West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 2004 Forum Part Two

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 17, 2004
comments: try 2000 125... JP Stanley state champ + runner up, Robbie Williams 3x runner-up, Mark Evans 4x placer, Robby Ripley eventual state champ, John Duncan eventual state champ, Matt George 2x previous state champ, Wes Lane eventual state champ, Danny Lord eventual state champ and 3 time placer, Daran Hays runner-up and 3x placer. Thats a weight class 7 state championships, 13 finalsist appearances and over 20 places!

March 17, 2004
comments: Congratulations is spelled with a t not a d

March 17, 2004
comments: Doc, in reguards to the editors note on 3/16. If that's your feeling, then this web site would be dead. (then we would have to read that guy from martinsburg page). Heck that's half the fun of this site listening to people run on with never ending subjects. You could rename the web site to AS THE WV MAT TURNS.
Ha, Ha.
Editor's note: Yeah, yeah, I know. Sometimes I don't know if this forum is....
a) A meeting place for fans to congregate to discuss and debate issues and events for which we have great interest, or...
b) A house fire which, likewise, attracts great numbers of people for for discussion and comment.
(smile)

March 17, 2004
email: mallenxyz@hotmail.com
comments: Charleston area wrestler driving to Detroit for AAU tournament. Anyone wishing to share room/gas expenses please email or call 727-1040. If you want to go but can't afford to contribute... call... it's a long trip to drive by myself.
Editor's note: Danger, Will Robinson. I'll post this with reservation. Beware of soliciting rides over the Internet. Be sure you know who you are getting in the car with.

March 17, 2004
Just a reminder to let everyone know that we will be providing coverage of the NCAA Div. I National Wrestling Championships. Be sure to follow our coverage at www.TheWrestlingMall.com. If you are attending please stop by our booth at the WIN Memorabilia Show. Hope to see you there.
Jesse Krebs
CEO/Owner
The Wrestling Mall

March 17, 2004
email: NC AAU Southern Nationals
comments: Website for NC's AAU Southern Nationals this month is www.ncaauw.org.

March 16, 2004
comments: If Andy Thomas does wrestle 171 next year,he may run into a state champ on the southside of the river named Codi Norman.The better fit for PHS seems to be Chance Litton at 152 and Andy at 160.South and PHS both have loads of talent and next year will be fun to watch...again! One thing I don't actually like about wrestling is the fact that young kids sacrifice so much when asked to cut too much weight or wrestle light and face kids stronger with a big weight difference.Just a thought.

March 16, 2004
Editor's note: These comments regarding the Youth States are getting repetitive and don't seem to be shedding much additional light on the topic. I think it's time to move on...

March 16, 2004
comments: For all those wanting to challenge the PKB Youth States.

When your area wins the High School States more than 10 years in a row, you will have just started earning the respect. Build it, then they will come.

Until you can prove it on the mats, its just talk.

Be thankfull PKB doesnt have a facility that could handle the HS States, money and numbers matter most when choosing the place.

This may change in the future, but for now, PKB has the respect.

Other areas may name their tourney State Championship, and your kids might win there, but when High School happens, and your kids with big records are looking up at the highest platform on Saterday evening, they will probably see a past Jr State Champ from the Parkersburg States. Dont be disapointed, you have all those other State Champ Awards from the other tourneys. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

As for the future High School powers, has any team beaten the combined scores of Edison and Blennerhassett? They will combine next year, and every year. So far, only the Cougers have been able to climb that moutain.

If your avoiding the PKB Jr States, your kids may never see the leval they have to wrestle at, to win the HS States.

March 16, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Colin Gustines winning 7-8 60# weight class at the State Championship in East Fairmont. Great Job!!

March 16, 2004
comments: To: Wood Co. Parent
First, it is a 5 hour plus ride to Parkersburg from the eastern panhandle. Second, your tournment is at least a 2 to 3 night stay which isn't affordable to everyone on our team. We took over 40 wrestlers to E. Fairmont and have about 70 to 80 kids on the team.

And to answer another question of yours there were about 600 wrestlers at E. Fairmont too.

Also if Wood Co. is so great, why are you intimidated by one of the smallest counties in the state? If your the big dog and know it , maybe you should try being humble and just sit back and chuckle at us.

March 16, 2004
comments: Don't forget to congratulate Sarah Crawford if you see her. She will be singing the National Anthem in Cleveland for Senior Nationals. Good luck to her and Robert Ward, of Independence.

March 16, 2004
comments: Youth wrestling over the summer sounds good, it's up to the kids. There are only 2 places to wrestle Cougars or the Mini Pats. Unless the Wood Rec. opens the mats this summer, thats a big IF!! as far as I can tell. Summer wrestling has no problems as far as I'm concerned. Keeps the kids in tune!

March 16, 2004
comments: If and when there is a officially sanction youth state tournament, the worst thing that could happen is to have it split into regional qualifiers. Every kid should be a part of the youth state. Many times the top five or six kids in a particular class are from the same area. There are many times on the high school level that the top five or six kids are from the same region. This, too, is wrong. I would rather the high school state be run as an open tournament to make it a TRUE state championship. If the high school state were run as an open tournament, you would find a kid named Dunn and a kid named Munday in the top six. Childhood is short enough, and all too soon children have to make a TEAM or get left behind. It should not happen at the youth level. Just competing in a youth state tournament can be a great learning experience, don't exclude any child.

March 16, 2004
comments: WHat is the website to sign up for SOuthern NAtionals on the 26th and 27th of this month.

March 16, 2004
comments: To: College recruiting fan
The maximum total of wrestling scholarships in DI is 9.9 not 8.9. That doesn't mean every university/college has that many to give. Some schools only have 4-5 to split among the team. Most wrestling scholarships are only partial 1/4 to 1/2...if you are lucky. Often wrestlers will walk on with the promise that if they become All-American or national qualifiers, then they will recieve some money. The coaches will often look to other resources to find money for wrestlers first; academic or need based scholarships or grants. Some schools waive out of state tuition to athletes (Oklahoma, Iowa, etc.) It is a shame there are not more scholarships available. The wrestlers bust their behinds every day lifting, running, practicing and going to classes (which they must maintain a certain GPA to remain eligible to stay on the team)The college wrestling season is a very long one starting in September and ending this weekend for DI. It would be nice to see all the wrestlers get something for their dedication. It is really a shame that there are not more colleges in WV that offer wrestling. The only choices currently are WVU and West Liberty.

March 16, 2004
comments: I for one am very excited to see where Lou Thomas of Parkersburg is going to end up at the senior nationals. He's had a good year, and I know he loves the competition. I'm sure almost everyone entered in the tournament is going to have it rough. This tournament is tough, and I believe Lou is going to do very well.

March 16, 2004
comments: Andy Thomas of PHS has been said to wrestle 171 regardless next year and Joey Lindamood wrestled 189 this year while weighing just 172. Shenny puts the kids where they will help the team the most. Next year Parkersburg main concern is HWT. Parkersburg is freestyling now, some of the teams are still wrestling. Our team is going to the Mason open, we have 3 coaches who have offered to wrestle, to give the kids some motivation

March 16, 2004
comments: For everyone thinking the Jr. States should be moved, have a hole in their head. Wood Co. rec fronts the cash, so WHY would they move it!! I can see it getting bigger and maybe going to 3 days, but never moving. The class of the State is in Parkersburg, so come on down or up!! The North Side of the river or the South side, it's the best in the State hands down. we don't need to combine teams for a team title, by the way was voted down starting next year!!

March 16, 2004
comments: I would like to congradulate East Fairmont for this past weekends tournament it seemed to go rather soomthly this year compared to last year event.I witnessed some very good wrestling but would have to say that the parkersburg tournament is much deeper in talent. I'm not taking anything away from the champions at either tournament because they all are state champions but there is a gap in the two tournaments. Hopefully in the near future there will be only one state tournament .

March 16, 2004
comments: to AAA Watcher i thought Varney - CM 215 was a senior this year?

March 16, 2004
comments: When did states become about where it's held and not about the kids. To me thay are all winners and they all work hard to be the best. Get over the competition on whose states is the best and remember this is for the kids!! We all think there should be one states and if tournament of champions can have 3400 why can't WV have one youth states? There are plenty of places in the state of WV to have this. Each district could get together and help run it each year.

March 16, 2004
comments: Rock,
I believe the rankings came out of USA Wrestling. The Halsey's are much better at Greco (Lionel, Bakersfield college All-American) (Ryan, Cal Poly current 184) Brandon, which seems to have the best chance of being the best out of the three in Wrestling.
As far as Folkstyle goes it can be anybody's match to win.
(I hate folkstyle anyway)lol
Thanks Rock
Greg

March 16, 2004
comments: Threepeat?????
103 - Z. Hayes
112 - S. Stilgenbauer
119 - T. Little / K. McPeek
125 - J. Hayes
130 - R. Ewing
135 - B. Rader
140 - Smith / C. Ice
145 - J. Bailey / B. Shaffer
152 - S. Chichester / M. Lindamood
160 - C. Litton
171 - A. Thomas / D. Combs
189 - J. Wettengal / S. Meyers
215 - J. Lindamood / J. Adkins
275 - Marlow / Z. Nolan / J. Shaffer

March 16, 2004
comments: Top 215 for next year.
Lindamood-PHS if not at 189
Davis-PS
Mauck-BU
Linville- Hurr
Varney - CM
Wojo-Riverside

March 16, 2004
comments: Rock: I think Lou will have a TOUGH time at senior nationals. More than half of the top 12 of AWN are seniors. #1Joe Dennis (accounts for lou's only 2 losses this season), #4 Jon Oplinger...I'm sure he wants revenge. #5 Mike Maresh, #6 Brandon Hasley, #7 Joe Fendone, #8 Jake Kallestad, #9 Rashard Goff (defeated goff at the ironman) and #11 Jordan Bedore. I'm assuming they will all be going but I have no idea. But Lou's gonna have a tough road at the senior nationals. Lets see how he will do.

March 16, 2004
comments: There were 2 different photographers at our states. Action photos were the people taking pictures al day and you could order them at the end of the day. The person that toke the finalist pictures was one ofour very own coachs, Brian Bond. I am not sure if e will have those pictures on his web site. If you want to check this is the address to his web site http://www.easterndigitalphotography.com

March 16, 2004
comments: Here's one for you. Try out 1995 140lb. Just in AAA you have Cliff Ward 2x and high school AA, Steve Rader State Champ, Bates State Champ, Ryan Besedich State Champ, not to mention Heath Greathouse from PS that was in the running every year for a state championchip himself. Sounds like a pretty tough weight class to me.

March 16, 2004
comments: Saturday 6:30 PM on ESPN2:
College Wrestling NCAA Championships
150 mins.
The NCAA Division I Championships in St. Louis. Oklahoma State won last year's team title.

March 16, 2004
comments: I have been following college wrestling recruiting for a long time, including subscribing to about 10 wrestling publications, including 2 in Pa and The Predicament in Iowa. I also subscribe on line to the premium service on Intermat. The biggest limitation is that D-I wrestling only has 8.9 scholarships to offer for the entire team. Pitt offers even less than that due to Title IX. A wrestling scholarship is MUCH harder to obtain than a football scholarship (football has 85 full rides to offer). WVU has Daddino--only a sophomore at 197--and there is no 215 wt. class in college. Pitt either recruited Lou Thomas as a heavyweight or he is going to cut to 197. A good 215 high school wrestler is in "no man's land" weight wise.

March 16, 2004
comments: Suggestion: Have the youth state tournament at the Wheeling Civic Center. Plenty of room for 8 mats, a nice diner located within the facility. Tons of comfortable seating and room for staging. The areana is surrounded by hockey boards so that only coaches can access the floor! Good location right off Interstate 70. Have only one state tourney!!!!! With Cabella's opening soon Wheeling would be a great place to spend a weekend. Your thought's????

March 16, 2004
comments: Everyone wants a piece of the action. For over 20 yrs. there was a state youth tourn. that all the kids attended, records have been kept and state champs crowned. Call it what you want, the other tourn. is just that, another tourn. It is a good tourn. and the kids can use all the mat time. I don't like the way Huntington runs the high school state so I think I will start my own. NASCAR makes some mistakes so I think I'll start my own NASCAR series. If we have them in different towns all over WV, it wont be so far to drive. How conf. this must be to the wrestlers.

March 16, 2004
email: spittman1@cox.net
comments: Cold you place this on the open forum!
Team Virginia has some spots open for their AAU Elementary Dual Team going to Kinsport,Tenn on April16-18th. If you know of any god wrestler 1-5th Grade that likes national competition and wants to be a part of this team please contact me. Weights needed are 40,108,132,148,HWT(max 230). Package includes custom singlet,Jacket,shorts and travel bag for $175 and 8-11 matches agaisnt good competition. Contact Steve Pittman at spittman1@cox.net or 757-342-6120 after 6pm.
Thanks

March 16, 2004
comments: I think Jeffery's has the right idea and only then will it be true wv state when teams not consisting of fourty kids will have a shot at team title. I also agree jefferson is a great team, however just because they were present does not make it a true wv state . There were several great teams missing from the youth,Mason county ,oak glen, wheeling only had a hand full.I must say I was impressed the way Ray held together under all the pressure.

March 16, 2004
comments: I know there is a huge disagreement regarding the true Jr. states but honestly there is no true JR. states in WV. This is very sad. The only way to have a true states is to have a governing body from all areas of the state. We need to have districts championships to cut down on the amount of children and bring only the top 3 or 4 in that age and weight. The states could be run by a different district each year rotating. This would help the cost to some that have a difficult time traveling to Parkersburg every year.

March 16, 2004
comments: The buzz around town is a Wood. co. group is going to meet with the SSAC to come up with a Jr. High/Middle School State Championship to run a week before the highschool regionals. Then certify certain youth tournments around the State for seeding purposes for Jr. States. I hope it comes together, then maybe some of these kids on privite teams will wrestle Jr/Middle School. What I've been told a large number of weight classes at Fairmont, didn't have 6 wrestlers in them. If Jefferson was so good why not come to Parkersburg? Oak Glenn chose to have a tournment the weekend of the Jr. States and maybe they will bring their kids.

March 16, 2004
comments: I want to thank the East Fairmont Wrestling Club for hosting the Championships this past weekend, it was a great tournament. I saw a lot of really intense matches through out the age and weight classes and congratulate all the wrestlers on their accomplishments this season. It looks like the East Fairmont Team will be worth watching this up coming season also, with Wood, Jenkins, Trozzi, Robe, Baily and Church returning for another year. It shows what dedicated youth and coaches can accomplish when they work together. Congratulations guys, see you next fall.

March 16, 2004
comments: Here are the current West Virginia entries for Senior Nationals to be held in Cleveland, OH, Apr. 2-4.
Good luck to all thes wrestlers.
130 McFarland, Jonathan WV Brooke High School 36-10 125-42
130 Shyver, Robert WV Parkersburg High 42-8 114-14
135 Shaw, Braden WV Brooke High School 38-2 138-27
171 Walters, Kyle WV Parkersburg South High 31-7 88-24
189 Ward III, Robert WV Independence High 43-7 127-13
215 Thomas, Lou WV Parkersburg H.S. 45-2 131-15
275 Dearman, Ryan WV Parkersburg High School 45-5 97-20

They are still accepting applications, so hopefully we will see more WV entries. I think this years team has the potential for West Virginia to fininsh in the top 15 but we are going to need more entries to do so.

March 16, 2004
comments: Parkerburg is the real state tournament it came first and has always been here an always will. I think that every1 should come to the pakersburg states because it is the true state tournament. How can you caonsider the states at east fairmont real when they have less people show up(trust i went to both and parkersburg had more) and the hot bed of wrestling in are state(wood county) does not come to the other states so i thin parkersburg is thetrue states hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 16, 2004
comments: I believe riding time should be apart of folkstyle wrestling. Personally i am better on my feet than on the mat but riding time would make a better rounded higschool wrestler.

March 16, 2004
comments: Congrats to Lou Thomas for winning the Dutton Award. Lou is a fine young man and I have officiated his matches since he was young til this year. If I had a son I would be happy for him to be just like Lou.
GK

March 15, 2004
comments: I just wanted to thank east Fairmont for hosting the youth tournamnet this past weekend. We had a great time. Great job Jefferson wrestlers. Way to go JJWA. Maybe next year there will be one WV youth states and everyone will wrestle togehter.

