West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 1998 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

March 18, 1998
comments: I can't believe what I am seeing on here. Jimmy Johnson and Adam Schindler are two great wrestlers. I don't understand why people are trying to bring them down. I am furious that wrestling fans would resort to these ignorant tactics. The 97-98 season is over and we all know who the winners are. Jimmy Johnson has worked very hard to secure another STATE CHAMPION TITLE and Adam Schindler did very well also as a freshman. Why would you want to do this to these boys who have worked so very hard? Our state has set up the regionals and the state tournament so each boy has an equal chance to make it to the Parade of Champions. I am truly sorry that some people had to lose but this is the way that things work. There is one thing we all need to keep in mind "This is only a sport". I think some of us forget this.

March 18, 1998
comments: To: Ravenswood Fan
I don't think you should be the one to get the last word. I think that Schindler is a good wrestler but so is Johnson. Why are trying to say that Johnson didn't deserve the title? I think that you need to come to reality and realize who won the title. It was Johnson. I personally watched to match between Schindler and Johnson and the match did get physical but isn't wrestling a physical sport? I believe it is. The ref did not stop or even warn Johnson about wresling a physical match. You have to remember that Johnson needed 1 point to tie the score and was trying to do this in the last minute. I think some of the things that you are saying happened in that match are untrue--the ref would have stopped the match. So, come on and stop "whining". You do have to remember that this is varsity wrestling and it is a lot different than Pee-Wee!!!! By the way Johnson is getting ready also.

March 18, 1998
comments: Its Whine not wine! And I'm not whining. Head Butting is not being physical. I know what being physical is. One cross face cannot be called brawling. When an athlete has a knot on his cheek from a head butt and the ref says he received it from a head butt and he feels that the head butt was not "hard enough " to warn the wrestler about leading with his head there is something wrong. I tell you what: lets just see what happens next year because from what I hear Schindler is already training like a madman for next year. It was probably the worst thing to ever happen for the other wrestlers for Schindler to get beat in the quarters and probably the best thing for him. Enough said on this subject--its getting old. Lets wait for next year and see what happens....

March 18, 1998
E-mail: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Two more wrestlers who reached the 100-win mark this year were J. D. Kirby and Ryan Zombro, both of Jefferson County. (Zombro still managed to win 102 career matches despite missing half of the 96-97 season with a broken leg.) Kirby set the record at Jefferson for career wins (115) and Zombro set the record for single season wins (50).

March 17, 1998
bu118@ovnet.com
On March 25, 1998 (Wed.) any interested youth coach in the northern panhandle of WV, southeastern or eastern Ohio and western Pa., is welcome to attend a meeting held at Mountaineer Race Track & Resort at 7:00 PM. Discussion will focus around creating dual, tri, and/or quad matches and leaving open dates for tournaments. A minimum of 8 teams would be required with hopes of many more. This topic was brought to the table by Dave Green (East Liverpool Youth Wrestling) in hopes of getting the kids more matches whose parents will not commit to the time element and effort us die hards will and have driven 2 + hours one way and stay all day at a tournament. What have some time left on a Saturday or Sunday you say! LOL This thought should bring to mind profit making for individual clubs also.

March 17, 1998
comments: Brawling must not be mistaken for being PHYSICAL in a match. Do we start playing word games now? How about "he had a very brawling cross face?" Being physical is one of the best psychological tactics in the sport. Besides that, the referees know what they are doing. If being physical crossed the line to brawling it would be stopped. Want some cheese to go with that wine?

March 17, 1998
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: Congratulations to both the Parkersburg and Clarksburg Youth State tournaments. Both were well run. I see the Parkersburg results are posted in the results section of this website. Will someone from Clarksburg do the same for their tournament? I know they do not want to be "outhustled" by Parkersburg. Great tournaments guys, keep working to make both events better.

