West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 1998 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 14, 1998
email: CSARGENT98@Prodigy.net
comments: The word going around about the Drennens. Well, Danny Drennen is back out and David is staying home. He has gained a lot of weight since last year. As Jennifer said about Mark Lowe. Here is the story on Mark Lowe - here is how tough he is this year: He can wrestle any weight class he wants to this year and there is no one that can stop him.

January 14, 1998
comments: To a fan
Are you saying that Eric McCartney is better than Jason Miller? Well in the first place how do you know Miller is wrestling 135 this weekend? How do you know who can beat who? Right, you don't know. Jason Miller isn't a pushover either.

January 14, 1998
comments: Jenny...are you attending the big 30 team middle school tournament at Andrew Jackson Middle School in Crosslanes...do you have any information on it...does it start this Friday???...thanks

January 14, 1998
comments: On the topic of the best pound for pound wrestler in the state, you apparently haven't seen Nathan "Dawg" Logan at 160 from Ripley. He has the talent, ability, and mental toughness that it takes to be a future champion. You may not have heard his name before, but believe me this kid is on the rise. He is still in the learning process, however, and he may not be a state contender this year. BEWARE OF THE DAWG IN 1998!!!

January 14, 1998
comments: I just went to the Jackson County Inv. last weekend. I saw some of the best unknown talent in the state of WV. Switching between 130 and 135, Chad Mullins is the best wrestler in the state (in his weight class). 125 wrestlers beware, "Kid" is dropping weight. However, in the 145 Michael Hosaflook is presenting a strong run for the state championship. He is still undefeated and he'll stay that way. "Hos" ain't gettin beat! Also from Ripley, Nathan Logan is coming on strong in the 160 weight class. He had some trouble in JCIs but he was sick and he will rebound this weekend in Fairmont.

January 14, 1998
email: comments: Just because Jason Miller moves down to 135 at Braxton will not guarantee him a 1st place finish. Eric McCartney of Calhoun will be there and if you have followed him you will know he is not a pushover by any means. He has two losses, one by disq. and another to a tough wrestler from Herndon, Va. At Nitro this past weekend on his way to a 1st place finish, he pinned 3 boys including Singleton of Hunt. So Miller should be prepared for a fight at whatever weight he finally settles at.
I have a question for Jenny: which tourneys will you be attending over the next two weeks?

January 14, 1998
email: jsmith14@wvu.edu
comments: Wirt County has had a rough start to what will hopefully turn out to be a winning season. I am sad for Coach Ashley as a friend and as a good coach to see him go. I do believe however that with Michael's return and the excellent performance of the other boys that Wirt County still has a chance to win the State Touranment. As for the Drennens, although I believe that David and Danny are both great wrestlers, I don't think they should be able to return to the team after being off as long as they have. I like the boys but I believe the organization and the school need to step up and not let them come and go as they please. With the continued excellent performance of other wrestlers Wirt County can still win the Championship. Best wishes to Coach Joe Burton.

January 14, 1998
email: jsmith14@wvu.edu
comments: Congratulations goes to Mark Lowe of Wirt County for his award as Most Outstanding Wrestler at the Cameron tournament Jan. 10. For those of you who are wondering where he came from this year, well... Lowe has always been in the same weight classes as the Millers and the Drennens. This is his first year to really show his stuff as a starter for the varsity team. Although he is getting better he has always been good and I am glad to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves. I also want to say keep up the good work to returning state chamption Jason Miller (also of Wirt) who is undefeated this year and has only had to one match go to a points decision. I think he deserves an outstanding wrestler award as well.

January 14, 1998
email: Jhart25806@appstate.edu
comments: To those interested in college wrestling. I am currently wrestling at Appalachian State University. There have been some really big changes in the way weigh-ins will be conducted from now on. Those wrestlers that have not already went down to their final weight are not able to do so anymore. I was dropping to the 126 pound class for the Wolfpack Duals this weekend at North Carolina State when my coach informed me on the new ruling yesterday. No wrestler is able to drop to a weight class that they have not already wrestled in at a previous match. Everyone will get seven pounds and have to weigh-in two hours before their first match. This is the way I understand the rule and if I find out any more I will let everyone know. This really hurt out wreslting team because we were all dropping a weight class for this weekend!