March 15, 2004
comments: 2001 171lb weight class was very tough also with Jeff Courtney, Matt Miller, Chris Dagget, Lou Thomas, Ray Linger, and Joey Joplin as the top 6.....4 of them being former or eventual state champs

March 15, 2004
comments: that david schlieper kid won parkersburg states andeast fairmont,he is from cameron and he is going to have a good future in wrestling

March 15, 2004
comments: Greg Pettit, I would like to kow which publication you are reading that has Brandon Halsey as #1 in the country. AWN has Halsey at #6. I know Halsey is good, he beat Lou in Fargo by a couple of points, i think. Lou has a higher ranking probably because he defeated previuos #1 Oplinger. Will Halsey be at the Sr. Nationals? I bet Lou would like a rematch in Folkstyle.

March 15, 2004
email: debbie_dye3@yahoo.com
comments: due to a scheduling conflict the girls wrestling tournament for March 20th will be held at the Wirt County middle school gym. Weigh-ins are 7:00-9:00 wrestling begins at 10:00. Remember walk-in's are welcome

March 15, 2004
comments: Hats off to the East Fairmont coaches and parents for an outstanding job this past weekend in conducting the WV Youth State Championships!!! Once again the battle for the best team in the state came down to East Fairmont and Jefferson with East Fairmont winning.Congratulations to East Fairmont and Jefferson, the best two teams in the state of West Virginia! It was disappointing that the Mineral Wells team didn't show up. They are a very competitive team and would have surely been in the running for the best in the state. Many others on this forum feel like the Parkersburg tournament is the TRUE state championship, but I beg to differ. My reasoning is simple.I know of at least four "champions" from Parkersburg who were dethroned this weekend at East Fairmont. As I mentioned before on this forum, the only way to be the best is to wrestle against and beat the best, AND the only way this will happen is when there is one Youth State Championship. I'd like to thank the East Fairmont coaches for discussing this issue at the scratch meeting and hopefully we can move forward and correct this.
To GK: Thanks for the compliment about the Jefferson County team.Jefferson Junior Wrestling.

March 15, 2004
comments: Here are some names to throw out:
Adam Schindler
Willie Westbrook
Daniel Bonasso
Matt Mitchell
Beau Hill
Jimmy Johnson
Matt Simmons
Brian Floyd
Nathan Miller
JP Stanley
Mark Evans
Tyler Hughes

And these guys didnt even place that year

Clint Radcliff
Nathan Kinsley
James Harris
Paul Brooks
Derek Carnifex
Arthur Trussler

How do you like them apples??

March 15, 2004
comments: I agree with you on 2000 125 being very tough... but it was also pretty tough in 1999 as well:
Jason Hayhurst
Anthony Regalbuto
Scott Bush
Brian Floyd
Nick Prather
Matt Kotson
Scott Hale
Wes Lane
Dennis Blankenship
Clint Radcliff
Drake Jenkins
Mark Evans

and these guys didnt even place that year...

Joel Zyla - 2nd in '00, Chris Leach - 2nd in '00, 3rd in '01, Tyler Hughes - 2 time runner up and '02 state champ, and Cody Shell

March 15, 2004
comments: To mail man: I am from Parkersburg. I know how good Felix, Chance and mr. Elder are, but that is not the toughest class. Come on now. 2000 125, that was a class. Wes Lane, Dan Lord, Robby Ripley, JP Stanley, Matt George and John Duncan. Were all state champions. 6 guys in one class that were state chmpions. This years 145 had 2, Just two. 2001 160 had 3. 2003 112 had 3 maybe 4 not for sure. But of these 2004 145 is 4th. Just my thoughts

March 15, 2004
comments: Gotta agree with the Mason County parent. As near as I could tell Point has about 2/3 of their team back next season. It looks as if, East Fairmont, Milton, Spencer, Cammack and even Edison will be chasing them again. I really like the way their youth program is organized. I wish we had something like that in our area. We have a Pee Wee but it takes place at the same time as middle school and only has a few kids. Nothing like the legions in Mason and Wood Counties. When Coach Riggs at Cammack and I (Milton)get our kids not all but most of them have never had a match and don't know a half nelson from a Willie Nelson. One thing that looms a bit ominous for those of us perennially chasing Point is that the will soon become a 7-8-9 school again giving Coaches Darst, Callendros, Clement et al, another season to work with them. Sort of scary - unless you are from Point. ;>}
JL/MMS

March 15, 2004
comments: i think that the point high school will have a lot of freshman starters such as woods jeffers workmanand hipes andthat allthe hipes boy will give a run to sirly for the hwt place thank u

March 15, 2004
comments: What do you think about 99'
Matt Stevens, Parkersburg,
Ash Gandee Ravenswood
Jeremy Layner, Parkersburg
Alex Reed, Point Pleasant,
Justin Stanley, Cabell Midland,
Jonathan Delligatti, Fairmont Senior,
Greg White, North Marion,
Matt Smith Ripley
Keven Ballam Hedgesville

March 15, 2004
comments: If McCloud(HWT)goes to 215 do you think he has a chance in the long run or should he stay at HWT

March 15, 2004
comments: can someone give me the top ten 215 AAA wreslters for 04-05 (future)

March 15, 2004
comments: congrats to kyle turnbull-he became west virginia's first winner at the dapper dan wrestling classic in pittsburgh-he was the seventh w.v. wrestler to compete. he had an 8-2 win over pa.state champ gary mayfield ,165-12.

March 15, 2004
comments: My aon did not wrestle this year in the Parkersburg state youth tournament so we are eagerly awaiting the annual post of placewinners. It is a slight to the champions to wait so long to post these, especially since Wood County posted its Rec League results.
Editor's note: I don't recall having received the results. Perhaps I overlooked them, or they got inadvertantly deleted with the 200 or so spam emails I get each day. If they have been submitted and not posted, accept my apologies, re-send them, and I'll get them up.

March 15, 2004
comments: Any interest in summer wrestling in Wood County?

March 15, 2004
comments: SR.

Thanks for responding, maybe someone in WV will get the ball rolling in improving our wrestlers.

I only named some of the wrestlers that I had partipated with or knew participated in the Top USA Wrestling events.

I am sure there were more but I just wanted to name a few.

I have a 215lb who just won California State (Brandon Halsey) He is ranked #1 in the country in that weight and has been traveling with me for the last 4 years going to EVERY Greco the state has to offer, the outcome?????

Cadet, Junior National Champion along with his brother Ryan who won the Jr. Nationals and placed 2nd in the world (In Greco)last year.

My point?

1)Need to wrestle in the big tournaments all year around, not just the AAU's, but National sanction events.
2)Go to camps(Chertow) He is living proof that any WV can make the ultimate goal (The Olympics). Now do I need to say more?
3)Quit worrying about what happened at State or who should have won..start thinking about NOW!

Summer wrestlers make Winter Champions!

Thanks again SR for the response.

Pettit

March 15, 2004
comments: Next year Edison has three kids that are going to make an immediate impact in the junior high league. Tyler Dickel and Jeremy Corbitt both move up to Junior High from Mineral Wells and Jessica Teters from South Parkersburg will wrestle for Edison too. Should be a dogfight between Edison and Point Pleasant. If anyone has ever watched Tyler Dickel they would know that he could quite possibly be the best talent this state has seen ain a while. Good luck Kids.

March 15, 2004
comments: I think this year's 145 class was the best class I have seen in years. also 2001's 160 was a real good class. but #1 would have to be this years 145 with Richey,Litton,Hughes,Bonecutter, Wilson,Elder and on and on the class goes.

March 15, 2004
comments: From: AAA Watcher
comments: Linville the 215 from Hurricane looks to be a front runner for a top 3 spot next year. He did not finish in the top six this year, but I believe this was his 1st full year of wrestling ever.He finished 2nd in region 4 behind eventual state runner up Hutchison. I think he only lost by 2.
215 place winners:
3rd: Josh Davis, Parkersburg South Jr 23- 10
4th: Drew Mauck, Fairmont Senior Jr 28- 10

Mauck Beat Linville 12-7 at states, And Davis beat the guy that beat Linville to place. Both only weigh about 200 so they should both be coming back at 215.

March 15, 2004
email: cross-face@webtv.net
comments: USA ALL-STARS VS. PA ALL-STARS(DAPPER DAN CLASSIC) PHOTOS INCLUDING WEST VIRGINIA'S OWN KYLE TURNBULL WHO IS HEADED TO WVU.

CLICK BELOW FOR PHOTOS

http://community-2.webtv.net/Cross-Face/CROSSFACEWRESTLING/

March 15, 2004
comments: The comments from wrestler fan on March 14. I agree that the Church kid could be special. The East progam is becoming special. Jenkins, Robe, Bailey add Murphy brothers, Church. BUT, can they make the change from succesful pee wee to high school?

March 15, 2004
comments: Conradulations to Mr. Lou Thomas, even though Lou knew last Sun. I want to say thanks for everything you've being doing in Parkersburg, to help all the kids in town. They all look up to you. Lou is diffently a roll model, besides being a State Champ X 3.

March 15, 2004
comments: From GK
After this weekend I have officiated both the Junior "States" and have some comments that I think will help both tournaments in the future. Before allowing all kids to compete think about using other tournaments as qualifiers similar to what the tournament of champions does. This would serve two purposes. One to help determine the seeds, and the second to eliminate so many kids for both weighins and as contestants. Hire enough referees to have two officials per mat.

In Parkersburg this was done, and none of the referees got tired and weren't worn out during the tournament. At Fairmont they worked eight on seven (they had hired 9 one didn't show), and even I was tired and grouchy lol at the end of the day. Police the floor by not allowing the parents and brothers and mothers and grandparents and friends to remain on the floor during competition. At the State high school tourney they used a pass similar to those used at the Nationals which hung around the persons neck and identified them as a coach or press or worker or whatever. At Parkersburg they did a reasonable job as they had law enforcement officers or volunteers at the entrances, at Fairmonet they had security personnel who stopped no one and the floor was extremely cluttered all day long. Parkersburg had Personnel to take care of blood that were in the training program from one of the colleges and they did an outstanding job cleaning up the blood on the mats and helping those that were injured. At Fairmont they had gloves and spray on the tables for the officials to use and I didn't see any trainers or emts on the scene. Have some type of volunteers as I'm sure WVU or Fairmont State have similar programs.

The level of competition may have been better at Parkersburg due to the fact that none of the southern WV team was at Fairmont(there was a fine team from Jefferson county at Fairmont that wasn't at Parkersburg)why not make sure that all areas are represented at the Junior States whether or not they are held in Parkersburg or Fairmont.

The food in the hospitality room was outstanding at Fairmont and the at Parkersburg was not as good without question. Lastly I would like to thank both areas for outstanding efforts and hope that these comments from an old dog like me will help make next years tournaments better and more enjoyable for the great kids of our state. Thank you Rick and Ray for making sure there were tournaments to wrestle in and putting in so much hard work with your VOLUNTEER staffs to benefit our great young wrestlers. Congratulations to all of the participants and especially all of the Champions.
Thanks
G K

March 15, 2004
comments: Can someone please tell me who the photographer(s) was at the WV Youth State Championships at East Fairmont this past weekend? There were action photos and photos of the finalists taken. I'm not sure, but there may have been two different photographers there. Thanks.

March 15, 2004
comments: To Youth Tourney Directors:
I along with many other fans and competitors would like to see the results of the Parkersburg Youth States as well as the Fairmont States Also.
I would also like to see the Rainell Open results. PLEASE POST THESE RESULTS FOR THE DIE HARD FANS AND WRESTLERS!!!!!! THANKS

March 15, 2004
comments: Does anyone know who isgoing to the senior nationals this year? Thomas, Walters, Shyver, Dearman, Shane Smith, Tracewell Hughes, Turnbull? Anyone know.....I think WV could have 3 or 4 AA's (All Americans) Placing top 8 at senior nationals is AA

March 15, 2004
comments: 2000 125 by far is the toughest class, second would be 2003 112 - GREAT CLASS
3) 2001 160 that AAA class was laoded. Casey Daggett was the top wrestler that year in my opinion.

March 15, 2004
comments: This comment is in response to Takedown 242 who commented on three 6th graders who he thought were exceptional. I would like to add to that list from some of our 6th grade wrestlers from Point Pleasant. At the Tri-State tournament held in Point Pleasant our team had seventeen wrestlers place. Of those 17, 7 of the place finishers were 6th graders. Some notable members of our team who are 6th graders or as Coach Darst affectionately called them at the beginning of the season his "Baby Faces" are Cody Keefer, Ray Gandee, Alea Hipes,Caleb Duong, Brock McClung and Clay Krebs. Brock and Clay both participated in the Junior States at Parkersburg and Brock McClung finished 3rd, while Clay Krebs got 1st place. We credit the success of all of our wrestlers to very supportive parents and the best coaches any kids could have.

March 15, 2004
comments: The talk about going to 12 weight classes just because some can't be filled is crazy. With the region realignment and the number of schools in AAA, why dont they just add one more round on Thursday morning and make the tournament a 32 person bracket. Make the first round single elimination and then do the tournament as it is right now. Not all the AAA schools have a program, so filling the bracket would be as simple as having a bye where needed. It's not rocket science, just common sense. It is as easy as that and all's it would take would be to just do it. As for AA/A, with all the schools there, just take the top 8 from each weight class and run a 32 person bracket. Might be a little harder to do with the AA/A but it can be done. A little work is all that it would take

March 15, 2004
comments: I think it is a shame that More WV wrestlers don't try and compete at the SR Nationals. I know most WV wrestlers only compete "in season" but its only 3 more weeks of dedication. All i read on here is how good everybody is and if they had the money and opportunuty to take their team to the ironman or beast or reno they would. well now is your chance to step up to the plate and go to a big time tourney, will you be there. I bet the Parkersburg kids will. Thomas, Shyver, dearman, and Walters have wrestled the tough schedule all year and won't back down now.

March 14, 2004
comments: Does anyone know when the Beckley wrestling camp is this summer?

March 14, 2004
comments: Me and a friend we in a disagreement the other day on which one of these classes were the toughest during that particular year.......
2004 145                   2003 112
wrestlers:                wrestlers:
Litton                    Turnbull
Richey                    Shyver
Hughes                    Cappas
Osuna-Cotto               Osuna-Cotto
Demastes                  Riner
Nelson                    Wilson
Hines                     Neal
Bonecutter                Morris
Wilson                    Goneau
Duryea                    Moffatt
Bennett                   Liethead
Stevens                   Pumphrey

2002 140                  2001 160
wrestlers:               Wrestlers:
Lane                     Daggett
Gustines                 Taylor
Bliss                    Wallace
Gibbs                    Durst
Mayle                    Bonecutter
Cornecelli               Osuch
Flowers                  Stickles
Morris                   Toth
Tracewell                Efaw
Dennis                   Dent
Greg                     Cottrill
Wright                   Lauderman

2000 125
Wrestlers:
Stanley
Williams
Ripley
Evans
George
Duncan
Wenmoth
Hughes
Harris
Eckleberry
Curry
Johnson

These are just a few of great weight classes in the past......2000 125 is hard to beat Wes Lane, Danny Lord, Daran Hays, and Dustin Barnes did not place that year. Lord and Lane both went on the be state champs later in there careers. Also Brandon Geary did not place in 2001 160. That was a tough class as well.........any opinions???

March 14, 2004
comments: Way to go Kyle! An 8-2 win over Gary Mayfield (Hanover, PA - 165-12) at the Dapper Dan Classic. As for the other WVU recruit entered in the Classic, 3X Pa. State Champ Kurt Brenner (Freedom, PA - 151-13)lost a close 8-6 match in a rideout to Blake Maurer (Mater Dei,Indiana - 187-2) a 4 X IN State Champ who will be going to Ohio State University next fall. Waynesburg's Coleman Scott ( 3X PA State Champ, 156-12, Oklahoma State) won his bout 16-9 over Jordan Crass ( 3X WI State Champ, 174-5 Medford, WI- University of Wisconsin) capturing OW honors for the PA Team. USA All-Stars defeated PA All- Stars 35-9.

March 14, 2004
comments: Congrats to big LOUUUUU for winning the dutton award, he definitely deserved that award!!!

March 14, 2004
comments: I'm a big school wrestling fan and have noticed an up a coming powerhouse for Fairmont tht I have had my eye on for some time. There has no mention of this wrestler yet. I have watched this Church kid, (I believe his first name is Andrew), for over 2 years now and have seen tremendous growth an potential for this youngster. I would match him up against any of the states best and would put my money on him every time. I have noticed his wrestling physique changing rapidly. I see a potential that this kid could go some where on a scholarship as long as he puts forth the effort that I have seem him do over the last couple of years. High school coaches watch out, here could be one of our states finest new wrestler.