March 17, 1998
comments: To Calhoun Fan, In the Region finals Schindler was called for stalling twice not three times. Let me ask you this question; If you were wrestling someone who was leading with their head and head butting which blacked your eye, busted your lip and made your cheek bone swell up--would you back away? Another question; If you were at the edge of the mat and the ref blew the whistle and yet the guy you were wrestling did not stop and threw you on to the hardwood floor-- would you stall? Maybe you would pick it up and return some of the punishment. Wrestling is just what it says Wrestling --not Brawling

March 16, 1998
comments: ASH WENMOTH THE AA CHAMPION BEAT THE AAA CHAMP TWICE THIS YEAR THE FIRST TIME HE BEAT HIM WAS IN OVER TIME THE SECOND TIME WENMOTH WON BY A LARGER MARGIN!!!!!!

March 16, 1998
E-Mail: sullivj2@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Nicholas Hedrick of Fairmont Senior is another junior who reached the 100-victory mark in the regular season, becoming the first junior in his school to do so. He too has a chance to become his school's all-time win leader next season.

March 16, 1998
comments: To: Ravenswood Fan
I would just like to say a few things to you about the comments you made about the AA/A 112 weight class. Yes, Schindler did beat Johnson twice but who stepped it up at states where it really counted? I believe Johnson did. The first match that Johnson had against Schindler Johnson didn't wrestle very well at all (Johnson knew this). The second (I personally watched) was very close and I believe Schindler was called for stalling 3 times. Schindler won the match by one point and the last 28 seconds ran for the outside. Johnson deserved the 112 State championship. I wish Johnson and Schindler would have wrestled in the finals but Hughes beat him. I think that says it ALL!

March 16, 1998
Thanks to some recent e-mails, I've learned that Josh Kuykendall (Frankfort), Josh Reed (Grafton), Jason Seville (Berkeley Springs), and Jason Ward (Cabell Midland) all reached their 100th career wins during the regular season this year. Congratulations guys! Note also that Seville and Ward are just juniors. Jason Seville will have a chance next year to become his school's all-time career victory leader, and since Cabell Midland is a very young school, Jason Ward may have already established the mark for their wrestling program (my apologies if I'm wrong).

March 15, 1998
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: I am trying to get into as many tournaments as I can. One every weekend if I can. However, I don't have any info on any Freestyle/Greco tourneys yet. I also want to find a qualifying tournament for the Tournament Of Champions. If anybody has any information on any tournaments (WV, MD, PA, or VA), please e-mail me or post on the forum. I have found some resourceful sites for tournaments (in addition to the list on this site). Here are two: www.ohiotofc.com (tournament of champions) & www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1574 Again, if anyone has an info, please send it my way. Thanks.

March 15, 1998
name: David Hearst
email: DaveHearst@aol.com
comments: Does anyone know of any tournaments there are in the spring to wrestle in?

March 15, 1998
email: mtnbiker007@juno.com
comments: Please include in the forum......
Earlier I submitted a question concerning not being able to videotape at the high school state wrestling tournament matches. I see now that someone has responded concerning a section being reserved at the tournament for video taping although they were unsure if that section was for parents videotaping. I received my information through word of mouth and I perceived that videotaping was not permitted for the past few years and that is why I submitted my question. If the information that I received was incorrect then I apologize to the concerned individuals, but if the information was correct, then I firmly stand with my first letter submitted.

March 13, 1998
Oops! My apologies go out to the Martinsburg team and fans for using the incorrect wording when referring to returning wrestlers in the latest edition of Mat Lines. What I was intending to list were teams who were returning 50% or more of a full team rather than 50% of their state qualifiers.

But now that got me curious, so I went back and looked to see what teams are returning 100% of their state qualifiers. I've asked Doc to update Mat Lines with the list.

March 13, 1998
comments: Just to let Jenny Sullivan know, Martinsburg is returning 100% of theri state qualifiers (6) for next year and they only lost two wrestlers dur to graduation. Look for at LEAST five more qualifiers for state next year

