West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 2003 Forum (Part Four)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 31, 2003
comments: To who ever put that shirley from point pleasant over anderson from hebert hoover in your predictions on AA-A region 4 is wrong earlier in the year Bishop Hoovers 215 pounder pinned shirley with ease at the st albans dauls. Also everyone look out for seth moales at 171 he is coming back and is gonna be ready for competition. i just thought i would through that in there as well. But other than this i say your prediction are rather decent and to everyone else keep them AA-A predictions coming to me i think it gives the kids a little bit more to work for while also building their confidence.

January 31, 2003
comments: calhoun will have 7 kids in the region finals while point pleasant will have 4 in the finals . calhoun will have champions at 119,125,145,152,171. P.P.130,140 there is noway that point will beat calhoun by 15 .they better worry about 2nd because they can't catch the red devils.calhoun will take 12 kids to the states as p.p. will take 10 maybe 9 if the 152lb wrestler will qualify! red devils region 4 champions!

January 31, 2003
comments: dose anyone have any picks for region 1 AAA at 215??

January 31, 2003
comments: There's a new kid in town. Watch out for BOLEN 100lbs, a 6th grade 2nd year wrestler from IJHS. He took 1st place in the county this year, I wonder, what does Warden put in Gatorade?

January 31, 2003
comments: alright fella's, here's how 152 is gonna be
1. Lord
2. Norman
3. Bliss
4. Evans
5. Cornecelli
6. Meyers

January 31, 2003
comments: I think you should take the link to WV Sports on the Net off the other wrestling links page because they never have any wrestling articles on there. According to them Football and Basketball are the only sports in WV.

January 31, 2003
comments: I think the Codie Gustines will beat Mitch Smtih at states this year.There are both good wretlers and it will be a good match,but i am postitive that gustine will beat smith.For his little brother as in age but not in size whys will also surprise some people at states this year.He took Danny Lord into overtime at the Musslem tournmnet.Then at the winners choice he didnt wreslte up to his abality.He should have not lost to Evans or Corncelli.He will be rady for states.Steven reyonalds will also be a state champion and i dont see anybody beaten him,dorsey will be a good contender at 130 he will give easter all he wants just watch and see,GOOD LUCK JEFFESON

January 31, 2003
comments: Hey yes Miller(Wirt) might have beat dennis(Rav) but if u remeber Knott(Point) beat Miller 11-3 at jcis but then Miller pinned Knott at Nitro i just got to say that just because dennis lost too miller at wsaz's doesn't mean anything till we get to states

January 31, 2003
comments: To whomever wrote us such a nice letter. It is obvious that you are just upset that your child or someone from your school has been beaten or should i say embarressed by one of us.I just want to thank you for the compliment to our wrestling program.
P.S. Next time include your name in the letter

January 31, 2003
comments: I'm not saying that tyler consl. doesnt have a good team but Mannington did finish ahead of them at Cameron and the only reason tyler beat them head to head is Mannington only filled 7 weight classes which they went 7-0 head to head and all wins were by fall but still lost 48-42.

January 31, 2003
comments: Reply to Wrestling Fan For All
Thanks for noticing our young team. I too was disappointed when I saw that our team, Tyler Consolidated Middle, had dropped in the polls from 11th to 21st after having such a great showing at Tyler's Valley Clash.

The team's success is a reflection of how great a coach we have at Tyler Consolidated. Coach McKeever has done wonders with these fine young men. At the beginning of the season, only six of his 18 wrestlers had any mat experience. Five of those six had only one year of experience as we do not have a pee-wee program. Coach McKeever is a great mentor and motivator. We are very proud to have him as our coach.

January 31, 2003
comments: WHEN YOU SEED A TOURNEY YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE STRENGHT OF THE WRESTLER'S OPPOSITION...THE NCAA SEEDS BASED ON THIS...

January 31, 2003
comments: so you are telling me that Jordan Flynt from braxton is better than Drew Myers. So your telling me your gonna put words in my mouth. I didnt say that, i said it should be a good match. and to whoever said metz was state champ thanks for the correction.my mistake. any way i watched both myers and flynt wrestle at the Big 16 im just saying everyone has there day and it could be flynts at the smash and then regionalsl. dont get me wrong myers is good but not unbeatable. like i said before good luck to both and let the best man win...

January 31, 2003
comments: Tex, the AA-A Region IV tournament is at Roane County ... that's what I was talking about. I said maybe I'd see you there. As for the tournament itself, good luck to Point Pleasant but I still think Calhoun beats them.

Here's why:
1. Calhoun should win titles at 125, 145, 152 and 171. Going into the Williamstown Rumble Saturday those four have a combined record of 116-5.
2. Calhoun has solid wrestlers -- wrestlers who should score in the top four -- at 103, 112, 119, 135, 140 and 160.
3. Calhoun finally has a full squad. When Point Pleasant won the dual at Spencer earlier in the season they had no heavweight. The 130-pounder was the 119-pounder wrestling up because he was over the weight limit and could not beat out the 125-pounder. The 160 was a second-teamer (record 4-12) who was wrestling there while the first-teamer (record 21-6) was getting down to weight.
4. Calhoun started the season with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores who have gained valuable experience as the year has progressed.

I know Point Pleasant is a talented team with several good wrestlers. I just don't think it has enough to beat Calhoun at this time.

January 31, 2003
comments: can anyone tell me who all is going to be at the raider cup this weekend in roane????

January 31, 2003
comments: Congrats to South on the defeat over North Marion. You all did a very nice job. I think 145 - Hayes should have won though. Even though I'm all for South. Hayes's technique is outstanding, and very clean. Hayes you have a lot going for yourself. 32-1 is overwhelming at this time in wrestling. You'll prove to those at states what your all about. You looked real good out there. I think you did a fantastic job. Good luck in future matches.

January 31, 2003
comments: brooke is a tuff team.. also can i get the editor to leave smith-119 a little note.. :) ;D
Editor: Sure. Matt Smith from Brooke was ranked at #8 in the initial AAA Coaches poll. He was runner-up at the Brooke Classic and placed 4th at the OVAC. AAA 119 appears to be loaded this year. You have
Brandon Rader, Parkersburg High
Jared Garvin, Morgantown
Brian Humphrey, Wheeling Park
Justin Lodge, North Marion
Jon Smith, Jefferson
Alan Ford, Fairmont Senior
Bobby Cooper, Ripley
Matt Smith, Brooke
Chad Porter, Parkersburg South
Aaron Glasser, Buckhannon Upshur
Robert Conner, Martinsburg
Pete Allen, Nitro
Sean Meade WW
and a host of others. Good luck to all in Huntington....

