post them for me please . thank you

January 1, 2003
comments: i would like to see some perdictions for AA/A 275,189

January 1, 2003
comments: I agree with the one post that Oak Glen will win eight matches and South six. However, Oak Glen's advantage in matches still may not give them enought points to win the dual -- bonus points will determine the outcome. I also think the wins will come in spurts with South winning 103-125, Oak Glen winning 130-152, South winning 160-171 and Oak Glen taking the upper three weights. Good luck to all wrestlers and the house should be rocking at Oak Glen on Saturday!!!

January 1, 2003
comments: other AAA 103's to look at...
Jarod Shaw - Brooke
Chris Greynolds - East Fairmont
Ike Ward - Buckhannon

January 1, 2003
comments: Subject: 103 AAA Two wrestlers to watch at 103 AAA are Jake Hays of Parkersburg and Aaron Kelly of South Parkersburg. Both are very experienced and highly skilled. Will they both place at the state tournament? Barring an injury or other circumstance, both could. State champ? Either one could. Need proof? Kelly beat Hays(3-1) and Rory McCahan of St. Vincent, Ohio at the Ironman. Most recently Aaron places fifth at Brecksville, Ohio with a 6-2 record. He had quality wins over Owen Schaefer of Sandusky Perkins, Ohio(11-3) and Jon Shaft of Strongville, Ohio(6-0). Hays goes 3-2 at Ironman, 2-2 at Beast of the East, and 6-2 for a fouth place at Powerade. Jake had a 4-2 win over Scott Rooney of Walsh Jesuit, Ohio and a 1-0 loss to Neidermeier of Waynesburg, Pa. in the consolation finals. Neidermeier was fifth and Rooney sixth at Ironman. Neidermeier also had a 3rd at Beast of the East. 103 AAA is always a fun class to watch because those kids are "on go" the whole match. Add Hays and Kelly with Easter, Green WP, Fraley HH, and DeBord CM. Better tighten your headgear a little tighter gentlemen, 'cause you've got a war. Good luck to all.

January 1, 2003
comments: Jim Lemaster, 95 lb. weight class is going to be taken by Cameron Gallaher from Taylor County. He placed 3rd in The Tournament of Champions last year held in Ohio. He's undefeated this year. He pinned Ashley Ray in the 2nd period this year.

January 1, 2003
comments: I think that at 103 there is only 5 top wrestlers. The top four in AAA are:
Green WP
Easter Nitro
Fraley HH
DeBord CM
any other ideas?

January 1, 2003
comments: There are wrestlers in the state who will give Easter a run for the money, I don't think they will just give in to everyone's predictions, they'll make him earn it!! The better question is "What weight will he choose??"

January 1, 2003
comments: To JL There are a lot of Middle School wrestlers from the Northern Panhandle that are overlooked too. Check out the Follansbee Duals results in the Junior High section. Many of the names have placed in the Youth States for many years. Check them out.

January 1, 2003
AAA
171:Blane Mayle (EF)
    Bryce Pickens (PS)
    Ashton Queen (BU)
    Steve Sayer (Rip)
    Jacob Carr (PP)
    Sam Craddock (RC)

189:Andrew Starsick (NM)
    Ben Geary (EF)
    Codie Tominak (WP)
    Ray Linger (Elk)
    James Nelson (Hunt)
    Mike Bickle (BU)

215:Brandon Geary (EF)
    Lou Thomas (Park)
    Matt Deligatti (FS)
    Kenny Hutchinson (Hunt)
    Matt Lucas (SV)
    Adam Casto (Rip)

HWT:John Dilworth (BU)
    Ryan Dearman (Park)
    Jesse Valentine (EF)
    Ty Phalen (Rip)
    Ryan Dearman (Mart)
    TJ Richards (Riv)

January 1, 2003
comments: To oak glen vs. south predictions: I see Parkersburg South has 3 freshman and 2 sophmores in their lineup, with such a young team up against an experienced older team I don't think it will be as close as you predicted. Let's see if the South fans follow a young underdog team.

January 1, 2003
comments: This Saturday's Oak Glen/South match will probably be another good one but I think South will roll early in the match and build a big lead.Some of South's young wrestlers will step it up a notch and their tough matches at the Iron Man and Brecksville will carry them in this tough match.I see it South 36 Oak Glen 21.Good luck to both schools...two wrestling powerhouses!!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page