January 13, 1998
comments: What is this stuff about Wirt county anymore? Why can't they keep everyone together? Once it was the Drennens, then it was Mike Miller, and now Coach Ashley just resigned. What the heck? The Braxton Big Sixteen is coming up, and Jason Miller is moving down to 135. Lets see, 140 pound weight class at the tournament. Roane County's Josh Craddock! Is that his reason for moving down? Is that why he will wrestle 135 at the LKC? Who is in the LKC? Pick a weight class and stay there.
Editor's note: In Wirt County's defense, I'm thinking that the "scoop" regarding projected starters for the LKC tourney may have been a typo, and was supposed to refer to the Braxton Big 16. I suspect that I'm the most confused person here, and I'm quite sure that Coach Burton of Wirt County has everything well in hand. Its not unusual for Coaches to juggle their line up to suit the particular meet - for instance check North Marion's line up vs Buckhannon at the Wheeling Park Duals vs their lineup against BU at their Jan 7 rematch. In fact, we are still fairly early in the season and lots of wrestlers are still moving around. I'm of the opinion that's one mark of good coaching. Probably the best thing to do is set back and see how things develop ....

January 13, 1998
comments: The recent Nitro Inv. was a good chance to check out some excellent wrestling but . . . one tournament does not a season make!
In response to the comments about North Marion's Gorby I would like to make the following observation as both a fan and a coach. Gorby is a consumate mat technician who has a unique sense of where he is on the mat at all times. In the matches I have seen him wrestle, he is rarely if ever out of position and provides no mistakes that his opponents can capitalize on. He also seems to be a classy young man and a wrestler that WV can be proud of. This comes from a Midland fan even though he beat Frazier from Cabell Midland (not HH as stated on the forum) in the finals. I have never seen him show anything other that good sportsmanship and conduct on the mat. He seems to be a credit to his team and to our sport.

In response to the other comments about HHS "blowing North Marion and Midland out of the water," I hardly think that thirty odd points in a bracketed tournament format represents that type of defeat. I must give credit where credit is due, HHS wrestled very well and placed a number of wrestlers into the finals. However, the field did not include powers such as South, John Marshall, PBurg, etc. It is my contention that until all the teams are together in one place, no one can tell for sure what will happen. Injuries, grades, the placing in the regionals and the luck of the draw all will have an effect on the outcome of the state tournament. I do feel that no one will run away with the title as has occurred in years past and I will predict that no team will have more than 3 state champs.

I would also like to second Coach Sparks invitation to "The Castle" at Cabell Midland to see the Midland vs HHS dual. This rivalry has evolved into one approaching that of our neighbors to the north! Here's hoping for a good crowd and some solid wrestling on Thursday!

January 13, 1998
I REALLY THINK THAT JERRY SINGLETON HAS A CHANCE. HE REALLY LOOKS GOOD OUT ON THE MATS.

January 13, 1998
comments: Personally I pick Huntington High to win AAA states.North Marion and CM are both execllent teams and HH blew them out of the water. And for Adam Gorby, yes he is a good wrestler but if I am not mistaken this kid from HH gave him a very good match and I look for it to be Gorby and this kid in the semi's of the state tournament.
Most Outstanding wrestler: WARD

January 13, 1998
comments: THIS THURSDAY IS THE DUAL MEET BETWEEN HUNTINGTON AND CABELL MIDLAND. WRESTLING BEGINS AT 7 PM. WE INVITE EVERONE TO COME SEE THE TWO BEST TEAMS IN THE SOUTH HAVE THEIR ANUAL SHOWDOWN..

January 13, 1998
email: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
comments: Jason Miller plans to stay at 140, but he does plan to drop to 135 for the Braxton Pizza Hut. The team members seem to be working their weight around Mark Lowe, who can pretty much name where he wants to wrestle. This is just a guess, but I think Coach (Joe) Burton's dream lineup if everything works out will be Mike Miller at 125, Mark Lowe at 130, David Drennen at 135, and Jason Miller at 140 for the regional tournament. Pretty intimidating, huh. It may not happen, but for the sake of good competition, let's hope it does. As for the OVAC, they have four classifications, AAAA through A. That's why Oak Glen is AAA in the OVAC (which includes Ohio schools) and AA in West Virginia.

January 12, 1998
WINNERS CHOICE TOURNAMENT -- TEAMS PARTICIPATING

1. North Marion
2. Elkins
3. Morgantown
4. University High
5. Preston High
6. Lewis Co.
7. Buckhannon-Upshur
8. Phillip-Barbour
9. Clay-Battelle
10. R. C. Byrd
11. South Harrison
12. Liberty
13. Jefferson High
14.Martinsburg
15. Hedgesville
16. Ripley
17. Hurricane
18. George Washington
19. Captial High
20. Shady Spring
21. Woodrow Wilson
22. Point Pleasant
23. Williamstown High
24. Parkersburg
25. St Anthonys
26. Southern MD
27. Fairmont Sr
Winners Choice Tournament -- Time Schedule
Friday, Jan 16, 98
Weigh-ins 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm
1st and 2nd Rounds 2:45pm 5 mats
Quarter-finals 7:30pm 5 mats
Consolations 8:45pm 5 mats
Saturday, Jan 17
3rd Round Consolation 10:15am 5 mats
4th Round Consolation 11:30am 4 mats
Semi-finals 1:00pm 2 mats
Quarter Consolations 1:30pm 3 mats
Semi-Consolations 3:00pm 2 mats
7th place Finals 3:30pm 2 mats
BREAK ARMORY CLOSED
Doors Open 5:45pm
Championship Finals 6:30pm 3 mats

January 12, 1998
comments: Ref. Oak Glen's Enrollment this year - They have 584 students, 9 thru 12. They have already been classified for the next 2 years AA. As for the OVAC, they are classified AAAA.

