West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2002 Forum (Part Four)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 31, 2002
comments: Does anyone have the results from the Clay tournament? If so please submit?

January 31, 2002
comments: Could anyone Email me the full results of the John Marshall, Ripley match? Individual scores also.

January 31, 2002
comments: Watched most of the Tri at South tonight. Missed some of the early action. Wanted to see some of the marquee/possible state match-ups. South/JM - Did not get to see Osuna-Cotto and Howard wrestle, although both seem to be state placers. Walters/George-excellent match. Fairly even on their feet, although Walters was more active. Walters couldn't hold him down which ultimately cost him the match in 2nd overtime. However, this could be an omen. Although George got the win, this has to bolster Walters confidence. Regionals should be interesting. SOuth/Ripley-had not yet seen the Smith's wrestle. Matt Smith pulled out the win over Bosley. Good match. Bosley in on several shots that he couldn't finish. Smith excellent defensive wrestler. Mitch Smith/Seth Young-too underclassmen came out pushing/attempting to estalish dominance. Ref warned several times and awarded point to smith, both could of been hit, but no one complained too much. Ref had to take control before they got out of control. Smith then wrestled very defensively. I was wondering what was so impressive about him, when all of a sudden he just exploded for shot. He spent most of the match waiting on Young, but the glimpses of speed/explosiveness were impressive. One penalty point was the difference and he pulled out the win. I felt his win was more impressive that his brother's even though the score didn't show it. The combination of strength and speed I saw made me want to see more. I'll definitely keep my eye on him in Huntington. Casto/Metz- tech fall for Metz. This kid is amazing. Could probably win states at 2-3 weight classes. Would love to see him wrestle either Smith.

January 31, 2002
comments: to wrestler's mom, My son started wrestling in the 7th grade. I didn't want him to even go out for the sport. It took the coach and his father several days to talk me into letting him go out. AT first he did ok, he got beat a few times then he just took to the sport like ducks do to water. As it turned out he graduated last yr as OVAC champ and a 2 time State Champ. I learned that our kids can do what ever they want and go where ever they dream to go. We just need to be there win or loose to tell them to keep trying. Relax, enjoy the sport and watch your son rise to the top step. There is no greater thrill then to watch a champ take the top step

January 31, 2002
email: Shanedog89@aol.com
comments: I would like to congratulate Coach Rick Rinehart and his Mannington Gators on their win of the Mason Dixon Tournament. I also think that for the teams down south that have not seen the gators they are for real and i believe they could wreslte with anyone (middle schools) in the state as we have seen some of these teams. I agree that Point and Milton are extremely tough teams and hats off to their coaches for the excellence on and off the mat their teams showed especally Milton. Hopefully we can defend our city and county titles this friday and West Fairmont. I would also like to take this time to say thanks to all the parents who have made my second year at East a good one you all know who you are. Thanks! and i would like to say with 18 first year kids the kids have done a great job for me working and never giving up as well to my coaching staff without whose help this season could not have been possible However, i dont know if the people at East can put with me another year but if i do come back i would love to wrestle as many different teams as possible next year even if i dont have a team. Again to all who have helped Thanks!! ~ shane

January 31, 2002
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: I would also like to pat the East Fairmont Junior High team and coaches on the back for a first class job. Great year. Shane's future schooling may not permit him to be back next year, he's got a great shot at pharmacy school. He'll make a better pharmacist than wrestling coach!!! haha. If this happens it will be Dr. Eakle!!!! Doc Miller, maybe you could recruit him to help with the web site . haha. Thanks for being a positive example and teaching the kids the rewards of hard work.

January 31, 2002
103:
Matthew Valles, WM
Erica Dye, Wirt
Bryan Snuffer, Ind
Justin Goneau, OG
Bryan Gungle, Cal
Bobby Rawls, Graf

112:
Justin Ashley, Cal
Dustin Bartrung, SM
Matt Morris, Brax
Jesse Biddle, Will
Daniel Allen, Wirt
Noah O'Neil, Cam

119:
Casey Biddle, Will
Daneil Whiteman, Hund
Brandon Clark, Berk Springs
Brennan Chambers, OG
Todd Dureya, Graf
Cody Shirley, Frank

125:
Chris Morris, Cal
Ryan Bumgarnder, Rit
Justin Kotson, Cam
Ian Whittington, OG
Bob Brookover, Will
Brain Mills, Ind

130:
Drew Myers, Frank
Pat Bell, GW
Derek Metz, Cal
Joey Lobis, Rit
Ryan Elder, Will
Matt Howrylak, Win
135:
Casey Hughes, Cam
Adam Leach, Graf
Garrett Six, OG
Brandon Dye, Wirt
Dale Everett, StM
Gary Wager, Cal

140:
Steve Flowers, OG
Jeff Morris, Cal
Justin Dennis, Wirt
Alan Tracewell, Will
Joel O'Neil, Cam
Neil Wright, Frank

145:
Shane Smith, Will
Ben Wood, Ind
Matt Wharton, OG
Terry Childers, StM
Brad Nicka, WM
Devon Bosley, Frank

152:
Tyler Westbrook, Will
Tucker Brown, Cam
Chris Miller, Wirt
Todd Snider, Tyl
Andy Stewart, Brax
Wesley Bowles, MB

160:
Roger Kupfer, Cam
Jamie Dent, Hund
Mark Smith, GW
Jamie Moore, BS
Lee Lauderman, Will
Dewayne Rhodes, Ind
171:
Derrick Stickles, OG
Trampus Efaw, Graf
Ray Burge, Cal
Buster Carico, LR
Matt Seckman, Will
Robert Ward, Ind

189:
Ronnie Hebrock, OG
Aaron Barnette, Ind
Josh Clark, BS
Ryan Delebreau, Will
Fred Lafferty, LR
Dustin Bosley, Frank

215:
Vince Magnone, Weir
Donnie Peck, Clay
Pete Hashman, StM
Bill Whitehall, Oag Glen
Joe Weaver, Mag
Kenny Hollenbach, Graf

275:
Joey Caughey, OG
Charlie Gibson, Cal
Dana Raban, Rav
M.Crookshanks, GW
Luke Shepherd, Tyler
Devin Alt, Pet

January 31, 2002
comments: To everyone looking for metz to win in the 125 class I would look toward Ripleys Casto or Greenbrier East's Vance

January 31, 2002
comments: What is Shane Smiths record thus far this season? Has he lost to any WV wrestlers? If so who?

January 31, 2002
comments: I think that it would be a great idea to have ONE state tournament for all individuals with no classifications. Since we have a small state anyway, this would add to the prestige of being a state champion. One way that you could do it would be, have 8 regionals with the top 4 qualifying for state. Then you would SEED the 32 wrestlers that qualify for the state. Having it this way you eliminate any discrepancies of who are the best wrestlers in the state. Then at another date, possibly the following week, you could have a dual tournament meet with the teams divided into their respective AAA and AA classes. This is just a suggestion that i think would help improve our current wv state tournament.

January 31, 2002
comments: Pickens will be at 160 for the state tournament. I dont see where he has done anything wrong by wrestling 160 and 171 to get the better competition. To get to be the best you have to wrestle the best. Morrison has no problem with this. I think it is impressive to see a boy step up a weight class and spot 11 pounds to wrestle people like daggett, stickles, and taylor. Let the boys wrestle

January 31, 2002
comments: Congrat's to the Calhoun team for their win over Winfield, Hoover, and Riverside. You guys got the heart to be winners and that will show in the end. GOOD LUCK at the LKC!! Lets bring it home where it belongs this year!

January 31, 2002
comments: Did Huntington and Nitro wrestle Saturday? If they did, who won? If they did not, why not?

January 31, 2002
comments: to dad:
If you go to JJ huddle wrestling (a popular forum for ohio wrestling) you will find a 40 response thread on how stalling was not call at the OVAC. In Ohio at the District and State level stalling is called much more often and we think the lack of calls at the OVAC will hurt our kids in the future. One stalling WARNING doesn't lose a match it just makes it more exciting to watch. I have never seen (i have coached at the OVACs for 14 years in a row) less stalling called in total than it was this year.

January 30, 2002
comments: First of all, To Coach Stef... Sorry that Milton did not get a chance to wrestle Braxton this season. As you know we had a prior commitment to the Ohio vs WV. I second her comments about the class and quality of the Spencer team. Coach Jarvis and I are friendly rivals and often e-mail each other after events. We also offer advice to each others wrestlers when they are not against each other. Lastly, congratulations to the Milton Panthers for achieveing number 3 of our four goals for this season. They were to win back our Panther trophy - done. Place higher at WSAZ - done. Have more kids on the academic all state and honor roll this year - done. 6 on Academic All State and 14 on Academic Honor Roll (20 out of 28 wrestlers)for a stunning team overall GPA of 3.208. Panthers there is still one goal to master and it comes this Friday. I believe in you, we have prepared well. It's yours to win or lose this weekend. Let's roll!

January 30, 2002
comments: Chantz did wrestle at CVALs except for his first two matches. He tech-falled Weatherholtz 23-5 and pinned his opponent at 135 for Martinsburg in the first period. Jefferson did have 4 champs as well (the journal must've forgot about them) Stevie Reynolds 125, Daryll Dorsey 130, Jon Silverman 189 (who will quietly make his way into the state tournament) and Dustin Householder who got co-champ with Chuckie Files. Jefferson should also make a run for the Regional Championship with 9 wrestlers who should make it to states (119 (if he makes weight),125,130,135,140,145,152 (all 6 GUARANTEED), 189 (if he wrestles like he can), and 215 (GUARANTEED)

January 30, 2002
comments: Yes im still wrestling at Ohio im redshirting this year.

January 30, 2002
comments: update this web site please

January 30, 2002
comments: Williamstown , Morgantown and Wheeling Park are wrestling at Parkersburg on WED shouldnt that be on Headling events????

January 30, 2002
comments: I was at the Quad at NM this past weekend and Steve Flowers of OG (140) really impressed me. He, in my opinion, is the best wrestler at that weight in AA! I would also like to say congratulations to JM on 3 impressive wins! Good luck to all at states in February!

January 30, 2002
comments: Hey Doc, How about a third choice for the poll question? Hold one individual tournament for individuals, no classification. Have a dual meet state championship for each classification the week before regionals. Then you would know who the best individuals were and also what teams were best.
Editor's note: I'll mull this over. This gives me a good chance to ask if anyone has any suggestions for poll questions? If so, send them along. Maybe I'll use your question, maybe not....

January 30, 2002
comments: My little boy has been wrestling for Mineral Wells wrestling now for 3 years and I'd like to say at first we were all skeptical in this type of sport. Our first year we practiced at the Armory and he hated it. He cried and cried. The head coach, then, took him and sat against the wall, with him on his lap, and spoke to him in words he understood at 5 years old, for 45 minutes during practice. I knew then, this wasn't so bad. Our coaches today try very hard to keep everyone happy, and we all know how difficult that must be. We, as adults, must know that it's ok to agree to disagree sometimes, and this is what makes a team strong. I wanted to write this letter as a thank you for taking such good care of my little boy and showing him a sport that is so aggressive, can also be alot of fun. He will realize one day the impact this has made on his life. Our coaches have him in custody, so to speak, for approximately 14 hrs a week. I depend on them to be good role models and treat him respectfully and he returns the favor. I thank the Mineral Wells coaches for taking the time with him and helping him to grow in a way he didn't know exsisted. Thank you.