January 31, 2003
comments: To the wrestlers of Parkersburg South, every year before the state tournament I ask my father if we have what it takes to win. Never before has he been wrong. He has told me when we don't and when we do. He is going on a 100% streak. He says you can do it this year! South is and always has been a tournament team and we know what counts. That is where we end up on Saturday night at Huntington, WV. PHS may have beat us at the dual match, but we will show them what we strive for all year long. What most of you have worked for since you started wrestling so long ago. You will succeed in the goal that you set at the beginning of the season. We will be #1 in the state. As a whole, we are the best! Don't let anyone take that away from you! Good luck, give it your all, and I know where we will end up on the score boards at the Civic Center. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

January 31, 2003
comments: To the Shady Springs fan, yes, you beat us by points at the WSAZ tournament, but we are undefeated as a team as of tonight when we finished our matches and beat Blennerhasset. The points are done overall, not one school against another at the WSAZ tournament. Our team was also missing 4 team members, but I felt overall, we did a pretty good job. Blennerhasset may have beat us there, but we beat them as a team in Parkersburg on the mats here, one on one, in the weight classes. These boys work too hard to have someone say they don't deserve where they are, or it was just favortism.

January 31, 2003
comments: With all this talk about Point Pleasant, Calhoun, and of course, Oak Glen. I think people are forgetting about one of the most obvious contenders: Cameron. The Dragons have a full line-up once again, and are getting better by the day! They are going to sneak up on you people in the last few weeks of February. I guarantee it!

January 30, 2003
comments: To MatFan:
Just wanted to update you - Braden Shaw from Brooke is now at the 130lb weight class... he finished 1st at OVAc's last weekend.

January 30, 2003
comments: on the coaches polls... 119 i think is way wrong on matt smith from brooke he should be up there because he beat everyone there i think the coaches will be in a suprise on what matt smith will end up doing

January 30, 2003
comments: Region 4 AA/A
1.Judd Billings(Ravens)
2.Bryan Gungle(Cal)
3.Wes Hanson(Hoover)
4.Kenny Sasser(Roane)
1.James Moffat(Win)
2.Pumphrey(Point)
3.Jaron Sampson(Cal)
4.Leithead(Siss)
1.Andrew Cummings(Cal)
2.Perry Ellis(Wah)
3.Ricky Griffin(Roane)
4.Mollahan(Hoover)
1.Justin Ashley(Cal)
2.Stricker(Hoover)
3.McCarty(Point)
4.Coleman Price(Clay)
1.Jason McCoy(Point)
2.Billy Freeland(Roane)
3.David Stutler(Clay)
4.Postalwait(Hoover)
1.Matt Howrylak(Win)
2.Nick Russell(Point)
3.Justin Price(Cal)
4.Brain Bush(Roane)

1.Nick Duncan(Point)
2.Paul Goodrich(Cal)
3.Evan Kendall(Roane)
4.Fisher(Hoover)
1.Eric Metz(Cal)
2.Jesse Nott(Point)
3.Sam Dennis(Ravens)
4.Cavender(Siss)
1.Jeff Morris(Cal)
2.J.R.Morris(Hoover)
3.Bryan Fawley(Web)
4.Joey Adkins(Clay) or 
David Bonecutter (Point)
1.Cory Burgess(Roane)
2.Damon Merola(Cal)
3.Joey Adkins (Clay)
4.Johnny Barton(Wah)
1.Ray Burge(Cal)
2.Jacob Carr(Point)
3.Sam Craddox(Roane)
4.Gillion(Rich)
1.Dwayne Freeland(Roane)
2.Jimmy Hinley(Web)
3.Jacob McCoy(Hoover)
4.Chambers(Ravens)
1.Justin Bishop(Hoover)
2.Tyler Bridgette(Siss)
3.Josh Harris(Web)
4.Tench(Point)
HWT
1.Shirley(Point)
2.Andy Anderson(Hoover)
3.Kyle Meeks(Win)
4.Rocky Swisher(Roane)

January 30, 2003
comments: Yes, you are right miller(wirt) did beat dennis(rav) but like i have said and the pt. wrestler is very good but all wsaz did for dennis is open his eyes, now he knows what he has to work on a he will be more than ready at states! see ya there!!

January 30, 2003
comments: Here are the top two wrestlers in each class of AAA.
103                        145
1 Easter NIT                  1 Hays    NM
2 Hays   PHS                  2 George  PHS
112                        152
1 Shyver   PHS                1 Bliss   BRK
2 Turnbill UNI                2 Lord    HED
119                        160 
1 Radar    PHS                1 Casto   NIT
2 Garvin   MOR                2 Gibbs   CM
125                        171
1 Grogg    PS                1 Mayle    EF
2 Casto    RIP               2 Pickens  PS 
130                        189
1 Easter   NIT                1 Starsick NM
2 Litton   PHS                2 Geary    EF
135                        215
1 Shaw     BRK                1 Thomas   PHS
2 Reynolds JEF                2 Geary    EF
140                        HWT 
1 Smith    RIP                1 Dilworth BU
2 Williamson  PHS             2 Phalen   RIP 

January 30, 2003
comments: Aww man, these two guys were wrestling and this one guy was on the top and then the other guy who was the other guy was winning and then when it was over this over hit this and when he did this and then the other guy put this and then the one guy did this and it was great. wasnt it??? Any comments on this???

January 30, 2003
comments: Region 1 will be the one to watch!! This region will produce top three in each weight class, with just a couple exceptions!! It is the toughest region by far!!

January 30, 2003
comments: The pill was instituted to keep wrestlers from forfeiting in regional matches in order to wrestle a different opponent in the state tournament. The brackets used to be preset each year. Seeding wouldn't work due to "weak" scheduling on the part of some teams. Kids are already getting treated unfairly at various tournaments due to taking losses to tough opponents, while others wrestle weak schedules and receive the higher seed. It's always funny to see our WV coaches seed some kid from out of state 1st or 2nd and then watch him finish 7th or 8th in the tournament. The only problem is that an in state kid gets the tougher draw and doesn't place.

January 30, 2003
comments: Spencer? What are you talking about? Anyway, just to spite you, Point will beat Calhoun by at least 15 in the Regionals, because they will match up in every weight class and Point will once again prevail.

January 30, 2003
so you are telling me that Jordan Flynt from braxton is better than Drew Myers, you must not watch too much wrestling. Joey Lobis is a good wrestler, not every body can win every match, but i will bet any amount of money the score from the flynt vs. myers match is either a major dec. or a pin!!!!!! Hey BUT WILL SEE!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2003
comments: Lobis wasnt state champ last year, derek metz of calhoun was

January 30, 2003
comments: to big south fan, on your top 2 in each weight class. you seeded felix cotto form ps over turnbull from university win turnbull beat him 10-2.not to bright.

January 30, 2003
comments: I keep seeing people write in about all these "great" junior high and middle school kids, I just wanted to say that in some of the cases, we'll see how good they are when they go to the state tournament, some of these kids have NO competition at the local level. Also, some of these kids have matured faster than others and they will see how good they are when they reach high school. People need to remember that some kids mature faster than others and that just because you are good and strong now does not mean you will dominate in high school.

