West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- January 1999 Forum (Part Six)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

January 31, 1999
email: wv_wrestler@yahoo.com
comments: I look at the rankings and wonder, where did they come up with these results? Could someone please tell me why everyone complains about them and then makes equally bad polls with their favorite wrestlers on the top. I would also like to know exactly who votes on the coaches polls; they are not the best, but then again mine would not be much better.

January 31, 1999
comments: I had a chance to wrestle Anthony Regalbuto this weekend at CVAL's. I think he is in a class of his own and is unstoppable, He is definitely the best wrestler I have ever seen and should win a state title this year.

January 31, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Jim Shetler from Hedgesville for winning his 100th career match Saturday at the CVAL championships.

January 31, 1999
email: smc_coach@hotmail.com
comments: Thanks to everyone who attended our youth tournament on Saturday. It was a huge success. It ran very smoothly and the competiton was outstanding. Some of the best youth wrestlers in the country were competing. It was a joy to watch. Congratulations to the Parkersburg Patriots on winning the team championship with the Parkersburg Cougars and Pleasants Co. Pioneers placing in second and third respectively. Great job!!

January 31, 1999
Nicholas Hedrick from Fairmont Senior High School, now holds the Marion County all-time career win record at 151 wins. He broke this Friday evening. His career record now stands at 151 wins and 22- losses and remains undefeated this season with a record of 32-0. Congratualtions Nicholas!!!!

January 31, 1999
comments: To Wrestling Fan - Regionals
In theory, your percentages of wrestlers taken to States based upon number of teams in region is a good one. But in reality, past history has proven that it is harder to place fourth in Region 1 then it is to place second or third in other regions. How else do you explain three to four wrestlers from Region 1 placing in the top six at States year-in and year-out. Though Region 1 only has seven teams, they are receptive to other teams joining. But when the tough gets going, teams would rather wrestle in other regions than Region 1. North Marion and Fairmont Sr. are good geographically located for Region 1 as well as Ripley and Point Pleasent. Regional Host sites are rotated from year to year, but why isn't the State? Those home court advantages also happen at the State Tournament. Why doesn't the State rotate like the regional hosts does?

January 31, 1999
Where was Moats in the CVAL tournament?
Where is Jim Johnson of Calhoun?

January 31, 1999
comments: I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT BRAXTON'S TONY HARDWAY IS A REALLY GOOD WRESTLER AND THAT HIS NAME ISN'T HARDAWAY IT IS HARDWAY.THANK YOU.

January 31, 1999
Editor's note: Last week we set a new record for hits to this website, with 6,780 hits to the front page, and 39,322 total hits to all the documents on this site. That tells me that we had 6,780 visitors to the website last week, and each visitor looked at 5 or 6 different pages on the website. The old record was 5,191/36,622 during the State Tournament week last year. Wonder where we will peak at this season.....

January 31, 1999
comments: I have heard rumors that Braxton will be at the Sissonsvile tournament , Does anyone know for sure if they will or not? I only have one question. Why would they want to go to that big of a tournament right before Regionals, and risk getting someone hurt?