January 30, 2002
comments: Just wondering if Barnette and Wood will get any help in winning the conference tourney this weekend. The wounded Patriot team has already dropped 2 duals to West and finished behind Woodrow & Nicholas at WSAZ's. Sure Snuffer will be finals material, but he will be challenged by the 9th grader from Shady. Same story with Mills at 125, Griffin will be tough competition if he does make it by the SS 9th grader. I will say that DAVIS at 119 is looking to finish the season tough. Harry Rhodes is looking better but M.Smith(GW) has his number for sure. Judging from recent performances, Ward will have strong competiton from McCutcheon, Lively, and Carrico. The other Patriots need to make some noise soon. THE SEASON IS OVER SOON!

January 30, 2002
comments: wojo needs to be on the undefeated wrestlers list he finished the season at 28-0
Editor's note: I don't mean to sound rude, but who is wojo, what team does he wrestle for, what weight class, and what year in school???

January 30, 2002
comments: To: wrestling mom
You ask if a boy with 1 year of pee wee and 2 years Jr. High varsity can make it in the high school ranks? Sure. My son didn't have the chance at pee wee's, and only wrestled 7th and 8th grade before stepping it up to the high school level. He was a state qualifier last year as a freshman, and, barring any unforeseen injury, be back this year and hopefully in the finals as a sophomore. Dedication, desire, drive and committment is what it takes.

January 30, 2002
comments: Nitro will have 4 state champs
Both Eaters
Frerichs
Ripley
And they will place in the top 3

January 30, 2002
comments: I would just like to sent congrats to the East Fairmont Junior High School Wrestling Team. The Hornets have had a fantastic year considering how many first year wrestlers are on the team! Coach Shane Eakle and his assistants Alex Peschel, Jeff Noechel and Nathan Shepherd have did a wonderful job with these boys and the boys themselves have worked really hard to become a winning team! Keep up the good work East Hornets - wer'e watching you!
P.S. I sure hope Coach Eakle continues his good work next year!

January 30, 2002
comments: I would just like to take some time and give my opinion about youth wrestling in Wood. Co. No matter what school or private club your wrestler belongs to in your opinion he wrestling for the best team ever, I Stress everyone has his or hers own opinion and thats free speech. These wrestlers and coaches need to be praised for all they do, they only pay a coach receives is the refree raising his wrestlers had. My son has been in this many years and it doesn't matter who he wrestlers for in pee wee or Jr. High our goal is to get to the high school of our choice. I have been very concerned with alot of the comments on the mat lately about other wrestling coaches. It doesn't matter if the team has nice singlets or warm-ups or better shoes this is only appearance what really counts in a wrestler is whats in his heart and is winning is in his heart he will succeed. Wrestling takes alot of dedication and hard work and good parents seeking their wrestler the best competion possible. So who ever is putting other coaches or wrestlers down you should be ashamed of yourself. If you have something to say to a coach please next time confront them yourself or be prepared to be confronted and then try to wiggle youself out of what you said, remember things do come back to haunt you. So nice chatting and telling you my opinion, so next time please think of everyone involved, because we all strive to do our best.

January 30, 2002
comments: Does anyone have the scores of the Buckeye Local and Oak Glen Match

January 30, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate all the calhoun wrestlers for a great job at the ritchie county quad, also big congrats to Chris Morris for tying the record for pins, and to Derek Metz for beating Richie's Joey lobis for the 2nd time

January 30, 2002
rom: Coach Stef
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: The Spencer Middle School Wrestling team had a heck of a ride this season. I was a little disappointed in their final showing at WSAZ because I felt with a couple of breaks, they could have beaten Milton and scored second to Point. Coach Jarvis, Coach Toby and Bruce do a great job preparing kids for competition. We, at Braxton, appreciated the competition between Jarvis and Stevens and we hope Spencer understands we have Stevens back. Again, mucho cudos to the Spencer wrestling program. We at Braxton, appreciate your good wrestling and the commraderie between our teams. One more point - I'm not sure that the Spencer Team this year wouldn't have given the Braxton team of last year a run for their money.

January 30, 2002
January 30, 2002
comments: Congratulations on a 4-0-1 record at the Raider Cup. With 6 freshmen and 1 forfeit, in the weight classes, I beleive they did exceptionaly well.

January 30, 2002
comments: does anyone have any predictions for region II for the weight classes 130 -- 135 -- 140 -- 145 -- 152? The top 4 please it would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time

January 30, 2002
email: wvgrappler@citynet.net
comments: For instructional videos and camps you need go no further than Ken Chertow's website, www.kenchertow.com His camps are the best in the country and his videos (which pay special attention to detail) will benefit all wrestlers no matter what competitive level they are currently at. My son continues to gain ground as a wrestler due in large part to Ken's camps and videos.

January 30, 2002
comments: who is the best team over the last 6 years oak glen or park south

January 30, 2002
comments: I attended the Wheeling Duals and Nitro Tounrament. On the comments to Satterfield losing to Childers from Cabell Midland.Chris was winning 4-0 when Childers rolled over on Satterfield because of bad position. The next weekend Satterfield major decisioned Childers at Nitro 10-2. Good luck to both wrestlers. Also I wanted to add Patrick McCutcheon wrestled great this weekend what an outstanding wrestler he has great strength and mobility. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AT STATES!!!!

January 30, 2002
comments: To the wrestling mom asking about kid with little experience and if he can make it at the HS level. I know of two wrestlers that didn't wrestler until HS. Both placing in the states three times.

comments: To wrestling mom
Those creditials you described your son of having aren't that bad compared what i was faced against. My first year of wrestling was my freshmen year. I placed sixth my sophomore year at states and won back to back state championships. It's not always how many years of experience you have in the sport. It's just how hard you work and how high you set your goals. Take it from me I did it.

comments: to: Wrestling Mom
I started wrestling when i was a freshman. That was the first time that i had even witnessed a wrestling match first hand! I was HORRIBLE that year, I only had a 1-9 record! But I was committed to this sport with all my heart and soul. Now I am a Senior, and am ranked in at least the top 5 in every pole that I have yet to see. Recently I have had 2 wins over the number 1 ranked kid in my weight class. I believe that the truth is in the facts, that if you love this sport and work to your full potential you will succeed. My best wishes to you and your son!

comments: to wrestling mom: I've seen many wrestlers begin in the 9th and 10th grades and finish up the season placing at states. And on the other hand i've seen wrestlers wrestle since they were 7 or 8 and not place at states. It's all about how hard you work for it and how well you progress in the time you have wrestled.

January 30, 2002
comments: everyone better watch out this saturday for a few upsets. the timberwolves will make some noise, they have been getting better each week! they are going to suprise a few people at states and regionals. the timberwolves will have atleast 2 people win the msac damron and nate howard. hard work and sacrifice is what spring valley wrestling is about!

January 30, 2002
comments: Can someone tell me how the officials are chosen to do the state tourney?

January 30, 2002
comments: I was a matmaid all through junior high and high school. I have been around wrestling for as long as I can remember, so I was just wondering if there is anything in the rule book that says a coach must stay in a seat or off the mat. I was at a match this past weekend where the coaches, all of the coaches, stood on the edge of the mat and even walked on it a time or two. This is something that I have never seen so I was wondering if it is something that is illegal or if most coaches just choose to stay in their seats?

January 30, 2002
comments: what happened to Neal Wright Drew Myers and Dustin Bosley from Frankfort, why were they not wrestling at the Petersburg Viking Smash. Cograts on placing to Shaun Snoberger Cody Shirey Will Haddix and Colby Simpson on placing... good luck at regionals and states guys

January 28, 2002
comments: About all the speculation over Hughes/Six. First, I sat with the Six's at states last year. There are no classier people. As Casey upset their (Oak Glen) wrestler (Lowers) in the finals, they let us experience the joy they can only imagine (no sour grapes). Six is a top flight wrestler who could easily be state champ (so was Lowers). However, they meet twice more this year. As for Hughes' knee, it has been hurt (as has his ankle) since playing basketball in junior high (yes, Cameron lets you do both). It isn't hurt all the time, but fans have seen him gut it out and win numerous matches with the injury. He would probably decline to wrestle Six in regionals should he already be qualified for states at that time. If he gets healthy, I look for a good match from both.

About the match itself. The match should have been tied at the injury default with both on their feet. OVAC officials really push the stalling calls "to promote the entertainment value to the fans." Tyler Hughes lost his first OVAC title because of such a call. In that match, the wrestler with the lead should not be forced to compromise his control if his oppnent cannot escape him. Wrestling is for the wrestlers (sorry fans).

Now, back to the Casey Hughes/G. Six match. Six shoots numerous outside single with no chance of scoring on many of them. You must circle away from them, but most are to appear to remain "offensive". Lots of wrestlers have learned that in this "spectator's sport," the fans want action. Casey wrestled the same style match the week earlier with a different official and didn't even get warned. The stalling penalty would have had Hughes working uphill for a takedown in the 3rd, but a takedown as he crumples to the mat out of bounds and out of injury time cannot be construed as a takedown. Hughes beat the number one ranked wrestler in the state two weeks earlier (Leach from Grafton) and dropped a tough OT loss to a very decent Brooke boy (Durbin) last week. Same style, no penalties.

I am struggling to convince Casey NOT to change his style on his feet much. Casey tries to improve his game daily. Lots of younger wrestlers have no game. Yet they are penalized for not doing enough. Use your heads, they can only do what they know. We're not talking about "turtles" on bottom or ankle-biters who never intend to finish their shots, or wrestlers who trap arms to blunt offense while doing nothing to escape or advance their position. These are people stalling to win a match. In the Hughes/Durbin match there was a total of 4 shots in the whole match. Who was stallng? Neither. It is their style and should not be dictated by officials or fans. Just my thoughts.

Good luck Garrett and Leach. Hope we can see you at states.
Editor's note: I have edited this post a bit, and I hope the poster doesn't mind too much. Lest his point is lost in my editing, the point seems to be this: Stalling is often a judgement call, and some wrestlers style may be viewed differently by different officials. I don't see this post as a critisizm of a specific official, but rather a lament that stalling is seen differently by different officials, often to the chagrin of the wrestler.

The stalling procedures, have been a subject of scrutiny for years. As we recall, we tried a pilot program in this state a couple of years ago to to take the awarding of points out of the stalling equation. Personally, I thought the experimental procedure, while not perfect, did serve to address some valid concerns. Unfortunately, the rulemakers at the national level apparantly were not impressed, to the detriment of the sport (in my opinion).

January 28, 2002
comments: can a boy who has only had one year of pee wee and 2 years of jr. high varsity wrestling make it in High school wrestling? He is an above average wrestler but not the best in his weight class in Jr. High.
Editor's note: I think there are recent state finalists who started with those credentials. Any comments??

