West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March 1999 Forum (Part Four)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

March 29, 1999
comments: I want to thank all who are sending in the old newspaper results from past state tournaments. My father-in-law made it to the state finals in 1950--or so my mother-in-law told me--but no one ever saved a newspaper clipping. How proud my kids' grandpa will be when I take a printout of your 1950 results to his house. You will have made his day--almost 50 years later. Thanks for remembering the pioneers of WV wrestling. Not to be greedy, but how about the 1951 results--his senior year? Thanks.

March 29, 1999
comments: It seems every year the talk about the Jr. States is the same- WEIGHT!! It seems someone is always talking about someone that was given a pound or two.To keep the blame from going to the coaches of the Wood Co. Rec. Maybe using officials on the scales would stop some of the problems.Giving weight should not be allowed especially at the state tournament.After all thats why we have different weight classes.

March 29, 1999
comments: CONGRATULATIONS TO ALEX AND JASON!!
Both Alex and Jason wrestled great. They prepared like they were supposed to and it showed each time they took the mat. They both lost to the eventual champions of their weight classes. Not to take away from their success, but it does bring up another issue. Everytime I go to one of these events, I always wonder how come other wv wrestlers are not competing. And then people around the state ask me how come a big-time college coach won't look at this wrestler or that wrestler from wv. To answer that question, you have got to put yourself in the position of a big-time college coach who only has 9.9 full scholarships to give for a sport that requires 10 starters on a team (thanks to title IX). That is why most wrestlers on scholarship have partial scholarships. These college coaches, who are looking at recruits from all over the nation, are investing the future of their programs in 18 year old high school seniors. If they gamble on the wrong young man, they could lose their jobs. In college, it's all about winning. And college coaches are not going to gamble a precious scholarship on a wv kid who only won or placed high in the state tournament. A scholarship is won at the national level tournaments. THESE DAYS, YOU WILL NOT GET A SCHOLARSHIP SIMPLY BY DOING WELL IN WV!! Each wrestler has to prove himself outside of the state against the nation's best. It's a shame to go to these tournaments and wonder how a wrestler from wv WOULD HAVE DONE, because he chooses not to wrestle in the off-season in these national events. My senior year of high school ('93) wv had one of the best senior classes in the nation. We gained national exposure from the big magazines and the college coaches took notice. WV had 5 all-americans at the national high school tournament and 2 all-americans at the prestigious Jr. Nationals. That year WV placed 10th in the national team race!! That class consisted of: Mike Mason (WVU), Doug Moore (WVU), Steve Higgins (WVU), and me, Rob Archer (Ohio State U.). All of us signed scholarships with these schools and others walked on at other schools. It is a fact that none of these guys or myself would ever have gotten a college scholarship if we did not wrestle in these tournaments. The opportunities are improving for wv state wrestlers and national teams are going to be a constant for years to come. Jason and Alex have both realized this and I know that they will be on the WV Jr. National team this summer. I was approached by college coaches just this weekend in Pittsburgh and they were asking me what these two young men had planned for the future. WV has other kids in the state that should be getting this exposure also. So, if you're serious about wrestling (coach, wrestler,or parent), then I encourage you to become involved with the WV Cadet and Jr. National team (qualifier May 8th at Cabell Midland). These are the kinds of tournaments I was talking about. If you're looking to possibly make wrestling part of your future, I ask you, how will you get those coaches attention when it's your turn?

March 29, 1999
There has been a change of site and date for the 2nd annual National Open Wrestling Championships. This is the National Tournament for which one must qualify at the WV qualifier to be held at University High School on April 24th.
New Information-all divisions
DATE: JUNE 26th - 28th
SITE: Birmingham Jefferson Convention Center Birmingham, Alabama

March 29, 1999
comments: Congratulatons to Alex Reed and Jason Ward for achieving All American status at high school nationals. Alex plaaced fourth at 103 and Jason was second at 152. They were the only wrestlers from WV who placed but a decent contingent of guys from WV competed. To find out more visit Talon's page. URL is lower down on the forum. Both these guys are great young men and have paid their dues over the years. I'm sure that we had many others who could have placed if they had made the trip to Pittsburgh. It just shows that wrestling is on the upswing in our state and we can be competitive with anyone.

March 29, 1999
comments: a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to Jason Ward for placing 2nd in the High School Nationals in Pennsylvania this weekend. We are so very proud of you!!!!!!

