West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 1999 Forum (Part Three)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 21, 1999
comments: My son wrestled this past season @95 lbs. Never once did he come close to being over weight at any weigh in. Our season ended February 5 and he hadn't wrestled since then, but has stayed busy running, working out, etc. He entered an open tournament this weekend; the first time he had experienced a tournament like this. We decided to drive up the night before for weigh ins. Prior to leaving home we weighed him in. He was right at 96 on our Healthometer scales. They were right on the money throughout the season. We made the 50 mile drive only to find out he weighed 97 on their scales. He loaded up with sweats and ran and had a good sweat going. He used the restroom, dried off and reweighed. Guess what? He now weighed 99 lbs. There's no way in the world he gained weight. That tells me the scales were off. The only choice was to bump him up to 105. My problem with that is a 10# jump in weight is too extreme for young kids like that. A kid like that goes from being seeded in his normal weight, to being thrown into a higher weight class very possibly because the scales were inaccurate. In middle school and high school there is a 2# allowance after January 15. I think something like that would have been appropriate.
Editor's note: I should stay out of this discussion, but, what the heck...
This is a tough problem and you have my sympathies. I have been a youth wrestling coach and a tournament director for a number of years, and so I have given the problem of not making weight at a tournament some thought. The reason that the 2# weight allowance works in High School is that wrestlers must certify at their "base weight" early in the season. By the time the regionals come around, they may only enter at the weight classs in which they have weighed-in 50% or more of their weigh-ins (note -- that's 50% of weigh-ins, not 50% of actual matches wrestled. He may have weighed in low and wrestled up high, but qualifies for the low weight). They are not allowed to move from, say, 130 to 127 at regional time and take the two pound allowance at regionals unless they have 50% of their weigh-ins at 125 and made base weight there. If there is any question, the coach may be asked to provide documentation on this point, and enforcement is via the WVSSAC in disputed cases (if such ever arise). However, in youth wrestling, there is nothing to keep a youth wrestler from taking advantage of a 2 lb allowance and misusing it to try to cut three more pounds (rather that get an extra two) at the end of the season. There is no sanctioning body for youth wrestling in WV (as has been pointed out) and there is nothing to keep wrestlers and overzealous parents from standing a "two pound allowance" on its ear. There would be no way to document or verify "base weight" for a youth wrestler. The Parkersburg and Wheeling State Tournament people would have a nightmare trying to settle disputes over a wrestler's "base weight" since there are no rules or governing body to control such. The only alternative would be to simply add 2 pounds to the usual advertised weight classes -- i.e., 47, 52, 57, 62, etc. That might only cause many to try to cut extra weight at the end of the season rather than take an extra two pounds. I suspect that if your son's weight class at this particular tournament had been advertised to be 97, he would find some 100 pounders in his bracket at the tournament who had been at 105 all season and decided to cut to 97 "for the states," while many of his former opponents who were light at 95 had moved down to 92. The end result would probably be essentially the same as if he had just bumped up to a higher weight class to start with.

I have thought about the question of a "sanctioning" body for youth wrestling in West Virginia. I agree with Rick Welker that there would be some advantages to having a sanctioning body for youth wrestling. A few years ago I attended a couple of meetings which explored the possibility of organizing youth wrestling in WV under a "sanctioning body." This initiative didn't progress very far, and, as a matter of historical curiosity, led to the "alternate states" which have been held in Clarksburg, and, this season, in Wheeling. If someone wanted to re-visit this issue, the obvious "sanctioning body" would be to put all youth wrestling in West Virginia under the auspices of USA Wrestling. I have looked in to that, and all I could see was expense and paperwork for a team charter, expense for each wresler to get a membership card, and other rules for having a tournament sanctioned by USA Wrestling - team charters, USA Cards, Official USA Wrestling Pairers (I don't exactly know what a pairer is, I suppose it is the guy who does the seeding?), USA Wrestling approved officials, etc. . A lot of expense and hassle and little in return - except that the tournament would be "sanctioned," a little bit of liability insurance coverage, and an official organization to declare which Youth State Championship is the "true" state championship ("Will the REAL state tournament please stand up?"). I don't see youth wrestling coaches and tournament directors lining up to get USA Wrestling Charters any time soon.