January 31, 1999
comments: comments on the petersburg smash:
I feel that the smash went very smoothly. We had alot of good matches, such as Richards and Hardaway, and many more. Here are my comments on each class
103: Auvil will have no problem winning this region
112: Tommy Stiles won it easy but expect to see a little bit tougher of a match from braxtons culvington
119: Harris looked impressive, his main challenge was from Leach of grafton. I expect to see Reed wrestling better and in the finals though
125: Jenkins from Lib Harrison looks great. he is getting no respect at all. looked as if cruised through his match with sean junkins from frankfort beating him 17-2 when he pinned him. then pinning chris leach in the 2nd. then chris leach losing to sean junkins that was an upset. Look to see jenkins and leach in the finals in a brawl
130: one of the best matches of the tourney happend first match. ryan anderson of lib harrison vs scott cottril of south harrison. anderson beat cottril in ot to win the tourney. that will be a tough region final.
135: this one belonged to south harrison's Matt jones. he had a few close calls but was in control at all times look to see him cruise in this class. but watch out for robbie brown maybe giving him a strugle in the finals. there match ended 5-4
140: Kesner suprised me with a win over cunningham of grafton. that will be a good region finals match
145: this had to be the hardest class: Seville, litton, toth who would win between them. toth loses to litton by one point. then toth wrestles seville in a match that coulda went either way. i feel that toth drug his feet in the final seconds of that match which woulda gave him the 2 points and the win but the ref saw it different so toth lost. seville then lost to litton
152: Waugh loses to justice but comes out with 1st place, 2nd place kimble almost was upset by byrd of sh who gave everyone a great match. my predictions are: 1st Waugh 2nd Justice 3rd barcus and 4th kimble
160: Richards of sh looks great and i think he will win the states. with a big win over hardaway where he completely dominated. Richards looks to be the best

January 31, 1999
comments: How can they do AA rankings before LKC?

January 31, 1999
comments: I really don't see why everyone is so obsesed with the individul rankings. They don't mean anything. When I was a senior I was not ranked. I could have cared less because I knew I was one of the top three kids in my weight class. I my record was not bloated with wins over the same kids every week. Heck I was barely above five hundred. I went down to state that year and placed higher than four of the top six ranked kids and that was no fluke either. People just need to quit whinnig that I am not ranked or I am better than that kid. JUST SHUT UP AND WRESTLE!
Editor's note: Now THERE is something I would like to see screen printed on somebody's tee-shirt.... "JUST SHUT UP AND WRESTLE" (smile)

January 31, 1999
comments: FOR THE FORUM:
Everyone had a chance at the Wirt County Tournament this weekend....Almost.
An event that showcased the talents of several area teams was marred by only one circumstance...the officials never had a chance! Not that they as a group performed poorly -- on the contrary, Woody Burns (from the Parkersburg area) and Jeremy Cross (W.H.S. grad and former wrestler there who made his varsity officiating debut at Wirt Co. H.S. this weekend) seemed to do a masterful job. The only controversy this writer noticed was at #125 where an excellent posting from "The Eye" noted a controversial pin called against Nick Prather of Winfield. No question that unranked Zyla of Williamstown is a talented wrestler. And no question that Nick was caught in a spladle. And granted, pinning points extend to the scapula area of the upper back. Even so, in all this writer's years experience at wrestling matches in various capacities, I have but once heard a crowd react so negatively to an officials' call.......

In an event that was precise in its running, flawless in its' organization, and a very accommodating venue, only this remained: The ref's were all closely associated with the Wirt westling program. The ref's never had a chance. I don't know why one would accept such an assignment. Call a tournament at "home." Compounded by father-son, uncle- nephew, and former wrestler-coach relationships, the task would be daunting.

Those in attendance and many coaches were overheard wondering if the same officials would be at the Region Three Championships on Feb. 20. Even if their concerns are unfounded, the "appearence of impropriety" presents itself.

In an otherwise stellar day for area wrestling, Williamstown crowned champions at #112, Wenometh, and HWT Hawkins to finish in first place. Wirt crowned Shearer at #125, Lowe at #130, Cross at #135 and Villers at #171 to finish as the second place team. Calhoun, third place winner, crowned Morris at #103, and Eric McCartney (who remains unbeaten) at #145. Other champions were: Schmitt at #119 from Parkersburg South, and team-mates Moles at #189 and McCartney at #215. Also winning were Meadows at #140, from East Bank; McDaniel at #152 from Belpre and Purpura at #160 from Bishop Donahue. Everyone seemed to win. Everyone except the officials.