January 12, 1998
CSARGENT98@prodigy.net
comments: All you wrestling fans out there -- 4X State Champion and coach Matt Ashley has just resigned today at 8:00 am. The coach now is Coach Joe Burton. He was the assistant.

January 12, 1998
comments: To: Jenny
You say that you have heard that Jason Miller will wrestle 135 at the LKC tourney. Do you mean he will wrestle there just then or for the rest of the year. So in other words will he be wrestling for the 135 or 140 state title? Another thing, why did Mike Miller quit to begin with? Is Wirt going to be at the Braxton tourney? Who will be coaching them, Matt Ashley or somebody else?

January 12, 1998
comments: Questions about Oak Glen? Exactly how many students are in attendance at that school. I know they dropped down from AAA to AA, but I've been told they'll have to move back up to AAA next year. Any truth to that? I do know they're competing against much smaller A schools where attendance ranges anywhere from 120 to 200 students (9-12). With that size of school shouldn't they dominate?! I was also told that in their OVAC conference, they were considered AAA. Any truth to that? If so, I wonder how they'll do against their conterparts at the upcoming OVAC tourney.

January 12, 1998
comments: Congratulations to Doc Miller - the editor of this page for doing such a grat job! The # of hits per week is a testimony to the quality of information on this page. Now that I am coaching out of state, this page serves as my primary information source for wrestling in my home state. Thanks for the the great service! I am sure the WV wrestling community appreciates all your time and energy!
Responding to recent comments about Eastern Panhandle kids, I can guarantee you that Regalbuto and Zombro are for real. I have wrestled both of them many times over the past few years at my camps, and they have both made steady and significant improvements over the past year. Zombro needs to get in better shape if he wishes to maximize his potential at State Tourney. I am sure this posting will get passed along to him so it will do him more good than any of his future opponents reading it. Ryan, consider this a public challenge from me to get in peak shape for states. Don't let your talent go to waste. As for Anthony Regalbluto, he is a sophmore with a solid chance to win State this season. I expect him to be one of the dominating wrestlers in the State at any weight over the next couple of years. Speaking of outstanding wrestlers, Gorby and Ward are both two of the very best to come out of WV over the past few years. They both have something to prove after not getting it done! last season at States. I expect both of them to have dominating State Tournament performances this year.

January 12, 1998
email: Newberar@Prodigy.com
comments: Having just returned from the Jefferson Co. Invitational, I would wish to congradulate them on a well run Tournament. Though these types of Tournaments are gruelling for Parents and Fans, they have truly elevated W.V. Wrestling to a higher plateau. It is very good to see schools from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia coming together in regular season matches and affording the boys (I'm sorry "Men") some real quality mat time. I want to congradulate my son Joel Newberry (125) and Brandon Williams (152), who took Champion Honors at that Meet and Matt George (119) who took Runner-Up Honors for some very entertaining matches. Hedgesville and Jefferson Co. are looking real good and Fairmont Senior is of course very exciting to watch. Joel is now a Senior, and as a Father , having watched a lot of Wrestling over the years, I am very proud of the Quality of Wrestling that our state is achieving. My congradulations to the Coaches and Parents and let's not forget the Wrestlers for elevating this sport to a fine level.

We are looking forward to a promisingly exciting Tournament this weekend in Fairmont, though Mom and I hope our "Bleacher Sores" heal up by then in preparation for new ones. Good luck to "All" W.Va. men who will be participating, and Many thanks to the great Fairmont folks for hosting it. "Go Big Reds".

January 12, 1998
email: comments: To Falcon Fan: Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I'll keep a closer eye on Junkins and the rest of your team. Bear in mind that I just report on what I read in the papers (I see about 11 from around the state on a regular basis) or see on this website. And as for my report, it's not necessarily the wrestlers whom I feel will place at the state tournament, it's the wrestlers who have caught my attention so far. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but thanks for reading! And on another note, "Sarge" does have pretty good information regarding Wirt County. Nothing's set in stone, but after talking to Joe Burton yesterday, it does look good for the Tigers. And speaking of the Tigers, the next Mat Lines will contain a little tidbit about Jason Miller and the LKC.