January 28, 2002
comments: Looking to buy some instructional videos for my son. Can anybody highly recomend any tapes in particular?

January 28, 2002
comments: to thoose in response to morrison, satterfield, and mccourt. morrison pinned mccourt in the cons.finals at state last year and was winning by 8 points when he did and who has satterfiels wrestled this year to know is he got better he lost to the boy from cabell midland.but good luck to satterfield, mccourt, and morrison you 3 are the best in state this year and it wikll be a dog fight. and is mccourt hurt i was told he hurt his shoulder, is he going to wrestle?hope so!

January 28, 2002
comments: I saw JP Stanley started for Indiana against Penn State. Believe he is filling in for starter but nice to see some WV boys starting at D1. Any other WV wrestlers starting/wrestling D1 anywhere? Is Matt Stevens still wrestling for Ohio University?

January 28, 2002
email: nbusick@mtrgaming.com
comments: Ted Arneault (Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort CEO)has authorized the forming of a wrestling club at Mountaineer Fitness. Strength training designed for wrestling is available also.
Brandon Hinkle, Robert Busick, and Branden Kupfer will be running this program. They will have a youth program as well as open mats. Hinkle will also have Mixed Martial Arts school as part of this Wrestling Club.
We are also working on developing a bi weekly tournament for the off season in hopes of keeping interested wrestlers busy.
Also, Smittys Carpet and Mountaineer Fitness has tentatively booked two youth tournaments for next year in the arena. Six mats with comfortable seating.
Call 304-387-8174 or drop me an email and I will forward it to them for further information.
Good Luck to all the wrestlers for the rest of the season.

January 28, 2002
i would just like to say congrats to alan tracewell in his outstanding match at the williamstown tournament, he went into double overtime with some kid from warren and ended up getting the first takedown, so great job alan....love always ?

January 28, 2002
comments: Congratulations to the Grafton Bearcats on their second place finish at the Viking Smash this past weekend and to the four first place finishers: Bobby Rawls, Adam Leach, Trampas Efaw and Kenny Hollenbach. Keep working hard and you can win the Region! Also CONGRATULATIONS to Trampas Efaw on win number 100 and to Adam Leach on win number 150! You guys are awesome!!!

January 27, 2002
comments: I want to say congrats to Billy Barbour for winning CVAL and defeating your nemesis, Troy "Duce" Foltz. The series is tied 2-2, hopefully Billy will get a chance to win the series at regionals or state. Also congrats to Billy's brother Mikey Barbour for a very strong showing. Don't be suprised if both Barbour brothers, Billy and Mikey are at the state tournament.

To Curious: Coach Brittner was quoted in the Martinsburg Journal saying that Erik Kessler quit the team. I don't know why Chantz didn't wrestle, I was also wondering why he wasn't there.

January 27, 2002
comments: Why are even post things like this PHS and SOUTH stuff. I just wanna know what they are talking about. So why post it when alot of people dont even have a clue what they are talking about?
Editor's note: Good point. I'm still getting tons of comments about this match. Must have been one heck of an event with a lot of emotions running high with the fans. However, I think we will move on to other topics at this time. I do agree with the fan regarding the state tournament. With PHS and South neck and neck, and with John Marshall picking up momentum, and with Huntington sporting a strong team this year, and with Nitro's ability to score points in a tournament, and throw in a few other spoilers, and this could be a more interesting AAA state tournament than we might have predicted a few weeks ago.

January 27, 2002
comments: WOW! I went to the big quad on Saturday at PHS. I saw what I hope everyone in that building saw...Great wrestling. South and PHS both have outstanding wrestlers this year. Some however show more class than others on both sides. All the talk about wrestlers avoiding wrestlers, lying, cheating, doing illegal things. As a southsider I say honestly that there was nothing illegal done at Saturdays match...Except one boys socks weren't showing.(HAHA). There has been one wrestler who's ego I am sure has been shot...And yes it is good to have a bit of confidence. Because this wrestler hasn't been told at what weight class he was wrestling...To tell you the truth I am not sure. There is one fact of the matter once you get to regionals you can't jump around there is only one weight class you get to wrestle in not two. For those who say what TEAM is going to win state wait until state. One may lose,one may tie,but only one will WIN. Good luck to South. Special good l! uck to my Wrestlers Shane and Felix. I have faith and know both of you can do it. 24 days until states. Practice hard. Those who practice and put forth the effort win.

January 27, 2002
comments: to PHS fan....The team dual recored is 13-1-1 and they loss and the tie are both to South

January 27, 2002
comments: Way to go JM on an outstanding quad at NM. Maybe some of the talkers will start noticing someone else from reg 1. They could push phs and south this year for the state championship.

January 27, 2002
comments: The quad at the PHS Fieldhouse was something to see. I would like to say thank you to all of the boys on all four teams for showing us your best wrestling and for being good sports. To PHS and South - you are both amazing teams. To the parents: It is important to set a good example for the boys. Don't say things that take away from their accomplishments.

January 27, 2002
comments: just want to say congratulations to calhoun on their victory at ritchie co. saturday, jan 26th, great job ! there was some tough matches. keep up the good hard work and remember, most of all have fun and stay healthy. take it one step at a time and good luck tuesday night and at lkc's, regionals, and the states. also to jared brewer, awesome match buddy, get healed and keep going strong, you are doing a great job this year.

January 27, 2002
comments: To South and Big Red Wrestlers and Fans Mostly fans
Congratulations on a good old fashioned wrestling match. After watching these matches for over 30 years, I consider this one of the best I have seen. My sons and my Grandsons[10 Total], Have been participants in these matches over the years. I have had winners and I have had losers, but I have never had one who disliked his opponent,in fact all of my Big Red wrestlers are now good friends of the South wrestlers that they opposed during their wrestling years. Today they sit together during matches and talk about wrestling,while the few hothead parents and unknoledgeable fans are booing the wrestlers and officals when most of the time they have no idea whatsoever what is going on. So my point is, never ever boo a wrestler. For he is doing his best. Never ever boo an official, for he is doing his best. And, never ever call a coach a liar because he doesn't confide in the opposition by telling him his game plan......That's extremely stupid!

January 27, 2002
comments: I would just like to clear up a few things...the booing was not directed at a wrestler on Saturday as I think every South fan would agree. South wins because of many different reasons and I think class is one of them. You will never find a group from south that large booing at a young man, you will find them booing and yelling at the classlessness of another team. As for PHS, yes they tied with us...congrats to you! It doesn't matter what little tricks you have up your sleeves, what matters is who comes out on top in Huntington. You have prooved that you might be as good as we are. Now we have every reason to put those thoughts to rest, thank you! I just have to say good luck to South, not that you would need it! Matt Bosley, you are one of the most courage people I have ever had the honor of meeting, keep up the hard work and we will all be cheering you on!

January 27, 2002
comments: It looks like South/PHS are at a war of words on here and it stinks!!Why can't the "grown ups" let the kids wrestle and settle everything on the mat next month.Both schools have great kids and should be proud of their accomplishments. The rest of the state is probably getting a big rush out all the trash talk!

January 27, 2002
comments: How come Chantz Griffith, and Eric Kessler were not wrestling at the CVAL tournament??? congrats to all the winners... those were two of many surprising blanks in the lineups that i noticed

January 27, 2002
comments: does anyone know where matt warner from point pleasant has been he didnt wrestle at wsaz, i know he was 27-0 after fairmont but i have not seen anything else about him since. i think he is a good wrestler and was just curious???

January 26, 2002
comments: Good news from the PHS quad Saturday....congrats are in order...Dale Ray ,,FINALLY picked to do a state tmt,way to go Dale...Wirt co and South behind you all the way.....

January 26, 2002
comments: To East Fairmont mat-maid: I think you need to at least watch the match if you are going to talk about it on here. You didn't see the match between Courtney and Daggett so you Have n right to talk about them and how they wrestled that night.I think they both tried there hardest and did a great job,I can't wait to see them wrestle at states! I also think you need to put your name and not East Fairmont mat-maid because then people think all the mat-maids feel that way and that is not true. So if you want to talk badly about people on here then use your name not our schools title!! Thanx

January 26, 2002
comments: I just have a question. I hope someone can answer. My Son is 12 and wrestled for the middle school this year. What he wants to do is go to a school or camp for wrestling. Does WV have anything like that? Thanks in advance for any information that anyone can give me.
Editor's note: Snoop around this site. There are several camps....

January 26, 2002
comments: I guess I'm getting old or something.I went to the PHS-South- Wirt Co.-Grundy Va. quad. All I saw was a great quad match.I am clueless to the side stories I'm reading on this sight. The garbage I'm starting to read is sure taking away from two truly good programs. I did enjoy a couple of shirts the Grundy wrestlers wore during warm-ups. "What men do during Basketball season-WRESTLE" and "Hold my headgear while I kiss your girlfriend".

January 26, 2002
comments: CONGRATULATIONS to the Mannington Middle School GATORS for winning the 2002 Mason Dixon Conference Championship for the 1st time since 1979! We had a fantastic year!!

75  Jonathon Daft    3rd place  6th grade
80  Josh Liggett     1st place  7th grade
85  Eric(RED) Efaw   4th place  7th grade
90  Garrett Hickman  1st place  7th grade(2 time champ)
95  Travis Fluharty             6th grade
95  Eric Efaw        injured    8th grade
100 Eric Hinerman    1st place  6th grade(still undefeated)
105 Wesley Byard     2nd place  7th grade
115 Ricky Lane       2nd place  7th grade
115 Ryan Eakin                  8th grade
125 Johnny Rogers    1st place  7th grade
135 Matt Watson      2nd place  8th grade
145 Dale Childs                 8th grade
155 Derek Swiger                8th grade
190 Shane Michael    2nd place  8th grade
HWT Chip Shrader     3rd place  8th grade
HWT Rob Pickett                 8th grade
HWT Adam Hamilton               8th grade
Congratulations to Coaches Rick Rinehart and Roger Watson for a doing a great job!!
Good Luck in the Miller Duals, Hope to see another 1st Place!!

January 26, 2002
comments: "There's no biting in wrestling!" You know who you are.
To this comment I would like to say if you no anything about wrestling the position they were in happens all the time and he did not bite down, your hand was just simply in his mouth. "excuses, excuses"

January 26, 2002
comments: CONGRATULATIONS to the Hedgesville Wrestling Teams performance at the CVAL's yesterday, they show great heart and desire, great performance. Congratulations to the 1st place winners: Kevin Ballam (should have been you) Jeremy Bryant (getting better all the time) Danny Lord (a usual) Chuck Files (you shoulda arm wrestled, you shoulda been there too) and Congratulations to everyone else on the Hedgesville team and goodluck at regions!!!

January 26, 2002
comments: You know the one thing about pee wee, is that u can win one of about a million tournments and call yourself an all american or national champion, but none of that matters when u get to high school. There has been a many pee wee all americans fizzle up when it gets to the big show.

