West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2001 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 22, 2001
comments: Hello again. Anyway Incase you guys didn't know former 119 pounder Griffith at Winner's choice dropped out because of weight problems and well told many that he is moving up to 125. So I think that takes him out of 119 rankings. I can't wait to see Martinsburg at Hedegsville again. That was a great match and the 2nd ranked in the region Grizzleybird lost the match for them in the final match pin. I think Martinsburg will beat them this time. And I am looking for a major upset from the 119 match between Jason Drappo (Hedgesville) and Mike Barbour (Martinsburg). If Barbour can get the upset I look for the win going to Martinsburg. And Hedgesville fan spotting Martinsburg 10 points would be a mistake simply because Hedgesville hardly beat Martinsburg the First time. Well time to go. Later Days.

January 22, 2001
comments: With Greg Six in the line-up Oak Glen probably would have won the overall OVAC championship. But Greg's replacement Patrick McGillian a sophmore with no varsity experience did a nice job by placing 8th...

January 22, 2001
comments: This is high school wrestling. There's no need to get all fired up about who we "think" is going to win an individual or team title. We should be supporting all of the wrestlers for their hard work and dedication. Wrestling (as with all sports) is supposed to be FUN!!! It's becoming very "un-fun" with everyone's trash talking. Anyway good luck to all of the South wrestlers as well as the many other talented wrestlers in the state.

January 22, 2001
comments: to Wrestling Fan:
while reading ur post i read that u were angered about ppl taking down ppl and letting them up just to do it over again. i understand ur point but it is by no means cocky. some kids during the season have maybe one minute of mat time because kids go out and pin him/her in 5 to 15 seconds. taking down and letting them up can either be because they want to give the untalented wrestler mat time (this shows sportsmanship)or maybe perhaps they cant turn the man. thanx and i hope u understand y this is done

January 22, 2001
email: uspf@netassoc.net
comments: In response to the Tulsa Nationals both Seth and Anthony Easter won there classes in fact they dominated their classes. Martin from Ripley did well as he placed 5th. Patriot wrestlers David Jeffrey went 2-2 .David Dennis 2-2 Judd Billings 3=2 and Tyler Green was 4-2.Lubeck boys Brandon and Randy Tallhammer were tough and showed they were able to wrestle with the best in the nation.It was the first time for the six and I am sure they learned valuable experience. The East Fairmont boys did well but I do not know there exact results. They looked tough and proved they too were in the hunt.

January 22, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Ripley Middle School for placing 3rd at WSAZ tournament middle school division.

January 22, 2001
comments: Something that doesn't get much attention on here is the bracketing that is done at the state tourney.Too many times I have witnessed the "true"state finals matchup take place in the semi-finals.This year as with many years there are some great matchups in several weight classes and some predictions on who will be in the finals may not take place.Upsets...there are always upsets at the states and I believe this year will no different.I have always enjoyed the semis as much if not more than the finals.Many team titles have been won or lost on Friday night and during the consoles on Saturday.Best wishes to all the grapplers out there !

January 22, 2001
comments: Casey Hughes' note congratulating Jake Pyle for being the only Weir place finisher at the OVAC forgets Vince Magnone who lost in the finals at 189 on a very questionable penalty point 2-1.

January 22, 2001
email: brboggs@email.com
comments: Comments for the forum...
The WSAZ tournament preparation is surely a massive undertaking each year and seems to work out OK for the most part. This year the restrooms were no different from years past...we had wrestlers who couln't find any clean enough to use & finding one usable WITH toilet paper was a real prize! Of course some kids are going to mess them up no matter where they are but a building of this size with this many wrestlers & spectators using the facility extra custodians should be on staff to take care of the problems.

The WVSSAC requires an ambulance to be stationed at school football games...if this is important enough to them for the relatively small number of participants & spectators who attend those games then why not have an ambulance stationed at the Field House for both days of the WSAZ? The potential for injury is so much greater here...sure the student trainers do a great job and we're fortunate to have them there but when it comes to a possible spinal injury (like on mat #9 on Saturday) we need an EMS unit to be there ready to take care of it! If no volunteers are available then PAY a crew...finances shouldn't be a factor when it comes to the safety of our wrestlers!

January 22, 2001
comments: pshs finalists grogg[champion] metz[its up to metz] bosley [up to bosley] duncan [runner up] pickens[champion]casey dagget[champion] chris dagget[champion]arron mcartney[runner up]. good luck south and congrats on a dominating season so far this year. youve worked hard for it .

January 22, 2001
comments: Jamie Bolen won the WSAZ and he's gonna take his streak to the states and bear hug everyone. WHen Nick Stewart gets healthy and Steve Sexton INdependence will win the states.

January 22, 2001
comments: I just had a quick question that maybe someone would like to help me with. Is the object of wrestling to see how many take downs you can get. I am so tired of watching wreslters that are clearly better take the kid down ten times in the first period. I think it shows that the person is cocky. Isn't the point to pin your opponet. That's what I thought it was. Just wanted to see if maybe I was missing something here.

January 22, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Oak Glen on winning the AAA portion of the OVAC championships.Also impressive was the fact that they only missed being the overall winner by 2 points.They obviosly missed the points that Greg Six would have scored in this event.Hope you are recovering well Greg.Job well done OG!Also want to congratulate Zac McCray for his dominant performance at the Jr.High level at WSAZ!Way to go Zac!Hope to see you in the Patriot singlet someday!

January 22, 2001
email: tlpowers@westco.net
comments: I just wanted to thank everyone who attended the Morgantown High JV Tournament this past Saturday. We hope the short delay in the beginning didn't take away from the tournament as a whole. We hope to be holding this tournament for years to come. Giving these young wrestlers a chance to grow and get experience can only help wrestling in West Virginia. Thanks

January 22, 2001
comments: I agree that not all those who wrestled at WSAZ will wrestle for their high school team. However this one BIG TIME meet may also be the highlight of their career and may encourage them to try out for their high school team. On the other hand MANY of the junior high wrestlers WILL be wrestling for their high school team and NEEDED the experience as well as variety of athletes. Many have only wrestled with schools in their conference. The experience of the meet the level of competition the exposure that this tournament gave to these athletes and their parents IS a much needed opportunity.

I also agree with the excessive amount of people on the floor. I WANTED to be on the floor to film and take pictures for not only myself but for our school but even with a press pass I stayed in the stands. I found it very difficult to film from the stands due to the people standing around the mats between the mats and around the scoring tables. The one complaint that I do have is that at a tournament as large as this one I did not like to see students (very young students) keeping and calling time. This was too important of a tournament to allow this to happen. I understand the lack of adult volunteers may have been the cause for this to have happened but find a less important job for the kids to do other than keep time. On a more positive note my family school and I had a wonderful time and truly enjoyed the experience. And try to remember that tomorrows high school athletes are todays pee wee and junior high stars.

January 22, 2001
comments: To the forum poster who said they should eliminate the Jr/High Middle school division from the WSAZ ... I hve two words for you. STAY HOME. No one twisted your arm to get you to attend. If you were that upset then don't return next year. The young guys have just as much right to wrestle as the high schools. Most Jr. High/ Middle schools don't even have a conference championship to contend for much less a state tournament. The WSAZ is as close as we come to a state wide event. I do however understand your frustration with the number of folks on the floor. I can assure you that Coach Archer and his staff did all they could to make it run as smoothly as possible.

In response to Coach Stef's comments ... I agree on moving the kids especially down. If a kid fails to make weight after travelling several hours to compete I have no problem with moving him up if there is a space in the bracket. He'll most likely draw a seed anyway in that instance. I do know that a lot of that was because some coaches did not attend the seeding meeting or get their rosters in on time and wrestlers had to be added. As for the base weight question I also agree.

Congratulations to Blennerhassett Point Pleasant and Cabell Midland Freshmen who won their respective divisions. I was also very impressed with the kids from Greenbriar Co. we wrestled as they are tough hard nosed kids who wrestle hard from whistle to whistle.

As a final comment I was pleased to see the number of 75 lb'ers who elected to compete their and forgoe team points. I had two of my three "80" lb'ers wrestle down there. (the heaviest one is only 76-77 on his heaviest day and the lightest one is 71.5) both of the little guys placed and even though we got no team points I am still as proud of them as the other guys who placed. I hope we get that class back next season. Good luck to all in the coming weeks competition.

January 22, 2001
email: aapredictor@hotmail.com

comments: Individual Rankings

103:
Valles Weir
Dye Wirt
Bartrug StM
Biddle Will
Blake Ind
O'Neil Cam
112:
Gandee Rav
Biddle Will
Morris Brax
Dankovic Weir
Wince Rit
Brewer Cal
119:
Morris Cal
Auvil Graf
Bumgartner Rit
Whiteman Hun
Kotson Cam
Dye Wirt
125:
Hughes Cam
Six OG
Haddox Will
Sexton Ind ??
Lobis Rit
Metz Cal
130:
Lowers OG
Hughes Cam
Lynch SS
Stiles CB
Metz Cal
Harkness Rit
135:
Noel OG
Leach Graf
O'neil Cam
Smith Will
Gregg BS
Bosley Frank
140:
Leach Graf
Bosley Frank
Eckleberry OG
Dennis Wirt
Westbrook Will
Stewart Cam
145:
Kupfer Cam
Wood Ind
Childers StM
Snider Tyl
Flowers OG
Nicka WM
152:
Brown Cam
Bolen Ind
Seckman Will
Stutler Clay
Moore BS
Foster Brax
160:
Stickles OG
Toth SH
Dent Hun
Efaw Graf
Stewart Brax
Cottrill Cal/Lively GW
171:
Hebrock OG
Stotler BS
Brown Ind
Burge Cal
Butler Frank
Meyer Cam
189:
Bellville OG
Moyer Ind
Magnone Weir
Hashman StM
Delebreau Will
Clark BS
215:
Peck Clay
Stewart Ind
Karr Wirt
Raban Rav
Gibson Cal
Stover Lib/McNeely WE
275:
Naylor Rit
Caughey OG
Laughlin Cal
Cliver Clay
Hollenbach Graf
Berg Pet
Team Rankings
1 Oak Glen
2 Williamstown
3 Cameron
4 Calhoun
5 Independence
6 Wirt
7 Grafton
8 Braxton
9 Frankfort
10 Clay

Please feel free to contact me with your feelings. Thanks!

January 22, 2001
email: phanatikwv@yahoo.com

Phanatik's AAA Region 2 Rankings 1/21/01

These are my AAA Region 2 rankings. I'm sure you'll see them posted again in a few days under a different person's name as Mr. Ed copied my EXACT AAA rankings from 1/16 and posted them as his own today. Oh well I guess when someone thinks so highly of your rankings that they duplicate them to call his own it's a form of flattery right? LOL enjoy!