March 14, 2004
comments: Congrats to LOU THOMAS on the Dutton Award!!! Well deserved.. Good luck at Senior Nationals and at PITT.
Shane Smith was 2nd
Casey Hughes 3rd
Justin Ashley 4th

March 14, 2004
comments: We as parents of an 8 y/o wrestler would like to share with other youth parents an eye-opening and heart wrenching event we had with our son during and after the Parkersburg Youth States. Our son also had an experience with vomiting during the Sunday matches. We as parents initially thought he contracted the nasty stomach virus going around. He vomited before and after two matches. He kept insisting he wanted to wrestle even though we seriously talked about letting him forfeit. It wasn't until over the past week did we realize the real problem - it wasn't a virus or food poisoning (thanks Kris and Charlotte for a well run concession stand)- it was his nerves!! He has asked us not to submit his record for future tournaments anywhere, not because he is a good wrestler and wants to be a "sleeper", but becasue he said the pressure he has felt by having a high seeded position was too much for him. We as parents always filled his forms out proudly with tournament wins, places and winning record. We have been and still are proud of him - no matter what place or not! Never did it cross our adult minds that his little mind would bear so much pressure. We as parents didn't mean to be a part of that pressure but he can rest assured that his experiences as a youth wrestler in the future will be his decisions. Thanks to all who worked hard on the Parkersburg tourney - we are not Wood County parents but as on lookers know that putting that many people together in one facility with a handful of referees can't be easy. Good luck to all youth wrestlers and their parents.

March 14, 2004
comments: congratulations to lou thomas for winning the dutton...

March 14, 2004
comments: Is Lou Thomas going to Pitt for wrestling or football or both?

March 14, 2004
comments: Kyle Turnbull won his Dapper Dan match 8-1

March 13, 2004
email: ovso-info@email.com
comments: Don't know if Doc allows shameless plugging on his forum, but for those of you with OVAC leanings, www.ohiovalleysportsonline.com, tries to provide wrestling results from throughout the Valley. And, of course, there are the OVSO Message Boards.

Feel free to visit, and thanks, Doc.

March 13, 2004
comments: You do know the Dutton is for seniors only, right???
Editor's note: For the sake of eliminating confusion, I'm not sure that is the case...

March 13, 2004
comments: In Response To Jim LeMaster: First of all I would like to say this is the greatest site on the whole World Wide Web....Doc you and you're volenters do a awsome job...The coverage updates of the State Tourny, Beast, Ironman..(Big Tournys.)....(updates while tourny is still going on AWSOME)...Prompt results when results are given...I have clicked on everyone of those links you have on the home page and read every single word....GREAT JOB DOC keep up the good work and congradulations to the award very well deserved....Now I think writing on here you get no emotion (body languge, voice tone, able to explane what you really ment...No slam to anyone...You knew some kids would be missed....Had a good time reminising through the results....The look out next year was not ment to be vindictive, just that being a sixth grader he is going to have a good year next year....East Fairmont has the bomb murder row Jenkins, Robe, Bailey, alot of state championships in those three guys, you are awsome.....but down here in our part of town (Huntingtion area) the best three sixth graders in my opion and eventual wsaz champs unless they beat each other is Brock Mclung(Mason), Evan Thompson(Milton) and Shane Pelfrey (Cammack), thats who I know...anyone has anyone to ad lets talk it up I think youth is most important period in getting WV on the national map...There came a time when a Master wrestler name Ken Chertow moved back to WV he start a little youth program with just a few kids (youth wrestling? who does that) took those few to who some may know..The Easter Brothers, Mitch Smith, and Jacob Frerichs(Ohio state champ this year) to Tulsa and won there division thats right Tulsa National Champs From WV... I have been to several camps...and i think his by far the most intense so far....go take notes if you run a program like that....well you see the results...I haven't seen how they run it but I think its quite obvious that East Farmont has the THE PROGRAM right now...With a great job going out to Garrett Trozzi 3rd 90lbs jr states wresting under the shadow of Robe good job ... And all this aside I do think a jr champtionship does mean jack for those who win it...all that show up should be commended for there hard work but its so hard to be #1 at anything let alone wrestling...so let's keep promoting youth wrestling and we will be a dominate state very soon
Editor's note: Hey, I took no offense at your prior post, and I doubt that Brent did either. No problem here...

March 13, 2004
comments: I'd like to wish Chip Shrader the best of luck year. He's a stud though he's underrated. He will be the man next year ... the one everyone is guning for. Best wishes Chip.

March 13, 2004
comments: Like to congratulate the Eagles on their 9th place finish at States. Appears the coaches polls were way off nice to see you all prove that. Big congratulations to State placers Shetler 4th at 112, Young 3rd at 189, and Ammons 4th at 171. Brad and Josh Nicholson you two who are graduating we will miss both of you very much. You both really improved in your 4 years at Hedgesville and both of you are quality young men with great attitudes. Best of success to each of you in all your future endeavors. Also like to congratulate both Jared Sella and Derrick Young for their accomplishments while giving up a good bit of weight. Sella winning regionals at 160 while weighing around 150-155. Young taking 3rd at states and only 3 pts away from the finals while only weighing about 177-180. Extrememly impressive. Makes me wonder what the two of you can do when your at weights that you actually weigh. Anyway as for next year it looks very promising with Hedgesville returning 12 starters from the regional championship team and another starter Steven Miller who was a starter most of the year and will hopefully be back next year. That's 13 returning starters 9 returning state qualifiers and 2 returning state placewinners. Plus I got a chance to see the Mason Dixon Jr. League Championship Tournament and there are 3 good kids coming up next year out of the junior league look for Charlie Kopp Hwt 1st at Mason Dixon to make an impact. Very impressive looking young hwt with a nice shot. Also coming up are Andrew Schaffer 2nd at 160 who is talking about dropping down to the middleweights and should help there. And also Richard Nicewarner 4th at hwt. All 14 weight classes next year should be filled by experienced wrestlers. Thus the Eagles should be odds on favorites to win regionals yet again. Would like to see if they can top Hedgesvilles best ever team finish at states 5th place. With all that said it still won't be easy next season. Fairmont Sr. will have a good team with 11 returning starters, 8 Returning state qualifiers and 2 returning state placewinners. Plus I know that most of you had goals of wanting to win a state title and no one reached that goal. With at least 5 of you seniors next year it will be your last shot. Like to see you all work hard in the offseason to try to be the best. You can start with the AAU tournament at Waynesboro 3/20. Like to see a number of you there getting serious and getting ready for next season. Next season should be a good year for Hedgesville with all the upper classmen the flip side to that is that the following year may be a rebuilding year so I'd like to see everyone working hard this offseason to see how far next years team can go. Anyway congratulations and hope to see you all come out and wrestle this offseason.

March 12, 2004
comments: I'll start of by saying that I had written a lengthy response and was almost finished when the internet clicked off. So, everyone is lucky because I'm not going to write the stupid thing all over again.
1st- The editor's response, as usual, is among the most intelligent material on here. That said, I disagree with any attempt to justify the posts just because it's the same thing year after year. Don't keep doing the "wrong" thing. However, I believe you actually said more than that. I understand some posts may slip through. I also understand making some errors in judgement. I've made one or two. You may have some noble thoughts that these posts may do some good. However, surely we both know human nature and the fact that there will always be some disappointed, angry, and jealous individuals who will forever be willing to make these kind of anonymous accusations.
Secondly, I didn't think this ultimately had anything to do with the overall Jr. States issue. Maybe you know more than me.
Finally, I believe there is someone explicitally implicated in these accusations, even if the individuals who posted them didn't have this in mind. Rick Dunbar put his name and reputation on the line (as do all directors) and any accusations of wrongdoing can't help but implicate him. There is no way that the things being claimed on here could have occurred without his knowledge. I will state that I am a personal friend of his but he has no knowledge of me writing this and I have not even discussed the tournament with him. I know he can handle the heat without any help from me. However, there is no reason that he and the other individuals who volunteered ought to be accused on this forum of lying, cheating and underhanded activities. Posts complaints about long lines, expensive food, late matches, poor organization (and yes, even the first reported case in the medical literature of a single person getting "food poisoning" at a meal served to 5000).
As you said, his name and number was readily available to those who sent these posts. You could have referred them directly to the only person who could address their complaints, rather than putting the questionable ones on here. The end result was the same, he responded with his name and phone number. I just think you made a mistake. Shoot, I think I wrote more on this one than the one I lost.

March 12, 2004
comments: Dear Mr. Nader, Isn't "liberal intelligencia" a contradiction in terms?

March 12, 2004
comments: Regarding the comments on going from 14 to 12 high school weight classes. As with most things it depends on your perspective. For the more established programs this would just mean more super wrestlers setting the bench. Granted, some teams might not fill all weight classes, but there are enough good ones for the state tourny. Two examples come to mind. One was where there were more top wrestlers at 119 in region 1 than spaces for the states already, now add some more wrestlers having to move up or down. Most dramatically, one of South's 4 state champions would have sat out all year because they combined 135 & 140. And one can't say that these weight classes were exceptionally weak this year. I for one hope they don't make these changes.

March 12, 2004
comments: Wrestling is great, but to go along with wrestling grades are important. Has anyone checked your local teams academic status? Take a look at PHS vs. the rest of the State in this catagory also. Surprizing so many made the grades, looks like 80% of the team or better!

March 12, 2004
email: In defense of some parents & youth wrestling

comments: After reading many posts regarding youth wrestling & parents there are some factors not considered. I have had the great FORTUNE of being directly and/or indirectly involved for many years with youth wrestling. My oldest is 24 and she has probally had every wrestling move put on her by her brothers throughout the years and in most cases it is very funny. At least until she gets mad and hits her brothers with the closest thing she can get her hands on or yells "STOP" or I am telling Dad.

Now comes my defense of some Moms and Dads. Most have never wrestled and to see a child (male or female)go onto the mat can certainly be an emotional experience. These are the parents that are prone to keep the kids active in the sport. They will mature as much as the kids do throughout the years. I know I did and I have actively been involved with some sort of contact sport for as long as I can remember. Let's face it, it takes character as a parent to endure day long tournaments, practices that some kids would never finish if not encouraged by these parents along with the kids who have achieved some degree of being called a quality wrestler because they were pushed.

For those of us who have been around, let's tell these parents(when needed)to slow down a bit, don't get discouraged, let the coaches do thier job, etc etc. Sort of what we tell kids that are working hard to get their hand raised. We can not forget the kids who get through every season with little effort given without quitting. Who can deny this will not benefit them latter in life.

After much thought about youth wrestling, I see change in myself throughout the years, learned lessons by mistakes which have benefitted and the realization that each kid is different.

My hat is off to these parents, meet directors and the kids who endure the sport.

With all that said ... there is a reason they keep score .. to see who wins. For a minute there I sounded like I was going on OPRAH!

http://www.wpmac.com

March 12, 2004
email: brentster@casinternet.net
comments: Thanks for bringing Pelphrey to my attention. It was a complete oversight on my part. I could blame it on the sort routine but the truth is I did not place his finishes in the proper sequence. I will get Shane included in the next update (version 4.2). Thanks, Brent

March 12, 2004
comments: Here is my Dutton Award Top 10
1. Lou Thomas
2. Shane Smith
3. Justin Ashley
4. Casey Hughes
5. Kyle Turnbell
6. Robert Shyver
7. Brandon Rader
8. Anthony Easter
9. Ryan Dearman
10. Shaun Smith

March 12, 2004
comments: Can anyone tell me when Mike Mason is having his camps this year?

March 12, 2004
comments: This is something that is puzzling me, Did WVU try to recruit Lou Thomas from Parkersburg? Or is there another reason Lou chose not to attend, like scholarships are not like Football or Basketball? From what I heard he is going to Pitt.

March 12, 2004
comments: hey anyone know when the senior nationals are and how u sign up for it if u r state champ

March 12, 2004
comments: Linville the 215 from Hurricane looks to be a front runner for a top 3 spot next year. He did not finish in the top six this year, but I believe this was his 1st full year of wrestling ever.

He finished 2nd in region 4 behind eventual state runner up Hutchison. I think he only lost by 2.

March 11, 2004
email: comments: To Takedown 242 and any others who feel the need to vent on the Who's Who. Try contacting Brent - his e-mail is posted right above the Who's Who. Yes there were probably some kids left off. With over 500 kids in his database to keep track of - it will happen. Also some coaches and tournaments just don't post results or they are garbled. I have always found Brent to be easy to correspond with and talk to. It appears that the wrestler in question did indeed meet the criteria that is listed. I have watched this wrestler all year and have been quite impressed - especially considering he is a sixth grader. As for "look out next year!" - being vindictive over a somewhat subjective Who's Who is not the answer. After all this list only exists in the minds of those on this forum. It is not a Sagarin rating or an RPI index. It does nothing other than recognize the efforts of those wrestlers who all too often get no publicity at all compared to other sports.

Yes, there were a couple of errors with my team as well. I e-mailed Brent, got a very and polite prompt reply and he will make the needed corrections. All done. Relax and let's don't bite the hand that feeds us. Brent is not a coach to my knowledge. He is not paid for what he does. Just like Dr. Miller, he does it because he loves the sport and wants to see good kids GET recognition not withhold it. Just like the nice Academic All State certificates Dr. Miller buys for all those wrestlers. These guys are doing this for the good of WV Wrestling and the kids. Maybe it is not my place to answer for Brent and the Who's Who but I know he is just too nice a guy to be harshly criticized. Although we have only met once at WSAZ his concern for our sport is apparent. Give the guy a chance to update the list - if you have a concern let him know. His efforts are greatly appreciated. My wrestlers and myself as well as a lot of other teams and coaches do not want the Who's Who to go away due to criticism. Just like the rest of this website it is a vital link between those of us in the state who feel a connection to the sport.

March 11, 2004
comments: To spectator: Another AA/A 275 pounder to look for is Heath Shirley from Point Pleasant. Improved alot this season. He's a light 275, and with the weight he'll gain over the next year, he'll be much better. watch out for him next season!

March 11, 2004
comments: who will be going to the middle atlantic wrestling association tourny. at parkersburg south

March 11, 2004
comments: National Champions come from these tournaments: FILA Cadet Nationals, Fargo Cadet and Junior National Freestyle and Greco Championships, Senior Nationals. I'm sure there are more but please dont mention NHSCA qualifiers as national championship tournaments. Eastern nationals and VA beach tournies like that dont have 48 states represented at the tournament......you gotta wrestle the best in the US and beat them to be considered a national champ.

March 11, 2004
comments: No one gave me their predictions for the AA/A 275 class next year. It REALLY emptied out. I know of one boy from calhoun coming up as a freshman. and Fulmer from wirt will be a sophomore. I think Fulmer has great potential. He will be one to watch in the next 3 years. Any other comments?

March 11, 2004
comments: I regard to the question about who chooses the Dutton Award Winner... I believe it is chosen by the liberal intelligencia

March 11, 2004
comments: Next year I hope they add a couple of classes to the 11-12 yr. olds. 130 to HWT is just a little much. Randy Tallhammer and Frank Settle both gave up 25 + pounds in this division. The good thing they both placed in the top 6. Maybe a 145# and a 165# then Hwt. I think more kids would wrestle this classes. The truth is the kids are getting bigger so should the sport!

March 11, 2004
comments: Anyone interested in putting a team together and going to the NHSCA state duals at the end of May?

March 11, 2004
comments: One thing my kid has gotten out of youth wrestling is the excuses for losing have left and he is starting to win by his loses in the past. It took a year, but learning from a loss is making him the better wrestler. It shocked me when he came off the mat earlier this year , when I though he had a kid pinned and he told me that in fact he hadn't and excepted the loss. The next time he wrestled the kid, he did pin him. So watching a kid grow and be humble is a great feat for Youth Wrestling.

March 11, 2004
comments: Hey everyone go to www.realprowrestling.com some people are trying to start a league

March 11, 2004
March 11, 2004
comments: Regarding the comments from South Patriot Mom, March 10th. I agree with you 100%. Some parents need to get over the small stuff. Just be thankful every day that you have a child that is healthy and has the ability to wrestle. Winning, losing, waiting in line, questionable calls, sitting in bleachers....some people that are not blessed with good health do not even have the ability to leave their homes, so be thankful every day that you are able to face these minor inconveniences. Try to teach the children this, too, as they learn by example at a very early age.

March 11, 2004
comments: Weight Classes
There is a rumor that the National Federation is cutting the number of weight classes for high school wrestling from 14 to 12 classes. Possible weight classes are:
108,115,123,130,137,145,152,160,171,189,215,275. This should create some interesting situations for high school wrestling. Many think that high school wrestling is watered down with two classes and fourteen weight classes. Going back to twelve weight classes will mean less hiding places and better wrestling.