January 26, 2002
email: Wondering in Morgantown
comments: To those who attended Parkersburg High quad on Jan. 26: Wrestling is a game of strategy, skill and a dash of luck. Don't hate the RED school for opting to use a wrestler. Don't hate the BLUE school for acting of anger. Rules are rules and if you considering strategy-lying...think again. If it was illegal for him to sit out two matches, the WVSSAC would be on this like flies on you know what. But you know they won't be on this because it was 100% l-e-g-a-l. Sorry. BLUE school: Have you ever used strategy to score points? Thats what I thought. RED school: Work harder. Hope everyone has a their hotel rooms reserved because the 2002 state wrestling tournament will be one for the history books. Best of the luck to the both BLUE AND RED schools. Please don't delete this post, thanks editor. You do a great job with this site.

January 26, 2002
comments: I have to agree with the posts which have commented on the poor behavior of a South's wrestler parent. I'm not sure why the parent felt it was his choice as to whom his son was going to wrestle. That is a coach's choice to assign the wrestler to the weight class, and I'm not sure why a parent would have any input unless he felt it would be harmful to his son. Clearly, someone stepped out of line, and it wasn't the coach of PHS or South. Coach McCartney should be congratulated for maintaining his cool under a difficult situation. The match today was something to watch for the people who were not able to attend. Both teams have some outstanding wrestlers who will make their statements at the state meet.

January 26, 2002
comments: Might Feel a wrestler was mistreated!! Well let's put you in the middle of that mat and let 5000 people boo, cuss and try everything in their power to humiliate a very good wrestler and see if you think that was mistreatment. Because hes not what you want him to be or where you want him to wrestle. protectivness of your team is one thing but vendictiveness is quite another and there is absolutely no excuse for it ever in wrestling or in life period. Keep working hard guys your doing good.

January 26, 2002
comments: could someone please post phs dual meet record for so far this year and the results from the phs south grundy and wirt dual,and individual records for phs wrestlers, i am in another country and it is hard to obtain the results if they are not posted on the forum. thank you

January 26, 2002
comments: Luck had nothing to do with it .....Hard work pays off...Remember that PHS.

January 25, 2002
comments: CONGRATULATIONS to the John Marshall Monarch wrestling team on your three wins at the North Marion Quad today! The Monarchs defeated Buckeye Local, North Marion, & Oak Glen!

January 25, 2002
comments: "There's no biting in wrestling!" You know who you are.

January 25, 2002
comments: Good Luck to everyone on Greenbrier West's team I hope you all do good! Love Ya Bunches!!

January 25, 2002
comments: Today South wrestled 3 teams- beat two of them and tied with the third. Our guys wrestled with pride, class, and outstanding talent. We have 14 excellant stand up young men for which we as parents, teachers, fans, and southsiders are proud to call our team. Win, loose, or draw we support and love our boys. If we get a bit over zelous or protective of our boys and how they are treated its because we know how hard they work, how dedicated they are, and how much they deserve to be on top. When we feel that they are handed a raw deal you can bet we come to their defense and in full force. One thing I have noticed about the team that was lucky enough to tie up with us today, is that they are a scrappy bunch when something is not to their liking or if they feel a wrestler is mistreated. But let us take the part of one of ours and we are interfearing. Dishonesty and deciet is to say the least ugly- if you get an ugly response to that kind of behavior my question is What did you expect? So before we shame, shame, that parent for expressing their dislike at being LIED to, lets shame shame the person who lied!!!

January 25, 2002
comments: You know what I find amazing is that all kinds of people come on here and spout off about things they know nothing about. They see the end of something or think they know what the siuation is so their off and running. I would think a better use of this forum would be to congradulate and give compliments to those wrestlers and teams you like. Or to ask valid questions about upcoming events. Even to speculate on outcomes of future matches is good. But the constant pointing of fingers and trash talk is such a waste of a viable resource. When all is said and done you have accomplished nothing but adding fuel to an unneccissary fire. This is supposed to be a sport that is fun, and entertaining as well as rewarding to the KIDS!!!!!! If their is a problem or issue that needs to be resolved at a match between coaches or parents they can probably handle it without your two cents on the net when you get home. Their is no need to stir "stuff" til it stinks. If every body took care of their "own" and left everybody "elses" alone imagine how much better "yours" would be and what a nice place the world would be. Hummmmmm- what a novel idea.

January 25, 2002
comments: i am sorry there is a parent of a wrestler at south who didnt get to boost his own ego ,by having his son pad his stats against an injured phs wrestler. he had nothing to gain by wrestle wirt or grundy but knew his team could pass a mental obstical against south even if he had to wrestle one armed. it was great coaching strategy.phs wrestling is back... dad

January 25, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate Steven Morrison on his performance against Marks from PHS. You did a tremenous job wrestling this match. You kept it close not allowing PHS to get any more points. This was a very close match. Good Luck in the Regionals.

January 25, 2002
comments: Great match South & PHS! Both teams should be proud on how they wrestled. Remember, sometimes you have to lose a few battles before the war is won. Good luck for Regionals.

January 25, 2002
comments: to mat well if oak glen could just wrestle AAA and play everything else i am sure coach shaw would be ready to go

January 25, 2002
comments: The Vikings Smash was awesome!! Berkeley Springs came in 1st! 5 of our guys finished 1st in their weight classes and everyone else but a couple placed either 2nd or 3rd. CONGRATULATIONS TO JOSH CLARK AND BRANDON CLARK ON THIER 100 WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just hope regionals go better than the Smash!!! :-)

January 25, 2002
comments: Congrats go out to Bosley on your win. Also your a class act Knapp for not going for the knee. There are many out there that would have. Get him next time.

January 25, 2002
comments: Was at the PHS-South quad today. Shame on the parent who accused a coach of doing something to bring shame to the PHS wrestling team. The only reason he's upset is because he didn't think of it first. Quit moving your son around and let him wrestle his own weight class, not the next guys. That wrestler needs the mat time too.

January 25, 2002
comments: Congrats to the PHS Wrestlers. Don't give up, the title is near. Several great matches today. The boys did a fantastic job on closing the gap with South. PHS 29-South 29, back on Dec. 12 it was South 48 - PHS 24. Who knows what next month will bring but keep up the pressure.

January 25, 2002
comments: PHS 29 SOUTH 29

January 25, 2002
comments: With 6 HS going from AAA to AA next year, I wonder if it isn't time to consider having an all encompassing state tournament with 32 man fields that includes all three levels - AAA, AA and A class HS. The attraction of this is that it would reveal one state champion. If a AA or A student won it, it would be a great story, as those schools are sometimes considered underdogs. Also, it would add some impact to being a WV state champion, perhaps attracting more college coaches to scout WV. The downside is that we are used to having 12 place winners/weight class, 6 of AAA and 6 for AA/A. This is appropriate, however, maybe we could have a 32 man field with 6 place winners and 6 honorable mentions (e.g., honorable mention, 7th place and so on to 12th place). Just an idea. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on that.

January 25, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate Porter for his 2nd WSAZ win. You came to the top again in a very hard weight class. You can do it again next week in the county tournament. Keep wrestling like you know how and you could have great success next year on the hill.

January 25, 2002
comments: comments: To East Mat-maid: Just because Courtney scored 4-2 (at West's Quad) on Daggett, does not make him the 189 Champ. That match happens next month in Huntington. I think you're in for a BIG disappointment. (And I'm not from Parkersburg)

January 25, 2002
comments: to underdog, i think that chris morrison is a good wrestler, but brfor he can win the states, he has to beat another chris, chris satterfield, he has got a lot better then last year, and bigger so, i wish him luck, because he will need it.

January 25, 2002
comments: If most of you haven't already heard we have suffered a great loss in the 215 weight class this season. Matthew Delligatti will be sitting out the rest of the season due to severe shoulder injuries which leads to him having to have surgery. He is a great wrestler and a great athlete, and he will be greatly missed this year at states, seeing how he was at the top some of the poles for predicting to win. Good Luck Matt in your surgery and recovery. We all will be waiting to see you next year back in action. Hope All goes well.

January 25, 2002
comments: WOW!! I am impressed I think there may actually be someone out there that likes Christopher. As for the match with Jeff Courtney congratulations Jeff on your win. There is no need to defend Chris though, Jeff is a very good wrestler. Some of this stuff gets out of hand and there is no need.

January 25, 2002
comments: Congrats. to Jeff Courtney on his win over Daggett!!! Can't wait to see you at states on top of that stand!!!! Good luck and I know you can do it!! Also good luck to all the Fairmont SR. wrestlers at states...i will be there cheering you on!

January 25, 2002
comments: In response to the "toughest weight class", I tend to agree that 140 is loaded. The mat performance of most are pretty even and it there will be some close matches at states and it would be very difficult to make a fair prediction for that reason. But I am a big fan of Mayle. His record may or may not indicate his capabilities. He is by far the most talented wrestler and anyone that has been on the mat with him should respect that. He is a sleeping lion just waiting for his time. Good luck to all!

January 25, 2002
comments: to observer: go ahead and make your excuses for hughes but the bottom line is six beat him and thats thats. true he was injured but not till the end and losing in the first round of states last year does not mean anything this year....its a brand new year!! we'll see what happens in feb. but don't count out six all together!!!

January 25, 2002
comments: To have two State Tournaments just plain looks bad. On the High School level, they compete in AAA or AA. Maybe we should just look at having our children compete on levels such as rec club & private club or other such criteria that men could agree on. In my own opinion, this bickering between adults on this issue is going to hurt our kids in the long run. No one can really take it seriously to be a West Virginia State Champion as you have TWO chances EVERY YEAR to become one. I feel like competing in both and telling my child that he has to win both in order to actually be a State Champion. Then what would I put under achievements? My son is a West Virginia Double State Champion in the 2002 and if he only competes in one he is a 1/2 State Champion in 2002. Come on people, we are the laughing stock of the wrestling community over this. Editor of this board, maybe you could poll the coaches on how they feel about having two tournaments, if they are going to both, if not, which one would they support, and which one will have the better competition. Also, I would like to see a list of what teams are going to support what tournament.
Editor's note: Well, since I am pretty much out of the youth wrestling scene these days I should keep my opinions to myself. Nah, on second thought, here's what I think: I was involved in discussions years ago regarding the establishment of one "true" state youth championship. These discussions didn't get very far. Part of the reason is that there is no recognized regulatory or sanctioning body for youth wrestling in WV. You will only get one "true" state championship tournament if you can get WV youth wrestling under one sanctioning body that everyone agrees to be a part of. I don't see much sentiment to go in that direction. This week's poll question bears that out - opinions are pretty much split down the middle on whether youth wrestling should get "more organized." (Although, admittedly, internet polls are only slightly more scientific that telephone psychics).

January 25, 2002
comments: To the person who replied to the comments made by "East Mat-maid": In her post, she did not accuse anyone of "running" from an oponent. She wanted to see two wreslters, who are among the best in the state, go head to head. Based upon her post, your assumption is unwarrented. Furthermore, the PH coaches felt Dagget was in condition to wrestle, or they would not have risked something serious over a trivial dual match that Parkersburg easily handled FSHS. And you are correct, we will see "ya" at the states!