103                             112                             119
1 Sammy Bonasso FS              1 Kevin Ballam HED              1 Chantz Griffith JEF
2 Jeff Clark MUS                2 Jonathan Delligatti FS        2 Jason Drappo HED
3 Kurt Shumate NM               3 Matt Wilson NM                3 Brad Michalski FS
4 Brandon Kolb MAR              4 Ricky Brandau PRE             4 Jason Starsick NM
5 J.J. Flint EF                 5 Ryan Smith JEF                5 Michael Madia RCB     
6 Andrew Suter KEY              6 Cale Fazenbaker KEY           6 Tyler Haddix EF       
7 Tyler Moore JEF               7 Scott Taylor EF               7 Mike Barbour MAR
8 Ed Pifer HED                  8 Curtis Greer MAR              8 Ryan Smith KEY
9 Swiger RCB                    9 Brad Bowden RCB               9 Tommy Moore PRE
10 FORFEIT PRE                  10 Travis Hall MUS              10 Jim Weatherholtz MUS

125                             130                             135
1 Justin Jones MUS              1 Jared Hess HED                1 Devin Abshire JEF
2 Matt Bulford PRE              2 Justin Hawes JEF              2 Anthony Delligatti FS
3 Jeff Mayer RCB                3 Andrew Menas NM               3 Daran Hays NM
4 Corey Kyle KEY                4 Mathias Hickman EF            4 Justin Miller PRE
5 Shawn Moore EF                5 Hunter Delligatti FS          5 Bill Barbour MAR
6 Ben Floyd NM                  6 Mike Fellicio MUS             6 Shaun Shell HED
7 Alan Ford FS                  7 John Leasure KEY              7 Shane Morgan EF
8 Danny Schneider JEF           8 Nathan Thomas PRE             8 Kendall Hudson MUS
9 Eric Kessler MAR              9 Matt Pezzanite MAR            9 Morgan Clay KEY
10 Jeremy Bryant HED            10 FORFEIT RCB                  10 Fletcher Loder RCB

140                             145                             152
1 Danny Lord HED                1 Bryan Moats HED               1 Rick Hickman NM
2 Jed Ott NM                    2 Victor Beard MUS              2 Andre McDonald JEF
3 Justin Kessler MAR            3 Aaron Futten EF               3 Jonathan Holt FS
4 Darrell Dorsey JEF            4 Sean Agoney MAR               4 Ben Geary EF
5 Scott Gonzalez RCB            5 Scott Hartlieb FS             5 Justin Snyder HED
6 Robert Barnes EF              6 Warren Stewart FS             6 Pat White PRE
7 Louis Perrotti FS             7 Brandon Efaw NM               7 Justin Bird MAR
8 Tommy Bray KEY                8 Travis Metcalf KEY            8 Philip Nowak MUS
9 FORFEIT PRE                   9 John Shaffer PRE              9 Corey Riden KEY
10 FORFEIT MUS                  10 FORFEIT RCB                  10 Todd Amos RCB

160                             171                             189
1 Rob Osuch JEF                 1 Matt Miller EF                1 Matt Sternthal EF
2 Travis Durst MAR              2 Jeff Courtney FS              2 Matt Miller PRE
3 John Dunham HED               3 Joe Jackson MAR               3 Andrew Starsick NM
4 Brandon Geary EF              4 Andrew Everhart HED           4 Curtis Barber FS
5 Raymond Watkins MUS           5 Drew Day JEF                  5 Jason Baker HED
6 Steve Kephart KEY             6 C.R. Biser KEY                6 Ryan Fierro JEF
7 Larry Cassuccio NM            7 Jason Palmer NM               7 Travis Castleman MAR
8 Kirk Naternicola FS           8 Daniel Miller PRE             8 Jeremiah Goodwin KEY
9 Jeremy Humberson PRE          9 FORFEIT MUS                   9 Joey Bott MUS
10 Nick George RCB              10 FORFEIT RCB                  10 FORFEIT RCB

215                             275
1 Jeff Noechel EF               1 Chris Satterfield EF
2 Dustin Householder JEF        2 Ryan Bird MAR
3 Matt Delligatti FS            3 B.J. Pruitt MUS
4 Mike Renner MUS               4 Jay Singleton FS
5 Chuck Files HED               5 Josh Barrett HED
6 Adam Brewer KEY               6 Nick Hoover KEY
7 Justin McDonald MAR           7 Jared Toothman NM
8 Derrick Watkins NM            8 Josh Getz RCB
9 Jamie Gonzalez RCB            9 Josh Moran PRE
10 Witt PRE                     10 FORFEIT JEF

PROJECTED REGION 2 TEAM STANDINGS
(The top 4 will be VERY close!)
1 Hedgesville
2 East Fairmont
3 Fairmont Senior
4 Jefferson
5 North Marion
6 Martinsburg
7 Musselman
8 Preston
9 Keyser
10 Robert C Byrd

PROJECTED REGION 2 QUALIFIERS
9 Fairmont Senior
8 East Fairmont
8 North Marion
7 Hedgesville
7 Jefferson
6 Martinsburg
5 Musselman
4 Preston
1 Keyser
1 Robert C Byrd

PHANATIK

January 22, 2001
comments: Hey here's my A-AA rankings have fun reading them!

103:
Erica Dye WIRT
Anthony Valles WEIR MADONNA
Nick Blake IND
Justin Goneau OG
Noah O'Neil Cam
Bartrug St. Marys'
Ash Gandee Rav
Chris Morris Cal
Casey Biddle Will
Matt Morris Brax
Gary Dankovchik Weir
Todd Dureya Grafton
Corey Auvil Grafton
Ryan Bumgardner Ritchie
Justin Kotson Cam
Daniel Whiteman Hund
Drew Myers Frank
Matt Dye Wirt
Tyler Hughes Cam
Garret Six OG
Tim Haddox Will
Steve Sexton IND
Brandon Dye WIRT
Eric Metz Cal
Gaelen Lowers OG
Casey Hughes Cam
Scott Lynch Shady
Tommy Stiles Clay-B
Derek Metz Cal
Alan Tracewell Will
Eric Noel OG
Joel O'Neil Cam
Adam Leach Graf
Shane Smith Will
Frank Gregg Berk Spr
Devin Bosley Frank
Kyle Eckleberry OG
Chris Leach Graf
Derek Bosley Frank
Isaac Stewart Cam
Justin Dennis Wirt
Chad Snider Tyler Cons
Roger Kupfer Cam
Ben Wood IND
Terry Childers St. Marys'
Brad Nicka Weir Madonna
Steve Flowers OG
Casey Stewart Calhoun
Tucker Brown Cam
Matt Seckman Will
Jamie Bolen IND
Chris Miller WIRT
CJ Foster Brax
Robert Stotler Clay Co.
Derrick Stickles OG
Jamie Dent Hund
Drew Toth South Harrison
Trampas Efaw Graf
Danny Cottril Cal
Harry Rhodes IND
Ronnie Hebrock OG
Robert Stotler Berkeley Spr
Curt Meyer Cam
Chris Brown IND
Jake Pyle Weir
Carlin Yetts Weir Madonna
Phillip Bellville OG
Vince Magnone Weir
Wyatt O'Neil Cam
Josh Moyer IND
Pete Hashman St. Marys'
Ryan Delebreau Will
Donnie Peck Clay Co.
Joe Weaver Mag
Michael Keener Graf
Nick Stewart IND
Dana Raban Ravenswood
Charles Gibson Cal
Joey Caughey OG
Thomas Naylor Rit
Robert Berg Pet
Jeremy Laughlin Cal
Heath Cliver Clay
Ken Hollenbach Graf

I know that all 5 of the Region 1 189s can't place but I feel they are the best wrestlers in the state. That's why they are all ranked in the top 6. Thanks have a nice day!

January 22, 2001
From: fan comments: I look for Blaine Mayle of Buckhannon to be in the state finals at the end of Febuary. Watch and see!!!!!!!

January 22, 2001
comments: What happen to Tommy Karr(Wirt) how come he didn't wrestle at the wsaz if anybody knows why please tell us.

January 22, 2001
comments: Congratulations go out to Casey Hughes on his 7th place finish at OVAC. You wrestled a very good tournament and only being a Freshman and wrestling in a higher weight class is very tough and you pulled through. AA WV better watch out for this Freshman possibly a state finalist this year. Also Congratulations go out to his brother Tyler on a great tournament. Good Luck guys hope you have a great season.

January 22, 2001
comments: hmmmm...... just browsing and you know maybe we shouldn't fight so much about these rankings. I mean yeah sure we could fight about who should be where all day but this can and will be settled in Huntington. So everybody lets not get on here and be like " you little @#%$# why isn't Joe Smith ranked at 112? He beat Bill Jones from Blahville and he is 20-4." There is no need for it if Joe Smith is one of the 6 best he will prove it at states. No need to get upset at each other folks we are all going to see eventually :)

January 22, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Ty Hughes(runner-up) and Casey Hughes(7th) for their performance at OVAC. Could the Hughes Family be the top wrestling family in West Virginia? The Pickens Family at South aren't bad either. I know one thing you can't ignore the Kennedy brothers(Wheeling Park both won OVAC) after this weekend. Look out Ryan Metz and Matt Stevens it's getting crowded at the top! Train hard and stay focused!

January 22, 2001
comments: Does anyone know where A. Barnette (171)from Independece H.S was this weekend? I didn't see any results for him at the WSAZ. Is he hurt?

January 22, 2001
comments: Casey Hughes:
Hey while you were listing some great wv wrestlers throughout the tournement you skipped over Joe Weaver of Magnolia on his 4th place finish. I just thought I'd point that out.

January 22, 2001
comments: Room Slammers those have to be the worst predictions of the year. I really dont know what matches you have been watching. Some of the people you have ranked above people they have already beaten this year. I disagree with your pick 100%.

January 22, 2001
comments: Does anyone have any knowledge of how the WV boys did at the Tulsa Nationals this weekend also cant we make a place on the national page for the boys that go there and place Its considered one of the toughest tourneys there is I noticed that Seth and Anthony Easter won the tournament in 2000 looks like Nitro has a few more eventual 4X State Champs Coming Up I commend the Easter Boys You guys are great.

January 22, 2001
comments: Wow !!...I was out of town for a few days and returned to read the updated forum. I could hardly believe all the name calling and trash talk in 4 short days.They even blasted you DOC!! You work so hard to keep us informed and don't deserve that.I hope I have the opportunity to meet you at the state tourney and shake your hand and thank you for all you do on this site.It is fun to see all the predictions on team and individual results on here.Everyone has a right to their opinion and you can disagree without a knockout punch! Anyway congratulations go out to Calhoun for winning their own tourney to Huntington for winning the WSAZ tourney and Blennerhassett Jr. high for winning their division at WSAZ.

January 22, 2001
comments: Way to go Williamstown on winning the AA divsion of WSAZ this past weekend.

January 22, 2001
FROM ; WRESTLING FAN
CONGRATULATION TO FAIRMONT SENIOR JONATHAN HOLT FOR GETTING HIS 100TH WIN THIS WEEKEND AT THE RIPLEY DUELS.

January 22, 2001
comments: Congrats to Calhoun Red Devil Wrestlers for winning the Calhoun County Invitational. You guys have a tough team. I'm proud of you all.

January 22, 2001
comments: does anyone know when the coach`s poll for AA is going to come out???

January 22, 2001
comments: why isnt snuffer wrestling at 112 for independence?

January 22, 2001
comments: I would have to say next year at the WSAZ they need to quit bringing in so many Jr high teams The tournment was put behind on friday night cause there were so many of them. Pluss there were so many people on the floor who didnt need to be there like parents and such it made it hard for wrestlers to warm up. All the Junior highs are taking away from the Varsity wrestling and lets face it 80% of those pics that wrestled in the junior high tourny are not going ot be wrestling for there high schools.

January 21, 2001
comments: to mr. ed at 112 how come griffin stipitich is 8th and brian humphrey from wheeling park beat him at ovac's and he's not even on there

email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: We had some great wrestling at WSAZ's and I appreciate all Coach Archer his wife and everyone who helped at the announcer's table did to run the tournament smoothly. I do think we should re-think the concept of seeding in a bracketed tournament. If we are going to use records to seed wrestlers should not move after the seeding meeting on Wed. I did move a wrestler from HWT. to 190 in the meeting after everyone else was doing the same thing (he lost in his first match anyway and scored no points for us) but no one even questioned me as to whether my wrestler had made base weight. I know I'm just one person but bending the hand-shaking rule is one thing - moving kids after they have been seeded is another.

January 21, 2001
comments: to Superman: Dont come on this web page with no common sense. You really like martinsburg. I will spot you guys 10 points when they wrestle hedgesville. Wake up. One more thing. Barbour. What are you talking about. He will have a short state tournament so i don't think you should be calling him the "one" because he will be "one" of the first out of the state tournament.