March 13, 1998
email: mtnbiker007@juno.com
comments: Please place this with the wrestling forum...thanks.....
Is it true that video cameras aren’t allowed at the state high school wrestling tournament? If so, why not? Who gave the state wrestling tournament administration permission to record our children and then resell the recordings for a profit? Are there parents that have signed a release concerning this? I’m sure most parents would agree that this procedure is unethical at best. Parents and especially the wrestlers work very hard throughout the season preparing for the finals and then we have to tolerate an arrogant group of individuals imposing rules of this magnitude? I thought the final high school state tournament was supposed to be a reward for the hard working wrestlers and parents. Apparently, everyone is willing to sit back and allow themselves to be manipulated by these unscrupulous individuals. If this is truly a common practice during the tournament, why hasn’t anyone challenged the administration? I believe it is time that the parents take a stand against this imperialism and contact knowledgeable representation.
Editor's note: Hmmmm. I don't know what the policy is for videotaping the State Tournament. I do know that there was an entire section of seats reserved for videotaping of the matches, and frequent announcements were made that videotaping was to be done from that section only, but I don't know if this section was restricted or not. Several allegations are made here, but since it is a signed post with a return e-mail address, we shall let it fly ........

March 12, 1998
Editor's note: We've had several requests for results from the Parkersburg Youth States held last weekend. If anyone can submit either via email or FAX (329-3301), we would be happy to post them.

March 12, 1998
Have two (2) tickets to sale for NCAA Div. I Wrestling Championships at Cleveland March 19-21

March 12, 1998
My name is Scott Schenerlein. I am an assistant wrestling coach at Parkersburg High School, and the coach that made the comments in the coaches meeting that Homer Southwood commented about in the forum. Although my comments were made in jest, I do believe that simply shaking hands at the end of the match is sufficient. I also think that any wrestler who has lost a match would agree.

At PHS, we teach our kids that losing is part of the game and you should DEAL with a loss like a man. However, we also teach that you should not ACCEPT losing. Once losing becomes ACCEPTABLE to a wrestler it makes it that much easier to lose the next time he is in a tough situation.

I brought the comments that Homer Southwood made about me to the attention of other Region 1 coaches at the state tournament and they were not offended by what I had said at the meeting.

Homer, my suggestion to you would be if you want to criticize a person whose opinions may differ from yours, you should speak to them about it in person instead of cowering behind a fictitious name on the internet.

With that said, I also consider this a closed matter.
scheny@wirefire.com

March 12, 1998
comments: I don't think that Grafton is moving up to AAA. This year's senior class was the largest in school's history. Every class under them is smaller. Next years incoming freshman's are one of the smallest in school history. Grafton will be A-AA in the forseeable future.

March 11, 1998
From WV-Wahoo:
In regards to Musselman having a wrestling team next year: In a recent article in the Martinsburg Journal, Charlie Cline, Athletic Director at Musselman High School is quoted saying that when Musselman moves into the new high School in the fall of 1998 they will have wrestling. He also said they will name a coach at Musselman as soon as possible (before the end of this school year).

March 10, 1998
comments: Does anyone know if the regions will be realigned next year? If not then Region II AAA is going to have a serious problem. Region II already has 11 teams. Musselman and Bridgeport are supposedly going to have teams next year. And Keyser and Grafton are supposedly going to move to AAA. Keyser already has (according to the chart on this website) enough students from grades 10-12 to be AAA. Bridgeport is one short of AAA and Grafton is three short of AAA. Surely Grafton and Bridgeport should expect to pick up at least that many students for next year. The WVSSAC needs to take a long look at the Regions and realign them. It is unfair to a Region II Wrestler who has 15 teams in his region while a Region II wrestler only has 7. That is my two cents worth for this week.
Editor's note: It is my understanding that the new A-AA-AAA classifications posted on this website will go into effect next year, and will be in place for two years regardless of what the enrollment happens to be in September 1998. Re-classification is done every two years. The numbers will not be re-examined until the 1999-00 school year. Keyser will move to AAA next year (presumably Region II), but Liberty Harrison will wrestle AA/A next year and thus leave AAA Region II. Shady Spring will move back to AA/A next year. Check the January 28 forum for further discussion.

In regards to Musselman, I haven't heard that they are having a team next year. I know that they are listed on the "region maps" on this website, but that may not mean anything. There are several teams which the SSAC lists as being in a region, but in reality their status seems to be year to year. On the AA/A side, Buffalo-Wayne, Buffalo Putnam, Parkersburg Catholic, and WV Deaf and Blind are listed, but I don't know if they had teams this year. Richwood dropped their team last year, but we were heartened to see them return to the mat this year. Wyoming East will be a new AA school next year, formed as a consolidation of Pineville and Mullens. Word has it that they will field a team. My nomination for "school most likely to add wrestling" in the next few years is Hundred. They have a fine youth program, and I can't imagine that Hundred's omission of a High School team will go uncorrected for very long.