As a tournament director, I can say this -- a few years ago I gave up and started advertising that "wrestlers who fail to make weight may move to a different weight class for an additional entry fee." (Or this year, they were treated as a walk-in and charged an extra $5.00). I have found that in a tournament with 300 to 450 wrestlers, there will only be maybe 3 or 4 who don't make weight. I have found that the little bit of trouble it takes to move 3 or 4 kids to a different bracket on the day of the tournament is well worth the effort in order to avoid hard feelings over someone not making weight. We give 1/2 pound (to try to minimize "your scales aren't right" arguments). We tell overweight kids to come back at the end of weigh-ins and let them try any set of scales we have (usually 4 or more sets), and if they make weight on any of them, then O.K. We do charge extra money to change weight on day of tournament, which is only fair.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their tournament, but that's how I do it. It's true that some kids who need to move up may be moving up to a place they don't want to be. For instance, moving from the weight below unlimited to unlimited. That is a fact of wrestling that unfortunately some kids must deal with. There are several High School wrestlers who weigh less than 95 lbs and wish for the return of the 95 lb wt class, but it is not there for them and they just have to deal with it. A high-schooler who weighs 181 either needs to cut 10 lbs to '71, or give up weight to '89. Pity the poor junior high kid who weighs 175 at the beginning of the season. He either has to cut to '65 or give up as much as 75 lbs for the heavyweight division (the new weight class for Jr Hi tournaments has helped in that regard).

One of these days (when I get a powerful enough computer), I'm gonna run a youth tournament with NO advertised weight classes - just enter, show up, get weighed, and we'll put you on a bracket. But, that's another story...

March 21, 1999
email: afndhouse2@aol.com
comments: I was wondering if anyone had the results for 13-15 yr. old weight classes from the Wheeling State youth tournament, held on March 13. If so, please email me such that I can ask about some of the results.

March 20, 1999
comments: To: Dean Moore
Comments: I believe you hit the nail on the head with your comments. The Jr. weight classes almost as a rule are only five lbs apart, this should make it very easy for a child to make weight with cutting little or none. Lets not forget who this is all for -- THE KIDS. I have 2 sons that came through the Jr. ranks and my youngest wrestled his last Jr. and Youth State Tournaments this year. Believe me when you are sitting there and realize that its a fact, it will bring a tear to your eye, I dont care who you are. Let THEM enjoy it while it lasts because it will be done before you know it. There are times when I think back and wish I had made it a little more FUN for mine. Winning a state championship seems really important at the time, but is it? It is the hard work and discipline that comes with striving towards that goal that build character. I had the mother of a regular opponent of my son come up to me at the youth states and tell me what a great wrestler he was, she went on to add, that besides that he is a very nice young man. My son has won 3 Youth state championships and 2 Jr., and they all seem unimportant when compared to how he has been disciplined and "MOLDED" by the sport. To all you parents out there if you want your child to work hard and strive to be the best, don't place blame on officals, tournament staff or anyone else. Bad calls happen, mistakes happen and yes some unfair things happen but is that not life. In the end its what the sport does positive for the participants that matters. LET THEM HAVE FUN..........

March 20, 1999
comments: It is stuipid for any peewee wrestler to cut weight. If you can't make weight wrestle up then. Its only peewee

March 20, 1999
email: welkerra@newriver.usmc.mil
comments: Youth wrestling fans,
The only way for the weigh in problem and other problems for that matter to be rectified is to some how establish a governing body, sort of like the SSAC at the high school level. It will be very difficult to do but believe me it will pay off once it is set in place and here is how. I am sure that all parents of youth wrestlers have spent many weekends at tournaments and we have all seen the poor loser, that some how gets himself thrown out of a tournament. The only consequences that he has to suffer is the wrath of his parents. But he will be participating in the next event. With some type of governing body he could or should be suspended. Also the governing body could give weight allowances for late season tournaments. Let me tell you how I think it could be set up. All wrestlers would register through the governing body (paying a small fee approx $10 a year). Tournaments would also have to register so they can be a sanctioned event and would heve to play by the rules of the governing body -- ie.. weight allowances, suspended wrestlers, coaches etc. Also, the governing body would ensure every sanctioned tournament would have to use certified card carrying officials and not an individual that read the rule book the night before the event -- this would ensure safety for the participants and hopefully accurate judication of the rules. Every tournament that is a sanctioned event will receive a roster of registered wrestlers and wrestlers not on the roster will not be able to participate. There should be no cut off date for wrestlers to register. However, they must register at least one week prior to the event so the tournament director will be able to have an accurate roster. The list could go on and on but I think that you get the jist of what I'm saying. This will give youth wrestling a little more class and whole lot more integrity.