January 21, 2001
comments: TO Room Slammers. I think you need a little help. What about lord from hedgesville. I mean he has beaten some good guys and he is not ranked. come on

January 21, 2001
comments: I was just wondering if anybody new about the 135 from fairmont delligatti's condition with his knee he injured at winners choice?

January 21, 2001
email: daehemevigicon@aol.com
comments: Hey. All this controversy about rankings I dun thinks should be argued. I think Sir William was right about berkeley county. They do have all the talent well atleast most of it. Anyway I have been going to a bunch of wrestling meets and people that catch my attention. Well the 119 pounder form St. Anthoney's NY. You talk about great he has to be the quickest person I have ever seen in my life. No need to worry about him in states or anything but I just thought I tell all of you 119 puonders that think they are the best they aren't. Later days.

January 21, 2001
comments: Hey just wanted to also congratulate Brad Nicka of Weirton Madonna on his 6th place finish at the OVACs and Jake Pyle of Weirton on his 8th place finish. They were the only wrestlers to place for their respective teams at this tournament and both deserve a lot of credit for some outstanding wrestling. Also Congratulations to Joey Caughey on his 3rd place finish and John Wells on his 5th place finish. Again congrats to all WV wrestlers who finished high in this prestigious tournament.

January 21, 2001
email: mcagle1050@aol.com
comments: It was with great regret and frustration that we had to cancel the Musselman Inv. due to weather. We had a quality tounament set up with some great match ups set to take place. We plan to run the tournament again next year. It is often hard to predict the weather but I feel we need to educate our Superintendents and athletic directors about the nature of our sport and its participants. Wrestlers will go anywhere and do anything to compete. We will drive ourselves and pay for hotels if necessary. I realize there are liability issues but have seen pee-wee wrestlers and parents travel and compete in a foot of snow. Good luck to all wrestlers in the closing weeks of the season.
January 21, 2001
comments: This is our predictions for the top 6 at the state and it is just our OPINIONS!!! ENJOY!

103: 1. Jacob Ferichs NIT      112: 1.Matt Easter NIT
2. Sammy Bonasso FS               2. Shane Grogg PS
3. Josh Gorayeb WP                3. Johnathon Delligatti FS 
4. Justin Conley PS               4. Kevin Ballam HEG
5. Lucas Cappas MHS               5. Kyle Turnball UN
6. Kurt Shumate NM                6. Matt Wilson NM

119: 1. Ryan Metz PS             125: 1. Nathan Kinsley UN
2. Matt Stevens PHS                2. Matt Bosley PS
3. Justin Stanley CM               3. Chris Johnson NIT
4. Adam Kennedy WP                 4. Matt Smith RIP
5. Brad Michalski FS               5. Billy Barrett HHS
6. Jason Drappo HEG                6. Nick Duncan PP             

130: 1. Robbie Williams HHS      135: 1. Devon Abshire JEF
2. Derek Kennedy WP                2. John Ducan PS
3. Jared Hess HEG                  3. Wes Lane HH
4. Justin Hewes JEF                4. Mike Muldrew JM
5. Bryce Pickens PS                5. Anthony Delligatti FS
6. Chris Gibbs CM                  6. Cody Shell BU

140: 1. Robbie Ripley NIT         145: 1. Brian Moats HEG
2. Blane Mayle BU                   2. Jason Mays HHS
3. Derek George JM                  3. Derek George JM
4. Josh Moore WP                    4. Aaron Fulton EF
5. Jed Ott NM                       5. Victor Beard MUS
6. J.J. Schmitt PS                  6. Sonny Dye PS

152: 1. Nathan Pickens PS          160: 1. Casey Daggett PS
2. Adam Schindler RIP                2. Chris Taylor JM
3. Rick Hickman NM                   3. Jon Bonecutter PP
4. Andre McDonald JEF                4. Craig Wallace PHS
5. Justin Snyder HEG                 5. Travis Durst MAR
6. John Holt FS                      6. Rob Osuch JEF

171: 1. Matt Miller EF              189: 1. Matt Sternthal EF
2. Chris Daggett PS                   2. Darren Marks PHS
3. Jeff Courtney FS                   3. Andrew Starsick NM
4. Joey Thomas HHS                    4. Robbie Key NC
5. Joe Jackson                        5. Josh Boya WP
6. Ray Linger ELK                     6. Ty Phalen RIP

215: 1. Aaron McCartney PS          275: 1. Matt Clay HH
2. Jeff Noechel EF                    2. Chris Morrison PS
3. Ryan Frazier CM                    3. Byron Wellman CM
4. Dustin Householder JEF             4. Chris Satterfield EF
5. John Moales HH                     5. Jeremiah McCourt BU
6. Mitch Hastings HHS                 6. B.J. Pruitt MUS

OW: Matt Miller EF

January 21, 2001
comments: Hey I just would like to be the first to congratulate all West Virginia wrestlers who made a great showing at OVACs and placed high for their respective squads. Special Congratulations go out to:
103: Joshua Gorayeb of Wheeling Park a 4th placer
112: Brian Humphreys of Wheeling Park a 6th placer
119: Adam Kennedy of Wheeling Park an OVAC CHAMPION!!!
125: Tyler Hughes of Cameron a runner-up
Garret Six of Oak Glen a 6th placer
130: Derrick Kennedy of Wheeling Park an OVAC CHAMPION!!
Gaelen Lowers of Oak Glen a 3rd placer
135: Eric Noel of Oak Glen a two-time OVAC CHAMPION!!!
Mike Muldrew of John Marshall a 4th placer
Joel O'Neil of Cameron a 5th placer
140: Kyle Eckleberry of Oak Glen a 6th placer
145: Roger Kupfer of Cameron a 3rd placer
152: Derrick George of John Marshall an OVAC CHAMPION!!!
Tucker Brown of Cameron a 3rd placer
160: Derrick Stickles of Oak Glen a runner-up
Chris Taylor of John Marshall a 3rd placer
171: Ronnie Hebrock of Oak Glen a 3rd placer
189: Phillip Bellville of Oak Glen an OVAC CHAMPION!!!
Vince Magnone of Weir a runner-up
    Wyatt O'Neil of Cameron a 3rd placer
215: John Wells of John Marshall ??? placer
275: Joey Caughey of Oak Glen a ??? placer

John Joey I missed you guys' matches cause I had to leave early due to road conditions. Great tournaments though update me or have someone tell me how you guys did. To all of the WV wrestlers who put on a great show for all us at the OVACs congratulations again!! It truly is an accomplishment to do what you all have done you should be proud!

January 21, 2001
email: billybobdb28@aol.com
comments: I dont know what all the fuss is about the rankings but berkley county has the best wrestlers overall in the STATE!! I mean look at this (and i will include Jefferson) 103 I will give you that one. then we have 112 where Ballam is going to break some of your other state wrestlers hearts. Drappo at 19 will be pretty tough but hey we cant have all the talent right? 130 we have hess and he is a monster when he wrestles.135 is the beast Abshire and he is unstopable. 140 will more likely be danny lord who i also predict to beat the west virginia most career wins. 145 will be Moats and 52 we will have mcdonald who when using his heart and not his muscles really is superman. 60 will be non other then the stone travis dicky durst 71 will have to be joe jackson i mean cmon how long has he been here anyway? its his time. well i guess i will go to 215 where we have householder who really goes up with his name the house. heavyweight should be not very competable but grizzlybird from martinsburg could wrestle like a bear if he groes a heart for the sport and he will be a force to be reckoned with!!!
OHHH YAAAHH!!!!!!!! and dont forget about that 35 from martinsburg who will sneak up on some people this year!!!!!

January 21, 2001
comments: To SOUTH Fan:
Next time you feel the need to look at the forum you should wear your reading glasses. I've been saying Parkersburg South will win states all year long. On Jan. 19 somebody wrote to me and told me I would be "eating my words."
To everybody else:
I'm going to be coming out with my "Super rankings" soon since everybody else is doing it. So everybody get ready to tell me how wrong I am.
To Doug Drappo:
I don't think Hedgesville is going to do as well at state as you think. The only ones who can score at the state tournament are Ballam Lord Moats Hess and "king of the cradle" Baker. Also I think at CVAL Martinsburg is going to beat Hedgesville this time. And you can count on "The One" Billy Barbour playing a big part in that. Getting the crap kicked out of him all last summer by "Little Rocky" has apparently toughened "Sweet" Billy B up because "Sir William" has gotten a lot better.
MARTINSBURG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2001
email: My state rankings. This is for all the predictors

1 Sammy Bonasso FS              1 Matt Easter NIT               1 Matt Stevens PKB
2 Jacob Frerichs NIT            2 Kevin Ballam HED              2 Ryan Metz PS
3 Lucas Cappas MGT              3 Kyle Turnbull UN              3 Justin Stanley CM
4 Joshua Gorayeb WP             4 Jonathan Delligatti FS        4 Adam Kennedy WP
5 Justin Conley PS              5 Matt Wilson NM                5 Josh Casto RIP        
6 David Campbell UN             6 Shane Grogg PS                6 Chantz Griffith JEF
7 Jeff Clark MUS                7 Jared Garvin MGT              7 Jason Drappo HED
8 Kurt Shumate NM               8 Griffin Stepitich JM          8 Brad Michalski FS
9 Jon Howard JM                 9 Jonathan McFarland BRK        9 Jason Starsick NM
10 Brandon Kolb MAR             10 Jeremy Ray HUNT              10 Baxter Fullen HUNT

1 Nathan Kinsley UN             1 Robbie Williams HUNT          1 Devin Abshire JEF
2 Chris Johnson NIT             2 Derek Kennedy WP              2 John Duncan PS
3 Matt Bosley PS                3 Chris Gibbs CM                3 Wesley Lane HH
4 Matt Smith RIP                4 Bryce Pickens PS              4 Cody Shell BU
5 Billy Barrett HUNT            5 Jared Hess HED                5 Mike Muldrew JM
6 Nick Duncan PP                6 Justin Hawes JEF              6 Anthony Delligatti FS
7 Kyle Mull                     7 Randy Bodkin HH               7 Jeff Perroots UN
8 Brian Williamson PKB          8 Mike DeVault MGT              8 Adam Smith RIP
9 Justin Jones MUS              9 Joe Roberts SA                9 Daran Hays NM
10 Doug Bailes NC               10 Derrick Cooper RIP           10 Bill Barbour MAR

1 Robbie Ripley NIT             1 Bryan Moats HED               1 Nathan Pickens PS
2 Danny Lord HED                2 Derek George JM               2 Adam Schindler RIP
3 Blane Mayle BU                3 Jason Mays HUNT               3 Rick Hickman NM
4 Jed Ott NM                    4 Victor Beard MUS              4 Andre McDonald JEF
5 Robb Pumphrey PP              5 Aaron Futten EF               5 Jonathan Holt FS
6 Justin Kessler MAR            6 Sonny Dye PS                  6 Mike Staley HH
7 Josh Moore WP                 7 Sean Agoney MAR               7 Matt Warner PP
8 Derek Carnefix HH             8 D.J. DeWees PtP               8 Josh Evans WW
9 Willis King RIP               9 Scott Hartlieb FS             9 Ben Geary EF
10 J.J. Schmitt PS              10 Scotty Marshall UNV          10 Justin Snyder HED

1 Casey Daggett PS              1 Matt Miller EF                1 Matt Sternthal EF
2 Craig Wallace PKB             2 Jeff Courtney FS              2 Robbie Key NC
3 Chris Taylor JM               3 Chris Daggett PS              3 Darren Marks PKB
4 Rob Osuch JEF                 4 Joey Thomas HUNT              4 Matt Miller PRE
5 Travis Durst MAR              5 Ray Linger ELK                5 Andrew Starsick NM
6 Jon Bonecutter PtP            6 Joe Jackson MAR               6 Josh Boyd WP
7 John Dunham HED               7 Chuck Pauley NIT              7 Curtis Barber FS
8 Brandon Geary EF              8 Andrew Everhart HED           8 Ty Phalen RIP
9 Donnie Hill UN                9 Drew Day JEF                  9 Jason Baker HED
10 Larry Conn HH                10 Alonzo Staats RIP            10 Ryan Fierro JEF

1 Jeff Noechel EF               1 Matt Clay HH
2 Aaron McCartney PS            2 Byron Wellman CM
3 Dustin Householder JEF        3 Chris Satterfield EF
4 John Wells JM                 4 Chris Morrison PS
5 Mitch Hastings HUNT           5 Jeremiah McCourt BU
6 Ryan Frazier CM               6 Ryan Bird MAR
7 Jonathon Moales HH            7 B.J. Pruitt MUS
8 Matt Delligatti FS            8 Fred Persinger LC
9 John Dilworth BU              9 Jay Singleton FS
10 Mike Renner MUS              10 Jody Pauley GW

January 21, 2001
email: jas112@earthlink.net
comments: To All: This is by far the easiest site to get people fired up. I wonder how all the posters up here would match up in their respective weight classes? Just having some fun. Go Hedgesville!!! regards Doug

January 20, 2001
comments: to all you predictors... stop ranking schindler in 160.. he has been at 152 for over 3 weeks... jeez.. do u all not pay attention and read what everyone else is writing?????????????