Editor's note: I have read and re-read this post carefully. The writer is not accusing the officials of poor performance.
This writer DOES offer a few observations:
There was some controversy at this tournament.
The writer makes the observation that the ... "ref's were all closely associated with the Wirt westling program..." (well, either they were or they wern't - that is either true or it isn't)
The writer offers the opinion that the controversy was "...compounded by father-son, uncle-nephew, and former wrestler-coach relationships.." with the officials.
The writer asserts that the official's task was daunting and, as he says, "they never had a chance."
I offer the following observation: Officials, tournament directors, and Coaches should spend some time up in the cheap seats from time to time. I can tell you for a fact that wrestling fans know who the wrestlers are AND who the officials are. If the occasion presents itself that there is a referee on the mat with a family member or close associate entered in the tournament, there are no secrets - EVERYONE in the stands will know about it in short order.....
(I am also sure that many Coaches, officials, and tournament directors wish that some of us up in the cheap seats could take as shot at THEIR job from time to time). I hope we can leave it at that.

January 31, 1999
comments: How could Ransom of GW be ranked higher than Toney of Indy if Toney has beat Ransom like 3 times?? Talon, Frankfort is not gonna Finish than high at States. It was a surprise that they beat Grafton. Indy beat Grafton by a good bit. Indy will finish top ten,maybe 5.Watch and see.

January 31, 1999
comments: As we all know the new polls out are totally wrong, one of the mistakes I noticed was that Josh Barrett of Huntington (103) was not on there. He has beaten Delligatti once, and B.J. Miller 2 times, and took Stanley into a close overtime match at the WSAZ in which he lost on a takedown call that could've gone either way. He is training hard and is looking better everytime I see him wrestle.

January 31, 1999
comments: I can understand why coaches do not want to reorganize regions because of team powers knocking each other off and the disadvantage of having teams travel long distances for the regionals. In fact I think it should be a WVSSAC rule that regionals should never be hosted at the same site in consecutive years to avoid the hometown advantage and spread the hard ship of travelling and revenue around to every school.

But I have another suggestion for this issue. In AAA, Region 1 has 7 teams. Region 2 has 12 teams. Region 3 has 10 teams. Region 4 has 9 teams. Since each Region takes the top 4 finishers, this means that 57% of all the wrestlers competing in the Region 1 can earn a trip to State. Only 33% of the Region 2 wrestlers have a chance to go. Region 3 has 40% and Region 4 has 44% able to go.

Instead of making a team travel the entire length of the state and penalizing them by putting them in another Region, why don't the coaches look at taking the top 3 from Region 1 and top 5 from Region 2 in the future? Then the opportunity to go to the State Tournament would be Region 1 at 43%, Region 2 at 42%, Region 3 at 40%, and Region 4 at 44% without having to shuffle teams to an unmovable regional site.

This puts the opportunity to place at states on an even playing field for every AAA wrestler and team in the State.

January 31, 1999
comments:
103;gandee
112;wenmoth
119;westbrooke/johnson
125;hayhurst
130;wince
135;wieble/cross
140;miller
145;smith/mccartney
152;johnson
160;purpura
171;nester/villers only two ive watched at 171
189;kukendall
215;smith/lahman
hwt;salmons/naylor
most valuable wrestler to; mike miller, 4x champ

January 31, 1999
comments: Rob Lamb from Oak Glen is much better than fourth ranked. He would have won it if he hadn't got hurt last year. Everyone better watch out

January 31, 1999
JAMIE BOLEN AND NICK STEWART ARE TWO OF THE FINEST WRESTLERS IN THE STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA. THEY BOTH ARE INDEPENDENCE HIGH SCHOOL SOPHMORES AND ARE DOING WELL IN THEIR WEIGHT DIVISIONS. I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE THESE TWO FINE YOUNG MEN RANKED IN YOUR TOP TEN.THEY ARE MORE THAN DESERVING TO CARRY THIS NUMBER AND ARE FINE STUDENT ATHLETES . INDEPENDENCE HAS BEEN ON TOP OF THE WRESTLING IN THE AA/A DIVISION FOR SO LONG THAT THEY THOUGHT THEY SHOULD BUILD A WRESTLING TEAM AROUND THESE TWO SOPHMORES . I KNOW THEM BOTH AND THEY ARE FINE YOUNG MEN AND GOOD ROLEMODELS FOR THERE FELLOW STUDENTS AND THEIR PEERS.YOU SHOULD RECOGNIZE BOTH OF THESE YOUNG MEN ON YOUR PAGE.