March 29, 1999
email: Jared711@aol.com
comments: I would like to congratulate WV All Americans. Alex Reed 4th. and Jason Ward runner up. I hope we have more in the future.

March 29, 1999
email: ABONIC@AOL.COM
comments: To: Charlie Easter
That is also the system they use back in Il. I think it's a great way to prevent the 2 and 3 man brackets. Also I could'nt agree with your comments more.

March 29, 1999
email: ryjaydona@iolinc.net
comments: To: Sherry Hayhurst
HEAR, HEAR!!! Finally, someone speaking with some sense. I really enjoy this site, but I was getting a little sick and tired of all of the slamming. I wanted to respond to all of the bashing, but I was having a difficult time putting things into perspective without sounding angry. Thank you for doing it for me. I second your opinion.

March 28, 1999
email: jmc1204@aol.com
comments: To: OG fan
Apparently you have forgotten about Martins Ferry Wrestling.

March 28, 1999
email: rhomat27@hotmail.com
comments: National High School Wrestling Homepage. This is a page devoted to wrestling from the national level. I hope you will check it out!

March 28, 1999
comments: Mike Mason's camp is June 14th-17th at Williamstown High School. Cost is $95.00, register before May 14 and it's only $85.00. For more information contact Mike Mason at 53 Kittle st Williamstown, WV 26187

March 27, 1999
comments: Just wanted to remind everyone that the National High School Wrestling Championships are going on this weekend, and there are several WV guys there. You can see all the results each day by going to http://www.nhsca.com, or you can just go to my webpage (http://www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html) to see how the guys from WV are doing - I'm going to update my page after each session (hopefully) with just with WV results (so you don't have to sift through everything just to find the one or two matches you're looking for). Oh - and it looks like they're going to broadcast the finals over the internet. So, if a WV guys actually makes it there..... I think everyone should tune in.

March 27, 1999
email: hayhurst@ruralnet.org
comments: It is a real shame that some people feel they have to slam ANY West Virginia wrestling program. As a whole, West Virginia wrestlers should be proud of each and every program in our great State. The programs have come along way due to the dedication of some great coaches and the dedication of the wrestlers themselves.WV wrestlers are finally being recognized in this tough and competitve sport nationwide. All people of this State should be proud, no matter what program you are in or where you came from. One last note, no wrestler can stay on top forever, most people cant make a living at wrestling, so use wrestling as a tool for education. Then what you got for free, give for free, Become a WV wrestling coach. Keep teaching our youth the sport.

March 27, 1999
comments: To: Charles Easter
Ref the weight system you described, its called the Madison system and is used regularly at Tournaments in the east (Delaware). They use it primarily in the early and late tournaments to help solve the problem of 2 and 3 man brackets. But your observations are excellent.

March 27, 1999
comments: Oak Glen is the best there is, and the best there ever will be.

March 26, 1999
email: PBerry@access.k12.wv
comments: Jeremy Berry: WV native, 3x Prep State Champ in Pa (Mercersburg Academy), 3rd at National Preps, Ranked 10th in USA Wrestling Magazine...and oh yea...Former Parkersburg Cougar...we're proud of you Jeremy...thanks Mike Litton, Ken Chertow, Rick Hendrickson and Mike Mason!!!

March 26, 1999
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: To: Jason Hayhurst
I agree with you, but then again, I don't. I agree with you on the fact that the cougars, as a whole, are probably better than the bears. However, I believe that Hedgesvilles lightweights are, hands-down, the best light weights in the state... no matter the classification. Also, Anthony Regalbuto can and has won the big matches (State Champ and All-American). He is the best lightweight in THE STATE. As far as that scholarship goes...just wait and see Anthony's. He will be able to go to any COLLEGE he wants to...the heck with High School scholarships...it would be nice to see you and Anthony wrestle...I'd pay to see it, and I'd get my moneys worth, I'm sure.

March 26, 1999
email: quarter_nelson@yahoo.com
comments: Old man, hope there is a horde of West Virginians going to Pittsburgh. I attended the tournament in 97 and this year saw at least twenty of the competitors at Division I finals at Penn State including Cael Sanderson who was the wrestler of the tournament. This tourney definitely gives the opportunity to compete against the top high school competition in the country. Good luck West Virginians!