January 20, 2001

103                 112                  119
1. Banasso          1. Grogg             1. Metz
2.   Frenichs        2. Easter            2. Stanley
3. Conley           3. Delligatti        3. Stevens

125                 130                  135
1. Bosley           1. Williams           1. Abshire
2. Kinsley            2. Keaton          2. Duncan
3.Arnold             3. Roberts             3. Lane

140                 145                  152
1. Lord             1. Mays              1. Pickens
2. Mayle            2. Moats             2. Schindler
3. Ripley           3. George            3. Holt

160                 171                  189
1. Daggett          1. Miller            1. Sternthal
2. Taylor           2. Daggett           2. Key
3. Bonecutter       3. Courtney          3. Phalen

215                 HW
1. Mcartney         1. Wellman
2. Noechel          2. Clay
3. Wells            3. Morrison

January 20, 2001
email: SAGrappler@aol.com
comments: Does anyone know if Logan has a 130 or 135 lb. wrestler? If you do know would you send me this information. Thank You

January 20, 2001
comments: To South Fan: We all know you are the "best" in AAA. and possibly the world! But for the rest of us "also rans" cant we have our opinions on things without having to "shut up or put up". You talk but never leave a name so that the rest of us could get to know who's talking. Anyhow maybe AAA isn't enough for you because "Oak Glenn" gave you all 'the walk' you could handle. Have a great day.

January 20, 2001
comments: I know people get tired of all these south predictions so I was looking over old results. Don't know the details but if a kid who spent the year wrestling junior high can beat the high school state champ he is probably pretty good. Now he has had a season wrestling against the competition that South wrestles. May not sneak up on anybody but may surprise the casual fan. ANyone know any details.
MAWA Preliminary District Wrestling Tournament
March 18 2000 - Oldham Center
Weight: 105
1st: S Grogg PAT 2- 0- 0
2nd: M Easter PAT 1- 1- 0
3rd: T Naso O 1- 1- 0

January 20, 2001
comments: To the person with AAA predicitions I can only guess your South?
3 things:
1- Grogg is a good wrestler but he will not beat Easter I think 5 or 6 would be about right
2- Bryce Pickens at 130 He should win some matches but I dont think he can pull off a top 6
3- Most Outragously are you nuts about 215 Look for Noechel to dominate come saturday night if you recall the Mccartney/Six match McCartney won 4-1 IN both meetings vs Six Noechel won by MAj dec. I believe once by 10 and once by 12 so will see saturday night

January 20, 2001
comments: I can't believe with all the quality wrestlers North Marion has none are in the top 3!

January 20, 2001
comments: whats happening at 189??? how did sternthall stay #1 and marks drop to #4. marks dominated sternthall. as he will the rest of west virginia competiton the rest of the season. "STATE CHAMP" DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 20, 2001
comments: A comment about all the bickering about who should be ranked where etc. In maryland there are two rankings one by I believe the coaches which comes out in the maryland wrestler newsletter and then one on a website there is the peoples choice rankings. This ranking allows people from around the state to send in there rankings then they are collated into a ranking on the website. Maybe this is something that can be explored in the future in wv. I would believe this takes a good bit of work but could be fun. Anyway anyone have any thoughts on this. Anyway as to all the debate about the fairmont sr. hedgesville dual at wheeling. Its in the past nothing will change the result let it go and look to the future. Personally I'd much rather see us win regionals over them then a dual but thats my personal feeling. Again what is done is done lets concentrate on what needs to get done.

January 20, 2001
comments: To Superman
About your comments concering the State. I am a SOUTH fan and until there is a team that can "put up" they need to shut up. We can talk the talk because we can walk the walk. What team in AAA do you think can seriously contend with SOUTH for the title? I don't think you can honestly think of any. We wil have 6-8 wrestlers still alive in the semis and possibly the same in the finals. My prediction SOUTH will have at leat four state champions and win the team title very easily! SOUTH fans don't stick their foot in their mouth. Good luck to the rest of he state for second place.

January 20, 2001
email: To The Predictor
comments: Predictor it's easy for everyone to see that your from Parkers burg South. Your predictions are a riot. I can see why you don't want anyone to know who you are. Your good for a few laughs anyway.

January 20, 2001
comments: Honestly this is in no way offense to anyone but i am tired of seeing this every time when they talk about a tounry they have to write something about the Girl wrestling in it I think that novelty is over its common anymore but why to they take up space in these new papers to write about a girl when they could be writing bout the top wrestlers in the Tournment I tell ya sometimes i wonder about these Newspapers.

January 20, 2001
comments: to "the predictor" those are by far the worst predictions i've ever seen. i would suggest knowing a little something about wv wrestling before trying to make predictions.

January 20, 2001
comments: To Phanatik
WEST VIRGINIA is a SMALL STATE. NO matter how hard you try u are going to have pretty much the same people in the same order in any rankings. Pluss that is that person OPINION and you should respect that!!!!!!!

January 20, 2001
comments: To Phanatik: Nailing the top 10 wrestlers isn't very hard the order is the important thing.

January 20, 2001
comments: I would just like to comment on Phantiks picks they are very well thought out as you can see and seom others are good some are off the wall but thats ok one thing some people need to take into consideration before they rank is how the wrestlers are going to perfom in a big situation trust me the best wrestlers dont just win the tough matches they win the tough matches in tough situations and for high stakes so just remember everything you see is practice until the state tournament the greatest coach i know taught me that.

January 20, 2001
comments: These ranking are ridiculou sometimes dont base your rankings on what team u are from gee i wonder what team im talkin about hmmmmm thats tough

January 20, 2001
comments: Nice job Joe Weaver so far in the ovac tournement. You've made it to the semi finals only to more to go. I will be there to watch you win it all. Good Luck my prayers are with you.

January 20, 2001
comments: Great job John Marshall wrestlers at the OVACs!

January 20, 2001
comments: Matt Barns from Nitro did not quit the team! He was injured in Keyser in early December. He has two broken ribs. The guy that injured him was diqualified. It's pretty hard to wrestle and be agressive with broken ribs.

January 20, 2001
comments: Here are the top 4 in each weight class this might be the truest poll out ENJOY!!!!!

103               112                     119

1 Sammy Bonasso   1 Matt Easter          1 Matt Stevens
2 Jacob Frerichs  2 Kevin Ballam         2 Justin Stanley
3 Lucas Cappas    3 Kyle Turnbull        3 Ryan Metz
4 Joshua Gorayeb  4 Johnathan Delligatti 4 Adam Kennedy

125                130                 135

1 Chris Johnson    1 Robbie Williams   1 Wesley Lane
2 Nathan Kinsley   2 Derek Kennedy     2 John Duncan
3 Matt Bosley      3 Chris Gibbs       3 Mike Muldrew
4 Matt Smith       4 Bryce Pickens     4 Cody Shell

140                     145             152

1 Robbie Ripley         1 Jason Mays    1 Nathan Pickens
2 Danny Lord            2 Bryan Moats   2 Andre Mcdonald
3 Devin Abshire         3 Victor Beard  3 Rick Hickman
4 Jed Ott/Blayne Mayle  4 Aaron Futten  4 Travis Durst

160                171                189

1 Casey Dagget     1 Matt Miller     1 Darren Marks
2 Adam Schindler   2 Chris Dagget    2 Matt Sternthal
3 Craig Wallace    3 Jeff Courtney   3 Robbie Key
4 Jon Bonecutter   4 Joey Thomas     4 Curtis Barber/Starsick

215                    HWT

1 Jeff Noechel        1 Matt Clay
2 Aarn Mcartney       2 Chris Satterfield
3 Mitch Hastings      3 Byron Wellman
4 Dustin Householder  4 Jeremiah Mcourt

103 I believe Bonasson is a solid wrestler and should win the state title but Frerichs is no joke and he is here to make some noise.

112 Matt Easter I believe is a shoe in for the state title he is aggresive determined and mean as nails but Ballam Delligatti and Turnbull are on the hunt for the title

119 Stevens Metz and Stanley are all good wrestlers Metz has defeated Stevens once but Stevens is determined and looking for his third straight title and a OW

125 Chris Johnson is an outstanding wrestler with great quickness and exceptional strength he knows what it takes to be a champion Kinsley also a good wrestler but i think Johnson owns the 125 class.

130 Robbie Williams and Derek Kennedy would be an exceptional title match but look for Chris Gibbs to come in and upset one of these 2 wrestlers possibly.

135 Wesley Lane has wrestled well all season and is determinded to win i think Duncan could upset him on a wonderful and i mean wonderufl day.

140 Robbie Ripley is an aggresive wrestler with anger determination like no other i think he is also a shoe in at this years tournament

145 Jason Mays should win the 45 class Moats could also win at states and dont count beard or Futten out of the race just yet

152 Nathan Pickens is strong as an ox but not as strong as Mcdonald i think Pickens will win but its going to be a war.

160 Casey Dagget should have this class wrapped up Schindler is a good wrestler but the competition is going to play a major factor

171 Matt Miller is looking for his third straight title and an OW but Chris Dagget might not let that happen so easy.

189 Darren Marks has been wrestlng great but this class has been going back and forth all year it could be anyones game.

215 Jeff Noechel = DOMINANT!!!!

HWT Matt Clay is looking for a title this year he is strong as an ox but so is Chris Satterfield with Chris's quickness and wrestling ability he or Wellman could win the title this year. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WRESTLERS I HOPE U HAVE ENJOYED THIS!!!!!!

January 19, 2001
comments: to HEDGESVILLE FAN: the score of the Hedgesville Fairmont Sr. dual at wheeling duals was 35(fs) to 25(Hed) fairmont was without there varsity 160 but had a jv(lost to your varsity 6-5) to fill in for him and also there HWT where fairmont gave a forfeit also hartlieb pinning moats is part of the game thats what makes it exciting and if moats beats him fairmont still comes out on top.

January 19, 2001
email: PhanatikWV@yahoo.com
comments: Gee nice rankings "Predictor". It seems as if you have copied and pasted my EXACT rankings and then switched a few wrestlers around. I would hope that in the future our fine Editor will recognize any blatant attempts to copy others' work - and refrain from posting it.
PHANATIK
Editor's note: I ain't that smart....

January 19, 2001
email: jas112@earthlink.net comments: Hi all: Got to love those latest predictions especially at 112. Did Ballam retire? I see that Hedgesville did move up to somewhere were they should be. Now lets wrestle. Doug

January 19, 2001
comments: what happened to the winners choice results?? several rounds are missing along with the brackets??
Editor's note: Yikes, this is the second time someone has mentioned this, and my apologies to the first. A glitch. Rounds should all be there, but I chose not to include the brackets. It should work now. Let me know

January 19, 2001
comments: You are correct in your assumption that due to weather the Jefferson was crammed into one day on Saturday. They did "follow the leader" eliminations thus anyone who wrestled back and had their 5 matches for the day either had to forfeit or during the finals won or lost with a coin toss. Wrestling finished near midnight that evening.