January 31, 1999
email: 73170.2117@compuserve.com
comments: I'd like to suggest that email addresses of local sportswriters be collected for the coaches' use to report match results to local papers. This may help get your athletes' names in your local paper when you go to an out of town event. Here are a few that you might find helpful:
Mitch Vingle (Charleston Gazette): gazsports@aol.com
Charleston Daily Mail: dmsports@dailymail.com
Associated Press contact: bmartel@ap.org

January 31, 1999
comments: Some interesting wrestling came from the Wirt County Invitational on Saturday.
At 103, #4 ranked Morris (Cal) cruised to 1st place.
112 saw #1 Wenmoth (Will) taken into OT he then wrestled #3 McCartney in the finals winning by a score of 11-1.
At 119, we saw the early upset of #4 Westbrook (Will) by Schmitt (South Reserve) who then went on to beat #5 Miller (Wirt) in the finals.
At 125, unranked Zyla (Will) pinned #2 Prather (Win) in a controversial semi-final match and then Schearer (Wirt) was able to beat Zyla in the finals.
130 #2 Lowe (Wirt) defeated Ledbetter (Cal) in the finals with a 9-2 decision.
135 saw #3 Cross (Wirt) get revenge in the finals against #2 Wenmoth 6-3, who had beaten him earlier in the year.
At 145, #1 McCartney (Cal) battled with #8AAA Nash (Nich) to win a tight 1-0 decision. 152 saw a tough kid from Belpre, McDaniel remain undefeated with a pin over #4 Johnson (Will).
#7 Purpura (BD) was able to take home first at 160 with #4 Drennen (Wirt) and #8 Melrose (Will) taking 3rd and 4th. At 171 #3 Villers (Wirt) took home the first place finish.
At 215 unranked Gibson (Cal) defeated #5 Welsh (BD) in the semis only to finish 2nd.
In the HWT match #5 Hawkins (Will) defeated #7 Laughlin (Cal) by pin to take 1st.
*rankings based on coaches poll
Team wise Williamstown nearly broke the 200 mark with a 199, followed by Wirt with 166 and Calhoun with 141.

January 30, 1999
comments: 2nd day of the smash was almost exciting as the first, Grafton also defeated Braxton by a mere point, then went on to be defeated by Frankfort by four points. There were a few key upset in the tournament: at 103 both Davidson, Frankfort and Lane of Webster defeated Yurkovic of Braxton. At 112, Stiles of Clay-Batelle pinned Culverhouse of Braxton. At 119, Coleman of Frankfort beat #8 ranked Reed of Berkeley Springs in ot for third place. At 125, #6 ranked Leach took home third place after losing on a pin to Jenkins of Lib-Harrison and losing in ot to Junkins of Frankfort. At 152,#1 ranked Waugh of Berkeley Springs lost to Justice of Braxton, but still managed to take home first place. At 160, #2 ranked Hardway of Braxton lost a thriller to # 6 ranked Richards of South Harrison. Richards also beat Widmyer of BS who was ranked #3. That was about all the surprises I can recall, It was an exciting day. Region II is becoming very tough and may become a force to be reckoned with in years to come!!! Congratulations, to team champs: FRANKFORT,and a congrats to runner-up: GRAFTON.

January 30, 1999
comments: 1st day of the viking smash went smooth! Although, there was one upset, not individually though, Frankfort upset Braxton 36-35. Frankfort also defeated South Harrison as well, so it looks like the team title will now be between regional champs Grafton and runner-up Frankfort.The two teams clash tommorrow in the second round of action. Frankfort was propelled to victory by pins from Junkins (125), Bosley (135), Kesner (140), Litten (145), and Kuykendall (189). Always winning for Frankfort were Duke Davidson who won an exciting overtime decision over Bub Yurkovic and Chip Kimble (152). Braxton captured victories at 112,119,130,160,171,215,275. The whole Braxton/Frankfort dual was thrilling!!