January 25, 2002
comments: Yes, Brandau did beat Shaw, however, remember anyone can be beat on any day thats what keeps the sport interesting! It's how you show up on the big days that count and being healthy, Shaw's hand is broke and he should let his body heal!!

January 25, 2002
comments: The Mason Dixon COnference will be held at Morgantown High School this Saturday in conjunction with the Morgantown High JV tournament. Things will work out and be run smoothly.

January 25, 2002
comments: Good luck South and PHS for this Saturdays Grundy Match. Remember this is all practice till the regionals (only 16 practice days left). Both teams need to stop bad mouthing each other and just accept what comes out of a match. No more excuses and trying to belittle wrestlers. Let's just wrestle and hope that no one gets injured this late in the season.

January 25, 2002
comments: To Ratteaser, Do you have any predictions on the score of the PHS-South match Saturday? I still think South has it wrapped up.

January 25, 2002
comments: To Ratteaser, Do you have any predictions on the score of the PHS-South match Saturday? I still think South has it wrapped up.

January 25, 2002
comments: While many predictions have been made on who is the best wrestler in the State, if you know anything about wrestling watch Ryan Metz from Parkersburg South. Product of the Patriot Junior Wrestling Club!!!!! Coaches do you homework during the State High School Wrestling Tournament. While there are many outstanding kids remember these names for the next few years Mitch Smith- Ripley Brandon Rader-Parkersburg a class above the rest.

January 25, 2002
comments: To the proud parent of Mineralwells rec league. All that you mentioned in your coments about you have the best wrstling club in Parkersburg i would like to throw a few stats your way. Since 1993 which is the start of the Patriots, they have had 11 wrestlers win a total of 43 different National titles over the last 8 years. 1999 Tulsa National Team Champions. Since 1994 they have had 81 State junior Champions. 1994 11 champs 95- 9 champs 96-7 champs 97-10 champs 98-13 champs 99-11 champs 2000-13 champs 2001-7 champs. If you would look on the wall in the wrestling room at parkersburg South you will find since 1993 all the State Champions except 1 have came through the patriot Junior wrestling club. While some from your team have slammed our program i will put our stats up against anyone from the state of WVa. A special thanks to all the coaches from the start of the club to now that have made southside wrestling what it is.Closing i will inform you that Cody Norman won his Only 2 national titles while wrestling as a Patriot. Meaning no dis-respect to the coaching staff at the High school level i just wanted to inform this person about the most sucessful club on southside. Thank you.
Editor's note: Ordinarily I might consider a post such as this a bit too strident, but, hey, whats a little trash-talk among neighbors??

January 25, 2002
comments: To East Mat-maid Just wondering do you know why Daggett forfeited at Winner's choice ? I do and not because he didn't want to wrestle. As a matter of fact he wasn't suppose to wrestle on Wednesday night but did so noone would whine on here. See ya at States.

January 25, 2002
comments: I was just wondering if you even saw the match between Six and Hughes, because Hughes didn't get hurt until the third period. So I guess he wasn't wrestling the majority of the match injured.

January 25, 2002
comments: Why is no one mentioning the"weak" region 1 this year.South and PHS are beating every team from the other regions and John Marshall also has a good team.Other regions have lost some teams and the numbers are getting closer.Anyone want to wager on the number of region 1 wrestlers in the top 3 at states...it will be many!Ripley,Nitro and Huntington will have several also.

January 25, 2002
Editor's note:
We are getting anywhere from 50-100 items per day now to sort through. I'm gonna get caught up tonight if it kills me. In the meantime, keep the material coming and I'll get to it (eventually).

BTW: The link to the OVAC tournament results are posted on the front page. Someone would be doing me a BIG favor if you could key in the results on the tournament results page and send it. I'll get to it someday, but I don't know when.....

Also, I suspect the undefeated list on the front page is out of date. If anyone knows of updates, let me know....

January 25, 2002
comments: Just came from the South/North Marion match and South looked awesome winning 69-10! South wrestlers looked a little lackadasical when they came out but when they hit the mat they pinned almost everyone in sight!If anyone thinks Ryan Metz or Nathan Pickens will not win the state titles at 125 and 160 this year then they haven't seen them on the mat..they are amazing atheletes!This Saturday they will mix it up with nationally ranked Grundy,VA and PHS.Good luck to all the South wrestlers !

January 25, 2002
comments: Daggett will wrestle 189 at regional, 189 at state tournament and bottom line. Thought I would settle it once and for all.

January 25, 2002
comments: Where is the Mason Dixon Conference Tournament being held this weekend? Morgantown High School or South Morgantown Middle School?

January 25, 2002
comments: Congrats to Jeff Courtney on his win over Chris Daggett! We finally got to see who the real champ is in the 189 weight class since Daggett forfeited at the Winner's Choice Tournament. Also congrats to Da Tuna (Anthony) on his 5 second pin! Keep it up & we'll see you in the finals in Huntington! One last thing, Meatball~good luck in recovery next week after surgery.

January 25, 2002
comments: ? are you putting shaw from brook ahead of brandau from preston after he beat him yesterday cause brandau won 7 -3

January 25, 2002
comments: everyone has ryan bumgardner ranked at 119 but he is at 125 and staying there........... but if he didnt there is no one at 119 that would beat him come states time

January 25, 2002
comments: Well, in states, Six also lost to Haddix who he beat the week before. So, what would make you think he could beat Hughes again, after Hughes had no problems with Haddix at all. All I'm saying is I think Six wrestles up and down(big time) and he caught everyone off guard that year,.....

January 25, 2002
comments: To PHS fan: Matts hand is broken in 2 places and I don't see him moving up.

January 25, 2002
comments: Just wondering if Shaun Smith(9th grader) of Blennerhasset moving up to South's lineup after the Jr High Championship next week?

January 25, 2002
comments: I would say that Garvin probably weighed in at 119 and then just bumped up to take the forfeits at 125. Therefore, he can still wrestle 112

January 24, 2002
comments: Hey Tony, nice job on the 5 second fall.

January 24, 2002
comments: Congrats to Derek George from JM for you OVAC title and MOW award. Also Derek collected his 100th win this weekend. If you keep wrestling like you did this weekend nobody in the state will touch you.

January 24, 2002
comments: Hey Doc,
May want to create a link. Wrestling doesn't get much coverage on tv. The more folks that watch the better. themat.com reports that ESPN Classic to air Cael Sanderson piece on College SportsCentury, Friday, January 25 at 7:30 p.m.

January 24, 2002
comments: I was just wondering how come Dana Raban of Ravenswood did not wrestle this past weekend.

January 24, 2002
comments: What is the toughest weight class in AAA? Ive seen where some are saying that it is ll2, it is very tough but I believe 140 is the toughest overall.
Ripley- Nitro 140 Champ 2001
Gibbs- Cabell Midland 130 2nd 2001
Lane- Hoover 135 3rd 2001
Mayle- East Fairmont 140 4th 2001
Dye- S. Parkersburg 145 5th 2001
Bliss- Brooke 140 Qualifier
Devault- Morgantown 130 Qualifier
Kessler- Martinsburg 140 Qualifier
Nott- Point Pleasant 135 Qualifier
George- Parkersburg 130 Qualifier
Gustines- Jefferson (wrestled Jr. High, but great potential)
Adkins- John Marshall (wrestled Jr. High, but great potential)

How about the weakest?
My opinion 145
Lord- Hedgesville 140 2nd 2001
Deweese- Point Pleas. 145 Qualifier 2001
Boyden- Woodrow Wilson 135 Qualifier 2001
Pickens- South Park 130 Qualifier 2001

What do you think?

January 24, 2002
comments: this is for the persone with the newest perdictions......How do you have McCourt over Blosser when Blosser beat McCourt?

January 24, 2002
comments: If you were at the Wheeling Civic Center youth tournament you know how great it was organized and appreciated the nice facilities. From my understanding there were over 400 kids that participated. There were teams from Cleveland and V.A. that loved the tournament and stated their desire to be back next year. The neat thing about the weekend was that the youth tournament was sort of like the grand finaly of the OVAC highschool wrestling. Those who spent the weekend got to see great highschool ,junior high and youth wrestling. There were plenty of nice comfortable seats and kids werent running all over the mats like other tournaments. I encourage anyone who was there if they enjoyed the tournament to tell others.

January 24, 2002
comments: I hear that Matt Grewell's injury is not as bad as first reported. Any chance he and k c ice will move up to high school to tighten up the PHS lineup befor regionals?

January 24, 2002
comments: To Watcher
Hey watcher I don't think you know what you are talking about. Rule 4 Section 4 Article 3 states that ...A contestant shall not wrestle more than one weight class above that class for which his actual weight, at the time of weigh-in, qualifies him. Where did he weigh in at????????????

January 24, 2002
comments: SAM HAZEWINKEL FROM PENSACOLA CHRISTIAN IS THE 119 POUNDER FORM FLORIDA THAT BEAT GROGG IN ALABAMA AT THE HIGH SCHOOL NATIONALS IN THE FINALS. GROGG HAS WRESTLED THE #1 RANKED WRESTLERS IN HIS WEIGHT CLASS. MARK MOOS FROM LAKEWOOD ST ED, CHRISTIAN STAYLOR FROM GREAT BRIDGE. GOOD LUCK SHANE AT WV STATES. WRESTLING THE BEST WILL PAY OFF.

January 24, 2002
comments: To whoever is talking about Six losing first round of states you falled to mention he was regional champ defeating Tyler Hughes. At states Six finished 4th. I know Hughes went on to be the state champ. Losing first round means nothing, at least he didn't give up and went through the cons. bracket. Also, Ash Wenmouth lost first round in 1997 (was a region champ, lost to Region III forth place Matt Simmons)as a freshman and didn't place but went on to be a three time state champ. So I wish Six the best on luck. People need to let the wrestlers do the talking on the mat with their abilities. And stop making excuses why wrestlers lose to someone. Blenn. JH fans congrat Shady Springs on their victory and move on. At WSAZ Shady won the team championship, and was the best team, who cares about when they where beat in a dual. They got the WSAZ team trophy. They worked hard for it and deserve it.

January 24, 2002
comments: i like what redneck river rat or what ever his name was said. and i have to agree.. making predictions on here and bragging and stuff may not be the greatest idea... i had myself so worked up over a match i almost gave myself an ulcer... i mean i'm sure alot of you ppl mean well but your putting alot of pressure on us... i lost a tough match, but i dunno if i'm more upset over losing the match itself or not living up to someone's expectations... i was under the impression that this was supposed to be fun... and for the most part it is... but ppl that post on here (exspecially ppl who don't actually wrestle) should realize that they're putting some strain on alot of the competitors... i'm sure most of you mean well... but just try to consider someone's feelings, we're just kids, we're not gods... we will lose here and there, and to set us up as someone thats invincible isn't right or fair... i don't know maybe i'm the only person that feels like that... but anyways, good luck to everyone in the last stretch before huntington... hope to see you guys down there...