January 19, 2001
comments: fairmont senoir did not wrestle back to back to back to back as hedgesville did. they had a break in between as hedgesville did not and wrestled four duals in a row. as for being out of shape four duals in a row is a tough assignment for any wrestler even the ones in tip top shape. as far as baker and snyder being out -- they are both supposedly to be back on monday 1-22-01.

January 19, 2001
January 19, 2001

103                 112                  119
1. Frenichs         1. Grogg             1. Metz
2. Banasso          2. Easter            2. Stanley
3. Conley           3. Delligatti        3. Stevens

125                 130                  135
1. Bosley           1. Kennedy           1. Abshire
2. Smith            2. Williams          2. Duncan
3.Kinsley           3. Pickens           3. Lane

140                 145                  152
1. Lord             1. Mays              1. Pickens
2. Mayle            2. Moats             2. Schindler
3. Ripley           3. George            3. Holt

160                 171                  189
1. Daggett          1. Miller            1. Sternthal
2. Taylor           2. Daggett           2. Key
3. Bonecutter       3. Courtney          3. Phalen

215                 HW
1. Mcartney         1. Wellman
2. Noechel          2. Clay
3. Wells            3. Morrison
These are my predictions based on what I feel these boys are capable of. I have followed the sport for years and these are some of the obviouse picks. But as everybody knows anything can happen at States. It depends on how bad these boys want it!!!!! If you have the talent and the heart to go with it you can pull anything off. good luck!!!

January 19, 2001
comments: about the AAA state final predictions.
thanks i believe thats a good assesment. but if you could clear up one thing? who here is being picked to win. if the person listed first i believe ill have to disagree with the choice at 189. marks from pkb is coming into his own. the way he's wrestling right now he may not lose another match this season. and no offense to any other wrestlers but somethings are meant to be. i also believe that metz at 119 from south and daggett 171 will also wind up in the finals. miller and courtney need to watch out and not under estimate chris....he'll be there. and how about stevens vs. metz satuday night lets get it on!!!!!!!

January 19, 2001
comments: Raban didnt get beat out by Hollenbach. I think that Raban should have placed but he had to wrestle Weaver. Weaver beat him out Hollenbach got lucky and got into the easy bracket. Raban beat Hollenbach at states last year and the year before that. I am another 215lbs. wrestler and that is why I am putting this on here.

January 19, 2001
comments: Whoever put the predictions down did an ok job but some we think are wrong like in 119 wheres Ryan Metz remember he beat Matt Stevens from PHS back when PS wrestled PHS. Another one is 125 what about Kinsley from UNV. We think it will be Bosley and Kinsly in the finals. The last one is Chris Daggett he has a good shot at beating Courtney from FS but the 171 weight class is going to be a very close matches for Daggett Courtney and Miller.

January 19, 2001
comments:

103                              112                             
1 Jacob Frerichs NIT      1 Matt Easter NIT            
2 Sammy Bonasso FSHS      2 Kevin Ballam HEG 
3 Joshua Gorayeb WP       3 Jonathan Delligatti FSHS
4 Lucas Cappas MHS        4 Matt Wilson NMHS
5 Steve Renner HHS        5 Shane Grogg PSHS
6 Kurt Shumate NMHS       6 Kyle Turnbull UN      
7 Dave Cambell UN         7 Jared Garvin MHS
8 Justin Conley PSHS      8 Griffin Stepitich JM 
9 Jon Howard JM           9 Jeremy Ray HHS
10 Brandon Kolb MUS       10 Jonathon McFarland BRK

119                              125
1 Justin Stanley CM       1 Chris Johnson NIT
2 Ryan Metz PSHS          2 Nathan Kinsley UN
3 Matt Stevens PHS        3 Matt Smith RIP
4 Adam Kennedy WP         4 Matt Bosley PSHS
5 Jason Drappo HEG        5 Billy Barrett HHS
6 Brad Michalski FSHS     6 Nick Duncan PP
7 Jason Starsick NMHS     7 Brian Williamson PHS
8 Josh Casto RIP          
9 Baxter Fullen HHS

130                              135
1 Robbie Williams HHS     1 Devon Abshire JEF
2 Derek Kennedy WP        2 Wes Lane HH
3 Chris Gibbs CM          3 Cody Shell BU
4 Jared Hess HEG          4 John Duncan PSHS
5 Justin Hewes JEF        5 Daran Hays NMHS
6 Randy Bodkin HH         6 Anthony Delligatti
7 Mike Devault MHS        7 Mike Muldrew
8 Bryce Pickens PSHS      8 Jeff Paroots 
9 Derrick Cooper RIP      9 Adam Smith
10 Jessie Nott PP         10 Bill Barbour 

140                           145
1 Robbie Ripley NIT      1 Jason Mays HHS
2 Danny Lord HEG         2 Brian Moats HEG
3 Blane Mayle BU         3 Derek George JM
4 Jed Ott NMHS           4 Victor Beard MUS
5 Josh Moore WP          5 Aaron Futton EF                   
6 Justin Kessler MAR     6 Sean Agoney MAR
7 Robb Pumphrey PP       7 Sonny Dye PSHS
8 Derek Carnefix HH      8 Scott Hartlib FSHS
9 JJ Schmitt PSHS        9 DJ DeWees PP
10 Willis King RIP       10 Scott Marshall UN

152                              160
1 Nathan Pickens PSHS       1 Casey Daggett PSHS
2 Rick Hickman NMHS         2 Chris Taylor JM      
3 Adam Schindler RIP        3 Craig Wallace PHS
4 Andre McDonald JEF        4 Travis Durst MAR
5 Jonathon Holt FSHS        5 Rob Osuch JEF
6 Justin Snyder HEG         6 John Dunham HEG
7 Mike Staley HH            7 Brandon Geary EF
8 Ben Geary EF              8 Larry Conn HH
9 Josh Evans WW             9 Donnie Hill UN
171                                189
1 Matt Miller EF            1 Matt Sternthal EF
2 Jeff Courtney FSHS        2 Andrew Starsick NMHS
3 Chris Daggett PSHS        3 Robbie Key NC
4 Joey Thomas HHS           4 Darren Marks PHS
5 Ray Linger ELK            5 Josh Boyd WP
6 Joe Jackson MAR           6 Matt Miller PRE
7 Andrew Everhart HEG       7 Curtis Barber FSHS
8 Drew Day JEF              8 Jason Baker HEG
                            9 Ty Phalen RIP
                            10 Ryan Fierro JEF
215                              275
1 Jeff Noechel EF            1 Matt Clay HH 
2 Aaron McCartney PS         2 Byron Wellman CM
3 Dustin Householder JEF     3 Chris Morrison PSHS
4 Mitch Hastings HUNT        4 Chris Satterfield EF
5 Ryan Frazier CM            5 Jeremiah McCourt BU
6 Jonathon Moales HH         6 B.J. Pruitt MUS
7 John Wells JM              7 Fred Persinger LC              
8 Matt Delligatti FS         8 Ryan Bird MAR
9 Ryan Bird  MAR             9 Jody Pauley GW
                             10 Jay Singleton FSHS

TEAMS AT STATES
1 Parkersburg South
2 Nitro
3 East Fairmont
4 Huntington
5 Fairmont Sr
6 Hedgesville
7 University
8 Cabell Midland
9 North Marion
10 Herbert Hoover
11 John Marshall
12 Wheeling Park
13 Jefferson
14 Parkersburg
15 Ripley
16 Martinsburg
17 Buckhannon
18 Morgantown
19 Point Pleasant
20 Musselman

DUEL TEAMS

1 Parkersburg South
2 Huntington
3 Fairmont Sr.
4 Hedgesville
5 University
6 Herbert Hoover
7 North Marion
8 Wheeling Park
9 East Fairmont
10 Nitro
11 John Marshall
12 Jefferson
13 Cabell Midland
14 Ripley
15 Parkersburg
16 Martinsburg
17 Point Pleasant
18 Buckhannon
19Musselman
20 Morgantown

Gemme Some thoughts on these

January 19, 2001
comments: Hey Doc
Agreed Blosser writes very well and Marion County does appreciate his and everyone else's attention to this great sport. My response was directed to a uniformed reader of Blosser…not meant in any way to be-little Mr. Blosser.

Hey Drappo Do not write Delligatti off… He will be in the finals.

January 19, 2001
comments: To Simon: How about you don't take that 12 and we take are 12 at 145. Don't see moats getting pinned by your jv again. Didn't think about that did you. NOPE

January 19, 2001
comments: First like to congratulate the eagles on their performance at the winners choice the team did well despite not being full strength. Like to also wish them good luck for this coming weekends Mussleman Inv. To your question about matches won at the Jit by forfeit. You are correct it was due to the 5 matches in one day rule. However the jit did something I've never seen in 10 yrs. To determine placewinners when both wrestlers reached the cons. finals and both had 5 matches already they flipped a coin to see who won. It doesn't count as a loss on anyones record but still it was strange. Anyway re: supermans comments at Berk Co Champ your team had all your starters the eagles were missing Baker and Snyder and they still beat your team. We will see what happens at cval.

Now unfortunately the eagles it appears will be without Jared Hess 130 who at the Fairmont Inv. may have broken a bone. The doctors have taken a couple xrays since then but still need the swelling to go down more to see how much damage was done. They are planning to wait 2 weeks then xray again. Depending on that xray he should be back by regionals or unfortunately not at all. This is a bad blow as Hess in my own biased opinion was doing extremely well this season. While not spectacular he was winning and was undefeated in our region. I feel he could have possibly gone far in the state tournament but now we don't even know if he will be able to wrestle there. Anyway good luck to him on his recovery hopefully he can come back. In the meantime the team will carry on and good luck again to the eagles this weekend.

January 19, 2001
comments: To uncle D. Hedgesville is by no means "out of shape". And as I recall "Senior" did not wrestle "b to b to b to b" and in shape or not this will take a lot out of one. regards
Doug

January 19, 2001
comments: Whoever put the predictions down did an ok job but some we think are wrong like in 119 wheres Ryan Metz remember he beat Matt Stevens from PHS back when PS wrestled PHS. Another one is 125 what about Kinsley from UNV. We think it will be Bosley and Kinsly in the finals. The last one is Chris Daggett he has a good shot at beating Courtney from FS but the 171 weight class is going to be a very close matches for Daggett Courtney and Miller.

January 19, 2001
comments: what was score of Ballam/Conley match at St. Alban duals? Also Conley is listed as unbeaten against wv wresttlers are you only counting losses at their current weight or are you not counting because he was wrestling for the B team?

January 19, 2001
email: JH145DEADSEXY@aol.com
comments: Doc
I read your poll and actually I agree with alot of your picks. Folks you could nit-pick all day about stuff like "Oh Gooberville beat Southtown in a dual so they should be ahead." If we do this folks then eventually you will get mipped in the butt because most likely Davidsburg beat Gooberville in the Davidsburg Invitational by 70 points while Southtown beat Davidsburg in a dual meet 41-23. All of the who beats who is BS. NO ONE IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO PICK THE EXACT RANKINGS SO LAY OFF OF DOC AND EVERYONE ELSE. If anyone picks the exact finish of the top ten teams then my friend you are the smartest person I know or at least the luckiest one. I mean yes I thought JM should have been ahead of Huntington and other little stuff but if you look at it Jm lost to Hoover and Huntington beat Hoover. So how do you use criteria? Lets just forget all this hypothetical mumbo-jumbo. Hedgesville fan I am sorry he had you 11th just hope the eagles can back you up and if they can more power to you. To the Park fan the reason Park is behind EF is because EF has 4 potential state finalists Park only has only 1 or 2 plus Park is in Region 1 so maybe Park won't get as many kids out ever think of that? OK folks I am going to the OVAC tournament today so I will leave you. If you have never been to an OVAC tournament it is quite a spectacle. Wrestling starts at 11 this morning and 6 tonight (quarterfinal rounds). I see no one has posted first day results so if anyone could that would be great. All I know is Cameron has 10 in the second round.
Editor's note: Nah, I don't mind a little ribbing. If I wasn't prepared for such, I wouldn't have put up the poll. I'm an old fat man whose remaining hair is turning gray and whose skin gets thicker by the week. Actually, since posting the poll, we have flushed out a couple of tid-bits: Namely, that Hedgesville's 189 pounder Jason Baker who placed 4th at the Max Horz went down in the quarters at Jefferson by forfeit and missed the Winners Choice. Hedgesville was without the service of both Baker and Justin Snyder at 152 (who placecd 4th at Jefferson) at the Winners Choice so this did affect their outcome there. Wonder if they are injured or something??

