West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- November 2000 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

November 7, 1999
comments: Okay where are the Buckhannon results? It's been such a long dry spell...... since February.

November 11, 2000
comments: I've heard rumors that noechel will be wrestling 215 if he does where will satterfield wrestle or will noechel wrestle heavyweight and what about sternthal and miller I heard they are up there too why are all of them around the same weight sounds like trouble for east fairmont to me.

November 11, 2000
comments: i think everyone should just be glad that there isn't a marion county high school! Imagine the lineup if you would combine north east and west....it would be unreal

November 11, 2000
comments: I think the editor of the forum (who by the way does a great job) probably had in mind for this to be an imformative place to get information about a particular team or wrestler.I believe we have created a place to stick and dig at each other instead.I have stated on here that South will have a good team this year and have given credit to other who comment on here and to other teams as well.It is not South against the rest of the state nor should it be.Our young men work very hard to be the best they can be as I'm certain other young wrestlers from all schools do as well.When we get on here and speak badly of a school it is these young men who really suffer.Any young man or woman who steps on the mat deserves our praise for all their blood sweat and tears.This is coming from a huge South wrestling...best wishes to all wrestlers from all schools in our great state !God Bless.

November 11, 2000
comments: CONCERNING THE NOTE FROM LOVES WRESTLING. I READ THE FORUM ALMOST EVERYDAY AND I CAN NOT FIND WHERE ANYONE FROM POINT PLEASANT IS PREDICTING A UNDEFEATED SEASON. I THINK THAT MOST OF THE TALK IS COMING FROM PEOPLE THAT LIKES TO STIR. I DON'T THINK THIS FORUM WAS DESIGNED FOR THAT BUT YOU ALWAYS HAVE THOSE WHO TRY TO MAKE THEIR'S LOOK GOOD WHILE MAKING SOMEONE ELSE LOOK BAD. IN THE WORDS OF ANOTHER FAMOUS AMERICAN RODNEY KING (CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG).

November 11, 2000
comments: Hey folks
I have a major concern. Where are all of the wrestling officials in the state going? We have lost many in the last three years. What will happen to the Our sport if they keep leaving? I think we as fans coaches and wrestlers need to respect them a little more and understand that they will make mistakes and are yes "HUMAN". I have been associated with many of the officials and believe me they thrive on making the great calls and would love to never make a mistake. We all know that they will make mistakes and it seems that it doesn't matter Jumping on the officials and running them out of the sport seems to be more fun than watching to kids challenge each other. Folks running an offical out of this sport is not what we need to do. We need to support them MORE!

November 11, 2000
comments: I am a Marion County wrestling fan and NOT particularly an East Fairmont fan. However I do think that East Fairmont has 3 of the most under-rated wrestlers in the state---Jeff Noechel (215) Matt Sternthal (189) and Aaron Futten (145). They get no publicity no hype and very little respect; but they do an exceptional job on the mat. Last year against North Marion these guys came through for East Fairmont each time they wrestled. I'm looking forward to watching them this year after they have had a season to mature and improve. Remember East's performance at state's last year....these guys and Miller ROCKED!

November 11, 2000
comments: hey what's up too all the wrestlers in wv. The only reason i writting on here is to say that i dont think south is going to kill like they did in the past. I also think that east fairmont and west fairmont are going to be good teams this year. I'm not talking any trash but every one thought east wasnt going to do that good last year and we took 8 in the state and we was up in the top 5 soo so watch out for the marion county teams

November 11, 2000
comments: I would like everyone to know that East Fairmont goes to winner's choice and the brooke tourney's. East Side has a good shot at the top 5 and higher and should have about 9 or 10 qualifiers and probably 6 placewinners and 2 champs. Marion county wrestling will be on top this year.

November 11, 2000
comments: To Observer: I have always done my talking on the mat. My record speaks for itself. 'Nuf said.

November 11, 2000
email: wvagurl@hotmail.com
comments: If Derrick Bosley from Frankfort is out there drop me a line..... ok..hehe

November 11, 2000
comments: to south fan:
When you were talking about Hedgesville not coming to the Buckhannon tournament and saying that we meet people half way. Thats not Hedgesville that said that it was the Iron Eagles not Hedgesville so get it straight.

November 11, 2000
comments: Oak Glen remians AA with a count of 526. AAA starts at 595. Get over it!!!