January 12, 1998
comments: jenny....I know you are very busy and do a outstanding job with WV Mat lines....Any chance to answer the Jan. 6...questions I had for you...thanks....

January 11, 1998
comments: I think some of the kids in the Eastern Pan. deserve some looks. 171 Zombro, Jefferson (1st Wheeling Duals, 1st JIT) Undefeated to date. Kirby 160 Jefferson Only 1 loss; Shetler 103 Hedgesville and Rigalbuto 112 Hedgesville. I think all 4 will be well known in the State by the end of the season.

January 11, 1998
comments: This comment is for the writer of the comment to JP.
You're obviously a Midland fan. This team always seems to be troubled by something. First, when you wrestled at North it was the "flu bug" -- now at Nitro it's knee problems. The team has to stay healthy to win the states and that seems to be a problem for Midland. Also on the subject of Adam Gorby, the voters for OUTSTANDING WRESTLER at Nitro must not have thought he was too shabby "pound for pound."

January 11, 1998
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: To David Satterfield: Jeremy Berry needs your E mail address and more info on your spring free style plans...specific plans. Glad you are interested!!

January 11, 1998
Weekly Usage Statistics are updated each Sunday, and I see that last week we had an all time high of 2,068 hits to the website. A small dip during Christmas and Thanksgiving Holidays, otherwise progressive increase in usage since the start of the season (as one might expect). Busiest times are just before 9:00 AM, Noon, just after 3 PM, and around 6:00 PM (I'm guessing that busy times during the day relate to students accessing the site before and after school and during lunch). Hmmmm. Over 2,000 hits per week. Who would have thunk it?

January 11, 1998
comments: Reply to JP. North Marion is a strong team but they are there for a reason. I don't know anything about John Marshall but I'm guessing they must be pretty good. About Adam Gorby, he is an excellent wrestler, but Jason Ward also is very talented pound for pound. If you looked at Saturday's match at Nitro, North placed third behind Midland and High. High beat North by 42 1/2 points. Midland would have given them a rougher time if the 160 pounder Nibert would've wrestled (earlier beat Besedich). Also, Midland's 171 Olson had a good shot a the championship if he did not hurt his knee. After the WSAZ we will see who will be the top team after the freshman from Midland moves to 103 which they've needed.

January 10, 1998
comments: I don't think North Marion is getting the respect they deserve in the coaches poll. I also think that Adam Gorby, pound for pound, is the best wrestler in the state. Jason Conaway is going to win the states at 189. Don't forget Besedich at 160 and Scott Moore moved to HWT. NORTH could be the team to beat in 1998!!!!!!!!!!

January 10, 1998
comments: As I told you earlier that Mike Miller had quit the team, and that the Drennens had quit. Well the word out now is that Mike Miller and both of the Drennens are coming back!! ..... So LOOK OUT for Mike Miller to be a 3X State Champion and Drennen to be a 3X State Champion. I am sorry about the confusion, but the Drennens and Mike Miller did quit. THEY ARE COMING BACK REAL SOON!! You wrestling teams out there better watch out, ESPECIALLY YOU OAK GLEN!!
ALL OF THIS INFORMATION HAS COME FROM A REAL GOOD SOURCE

January 9, 1998
comments: Frankfort is a force to be reckoned with this year. What is really upsetting is that the "little" guys get no respect. SEAN JUNKINS (112) and JASON TWIGG (119) have both posted 12-3 records, but ironically they don't get any consideration to be potential place-winners.WATCH OUT WEST VIRGINIA!!! Junkins and Twigg are coming to town.

January 9, 1998
comments: I'm upset that Jenny Sullivan only listed 4 wrestlers as potential AA/A placewinners at (112). It's only my opinion but Jimmy Johnson and James Harris better watch out for SEAN JUNKINS of Frankfort High.

January 9, 1998
comments: I was just wondering what this page is all about???? I am kinda new to this little thing and was wondering if some nice person could help me out. I am going to the Midland Duals next Thursday which should be very exciting. I wasn't much of a wrestling fan but the season has changed my attitude. I would like to see some wrestlers not lose so much weight. There are a few boys at my school who look like they have aids. I just don't think that is safe. I guess they are really dedicated to the sport and I guess that is great! Well I hope that a friend of mine who works really hard wins the state this year. He should!!! Thanks for your time........HHS Girl

January 9, 1998
email: macrame@Mrpost.com
comments: I was very surprised to hear that Mike Miller and the Drennans had resigned from the Wirt Co. wrestling team. I had predicted that Wirt would defeat Oak Glenn at the State Tourney this year. Let's see if it still comes true.

January 9, 1998
comments: I was just wondering what happened to Oak Glen? Why did they drop from 3A to 2A.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated December 9, 1997