I looked more closely at the Jefferson Invitational results and saw several final matches won by default - is this correct? What happened there? Did the tournament get compressed into one day beacuse of the weather, and did several wrestlers run out of matches and unable to get to the end of their bracket????

Also, it was pointed out that Jefferson was without the services of two of their heavy-hitters - Andre McDonald and Dustin Householder -- at the Jefferson tournament, and Ripley's Adam Schindler became ill with this bug which is hitting everyone and missed the Winners Choice.

Which brings up another conundrum: If you are going to presume to do a poll, do you base it on how each team would do provided that all their wrestlers are healthy and can compete - or do you base it on who actually wrestled last week?

We can all agree that the polls are for fun - but they do serve to spark interest in the sport, especially for the less-than-die-hard wrestling fans. The major newspapers are interested in polls. That's the kind of thing they like to put on their sports pages. Any exposure in the media is good for the sport. This year, for the first time in the history of this website, I got an email from a sports editor of the Charleston Gazette inquiring when the polls would be available. For better or for worse, the fans and sports editors are interested in polls. Anything that we can do to spark intrest and publicity for our sport is good.

January 19, 2001
comments: Superman
To reply to your comments regarding Blosser's article. I am from Marion County. He is new to the area as well as wrestling. He has based his "insight" solely upon what he witnessed at the Winner's Choice.....
Editor's note: Mr Blosser writes well. We wrestling fans should be grateful for ANY coverage we get in the major newspapers. Does anyone out there think the sport is overexposed?????

January 19, 2001
comments: A Reply to Mr. Drappo…
Fairmont Senior also wrestled "back to back to back to back matches" and thus defeated Hedgesville. Are you stating Hedgesville is out of shape??? I disagree totally; your coaches and wrestlers are first class.

January 19, 2001
comments: 103: Sammy Bonasso FS vs. Jacob Frerichs NIT
112: Matt Easter NIT vs. Kyle Turnbull UN or Jonathon Delligatti FS
119: Matt Stevens PKB vs. Justin Stanley CM
125: Chris Johnson NIT vs. Matt Bosley PS or Matt Smith RIP
130: Robbie Williams HUNT vs. Derek Kennedy WP
135: Devin Abshire JEF vs. John Duncan PS
140: Danny Lord HED vs. Jed Ott NM
145: Jason Mays HUNT vs. Derek George JM
152: Nathan Pickens vs. Adam Schindler RIP
160: Casey Daggett PS vs. Craig Wallace PKB
171: Jeff Courtney FS vs. Matt Miller EF
189: Robbie Key NC vs. Darren Marks PKB
215: Jeff Noechel EF vs. Aaron McCartney PS
275: Chris Satterfeild EF vs. Matt Clay HH

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER: Matt Stevens PKB

January 19, 2001
comments: to DOUG DRAPO: fairmont was with out there heavyweight in that dual and could of easily beat hedgesville by 12 more (taking hedgesvilles forfeit away at HWT and giving fairmont 6 for a pin)

January 19, 2001
comments: About that Magnolia beating williamstown I have no clue where it came from It wasn't from a Magnolia wrestler so please don't say that magnolia is trash talking........Thank you

January 19, 2001
comments: i don't know how you can be so sure that south is going to win srates. YES they should according to stats but what you have got to understand is that any team can be beat on any give day. I think you should hold your comments til after states before you find yourself eating your own words

January 19, 2001
comments: JIT Tourney the editor mentioned Jefferson low finish. Jefferson had two of their top wrestlers out McDonald and Householder. Much talk up there in the E.P. but I think Jefferson is getting their line-up in order.

January 19, 2001
comments: Congrates to all our South boys!!!! They have again done an outstanding job so far this season. They have traveled across 4 states to seek out the toughest competion. South has been nationaly ranked and gave steller proformances all around. We have an outstanding team as well as an emense amount of individual talent. The state tourney will be fun and South will win the team title the intersesting part will be to see which of our boys take individual crowns!!!! Good Luck boys!!!! We love you!!!! thanks coaches you guys are great!!!!

January 18, 2001
comments: Re: Question dated 1/17/01 about Matt Barnes Nitro... quit the team; so did Chuck Pauley.

January 18, 2001
comments: Hedgesville # 11? What is wrong with this picture. They have had some wrestlers out the last few weeks and that is why they have finished down in the tourney like "winners choice" as you referred to. They have beaten every team in duals that they faced this year and should of beat fairmount senior had it not been for back to back to back to back matches that they had to wrestle at the whelling park duals. Come state time they will have 2 and very possibly 3 champs and possibly 4-5 others standing on the platform after its all over. At 112 Forget about delligati and Turnbull they will be going for 3-4 Kevin Ballum is going to give Matt Easter all he can handle and Danny Lord is taking home the gold and at 145 as you guys out there put it "fruit looped" Bryan Moats is taking home O.W. along with the trophy. Hedgesville!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2001
comments: i would like to see an updated ranking of wrestlers. mostly in regards to the 119 and 189 pound weight classes. matt stevens of phs should be in at #1 in the 119 lb. regardless off past results this season he is the 2x defendig state champ. also at 189 darren marks of phs recently defeated sternthall of e. fairmont by a score of 3-1. sternthall shot exactly one time the whole match. marks dominated him completely. its outragous not to consider him the favorite to win state. after the msac it will be apparent that these two wrestlers are the cream of the crop.

January 18, 2001
comments: To Casey Hughes... Good luck at the OVACs this weekend! You've worked hard to get where you are today and I'm proud of you! Even though you're only a freshamn you'll make your mark on WV High School wrestling this year. I have no doubt you'll go to the OVACs tonight and show everyone there who the best wrestler is! Keep reaching for your dreams and you're sure to get to them sooner than you think. Wrestle your matches smart and one at a time. You have enough talent and natural ability to get far. Good luck this season Case! ~ Smurf ~

January 18, 2001
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: Good job to the Beckley Central Eagles last night at our league match againts Oak Hill and Raleigh West Our boys are looking better and better every match. Here is how they faired individually.

45 Justin Selleck 2-0
50 Drew Sauls 2-0
55 Tyler Toney 2-0
60 David Ramey 0-2
65 Rusty Shelton 2-0
70 Chris Sodosky 1-1
75 Zack Amick 2-0
80 John Hopkins 1-1
85 Drew Ball 2-0
90 Kregg Hanson 1-1
97 Zac Smith 1-1
115 Carter Wicks 1-1

January 18, 2001
comments: This is for the forum
comment: In response to Williamstown barely beating Magnolia Williamstown has not even wrestled Magnolia this year. They wrestle in February. CHECK YOUR SOURCES!!!

January 18, 2001
email: wvmatman@hotmail.com
comments: The wrestling fourms for the Parkersburg District Middle Alantic Wrestling Quailfier that were passed out last weekend at Clarksburg have the wrong mailing zip code on them . they should read mail to Mike Johnson 2301camden ave Parkersburg wv 26101 NOT 26143 Sorry for the mistake. The new forms are listed here. Hope to see you at what i believe is the TOUGHEST tournament in the country besides the high school nationals in Pittsburg. Thank you Dean Moore Patriot Junior Wrestling Club

January 18, 2001
comments: NELSON FROM BEVERLY HILLS AT 135 HAS EARNED MY RESPECT FOR NOT DROPPING OR GOING UP. IT SHOULD BE A GOOD FINAL MATCH BETWEEN HIM AND MITCH! NELSON REMEMBER "DONT BE AFAID TO COMPETE"

January 18, 2001
comments: i think the way to find the best wrestler in each class is by a point system based on how they finished in a tourn a first place finish would score 6 points down the line 1thru 6 place for a 20 team tourn also if they placed in the states in the years befor they would score points the same way first place would score 6 points down the line to 6th place also you would count the 3 and 4 team tourn you would only count first 2nd 3rd places 1- 2- 3- points the total points would be the rateing. you could also do this with a teams rateing. i dont know a beter way of doing it fair for everyone what do you think. lol could be a start.

January 18, 2001
comments: Regarding the wrestlers that have not made base weight this year in Jr. high at the WSAZ? Example some wrestler at the 135 lb class are dropping to 128 and have not made base weight all year for 128!

January 18, 2001
comments: There are some good wrestlers in the 140# class but after attending a quad last night between Ritchie Co Fairmont East Parkersburg and RCB I would like to say that I think there is an up and coming winner. Soph. Scott Gonzalez of RCB won all three of his 140# matches last night and looked good doing it. He may be the "dark horse" of the 140# class. This may not be Scott's year for a state placement but I feel that he will place in his region. I also noticed that his coach is Steve Daniels a former State Champion himself. I have been around Coach Daniels through the years and PeeWee wrestling and I am glad to see him on the high school level. The team at RCB will prosper under his guidance. Keep an eye on this young wrestler he is a true competitor.

January 18, 2001

comments: Coaches cannot predict the future. Karr and Raban had successful seasons and it was only common sense to rank them. Throughout the season you heard little about Hollenbach or Weaver I don't think the coaches could have reasonably foreseen them putting Karr and Raban out at states. No poll is 100% accurate.

January 18, 2001

comments: I have a video clip of the overtime period between Parkersburg's Matt Stevens and South's Ryan Metz loaded on the Little Kanawha Cauliflower page. I will attempt to add more clips later as I go through the slow learning process of creating web videos.

Check out the LKC pages at the Cauliflower Wrestling Club website.
January 18, 2001

comments: "Hey Doc you are a jack-legged idiot and here is why.... I see that East Fairmont is ranked #3 in the state and wheeling park which beat them badly isn't even ranked. Think about it.
Editor's note: Point well taken. I presume you are referring to Wheeling Park's 41-29 dual meet victory over East at the WP duals. Again the question presents: what do you go by - dual meets or tournament performance?? East finished 4th at the Brooke Classic with 123.5 while WP finished 8th with 81. Wheeling Park does have a fine team and they may well finish strong come state tournament time.

January 18, 2001

comments: While reading Shannon Blosser's recent article in The Fairmont Times I was quite besmirched to see some of the predictions. For instance "One of three Marion County teams will win the state title". Make no mistake Parkersburg South IS head and shoulders...and feet above the competition. Also Blosser seemed to be going out on a limb somewhat by predicting Agoney VS Futten "battling it out" for a regional title. Sean Agoney is one of my good friends but considering the fact he has lost close matches to Beard and lopsided matches to Moats I disagree. Blosser also writes "Matt Miller or Jeff Courtney WILL win a state title". I personally think Miller will win but who is Chris Dagget? Merely a defending state champion. This isn't the first article Blosser has written as I'm sure most loyal readers know. In the previous one Blosser predicted Dellighetti to place at state. No not Jonathan Mathew or Anthony.... but Hunter. In closing I think.......

January 18, 2001

comments: Congratulations to JP Stanley of Indiana for and 6th place finish and beating Dustin Brewer 3x MO State champ and two time National champ then close loss to Mark Jayne 6-4 also an 3x OH state champ and national champ in the roger denker wrestling tournament

January 18, 2001

comments: Does anyone know what time the WSAZ tournament starts on friday?