January 30, 2003
comments: here are my predictions for AA, region 2, 135 pound weight class
1. Drew Myers, Frankfort
2. Lobis, Rit. County
3. Flynt, Braxton County
4. Jones, Petersburg (or) Smith, Wirt

YOU BETTER CHECK THOSE AGAIN. FLYNT FROM BRAXTON BEAT LOBIS AT CALHOUN COUNTY. NOW I BELIEVE THAT IS A PRETTY GOOD TASK TO DO SINCE LOBIS WAS A STATE CHAMP LAST YEAR. SO I GUESS WE LL SEE THIS WEEK END ABOUT THE MYERS FLYNT MATCH UP AT THE VIKING SMASH. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH WRESTLERS AND MAY THE BEST MAN WIN. IT SHOULD BE GOOD......

January 30, 2003
comments: good luck to all of the ravenswood wrestlers this weekend and Good luck to everyone from R-wood!!!!!!!

January 30, 2003
comments: i would like to say to whoever is making the predictions at 145 A-AA that Miller(Wirt) pinned Nott(PP)the last time that they wrestled. And also that miller beat Dennis(Rav) 13-1 at the WSAZ tourney.

January 30, 2003
comments: The WSAZ seed 12 wrestlers in each weight. This is 4 more wrestlers than place. The rest are placed by draw.

January 30, 2003
comments: To x-Champ in Texas: I probably did make a few mistakes like Anthony Easter might beat Aaron Kelley or Kyle Turnbull might beat Felix Osunna-Cotta, but my predictions say South will still when the tournament. Because a tournament is a lot different than a dual match.

January 30, 2003
comments: Williamstown Rumble will have:
Williamstown
St. Marys
Calhoun
Columbus Broadmoor
Marietta
Independence
Bishop Donahue
Bridgeport
St. Albans
Hundred

January 30, 2003
comments: Tex, the regionals aren't a dual. They are tournament format. And in the only head-to-head tournament meeting the two schools have had Calhoun won by 63. Anyhow good luck to you. Maybe I'll run into you in Spencer.

January 30, 2003
comments: I have received word that Wyoming West and Gilbert have been added to region 3. Feel free to add them on the AA region map if you are so inclined. Thank You
Editor's note: Yes, I must plead guilty. There are at least four new teams this year, Wyoming West, Gilbert, Bridgeport, and Capitol. Although I'm not 100% sure. And I'm not sure what region Capitol and Bridgeport will be in. It is on my list of things to do to buff this up....

January 30, 2003
comments: It is conceivable that Point could beat Calhoun in the regionals but without a doubt Calhoun will prevail in the State Tournament.

January 30, 2003
comments: the pill is drawn to keep teams from wrestling weak schedules so they would get better seeding

January 30, 2003
Email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
Comments: If any of you are looking for a change of pace from the usual discourse on this forum, you might want to check out the link below. We have a wrestler here at Ohio University who has quite an inspiring story.

http://www.thepost.ohiou.edu/archives3/jan03/012903/sports.html

January 30, 2003
comments: First to the person complaining about WSAZ only seeding top 8. How many tourney's do you think seed past the top 8? Especially a tourney like WSAZ. You can't seed 30 kids! There is no need to seed past 8, in any tournament. For those that don't get seeded it's just more incentive to prove people wrong. To win a tournament or any title, no matter what seed you recieve, your going to have to beat the best kids in the class no matter what round you end up matched up.

To Big South fan, funny how you have 7 kids from south in the top 2 of their class. Don't you think if that was true they'd not be state champs for sure? I'm sorry south, but Runner-up is gonna have to do for this year, i dont see any way you're going to beat PHS.

To Ratteaser, I agree that the State tournament should be seeded. That won't happen though, it's been pills for a long time if not forever. When it comes down to it, the best prepared and talented wrestler is going to be at the top of the podium whether they wrestle their best competition in the semi's or the final's. Personally the semi's is my favorite round. The intensity is so high and there is alot of emotion involved. I was privelaged to win 2 state championships and i wrestled my so called 'best competition'(probably true) in the Semi's both years, which i preferred. Point being take every match as if it were the state finals, I had to settle for 3rd as a frosh, looking ahead i was upset and saw a wrestler I defeated handily in Conference and Regionals take MY crown. Wrestle every match like it's the finals. thanks thats all i have.

January 30, 2003
comments: Shaun Smith from South is at 130....not 135 where south fan has him ranked

January 30, 2003
comments: Rash is an excellent wrestler...I watched him at WSAZ's and he's tough. However, I did notice that Anthony Valles from Weir Madonna wrestled at 103 in the OVAC, so it may not be as cut and dried as people are stating in the forum. Anthony is last years state champ and took 3rd his freshman year. The competition at 103 will be stiff.

January 30, 2003
email: sullivj2@ohio.edu
comments: To Tom: Oops, my bad! I forgot about South having freshmen for one year in 1975! Danny Underwood actually qualified for the state tournament as a freshman for South that year, but I believe he came down with a case of Chicken Pox or something like that which prevented him from competing. Thanks for pointing that out!

January 30, 2003
comments: to Big South fan, your picks are not grounded in reality, and I am a South fan too, do a little research...

January 30, 2003
comments: To Tex and dg I belive that Calhoun and Point Pleasant have come along way very respected programs throughout the years, but for this year I believe Calhoun will win the Region 4 AA/A this year but Point Pleasant will be right behind them. Go luck to both teams!

January 30, 2003
comments: HEY..ONE THING THAT IS VERY UNFAIR..IS THE PILL METHOD OF MATCHING UP WRESTLERS AT THE STATE TOURENY.,..THIS SHOULD AND HAS TO BE A SEEDED TOURNEY..THAT IS WHY WE SEE "FINALS" MATCHES IN THE QUARTERS AND SEMIS..AND LOP SIDED FINALS RESULTS WHEN ONE OF THE BETTER WRESTLERS IS ELIMINATED....COME ON! GET A CLUE!

January 30, 2003
comments: i keep seeing everyone picking pickens over mayle at 171 i dont know if you knwo this but mayle defeated pickens this past weekend at the wsaz and to the people talking about wrestling having nothing to do with a team i'd like to see them make it to states if they didnt have a team. a team pushes individuals to work their hardest so that they will do their best.i know when i wreslted i tried my best so my team could finish at its best. those who said there is a m and an e in team are selfish and will never amount to anything in wrestling cuz they dont appreciate what their teammates go through for them

January 30, 2003
comments: I don't know who runs this site, but I like your sense of humor concerning the mat maids. You have to admit they are a part of wrestling also. Glad to see someone is looking at something besides the rankings. Keep up the good work. I enjoy keeping up on the WV wrestling scene even though I wrestled almost 20 years ago.
Editor's note: There is no doubt that "mat maids" or "mat stats" or "statisticians" are a vital and intergral part of any succesful wrestling program, and these students do often go unrecognized. That is why we recognize team support staff on our annual academic awards program along with the wrestlers. I made some editorial comments on this topic back on November 3, 2000 and, re-reading my comments from then, I still think that there should be some way that we can recognize these students for the fine work that they do.