March 26, 1999
comments: Youth Wrestling Mom:
I appreciate all the comments in response to my son not making weight. However, my son had never skipped a meal nor a snack in order to cut weight. In fact, we, as a family, eat better during wrestling season than any other time of the year. I have my degree in Fitness and Nutrition and go by my diets. My son was fine with his weight all season long. But it is a very long season and my son wasn't having trouble making weight when we sent the Pkbg. State form in in FEBRUARY. Either let the kids enter closer to State time or give at least half of a pound weight allowance. Everyone I spoke to at Friday night weigh-ins commented on how heavy the scales were. We would have gladly moved our son up another weight class if that would have been allowed.

March 26, 1999
absolutely no comparison.....you cannot compare the hedgesville peewee program to the cougars. lately the hedgesville program has produced some great wrestlers...none of which have beat a phs wrestler. over the last 10 years phs has won 5 state championships, 2 runner-ups, 3 outstanding wrestler awards, 30 state champs, and 12 all-americans (many of which were cougars). the present cougars have produced many wv junior state champs, all americans, and a few tulsa national champs. phs had 4 in the finals this year and 2 champs......hedgesville, in last 10 years was barely competitive until about 3 years ago, there has only been 2 state champs (1 this year, jarrett won 2 in the 80's), they have never made a serious run at a state championship. the wrestlers that were mentioned are good wrestlers and are very competitive, but if you are going to compare the entire wrestling programs of hedgesville to those of the cougars, parkersburg, and parkersburg south (many cougars have wrestled at south) you would be well advised to do a better job of picking your battles.

March 26, 1999
comments: Thanks for posting the results of the WV Jr. Tournament. I think it would provide some framework, however, to also list the actual number of wrestlers who competed in each weight class. Alot of the "normal" weight classes had full brackets with a pigtail or two--that is 20 wrestlers. To place in the top 6 is quite an accomplishment. However, unlike the full brackets at the high school tournament, at the jr. tourney some of the very light and and heavier weight classes had only 6 or even LESS wrestlers. A kid in one class could win 2 matches and then lose 2 tough decisions and go home empty-handed. Another youth wrestler could lose 2 matches and go home with a third place trophy. I think that also posting the actual number of wrestlers who participated in each class would put things in proper perspective, especially for someone who is checking the archives years from now. As an aside, I always thought it teaches sportsmanship to require a youth wrestler to have won at least one match before receiving a trophy. Otherwise, it cheapens the meaning for others who worked hard and sends the wrong message to some. Perhaps if and when Wheeling sends in its state jr. results it will include this info.

March 26, 1999
comments: just wondering how much Mike Mason's wrestling camp costs. please submit it on the forum.

March 26, 1999
comments: About weight cutting and youth wrestling in general.
There is a system of tournament bracketing that reduces the desire to cut weight, I'm not sure of it's proper name, but it is used widely in Indiana.The wrestlers are BLOCKED together in age groups and a weight RANGE. For example, the tourney has 8 or 16 man brackets, with a weight range of six pounds between the high and low weights. Kids are put into the bracket until it is full then the next weight class is created and so on for the complete age group. The best thing is
1,full brackets,
2,youare not always wrestling the same kids week after week and most important
3,there is NO reason to cut weight ,YOU MIGHT END UP THE LIGHT WEIGHT IN THE BRACKET THAT WEEK,OR CUT DOWN AND MEET THE KID THAT YOU ARE RUNNING FROM !! A popular argument is kids have to learn to CUT, but it is a hard part of wrestling, one that should be learned after they learn to WRESTLE !! What about trophies ? How many do you buy? Reduce the size,or use MEDALS, an award for first is still first it doesn't have to be 3 feet tall. If you have a pre-enter tournament break down the entries by age group, count the number divide by the bracket size, and add 2-3 sets of extra awards for the odd sized kids. Finally, there are no problems at the scales.

March 24, 1999
comments: Was there another youth state tournament held in Wheeling ? Just wondering since Parkersburg is the only youth state tourney that has posted their results for us..........

March 24, 1999
comments: How many do we have planning to go to Pittsburgh this weekend for the H.S. Nationals?