March 11, 2004
comments: Are the Parkersburg Jr.State Championships results going to be posted?
Editor's note: If/when I get them, they will be posted.

March 11, 2004
comments: Yes, the WPIAL has been dominant against the OVAC a couple times. But, the OVAC has smashed the MAC from PA the last two years. It appeared to me that both had watered-down lineups as the champs from these conferences were often not seniors, so not permitted to represent their conferences. I think its time for the WPIAL to come on back. We welcome the competition. Wood County and Oak Glen together would make a formidable opponent, and you know they didn't dominate ALL of the weight classes. I do think that more than one practice should preceed these events. Many wrestlers already appeared a little rusty.

Last night's match saw lots of wrestlers with few yearly honors go out and wrestle all-out against more decorated wrestlers, and do well. The more decorated wrestlers need to leave their records at home and come prepared to war, not defend past glories. Just a natural reaction (trying to wrestle not to lose, instead of trying to win), but an unfortunate one for your team. Regardless, the fact that you have such outstanding accolades obviously means that you are warriors worthy of the honor given you. Great season all OVAC standouts.
Yours,
A very proud father!!

March 11, 2004
email: bc_ralton@seovec.org
comments: I would like to know the dates for next years WSAZ tournament or the name/address of someone who would know. Thank you.

March 11, 2004
comments: This year at the Jr. States we did not write the age/weight on the kids arms, we just stamped them after they passed skin and nail checks and weighed in. My kids came in at 7:30 to weigh in by that time most of the kids where long gone. All this BS that Wood Co. didn't weigh in is crap. The kids look differant with clothes on and people couldn't verify the kids w/o the age/weight on their arm. This was done to speed things up and so kids wouldn't be running all over the place to see who was in their class. I guess it worked.

March 11, 2004
comments: About the comments on winning and Youth wrestling only being a stepping stone to Middle School and High School. I beg to differ. Not saying those are some wise words from the others. Yes it does hurt my heart to see parents cussing each other, jumping on the refs, and even expecting more from their kids than they are even capable in their life at this time. I coach youth football and the last two years we won the championship in our league. YOUNG men like to win. This is why I like wrestling along with football. In youth basketball here they dont keep score but I assure you the boys do. I have seen it. If you go out hunting at 10:30 in the morning and come back at 2:30 in the afternoon because your cold you probably wont win (shoot a deer). Competition, training, being mentored by heros, and the such is the fun of sports. Winning is the goal. Right now my boy wants to win at Fairmont and I will encourage this but I will set back and let the coaches do their job and if the refs make a mistake I will shut my mouth and let the coach address it (because refs arent perfect) and just enjoy the outcome of the great wrestling. Ask your kid what he thinks about high school at 9 years old and all he will tell you is what you want to hear. Parents enjoy you kids today and encourage them to win and to accept a loss. Remember outcomes of thes tournaments do mean a great deal to you kids but dont let it mean more to you than them. At least fake that part. I challange everyon to read a book called WILD AT HEART by John Eldredge. Please try to get your wives to read it also. Its all about the kids. Remember live for the moment tomorrow may never come. Love All

March 11, 2004
comments: I would like to start this off by commending the editor and praise him for his dedication and time to this site. Please keep this in mind if any of my following comments seem overly critical. There is no way I would spend any amount of my time sorting through all this stuff to decide what to post. Maybe it's all the "good" stuff we don't get to see that makes it interesting. Or maybe it's the power one feels having the control as to what gets posted? Possibly, but I still wouldn't take the job. What is interesting is what gets posted and what some complain that doesn't. I agree with protecting the kids at all costs. I've had a few posts that I innocently and accidentally mentioned a kids name in a way that I didn't think was critical, but when it wasn't posted I somewhat understood the possible reasoning. I agree with this approach. Better safe than sorry because the last thing I want is to have any negative effect on the kids. However, posting some of the recent allegations from anonymous posters seems very derogatory to individuals whose identity is known. Yet at times the editor tells others that he does not want to risk the charge of slander or libel. No, I'm not the guy who complains that his posts keep getting deleted. I'm just surprised that a lot of this stuff got through.

I'm sure the adults can handle this, but why contribute to rumors. Tell them if they have a scoop on major wrongdoing the take it to the newspaper. The news media really loves dirt, so if it's really true you've got front page news.

The final point, which the editor frequently points out, is that the info. on here is worth less than a grain of salt. I too will be hiding behind the vail of anonymity so my comments also carry no true worth. I have placed many posts here over the past few months under many different names, all for fun.

I've been supperman to Superman, Fe to Iron, Panhandle resident to some others. I even wrote a best seller entitled, Tale of the 2 Smiths, maybe you read it. Shoot, I've even poked good natured fun at Lloyd Christmas. However, I am not in any way involved in the Jr. States (you'll just have to take my word) and there have been other youth tournaments that have been slandered on here without the facts being known. I love the wrestling info. portion of the forum, just not the belly-aching. I guess we all have a right to our opinions. I just wouldn't allow posts that make accusations of lying, cheating and dishonesty of known individuals in the fashion that has been done. By the way, I must confess, I am guilty of helping to administer the Helium enemas to all the Wood County wrestlers to help them make weight. That's why they weren't seen at weigh-ins, they were all floating up near the ceiling. Pizza anyone?

Editor's note: I'll accept any criticism which comes my way concerning comments which get posted here concerning the Youth States. The comments/complaints which we have been reading about recently are the same as those I heard years ago.

I attended my first Parkersburg youth states with my kids back in the late 1980's, and attended several years. However, I have not been on the youth circuit for several years.

I attended a few meetings several years ago which involved youth coaches from various parts of the state and the Parkersburg coaches/Youth States officials. The "non-Wood County" coaches wanted to attempt to come to some agreement which would allow the "Youth States" to rotate around to various areas of the state each year allowing other schools or organizations to hold the "Youth State Tourament." This is similar to the sentiment which arises from time to time from people who would wish to have the state High School tournament somewhere other than Huntington once in a while. At least two such meetings were held in Clarksburg as I recall.

Let me be so bold as to say that these meetings generated more heat than light.

I understand the Wood County position at that time - the "Youth States" event has always been in Parkersburg and the Wood county delegation seemed disinclined to change the status quo.

The non-Wood county coaches, on the other hand, took the position that youth wrestling is growing in popularity in this state, so why cannot the "official" youth championship tournament be conducted under the auspices of a group of coaches or tournament officials from throughout the state, and the tournament proceeds be shared in some way.

As I said, no resolution was forthcoming, and this led to the establishment of the "Alternate Youth States" which has been held in various locations in recent years.

It occurs to me that if a tournament bills itself as some kind of a State Championship Tournament, then the question is "Under whose authority do you presume to be the state championship tournament?" The state High School tournament is conducted under the auspices of the WVSSAC. Other championship tournaments are conducted under the auspices of AAU, USA Wrestling, etc. Who sanctions either of the youth tournaments in WV which have the words state and championship in their title?

If a coach has concerns over the conduct of a tournament, to whom does he address his concerns? If it is the High School state tournament, his concerns can be addressed through the WVSSAC, of which the school principals have a voice/vote in the goings on. There is a WVSSAC wrestling coaches committee to appeal to, made up of coaches across the state, to whom the coach can discuss issues with. If a large number of coaches and principals have serious concerns about how the WVSSAC conducts its business, presumably these people could change things by making changes in the WVSSAC administration.

If coaches have questions/concerns regarding the conduct of a youth tournament which has the words state and championship in their title, how can their concerns be addressed? I think that the crux of the issue is contained in your post....
"However, posting some of the recent allegations from anonymous posters seems very derogatory to individuals whose identity is known..... Tell them if they have a scoop on major wrongdoing the take it to the newspaper."

I realize that it is a fine line, but I don't see the complaints/allegations as being directed to any specific individual, but rather to the institutional organization of the event. So, who should parents/coaches take their concerns to? And taking it to the newspaper is not the answer. Should they attend the next meeting of the Wood County Recreation Commission? Should they attend the next meeting of the Wood County Junior Wrestling League?

Hats off to Mr. Dunbar for putting his name and phone number on the entry form so that folks with questions know who to contact, and he is to be commended for his response which has appeared on this forum, which also contains his address and phone number, to which I suggest that further input be directed.

Every year, I receive posts similar to the ones we have read this year, and have deleted most. Things never seem to change. I can assure you that not all complaints have been posted this year or in year's past. Apparantly, entries to this event this year were at an all time high. Whether this represents a vote of confidence for the status quo, or reflects the increasing popularity of youth wrestling in WV, or both, can be debated.

And so, I am gonna conclude that allowing some of the "vents" to appear in this forum has done some good. Perhaps those with concerns can contact the appropriate party and some resolution be found.

Regarding other youth tournaments, I did let a post through this year about someone complaining about a youth tournament for a number of issues, including using bathroom scales for weigh-ins. As I recall, I deleted the name of the tournament (maybe I messed up and didn't, and if so I'll stand corrected). I posted this as a word to the wise tournament director that use of bathroom scales for weigh-in be done at your own risk, lest you find yourself with a gym full of unhappy campers! Also, a complaint about another event got by me, because, frankly, I didn't recognize that it was a local event someone was complaining about, or didn't read closely enough.

March 11, 2004
comments: In response to the comment that youth state championships dont mean jack, you should be ashamed of yourself and know that yes that was a stupid thought. Everyone thinks these kids should just be preparing to wrestle in high school and holding these high school wrestlers up as idols. PLEASE! Is that the kind of attitude these kinds are supposed to look up to? Hey, I am better than you and your accomplishment doesnt mean anything. Give me a break. Of course wrestling is not everything. It has been my experience that these little guys already have more accomplishments than high school wrestling. The point is, maybe you need to keep your ego in check and try to have some intelligent and enlightening thoughts and less of the stupid thoughts.

Secondly, everyone needs to keep in mind that although every tournament has a meet director, aside from referees, everyone else is a volunteer. A lot of these volunteers don't even have kids wrestling so lets try to keep this in mind when we think we have something negative to comment on. Ask yourself what you contributed and why these gracious volunteers deserve this kind of disrespect.

Finally, the officials at the jr states were not involved with the wrestling aspect of the tournament therefore would have nothing to gain from cheating. These people also were all volunteers and do not deserve the disrespect being shown on this forum. These people do not deserve to give up their friday night to volunteer their time and their professionalism only to be degraded on the internet.

March 11, 2004
comments: buddy
I really dont care what you think. Everyone has an opinion about it. I just went on who i saw this year who werent seniors and will be back next year. So why dont you get over it and make your own top 10 for AAA heavyweight prediction if you dont like mine.

March 11, 2004
comments: Speaking of freestyle.....last year was brandon rader and lou thomas's first year in freestyle and they did exceptionally well at Fargo....the toughest national summer tournament. Both just a couple wins away from placing.

March 11, 2004
comments: all this talk of the jr states but the $20,000 question is were is the result

March 10, 2004
comments: I don't know how you could've missed Shane Pelfrey in the who's who...just no respect all year in seatings...wsaz only tourny not to place in....no excuses though look out next year
95 cammack inv.
1. Jeremy Page - AJ 5-0
2. Shane Pelfrey - Cammack 4-1
3. Sam Simmons - Milton 3-2
4. Rodney Roberts - Milton 2-3

trojan inv....95 Third Place: Simmons (Mil) over Pelfrey (Cam) by Fall

95: pp olympic pool...1st- Mason Bailey (EF) 2nd-Ray Gandee (PP) 3rd- Cody Clarkson (SP) 4th- Shane Pelfrey (Cam)

95 Pounds wood county dools
Foore Westshore 5 - 0
Molinari Blennerhassett 4 - 1
Pelfrey Cammack 3 - 2
Sandy Edison 3 - 2
Williamson Beverly Hills 3 - 2
McCoy Elkview 2 - 2
Santoferraro North Akron 2 - 2
McClung Western Greenbrier 1 - 3
tsmc...1st 90 Evan Thompson Milton2 5- 0
2nd 90 James Setliff Milton 3- 1
3rd 90 Shane Pelfrey Cammack 4- 1
4th 90 Ray Gandee Point Pleasant 3- 2
5th 90 Miciah Branch Wahama 4- 2
6th 90 Calvin Bench McKinley 5- 3

cabell county camp.
1st Shane Pelfrey Cammack 2- 0
2nd Setliff Milton 1- 1
3rd Johnson Milton 2 2- 1
4th Thacker Beverly Hills 1- 2

i know these don't count but 1st at charleston tourny....2 at point....4th at jr state all at 95lbs i think that deserves a who's who

March 10, 2004
comments: Any webpages have video links or pictures from the state tournament AAA?

March 10, 2004
comments: re: Greg P.
I do not agree with you comment about WV not having the personal within the state to serve as Greco/freestyle coaches. I know you listed like 3 names...but there are many more than you realize who would be able to do a good job coaching....especially freestyle. When I was growing up my youth team wrestled freestyle tournaments, obviously outside of WV. As we got older we went to the US Cadet trials in NY and our wrestlers did well. We had one wrestler place second in the Cadet world tournament. Anyways, Im only saying there are more people out there who could do a good job teaching freestlye or whatever style of wrestling you want it to be, in the state of WV. It is just a matter of getting those type of tournaments taking place within the state. I do not see it really happening though. But not for a lack of potential coaches.

March 10, 2004
comments: Once again my words have been mis-understood. I DID NOT say anything against jr. states. I think pee-wee wrestling is great for the kids. I said parents put to much pressure on the wrestlers to win. Winning is fine but they are there to learn. You said we lose kids to basketball--maybe they are burned out. I did not berate anyones team. Yes most of our middle school wrestlers do travel with some of the pee-wee parents after their season is over.I commend them for the extra work they do in the off season. Again the main reason for pee-wee wrestling is to teach the fundamentals--NO MORE----NO LESS!!!!!!

March 10, 2004
comments: Today (March 10) I am seeing posts about youth states. One post in particular grabs my attention, the post by vammit on march 10. I have to agree with her 100% about youth wrestling just being preparation for middle school and beyond. Being an old Oak Glen wrestler there is one lesson that get's pounded into your head, that is to have mat confidence and awareness. I didn't start wrestling until my seventh grade year but look back now and somewhat regret not having started earlier. Parents do have to realize how valuable starting early is but to lay off of their kids when their in YOUTH wrestling. When I see parents yelling at refs for youth matches it just makes me sick. Let your kid imrpove his confidence and technique and quit getting all strung up (you will have enough tension in HS). I would like to reiterate on a last post about jr. states being worthless. I would have to agree that a youth title means JACK, but it is still a good stepping stone for the start of a new career. With that said, parents take a chill pill. If you keep up like this you will have gray hair by the time your kid's in third grade (if you don't already from all the screaming and yelling). ITS YOUTH WRESTLING, LET THEM ENJOY AND SHUT UP!

March 10, 2004
comments: any truth to this i have seen it in some articles lately. could someone let me know if they know anything about this.

Look for the weight classes to be reduced from 14 to 12 next year. The proposed weight classes are 108, 115, 123, 130, 137, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215 and 275. The National Federation of High Schools, the governing body of interscholastic sports rules, will review and probably vote on the new proposal.

March 10, 2004
comments: Youth tournament=enough already!! Just send in the results and live with it!

March 10, 2004
comments: kris wilcoxen-i appreciate your comments about dakota as well as he does.both zach and dakota are great kids,and dakota would never get better if he didnt have kids like zach,aaron,and briar to wrestle.you are right,there will be many more matches between these kids and both boys are good examples of what sportsmanship is.once again thank you.....

March 10, 2004
comments: Hey wretstlingfan60 that is by far the worst prediction i have ever seen for the HWT ever

March 10, 2004
comments: As an outside observer Mineral Wells has an outstanding bunch of young kids. I would like to congratulate Todd Barker on his 3-peat. 3 years of wrestling and 3 State Championships. I would also congratulate Adam Metz 5 peat, Tyler Dickel 2peat, Briar Shively A national Title along with a 2peat State winner and 4 total I believe. Caleb Norman 4X winner, Jeremy Corbitt 4X winner,Travis Fordyce a 2 peat, and Braxton Johnson his first. Mineral Wells had many other great finishes too. Where do they find these kids for recreation program? Unbelivable. Just goes to show that maybe private clubs aren't better. None of the kids listed above are over 13 but Tyler Dickel and Jeremy Corbitt join Adam Metz at Edison next year so everyone better take notice. Great Job and keep up the hard work its paying off.

March 10, 2004
comments: who ever left out jon myles from western greenbrier in the whos who among the teams and weight classes dont know what they are talking about. I seen him pin Cody Rife at the BNI and Point pleasant, and beat Derick Rice twice.i just thought that people would like to no that and you need to watch out for him next year.