January 30, 2003
comments: Good Luck to Robert Rash on your quest to win the states as a freshman.. He is the first Freshman ever on INDYS team and what a great acompishment it would be to win the state title. His brother David Rash Was a STATE CHAMP at 103 in 95, and runner-up at 119 in 96, Robert comes from a good wrestling background. He looks like a 4x state champ to me.

INDEPENDENCE'S Wrestling page has been updated with all previous state placewinners. Take a Look!!!!!!

January 30, 2003
comments: Congrats to PARK JR on winning the Raleigh County Championship over Indy who was 2nd and Shady 3rd

January 30, 2003
comments: To the person asking about Oak Glen at the OVAC tournament...They had a VERY good first night as everyone on their team picked up wins in the first round. Two of OGs unseeded wrestlers had to wrestle against seeded kids in the first round, and they both picked up the upset. They had 11 overall place winners which is outstanding for this tournament, but what kept them from winning the tournament is the lack of individual champions. I don't believe OG or any other team in the conference has EVER accomplished anything like this before. OG had 9 placewinners last year I believe. With that many placers in the OVAC tournament, I think that they will have at least 12, possibly more, placing at the State Tournament. And if that happens, then I think they will be VERY tough to beat considering that they have a VERY good chance of having anywhere from 3-7 STATE CHAMPIONS...Brooke also should be gaining respect...They may be the dark horse at the state tournament and WILL sneak up on some teams. They are very tough this year and they want it more than anything....They beat OG at 2 different tournament this year....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

January 30, 2003
comments: I am just wandering how people come up with Middle School rankings, I am not sure how! The reason I ask is because these people have to be BLIND!!! I was scrolling through the list and I saw Braxton County and Tyler Consolidated Middle Schools not even in the top 15 or 20. I was there when a lot of these teams compeated in a huge Duals tournament held I believe at Tyler Consolidated. Out of the 16 teams there 13 of them are ranked somewhat on this middle school rankings page. But I saw it with my own eyes Braxton took 4th overall and Tyler took 6th over all. Braxton beat Cameron the Tyler Consolidated while Tyler Consolidated beat Buckhannon Upshur, Spencer, and Mannington. And that means that both these teams finished ahead of those three teams mentioned as well as Miller, Clay County, and Williamstown, all of which are ranked ahead of those two teams. SOMEONE IS NOT GETTING THE PICTURE HERE!!!!!! If we are going to rank these boys for there hard work then research before you go voting on who you know and who is always at the top. I have been watching these two teams (Tyler Braxton) and they are great teams that need to be recognized!! Just thought I would pass it along!!

January 30, 2003
comments: Well, good luck to all the wreslters and Good job at WSAZ's. Everyone showed very good sportsmanship and all the wrestlers showed their dedication and determination to the sport. Good luck at states to:
Andrew Cummings
Matt Dye
Tyler Wilson
Josh Evans
Jay Thomas
Zach Evans
Justin Boyden (glad your back)
Brandon Dye
Sean Meade
Seth Phalin
Mitch Smith
Codie Gustines
Well, thats pretty much all. Good luck to the rest of the wreslters too! peace yall!

January 30, 2003
comments: According to this article in the Morgan Messanger Brandon Clark was lost for the year, so why was he ranked number 1 in AA at 119?

January 30, 2003
comments: everyone talks about the wrestling teams but do not say anything about the matt maids!!!! WHO has the hottest mattmaid????
Editor's note: No, no, no, we are not going to go there.....

January 30, 2003
comments: Does anyone have predictions for Region III for AAA ?

January 30, 2003
comments: hi all... i recently competed in WSAZ invitational and wrestled the top seed man. now, not to complain but, i heard speculations, that they only seeded the top 8 and drew the rest out of a hat(or something to that extent). now i personally do not think its fair, but not all in life is fair..but, is it true that that is how they seeded they tourney, if so, maybe something needs done to change it. think so? i do. if that be the case if not, then fine. but if it is then it should be change, why? well, it would give other wrestlers an experience, and or a place in the tournment. this coming from a wv state runner up, and many other accomplishments, after not placing in any tournements for 3 years straight. so if someone could get back to me w/ that id greatly appreciate it. thanks.

January 30, 2003
comments: Point already beat Calhoun in a dual's match...there's your 63 points

January 30, 2003
comments: I think that Danny Lord and Phil Bliss are at a different level than everyone else in AAA 152.

January 30, 2003
comments: There is no "I" in TEAM....but there is an "M" and an "E"..which, last time i checked, spells ME!

January 30, 2003
comments: here are the top two wrestlers from every weight class of AAA

1 Aaron Kelley
2 Anthony Easter
1 Robert Shyver
2 Felix Osuna-Cotta
1 Brandon Radar
2 Jared Garvin
1 Shane Grogg
2 Josh Casto
1 Anthony Easter
2 Chance Litton
1 Shaun Smith
2 Josh Evans
I would pick Knapp but hes 
out and might not wrestle 
again this year
1 Mitch Smith
2 Codie Gustines
1 Daran Hays 
2 Seth Young
1 Cody Norman
2 Danny Lord
1 Kyle Walters
2 Chris Gibbs
1 Bryce Pickens
2 Blane Mayle
1 Andrew Starsick
2 Ben Geary
1 Lou Thomas
2 Brandon Geary
1 John Dilworth
2 Ryan Dearman

January 30, 2003
comments: These jr high rankings are a joke. How can you rank Edison in front of Shady who just beat them at the wsaz. Shady did not even have a full team (missing 4 weight classes) and still beat Edison. Pound for pound Shady had as good of team there as anybody. If both of their number one seeded boys would have won instead of being upsetted (which happens in life)They could have won the whole tournament. I am not thinking we are great but we are better than you think.But of course the nod always goes to the Parkersburg teams.But do not feel sorry for us for the fact is the South will rise again and sooner than you might think!!!

January 29, 2003
comments: Watching some of these Toun: results , i keep seeing some other names popping up, like T.J. Richards from Riverside, and Lowry, and Kinser from Riverside. Richards won Braxton, and has beaten E.Fairmont, and Greenbrier East and West 275 ' s this year and lost to Riply's ( Phalen ) in double OT . But i see no one even thinking of him in any of your poll's.
Lowry finished one at Braxton, and lost to Duncan in one heck of a match at nitro in the semis- 4-2, he was the kid that was wrestling Duncan when he got hurt. (140 )
Kinser at 125 will give people some problems he just keeps placing in these tourn: and i see all these polls and not even a mention, Beleive me i bet the other coach's know but are keeping quiet.
States will be here before long , we will see.

January 29, 2003
comments: what teams will be at the williamstown rumble?

January 29, 2003
comments: Billings will show you a hole nother type of wrestler come states i hope yuo are ready.

January 29, 2003
comments: In matlines Jenny Sullivan says that Parkersburg South never had freshman before, this is incorrect since they had them for one year in 1975

January 29, 2003
comments: To:The person that corrected Yosemite Sam I think it will be a toss-up between Lord, Bliss, and Norman at 152#. Evans and Myers wrestled each other at the WSAZ and they each had one win and one loss. Norman beat Myers 13-0 at WSAZ. I don't think Evans or Myers should even be considered to be seated above Norman. Again, I think the top three could be a toss-up come the States. That's still another 3-4 weeks away.