November 11, 2000
comments: to whomeever said that OG should go back to AAA is completely out of their minds!!! There are like 5 other schools in front of oak glen that would go to AAA before them. so whoever said that need to think first..im guessing that whoever said that is a AA wrestler and is mad that they cant beat OG so that said that so that they would have a shot at states

November 11, 2000
comments: Don't think that all the boasting is coming from the whole Point team. Most of that all comes from one source. Don't hold it against the whole team. Only one Point wrestler has predicted that "undefeated" season. All Point wrestlers shoudn't be judged just on that. They have alot of great guys! After all season hasn't started yet so no one even knows where they will be wrestling for sure! You have to earn those spots. Good luck to all teams!

November 11, 2000
comments: To Just Tired.....that is exactly how you make my back feel. Tired very very tired. Anyone in the state can make any comments they feel like making and it is fine but if you attach the word south to a comment people like you are ready to string them up. I only listed some facts about our wrestlers no brag just facts. someone requested that the brackets be listed but I still have not seen them posted. Oh yes... Far be it for a Hedgesville wrestler fan or parent to ever forget themselves and get caught braging. What was I thinking.

November 11, 2000
comments: to wvredneck
the OVAC wrestling tournament is the toughest tournament in the state of West Virginia

November 11, 2000
comments: You know one thing about all this Stevens and Miller Crap is i think they should be looking more at the Dutton not OW wrestler of the state tourny. Cause any state champ can win that and it doesnt alway go to the 2 and 3 time state champs but who had the best overall Tourny. Yet the dutton is for those 3 and 2 time state champions to win.

November 11, 2000
comments: Why do you think OG should go AAA because they keep winning????? I mean they wrestle a AAA schedule and still go undefeated. There school isnt big enough to be AAA and even if they wanted to move up for competition they would have to get Weir High to move up also cause they are in the same county. But why dont you say Grafton or other school that are larger than OG to move up to AAA you are prob jsut some AA team who is tired of losing to OG wrestlers well deal wi th it cause they will be around for a while.

November 11, 2000
comments: Stevens/ Miller.... Bush/ Gore ..... only time will tell the winner

November 11, 2000
comments: South Fans why didn't you wrestle Hedgesville in any duals meets last year? I agree you all had a good team but so did Hedgesville. The lineup from 103 to 189 was pretty strong. We think in a duals meet Hedgesville would have won. Just in case anyone was wondering here is Hedgesville's line up:

103: (vacant)                  152: Justin Snyder

112: Kevin Ballam              160: Andrew Everhart

119: Jason Drappo              171: Johny Dunham

125: Jermey Bryant             189: Jason Baker

130: Jared Hess                215: Chuck Files

135: Brad Ammons               275: Josh Barret

140: Danny Lord

145: Bryan Moats

November 11, 2000
Thanks to a large part from Pat Peters, I now have the LKC history linked to the my Cauliflower Club page. Pat still has tournament programs left over from last year where a large part of the information on the web pages come from. If you would like a copy of the program, contact Pat. His email is listed at the bottom of the first page. Click here to go the LKC page. Click here to go the Cauliflower Club page.
Thanks
Brent Sams

November 9, 2000
comments: Hey I've got a few predictions for some of you people who get on here and talk all this trash to each other.

1. To all South fans who get on here and brag excessively and claim then get mad when people think it is the wrestlers. I predict that your mouths will when South is no longer dominant cause the same wrestlers you are supporting to be teased and hated to a point that is not needed in this sport.
POINT: You affect your kids in more ways than one boasting so much.

2. To all the "Swamis out there"
Your predictions may be right but your over-confidence will get you and your team disrespect rather than the respect you seek with these comments.
POINT: Walk the walk before you talk the talk.

3. I predict whether they win it all or not Cameron will have a good year.
POINT: Go Dragons!

November 9, 2000
comments: I would like to comment about the trash taling in the forum. All you can do is say how good you think your team is but talking them up when the season hasnt even started no way. Even talking trash oin teams you dont wrestle head-to-head come on you cant say youa re better than someone if you havent wrestled them. anythign cna happen on any given day. So let it all be settled on the mat.

November 9, 2000
comments: i think Oak Glen should go back to AAA.

November 9, 2000
From: ra comments: To South Fan: About Hedgesville missing out on a great tournament thats true and i tried to get them to go to it but they have some injuries and other problems from what i heard. But you act like it was a once and a lifetime chance to wrestle the all might and great South wrestlers. My boys have been all over the place and wrestled much tuffer competition than you guys could bring so we will see during the year. I don't expect them to beat you guys at the state tournament but you guys aren't the best thing god created.