January 18, 2001

comments: to Superman: I disagree with your last comment. I think the coaches know what they are talking about. I mean everybody is on the edge of theirs seats waiting for them to come out and then when they do everybody complains. The coaches poll has more meaning than some random persons rankings. I mean you don't know all of the stories. like Ripley ranked ahead of lord. I mean you are going by last years match. Did you know lord lost weight and had no energy. Look at it this way he had no energy and still only lost by one point. Imagine him with energy. Thats just one example but nobody knows these things so no ranking is really accurate. To solve most of this would have more year round wrestlers in this state and somebody stand out in each weight class but most are just too busy to make any committment. Thats why you see nobody from west virginia getting scholarships. And don't talk about Regalbuto getting one. He worked harder than anybody in the state.

January 18, 2001

comments: Who ever was the FOOL that said Williamstown almost lost to Magnolia THEY HAVENT EVEN WRESTLED THEM THIS YEAR. HEY THEY DONT DODGE COMPETION THATS WHY U NEVER SEE A WILLIAMSTOWN STATE CHAMP GO UNDEFEATED

January 18, 2001

comments: Sorry to hear about Matt Grewell's {Hamilton} recent injury. You looked good against Brown from Wmstn. and Young from Blenn. Like to see you wrestle Smith {Edison}when your well!!!!!! Work hard and wrestle hard in the county and state. You have what it takes to make a good high school wrestler.

January 18, 2001

email: stlnhme@msn.com
comments: I just wanted to say that I think Brad Petracca and John Geary are doing a great job this year with the East Fairmont Wrestling team. It has been a long time since East has been ranked in the top 5 in the state. I would especially like to wish good luck to Matt Miller Jeff Noechel Matt Sternthal and Chris Satterfield. I am very impressed with their performances and can't wait to go to Huntington in February.

January 18, 2001

email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: Congratulations to Coach Malcolm Ater for his 100 career wins at the Buckhannon Duals. Coach Ater is a "gentleman coach" on and off the mats and should be recognized for this accomplishment in a very short period of time. Braxton Middle appreciates the time that Coach Ater takes to "track down" our wrestlers and give "positive" criticism and support. This coach has benefited from Coach Ater's expertise and hopes that he knows the impact that he has made and continues to make on the lives of young kids. Dig Patrick Kenny and the rest of the BCMS team are not surprised that Coach Ater has reached his 100th career win - he's a role model for all of us!!!

January 18, 2001

comments: where is adam schindler on the undefeated wrestlers list??? he is 18-0.. may i remind predictors that ripley wrestled without him at winners choice because of the flu which would have raised them in the standings probably enough to a team trophy finish.

January 18, 2001

email: jeremyramsey@hotmail.com
comments: I just want to say to CALHOUN that youre doing a heck of a job. I wish i could see you guys win the LK this year but unfortunatly I cam't. Wrestle hard be strong and GOODLUCK!!! Congrats on your win at Braxton I am proud of you all!!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2001

comments: I seriously doubt Williamstown will be #2 in the state they almost lost to Magnolia in a dual and St. Mary's. You may be right about Cameron not making as strong a finish this year but if anyone else gets #2 it would be Independence. But then again i'm no expert either so i'm not criticizing.

January 18, 2001

comments: To Mouse's Dad: Thanks for relaying the message I got an e-mail from Mike recently I really appreciate it.
Anyway I would like to congratulate Mike DeVault and Tommy Stiles on performances that really impressed me at the Winner's Choice Tournament.
To Tommy: Great job man you give us A/AA wrestlers some recognition when you can put out such a good effort in big tournaments like that! You impressed me with the way you wrestled so keep it up and maybe I'll see you again Saturday night in February...
To Mike: What can I say you really impressed me with the way you wrestled at the Winner's Choice! You've really improved a lot from last year; if you keep up this pace you could a great wrestler in the future for MHS. Work for your goals the way you have been doing and you will achieve them all.
On a final note congratulations to all the WV wrestlers who wrestled their hearts out at the Winner's Choice and helped to make us WV wrestlers a little more recognized and us fans a little more entertained!~ Casey

January 18, 2001

comments: Someone got on here and said they would rather go by the Coach's Poll than the rankings people make on this forum. I disagree. Even though I don't agree with some people's rankings I think phanatik and some others who look at the results on this website and go to some of the matches put out more accurate rankings than the coaches will. I say this because coaches have to spend most of there time on there team and there team's matches and not on what happens with other teams.

January 18, 2001

comments: correction-it is Rob or Robby Pumphrey

January 18, 2001

comments: coaches polls dont mean jack sure they may list the most "well known" wrestlers in the state. So dont argue about rankings just get out there and make it happen.

January 18, 2001

comments: To Answer SUPERMAN: Concerning Ray Linger At 171 Ray is a Sophmore.

January 18, 2001

comments: I would like to mention that even the coaches polls are messed up. Last year they had Dana Raban(Ravenswood) and Tommy Karr(Wirt) ranked 3rd and 4th and those two did not even place at states at 215. I do figure the will place this year good luck boys.

January 18, 2001

comments: From: a most loyal fan comments: Congratulations to "Old Coach" on your 100th win last weekend at Buckhannon-Upshur!!

January 17, 2001

Well, it's that time of the year when everyone is coming down with a bad case of poll fever. I just finished posting the AAA Coaches poll. In answer to everyone's inquiries: No, I don't have the AA/A Coaches poll. Being an LKC alumnus, I would not for the world try to slight the AA/A ranks - I just don't have the poll and decided to go ahead and post the AAA poll since I did have it.

I have resisted the tempation to publish an "Official WV-Mat Poll" because I see no reason to give the appearance of trying to compete with the coaches efforts in this regard. Another reason - I'm just not smart enough: There are others who have done a much better job of analyzing the data than I. Another reason - Why should I want to take on this grief and get everyone mad at me?? (smile).

Having said that, and against my better judgement, I did go through some results to see what kind of a poll I would make IF I were inclined to do so. First question: How do you rank teams? On the basis of tournament performance or dual meet performance? (And anybody who knows anything about wrestling knows there is a big difference). I would tend to go with tournament performance since, after all, the state tournament is wrestled in this manner. Here is what I came up with. This poll is no more official than any others you see in this forum, and probably not as accurate as the Phanatik poll which is well researched. This may be close or way off. If you disagree with a team's rank, let me know with the specific reasons.

AA/A

1) Oak Glen - This is a no-brainer

2) Williamstown - Strong performances in a couple of out-of-state tournaments (Grove City Ohio and Midwest Classic); tied for 8th at the Winners Choice (the highest placing AA school there), and a couple of early dual-meet victories over Calhoun. Williamstown will meet Oak Glen in a quad at Oak Glen on January 27.

3) Calhoun County - First place at the Braxton Pizza Hut ahead of Independence by a comfortable margin; a respectable fifth at the Nitro Invitational (the highest placing AA school there), along with dual meet victories over Clay County, Braxton, St Marys, and others.

4) Independence - A respectable 4th at the Max Horz in Berkeley Springs behind Sherando, Northern Garrett and Hedgesville, and ahead of Cameron and Wirt County.

5) Cameron - One might think the Dragons should be ranked higher than fifth, but Cameron finished behind Indy at the Berkeley Springs Max Horz Invitational, and outpointed Grafton by only 43 points at the Cameron Tri-State.

6) Wirt County - Seventh place at the Max Horz, 39 points behind Cameron and ahead of a strong Southern Garrett team.

7) Braxton County - Third at the Braxton Pizza Hut, behind Calhoun and Independence.

8) Clay County - Fourth at the Braxton Pizza Hut.

9) Greenbrier West - First place at the Beckley Newspapers Invitational has to count for something. They may be under-rated.

10) Grafton - Second at the Cameron Tri-State, fifth at the Braxton Pizza Hut.

11) Frankfort - Second at the Frankfort Invitational, eleven points behind Braxton.

12) Berkeley Springs - Fourth at the Frankfort Invitational, third at the Cameron Tri-State, and 10th at the Max Horz.

AAA

1) Parkersburg South - Another no-brainer.

2) Fairmont Senior - Winners of the Winners Choice, 27 points ahead of East Fairmont.

3) Huntington - Winners at the Nitro Invitational, ˝ point ahead of East Fairmont.

4) East Fairmont - A strong fourth at the early season Brooke Classic, and finished ahead of Fairmont Senior there.

5) Nitro - A good tournament team. Third at the Nitro Invitational, six points behind East Fairmont.

6) John Marshall - This team is hard to figure. Dual meet victories over Huntington, University, and Parkersburg, and a dual meet loss to Herbert Hoover.

7) University - A solid third place finish at the Winners Choice.

8) Herbert Hoover - Another team that is hard to figure. Fifth at the Jefferson Invitational ahead of Jefferson.

9) Jefferson - Yet another team that is hard to figure. Fourth at the Winners Choice ahead of North Marion, Ripley, and Hedgesville, but seventh at the Jefferson Invitational, behind Hedgesville and Herbert Hoover.

10) North Marion - Fourth at Nitro and fifth at the Winners Choice.

11) Hedgesville - Hedgesville has been all over the map, finishing second at the Jefferson Invitational (30 points ahead of Jefferson), but tied for eighth at the Winners Choice (29 points behind Jefferson).

12) Ripley - The Vikings have a strong team this year, finishing a respectable 7th at the Winners Choice and first at the Point Pleasant Pool tournament.

If you agree, send forum post saying "Hey Doc, you are right on the money and here is why...
If you disagree send forum post saying "Hey Doc, you are a jack-legged idiot and here is why....

January 17, 2001
comments: to wrrestling fan 119 whiteman from hundred did not dislocate his shoulder. he pulled a muscle and is soon to be 100%.

January 17, 2001
comments: why does everyone trash talk about all other wrestlers?????
Editor's note: I try to keep the worst of the trash talk off here, but maybe my definition of trash talk needs to be re-defined. What particular post or posts to you refer to? Maybe I'm overlooking something....

January 17, 2001
comments: South's wrestling team will face some of the state's best in Jan. and Feb. Some great individual matchups will take place between Shane Grogg/Jonathan Delligatti and Jeff Courtney/Chris Daggett when Fair. Senior comes to Parkersburg. Also Shane Grogg will face Kyle Turnbull of Univ. and Matt Wilson of North Marion.Matt Bosley/Nathan Kinsley of Univ. and Nathan Pickens/Rick Hickman of N.Marion will be fun to watch.Good luck to all involved.

January 17, 2001
comments: does anyone have the list of the seeded wrestlers for the OVAC our local paper just put in the pairings

January 17, 2001
comments: I would like to comment on all the bickering about the rankings people put on the forum. First off the ranking posted on here are not official the are not posted by coaches they are posted by fans who like to give THEIR opinion on how they see things. Secondly there has been some complaining both for and against Wes Lane he was a team mate of mine in junior wrestling from about the time I was 10 and then again for two years in high school the boy is a great wrestler and has put hard work into his wrestling career. I would like nothing more than to see his hand raised Sunday night in late February but this is a forum that wrestlers read and you should keep negative comments about any individual in this fine sport to yourself.

January 17, 2001
email: rparkswvu@hotmail.com
comments: Could someone please email me the address for the double A site if it is still up and running.
THANKS

January 17, 2001
comments: Is Matt Barnes wrestling for Nitro? He was 145 last year. I thought he was Jr.

January 17, 2001
comments: Yes I would be interested in the Junior High Division of the WSAZ . I would also like to know how Brent Sams complies the Who's Who Among Weight Classes for the Junior/Middle school wrestling. Does this mean that these wrestlers are the best amoung their weight class in the state?
Editor's note: The Jr Hi Who's Who's is an alphabetical listing of several wrestlers in each weight class noting how they have placed in various tournaments. Brent compiles this from available tournament/meet reports.