January 29, 2003
comments: To Trap Hill Middle School Wrestling team, congratulations!!!!! You made us proud

To Nick Hylton of Trap Hill Middle School, Your still our #1 wrestler. We are proud of you!

To Russell Bailey of Trap Hill Middle School, we are glad your feeling better and back on the mat. We are proud of your second place finish in the Counties

January 29, 2003
comments: Could someone please tell me what is WHITEY`S WRESTLER OF THE WEEK.

January 29, 2003
comments: To Tex: I have got to find a way to get to the AA-A Region 4 tournament to see where Point Pleasant picked up the 63 points it finished behind Calhoun at the Nitro Invitational.

January 29, 2003
here are my predictions for AA, region 2, 135 pound weight class
1. Drew Myers, Frankfort
2. Lobis, Rit. County
3. Flynt, Braxton County
4. Jones, Petersburg (or) Smith, Wirt

January 29, 2003
comments: Mitch Smith wrestled Williamson from PHS in the state finals last year, not Williams from Hunt. Mitch's older brother matt is the one who wrestled robbie williams

January 29, 2003
comments: The kid that beat Mitch Smith from Riverside, Ohio also beat his older brother Matt last year, but Mitch should have another opportunity against him next year, Eric is only a Junior this year.

January 29, 2003
comments: There is no doubt in my mind that Rash will win states at 103 as a freshmen.He defeated Billings 26-12. He took him down and let him up.

January 29, 2003
comments: Yes their is no "I" in team, but their is an "I" in Win!!!!!Since when was wrestling a team sport??????? There isn't a whole lot a team can do for when your out there on the mat with someone who is faster, stronger and better wrestler than you!!! No disrespect-- just a thought!!!!

January 29, 2003
comments: any one have any predictions on the top 4 in AA out of region 1/2/3 ????? i would like to see ever AA region have some predictions out for each weight class.....thank you

January 29, 2003
comments: well i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how pathetic their opinion my be. however, instead of writing the frist thing that pops into your mind, give things some thought. just becouse heavyweights arn't as fast as lightweights doesn't make them any less wrestler than any one else. they have just as much tallent. " Just a thought"

January 29, 2003
comments:
Preditions AAA
1. Anthony Easter, Nitro
2. Jake Hays, Parkersburg High
3. Aaron Kelly, Parkersburg South
4. Jarrod Shaw, Brooke
5. Abbie Rush, Wheeling Park
6. Chris Greynolds, East Fairmont	

1. Robert Shyver, Parkersburg High
2. Kyle Turnbull, University
3. Lucas Cappas, Morgantown
4. Kurt Shumate, North Marion
5.  Felix Osuna Cotto, Parkersburg South
6. Steve Riner, Huntington	

1. Brandon Rader, Parkersburg High
2. Jared Garvin, Morgantown
3. Brian Humphrey, Wheeling Park 
4. Justin Lodge, North Marion
5. Robert Conner, Martinsburg      
6. Jon Smith, Jefferson

1. Shane Grogg, Parkersburg South
2. Josh Casto, Ripley
3. Jonathan McFarland, Brooke
4. Chris Conner, Martinsburg
5. Micah Gerasimovich, Morgantown
6. Casey Ice, Parkersburg High	

1. Matt Easter, Nitro 
2. Chance Litton, Parkersburg High
3. Darrell Dorsey, Jefferson
4. Kyle Mull, John Marshall 
5. Mike Durbin, Brooke
6. Dane Henry, Martinsburg	

1. Derrick Knapp, Parkersburg High      
2. Steve Reynolds, Jefferson 
3. Braden Shaw, Brooke
4. John Evans, Nitro
5. David Campbell, University
6. Jason Koontz, John Marshall

1. Mitch Smith, Ripley
2. Codie Gustines, Jefferson
3. Brian Williamson, Parkersburg High
4. Dave Durbin, Brooke
5. Sean Smith, Parkersburg South
6. Shawn Moore, East Fairmont 	

1. Daran Hays, North Marion
2. Michael George, Parkersburg High
3. Seth Young, Parkersburg South
4. Dana Davis, Brooke
5. Justin Hawes, Jefferson
6. Dustin Richey, John Marshall	

1. Danny Lord, Hedgesville
2. Phil Bliss, Brooke
3. Codi Norman, Parkersburg South 
4. Isaac Myers, Huntington
5. John Rexrode, Bucknannon Uphsur
6. Josh Evans, Woodrow Wilson

1. Mitch Casto, Nitro
2. Chris Gibbs, Cabell Midland
3. Kyle Walters, Parkersburg South
4. Joey Lindamood, Parkersburg High
5. Derrick Young, Hedgesville
6. Brandon Keiper, Nicholas County	

1. Bryce Pickens, Parkersburg South
2. Blane Mayle, East Fairmont
3. J. W. Dowler, Parkersburg High
4. Steve Sayre, Ripley
5. David Coon, University
6. Brad Ammons, Hedgesville	

1. Andrew Starsick, North Marion
2. Ben Geary, East Fairmont
3. Ray Linger, Elkins
4. Cody Tominack, Wheeling Park
5. Josh Ewing, John Marshall
6. James Nelson, Huntington

1. Lou Thomas, Parkersburg High
2. Brandon Geary, East Fairmont
3. Bud Hercules, Wheeling Park
4. Adam Casto, Ripley
5. Kenny Hutchinson, Huntington
6. Wes Young, Parkersburg South	

1. John Dilworth, Buckhannon
2. Ryan Dearman, Parkersburg High
3. Ty Phalen, Ripley
4. Ryan Bird, Martinsbug
5. Patrick Burns, Greenbrier East
6. Jesse Valentine, East Fairmont 	

January 29, 2003
comments: My comments are for the Region IV, AA predictions. I see Point Pleasant actually taking that. The rest of your picks are pretty good. I would bump a few people around though. One of which would be the 215 weight class. I don't have Tench that low. I actually had him winning it, until his loss at Nitro to the Sissonville boy. However, from what I hear it was a great match and those two will not disappoint next time. Most of the other weight classes look good.

January 29, 2003
comments: Congratulations to PHS on their 31st Ranking. Great Job Boys!!!! I hear both PHS & South will be back to full strength by the regionals. This will be one to watch, but I think PHS will run away with it.

January 29, 2003
comments: To BlueWavesMom: thanks for the info... my bad... revised 130 & 135
1. Matt Easter, Nitro Jr
2. Chance Litton, Parkersburg High
3. Braden Shaw, Brooke
4. Shaun Smith, Parkersburg South
5. Darrell Dorsey, Jefferson
6. Kyle Mull, John Marshall

1. Derrick Knapp, Parkersburg High
2. Steve Reynolds, Jefferson
3. John Evans, Nitro
4. Mike Durbin, Brooke
5. David Campbell, University
6. Jason Koontz, John Marshall

As for Evans(WW) at 152 yes he is a tough wrestler, I just see it as this: Myers has beaten him 2 of 3, granted he won the last by 5 but Coach Archer will have him ready at the end of the season. As for Gustines I know for a fact that he did not wrestle to his capability at Winners Choice (everyone has a bad tournament and that one was his). And to put Evans above Norman at this point is ludacris. Cornicelli and Evans are as evenly matched as anyone in this weight class, 2-1 Winners Choice. I think 152 will be interesting when it's all unfolded come March 1.