January 24, 2002
comments: We would just like to say how proud we are of Shaun Smith for winning his 3rd straigt WSAZ title for himself and for his Blennerhassett team.Shaun has put alot into his wrestling these past few years,and he continues to get better and stronger. We also would like to say that BLENNERHASSETT has 2 very great coaches. Steve & Gary Porter we are grateful for all that you have taught and gave to Shaun during his Jr.High years.We also would like to thank Dean Moore for Shaun's years at the Patriot Wrestling Club and for all that you gave to him.Also special thanks to older brother Josh for words of wisdom and advice.After the County and Jr.States we will be looking forward to next year when he moves up to PSHS. GO BOBCAT WRESTLING!!!!!

January 24, 2002
comments: The predictions for the AAA 130lb division are totally off. There is no way Ripley's Smith will take that class. Huntington's Williams is simply too good of a wrestler not to win the State this year. He proved that when he beat Lakia from Riverside(OH) at the W.SAZ tournament. He's undefeated and could very well stay that way. Williams will take the AA 130

January 24, 2002
comments: to mr. AApredictor.
Casey Hughes is still ranked first because he's the best 135 in the state period. i dont care that garrett six was ahead of him 2-1 (not 4-1)at ovac's because anyone who saw the match saw that casey wrestled the majority of the match injured and well he ended up on crutches so the kid's got some guts. and when it becomes gut checktime casey hughes is your number 1 135 pounder. so if you'd like mr complainer, go ahead and rank Six number 1 right now to make yourself happy.. go do it now. but when late feb comes around, you'll probably see casey taking the wallchart and the plaque that says "135 AA-A State champion". were you even at the same match? six couldnt do anything to hughes when he was barely walking how will he when he is 100 percent at regionals? i rest my case. sick dogs get well. just be prepared to insert foot in mouth.

January 24, 2002
comments: to everyone out there that thinks chris morrison will not win the state i have some news for you. he is the best wrestler in the state at hwthe lost 4-3 to the #2 kid in the nation and 8-2to the #1 kid in the nation he also beat joey caughy 3-2 who is gonna beat this kid.goodluck chris we know you will do it.and i would also like to wish chris daggett, ryan metz, nathan pickens, and kyle walters good luck they are also shoe ins for the state title.

January 24, 2002
comments: Garvin can still wrestle 112 if he weighed in at 119. Then he could be bumped up to wrestle 125. That is most likely what happened. I think the Morgantown coaches are to smart to have weighed him in at 125. Does anyone know about MHS 135 pounder devault. It would have been nice to see him wrestle Smith from Ripley. I'd have to go with Smith, but Devault may be a dark horse at 135 for the finals. I'm not predicting... just a possibility.

January 24, 2002
comments: Mr. LKC Spectator -- I checked Wirt's schedule and there did not appear to be any conflict with the tri-match with South and Warren, Ohio. So, if as you say, you are as good as your competition would it not have made sense to have wrestler South twice? Hint, hint. If South is the cream of the crop in West Virginia then if Wirt had the opportunity to wrestle South twice and chose not to do so, what is that to say?

Incidentally, it only means something if you actually beat that better competition you are wrestling. That's why Williamstown's fourth-place finish at Fairmont is a whole lot more impressive than Wirt's 18th-place finish. You got to beat the toughies before it means anything because anybody can lose to the toughies. Hint, hint.

January 24, 2002
comments: I believe that the Mason Dixon Conference tournament to be held this weekend at Morgantown High school will be a tough one. Four of the conference's 12 teams are ranked top 10 in their respective polls. Mannington (3rd), East Fairmont (7th), Buckhannon-Upshur (9th) among middle schools and Cameron is (9th)among jr. highs. I feel this years winner will truely be one of the top 3 teams in the state as far as middle schools are concerned. ~ wrestling Fan

January 24, 2002
email: harp@nobleco.net
comments: I Would like to know the name of the bridge st. coach and a contact # to get some results from some of the teams he has wrestled Thank you. Caldwell Jr. High coach J.D. Harper

January 24, 2002
comments: Is Josh Neal from Shady Spring moving up soon to wrestle high school? What high school will he be helping? Good luck Josh and I know we'll be seeing you at States!

January 24, 2002
comments: Who cares if Six lost first round of states last year. This is a different season. Ash Wemouth lost first round to Matt Simmons of East Bank in 97, then went on to be 3-time state champ.

January 24, 2002
comments: How many times has Daggett (PHS) weighed in at 171? You must have aty least half your weigh-ins during the season at the weight class you will wrestle at the region. I have only read about him at 189. Has he been at 171? If he doesn't make the weight, it looks as this weight class belongs to the Nicholas County wrestler, McCutcheon.

January 24, 2002
comments: The person who predicted Mays of Huntington to walk through the 160 weight class must only be watching wrestling in the southern part of the state! There's a young man named Pickens at South that may show up for the dance!Should be fun to watch.Also,Ryan Metz is simply amazing to watch wrestle this year and 125 will be his to win,in my opinion.To Shane Smith of Williamstown...I played some softball with your dad and it is obvious you inherited some of his toughness.He is a good man..Good luck to you!

January 24, 2002
comments: to just another calhoun fan- i was not taking anything away from what calhoun as accomplished this far just stating the fact that IT DOESNT MATTER the only thing that matters is how a team performs at states sure they may finsih top 5 and maybe even as high as 2 but i do not see them beating oak glen and we all know that 2nd place is the first loser

January 23, 2002
comments: Hughes and Six was 2-1 when he defaulted... Hughes fell to the mat and couldn't get up, that's not really a takedown. I feel that anyone with some offense will beat Six in state(he lost first round last year).

January 23, 2002
comments: After waiting in a crowded gym with wooden bleachers at the Trinity Hiller tournament until 7:30 pm Saturday, the Wheeling youth tournament at the fabulous Civic Center on Sunday was a breath of fresh air. Thank you Abbey Rush and Mr. George for working so hard for all the kids.

January 23, 2002
comments: Jared Garvin of Morgantown wrestled 125...but they were forfeits...isn't there a rule saying u cannot drop down 2 weight classes....i dunno if forfeits count, but that means he would hafta wrestle 119 if it is true...

January 23, 2002
comments: 103- Easter-Nitro
112-Ballam,Turnbull,Rader???could go either way.
119-Easter-Nitro
125-Metz(no Doubt)-PS
130-smith-Ripley
135-smith-Ripley
140-Lane-Herbert Hoover
145-Lord-Hedgesville
152-Warner-Point Pleasant-saw him wrestle at winners choice...Awesome
160-Pickens-PS
171-Daggett-PHS
189-Courtney-East Fairmont-just plain awesome
215-Starsick-North Marion- not real energetic or excited ever but will get the job done
275-Satterfield,McCourt- i think McCourt could do it

January 23, 2002
comments: can anyone tell me why matt warner of point pleasant didn't wrestle this weekend at the wsaz's. I was really looking forword to seeing him wresrle I would like an answer if anyone can help.

January 23, 2002
comments: With all the hoopla around Rader from PHS and Turnbull from University, many overlook Garvin from Morgantown. My predictions for the state finals include Ballam VS Garvin IV. Winners Choice match in the quarters was sensational. I feel Ballam can beat Rader and Turnbull, but will still have problems with Garvin. That boy is very slick. 112 is probably the most competitive weight class in WV.

January 23, 2002
comments: Indeed, the question truly is "COULD ANYONE BEAT THE #1 119 POUNDER IN THE COUNTRY FROM GREAT BRIDGE CH. STAYLOR." Does anyone know anything about the boy from florida who would have tech falled Grogg in the finals at Burmingham NHSCA? That boy was quite impressive. I feel Grogg is an outstanding wrestler and that anyone who dominates him must be INCREDIBLE.

January 23, 2002
comments: to the person who picked the AAA winners. you actually think that someone will beat easter at 103, turnbull will beat rader after already losing twice to him?, frerichs will beat metz...? no one will beat metz at states,and hutchison will beat smith,griffith,or duncan and then get MOW? the rest are good but the others just might have to be a WHOLE lotta wishful thinking.

January 23, 2002
comments: THESE ARE MY PREDICITIONS FOR AAA STATES THIS YEAR FROM 103-25

103:                       112:
1)EASTER - NITRO           1)TURNBULL - UNIVERSITY     
2)CAPPAS - MORGANTOWN      2)HUMPHREYS - WHEELING PARK
3)OSUNA COTTO - SOUTH      3)RADER - PARKERSBURG
4)SHYVER - PARKERSBURG     4)GARVIN - MORGANTOWN

119:                          125:
1)EASTER - NITRO              1)METZ - SOUTH
2)GROGG - SOUTH               2)SHAW - BROOKE
3)LITTON - PARKERSBURG        3)FRERICHS - NITRO
4)FOUSELETOS - JOHN MARSHALL  4)CASTO - RIPLEY

January 23, 2002
comments: i dunno how u people can say for AAA 112 is gonig to be rader this and rader that i think it's going to be turnbull and humphrey in the finals. becuase i think turnbull will either catch rader this time or humphrey will beat rader again.

January 23, 2002
comments: Congratulation to Shady Springs on the WSAZ title and Josh Neal on runner-up. Way to revenge the lost to Easter and keep working hard and you will get Porter when it matters most.

January 23, 2002
comments: AAA pick...(135 and 160) At 135--Hutch from Spring Valley won't be able to beat Duncan from Point...or Nelson Huntington
At 160--Mays Huntington...unless there is a true sleeper out there will handle states like he did the WSAZ Tournoment

January 23, 2002
comments: I've heard that some key wrestlers will be out soon because of grades. When does the grades come out? Who will be affected?
Editor's note: Sorry, I don't publish that info. Check the FERPA act.....

January 23, 2002
comments: Will Sonny Dye from South be competing this weekend? Is he injured? What about Wright. I think Parkersburg may beat South on this go round. I predict 39-37 PHS win. Also any chance Rader will bump up to wrestle Grogg.

January 23, 2002
comments: mr.aapredictor, in the 130 class derek metz of calhoun , just had a victory over joey lobis of ritchie, this weekend.

January 23, 2002
comments: Top 5 AAA
TEAM
1. Parkersburg
2. John Marshall
3. Park. South
4. Huntington
5. East Fairmont
(tie) Nitro

103                   112                   119              
1. Easter- Nit       1. Radar- Park        1. Easter-Nit
2. Shyver- Park      2. Turnbull- Unv      2. Grogg- PS
3. Howard- JM        3. Humphrey- WP       3. Litton- Park
4. Cappas- Mgt       4. Riner- Hun         4. Fasuluetos- JM
5. Osuna-Cotto- PS   5. Garvin- Mgt        5. Fullen- Hun
6. Clark- Mus        6. Ballam- Hedg       6. Hodges- CM

125                   130            
1. Metz- PS          1. Smith- Rip
2. Shaw- Brk         2. Bosley- PS
3. Frerichs- Nit     3. Williams- Hun
4. Reynolds- Jef     4. Knapp- Park 
5. Brandaue- Pre     5. Kennedy- WP
6. Casto- Rip        6. Evans- WW

....the rest to come later

January 23, 2002
comments: COMMENTS TO THE AAA PICKS.
103 COTTO SOUTH
112 TURNBULL UNIVERSITY
125 FERICHS NITRO
160 DELLGATI FS

THERE IS NO WAY IT CAN TURN OUT LIKE THAT!!
HERE ARE THE WINNERS IN THOSE WEIGHT CLASSES!!
103 EASTER NITRO THEN COTTO SOUTH
112 RADER PHS KNOW ONE WILL BEAT him!!
125 METZ SOUTH
160 PICKENS SOUTH WONT BE TOUCHED,A #1 WRESTLER!!!