March 10, 2004
comments: McCloud and Bosley should be top guys in the North and the South will most likely dominate the entire State again.McCloud might be more productive next year. After seeing him beat hurricane in 30 secs and than he threw up he looked pretty sick so he could be alot better next year.

March 10, 2004
comments: I personally conducted the weigh ins and for someone to say that the local youth did not weigh in is absurd. We had several "local" kids that had to come back Sat and weigh in because they were over weight. I never question anyones integrety and certainly don't appreciate someone questioning mine. We worked just as hard keeping our kids at weight just as everyone else. If you dont believe me ask some Brooke coaches tha seen us at Comfort Suites with our kids as they were with theirs.

March 10, 2004
comments: OVAC All stars vs. Mac All Stars
Does anyone have the results of the above match last night at Brooke High?

March 10, 2004
comments: To whom it may concern. I don't know where you people get off saying that the kids from wood county did not weigh in. My son was at the gym running his butt of from 2-5 to make weight. which he did when he weighed in THAT NIGHT at south. Shame on you! Sounds like to me it's ALL sour grapes. Yes the line was long,and YES we had a pizza party for our boys,AFTER weigh ins. It is insulting when you accuse these boys of not following the rules. As a former cheerleading coach and a PROUD wrestler mom. I think that we forget as parents that the sports are for our kids. As I was humbly reminded this weekend. Sure the line was long. You had what 200-300 wrestlers waiting in line? Give the people doing the job a break. Be happy that you have a healthy child that has the ability to wrestle and the health to do so. So many parents are not as fortunate as us, to have to go stand in a line for weigh ins, to sit for 12 hours on a bench for 3 minutes of glory, in one of our childs life victorys. Be happy to do for your healthy,happy child what you can,while you can. My son goes on to south next year. My the time has flown when this little man wrestled his first year in JR STARES at 6 and under 45lb weight class, enjoy parents and RELAX!! I love ya bud!

March 10, 2004
comments: one last comment on the so called 10 teams combined from swv, the truth is, it was 3 teams with 20+ kids and 1 team with 9 kids,if we would of came there and not placed nothing would of been said. this is not the first time teams have combined to form 1 team mt. state has done it in years past before, im just here to say im very proud of all the kids that competed and done well from our league (WESTERN GREENBRIER, RALEIGH WEST, YOUNG GUNS, SHADY SPRING, OAK HILL). the championship trophy was even sweeter after reading the p.burg paper on sat. morning, when one of the local coaches from the p.burg area said even with their 100 conglomerated kids I STILL DONT THINK THEYLL HAVE ENOUGH THANKS FOR A GOOD TOURN.

March 10, 2004
comments: The kid from Nitro was Jordan Allen in the Kenny Chertow singlet. He was a 7 year old who had wrestled 45 lbs. all year. He moved up to 47 lbs. The wrestler from Wirt was Sam Modisset. Jordan made it to the finals but ran into a very good wrestler from Mineral Wells (Todd Barker) who won his 2nd state championship. As far as the tournament, Rick Dunbar is a very nice guy and did a very good job. Thanks to all Wood Co. coaches. Look forward to seeing you next year.

March 10, 2004
comments: hey yacatan man george young finish in the state at tie for 7th places that boy is a very good wrestler and has a descent auditte. he will finish higher next year watch out for him. he is well respected.

March 10, 2004
comments: I would like to give a loud "amen" to I B Olds 3/10 post.

March 10, 2004
comments: I am going to throw my two cents for what its worth into the controversy regarding team points and how they are earned. Having been involved with wrestling for a few years now I think the following ideas might work with everyone concerned.

If youth wrestling is to teach or prepare kids for Middle/Jr High School then lets keep points like these schools do in their tournaments. If you have more than one kid per weight class, you have wrestle offs to determine the best wrestler.

That wrestler then becomes the team scorer for the first string team and the others become the second team wrestler or third team wrestler or however many kids in that weight class.

In other words put one kid per weight class per age group. It would look something like this at the Jr. States.

4 and under would have 5 kids
5 and 6 would have 9 kids
7 and 8 would have 12 kids
9 and 10 would have 12 kids
11 and 12 would have 13 kids
total 51 kids per team

I really don't know how well received this will be but it is the most fair way possible that I know of just my two cents worth.

March 10, 2004
comments: To everyone that had anything to do with the Jr states last weekend.....very good job.Sure some things could have been better. To only be perfect..what would we do! The plaques for the 13-15 age groups were a great change. I think I liked them better than the trophies.Keep up the good work Parkersburg...it's all for our kids.
M Lindamood

March 10, 2004
comments: Two years ago when Oak Glen was fifth in the OVAC they won the WV state AA trophy. Every conference has its good and bad years. This year the OVAC heavyweight finals featured TWO returning OHIO state champions. Not bad. But several wt. classes were weak. That's the way it goes. The WPIAL (Western Pennsylvania) diced up the OVACs two years ago and soundly beat the WV state champions when they wrestled back in the 1980s as a prelude to the Dapper Dan classic. Both the OVACs and WV are improving but still far behind PA.

March 10, 2004
comments: I read Varmint's post about how great things are at Oak Glen and how the jr. state tournament is irrelevant to them. Great. They are located between Ohio and PA and can get alot of competition. Some of the kids in middle and Southern WV look forward to meeting kids from throughout the state. As to jr. high wrestlers, ages 13-15, what's wrong with them staying involved after the short jr. high season ends. Those middle school years are when we lose alot of kids to basketball. I know for a fact that jr. high wrestlers at OG work out with their pee wee program after the jr. high season ends and I think it's great.

March 10, 2004
comments: Many of us who could not make it to Parkersburg are eagerly awaiting the posting of jr. state results. Last year they submitted them by Tuesday. Hope they will get them in.

March 10, 2004
comments: whoever is saying stuff about our team shouldn't talk about us our team of kids work just as hard as any one elses kids. I'm very proud of our team for doing as good as they did at the jr. states this year.

March 10, 2004
comments: I brought my son to the States this weekend. I agree that the weigh ins were not as organized as last year but I believe that was due to the other event going on at the same time. The thing that bothered me was that at 6:30 they had run out of bracket sheets. We had the forms in a week earlier than the past and the fact that they ran out in the first half hour was very bothersome. The other thing that was very bothersome was the amount of time some children had to wait to wrestle. They warm up at 8:30-9:00 and don't wrestle until 3 or 4 how are they expected to be ready. Then they wait for another 5 hours to wrestle again. I saw one comment about the tournament being done before dark but that was far from true in our case. My son was one of the last matches. He was tired, hungry and just wanted to be finished. Another one of his team mates had his first match at 7:30 at night. He was there for 12 hours before he ever wrestled, too long for young kids. Ove! rall I know it is VERY hard to run a tournament with that many kids but there might have been a few things that could have been done better.

March 10, 2004
comments: Congratulations Lou Thomas for going on to wrestle in college! Good luck at Pitt! We'll be cheering for you.

March 10, 2004
email: dunbar.fowler@charter.net

comments: Please accept this as Wood County Jr. Wrestling's Formal Response to inquiries made on this forum regarding this past weekend's Jr. State Wrestling Tournament.

First of all, we appreciate your comments, both good and bad. From weigh-ins to trophies, we strive to make the tournament the best we can.

Year in and year out, there are those who accuse us of cheating to benefit our local wrestlers. It simply does not happen. This upsets me for a few reasons. One is the fact that you are questioning a lot of people's integrity, not just mine. The second and perhaps the worst is that you are discrediting the hard work and abilities of our local wrestlers. Do they need to gain an upperhand to win? I don't think so. This ridiculous notion is dispelled by looking at the Junior High and High School results.

Everyone of our local wrestlers weigh-in just as every other wrestler does. They do not weigh-in late. They do not weigh-in early. And they are certainly not given any weight. We have taken additional steps with the hope of eliminating any doubt by having weightlifting officals who are not associated in any way with our local teams to conduct the verification of weights. It is certainly disinheartening to continue to hear such unfounded accusations.

With respect to the placement of unseeded wrestlers, we will consider the possibility of doing this randomly at the seeding meeting. However, don't complain if the seeding meeting extends to 8-9 hours.

I can tell you that the placement of unseeded wrestlers this year was done completely random with the exception of moving wrestlers from the same team from meeting in the first two rounds. I personally placed all the wrestlers by myself without the help from any coach from any team. (I'm not a coach).

In addition, there were no out of state wrestlers in the tournament to our knowledge. One situation was brought to our attention at the seeding meeting regarding a youngster with one parent living in the state and the other in another state. The youngster had wrestled for a West Virginia team the entire year which was confirmed and supported by another opposing team. It was discussed and approved by the coaches that he should be allowed to wrestle. In past years, we have also approved entries from split homes where the wrestler has wrestled for a West Virginia team the entire year. In all cases during my involvement, one of the wrestler's parents have resided in the state of W.Va.

Please keep in mind that there are essentially 8-10 teams that help to some degree to put on this tournament. What a conspiracy it would be if we got all of these, otherwise, rival teams to help each other gain an advantage unfairly.

Unfortunately, those who make accusations against us on this forum never include their name on their message. I find this troubling. If you have any questions about our integrity after reading this message and would like to discuss your concerns, please feel free to contact me by telephone (304) 863-8430 or write to me at PO Box 123, Parkersburg, WV 26102.

In response to those complaints and suggestions that are more well deserving of a response.

Weigh-Ins - I was not happy with the long lines at weigh-ins on Friday night and we will do something to correct this problem for next year. However, in our defense, I must say that we started on time and there was not one person in line after 8:00 (ending time at 8:30). The problem which we run into is that we cannot get into the gyms to set up until after 5:00 and there are usually many wrestlers there by that time. In fact, I had people showing up at the school at 3:15 pm.

Trash Clean-Up - It would simply eliminate the problem all together if everyone threw away their own trash. Realistically, this does not happen. I apologize to anyone who was asked or "told" to pick up trash. I believe the incident discussed on this forum was an isolated incident and probably resulted from the frustrations of a volunteering parent.

Crowded Facility - We understand that various areas were conjested. We are simply a victim of our own success. This year we had over 800 entries in the tournament versus 500-600 just 4-5 years ago. We are going to have to explore different formats or locations for the tournament to address this growing problem. By the way, I apologize to any of the coaches or parents who might have been offended by me asking them to leave the floor if there wrestler was not on-deck. My requests to every one of you were made simply to help with the congestion which has been complained about.

Despite the problems discussed above, it is my belief that the competition at this year's tournament was the best that I have ever seen. This is a direct compliment to all of the coaches and wrestlers from across the state.

I would like to thank all the coaches from across the state who participated in the Seeding Meeting, as well as, those who helped out during the tournament.

Thanks again to the referees who did an excellant job.

Rick Dunbar

March 10, 2004
comments: I would like to congradulate the nitro yout wrestlers that went to jr. states.Ten kids went and seven placed from pee wee.
6u phillop knopp 4th place 41p
6u dylan flint 4th place hvwt
7&8 Jordan allen 2nd place
drew kirby 3rd place
9&10 matt dunbar 4th place
ritchie burford 5th place
sam dunbar 6th place
jaromey page 2nd place
seth easter 1st place
GREAT JOB GUYS

March 10, 2004
March 10, 2004
comments: I watched the Jr. States this weekend and i think that the team championship was unfair because southern west virginia had way to many wrestlers i think that 25 should be the limit for scoring points for your team i think if southern west va. had an allstar team with 25 or less kids that would have been alright but having nearly 100 that is way toom much!!!!

March 10, 2004
comments: about the Rader-Tucker debate...
We'll never know. However though, since these individuals will both be back next year, you could try to encourage coach Scheny or Coach Sidon to invite the other to a quad...

March 10, 2004
comments: Can anyone answer who actually chooses the Dutton award winner?

March 10, 2004
comments: I would like to say that i was none to happy with the Jr. States this year. It was good until it came down to my child wrestling his last match at 8:30 at night. Un cool. By then any child who has been there that long are not interested and not caring.I just think that it could have been delayed untill next day and if your child was one of the last to wrestle they didnt get out until 8:30 -9:00 and had to be back by nine. Rough on all.Although some changes made were good. I would just like to see some changes about the late wrestling.

March 10, 2004
comments: congratulations to all kids at youth states.you all are winners.but i would like to say,maybe southern west virginia didnt combine ten teams,but the thought of any teams combining for the sole purpose of winning a tourney is not sending a good message to the kids.i think we shouldnt be teaching them a `win at all cost'.kinda like the nfc sending a all-star team to the super bowl.i want to thank parkersburg for a great tournament.good job.

March 10, 2004
comments: Lou Thomas has verbally committed to The University of Pittsburgh.

March 10, 2004
comments: Can someone please tell me what AAA WV teams wrestled in the Brooke Touurnement at the beginning of the year. Im thinking of getting my team in it for next year.

March 10, 2004
comments: I would like to just take a second and address a couple issues. First of all, hats off to Rick Dunbar. Rick I think you did a wonderful job with the States this year. Second, as a mother of wood county wrestlers, I will put to rest the rumor that we don't weigh-in. Guess what, we weigh in just as everyone else does. Trust me I've stood in those lines. Also to the person who was upset about the matches being stopped for a lost little boy. That little boy was not running around! He had fallen asleep on the bleachers in a different section. Shame on you for assuming all parents let there kids run the halls! There were a lot of good matches and some great upsets this weekend. I hope next year can be as good if not better. One last thing, to the parent about food poisoning, if your son got food poisoning, we're sorry. But there was a horrible stomach virus going around. I had to scratch my son Saturday from the tourney because he got it.

March 10, 2004
comments: To yeah,Rock,Old Ram,Iron, WVgutwrench & Buddy. You guys are taking up a lot of space with nothing.A lot of wrestlers are planning to go to Va. Beach Tourn. and you are playing with their minds.The NHSCA is the sponcer of the Sr. Nationals in Clev.,Ohio. Click on other wrestling links, click on National High School Coach's Assoc. link and read all about them. I've been to all the tourn. you guys have been yacking about. They all are excelent and each has a purpose. Take the time to read about their history, their intent and their reason for their tourns.

March 10, 2004
comments: Just to say something about youth wrestling compared to Middle/ Jr High wrestling. People say that wrestling does not matter till you get to High school. If that is true than who cares about middle school versus youth. The facts are if you wrestle in state all the time than you are better off going with the school. But, some people travel all over in PA.,OH., and every where else. This is far better than Middle school/Jrhigh. If it is all about high school than why not just leave people alone and let them do what they feel best for their own situation. When all these kids get to high school we will see who is more prepared.

March 10, 2004
comments: Rick Dunbar did some great things organizing the junior states this year.Next year it will be even better. He was even professional enough to call my home on a few different matters.I think he will do a great job!! But I do have a few suggestions.
1) About weigh-ins, I have been coming to this tournament for years and have been at the door at 6pm many of those years for weigh-ins and NEVER see hardly any wood county kids. Do you weigh them by themselves? Not this year but last year we weighed at 6pm as soon as it opened. We left to go eat and Mineral Wells was at the restaurant having a pizza party. Their is no possble human way they weighed in when we did. That pizza party had been going on for a long time. Too many people see this happening and say the same thing for it just to be a rumor.If this is all false than why not have coaches from other teams watch and mark off names at weighin. For the credibility of this tournament you should do this!!!!
2) Combining teams is not a true state champion. SWV had somewhere near 100 kids from several teams.One team not even from the same county. People scream,"it is about the kids", seems to me it is about winning for these teams. Let's see wood county put together all their kids and what happens.
3)Do not have staging areas if you have bout numbers. That is the purpose of bout numbers. Wrestlers go straight to the mat. I saw many wrestlers wait over an hour(yes, I'm not exaggerating) just in the staging area. That is crazy. Hope you will at least consider some of these suggestions. Do feel though it is without a doubt the true state tournament and people should come to this one. Thanks Mr.Dunbar for your time and effort.

March 10, 2004
comments: A couple of things I think I think . . .
First, to those who suggested eliminating middle school and jr. high wrestling. This is ludicrous! 1st of all it gives wrestlers who are seldom appreciated a chance to get some recognition from their peers just as Basketball, Football, etc. do. 2nd - School wrestlers are bound to a 2.0 GPA and good behavior by their schools - a club wrestler could be flunking classes and raising he!! and still be allowed to wrestle. Oh, I know, you will say that the club coach wouldn't let them and you may be right in some cases but in the schools, there is no leeway. Most important, the more kids who get involved the better whether it be at some of the fine club teams (well coached, well behaved, sportsmanship, etc.) that exist throughout the state or at their local school. Also, not downing the club experience it is the best route for some, but could it be that perhaps the proponent of this strictly club idea sees the level of competition provided from the school teams creeping up to that of the lofty, expensive club level? Caution - objects in your mirror may be closer than they appear!