January 28, 2003
comments: From ChappyFan&MOM CONGRADULATIONS Adam S.(CHAPPY) Chapman on your victory over Warner in the Jr. High,Middle school 145lb FINALS at WSAZ. We are so PROUD to be able to call you a WSAZ CHAMPION and GREAT SPORTSMAN. Revinge is so sweet when you can take a WSAZ championship and redeem your only loss this season. GOOD LUCK in the Cabell County tourny this Saturday. We hope you can add a County Championship to your Middle School accomplishments.

January 28, 2003
comments: check out www.wrestlingpic.com

January 28, 2003
comments: I'm not sure of his number of wins but John Dilworth from Bucchannon Upsher can be added to the list of undefeated wrestlers.

January 28, 2003
comments: I have seen many 215 AAA predictions. It seems to me everyone has overlooked Lucus from Spring Valley. He looked very impressive a WSAZ's placing third. In doing so he avenged a loss to Hutchinson suffered earlier in the day and won by pin over Justin Bishop.

January 28, 2003
comments: update the page you lazy ass

January 28, 2003
comments: I think that the heavyweight weight class is highly diluted talent wise because of 215. What is your opinion. I think the 152 placers could beat the heavyweights!!! Just a thought that crossed my mind.

January 28, 2003
comments: PHS COMBINES GREAT KIDS WITH A GREAT STAFF AND PRODUCES!..
http://www.amateurwrestlingnews.com/rankings/prep40.htm!
WAY TO WRESTLE KIDS AND GREAT SCHEDULE AND COACHING..NOW PRESS ON TO HUNTINGTON!

January 28, 2003
comments: I think that Josh Neal beat Felix Osuna-Cotto In the 112lbs finals at WSAZ's.He was not stalling he was trying to back out of the double underhook's and he was still shooting when he was called for stalling.He would have beat felix any other day of the week but he had 1 overtime match before that.

January 28, 2003
Kijk en word lid van
http://groups.msn.com/OlympischeWorstelen
Dit is een nieuwe groep van het worstelen waar straks veel informatie op komt.

January 28, 2003
comments: I commend Chris Neptune and his fine staff of coaches at Miller Junior High. The team has looked good all year. Throughout the season I have noticed that Nick Hedrick {2x WV champ, 4x WV place winner} and Jonathan Delligatti {2x WV runner up, 4x wv place winner} have been regular fixtures by the mat for Miller. I believe that Mike Viani {2x WV champ, 4x wv place winner} has been spotted as of late as well. Man! That coaching crew, with their experience and success outranks any other Jr. High or Middle School around. Add those three together with Neptune {4x WV place winner, D-1 collge varsity wrestler at Clarion University} I would think twice before mesing with them! As for the team: Joey Viani, Drew Retton, and Thomas Long have been developing nicely. Those three have been standouts from my viewpoint. Coach Neptune, is it true that Retton is only a 2nd year wrestler? Could have fooled me................
Switching gears to Mannington, I would like to see Hinerman reurn to action for the end of the season, I enjoy watching him wrestle. I know that he would beat Easter at 125. Thank you. {I hope to see all of the county teams at the Conference tournament. Good luck to all.

January 28, 2003
comments: In regards to getting pinned and tapping out, I saw a boy that was winning 5-0 get taken down and put on his back and was very close to getting pinned and tapped out. The ref gave the other boy 4 back points making the score 5-6. the one boy gets an escape, the match goes in double overtime and the boy who tapped out wins. If he was that hurt how can he come back to hang on and win the match in double overtime? Sneaky and Unethical??? Why would any boy who gets caught and put on their back when they were winning not try to tap out. At least they have a chance to come back instead of getting pinned. I believe the penalty should be more also to make it harder to catch up!! Sneaky? yes Unethical? definitely. Lose with dignity, don't win by cheating!!

January 28, 2003
comments: Congratulations to the folks running the Wheeling Civic Center Youth Tourny. Thanks for giving the kids a quality place to wrestle. Well run also.

January 28, 2003
comments: Region IV, Class AA-A predictions?
Yes. Calhoun will win the team title with 4-6 champions. Point Pleasant will probably finish second with either Herbert Hoover or Roane County third. The other should take fourth. The rest of the field will be a ways back. Too brief? Too blunt? I hope not. Just being candid.

January 28, 2003
comments: Region 4 AA/A
1.Judd Billings(Ravens)
2.Bryan Gungle(Cal)
3.Kenny Sasser(Roane)
4.Wes Hanson(Hoover)
1.James Moffat(Win)
2.Pumphrey(Point)
3.Jaron Sampson(Cal)
4.Leithead(Siss)
1.Andrew Cummings(Cal)
2.Mollahan(Hoover)
3.Perry Ellis(Wah)
4.Ricky Griffin(Roane)
1.Justin Ashley(Cal)
2.McCarty(Point)
3.Stricker(Hoover)
4.Coleman Price(Clay)
1.Jason McCoy(Point)
2.Billy Freeland(Roane)
3.David Stutler(Clay)
4.Postalwait(Hoover)
1.Matt Howrylak(Win)
2.Nick Russell(Point)
3.Justin Price(Cal)
4.Brain Bush(Roane)
1.Nick Duncan(Point)
2.Paul Goodrich(Cal)
3.Evan Kendall(Roane)
4.Fisher(Hoover)
1.Eric Metz(Cal)
2.Jesse Nott(Point)
3.Sam Dennis(Ravens)
4.Cavender(Siss)
1.Jeff Morris(Cal)
2.Bryan Fawley(Web)
3.J.R.Morris(Hoover)
4.David Bonecutter(Point)
1.Cory Burgess(Roane)
2.Joey Adkins(Clay)
3.Damon Merola(Cal)
4.Johnny Barton(Wah)
1.Ray Burge(Cal)
2.Jacob Carr(Point)
3.Sam Craddox(Roane)
4.Gillion(Rich)
1.Dwayne Freeland(Roane)
2.Jacob McCoy(Hoover)
3.Jimmy Hinley(Web)
4.Chambers(Ravens)
1.Tyler Bridgette(Siss)
2.Justin Bishop(Hoover)
3.Josh Harris(Web)
4.Tench(Point)
HWT
1.Andy Anderson(Hoover)
2.Shirley(Point)
3.Kyle Meeks(Win)
4.Rocky Swisher(Roane)

January 28, 2003
comments: great job big reds on your 31st team ranking in the country

January 28, 2003
comments: would someone please post a form for WV Junior State Tournament in March?