January 29, 1999
email: talon98@hotmail.com comments: OK, I've decided to make a few changes to my top ten list (a/aa) - maybe I should have stayed with my original choices, but I may have been wrong... (hard to believe I know). I have also added my predictions for state champs.

1. Wirt (still risky to predict - but i think it'll happen)
2. Oak Glen (well - they're oak glen)
3. Cameron (pretty tough - but won't over ride og and wirt)
4. Ritchie
5. Williamstown
6. Calhoun (moved up a few spots - statistical error)
7. Ravenswood
8. Frankfort (is gonna suprise some people)
9. Berkeley Springs
10. Petersburg (Lahman & Dingess will make them break the top 10)

103 - Gandee (Ravenswood)
112 - Wenmoth (Williamstown)
119 - Johnson (Calhoun)
125 - Hayhurst (Ritchie)
130 - Wince (Ritchie)
135 - Cross (Ravenswood)
140 - Miller (Wirt)
145 - Litten (Frankfort)
152 - Snider (Tyler Co.)
160 - Drennen (Wirt)
171 - Dingess (Petersburg)
189 - Kuykendall (Frankfort)
215 - Lahman (Petersburg)
275 - Salmons (Ravenswood) If my theory is right McClung will be third - i think they're gonna meet in the semi's.....

January 29, 1999
comments: Md Wrestler is right Nick Dolan did beat Satley before I did. I think the source of confusion was from the fact that he was unbeaten going into the Tri-meet. Nick Dolan also beat me that night 15-7. He's one of those guys that is a cut above everyone else. I wish him luck in his quest for the Md state championship

January 29, 1999
comments: WHO DID SHERRAD HAVE IN THE FINALS AT THE WSAZ

January 29, 1999
comments: To all wrestlers out there.
The ranking are not worth the paper they are printed on. So if you are not ranked where you want to be then go do something about it in Huntington.

January 29, 1999
comments: the rankings for the individual are completely a discrace because kenny lowther should be right up there at 215 and he isnt and so shouldnt jeff noechel at 171 and eric noel should be first
January 29, 1999
comments: I would like to congradulate Jason Hayhurst for getting his 100th win on jan. 27 as a junior. Good luck the rest of the season!

January 29, 1999
comments: Just to comment on the fact that Jason Jones wont be beaten.. I will have to say maybe not at states, but he has already been pinned in the first period by East Fairmont's Matt Miller AAA, who hasn't lost yet in the state. Matt (a sophomore) is probably the most underated wrestler in the state. Look for him high up in Huntington. And, I'm not partial to Triple A teams, I feel that double A wrestling is far superior this year.

January 29, 1999
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHO BEAT THOMPSON TWICE AT WZAZ? ADAM LEWIS IS LOOKING LIKE THE ONE TO BEAT AT 189, CONGRATS TO ADAM.

January 29, 1999
comments: I wanna send out congrats to Roane's Lonnie Nichols. This boy is tough. He beat me in about 20 sec. He also won first at Calhoun. He's a force to be reckoned with.

January 29, 1999
comments: A recommendation for the State Tournament - Last year, I remember reading something on the Forum that said that the State Tournament attendance continued to grow every year. (Let me add that I think the crew running it does a wonderful job and I have attended probably 6 in the last 7-8 years.) I only have 2 issues with the way it is organized.

1. If the spectator total is continually growing and/or our state wants it to grow faster, there must be more seats made available to the spectators in order to continue this growth. One whole side is made available to the wrestlers. As some are eliminated from the tournament competition, they return to the spectator side to sit with their family and friends leaving that side wide open. Suggestion - Either rope off a smaller section for the wrestlers from the start or as the tournament progresses towards the finals, start opening some of those sections to spectators. Lets encourage people to pack the place.