March 24, 1999
email: hayhurst@ruralnet.org
comments: to the person who thinks that the bears are better than the COUGARS! not only did your comment offend me , but i feel that it was not very logical. if you look at the history from the bigining of the COUGARS to now, you will see that they have more placers than any other feeder program. i dont realy care how good the wrestlers you have named are. i respect all of them , but fear NON of them. to tell you the truth i wish i could wrestle some of them. i am a HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLER but , ill always be a COUGAR! most of the wrestlers on p.h.s. are ex-cougars. Can your wrestlers win the matches that count? 103-no;112-no,119-no, 125-hes a GREAT wrestler, but he hasnt beat anyone i havnt! Another thing.....has your team had any wrestler get a scholarship to A PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING TEAM? we have. i take your challenge anyday.
another thing. COUGARS have the best coaches in the nation. Fact!

March 24, 1999
email: wvmatman@hotmail.com
comments: To the person on his comments about the Hedgesville Bear program bringing up maybe a better crop of wrestlers than the Parkersburg cougars. On behalf of my good friend Mike Litton I will address this. I hope I dont forget a few state champions but I'm sure I will. The Cougar program has had several 3 time State High School Champions. Gary Tuttle, Scott Moore, Doug Rexroad. Two time state champion Matt George a junior this year. Several other 2 and 1 time champions. Brandon and Bryce Edwards, Eric Freed, Aaron Fleming, Dave Fleming, Dave Koreski, Bobby Roberts, Joey Anderson, Ash Wenmonth, Matt Deem, Justin Fluharty, Steve Brown, Tim Higgins, Steve Higgins, Jeff Lindsey, Sophmore Matt Stephens, Jason Hayhurst, Dave Satterfield, Chris Way, Zack Litton, Steve Rader, the Rhodes brothers that were Virginia State champions. I hope the ones I forgot do forgive me but I am sure that the Cougar program has had more success than you realize. I have a picture back several years ago when I was with the Cougar program and it had 19 state high schoolchampions in it. I hope this touches on your thinking that the Hedgesville program has had more success than the Parkersburg Cougars. Wrestling programs cant stay on top forever but I am sure Parkersburg Cougars will be around for several years with the same success.

March 23, 1999
email: robc40x@intrepid.net
comments: Does anyone know if there is a way to purchase a tape of this years state finals ?

March 23, 1999
comments: I agree with d.flynn and feel that's one of the best answers on cutting weight. I have three sons, the oldest was always careful with his weight. He learned how to read the backs of boxes, and count fat grams by junior high school. Yet he was never allowed to skimp on protein. Another child couldn't cut weight if his life depended on it. He often expressed a desire but could never follow through. While still a third child who had a little bit to lose was quite successful on a low carb, high protein plan. Youths who desire to be competitive and feel staying at a certain weight will help them should be taught the basics of nutrition. Parents should learn the basics too. Strength should also be considered, it is frustrating to watch a hungry youth try to wrestle. Those of us who are experienced wrestling moms can pick these kids out, they are always the ones who seem to falter half way through a match and are often cramping from hunger. Wrestling should promote strength of character, and sometimes a moral victory is as sweet as the up raised hand.

The comment about academic scholarships is so very true. If a parent would like to see a child continue wrestling in college and the child desires that as well, then good grades are every bit the ticket and count for as much if not more than a state championship. I know plenty of state place finishers and champs who are not in college. If one is a state champ and can't score high enough on the SAT or ACT there will be no scholarships. While there are many academically superior students wrestling at Div. III schools Athletic scholarships are not available to Div. III athletes, but academic sholarships are, and the scholar athlete is often highly recruited by Div.III coaches. A state place finisher with SAT's in the ll00's or better and a 3.5 average has a better chance of a college scholarship than a state champ with poor scores and a 2.5. d.flynn has said a mouthful.

March 23, 1999
comments: For all you overprotective parents if you want to win the big match you better cut the weight and quit complaining.

March 23, 1999
comments: Whats all the talk about the Parkersburg Cougars. Yes they are a good program but I think that they are starting to slip. In Hedgesville the bears have brought up just as many good wrestlers probably better than yours. Just to name a couple Bryan Moats, Dustin Bowers, Kevin Ballam, Anthony Regalbuto, Derek English, Justin Snyder, Jimmy Shetler and Hedgesville has one more prospect. I predict that he will be in the top 3 at states at 130 as a Freshman. If you wrestled at the Wheeling Park Junior states at 125 you know who he is. And for all the big talk about the Cougars most of these wrestlers will be at Morgantown for the qualifier, so you better be ready.