March 20, 1999
email: wvmatman@hotmail.com
comments: To the youth wrestlers mother, being a coach I will give my point of view on this. I first and foremost think that weight classes at tournaments should be as the are advertised on the wrestling forms. Giving weight is not only unfair to the kids that pay the price to get to that weight but it is DIS-HONEST! The youth tournaments have weight classes every few pounds until you get to the 13-15 age group. It is the responsibility of the parent and the wrestler to see that they are entered in a weight class that they can make. A lot of the trouble with kids these days is they are given things the easy way instead of earning them with hard work and a little sweat. I do think that you have a good son and I am sure being a 2 time state junior champion that he knows what hard work is . I wish him good luck on making weight the next time he enters a weight class. In closing I didn't mean to be dis-respectful but I wish parents would teach kids that a little extra hard work goes a long way in reaching their goal!
Coach Patriot Wrestling Club.

March 18, 1999
comments: COMMENT TO YOUTH WRESTLING MOM: FIRST OF ALL LET ME SAY I'M SORRY YOUR SON DID NOT MAKE WEIGHT. I GUESS AFTER TWO ATTEMPTS (FRIDAY PM AND SATURDAY AM) HE MUST HAVE REALLY BEEN DISAPPOINTED. I FIND IT REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE THAT ANYONE WAS GIVEN 3 LBS. THE MEN MONITORING THE WEIGH INS ARE THERE FOR ALL THE YOUTH WRESTLERS NOT JUST FOR THE ONES IN THE PBURG AREA. REMEMBER IT'S FOR THE KIDS NOT "MOM'S OR DAD'S! JUST LET THE KIDS WRESTLE IN A COMFORTABLE WEIGHT AND STOP HAVING THEM LOSE WEIGHT. I DON'T KNOW WHY "MOMS" ARE BACK THERE IN THE WEIGH IN AREA ANYWAY. THAT AREA IS FOR THE COACH'S, WRESTLERS AND THE GUYS WHO WEIGH EVERYONE IN. I'M SORRY YOUR SON WILL MISS OUT ON THE STATE TOURNEY NEXT YEAR, I'M SURE "HE" WILL MISS IT.

March 18, 1999
comments: COMMENT TO WRESTLING MOM: WRESTLING GOING DOWNHILL IN THE PARKERSBURG AREA? I DON'T THINK SO, IT'S THE STRONGEST I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS. I AGREE THAT IF YOUR SON IS HAVING A HARD TIME MAKING WEIGHT HE SHOULD MOVE UP TO THE NEXT WEIGHT CLASS WHY PUT HIM THROUGH ALL THAT. MY SON HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO HIM LAST YEAR BUT INSTEAD OF BLAMING OTHERS FOR HIM NOT MAKING WEIGHT WE DECIDED IT WASN'T WORTH ALL THE TEARS SO THIS YEAR WE LET HIM WRESTLE HIS TRUE WEIGHT AND IT WAS A GREAT SEASON. THESE YOUNG MEN DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT TO WRESTLE IF THEY ARE TRUE STATE CHAMPS THEY WILL COME OUT AS A WINNER!

March 18, 1999
comments: Let me first say I agree with youth wrestling mom that the state tournament in Parkersburg should give a late-season 2 lb. allowance or so to allow for the growth of young wrestlers. That said, I simply do not believe ANYONE was given ANY more than the 1/10th of a pound allowance announced to everyone, let alone 2 lbs. The scales were out for dozens to see every weigh-in (in fact my son was embarrassed with all the moms around) and I saw everyone being treated fairly.The reason so many youngsters did not make weight is this is the FIRST tournament that many of them had to play by the rules on a digital scale. That is only fair to those boys who are at the low end of their weight class. I am not from Parkersburg, and do not know anyone from the Wood Co. Parks Board. Nonetheless, from what I personally witnessed it was a fair--albeit strict--weigh in.