November 9, 2000
comments: To Observer: Well you can't determine the ow winner before the season even starts. But those two are definitely two that could win it. But my ow is going to Bryan Moats. The award is not for the most outstanding wrestler in the past 4 years it is at the State tournament. Moats will dominate and take it. But Talking about Miller. Last year he lost to Courtney who i think is no were near an ow and might lose to him again if they are in the same weight class. Stevens came from behind last year and won by a couple of points to a wrestler. So maybe those two might not get it. But it will be very interesting.

November 9, 2000
comments: To "Just Bored" That was rude what you said about "Parkersburg teams need to stop their bragging." What gives you the right to tell them that? Are you a state champion? I personally think they have a right to brag because they do back it up on the mat. How many years has South won the states as a team? So until you decide to back it up on the mat I think you should just be quiet.

November 9, 2000
comments: I am in agreement with "just tired" about the bragging rights and the Caps being used. For the person's information who was questioning the no show by Hedgesville. First off the person who issued the challenge earlier this spring was not a wrestler....he was not even a parent of a wrestler.....but an enthusiastic supporter. If you go to the "back pages" of the forum and read that again I think that you will find it was not so much a challenge as it was a request for some one on one scrimmages. Hedgesville would not be able to attend any tournaments as a so-called team during pre-season because of the fact some of the wrestlers play football and other sports. These matches would have been with the Iron Eagles...that is ... an ensemble of Varsity Hedgesville wrestlers and upcoming junoir league wrestlers who will be filtering into local High School programs in the very near future...some this year. My hats off to a team that can keep the whole team together during the summer and participate in pre-season tournaments and clean house at them. The results I do believe however are insignificant as the only thing that counts is the road to Huntington. Pre-season tournaments are notheing but extra workouts for personal bragging rights. There will be wrestlers from Hedgesville..Jefferson...Mussleman...and Martinsburg at the Cougar Invitational this weekend...see you there.

November 9, 2000
email: monarch@ovnet.com
comments: All this talk about the OW award and the season hasn't even started yet. Didn't we already go though this with somebody about two years ago.I mean come on did anybody really think that he was going to get beat? No they thought he was going to go undefeated and win the OW award. And I did too.But just watch out for some sleepers. Everybody is going to be after Stevens and Miller this year and we just might see it happen again.
p.s. where is jenny sulivan at? If you are out there drop me a line!

November 9, 2000
comments: Learn how to spell english class does wonders for all those cap letters that you like.

November 8, 2000
comments: Stephens and Miller are to great competitors. I wonder what the criteria is for determining the OW of the state tourney and for the Dutton Award. Remember about Miller at 160 he beat Dearth a senior from South his sophomore year in the finals. And in the semis Dearth beat Ward from Cabell Midland for a second time who was a 2x state champ and a four year place winner. Miller is a senior this year and is a three time place winner:
Freshman - 4th in state 152lbs.
Sophomore - 1st
Junior - 1st
Senior- ???
Ranked 5th In the nation.

I am briefly familiar with Stephens and truly enjoy watching him wrestle . . . I enjoy watching anyone wrestle that wrestles for the sole purpose of seeking the best competition. And displays an attitude that is unafraid and not apprehensive to lay it on the line. I like wreslters who don't care about there records and don't care about trying to prove that they are the best. That is what I mean by wrestling for the competition not the glory. The two of these young men wrestle with that philosophy.

Best of luck to Stephens and Miller to a great senior year.

November 8, 2000
comments: To most of you Parkersburg fans
First i think you schools up Parkersburg need to get your own forum. That way you could brag indefinitely to each other and noone else would hae to listen. You are really boring!!! And about your bragging abaout Hedgesville not showing up at Buchannon--no doublt all you guys will wrestle at Jefferson High this Sat. for the open cause you back up your bragggin with real action. I been around a few years and know other schools they respect each other. Its okay to talk and brag some but you guys never stop! Andt there are lots of other schools that do well and don't brag the way you do. Really you are a turn off! Schools like other schools that are gratious in defeat and VICTORY! Pleeeeeeese recongize that there are other teams in the state--if there werent you wouldnt have anyone to brag about except to each other and then you would probably get in a shooting match (hmmmm?) Finally to whoever writes in ALL CAPS it is very rude-- What makes you so darn special that you have to SHOUT at anyone in caps?