January 28, 2003
comments: To WV MATMAN You haven't watched many AAA 119/125 matches.

January 28, 2003
comments: To: Brett Sams
I have to admit that I have lost some faith in your reporting of the facts. Reguarding the 105 finals at the WSAZ - First, as not to cause hard feeling, let me take the opportunity to state that in no way do I have any doubts that Shaffer is not a good wrestler. Secondly, you stated that Shaffer was fighting 100 degree plus temperature - glad to hear that, Brandon was also ill but still able to compete. This was an awsome match against two undeafeated 105 pounders. Brandon happened to win this match, maybe they will meet again in the State. Also, it wasn't a disco, it is called motion. They were worthy opponants and I feel that your comments have taken away from the match.
Editor's note: I looked at Brent's report and it looked fine to me. But, since you have a complaint about this website, it will be reported.....

January 28, 2003
comments: This week's "Whitey's Wrestler of The Week" is Nick Duncan of Point Pleasant. After proving to be one of the best competitors in-state to challenge freshman phenom Mitch Smith last year at AAA, Nick (and team) have dropped to AA/A, much to the chagrine of AA/A opponents. On top of his many great battles with Smith this year, Nick recently took 1st place at the WSAZ tournament at 140, and he did it with style! Congratulations to Nick Duncan of Point Pleasant!

January 28, 2003
i was wondering does anyone know what time the Petersburg Viking Smash Starts on Friday and Saturday?

January 28, 2003
comments: To the person who posted about the closed practices and Coaches not accepting help. I have coached at all levels and have seen it all. I think that parents (who aren't coaches or involved with the program) in the practice room in general is probably not a great idea. But that said a parent should be able to walk into the practice room to see how things are going. Locked doors aren't a good idea liability wise or public relations wise. As for not accepting help or having enough coaches to give personal attention to individual wrestlers, I can't understand any coach not wanting as many good people around him as possible. Nitro, Huntington, Parkersburg and Parkersburg South are just a few examples of progams who have been built on having as many knowledgible people in the wrestling room as possible. These people include, wrestling alumni from the school, parents who are knowledgible, wrestlers in the community who want to be involved with the sport (all it takes is the coach to get them approved by the school board as a volunteer assistant) and yes, teachers in the school system who are paid to coach. I find it difficult to believe that one coach in the practice room can possibly help or correct problems with anymore than 6 to 8 wrestlers in the room. At tournaments sometimes you may have more than 1 wrestler on the mat at the same time. While 4 on the mat is a rare occurance, any team should be able to have coaches (not wrestlers or mat maids) in the corner of 2 or possibly 3 mats at a time. To not be able to do this throws off your kids who have mentally prepared and warmed up. They should not have to stand and wait for a coach while their match is pushed back. It also is unfair to the other wrestler who's team is prepared with enough coaches to do the job. Another question that arises is, what if the coach by some odd chance should get thrown out of an event ? Do you tell the boys to load up we've got to go home ? In the end I believe that the best programs are the ones where the Head Coach surrounds himself with as many good people as he can find and doesn't concern himself with who gets the credit for the teams success. He will shine as a result of his unselfishness. Remember coach, there is no "I" in TEAM !

January 28, 2003
comments: To South Fan: The OW at the Mussleman Inv. was Stevie Reynolds (135) of Jefferson.

To Eastern Panhandle Watcher: I have seen each one of the three top wrestlers at 152 this year; Lord, Bliss, and Norman. And I just want to tell tou all that I warned you about Phil Bliss. His only loss this year was to #16 Taylor Letters of Shaler Area, Pa. It was a hard fought 6-2 battle. Not to take anything away from the other two wrestlers, but I can definetly see Bliss at the top of the podium come March 1.

To WV Mat Man: I want to agree with you in the fact that the Easter's are the most physical and intense wrestlers in the state. Matt will be a four time state champion (no one in his league)as well as Outstanding Wrestler, hands down. To say that Seth would give Grogg a run for his money and that he'd probably win 119 this year is a little far fetched.

To the person wondering what teams did not go to the WSAZ's this past weekend; I believe that the only team (high school) to scratch was Buckhannon Upshur.

January 28, 2003
comments: I here everyone talking about Phelix asuta-cotto but you never here anything about Josh Neal.I think had he not had an overtime match before his finals matchh that he would have beat cotto.There is no doubt in my mind.

January 28, 2003
comments: I think Brooke should get more recognition and respect. These kids are going to make some noise at the state tournament!

January 28, 2003
comments: Robert Rash, Bryan Snuffer, and Brian Mills are going to show a lot of people at states. Anyhow, Indy will more than likely be the underdogs in states, but i'm sure their hard-work is gonna drop a lot of jaws. Bryan Snuffer may have had a set back, but look for him to make a comeback. In AAA...Woodrow has many contenders. Sean Meade is young, but is still a great wrestler. Jay Thomas, Zack Evans, Tyler Wilson, Joe McQuillen, Justin Boyden should do well, and Josh Evans is a contender. Good Luck to Indy and Woody
All these guys work hard

January 28, 2003
comments: I want to congratulate Shaun Smith on his performance at the WSAZ's. Even though you lost to Matt Easter, you showed the upmost good sportsmanship in your match. It is just as important to be a good sport as being at good winner.

January 28, 2003
comments: Eric Lakia, the kid who beat Mitch Smith, finished 5th in the state at 130lbs in div.I in ohio last year.

January 28, 2003
comments: What happen to Matt deligatti from west? He could have won hwt, but where is he???

January 28, 2003
comments: Saw that Walters PS defaulted three matches at WSAZ. Is he okay?

January 28, 2003
comments: when you made your predictions they look pretty good except for 152 where EVANS from woodrow wilson has beaten 3 of your top 6 wrestlers.... myers, gustines, and cornecelli.

January 28, 2003
comments: What ever became of Talon? I always enjoyed reading what she had to say.

January 28, 2003
comments: KEVIN EAW HAS DROPPED TO 145 he is not 152......thank you

January 28, 2003
comments: My Perdictions for 189 are:
1.Efaw
2.clark
3.Mccoy
4.Ward
5.Tincher
As you can see 189 is pretty well stacked with good wrestlers, States will be interesting to watch.

January 28, 2003
comments: I was told at a recent tournament that the persons in charge of the Parkersburg Youth State tournament are thinking of changing to more realistic wt. classes rather than using lock-step 5 lb. increments. I think that is a great idea. I looked up the average weights (50th percentile) of each age group and they are as follows--6 year olds-48lb; 8 year olds-58lbs; 10 year olds-69 lbs;12 year olds-87 lbs; 15 year olds-123lbs. Starting with a weight class at the average wt. and then working out in 2 lb then 4lb then 6 lb increments-- as you move out further from the mean you have less wrestlers-- until you have 10 classes gives you the following wt classes for the 9-10 bracket for instance: 49-55-61-67-69-71-73-77-83-89&up. This puts MORE wt classes nearer to each age group average and less as you move away from the norm. WHY should the average 70 lb kid have to win a 26 kid bracket to be a state champ while the lighter kid or heavy wt. is a state champ with only 4 kids in the bracket? This would really balance things out and be fairer for the kids in the average wts. where most of the wrestlers are. It also fights against anyone pulling 5 lbs to get down to the next bracket. The one change would be to add an additional wt class at the lower weights in deference to the fact that the 10 year old group has about 30% 9 year olds and the average wt of a 9 year old is 63 lbs. YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE.
P.S. Does anyone have the e-mail address for the Wood Co. Rec. Bd.? thanks.