March 10, 1998
comments: To Bridgeport wrestler:
With the strong wrestling programs in your area such as North Marion, two Fairmont schools, South Harrison, Braxton, Ritchie Morgantown.... there should be no problem getting into tournaments. Any of these schools would be glad to have you at any match or tournament. Going farther south there is the annual Jackson Co. Inv. which alternates between Ravenswood and Ripley, the WSAZ at Huntington and Shady Spring always has at least a couple of quality tournaments. With all of the consolidations and cutting of programs I think all coaches would be glad to see a program not only from Bridgeport, but from a lot of other schools that could (and did at one time) pick wrestling up. Good luck to starting your team!

March 9, 1998
name: Chris Basford
email: UffiziCat2@aol.com
comments: Comments to the Ravenswood and Calhoun writers. Both teams have something good to look forward to next season. Luke Salmons seems to be a very good HWT, and he should make some noise next season, but Alex McClung will be back next year. "A year makes a difference, if you work hard enough." Adam Shindler really impressed me this year, and I do think that he will be one to watch next season. Sure he beat a very good wrestler in Jimmy Johnson, but remember this."Styles make matches." That could have been the reason why Shindler got beat in the semi-finals. Sure getting jitters are natural, but Tyler Hughes really dealt with that pressure, and did a great job. I think that Hughes will be a name that not too many wrestlers will forget. Also another name people will notice next season is Eric Noel. If he makes weight. All of those are quality wrestlers.

March 9, 1998
email: paulda@iolinc.net
comments: I am a brother of a wrestler that lives in Bridgeport. My father and I are trying to get a wrestling team started at the High School and so far are not running into any problems. But one of our major points for the up coming season with the administration at Bridgeport is that we would be willing to participate in all "away" meets. I was just wondering if there would be any schools that would support us in this action in trying to set up matches at your school or in tournaments during the season. We have two wrestlers that go to Bridgeport that have placed in the top three at the Pee Wee State Tourn. at Parkersburg. It would be a shame if these two wreslters along with the boys here do not to have the chance to compete in a sport that they love so much. We have lots of interest and enthusiasm this is pretty much our last hurdle so if you could help it would be appreciated. You can contact us by email ask for Dennis or Darrin (myself). Thank You.
Editor's note: Trying to think of some comment to add here, but I can't quite come up with the words. I can't speak for the coaches, but I am confident that if the school takes up the sport, and a coach is named, he will have no problem finding matches.

March 9, 1998
email: BEREED1@aol.com
comments: Does anyone have a picture of the AAA 103 pounders on the winner's stand? If so, please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks.

March 9, 1998
Please post Dates and location of Freestyle and Greco/Roman tournaments. I'm interested in the Columbus Ohio area. If there is a web site to find this information please post.
Thanks

March 9, 1998
comments: Chris Johnson of Nitro is listed as a top sophomore when he is actually a freshman (runner-up, 103 lbs)
Editor's note: All I know is what I read in the tournament program. Can someone confirm this (before I change all the pages ....).

March 9, 1998
Maybe Schindler had some freshman jitters against Hughes, but Johnson did not have a sophomore jinx. Jimmy stepped it up when the title was on the line by beating Hughes 6-2. Early season victories don't always mean anything, just look at Gandee and McCartney (103) 5th-6th place.

March 9, 1998
comments: I would first like to congratulate Luke Salmons on his state championship. I would also like to say that Adam Schindler of Ravenswood beat Jimmy Johnson, Calhoun 112, twice, once by PIN. Next year Schindler will not be denied, and he will probably be in Johnson's weight class. Also look out for Ash Gandee at 103 again next year, he will be going after a championship also.

March 8, 1998
Here another one. Payne from Big Creek wrestled in AA/A 152 in place of Lester of Meadow Bridge. Can anyone fill me in of Payne's first name, class rank (fr, so, jr, sr), and record?