March 10, 2004
comments: I THINK THE REASON THERE ARE SO MANY UPSETS IN THE SEMI OR FINALS MATCHES ARE BECAUSE SOME WRESTLERS WRESTLE MORE CONSERVATIVE BECAUSE MAYBE BECAUSE OF THE PRESSURE OR NERVOUSNESS......LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO MITCH AND CHANCE IN THE FINALS. THE BEST FINALS MATCH I SAW WAS 160 NORMAN VS DAVIS...BOTH OF THOSE WRESTLERS ARE TAKEDOWN MACHINES, IT WAS AN EXCITING MATCH TO WATCH. ALSO RHETT NORTHCRAFT IS JUST AMAZING TO WATCH. THE KID DOES SOME UNBELIEVEABLE MOVES.

March 10, 2004
comments: Wood Co. fan The woman handed me three trash bags. There was no one next to me to pass them to. I did not see her hand anyone else trash bags. So FORGIVE me if I was offended.

March 10, 2004
comments: To comments made about Zach Wilcoxen and boy from Charleston:
The boy from Charleston is Dakota Vanbibber, he is a very good wrestler that Zachary has wrestled before, saying Zachary was not on his "A" game is unfair I believe to Dakota, it was a great match and Dakota deserved the win. They both went to Chertow's camp over the summer and respect each other a great deal. I'm sure they will wrestle again in the years to come, but for that tournament Dakota was the winner and deservedly so. GREAT JOB DAKOTA!!!

March 10, 2004
comments: THIS weekend i saw some very good matches.There was a kid that looked to be about #40 pounds wearing a chertow singlet.I do not know where he was from but this kid was very technical wrestler.To my suprise he beat a very good wrestler from wirt county.I love to watch young wrestlers with good skill.
GREAT JUNIOR STATES CANT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

March 10, 2004
comments: who will be the top 10 215 next year

March 10, 2004
comments: To the poster who accidentally stumbled onto the forum and requested information about the neon green and pink singlet styles. I could direct you to one of several individuals but I'm pretty sure you would be best served by speaking in person to Mr. Dan Gable. He is involved in wrestling in the midwest and I'm certain he would like to meet you to discuss this. If you e-mail the editor I'm certain he could put you in touch. Glad to be of help.

March 10, 2004
comments: A couple of responses have been posted after my comment that the OVAC champs were 0 for 5 in the state tournament. It was not really out of ignorance, but possibly more out of arrogance, that I left out Hughes and Potts. You see I was only talking about AAA in my discussion about Rader and Tucker. Don't take this wrong. I think both these guys are good and Hughes, in particular, had a great season and high school career. The reason I'm responding has nothing to do with my first post or the responses. Another thought struck me in pondering my tendency to think in AAA terms only. It was that others probably tend, at times, to think in AA/A mode. This may contribute to some of the posts over the years arguing whether the OVAC is tougher than the WV state tourny. I'm sure for the AA/A teams this is true. However, I'm not sure that the AAA teams would all agree (I can see the follow-up post now from someone labeling themselves "AAA OVAC fan" informing me I'm wrong). Let's put it this way. The second place team at the WV AAA state tourny the last 2 years has beaten the 1st place OVAC tourny teams in duals those same 2 years. As before with my 0 for 5 comment, I'm not slamming the OVAC (because I think Rush, Humphrey, Shaw, Davis and Tominack all are super). I am, and was, just stating facts.

March 10, 2004
comments: Now someone is claiming that Who is among the top ten in heavyweights!? I thought he was at 102. Talk about a growth spurt. Where exactly is this kid from?

March 10, 2004
comments: To: AA/A fan
Give me a break! If you think Rash is better than Green, then just say that. Don't show your ignorance about wrestling with some asinine comment about what the score was in certain matches at this time or that.

March 10, 2004
comments: I read an article on Virginia's state tournament and B.J. Compton won his 4th VA title. Rader beat Compton earlier in the year. Raders amazing.

March 10, 2004
comments: congragulations.ADAM METZ jr. state champ 5 years in a row,TYLER DICKEL 2 YEARS ALSO,and the rest of Mineralwells wrestlers.GREAT JOB DOMINATING THE COUNTY AND AN OUTSTANDING JOB CROWNING 8 STATE CHAMPS.MINERALWELLS POSSIBLY THE BEST YOUNGE TEAM IN THE STATE. GREAT COACHES,GREAT WRESTLERS,DEDICATED PARENTS.

March 10, 2004
comments: I just wanted to congragulate the southern west virginia you team for wining the jr. states, and who ever said that they combined ten teams dont know what they are talking about.

March 10, 2004
comments: i too was at weigh ins from 6-8 on friday and saw not one kid weigh that i recognized as a local wrestler,most of which i can tell you their names.im not saying they didnt weigh,but im saying just not from 6-8.maybe the solution to putting the rumors to rest would be to designate a coach from each team at the seeding meeting to be at weigh ins from start to finish and then their are no rumors.the wrestler who was allowed to weigh late was told no by dunbar who in turn allowed the coaches present to vote and they voted to allow him to weigh.as far as the seeding-take a look at how seeded wrestlers placed and the results will speak for themselves.alot of upsets-dont you think.

March 10, 2004
comments: the kid fron charleston is dakota vanbibber and you cant take anything away from him by saying zach wasnt on his a-game because both kids gave all they had and on that particular day,vanbibber won. congratulations to both wrestlers,they showed true sportsmanship that should be an example to alot of wrestlers i watched this weekend.there will be alot great matches between these two in years to come and i look forward to watching them.great job guys........

March 10, 2004
comments: iam the guy who got upset over wrestling being stopped at the jr states this weekend,when i got upset my son was wrestling in double ot and the ref only said they were stopping all wrestling,nothing about a missing child.i assumed it was being stopped once again because of parents and kids not wrestling being on the floor.once the announcer said why it was stopped-i appoligized to him.but the ultimate responsibility is on parents who let children from age 4-12 run wild in a building with thousands of strangers,so i think if anyone should be ashamed,it should be parents who failed to watch their kids

March 10, 2004
comments: to comments: who is gonna be the top 10 heavywieghts in AAA next year?
1. Josiah Dorton-Parkersbug South
2. Matt Rowsey-Riverside
3. Ryan Cook-Huntington
4. Ben Anderson-Ripley
5. Kevin Staub-Wheeling Park
6. Matthew Bosley-Fairmont Senior
7. Mike Barrett-Hedgesville
8. Charlie McCloud-Elkins
9. Chris Johnson-Hurricane
10. Carl Johnson-Nicholas County

After the top 6 im not really sure but i think this could be how they stack up.

March 10, 2004
comments: Seems to me that the AA-A 275 pound class emptied quite a bit. Anyone agree? And are there any predictions or anyone to watch in the next year or 2? I think Fulmer from Wirt will be a good canidate. Anyone else's opinion?

March 10, 2004
comments: whiz kid-the kid from charleston is dakota vanbibber[sp.?]it was a good match,one of the best this weekend and A game or not both are excellent wrestlers that wrestled their heart out.the charleston kid is a second year wrestler who obvious works hard and is well coached.congrats to all the kids.

March 10, 2004
comments: but fraley didnt make weight.. therefore it would disqualify him from any 103 rankings.

March 10, 2004
comments: I agree with "Tale of two Smiths" comments.What you witnessed were two very good wrestlers who always bring all they have to the mat.Remember...on any given day..! When is the last time you witnessed a state tourney where there were no upsets or the favorite never won the state title? I've witnessed 32 years of them and I can't remember one where all the favorites stood on the top of the podium.But is'nt that why we watch and underdogs dream? If all the matches were that predictable,then we may as well stay home.Mitch and Shaun are both capable of beating each other...they have already proved that.We are BLESSED to have them for another year in West Virginia!

March 10, 2004
comments: OLD RAM: Please educate yourself....you win at Fargo, your a national champ...you win at Sr. Nationals...your a national champ. You win at VA Beach....you win a fairly tough tournament. END OF DISCUSSION!

March 10, 2004
comments: You can't go by how bad someone beat another person. For EX. Mitch beat shaun smith 7-2 then smith beat mitch in OT. Or Adkins beating campbell then campbell beating him. Diff. styles of wrestling or other people have their best match or worst match.

March 10, 2004
comments: I thought the Jr. states tounament was outstanding this year. Iwant to take a minute and say that I appreciate the work that goes into an event this size. Your hard work does not go unnoticed.

March 10, 2004
comments: I would just like to thank every wrestler that cut their fro's off this season. The long hair thing was gettin to me.

March 10, 2004
comments: the top 102lb kid is Gallahar. He won states and wsazs. He is pretty good.

March 10, 2004
comments: As the parent of three O.G. wrestlers of the past, I think we have gotten the wrong idea of what jr. wrestling is suppose to be about. It is to let young kids see what the basics of wrestling are all about and prepare them for jr. high or middle school. NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS!!! At Oak Glen when a student becomes jr. high age, he or she can no longer wrestle pee-wee's. I think our program speaks for it'self. The young kids don't need the pressure mom &dad put on them. It is about learning, not about who is best. That pressure will come in time.

March 9, 2004
comments: Who actually chooses the Dutton award winner? Sportswriters, coaches, a committee, WVSSAC ? Who?

March 9, 2004
comments: I would like to start this off by saying congrats to everyone involved with the W.V.States Jr. Wrestling program. Another year has come and gone and everyone involved will be looking to make next year better. To all of the wrestlers involved, you are all winners regardless of whether you stood on top of that podium or not. My husband and I have been involved with this program for a lot of years and are grateful to everyone for their help. My husband was president of the league for several years and my job was running the concession stand. We know first hand what kind of involvement and dedication it takes to pull that two day tournament off. This was Rick Dunbars first year of being tournament director and he did a great job. Kris Wilcoxen and his wife Charlotte were in charge of concessions and did very good with that also. If you have not been in the middle of this at least once then you can't imagine the work it takes to organize all the food and drinks for 4000+ people. There is not enough room for the amount of people to eat all at once but they do the best with what they have. Every year you learn something through mistakes and you try to make it better. As far as rec kids not weighing in, that's absolutely not true. The issue of the trash having to be picked up, how would you like for 4000 people to come to your house and throw their garbage on your floor. How hard would it be to take a store bag such as Wal-Mart's and throw your trash in it throughout the day. To the gentleman that go so upset when we stopped the tournament to look for the little lost boy, you ought to be ashamed of yourself, if it had been one of your wrestlers wouldn't you be concerned for their safety? This is why we tried to stress knowing where your children are. I spent many hours circling that building running kids out of places they had no business being in (down stairs corridor). Many children were running outside alone and could have disappeared and we wouldn't have known that for hours. There needs to be mention of all the other helpers throughout this venture, the board members who attend the meetings on Sundays and arrange the seeding meeting, and the parents who volunteer their time to work the tables. Everyone involved needs to be applauded for the tornament. Keep up the good work and strategize for next year's tournament. Learn from the mistakes of this year and never let it be for any other reason than the kids involved.

March 9, 2004
comments: I'll try to make my point quick. If you are a fan of either Smith then this futile and somewhat childish ranting about "mine being better than yours" should stop. Both boys respect each other more than they respect any of these comments. If you think Mitch is good then you better think Shaun is pretty darn good also since he beat Mitch. The same goes the other way also. It is useless to compare scores, how quick one pin occurs compares to another. Each match evolves in a different fashion. Each tournament has its pluses and minuses. There is no true high school national champion. Some kid working in a garage in Arkansas might be able to beat everyone but lacks the finances to travel. Who knows? They both are great. They both won at the times they won and that's all their is to it. Now the future is all that counts!!

March 9, 2004
comments: who is gonna be the top 10 heavywieghts in AAA next year?

March 9, 2004
comments: to the one who said 215 and 275 wt classes were weak or a joke ....find out who the underclassmen are and which school they attend and then, when wrestling season starts again try contacting the coaches of these teams and ask if you could come in and do alittle sparring with some of these guys.I would say most that placed this year would shut you up,bruise you up,or shut you down.or you could look up Lou T. or Ryan D.and they could show you how they pound on their opponents.and then you might change your mind about their opponents abilities.

March 9, 2004
comments: To Small fry Mom: Your comment about someone handing you a trash bag to clean up. You took it the wrong way. One of our parents memtioned this last night. She handed you a bag to pass down the row to help, not to pick up everywhere just under your feet and beside you and pass the bag on down. Plus I don't remember seeing a tournment in Calhoun Co. this year or last. And for the person who has the info about out of State kids wrestling send names to the Wood co. rec, because they could only go on the addresses given, plus info about weigh ins. This is interesting. Sat morning weigh ins was in the small lockerroom, but it was organized with 4 scales and the kids did get to try all 4 scales. Over weight kids went home and scratched, so come up with some evidence. The Jr. States was well run. If people have problems GET INVOLVED

March 9, 2004
comments: A.B. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE TWO SUGGESTIONS FOR THE JUNIOR STATE TOURNAMENT. IF THE AUDIO WAS TURNED DOWN JUST ONE OR TWO NOTCHES WE WOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS SAID BETTER. IF YOU HAD SOMEONE TO CHECK THE WRIST BANDS AT EACH ENTRY POINT YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO KEEP ANNOUNCING FOR PEOPLE TO LEAVE THE AREA. THEY NEVER LEAVE WHEN ANNOUNCED ANYWAY WE WATCHED AND ALL THEY DO IS MOVE TOWARD ANOTHER DIRECTION AND THEN DRIFT BACK TO WHERE THEY WERE. I WOULD GLADLY VOLUNTEER TO WATCH THE CORNER SECTION WHERE MAT NUMBER ONE IS LOCATED NO PAY (JUST FREE ADMISSION. I TRIED TO WATCH MY GRANDSON ON MAT ONE FROM BEHIND THE BARRIER WHERE I COULD TAKE SOME PICTURES AND COULDN,T SEE THE MAT FOR MEN AND WOMEN WITH RED WRIST BANDS ON. IT IS REALLY NOT FAIR TO THE KIDS WRESTLING OR THEIR COACHES TO BE SMOTHERED BY PEOPLE ALL AROUND THEM, THAT IS WHAT THE BLEACHERS ARE FOR. SORRY TO BE SO LONG WINDED OTHERWISE THE TOURNAMENT WAS GREAT AND THE MATCHES MOVED ALONG QUICKLY. SEE YA NEXT YEAR.

March 9, 2004
comments: GK I would like to personally thank Rick Dunbar and his volunteer staff for putting together a tremendous tournament for the youth of our great state. He brought officials from all over the state, me included, and ran the tourney as well as it cold be done. The kids (which is what it's all about anyway) wrestled extremely hard, and the level of competition was unbelievable. It was really enjoyable to officiate and see the bright future of wrestling shine in Parkersburg. Individuals from various places proved that this was indeed their day to shine and I believe that WV wrestling is just going to get better and better.

I would like to encourage all young wrestlers to at least give freestyle a chance as it really would improve our team's chances at Fargo and the benefits far outway the negatives when it comes to improving your wrestling skills. You brought a great team from Southern WV for the folkstyle, why not do the same for freestyle?! The freestyle tourney will be held in Parkersburg in the middle of May so it gives you some time off and also would provide time to train for that type of wrestling. I would also like to comment on G P's thoughts and Bob Moore's thoughts by saying I couldn't agree with both of you guys more! It's about time someone said positive things about WV wrestling and the officials as well. Thanks to both of you!!!! George

March 9, 2004
comments: The all star meet Wed Mar 10 at Brooke High School at 7pm will include WVU recruit Kurt Brenner, a 3x pa state champ, wrestling for the Pa team.

March 9, 2004
comments: Just wanted to say that the Jr. States in parkersburg are and always will be the true state tournament. But i would like to say as a coach that the bout system was not in order and that the parade of champions should be more about the young wrestlers the high school wrestlers already had there moment of glory why not anounce the kids names and there accomplishments. It is a good thing that they are there 2 slap your hands because some of the kids look up to them but dont forget this is about the youth wrestlers not the high school wrestlers.

March 9, 2004
comments: Green(WP) beat Davis(OG) 5-3 Rash was beating Davis 4-0 in the beginning of the 2nd so Rash should be number one.And plus Fraley beat Knapton 12-2 and Fraley beat Rash in overtime when Rash lost his 6-4 lead with 5 seconds left

March 9, 2004
comments: Question: Anybody know where I can purchase the neon Green singlet with smiley faces all over it? I believe it also comes in pink.