March 18, 1999
email: hayhurst@ruralnet.org
comments: To the YOUTH WRESTLING MOM:
in high school states they give wrestlers 2 pounds in the middle of the year. it is still very hard for them to make weight. i completly understand where you are coming from , BUT your son had a chance to weight in on friday 1 day before the state tourn begins. if he didnt make weight that night or the next morning then that is no one whom runs the state tourns fault. if you are so concerned about your growing son then maybe he should move up a weight class. a good wrestler shouldnt have to cut weight to WIN.

March 18, 1999
comments: First of all I want to congratulate all the youth wrestlers who won State Title's this year, and everyone who even made weight. My son was a defending State Champ BUT this year he did not make weight. He was a quarter of a pound over but they would not let him wrestle. Even by the time the High School states come around, they allow 2 pounds. I find something wrong with a program that won't give at least half of a pound to youth wrestlers that are still growing. I personally saw the people that was weighing kids in let the hometown boys make weight that was over but since my son was from out of town, he had to be on exact weight. He made it on the scales for the other age groups, but because he was a quarter of a pound (after he made weight on three different scales from our area), they told us he had to scratch. What is this teaching the youth of this state? He was absolutely devasted with what they told him after watching other kids not make weight (nor try), but be allowed to participate. We even saw one boy weigh in 3 pounds over, but he was allowed to wrestle.

I can understand why the participation at the States in Parkersburg are going downhill,... It will be the last time our son will give them a dime for any reason. What a shame it is that the best wrestlers in the state do not even show for this week-end.

It has without a doubt left a very bitter taste in this mom's mouth, let alone her son that would have been a State Champ this year. Why is wrestling dying in this area with the youth, HUHHHHHH, let me think about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 1999
comments: Good luck also to the other 2 WV natives wrestling in the NCAA's this week-end: Jeremy Hart (App. St.), from MacArthur, WV, 25-6 at 141 lbs; and Sam Kline (WVU), from Elkins, WV, 23-4 at 174 lbs., coming off a first place finish in the EWL's.

March 18, 1999
comments: http://cid.unomaha.edu/~cybermav/nationals/index.htm
link to NCAA Division II results

March 16, 1999
comments: how much are your used mats

March 16, 1999
comments: Follow the NCAA's this weekend (see link)
http://www.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/99ncaawr/
Let's root for former WV AAA State Champion Mark Samples (wrestled for George Washington), a senior at Edinboro with a 25-2 record at 165 lbs.

March 16, 1999
Would like to purchased used mats in good condition for a begining little league program. We are just starting out in 1999-2000 and would appreciate any leads on reasonably priced mats. Please respond to dafells@inet one.net or call 304-469-3918 and leave message

March 16, 1999
email: jmorris@wvadventures.com
comments: I hope you print this for one of our time meambers to see so he can see that we are thinking of him he moved to Florida the day after the states and we miss him very much, so Mr. Ledbetter if you are reading this email me ...jmorris@wvadventures.com

March 15, 1999
comments: The state youth championships held in Parkersburg attracted over 500 wrestlers on 5 mats over two days. The spin-off youth wrestling championships held in Wheeling this past weekend (it was held in Clarksburg last year) had 575 wrestlers on 6 mats and finished in one day. I would love to see the results posted to archive these achievements and compare them to later high school champions. Anyone out there from the Wood Co. Parks Commission? This year the Wheeling tournament made its entry form available on this web site. Thanks to anyone who can post these results.

March 14, 1999
comments: Could someone please post the results from the Parkersburg youth state tournament and the youth state championship held at Wheeling ?

March 14, 1999
email: Dstan81351@aol.com
comments: To EP
The reason we are using a qualifier for the national Team that uses folkstyle is that there is currently little freestyle wrestling in West Virgina. On this issue I must rely on the good judgement of Bill Archer whos has years of experience with USA wrestling. If the tournament is in a style the kid's are not comfortable they won't try out. The initial feedback that I have supports what Bill has experienced.
I don't disagree that this is a bit unusual but remember what our objective is. To get the best wrestlers from WV on the bus going to Fargo. I have all the confidence that are coaching staff can provide the skills training.
On a side note our Freestyle Grecco Team returned from a succesfull trip to Indianapolis last night. We competed in a tournament with over 700 wrestlers. Congratulations to;
Jacob Stanley 1st in Greco and 1st in Freestyle
Justin Stanley 2nd in Greco and 2nd in Freestyle
Josh Coffey 1st in Greco and 2nd in Freestyle
Jared Walters 3rd in Greco and 1st in Freestyle
JP Stanley 1st in Greco and 1st in Frestyle