March 23, 1999
comments: To: Wrestler's Mom who isn't happy
I helped with the Jr. States this year and I can tell you that if your child was still over Saturday morning by half a pound you child should have wrestled in the next weight class. My son wrestled this year at least 2-3 pounds below his weight class every weekend and in Junior High. He did very well, he won a lot of tournaments and yes even the states. At this stage in their lives little kids do not need to cut weight. If you son was upset that he couldn't wrestle then maybe you should look in the mirror and not at Parkersburg. Any National tournament you go to they make you make weight. In Junior High and High School they make you make weight. Wrestling teaches a lot of discipline and respect, it's a great sport. I'm sure my son will go on the wrestle in High School, I'm very proud of his accomplishments but I'm prouder of the person he has become. All of these without cutting weight, that may change in year to come when he gets older but for the past 8 years this is what we have lived by. To the comment that someone was over by three pounds and still wrestled, it didn't happen. Anyone can say something happened, but can you name names? If you can please call the tournament director and let them know, I'm sure they were not aware of this and would like to know would it was. If you don't come back to Parkersburg, or the Youth States because you feel you were treated unfair, then stay close to local tournaments and one's without digital scales. I think both State tournaments were ran to the best the could have been. I look forward to next year. Thanks

March 23, 1999
email: dflynn1162@aol.com
comments: With regard to cutting weight, I think it is easy for parents and wrestlers alike to look for ways to become more competitive in competition. It's natural for any competitor to dedicate himself to winning. However, frequently, we lose sight of what's really important. What wrestling has taught my 3 sons is that it takes dedication and desire to compete, that there are no losers, and that no matter how well you do, win or lose, you still have to dust yourself off and get ready to go again. This is an important lesson in life that wrestling uniquely teaches our kids. My kids enjoy winning, but they don't revel in it (and most of our WV wrestlers are the same). And when my kids lose, they are sad for 15-20 minutes, but then they know they have another match and the loss is behind them (again, I see this maturity in most of our WV wrestlers). I wish we could find a solution for cutting weight. As other people in the forum point out, it works both ways - it can hurt you from a strength perspective.

A lot of parents and wrestlers believe that the sport offers a chance for college scholarships - and it does, but only to a limited few. In WV, one probably has to win 2 or 3 state titles to qualify for a scholarship. Interestingly, for every $1 of athletic scholarship money, there are $75 of academic scholarship funds available, and a lot of academic scholarship money goes unclaimed!

So, my advice to anyone who encourages their child to cut weight, or turns a blind eye to this practice, would be to counsel your son, remind him of what is really important (his family, education and health) and remind him that this is a participatory sport and he should enjoy it for what it is. It is not worth risking your health and well-being over. These kids, especially under 14 yrs. of age, are growing too fast. Cutting weight could have long term, detrimental effects on their health and well-being.

March 23, 1999

Yes, the coach was THE Ben Schwartzwalder....he was a BIG RED before he was a Mountaineer or Orangeman. Earle "Greasy" Neal was also a BIG RED before he coached the Philadelphia Eagles, to a world championship, or Washington & Jefferson to the Rose Bowl (he is in the pro football hall of fame)....many BIG RED football players and wrestlers went on to play in college and the pros for these two great coaches.

March 22, 1999
Editor's note: We appreciate the effort Brent Sams has made to share the results of his research into past State Champions. The newspaper article reproduced with the 1941 results mentions in passing that Parkersburg's wrestling coach had departed the week before. The coaches name -- Floyd Schwartzwalder. I need some WV sports buffs to help me out here. Is this THE Floyd "Ben" Schwartzwalder, the legendary football coach at Syracuse from 1948 to 1973? Help us out here, Big Red fans...

March 22, 1999
comments: May I add a comment regarding the youth weight classes? The idea that 5 lb. increments is the most reasonable (i.e., in 6 and under the classes are normally 35,40, 45,50 etc) seems to me to be the main problem. The AVERAGE 6 year old weighs 48 lbs. Just look at a pediatric chart or on the back of bottle of any over the counter cough medicine. Yet, while the AAU recognizes this and has 48 and 52 lb weight classes, for instance, we in West Virginia try to put a round peg in a square hole and arbitrarily set weight classes. Perhaps some enlightened tournament director will consult with a pediatrician and set some more realistic weight classes. The NCAA and other state high school wrestling bodies study such statistics and set weight classes (with the possible exception of the PIAA in Pennsylvania which still refuses to impelement a 215 class). Comments are welcome.