2. My second suggestion revolves around the reserved section with the wrestlers for picture taking. I had one last year and was surrounded by the friends and family of certain teams sitting there to watch the matches and they didn't take a single video the entire tournament. When I went to the other side to sit with my family, 3 or 4 people pulled out small Video camera's and started filming. Why not just open up that section next to the wrestlers for spectators to gain the additional seating and do away with the camera restrictions that are so hard to enforce or put yourself in a position to have people wonder why certain families get to watch from the other side? Let's just forget about charging for filming and increase the available seating. Then, work on filling the empty seats with as many paying customers that will come knowing they can get a decent seat for the semi finals and finals.

Does anyone else feel that way?

January 29, 1999
comments: Last year the coaches voted to recommend awarding 7th and 8th individual places at the State Tournament and forwarded that to the WVSSAC. The 1999 Tournament schedule does not reflect this. Does anyone know the status of the coaches recommendation or how long it takes the WVSSAC to react to something like that?

January 29, 1999
comments: Sherrad looked very impressive at WSAZ. They gave Independence a good run. Does anyone known how many wrestlers Sherrad is losing? Are any of the kids leaving the six who were in the finals at WSAZ?

January 29, 1999
comments: Form what we saw at the Hoover Quad on Wednesday it looks as if Cabell Midland may be adding a couple of freshmen into their lineup. These freshman stayed with the freshman team until after the WSAZ tournament then challenged for Varsity time. The lineup could be somewhat different come the MSAC tournament.

January 29, 1999
comments: Well the Viking Smash at Petersburg is this weekend. Finally we will see who the real champions are. There looks to be a lot of good match-ups. Maybe some upsets. I think Braxton will take first as a team. They have all there wrestlers back and healthy. Harris at 119 got his 100th win a couple of weeks ago. Hardway at 160 will pick his 100th win this weekend. The word is that Underwood, a former student at Braxton, moved to Richwood and may be in two sports. He is heard to be wrestling 171lb class.

January 29, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Chris Gibbs for winning his weight class at the WSAZ. Keep up the good work! I am sure Coach Nibert is proud too! Looking forward to watching you in the future at Cabell Midland!

January 29, 1999
wrestlers.cc web domain for sale. Best offer. Reply to Russ McGinnis <macktwo@gte.net>

January 29, 1999
comments: To biggest miller just woundering if you are a wrestler....

January 28, 1999
comments: Not taking anything away from Nick Foster,he is a super wrestler, but Seth Staley was not unbeaten by the time Nick wrestled him, it seems Nick Dolan from Southern Garrett, just minutes before pounded Staley with a 10-0 decision. Nick Dolan also defeated Nick Foster on this evening. Nick Dolan is currently 20-0 and has dreams of his first Md. State Championship.

January 28, 1999
comments: It's shaping to be a real State Tournament. Too bad Region 1 will kill each other before going to the State. Cabell-Midland looks pretty good. Look for Parkersburg High - Cabell Midland - South - North Marion to all go to the wire in February..

January 28, 1999
comments: Midland does not have power over Oak Glen!

January 28, 1999
comments: To: STAND UP
I think that was a very well written and consise argument that you made and I agree with you fully.

January 28, 1999
comments: There would have to been more than one bad rouind for Wirt for them to beat Midland....There was almost a 40 point difference....It just proves what kind of power they have over everyone in the state.

January 28, 1999
comments: No I am not from williamstown or wood county.

January 28, 1999
comments: To biggest miller wirt barely won wsaz, Williastown would have won if you guys did not get all those forfeits in the last round wich gives place points and pin points. Which you got three of them and you only beat williamstown by nine.