March 9, 2004
comments: There are apparently two avenues of thought going on in regards to school wrestling and youth wrestling. It seems that there are some kids in youth wrestling who do not have school teams to be on, while others choose not to participate with their school team and travel around with the youth team instead. Some people must feel that they somehow get more out of the youth tournaments than they would from going to school tournaments. In my county, we believe that one of the primary functions of a youth program is to prepare the kids for not only high school, but also for the middle school/jr. high level. Someone suggested eliminating middle school and jr. high wrestling as a counterpoint to the rumor of eliminating the 13-15 division in youth tournaments. It would be a big mistake to do either of these things. Some 13-15 yr olds do not have a school team, and some clubs allow their 13-15 yr olds who are ineligible for school teams to participate on their youth teams. In my particular county, where we sometimes have difficulty filling all the weight classes on the school team, we could not have kids choosing the youth team over the school team. This would only put us at odds with one another. From a school coaching standpoint, I'd like to see a Pleasants County Middle School team. I don't know their reasons, but maybe they feel like starting up a middle school team would not be in the best interest of the majority of kids on their youth team (which is very solid, I'm not knocking it at all). From a middle school perspective, though, it's as if the the middle level is being left out. I just want to state that the level of competition on our particular middle school schedule is at least equivalent to that in the youth tournaments and more often tougher. Also, we encourage our wrestlers to join in with the youth team after our season, but only after our season, because we think our 13-15 yr olds' priorities ought to be with the school team first. Evidently I feel a stronger tie to and pride in our school systems than some people do.

March 9, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Todd Barker, Caleb Norman, Tyler Dickel, Jeremy Corbitt, Travis Fordyce, Adam Metz, Briar Shively for winning states again. Congratulations to Braxton Johnson for winning and not even placing last year. Congrats to Jarod Barker 3rd in a tough division, Zach Wilcoxen 3rd and Aaron Holbert 4th, hated to see them wrestle each other; Jenna McClain for 3rd, Cody for his 5th, John Wright for his 5th, and Austin Moss for his 3rd. Congrats to Colby Richards for his runner-up. Congrats to Jordan Quiocho for placing. We are proud of all of you who wrestled in the states. We had 9 in the finals and crowned 8 way to go kids. We had alot less kids than Southern Wv and Wheeling and still got 3rd in Team points. Can't wait till next year.

March 9, 2004
comments: First of all I wanted to say congratulations to ALL WRESTLERS. Regardless of how well they did at State,to make it to State is just as good as winning it.

Thank You Bill for spilling the beans to my personal life as well as coming to my defense. lol

Parkersburg has always had a good feeder program to the high schools as well as having programs such as the YMCA and Boys Club.This is why Point Pleasant will be a threat in years to come because when I was living there, Dave Darst,Jack Cullen and many others in the little league knew how important it was to get the kids ready and the basic fundelmentals needed to compete on the high school level.

Now I may be causing an uproar in my next statements but after being bred ,raised in WV AND NOW LIVING IN CALIFORNIA.

I see the difference in the programs between WV and California. California has about 15-20 Greco-Freestyle tournaments a weekend! NO FOLKSTYLE, California coaches and parents are wanting a Freestyle only in the high school level. I agree to get our kids ready for the next level.

In my opinion, WV lacks the coaching skill of teaching Greco-Freestyle to other kids. The only people that has the reputation would be Chertow, Owens and Sole. (Olympic,SR.Nationals,World)Not including staff at WVU.

Kids need to start training during the off-season in Greco-Freestyle to help them stay focus.

I noticed here in California, kids are focusing on placing in the Cadets, Juniors and hopefully the Olympics at such an early age.

I sat down with Abas (Olympic #1 seed)at State this weekend and for awhile we talked about our tournaments together and then he asked me how many WV people actually won the SR.HS Nationals. I said none but we had some good ones placed.

He mentioned that maybe we need big corporations to get involved in promoting wrestling more. So the idea hit me on why California is thriving, because Major Corporations are sponsoring the kids,tournments and even the clubs.

I will tell you one thing I will move back to WV someday but ever since I moved to California and wrestled for a club 6 days a week and go to tournaments year round, I have become a better wrestler than I can ever imagine.

I would love to see WV with the same success someday.

See some of you at the Mason Open (Mr. Nott, thank you for keeping the tournament alive and going ever since it started in 92)

Greg

March 9, 2004
comments: To: OLD RAM
Comments: January 24, 2004 Fargo Champ versus NHSCA Champ 6-2 one good at freestyle- one let up twice- so much for NHSCA considered a 'national' tourney. The best wrestlers go freestyle in the summer so not much competition at the other 'nationals'.

March 9, 2004
comments: Cody Potts from Oak Glen not only one at states but he also won at the OVAC Casey Hughes is not the only one who has done that!

March 9, 2004
comments: Please educate yourself. The NHSCA holds qualifiers all over the nation. If you are a state champ or runner-up, you are qualified,just send in your entry. ( HIGH SCHOOL) When you go to Va. Beach, you go no further. Some weights have over 100 entries. If you place, you receive a " High School Allmerican" certificate. If you win, you are a High School National Champ.There is a pre-season and a post-season tourny.The finals are broadcast on the innernet. Try it, you'll like it. Go to it and then you will know what you are talking about.

March 9, 2004
comments: Lindamood may or may not move up to 215. 1st depends on if he wants to control his weight a whole season. 2nd mothernature says the kid is still growing SOPH. Little brother Matt is moving up to PHS as a freshman next year along with Andy Thomas. Speaking of Thomas, rumer out Sun at the Jr. States said Thamas has won the Dutton, just hasn't been anounced as of yet, couldn't go to a better kid. Lou shares his gift with the younger kids, by giving his time and experiance. PHS will be loaded again next year. Look Out!!

March 9, 2004
comments: More than one OVAC Champion won at states this year.

March 9, 2004
comments: To small fry mom:
Your son got food poisoning @ the Jr. States? 5,000+ people and he was the only one? Sounds like the stomach virus that is going around not the concessions.

March 9, 2004
comments: To: Iron
Matt Smith did not qualify for nationals.
The MAC conference only gets 18 qualifiers for nationals. The winner gets automatic spot, then 8 wildcards are chosen from the remainder of wrestlers. Some second place wrestlers stay home and occasionally the coaches will select a 3rd placer if they feel the weight class is especially deep. Every conference gets a different number of qualifiers based on number of teams and past performance at nationals. Examples: Big 10 gets 70, the Big 12 with only 5 teams (but extremely good ones) gets 36, etc.

Iron, you mention Archer from Huntington as someone who wrestled in college, but you should remember Mike Mason from Williamstown missed being a national champ because of VERY contraversial stalling call in OT.

March 9, 2004
comments: The W.V. youth state tourney was a mess. Out of state kids did wrestle!!! There is no way that non seeded kids were blind drawn. Atleast one kid was allowed to weigh in late and I heard atleast one kid that did not make weight but was not scratched wrestled. The facitity for weigh in is not large enough and was unorganized. The staging area was unneceaasry and the staging are closest to the consession stand was freezing cold due to the doors being opened and closed all day. The southern W.V. teams combined as many as 7 teams just to claim the overall title. And talk is they will not have the overall team championship next year which is not fair to teams that compete as a team all year!!!! The idea of cleaning up after yourself is not asking to much but it would not hurt to ask instead of demand!!! The consession area is not large enough to handle the demand for food and refreshments. The positive feedback from the tournamnet is that the people organizing the tournament were friendly and helpfull. The competition was excellent and the trophies and plaques were great!! Overall the tournament had its ups and downs but one thing is sure-Wrestling in W.V. is still thriving thanks to parents,coaches,and the kids that keep our tradition. Do you think that the youth tournament has simply outgrown its place in that old facility????

comments: So the word going around Wood Co. kids didn't weigh In. This is false. One of the kids that didn't make weight on Friday also failed Sat morning. The out of State wrestler was from Wheeling and didn't wrestle. His address was Pa. and wrestled on the Wheeling team and was denied on address at the seeding meetings. Parkersburg teams have Belpre kids who are grandfathered in, who don't wrestle in the States as well.

comments: The Jr. states was a well run tournament, lets be honest 800 wrestles are going to take a while. The wood co. rec. kids did weigh in i personally stood in line with some of them and no i'm not a member of the rec. teams. As a matter of fact the guys in the suits were from the local police dept. to verify everybody weighed in. Lets not forget wrestling is supposed to be for the kids and don't get mad at the tourney if your wrestler didn't perform as well as you would have liked.Great job Rick Dunbar i hope you will be kind enough to do it again next year.

March 9, 2004
comments: I really feel people should wake up and smell the coffee...Lou Thomas is the obvious choice for the Dutton. His only 2 losses came from the number one kid in the country. Lou even beat the 2nd ranked kid in the country (at that time in the season), to land himself a top 3 ranking. Lou has wrestled a far tougher schedule than anyone in the state. He place 2nd in the #1 and #2 tournaments in the country. I'm not saying other seniors aren't good wrestlers, or even lou is a better wrestler, but Lou has performed very well with some of the best in the country. Can you truthfully say your Dutton candidate would perform as well with the same schedule Lou has wrestled??? It's a shame other good wrestlers don't get the same kind of opportunities like lou has had. If they had, this year's dutton winner wouldn't be as cut and dried.

March 9, 2004
comments: It was posted on here that South (and possibly PHS) was in the OVAC in 1976-77 and possibly 1977-78. Does anyone have access to the team scores from those years (1977 & 1978)? I'm not talking about just the winning team those years (which I've heard is in the OVAC program) unless by chance it lists South which would answer the question. Thanks.

March 9, 2004
comments: How can you say that Who is the top 102 in middle school. I've never even heard of the kid and you don't even identify where he is from. Next you'll be trying to tell us that What is 2nd.

March 9, 2004
comments: congratulations to the western greenbrier youth team on an outstanding weekend at the Jr. states. They placed 14 wrestlers and crowned two state champs. Randy Ferrill 13-15 and Brian Gray 13-15. All of you guys worked very hard to achieve your goals and it showed on the mats. Thanks to the coaching staff for the time that you spent with the kids it all shows by creating and maintaining a growing and successful program.

March 9, 2004
comments:
Southern W.Va. was not a 10 team combination it was young guns, beckley west, western greenbrier,and a few kids from shady. How many kids are on the teams from larger cities in the state? I think that it says the level of competition is pretty good in the southern part of the state. They were dominate in the jr. high division without some of their best wrestlers. (kids that went to wrestle high school after the Jr. high season ended.) They competed with 7-8 graders with the majority being 7th graders who were 13 yrs. old

March 9, 2004
comments: I was impressed with the organization of the youth state wrestling tournament. Eventhough I'm not invloved with the tournament I do volunteer and know how difficult the work can be. I was so dissapointed in the fans and the mess they left behind. We stayed and cleaned up our section and more but very few people helped. If you think this tournament makes a ton of money you know nothing. Before you leave your disgusting garbage lay around find out who is responsible for clean up. If we expect people to spend their time working hard so we can have this type of tournament the least we could do is clean up after ourselves. I heard the announcer ask for clean up help many times. Shame on the fans only.

March 9, 2004
comments: I would like to say congrates to Levi Harris from Calhoun Jr wrestling for his finish at Parkersburg Jr States. I am so happy for you . Keep up the good work. We hope to see you next year. Also Good luck Sammy Harris at the wirt county girls wrestling tournament.

March 9, 2004
comments: F E: I know......I can take the criticism, I like to joke around. Anyways, this ones for OLD RAM, Fargo is greco and freestyle, most of the nations top wrestlers wrestle at that tournament, including a few from WV. Just because that tournament is 2 styles, doesnt mean the guys arent good in folkstyle. Fargo champs would destroy the WV state champs maybe except for a select few. Not putting down the wv wrestlers, just the top guys in the nation are just that good. Like last year I thought Bliss from brooke was amazing, then at the senior nationals he met up with C.P Schlatter...an ohio 4 timer, and a number 1 ranking. Schlatter beat him 21-6. This topics going nowhwere good so im gonna stop. But lindamood going to 215 is a possibility, but I kinda thought he was a small 89 pounder? After the weight shifting from everyone this year, I give up on trying to guess.

March 9, 2004
comments: who is the top 102's in middle school like ranking wise

March 9, 2004
comments: SO lindamood from parkersburg is moving up to 215 next year??????

March 9, 2004
comments: What's this about out of state wrestlers wrestling on rec teams. I hope no coach would do this to a wv kid. Who could sleep at night.

March 9, 2004
comments: Good Luck in the OVAC all star match Wednesday to these WV wrestlers: Anthony Valles-112; Brian Humphrey-119; Jon McFarland-125; Braden Shaw-135; Casey Hughes-145.

March 9, 2004
comments: Does anyone know how seriously injusred the 103lbs from Roane County is injured. Know he was taken out on stretcher. Just want to know if he is alright.

March 9, 2004
comments: Just wanted to thank Jenny Sullivan for sending in her pictures from the state tournament. It was great to put faces with the names and see all the warm ups again. Also, wanted to congratulate you Doc on wrestling sportswriter of the year ... again... You and Jenny have been doing great things for wrestling in WV for years now... I am in SC now and I wish this state cared about wrestling as much as WV did when I was wrestling!!

March 9, 2004
comments: So many people say that wrestlers today are not as good as yesterday. I am from the old school and still I believe this is wrong. Years ago wrestlers started much later than they do now. I remember when I wrestled 10 and under was the youngest bracket in pee wees. Nowadays it is 4and under at alot of places and 6 and under is the norm. Face it wrestlers today have far more experience. Wrestlers today also travel way more than they did 20 years ago seeking out the best competition. Not all, but many wrestlers wrestle year around and focus on only this sport. Our state is producing much better wrestlers today than in years past. I may be wrong but i think their is probably about 7 or 8 high schoolers (includes this years class) that are division 1 college wreslers. That is great for our state. Also, I see alot of young hammerheads that will be coming up in the near future. This state is getting better all the time and is going to keep getting better thanks to alot of dedicated people. Wrestlers (in general , their is always exceptions) are much better today!!!!!

March 9, 2004
comments: I'am a new poster, and fairly new to learning about wrestling nationally and so on. All this fuss about someone saying the NHSCA tournaments are national championships. To me the NHSCA open tournaments are qualifiers for like the eastern nationals, or fargo or somethin. So winning an NHSCA open tournament is NOT winning a national championship.

March 9, 2004
comments: Just to let YOU know the NHSCA IS a qualifier for Virginia Beach..And thats a FACT!

March 9, 2004
comments: About the team trophies at jr. states. They shouldn't take them away from the wrestlers,just because the adults get greedy.Each team entry should consist of a set number of entries for each team.

March 9, 2004
comments: One OVAC champ did win the State tournament, that is Casey Hughes of Cameron, as did his OVAC finals opponent Dustin Richey of John Marhsall (10-5 dec.). Speaking of Hughes, you've got to consider him a front runner for the Dutton Award. 3X state champion, OVAC Champion, Undefeated Senior season (41-0)...he dominated the weight this year and deserves it as much as anybody.

March 9, 2004
comments: To whom it may apply.
Great Jr. Championship Tourny
Great matches all day sunday.Great calls by refs all day in matches with as much pressure, more action, than the High School States.Not to mention the crowded conditions they worked in, i really must say, this was of the best called Jr. States ive seen,and ive been there since 1980.Great_Great job guys.

Great job all other areas outside wood county, yall dominated the older division finals with just a FEW exceptions. Now will these areas travel to get their best boys butt kicked 5 to 10 times per season to enable them to be in the fight with OG-phs-south, we shall see.

With reguard to weigh-ins, i hope you were kidding about wood co kids not weighing in, if you were serious, youve questioned the honesty of all the refs,(they would know if that was going on, they know most of the wood co teams from league nights), the tourney officals, and all the wood co coaches (trust me, i know the guys, this is parkersburg, dont happen here)

Food poisoning, sorry it happened, but sounds like it only happened to 1 boy.

Staging area complaint.......petty

Parkersburg has the States because, its 1 of the oldest wrestling areas, in the early 80s, people from other areas in the state started programs in the Jrs to copy Parkersburg. Honnaker-Bennet Southern area, Plantz-Allen-Shamblin Charleston area, Crouch-Winters-Others western area, Crain-Evans-Gouch others northern area, Spencer/Geary/Wirt/Ripley/StMarys. They all brought their best to compete with the best.This was the group of people who started state wide,good compitition, and they trusted each other. I know i have left out many of the early builders, Fairmont area, Oak Glenn area, and a few others, but this was the core group who started traveling out of state, and brought our kids to the higher leval we now enjoy. Im really looking forward to seeing the next group that can take us a higher leval, im sure theres a Litton clone out there somewhere.