Well done

March 14, 1999
email: cmiller@weir.net
comments: Oak Glen Wrestling site. Stats and pictures. For fans and foes alike but really for the kids...they had a great season,they deserve to be seen by the world! Thanks Tim Miller....for an excellent site!
http://www.weir.net/~cmiller/OGPAGE.html

March 14, 1999
I am interested in a used wrestling mat Please e-mail me at Froelich@inos.com

March 13, 1999
comments: Finally, W.Va. get's a freestyle team to compeat in the Big One in Fargo. And it is big, last year 4,500 wrestlers, 24 mats. Some of the best wrestling anyone can ever ask to see or participate in. A normal bracket will have over or close to 100 wrestlers. It's better than the Olympics. One Question, I see the qualifier for this team is going to be Folkstyle, ????? Why. They won't be wrestling Folkstyle in Fargo.
Good Luck Team W.Va. !

March 13, 1999
email: monarch@ovnet.com
comments: I was able to attend the state tournament this year and i had a great time. It never fails to be one of the most exciting weekeend of the year. I would like to make a couple of suggestions that I think would help for next year.
1. have 2 ref in the semi's(this is a must).
2 Change the stalling rule back.
I would like to say congrats to a couple of my buddys Dan Stanly, Jason Ward and Brian Flanigan we will all miss you (except for your oppents). I would also like to thank Tim Miller for such a great state wrestling web site. Probaly the best in the country.

March 13, 1999
email: quarter_nelson@yahoo.com
comments: Congrats to Josh Waugh, wrestling for West Liberty. As of this posting, the 97 Berkeley Springs grad is still competing in the NCAA Division II nationals. He lost his first match 2-8 against Jose Medina of Nebraska-Omaha. He won in overtime against the #6 seed and is now in the third round of consolation bracket.

March 11, 1999
For the Forum:
Congratulations to Jeremy Hart for qualifing for the NCAA Tournament. I was fortunate enough to see Jeremy win the Southern Conference, at 141 lbs., held at UNC Greensboro two weeks ago. He also won the Outstanding Wrestler Award for the Tournament. WAY TO GO Jeremy!!!! Best of Luck next week at Penn State in the NCAA's
Let's Go Mountaineer!! That's Appalachain State University Mountaineer

March 11, 1999
email: jomounty@aol.com
comments: I agree with Randy Bierce. Region 1 dominates. LOOK IT UP! Question: How many times has a team outside of region 1 won a AAA state title since the calsses split in 1969.
Answer: 1
Not bad Region 1!!!
In the eighties and nineties AA-A in region 1 was not too bad either. Cameron, Williamstown, St. Mary's. Enough said!

March 11, 1999
email: RebCoach@aol.com
comments: Isn't it funny how a lot of people analyzes the state tournament results every year and suggests regional realignment? Last year, everyone was talking about AAA's power swing from Region I...they were somewhat correct...for one year. Check the results, i.e., the OVERALL results: the state champs, the state place-winners, the overall placing of teams, and the results by 4th-place finishers. There's always some fluctuation from year-to-year; Region 3 has enjoyed more success the last several years, Region 2 has gotten stronger; but both of the these regions got stronger at the top. Year in and year out, Region I sets almost every standard of wrestling excellence. There's no need for arguments: just look it up! Before OG and Weirton dropped to AA, the old Region I that consisted of Wheeling Park, John Marshall, Brooke, Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Oak Glen and Weirton was tough to qualify in....some people around the state always complained about there "only being 7 teams in Region I", but there were few schools volunteering to jump in THAT particular qualifier. Ripley did for a couple years, Pt. Pleasant for one, and that was it. These comments are meant for AAA, but also apply to a degree, for AA/A. Perhapsthis will cause more people to think, but probably it'll just stir more commentary.....hmmm, not bad...