January 28, 1999
comments: WRESTLING IS A TEST OF GAINED KNOWLEGDE OF HOLDS AND STRENGHTH.SKILL IS INVOVLED. IF A WRESTLER HAS TO CHOKE; HEADBUTT; THROW ELBOWS; TWIST ARMS; KNEE TO THE GROIN AREA; ETC. HE HAS BEEN TAUGHT THIS OR IT IS IN HIS CHARACTER.IN OTHER WORDS THIS IS NOT THE FAKE WRESTLING LIKE YOU SEE ON TV. SO IF A KID THROWS AN ELBOW INTO THE EYE TO INTENTIONALY INJURE HIS APPONENT [JUST AN EXAMPLE] BECAUSE HE DOES NOT HAVE THE SKILLS TO WIN WITH CIVILIZED BEHAVIOR SUCH A WRESTLER SHOULD BE THROWN OUT OF THE MATCH OR TOURNAMENT.

January 28, 1999
comments: What upsets at calhoun are you talking about.Everyone won that was supposed to or am i missing something?

January 28, 1999
comments: Congratulations to Derek Knapp of Hamilton Jr. High and Nathan Pickens of Edison Jr. High for their victories in the Wood County Jr. High Championship. Nathan claimed his third Jr. High County Championship and joined an elite group of wrestlers who went on to make a name for themselves at the high school level, and some at the collegiate and national level. Derek won Most Outstanding Wrestler by winning one of the toughest weight classes in the tournament. Derek is an 8th grader and has a chance of joining Nathan as a three time winner next year. Other repeat winners were Chris Daggett and Matt Wright, both of Edison Jr. High. Congratulation also goes out to Blennerhassett Jr. High for wrestling a strong tournament to pull the upset and take the team title. The Junior High wrestlers put on an excellent tournament and showed just how strong and balance Wood County is as there were several upsets of defending champions, number one seeds and undefeated wrestlers. Yet, through all that, the wrestlers can hold their heads high as the sportsmanship was at an upper level and though Derek Knapp won Most Outstanding Wrestler, all the Wrestlers were outstanding in their performance this past week.

January 28, 1999
To: Biggestmiller
I understand why you do not agree with the coaches polls. The truth is, everyone wants to be ranked higher than anyone else! The coaches' polls are an indication of how well a team will perform in several situations. If a team has many "very good" wrestlers, one would presume that they would score very well as a "dual" team, winning most dual contests. And should, therefore be rated high in the coaches' poll. However, the same team might not fare so well when wrestling in a tournament where there were many "outstanding" wrestlers from other teams. It is possible that a team of the "very good" wrestlers might not score at all! In fact, several years ago, St. Mary's H.S. won the AA team state title with only 4 "outstanding" wrestlers! Now here's the catch. If you compare head to head direct competition, you still may get a result that seems contradictory. May I point out to you that Calhoun defeated Wirt on 12/12/98 by a score of 42 to 36 in a dual. Two weeks later, on 1229/98, Calhoun battled to a tie with Wirt Co. at the Roane co. Duals, without some of their "big guns." Using the same logic that you cited, it stands to reason, therefore, that Calhoun should be ranked above Wirt. The poll cannot take into consideration who is injured, ill, absent, not at weight, and many other factors that determine the dynamic condition of a wrestling team.(and neither can a dual) In short, the poll is a combination-guesstimate of how well a team is expected to perform many different situations. I think it is an excellent indicator. The most accurate poll is the one "after the dust settles" at the end of February!

January 28, 1999
comments: I don't know about you but i think the coaches polls are wrong. We beat cameron at berkely springs earlier in the year and we did not even have a full roster like we do know. If the win at the wsaz wasn't a wake up call nothing will be.

January 28, 1999
comments: Congratulations to the wirt county wrestling team who won fist place in the wsaz tounament in the AA division. If we would not have had one bad round i think we could have walked away with the hole thing including AAA. At the end of the first day wirt was leading everyone , including AAA, by 11 points. Every one wrestled well and placed high. good Job. Oh yeah one of the biggest tounaments is going to be the LKC. I wouldn't miss it.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page