January 23, 2002
comments: Cong.to the Hedgesville Eagles who placed 2nd at the Mussleman Invatational this past weekend!Great wrestling guy's! Special cong.to Danny Lord,Kevin Ballam and Mike Mckinney on their 1st place wins!Cong.to Troy Foltz and Brad Ammons on their 2nd place wins!Cong. to Justin Zimmerman and Jeremy Bryant on their 3rd place Wins and cong.to Derek Young on his fourth place win! Keep up the great wrestling and Good Luck to all this weekend at CVAL's at Mussleman! I hope to be there,I try to follow Hedg. as much as possibe.

January 23, 2002
comments: A big congratulations to Pete Hashman from St. Marys on his first place finish in the 215 class at WSAZ's. Great Job!!!

January 23, 2002
103:
Matthew Valles, WM
Erica Dye, Wirt
Bryan Snuffer, Ind
Justin Goneau, OG
Bryan Gungle, Cal
Shaun Snoberger, Frank

112:
Justin Ashley, Cal
Matt Morris, Brax
Jesse Biddle, Will
Daniel Allen, Wirt
Dustin Bartrug, StM
Noah O'Neil, Cam

119:
Daniel Whiteman, Hund
Casey Biddle, Will
Ryan Bumgardner, Rit
Brennan Chambers, OG
Cody Shirey,Frank

125:
Chris Morris, Cal
Justin Kotson, Cam
Ian Whittington, OG
Brian Mills, Ind
Bob Brookover, Will

130:
Joey Lobis, Rit
Drew Myers, Frank
Pat Bell, GW
Derek Metz, Cal
Ryan Elder, Will
Matt Howrylak,Win

135:
Casey Hughes, Cam
Adam Leach, Graf
Garrett Six, OG
Brandon Dye, Wirt
Dale Everett, StM
James Hardin, Win

140:
Steve Flowers, OG
Justin Dennis, Wirt
Jeff Morris, Cal
Neil Wright, Frank
Alan Tracewell, Will
Joel O'Neil, Cam
 145:
Shane Smith, Will
Ben Wood, Ind
Matt Wharton, OG
Terry Childers, StM
Brad Nicka, WM
Devon Bosley, Frank

152:
Tyler Westbrook, Will
Tucker Brown, Cam
Chris Miller, Wirt
Todd Snider, Tyl
Andy Stewart, Brax
Wesley Bowles, MB

160:
Roger Kupfer, Cam
Jamie Dent, Hund
Mark Smith, GW
Jamie Moore, BS
Lee Lauderman, Will
Dewayne Rhodes, Ind

171:
Derrick Stickles, OG
Trampus Efaw, Graf
Ray Burge, Cal
Buster Carico, LR
Matt Seckman, Will
Robert Ward, Ind
189:
Ronnie Hebrock, OG
Aaron Barnette, Ind
Josh Clark, BS
Ryan Delebreau, Will
Fred Lafferty, LR
Dustin Bosley, Frank

215:
Vince Magnone, Weir
Donnie Peck, Clay
Pete Hashman, StM
Bill Whitehall, Oag Glen
Joe Weaver, Mag
Kenny Hollenbach, Graf

275:
Joey Caughey, OG
Charlie Gibson, Cal
Dana Raban, Rav
M.Crookshanks, GW
Luke Shepherd, Tyler

January 23, 2002
comments: I just want to make the comment that by building these wrestlers up your setting them up for disaster, Your adding pressure to them and then if they get beat they feel like crap cuz they let people down. Making predictions and stuff is great it gives other fans a chance to compare there thoughts, but there is a limit to what you should say. Putting people down and calling them lower calibor and other stuff is just childish. It may be hard for some of you to understand, but wrestlers can be friends with another teams wrestler. What we are doing here is trying every possible way to destroy this. Remember that these kids are in junior high and high school and there human don't push them to be something there not. Wrestlers give up so much to do what they do. Give all wrestlers the respect they need.

January 23, 2002
comments: How can you put Hughes in front of Six, when Six was beating him 4-1 and he had to default?

January 23, 2002
comments: Can you bump down a weight class to wrestle for regionals? Im not sure but i believe you could in the past and i was wanting to know if you could do that still.

January 23, 2002
comments: To dg Wirt pulled out of the South, Warren match from last Wednesday cause they are gonna wrestle South, PHS, and Grundy, VA. Saturday the 26th, they are looking for ways to better themselves and they won't do it if they wrestle easy competition cause you are only AS good AS your competition. (hint, hint).

January 23, 2002
email: JH_thing_Litten@msn.com
comments: I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!! to all the Franfort Falcon wrestlers and coaches.

January 23, 2002
comments: I do agree saying Matt Easter is a better over all wrestler than Shane Smith, but saying McCutcheon of Nicholas is i think a claim with which I disagree. Shane is only a Soph and already been in the state finals once, The best 171lber in the state, that would be Derek Stickles of Oak Glen.

January 23, 2002
comments: I UNDERSTAND BLENNERHASSETT BEAT SHADY SPRINGS IN A DUAL MEET THIS YEAR. DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE SCORE? SINCE SHADY WON THE WSAZ BY A 1/2 POINT, WHO IS REALLY THE BEST TEAM? WHO EVER COMES OUT ON TOP, NOBODY CAN MATCH THE SKILL LEVEL, THE AGGRESIVENESS LEVEL, NOR THE SPORTSMANSHIP THAT BLENNERHASSETT SHOWED THIS PAST WEEKEND. BEING THE FIRST TIME THAT I SEEN THEM WRESTLE THIS YEAR I WAS AMAZED THAT THEY ARE SO CLASSY FOR BEING ONLY A JR.HIGH. THEY ARE A ROLE MODEL THAT ALL JR. HIGH OR MIDDLE SCHOOLS SHOULD TRY TO SHOOT FOR.

January 23, 2002
comments: Who said anything about 7 2nd places and 2 6th places? quit trying

January 23, 2002
comments: I'm sorry, but I don't care how many notches Bliss turns it up, he will face Ripley and company at 140. If the OVAC wasn't so easy this year, it would have shown there too. Also, I'd of loved to saw what Kupfer would have done to Bertolino in the OVAC finals, PIN PIN PIN!! He had Prokapakis pinned in the semi's when they DQ'd him. I think he's by far the best wrestler around this year (also along with this category should go shane smith and ryan metz). I think they should meet up sometime so Bertolino meet this challenge. And why not Stickles too... And the word in Marshall county is that Casey Hughes has an injury, not good for Cameron, but they expect he'll try to be back for states.

January 23, 2002
comments: You're right Shady Spring Jr High does show 2 wrestlers in 2 weight classes, but the 100 pounder only won a pigtail and then lost out, the 95# never won a match. Don't try to find excuses why Blennerhasset didn't win just congratulate Shady Spring Jr High on their victory at the WSAZ tournament.
Editor's note: Yikes, the last thing I want to get is a stink stirred up over the scoring at the WSAZ. I just posted Brent Sams's fine commentary, and he noted that there were some scoring errors with Shady which were straigtened out at the tournament. So, best evidence is that any problems which may have occured were corrected BEFORE the end of the tourney and final scores were posted....

January 22, 2002
MrAAPredictor
email: Mraapredictor@hotmail.com
Team Scores:
Oak Glen
Williamstown
Calhoun
Wirt
Cameron
Independence
Grafton
Berkeley Springs
Greenbrier West
Frankfort
103:
Matthew Valles, WM
Erica Dye, Wirt
Bryan Snuffer, Ind
Justin Goneau, OG
Bryan Gungle, Cal
Shaun Snoberger, Frank

112:
Justin Ashley, Cal
Daniel Allen, Wirt
Matt Morris, Brax
Jesse Biddle, Will
Dustin Bartrug, StM
Noah O'Neil, Cam

119:
Daniel Whiteman, Hund
Casey Biddle, Will
Ryan Bumgardner, Rit
Brennan Chambers, OG
Tim McCoy, Wirt

125:
Chris Morris, Cal
Justin Kotson, Cam
Ian Whittington, OG
Brian Mills, Ind
Wes Kimble, Peter
Bob Brookover, Will

130:
Joey Lobis, Rit
Pat Bell, GW
Drew Myers, Frank
Ryan Elder, Will
Derek Metz, Cal
Matt Dye, Wirt

135:
Casey Hughes, Cam
Adam Leach, Graf
Garrett Six, OG
Brandon Dye, Wirt
Dale Everett, StM
James Hardin, Win

140:
Steve Flowers, OG
Justin Dennis, Wirt
Jeff Morris, Cal
Alan Tracewell, Will
Joel O'Neil, Cam
Frank Gregg, Berk. Springs
145:
Shane Smith, Will
Ben Wood, Ind
Matt Wharton, OG
Terry Childers, StM
Brad Nicka, WM
Devon Bosley, Frank

152:
Tyler Westbrook, Will
Tucker Brown, Cam
Chris Miller, Wirt
Todd Snider, Tyl
Andy Stewart, Brax
Wesley Bowles, MB

160:
Roger Kupfer, Cam
Jamie Dent, Hund
Mark Smith, GW
Jamie Moore, BS
Lee Lauderman, Will
Dewayne Rhodes, Ind

171:
Derrick Stickles, OG
Ray Burge, Cal
Trampus Efaw, Graf
Buster Carico, LR
Robert Ward, Ind
Matt Seckman, Will

189:
Ronnie Hebrock, OG
Aaron Barnette, Ind
Josh Clark, BS
Ryan Delebreau, Will
Fred Lafferty, LR
Dustin Bosley, Frank

215:
Vince Magnone, Weir
Donnie Peck, Clay
Pete Hashman, StM
Bill Whitehall, Oag Glen
Joe Weaver, Mag
Kenny Hollenbach, Graf

275:
Joey Caughey, OG
Charlie Gibson, Cal
Dana Raban, Rav
M.Crookshanks, GW
Luke Shepherd, Tyler
Kris Roberts, MT

Please feel free to comment on these rankings.

January 22, 2002
comments: To: PHS Fan
I guess you are right. 4 first place, 7 second place and two 6 place wrestlers at the state tournament is terrible. I guess the Big Reds have placed all of there wrestlers at a number of state tournaments.