March 11, 1999
Anthony Regalbutto -- can you send me an email so that I can get in contact with you for freestyle wrestling.
Dennis Stanley

March 10, 1999
email: Jomounty@aol.com
comments: Just a note to congatulate Chad Purpura of Bishop Donahue. I would also like to comment on the Caoch of the Year Award. I think it is a shame that almost every year it goes to the coach whose team wins the title. I just want to point out that there are coaches out there such as Emil Nardone who only started a high school program at Bishop Donahue 15 years ago. Within 15 years he took a school of 120 students tops, absolutely no Junior High feeder program because it is a Catholic School wit no junior high teams, and he has produced the following.
5 State Champions
6 th place finish n the state in 1994
1 Most Outstanding Wrestler Award
Numerous State Place winners
All of this was done with being the smallest school in the state with a wrestling team, no feeder program and competeting in the toughest region in AA-A. ( Region 1 is the toughest in AAA also). Emil Nardone, and his assisstant Jeff Giovengo, and former assisstant Tom Giovengo should be congratulated for a fine job. It has been a pleasure to see such a program. I say those are qualifications for Coach of the Year I welcome any return comments..

March 10, 1999
email: bu118@ovnet.com
comments: HOLD THE PHONE CHARLIE BROWN....let me see..everything that has been posted concerning OAK GLEN has been answered appropriately. Concerning the word "sharing" regarding Larry Shaw not getting Coach of the Year? Everything the poster mentioned is done two fold with Larry Shaw. What was not mentioned in the poster comments was Larry Shaw's coaching boasts THREE PEAT! YEP...sharing from the youth program, fans, parents and the high school..congratulations to Larry Shaw and thanks for sharing with this family.
BTW....gotta a kick out of the editors reply regarding the post of making a mistake and what the internet does. Very true statement and thanks again for this forum. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE KIDS and see you next season!

http://www.pwrlftr.com

March 9, 1999
comments: I understand where those concerned people are coming from about that skin infection, I know because I missed 3 days of school last week because of it. also its not a staph infection, its herpes simplex. So all of those kids who have it need a medicine called Famvir or Zovirax. Its not overthe counter so you need a prescription for it.I took it and that stuff whent away in about five days.

March 9, 1999
comments: My son also wrestled in the 215 lb class at the states , and also developed a staph infection on Sunday following the tournament. I trusted that the officials and coaches would have done something if that other kid had something that was serious or contagious, especially since his condition was so obvious. My son has been on antibiotics for over a week now, and has not yet recovered. He has wrestled for four years in high school, and had never gotten anything before, until his final tournament.....

March 9, 1999
comments: OK - in case some people were not aware of it yet - I added a page onto my website (http://www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html) titled "Why people dislike OG". I put it up the other day, and have gotten quite a bit of feedback on it already - mostly people offering more material for it. So, I changed it a little tonight - hopefully for the better. So go read it if you get a chance, and email me what you think OK? thanks
Editor's note: Well, er, um, gee whiz. Maybe this would be a good time to point out that Talon's views are her own and do not necessarily reflect those of WV-Mat, and that a link to this page should not imply an endorsement, etc. There have been 4 websites that I know of which have sprung up this year with wrestling related material.

Talon's page
Animal's page
Spiderman's page
Derek's page

The nice thing about the Internet is that if you make the effort to put up a website, you have a forum to express your opinion on just about anything. The bad thing about the Internet is that if you make the effort to put up a website, you have a forum to express your opinion on just about anything......(smile)

March 9, 1999
comments: For anyone who wants to know the person who beat Ash Wenmoth this year: Nate Goulosh of Stow Walsh Jesuit placed 2nd in the state of Ohio in Div 2 at 112. Ash lost a one point match at the Midwest Classic in Worthington Oh to this kid.

March 9, 1999
comments: My friend placed 2nd in the 1996 state tournament (as a senior) and I was just wondering why the seniors that placed in the top three in their weight classes that year are not listed (in the top wrestlers page)like they are for the more recent years... maybe just an oversight, but I think those guys deserve just as much recognition as anyone else. Thanks.
Editor's note: You are right, and I stand guilty as charged. I changed the format of that page after the first year. I'll admit that it was an arbitrary decision about who to include. Maybe someday, for the record, I'll go back and "buff-up" the first year's page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page