Long winded yes....For a reason

Over 800 kids, best kids won, great kids placed, didnt see a kid in any match that didnt give it all. Done before dark. Yes it was again the tourny with the loudest bark....

March 9, 2004
comments: I see all these posts about youth wrestling and it makes me feel great that our state isn't going to die out in wrestling once I graduate. I do not understand though why parents have to post on here about it? Must be proud parents I guess. I would voice a rash opinion of mine about who cares about youth wrestling, but that is ignorant, and would never get posted. I will say however that maybe youth parents should worry about their childrens well being then trying to talk them up on wvmat forum while their still in fourth grade. Let them grow and mature, their day will come. But please don't make a big deal about their youth career. I have seen some sad parents at youth tournaments that take this too seriously. Be proud of your kids but remember it is just YOUTH wrestling and doesn't really matter if they win or lose, just about building confidence and technique. So youth states in my point of view means jack.

March 9, 2004
comments: Feb. 28,2004. WV State High School Finals. FARGO Champ vs NHSCA Champ. Fargo guy good at free style-other guy good on feet and mat. So much for Fargo hype.

March 9, 2004
comments: With the big issue of Jr High and Middle school Championships, the word going around the Jr States was eliminating 13-15 yr. olds. This is a mistake, not all wrestlers in that bracket wrestle Middle and Jr. High. example Andy Thomas. Maybe the SSAC should step in a eliminate Jr high and Middle school wrestling. Think of the savings to the State alone. Then the Jr. States would go to a 3 day tournment with regional qualifiers, keeping the 13-15 brackets alive and more competitive. I know PHS and South would have better feeders and so the rest of the State. The only type of Championships Jr high and Middle school have is the WSAZ tournment a month before the season ends!

March 9, 2004
comments: Josiah, I just wanted to let you know that you did a awesome job at state by not losing mentaly after losing thrusday night. You came back and proved to everyone the a 200lb. HWT can be one of the best wrestlers in the state! Congrats...Shawn...awesome job, you sure showed the state who the real SMITH is!
Your friend,
K M

March 9, 2004
comments: I think that we should give a heads up to Andy Richardson for doing such a GREAT Job his 1st year, you had a great season stick with it! Good Luck Next year at the high School, see ya there ;)

March 9, 2004
comments: Whoever is saying that some of the weight classes do not have the talent they once did. Look at it this way. WV wrestling has in fact came a long way with putting teams (none to be mentioned)on the national scene. If you take 1 or 2 wrestlers...like Thomas and Dearman out of their weight classes...it would be an all out battle for the state champion spot. So please think before you put down the wrestlers again.

March 9, 2004
comments: To: Iron
Just having a little fun with some puns. I can't help it if iron is constipating. If you would have called yourself Viagra I'd probably had a more complimentary pun. Your comments and opinions aren't all that bad. Post on.

March 9, 2004
comments: I want to take back the Pig thing, your right, it puts the kids in the mix. Still there where more than enough containers people could use and didn't happen. Thanks for those who did! Wood Co. had people working til Midnight on 2 nights, to make sure the place was ready. At least people from outside of Wood . Co would do is help just a little and place their trash in a can. No offense intended.

March 9, 2004
March 9, 2004
comments: Matt Smith from OU did get third and lost 3-2 to champ Mark Mcknight from Buffalo......last year Mknight majored rader 14-4 at the powerade, the kids real good, good job to matt smith though.....does this mean he qualififes for the NCAA tourny? Speaking of NCAA tournament.....who in WV has gone and did well....I know Archer from HHS went, wrestled for ohio state...anyone else?

comments: One more thing....there are some good pics on PHS's wrestling webpage of some dual matches and so. Check it out

March 8, 2004
comments: If anyone knows of an NHSCA qualifying tournament in Maryland or Virginia, could you please leave info on the forum. The qualifying tournament scheduled for 4/17 at University High School is the same weekend as the Eastern Nationals, which we plan to attend. Thanks.

March 8, 2004
comments: Who are some of the better wrestlers that will be back again next year for their respective school teams at the middle school/jr. high level? Were there very many sixth or seventh graders in the top six placewinners in the 13-15 group at the Parkersburg Jr. State?

March 8, 2004
comments: Anyone wanting to gripe about the JT. States should get involved, Ist of all weigh -ins go as smooth as they can go. Scales and refs at every scale, for each age group. Seeding a lot of kids sent in forms with no records( either they didn't care or didn't care for their record) I feel blind draw is the way to go. Cleaning the joint up is the responsiblity of everyone, someone mention food poisoning prove it, the flu hit our team 2 days before and one never wrestled. Out of all the entryies 4 got screwed up , not bad for 800+ kids and only 2 didn't make weight. PHS charges mega bucks for the use of the facility, Wood Co. Rec. pays out to the Mat Maids. The staging area is a good Idea keeps kids off the florr so people who want to watch can see from their seat. Rick Dunbar gave up a week of Law practice to put this together and for the 1st year of running it was great. The parade of Champions was great, when Lou Thomas came out a person asked why they where booing him, They in fact was looing him, as the Dutton Award front runner, Little brother wrestled up 2 classes so he could fit the puzzle to day from 140 to 160. Next year look for him to be 160 or 170 and Joey limdammood moving to 215. Hwt. Good guess, not a good canidate, although PHS has one ready to fill Dearmans shoes. I wouldn't count PHS or South out in the next decade and beyond. Both Parkersburg Teams have good feeders including the Rec. teams who are coming on to battle the privite teams which are open. Cash is a major deal with the families dealing with the privite teams, they travel which doubles the cost. When it's all said the Jr. States is the youth Chamionship place to be as the teams pick it up and travel to the more elite tournments that are out there. E. Fairmont is an after thought. Who ever heard of 2 State Championship venues? Parkersburg is the one that the serios kids go to! Again the thing went good and Dunbar is one whiz of a good coordinator, and as long as he has the time it will only get better!
Editor's note: I deleted your remark that "wrestlers are pigs." That's a little over the top, don't you think?

comments: Next year, there should be no team trophy's, Souther WV put 10 teams together to make it look like a team thing WRONG!!

March 8, 2004
comments: TICKLING?! Now that is funny.

March 8, 2004
comments: Iron: What is really great about this site is the fact that we get to voice our opinions as long as they are not trash or flames.We tend to get a little worked up about South and PHS on here and have a good rivalry.You and I have communicated on here without trashing each other and we both offer some facts that may be interesting...maybe not. At the very least we have a place to give these opinions and find out ,in more detail,about the sport that we love.Have a good day Iron.

March 8, 2004
comments: C'mon Old Ram, you can't be serious. You have to be a good wrestler to win some of these "national" tournaments, but your just not a national champion unless its from Fargo or Senior Nationals. The only people who recognize these other spinoff nationals are proud parents. I am also from pksbg, and they have no national champs. The closest they will get this year is maybe Thomas winning the senior nationals.

March 8, 2004
email: snott@citynet.net
comments: To those with questions about the Mason County Open: We will seed the tournament with the submitted records as best we can.Last year we had nearly 400 wrestlers ranging in age from 4 yrs. to 40 yrs old. We have never put a weight limit on the open division heavyweights.If you have specific questions e-mail snott@citynet.net and I'll try to answer them.

March 8, 2004
comments: You mention Andy Thomas he wrestled up 2 weight classes!! And won or WON!!!

March 8, 2004
comments: How do these line ups look?
                  PHS                     South
103                ?                      Kellar
112               Stilgenbauer            Townsend
119                ?                       ?
125                ?                       ?
130               Ewing                   Hall
135                ?                      McCray
140               Ice                     Dunn
145               Radar                   Kelley
152               Bailey                  Porter
160               Litton                  Smith
171               Myers                   Munday
189               Lindamood               Norman
215               ?                       Davis
275               ?                       Dorton

Obviously, the above are pure speculation and I'm not much of an authority on the kids coming up from jr. high. I've heard of a few kids including Thomas for PHS but have no idea where the kids will grow to by next season. There are several good kids that didn't wrestle varsity from both schools that may fit into the line-ups (e.g. Chichester for PHS and James and Alton for South). No one should get offended or feel left out because I really don"t know much beyond this years starters. I was more interested in contemplating where some of this years kids would grow to by next season. I personally would like to see some of the South guys hit the weights and wrestle up. Porter, Kelley and McCray all the the frames to put on a lot of muscle and with their skills they still would be just as tough at these upper weights. All these comments are meant to be positive. Just for fun feel free to fill in any blanks above. There are no wrong answers. This also is not meant to match up the teams and decide who is better. It is fun however, to look ahead and dream about some possible matchups for next year. How about Lindamood & Norman?

March 8, 2004
comments: I am very positive about PHS, I do get a little nervous at times and sometimes doubt them but they came through. I'm sorry if my posts make you constipated, but I'm glad you like to read them. If you dont like my posts, then then deal with it because I probably wont stop posting EVER!!!!! On a better note, I'm so happy I'am so popular on this board. I'm sure all the South fans love me. But whoever does not have an oppinion.....can trash talk me for having one. I'am what I'am , you could like it or love it. Later

March 8, 2004
comments: To PS fan
South was in the ovac in the mid seventies. Not sure for how many total years they were in it though. I do know they won the football title in 75 or 76.

comments: PHS and SOUTH both where in the OVAC, in the late 70's and South dropped out of the MSAC.

March 8, 2004
comments: To:Big Red #1 Just to let you know you are to be corrected.The NHSCA is not a qualifer for other tournaments,and that's not an opinion that's a fact!!

March 8, 2004
comments: What weight class will Andy Thomas be wrestling next year in High School

March 8, 2004
comments: Congratulations to Ohio University wrestler Matt Smith (former Ripley High wrestler)for finishing 3rd in the MAC. Losing to the eventual champion 3-2 in the semis. Too bad the MAC doesn't get more national qualifiers.

March 8, 2004
comments: To PS Fan: The 1975 football team (1976 Graduating Class)at Parkersburg South won the OVAC Title in it's first and only year in the conference. I assume that they participated in wrestling that year (1976) also. If I remember correctly the next year South had to leave the conference because the OVAC had a rule at that time that each school had to participate in all sports. South did not have a tennis team or a swimming team and were forced to leave.

March 8, 2004
comments: There was alot of negative comments on here about Mineral Wells and Mini Patriots prior to the Junior States and I think that both sides should realize that the young kids in both programs will eventually go to the same school. Yes there is alot of rivalry between the two teams and some of the best matches at the states was between Mineral Wells Kids and Patriot Kids but when the kids came off the mats they had very good sportsmanship towards each other. There will be ill feelings from others when you have successful programs and I would like to congratulate all the kids at the states on a great tournament.

March 8, 2004
comments: I was extremely dissappointed with the youth states this year it was run very poorly. My son got food poisoning he was up vomiting all night. One guess how he wrestled. If that wasnt upsetting enough they handed me a trash bag and ask me to start picking up trash!! WOOD COUNTY teams make close 25,000 on the states every year they should have been passing out trash bags to thier team mates or hire someone to do the job for them . We have. tour every year we do not pass out trash bags we hire a janitor!!

comments: I just wanted to say the plaques for the 13-15 year-old division were nicer than I ever imagined they would be, and that the High School States should have something like that for the champion. On another note though the Parkersburg Jr. States were not run as smooth as it could have been first of all there is no need for a staging area when you go by the bout system. Secondly if you go by the bout system you could at least go in order the point of it is to know when your going to wrestle and if u skip around that defeats the whole purpose. Last but not least the weigh-ins could have been ran a lot better there is no need to wait in line for over an hour to weigh-in you need to get the wrestlers in and out as fast as possible. But overall it was a good tournament and more of WV youth wrestlers should participate.

comments: Some great pee wee matches this weekend in Parkersburg showing it is the ONE TRUE STATE TOURNAMENT. Great semi final match between Wilcoxen from Mineral Wells and a Charleston kid, don't know either kid but I have watched Zach wrestle for a few years and he is very technically sound although I'm not sure he was on his A game this weekend it was still a great match and the Charleston boy (not sure of a name) got the win.

Great Junior high wrestling, the Wood county wrestlers are going to have their hands full in a couple of years at the high school level.

comments: TO JR. STATES TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR:
Being my fourth year at the PARKERSBURG STATES, Ive been around enough to here the normal gossip mill, but also been around to know its just gossip. But this years gossip needs to be addressed if your JR.STATES wants to keeps it reputation.
1) How can several teams from one area combine to form one team? Thats why team points should not be kept at these states.
2) How come the wrestlers from the so called rec teams are never seen at weigh-ins? Ive been one of the first of many to wait in line and have to agree that this rumor could be true. Do they actually weigh-in?
3) Talking to several parents from the PARKERSBURG area, they seem to be dumb-founded that you let out of state wrestlers compete in the tournament, just because they are from the rec teams. Without mentioning names, one wrestled for you when you coached last year.
4) Maybe next year at the seeding meeting we can take time to blind draw the remaining bracket openings. This seemed to be one of the biggest concern of the tournament. People felt that local wrestlers were place stratigically. I know this seems like Im complaining but I think the state deserves some answers. I think that the PARKERSBURG JR. STATE is by far superior to the other state tournament, however, if the tournament is ran with these kinds of special priviledges, the tide might shift upnorth. Something I personally dont want to see because of the drive. Other than these concerns the tournament ran rather well.CONGRADULATIONS to you and your staff!!

comments: Good job logan martin at jr states u wrestled well.

comments: Just came back from the Jr. State Championship Tourn. in Parkersburg, and I will tell you that it was a great tourn. The only complaint I have with it was the weigh-ins on Friday was a nightmare!!!!They need to come up with a better system in checking the kids in. Two lines for that many kids will never work, but like i said all in all a great time. Good job for all those involved in setting the tourn. up. See you all next year.

March 8, 2004
comments: "I'm not wanting to start the mindless banter regarding the OVAC but you didn't need to mention that in your reasoning as those guys didn't fare to well in the WV state tourny"

Then, it's a good thing I didn't, huh?

March 8, 2004
comments: Dude, just a thought, but Oak Glen would easily be the no. 3 team in your poll. Makes one wonder if a state as small as ours needs size classifications.

March 8, 2004
comments: Don't think post MCATs will slow me down, the 120 hr resident work week might.
ZenGrappling.com
PS The Line "I didn't even try to expose the truth" was classic.

March 8, 2004
comments: I just watched Andy Thomas pin his state champ match at youth states, this kid is real good, should win alot of matches next year for PHS.

March 8, 2004
comments: to bigfatasp,
Sounds like you got all the answers. Looking forward to seeing you in a Ref's outfit next year. Then you can get paid to show what you actually know instead of just talking. ps. HELPFUL hints
1. you wont be able to live on a ref's salary.
2. if you call stalling by the rule book not to many matches would even get finished before disqualification occur. oh yea, CONSISTENCY is name of game so once your start calling stalling agressivelly don't quit.
3. a match is a lot easier to call from leftfield instead of being on mat. Can't feel it in leftfield.
GOOD LUCK AND LOOKING FORWARD TO COMING TO SEE YOU REF SINCE YOU HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS..

March 8, 2004
comments: Several years ago someone at the state tournament alluded to the fact that South was in the OVAC for a few years. However, I wasn't aware of this and either I misunderstood or they were referring to MSAC. If someone actually knows the dates of their participation or if somone who has followed the OVAC for 20-30 years can clear this up I would appreciate it. THANKS.

March 8, 2004
comments: After reading all the opinions spewed by Iron this season, Periodically I kept wondering an Elemental question. How positive are you?
Is it ferrous or ferric? Please let us know so we can decide on what charge to apply. I hear it's a family thing. If others aren't aware, Iron does cause constipation so don't take in too much.

March 8, 2004
comments: I think there are some comments that should be kept to yourself unless you can put your name on it. " for example weight classes 215 and HVW,they were a joke this year." I will hope that you are not a parent but just a fan that takes high school wrestling a little too serious. Probably someone that never wrestled, just watched...DO NOT put down any person that wrestles and does the best that they can. There is absolutely no Class in that...
To the editor, I have posted on here numerous times that I feel that there are some things that slide through on this forum that is uncalled for and this is a perfect example...
Editor's note: Yeah, you're probably right. The person who posted the post to which you refer actually named names of those wrestlers he/she thought were jokes - I deleted the names, probably should have just deleted the entire post.

March 8, 2004
comments: I think Northcraft should be ahead of campbell by a long shot. He tech falled adkins and got 2nd at ovac.

March 8, 2004
comments: Could someone give me the Top 15 in the 215 lbs class along with their grade level for this year

March 8, 2004
comments: To Rock; The Senior Nationals is only for Seniors and Fargo is free style and greco. We wrestle folk style here in WV except in off season. We have several national champs in Pksbg.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page