January 22, 2002
comments: to my knowledge, aaron barnette from indy is undefeated in state competition

January 22, 2002
comments: http://www.ovac.org/standings-w.asp
Link to the OVAC resutls and brackets

January 22, 2002
103 cotto south
112 turnbull university
119 easter nitro
125 frerichs nitro
130 williams huntington
135 hutchinson spring valley
140 gibbs cabell midland
145 lord hedgesville
152 warner pp
160 dellgati fs
171 daggett phs
189 courtney fs
215 starsick nm
275 tyree nc
outstanding wrestler hutchinson spring valley coach of the year whittington hedgesville

January 22, 2002
comments: At the Parkersburg High Memorial Fieldhouse, Grundy Va., South, PHS and Wirt County will square off at 11:30 a.m.
This quad could possibly be the best one this year.
103: Felix Osuna Cotto (SOUTH)-Erica Dye (WC)-Robert Shyver(PHS)
275: Chris Morrison will rematch the No. 1 kid in the nation in Grundy's Childress. Childress beat Morrison 8-2 at Va. Duals.
There will be plenty of other matches guaranteed to give you your money's worth. Will there be Daggett-Pickens Part II?
Saturday at 11:30 a.m. had all of our answers.

January 22, 2002
comments: To LKC Spectator:
I have seen Wirt wrestle. I have seen Williamstown wrestle. And, I have seen Calhoun wrestle. I can tell you with most assuredly Calhoun would do just fine wrestling the schedule Williamstown and Wirt have. And, speaking of Wirt, why did it opt out of the match with Parkersburg South and Warren, Ohio?

Also, to the Shane Smith fan. I think if you said Shane Smith was the best wrestler in the state at 145 you may not get much of an argument. At least not at this time. But if you mean he is better than, for instance, Easter of Nitro (125) or McCutcheon of Nicholas (171) you might get lots of arguments.

There is no way of comparing between weight classes ... can't be done.

January 22, 2002
comments: Bliss from Brooke will take the crown in states, he has turned it up that extra notch!!

January 22, 2002
comments: I would just like to say that this is the first year my kids have participated in youth wrestling but Andy Norman, Jason Enoch, "Toad" Fordyce, Kenny Richards, Mike Fordyce, Craig Shively, and Kevin Holbert the coaches of Mineral Wells have brught out more in my kids than I ever imagined. My youngest son who is 6 has already won a tournament andmy oldest son who is 7 has finished second twice in tough tournaments and took a third place in Warren's Tournament. My oldest son has went from knowing nothing to beating wrestlers that has wrestled 4 years. My youngest son has learned moves that I have not seen other 6 year olds use. The patience that these coaches use with the kids on the team is amazing. I would not have my kids in any other program. Andy Norman gets everything out of every kid because he is a great motivator. He has the kids believing in themselves. I know we have the best coaches in the Parkersburg area youth wrestling area and that includes the private clubs. Go Mineral Wells!

January 22, 2002
comments: where can i find (in WRITING) the rule which states the SIZE required for a new high school wrestling mat? wv / AAA thanks
Editor's note: Used to be in the National Federation rule book. I don't have the latest copy, but last time I looked it is 28' circle with recommended 5' out-of-bounds, which makes for 38'X38'. Is this correct??

January 22, 2002
comments: on behalf of the Brooke HS Wrestling Boosters, I would like to congratulate Phil Bliss on a first place finish at the OVACS. this kid is one of the most dedicated athletes i have seen in a long time. congratulations to Braden Shaw and David Durbin and the rest of the Brooke Wrestlers for great efforts and great finishes. this is the best Brooke High has finished at OVAC's in years. It should also be mentioned that the Brooke wrestlers that placed are the products of the brooke cubs wrestling program also. The Felton boys (remember them!) should be proud of all our kids as they mature, knowing they were partially responsible for providing the boys a solid foundation. our team is still young so..........watch out for BROOKE the next couple years. GO BRUINS !!!! bob molnar...booster president

January 22, 2002
comments: Questions to ponder. Is wrestling a team sport or an individual sport? During duels coaches move wrestlers around to increase chances to win the dual. I don't think anyone disputes a coach's right to do so.

However, should a coach move a wrestler up a weight come regionals if it increases his teams chances of winning states, even if it decreases one individuals chance to win a state title?

I can think of at least two/three teams that might increase their chances of scoring points at states by moving wrestlers around but should they? I don't know the answer. I think if we had a dual state tournament in addition to the individual state tournament it would be a pretty easy decision, but without one makes for some interesting questions. Personally, I lean toward letting the wrestler decide what weight to wrestle if he can win wrestle-offs, but don't necessarily believe that I am right.

January 22, 2002
comments: I would like to congratulate Wheeling on running a smooth tournament. After the previous couple of years I must say I was impressed.

January 22, 2002
comments: WHY IS EVERYONE CONCERNED ABOUT MAGNIANI VS EASTER , THE REAL QUESTION IS . COULD ANYONE BEAT THE #1 119 POUNDER IN THE COUNTRY FROM GREAT BRIDGE CH. STAYLOR. I WATCHED HIM 15 POINT SHANE GROGG IN 3 MINUTES. NOTHING ABOUT SHANE HE IS A GREAT WRESTLER.STAYLOR WOULD 15 POINT EASTER AND MAGNIANI. STAYLOR BEAT THE #2 119 BY 6 AND THE #3 BY 8, SO YOU DECIDE.

January 22, 2002
comments: The 1987-1988 Parkersburg Big Reds were the best team this state has ever seen. This team was strong from top to bottom. There were 7 individual state champs out of 13 weight classes with 1 runner up. This scored PHS enough points to win the team championship, beating the record for most points scored in a state tournament by more than 100 points. They were awesome.

January 22, 2002
comments: congrats to matt smith 112 8th jon jon mcfarland 119 6th braden shaw 125 3rd dave durbin 135 3rd and phil bliss 140 champion congrats to of you guys and lets go get them at states

January 22, 2002
comments: To: old golden bear
comments: A AA team can choose to compete at AAA level (state tournaments). However, I think it is a decision that is made for all sports, i.e. Oak Glen could not just choose to wrestle AAA, they would have to play all sports at AAA. An example is Phillip-Barbour. They are a AA school as far as enrollment numbers, but they choose to compete at the AAA level for all sports (see the WSSAC site).

January 22, 2002
comments: For you guys making predictions. Richards from Riverside @ 215 is having a good year. Finished runner up at WSAZ. Watch him. Riverside's team is young so give them two more years and they should make some noise in Region III. Nitro has a great team, too bad they can't fill the higher weight classes, but they have some talented wrestlers.

January 22, 2002
comments: LOOKING AT THE SHADY SPRINGS JR HIGH TEAM REPORT ON THE WSAZ PAGE , THEY HAVE "TWO" 95 POUNDERS AND "TWO" 100 POUNDERS SCORING POINTS FOR THE "A" TEAM. ( they shoud have been on the "B" team.) THEY ONLY WON BY 4 1/2 POINTS, IS THERE SOMTHING WRONG HERE OR WHAT?

January 22, 2002
comments: Congrats to Steve & Gary Porter and their Blennerhassett team.You run a class program and your team is fun to watch. Chad Porter,Drew Munson and Shawn Smith were the cream of the crop.Keep up the good work, you are making SOUTH better. Good job from EDISON also. Thanks for a fun weekend.

January 22, 2002
comments: What is the current status of the injured South wrestlers and when are they expected back?

January 22, 2002
comments: why isnt wojo of riverside 9th on the undefeated wrestlers list he is 28-0
Editor's note: Because nobody told me.

January 22, 2002
comments: Will the results from musselman's tourny on 1-19 be posted?? i know that some of the teams listed to attend that tourny cancelled due to the weather but were there still enough teams attending to hold the tournament?

January 22, 2002
comments: The Wheeling Civic Center/Wheeling WRESTLING Tournament was awesome! A great facility 6 mats(room for 8) plenty of parking,seats for over 5000 and great hospitality by the sponsor team. Got to see some fantastic wrestling at the Civic Center all weekend beginning with the OVAC'S and followed by the 15 yr old down to 6 and under tournament on Saunday. Who says wrestling is dead in the northern panhandle??? Watch out Parkersburg- maybe the real youth state tournament should be held in the friendly city of Wheeling!

January 22, 2002
comments: Good luck 2 South and Phs on the 26.It's goin 2 be a good night 2 watch high school wrestling.I think the best wrestler in WV is 112 Brandon Rader he will be a 4x state champ.have any of u saw this kid,he's good at any postion? Metz he will win the states with ease!!Good luck Ryan. Phs has a good chance to beat south at the states.I saw someone had George from Phs at # 7 no way that kid is geting better every match.George place 3 at the Winner's Choice with ease. I say George will get 3rd at the states at lease.

January 22, 2002
comments: Not meaning to sound boastful but my WSAZ predictions showed a high degree of accuracy.

January 22, 2002
comments: Does anyone know who won outstanding wrstler at WSAZ? Or do they even have it?

January 22, 2002
comments: Congratulations to all of the Brooke Wrestlers who placed this weekend at the OVAC's!!
Matt smith(112) finished 8th, John McFarland(119) finished 6th,
Braden Shaw(125)finished 3rd, David Durbin(135) finished 3rd and
Phil Bliss(140) was the champion!!!
Great finish guys, and let your body heal regions are close!! Good luck with Parkersburg and Fairmont!!
Most place winners since 1994, very good show!!

January 22, 2002
comments: Can anyone tell me where I can find a sight that will tell me the top rated wreslter in the of WV. I can not seem to find a list on here?

January 22, 2002
comments: Id like to congratulate Josh Grim,And Derek Young on teir outstanding wrestling performance If you guys read this good job and good luck.

January 22, 2002
comments: hey yoyoyo, don't get you boxer in such a binde, and as for lkc spectator, remember this is about the kids and having fun while they can still be kids. if you are a kid, you really need to lighten up a bit. don't give yourself high blood pressure before you turn 18. the kids just wrestle where they are scheduled to wrestle. chill out dude, you'll live a longer healtier life.

January 22, 2002
comments: Congratulations to SHADY SPRING JR. HIGH SCHOOL ! W.S.A.Z TEAM CHAMPIONS. You guys showed that wrestling in RALEIGH COUNTY is solid as ever ! You are the first non Wood county team to win it since they started attending 2 years ago. Good luck also to the Shady Jr. High wrestlers moving up to the high school team at the end of this week. Congratulations also to Raleigh county teams Woodrow Wilson High School, Independence High School, Independence Jr. High and Park Jr. High on Top 10 finishes in their respective divisions !

January 22, 2002
comments: I wanna know who made Ben Wood the Favorite in AA to start with, Heck Shane Smith was in the state finals too and he wrestled the one kid no one in AA wanted to wrestle last year Eric Noel and wrestled him down to the wire. So why couldnt Shane have been the favorite to start with.

January 22, 2002
comments: does anyone know if shaun smith and nick munday are going to wrestle at junior states in parkersburg this year? if so what age and weight" ?

January 22, 2002
comments: congradulations to wojo from riverside 9th for his win at WSAZ and his undefeated season 28-0

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page