March 8, 1998
email: Wreslfreak@aol.com
comments: The freestyle/greco tournaments are upcoming, and my training partners are slim. If there are any wrestlers who would be interested in some training with me, or interested in learning some freestyle, feel free to e-mail me. Freestyle and greco are great supplements to folkstyle wrestling. I strongly recommend participating in it, because it raises the quality of folkstyle wrestling. Depending upon the amount of interest, a National team could be re-enacted. The team will go to Fargo, ND for the largest, most prestigious tournament in America--the Asics Junior Nationals.

March 8, 1998
comments: Don't forget in the fnals at the Winner's Choice Hedgesvilles Jim Shetler ( 3rd in AAA) beat Ash Winmoth (Champ of AA-A)

March 8, 1998
email: BgDgSports@aol.com
comments: In the matchup between the classes The AA champ has defeated the AAA champ at the winner's choice tournament at 103 pounds I believe. But for the most part AAA definitely holds the edge.

March 8, 1998
comments: I would like to congratulate the 130 pounder from North Marion. I think he is the best 130 in the state. And to the person talking about AA/AAA wrestling -- Gorby already pinned the AA champ. And congratulations to North Marion and Coach Michael.

March 8, 1998
email: Radclerk60
comments: I don't think they should eliminate the higher weight classes either. Grafton's heavyweight only weighed 215. He wanted to wrestle and Zebley hadn't lost so he couldn't wrestle him off during practice. I think he held his own pretty well. You can see a lot of good wrestling action in the upper weight classes.

March 8, 1998
comments: responding to the matchups with AA and AAA.
AAA WOULD WIN EVERY SINGLE ONE.

March 8, 1998
comments: In response to Mr. Hickman's question, there is an open tournament on March 14th at Frankfort High School. From what I've heard its supposed to be a sort of warm-up for the tournament in Jefferson on the 21st. For more information, you are supposed to call Dale Peer, at 726-7225.

March 8, 1998
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: To Dave Satterfield:
I'm home for a couple of weeks. We could get a jump on freestyle season by working out at the Cougar practices...what's your email address? I'll probably be at practice Tuesday.

March 8, 1998
email: Hawkeye@citynet.net
comments: I would like commend the coaches for doing such a fine job in their coaches poll in Feb. The AA/A poll was pretty much on the money in the state results. Keep the same polling procedures next year.

March 8, 1998
Comments: 103 pounders watch out for Hedgesville's up and coming three pounder. I won't tell you his name because you will find out soon enough.

March 6, 1998
comments: To: Coach
Many of the 215 lbs seemed to be football players who know a little wrestling. The most high school wrestlers are from 120 to 170lbs. I don't agree with removing any weight classes. I think the state showed that quality wrestling was present in all weight classes.

March 6, 1998
comments: The proposed weight classes for PA are reasonable all except they do not include a class between 189 and 275. There are a lot of natural 200-215 pound athletes competing in all states. Sure there are a lot of forfeits throughout the year in this class but look at the type of athlete that competes in the 215 in the state tournament. These are top shape wrestlers competing against other top shape wrestlers. Can you imagine the top two 215 this year from AAA and AA-A cutting weight from 215 to try to wrestle at 189 or those wrestlers trying to wrestle against the top two in 275. The lightest of the good 275 weighed 242. Can you imagine trying to wrestle a heavyweight that has to run to make 277 and you only weigh 215. Its in the best interest of the natural 200-215 wrestler to keep this weight class. I would not want one of my wrestlers to try to cut weight from 215 to 189 and I would not want him to be wrestling other wrestlers that outweigh him by 30-40-50 pounds. I know that it always used to be this way and if you ask coaches most will say they had some athletes that never came out for wrestling because of this dilemma.

March 6, 1998
email: UffiziCat2@aol.com
comments: When will we get our info about Senior's High School Nationals? When are the deadlines for entries due? When will AAU's start? If anyone can help me out, please send me anything.
Editor's note: I can't help you much. Last year I tried to sort out all of the various National Tournaments sponsored by the various sanctioning bodies, and didn't have much luck. My feeble results of this research can be found on the National page on this website. On that page you will find a link to the AAU website which may have some info you are looking for. Also, be sure to check out the info on the National Open High School Wrestling Championships, West Virginia Qualifier.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated March 13, 1998