January 28, 2003
comments: who all placed from oak glen at OVAC. i saw they had a really good first night. if they did good at ovac's then they should do really good at states.

January 28, 2003
comments: looks like this year we might see south get knocked off their throne.
1-Parkersburg-I see them winning and it might not even be close
2-South-Could give PHS a run for their money but I dont think they can get it done
3-East Fairmont-best team they've ever had they just need a few more lighter guys to step up before they have a shot at the title
4-Huntington-Strong performance last weekend could finish as high as 2 or 3
5-Ripley-They will send alot of guys to states its just a matter of how many of them do well

January 28, 2003
comments: Congrats go to Corey Kyle of Keyser for breaking the all time win record. Also want to give props to all the wrestlers from Keyser that placed at the Musselman tourney. Good luck the rest of the year. See you at regionals and states.

January 28, 2003
comments: Just wanted to update Yosemite on his predictions. Braden Shaw from Brooke has dropped to the 130lb class and took 1st at OVAC's this weekend. Mike Durbin will be at 135 lb for Brooke.

January 28, 2003
comments: To HHS
Just to be fair about the match between Duncan and Ray at WSAZ, Ray may have had a hurt back, but Duncan was wrestling with a ORBITAL(blowout) Fracture. So let`s let it go at that, as they both have 1 win over each other.

January 28, 2003
comments: If your school didn't get to go to this years WSAZ because of this years weather then you should just cross it off your list to ever go because this years weather was mild.

January 28, 2003
comments: FYI: Steve Reynolds was the MOW of the Musselman Inv., not D.Lord. The Musselman Inv. finals were some the most exciting finals I have seen in a long time (usually the semi's are the most exciting) with 3-4 matches going into overtime and many last second victories! The 130 final between Dorsey (Jeff) and Marshall (univ.) was especially exciting, its amazing that Marshall is only a second yr. wrestler!

January 28, 2003
comments: I belive it was a fluke that Mitch Smith got beat, Lakia finished 2nd in last years WSAZ behind Williams of Huntington and Smith dominated Williams in the state finals, I bet Mitch Would like to have that one over. Its sad to see I truley thought he would be the 1st ever to go undeafeated through high School, Anybody got any opionons on who might be able to do it.
MY guess is SETH EASTER

January 28, 2003
comments: I noticed Gilbert High School had a wrestling team at WSAZ this weekend. When did they get a team?

January 28, 2003
comments: I heard Calhoun will be at the Williamstown tournament this weekend is that true??

January 28, 2003
comments: Correction to Yosemite Sam on the 152lb. predictions.
I understand you placing Phil Bliss and Danny Lord at the top. But did no one see what I saw at the WSAZ's? Josh Evans beat Isaac Myers 5-0 for 3rd place. They have had many good matches before but I believe Evans is the better wrestler. He also beat Corie Gustines at Winner's Choice in Fairmont. He also wrestled Danny Lord at the Winner's Choice. Though he did loose to Lord he hung in there. And I think he deserves to be at the top. But we'll see what happens at states. So here's my predictions..
152 lb.
1. Danny Lord (Hedgesville)
2. Phil Bliss (Brooke)
3. Josh Evans (Beckley Woodrow Wilson)
4. Codi Norman (Parkersburgh South)
5. Corie Guistines (Jefferson)
6. Billy Cornecelli (Parkersburg)
7. Issac Myers (Huntington)

January 28, 2003
comments: Just wanted to say congrads to the 4 Elkview Middle School Wrestlers that placed at the State Tournament at Huntington....Josh Evans, Josh Morris, Jonathan Shaffer and Cody Moore.

Congrads to Josh Evans for the surprise PIN against Chris Cook from Pt. Pleasant. Keep up the good work.

Good Luck Elkview Middle School in the Kanawha County Tournament..... GO ELKHERD.

January 28, 2003
comments: Robert Rash of INDY will win the state title at 103 AA as a freshman, great preformance at WSAZ he dominated Billings in the semis he took him down 14 times and 7 of those was in the first period. He found that although he is a great wrestler, just how much that Anthony Easter is just on another level, as he lost 11-3, nice 2nd place finish.

January 28, 2003
comments: In order here are what i believe are the toughest weight classes in AA this year......

AA
#1 152
1. Boseley - beat morris
2. Morris - only lose in this class is to boseley
3. Wharton - dark horse
4. Tracewell - 2nd winner's choice - 2nd WSAZ
5. Hughes - former state champ, needs to get into form.

OHHH MY 6th ?????????
6. Hashman/JR Morris/Boone/Efaw/Bonecutter/Fawley????? - Who knows on this one??? Luck of the draw and whoever comes to wrestle.....Hashman pins jr morris (:58) but loses to Bonecutter by fall......bonecutter loses to jr morris by fall???? GO figure??.......Efaw is strong but off and on.......Fawley same way......Boone wrestles smart but has some real work to do..... TOSS UP!!!!

AA
#2 130
1. Scarbro - still #1
2. Mills - even though a loss to McCoy got to put him #2
3. J. McCoy - the real dark horse in this class, could win it all
4. Dimarco - will pull out 4th.
5. T. Mccoy - maybe 4th, depends on the draw.
6. Mahan - young but will place.

AA
#3 140
1. Duncan - top dog
2. Elder - beat dye 7-4
3. Dye - could win it all......THE DRAW???
4. Whittington - Dark Horse.
5. Goodrich - tough young wrestler
6. Moore - 5th at winners choice

AA
#4 135
1.Myers - Great Wrestler
2.Howrylak - 2nd WSAZ
3.Lobis - wrestlers well at states
4.Russell - could place higher or lower???
5.Chapmen - i like him to place 5th or higher.
6.McIntosh - DARK HORSE

AA
#5 112
1.Valles - STATE CHAMP
2.Neal - good match vs. Cotto
3.Morris - DARK HORSE
4.Gonneau - good wrestler...>OAK GLEN
5.Snowburger - could go lower??
6.Pumphery - good YOUNG wrestler

AA
#6 171
1.Smith - win it all this year
2.Lauderman - DARK HORSE
3.Burge - will lose to smith in th semi's ??? MAYBE
4.Moore - 4th is the highest, maybe lower
5.Carico - needs to wrestle smart.
6.Miller - could go higher if he wresltes like he use to???

#7 - 145
#8 - 125
#9 - 103
#10 - 215
#11 - 189
#12 - 119
#13 - 160
#14 - 275.............THAT IS JUST MY GUESS AND OPIONIONS...THATS IT......THAT YOU sWaMi

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page