January 17, 2001
comments: to bumpin uglies
rankings shouldnt hardly go by your recored get real buddy being undefeated means nothing really because if u dont go out of state u wrestle the same competittion over and over thats why u see a lot of wrestlers from the same team finish well at the state tournament thats why u cant count out the team u dont think will be there in the ststae oh they will so watch out!!!!1 2nd 3rd and 4th could get messy

January 17, 2001
comments: Wasmer from Hamilton has 4 losses prior to BJHS

January 17, 2001
comments: I didn't see the match with Lane and Hays but I have seen Lane wrestle and nobody will touch him..He will go undereated.

January 17, 2001
comments: I am really looking forward to the state tournament this year.I believe there will be many interesting matchups in AAA this year in the first 4 weight classes wide open at 135 and 3 great wrestlers at 171.You have many good wrestling names at 103 112 119and 125.The semis will a fan's dream.I realize that Matt Miller and Jeff Courtney are excellent wrestlers but don't count out last year's champ Chris Daggett of South.Chris comes to wrestle and should challenge again for the title.One thing that stands out in my little mind is East's Jeff Noeschel moving up from 160 to 215.Quite a jump in weight and Aaron McCartney from South may have something to say on Saturday evening's finals.Thanks to all the wrestlers out there that entertain us and raise our spirits with their performances.Oh..and one group that gets little praise for all the sacrifices and time spent away from their own families..the coaches..THANKS for your committment to these fine young men and women you deserve much more praise than you recieve.God Bless !

January 17, 2001
comments: i think ur ranks for 103 112 and 119 are wrong and u'll see after ovacs

January 17, 2001
comments: I just wanted to wish Meadow Bridge's Sheldon Brown good luck at Calhoun this weekend.

January 17, 2001
comments: I think Blane Mayle of BU should get some credit for defeated Jed Ott of North Marion 13-5 and for being seeded 10th and finishing 3rd at the Winners Choice tourney is very impressive too. He looks like he is really turning it around form the begining of the season. I look for him to suprise some people at the end of Febuary. Congradulations Blane and keep up the hard work!!!!

January 17, 2001
comments: i think all of you people are under-estimating wes lanes ablitily he is undefeated so far this year duncan is not i do not know abshire's record but atleast you could rank him hire in your predictions maybe i am arong maybe i am not but i think he has more ability than you people think he has but i might but wrong...

January 17, 2001
comments: Does anyone have some predictions on how the weight classes will go for the Junior High Division of the WSAZ tourney I would love to see some.

January 17, 2001
comments: Snuffer is elsewhere because Blake was at 103. I believe Brown won by decision 9-6 over Burge but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

January 17, 2001
comments: i don't know if you were at north marion or not but early in the year he and North's Daran Hayes had a really close match i believe it was 4-3. Hayes has lost alot of close matches if he starts wrestling like he is capeable he could be up there towards the top of the 135 weight class.

January 17, 2001
comments: Like to congradulate pt.pleasant for placing in the top ten at farimont winners choice tourney last weekend big improvement from the start of the year they have some guys who could go all the way.

January 17, 2001
comments: CONGRADULATIONS ROBB PUMPHREY OF POINT PLEASANT. RUNNER-UP AT WINNERS CHOICE THIS PAST WEEKEND.

January 17, 2001
comments: I think that Keeton from Indy deserves some recognition at 275. He defeated Cliver from Clay at braxton

January 17, 2001
comments: I would like to say congratulations to Beckley-Stratton on an excellant job at the Andrew Jackson tournament.And would like to wish all of the guys good luck at WSAZ this weekend time to get pumped up all you guys have a good shot at placing and i know 4 or 5 of you should be in the finals don't get discouraged on what other ppl say you guys are as good as anybody in the state no matter what someone elses record is you guys have the heart and determination to go all the way Good Luck guys!!!!!!!!

January 17, 2001
taken from www.themat.com
comments: NWCA/TheMat.com High School Wrestling Poll
Released 1/10/01
Ranked by NWCA HS coaches committee

January 17, 2001
email: Sheiladye3@cs.com
comments: Does anyone have the results from the Jackson County Invitational? If so could you please forward a copy to me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Editor's note: We would also be interested in results from this tournament....

January 17, 2001
comments: Congratulations to Morgantown High's Lucas Cappas and Mike (Mikey) DeVault for their outstanding 2nd and 4th place finishes at the Winner's Choice Tournament!! Great job guys!

A very special congratulations to North Marion's Kurt Shumate for his 5th place finish at Winner's Choice. This young man suffered a near fatal illness last year that kept him out of wrestling for the majority of the season. He's definitely coming back as a strong competitor. Your friends in Mo'town are very proud of you! Way to go "Shoo-mat-ee"!!

January 17, 2001
comments: WHY ARE PEOPLE SAY OH THIS KID IS RANKED NUMBER ONE IN MOST POLLS AND STUFF LIKE THAT WHEN THERE ARE NO OFFICAL POLLS OUT??? WHO SAYS WHO IS BETTER I RATHER GO ON SOMETHING COACHS HAVE TO SAY THAN SOME FOOL WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TO MAKE HIS FRIENDS LOOK GOOD BY SAYING THEY ARE THE MAN TO BEAT IN THE WEIGHT CLASS OR WHAT EVER!!!!

January 17, 2001
comments: for forum. how about some information on the WSAZ tournment.

January 17, 2001
comments: Why are people throwing Tiffs about some stupid rankings that people who havent even seen half the kids wrestle make??

January 17, 2001
comments: does anyone know if wasmer from Hamilton was undefeated before the triangular at blennderdhasset

January 17, 2001
comments: satterfield from EF is fine

January 17, 2001
comments: Sorry to hear about Greg Six of Oak Glen breaking his leg recently.He and McCartney from South had a great match in their dual.Hopefully Greg can heal up fast and make it to the regionals and state tourney.Please listen to your doctors Greg and may God speed your recovery.

January 17, 2001
comments: I have been keeping up with a lot of different teams from around the state and I do not really have a favorite. But i must say that I have been more than impressed with Casey Daggett and Nathan Pickens from Parkersburg South I do not think that there is anyone in the state the could hang with these two wrestlers. I look for the two of them to pin or tech fall their way through state.

January 17, 2001
comments: Good luck at OVAC's this week Tyler and Casey. Ty wrestle hard one match at a time and I have no doubt you will beat Bowersock and Tierney just don't look ahead. Case what can I say? You're in contention for a state title as a freshman. Have fun in your first OVAC and trust me when seeds look ahead wrestlers as good as you surprise them early. The pressure is on them because you have 3 OVAC's left and most of the other kids don't so just relax and enjoy this weekend but wrestle hard and smart!

January 16, 2001
email: phanatikwv@yahoo.com
comments: Phanatik's AAA Rankings 1/16/01

These rankings are based on who I BELIEVE are the top 10 wrestlers in each weight class as of 1/8/01. Keep in mind the team rankings are based on how the teams will finish at the state tournament NOT in dual matches. Enjoy!

1 Sammy Bonasso FS              1 Matt Easter NIT               1 Matt Stevens PKB
2 Jacob Frerichs NIT            2 Kevin Ballam HED              2 Ryan Metz PS
3 Lucas Cappas MGT              3 Kyle Turnbull UN              3 Justin Stanley CM
4 Joshua Gorayeb WP             4 Jonathan Delligatti FS        4 Adam Kennedy WP
5 Justin Conley PS              5 Matt Wilson NM                5 Josh Casto RIP        
6 David Campbell UN             6 Shane Grogg PS                6 Chantz Griffith JEF
7 Jeff Clark MUS                7 Jared Garvin MGT              7 Jason Drappo HED
8 Kurt Shumate NM               8 Griffin Stepitich JM          8 Brad Michalski FS
9 Jon Howard JM                 9 Jonathan McFarland BRK        9 Jason Starsick NM
10 Brandon Kolb MAR             10 Jeremy Ray HUNT              10 Baxter Fullen HUNT

1 Nathan Kinsley UN             1 Robbie Williams HUNT          1 Devin Abshire JEF
2 Chris Johnson NIT             2 Derek Kennedy WP              2 John Duncan PS
3 Matt Bosley PS                3 Chris Gibbs CM                3 Wesley Lane HH
4 Matt Smith RIP                4 Bryce Pickens PS              4 Cody Shell BU
5 Billy Barrett HUNT            5 Jared Hess HED                5 Mike Muldrew JM
6 Nick Duncan PP                6 Justin Hawes JEF              6 Anthony Delligatti FS
7 Kyle Mull                     7 Randy Bodkin HH               7 Jeff Perroots UN
8 Brian Williamson PKB          8 Mike DeVault MGT              8 Adam Smith RIP
9 Justin Jones MUS              9 Joe Roberts SA                9 Daran Hays NM
10 Doug Bailes NC               10 Derrick Cooper RIP           10 Bill Barbour MAR

1 Robbie Ripley NIT             1 Bryan Moats HED               1 Nathan Pickens PS
2 Danny Lord HED                2 Derek George JM               2 Adam Schindler RIP
3 Blane Mayle BU                3 Jason Mays HUNT               3 Rick Hickman NM
4 Jed Ott NM                    4 Victor Beard MUS              4 Andre McDonald JEF
5 Robb Pumphrey PP              5 Aaron Futten EF               5 Jonathan Holt FS
6 Justin Kessler MAR            6 Sonny Dye PS                  6 Mike Staley HH
7 Josh Moore WP                 7 Sean Agoney MAR               7 Matt Warner PP
8 Derek Carnefix HH             8 D.J. DeWees PtP               8 Josh Evans WW
9 Willis King RIP               9 Scott Hartlieb FS             9 Ben Geary EF
10 J.J. Schmitt PS              10 Scotty Marshall UNV          10 Justin Snyder HED

1 Casey Daggett PS              1 Matt Miller EF                1 Matt Sternthal EF
2 Craig Wallace PKB             2 Jeff Courtney FS              2 Robbie Key NC
3 Chris Taylor JM               3 Chris Daggett PS              3 Darren Marks PKB
4 Rob Osuch JEF                 4 Joey Thomas HUNT              4 Matt Miller PRE
5 Travis Durst MAR              5 Ray Linger ELK                5 Andrew Starsick NM
6 Jon Bonecutter PtP            6 Joe Jackson MAR               6 Josh Boyd WP
7 John Dunham HED               7 Chuck Pauley NIT              7 Curtis Barber FS
8 Brandon Geary EF              8 Andrew Everhart HED           8 Ty Phalen RIP
9 Donnie Hill UN                9 Drew Day JEF                  9 Jason Baker HED
10 Larry Conn HH                10 Alonzo Staats RIP            10 Ryan Fierro JEF

1 Jeff Noechel EF               1 Matt Clay HH
2 Aaron McCartney PS            2 Byron Wellman CM
3 Dustin Householder JEF        3 Chris Satterfield EF
4 John Wells JM                 4 Chris Morrison PS
5 Mitch Hastings HUNT           5 Jeremiah McCourt BU
6 Ryan Frazier CM               6 Ryan Bird MAR
7 Jonathon Moales HH            7 B.J. Pruitt MUS
8 Matt Delligatti FS            8 Fred Persinger LC
9 John Dilworth BU              9 Jay Singleton FS
10 Mike Renner MUS              10 Jody Pauley GW
TEAMS
1 Parkersburg South
2 East Fairmont
3 Nitro
4 Hedgesville
5 Fairmont Senior
6 Jefferson
7 Huntington
8 Parkersburg
9 John Marshall
10 Herbert Hoover
11 Cabell Midland
12 University
13 Wheeling Park
14 Ripley
15 North Marion
16 Buckhannon
17 Martinsburg
18 Point Pleasant
19 Musselman
20 Nicholas County
20 Morgantown

PHANATIK
PS Thanks to all those who emailed me with information!

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page