March 22, 1999
comments: Congratulations to NCAA Division I All-American Mark Samples.

March 22, 1999
email: fortysomething@n2mail.com
comments: To Wrestling Mom : I had two sons wrestling in the Jr State that had to meet the same weight requirements that your son had to. They start preparing at the begining of the season to make the weight and to stay at that weight . To make sure they make weight I have my scales calibrated every year and my kids have to weight at least a Quarter pound under the desired weight the previous day before weigh ins. There is nothing worse then seeing the face of a kid who can't wrestle because they didn't make the weight. Weight management is a big part of wreslting that many people do at the last minute. That is where people start getting into trouble. When you need to cut weight quickly that is not healthy for anyone, especially a growing youth. I understand you being angry, I also think your upset and embarrassed by your son not making his weight. You have to remember when you start pointing your finger at someone else there are three finger remaining on your hand that are point ing back at you! If you are really concerned that your son makes weight, I think you should take steps to assure he has the best possible chance at achieveing the desired weight, everyone else has to!

March 21, 1999
comments: could someone post the Wheeling states and the Mason county open please..

March 21, 1999
comments: I have been reading with interest the discussions on cutting weight. As a parent and coach, I see both sides of the weight cutting question. Many times a wrestler particularly from a "wrestling" high school will cut to fill an empty weight class to help the team. For example this year my son cut from a pre-season weight of around 142 to 125. I know he could have been more competitive, stonger and happier at the higher weight, but there was no one else who could fill the slot and as a senior he felt a responsibility to try to help his team win a state team championship out weighed his quest for any personal glory. In fact in the matches where he wrestled 130 he was undefeated but was beaten several times at 125 due in some part not to a lack of skills but to a lack of strength and stamina. (There were some GREAT wrestlers at 125 and I take nothing away from them. I think it was one of the toughest and most skilled classes in both AAA and AA!) However, as an 18 year old I let him make his own decision and he chose (along with 3 other team members) the classes where they thought they could most help the team before the season started and stuck by his decision. I did not feel this was wise, but unfortunately, 'It's part of the sport."

As a middle school coach, I do not want my wrestlers to cut more than around 5 pounds from preseason weight maximum, Unless they have a lot of excess body fat as determined by weight certification skin fold tests, etc. and they would be healthier at a lower weight. For example a 5 ft 4 in 198 lb seventh grader who needed to lose for his health and only wrestled in the beginning because he wanted to trim down. Their goal should be to have fun and learn the skills needed to be competitive in high school. It's a shame that the practice of pulling weight is so ingrained into our high school mentality.

At the youth level, I feel it is not needed and is one thing that turns off many kids to our great sport. As I look back at my sons 11+ years in wrestling and my years of coaching, one thing that will NOT be missed is the pulling weight. In addition the all too recent tragic deaths of athletes in college wrestling should give us all pause to consider the advisability of any weight cutting at all. As a physician, I'm sure that our esteemed sysop would second my opinion in most cases. Our young kids need the opportunity to compete at their strongest weight and worry about learning to wrestle rather than weight loss management.

Arguably the greatest wrestlers of the last 25 years from the Soviet Union DO NOT CUT ANY WEIGHT but rather work hard to bulk up to a stronger weight class. IF it worked that well at the elite international and olympic levels, it should work in a local pee wee tournament or the pee wee states.

In closing, young wrestlers, enjoy the sport for what it is and do not place such a premium on weight loss. Parents impress on your kids that skills, strength and conditioning will win out over emaciation and dehydration everytime. Don't put yourself in the position of competing in a weight class where you can not succeed because you are too weak. Lastly, as coaches and friends of our great sport, rather than revel in the recalling and war stories of how much weight so and so was able to cut when WE were in high school, we need to impress on our sport the value of health, strength and good old fashioned common sense.

I know this is a long post, but I just had to get this said. Thanks for listening.

March 21, 1999
comments: well, i've added a few more things to my webpage, i have a few pictures up, hopefully i'll get to add some more as soon as i find some good ones to put up. i've made a few other changes here and there, but most of the big ones have been to my other pages, not the wrestling one. well go check it all out if you have time... thanks.
http://www.iit.edu/~lantmir/talon.html

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page