November 8, 2000
comments: To bobster
Our team wrestles in the "Brooke Classic" and the "Winners Choice." I have seen the quality of the OVAC and can conclude that it probably is the toughest. But in defense of the Winners Choice Coach Naternicola & Coach Delligatti have increased the level of competition. I believe an accurate statement would be that the "Winners choice is equal to Brooke Classic competition and has the potential to reach the level of the OVAC in the future if they contiue to recruit quality in & out of state teams." But with any tournament you can have tough teams but some weight classes might not have the depth of quality of wreslers as others. For example by what I mean of depth of a weight class. . . Last years (AAA) 125 & 152 lbs. weight class was extremely strong.
If I had too choose the best hospitality room????
WINNERS CHOICE!
No pun intended from my comment bobster. Opinions vary!

November 8, 2000
email: wvagurl@hotmail.com
comments: I think the best wrestler you guys need to watch for this year in AA is Derrick Bosley from Frankfort. He got 6th last year but was only 1 point away from the finals.... i think..hehe NEwayz he is really good in more ways than one...hehe... but watch out he might be 145 or 152 this year.

November 8, 2000
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: to concerned fan:
you are correct mike is no longer wrestling here at wvu.

November 8, 2000
comments: Buckhannon Pre-season Tmt. Results/Per South Wrestlers: 1st Place-8 2nd Place-2 3rd Place-2 4th Place-2

South Jr. High Wrestlers Results: 1st Place-5 2nd- Place-1 3rd Place-1

Now for the real question....Where was Hedgesville??? In the words of a Hedgesville Wrestler I Quote...We will meet any w.v. wrestlers halfway and wrestle anytime. Well Hedgesville here is the (NEWS FLASH)..YOU ALL MISSED ONE HECK OF AN OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW YOUR STUFF!!

Sorry you missed the tournament.

November 8, 2000
comments: ALRIGHT IN COMMENTING TO SWAMI I FEEL THE MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER SHOULD BE MATT STEVES OR MATT MILLER I MEAN IN MY OPINION I FEEL IT SHOULD BE MATT STEVENS I MEAN COME ON THE KID PROBLY SHOULD HAVE WON IT HIS SOPHMORE YEAR CONSIDERING HE PINNED HIS FIRST THREE OPPONENTS AND THEN TECH-FALLED HIS KID IN THE FINALS NOT MANY PEOPLE DO THAT AND IN HIS SEMIFINAL MATCH THE KID HE WRESTLED WAS THE DEFENDING STATE CHAMP AND HE PINNED HIM SO IF YOU ASK ME THERES MY OPINION ALTHOUGH NOT TAKING ANYTHING AWAY FROM MILLER HE IS A GREAT WRESTLER BUT I JUST FEEL MATT STEVENS DESERVES THIS

November 8, 2000
email: seville145@hotmail.com
comments: to rdevil54. richard stotler will be tough this year but i don't know what weight class he'll be in. somewhere between 160 and 189. he is from berkeley springs.

November 8, 2000
comments: SOUTH IS GOING TO THE VIRGINA DUELS INSTEAD OF THE WINNERS CHOICE . THE VIRGINA DUELS IS A HELL OF ALOT TUFF THEN THE WINNERS CHOICE. TO WHOM WROTE ASKING WHY THEY WEREN T COMING IF YOU WOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE PAGE THERE SCHEADUELS IS ON THERE.

November 8, 2000
comments: Good luck to the GW Patriots this year. GW is going to surprise some people this year even though they are very young. They return 2-time state tournament qualifier Jody Pauley (hwt) and seniors Brad Allen (119) Jason Stewart (145) and Brian Bradle(125). Go Patriots!!!

November 8, 2000
comments: To wvredneck concerning the winners choice: I believe South attends an out of state meet on the days of that tournment.

November 8, 2000
comments: Hey WV wrestling fan keep an eye on Musselman High School this year! Enough Said

November 8, 2000
comments: To wvredneck: About the Winners choice beign the toughest tourny in the state. I was just wondering if you have ever been to the OVAC tornament or the Brooke Classic?

November 8, 2000
comments: To WV Redneck. What makes you think last year's Parkersburg South team is better than this year's team? This year's team seems much more complete to me. Just curious.

November 8, 2000
comments: first off half u people who talk on here are south fans and u guys really need to watch what u say theres a time for highschoolers to wrestle and a time to have a life and in my opinion u guys have had the team of the 90's but its time to move on and look at new teams lke fairmont senior and hedgesville and cabell midland just like justin stanley hes gonna win states and he will beat whoever he wrestles this yr including people from south so im just saying look for a change in the 00's where pakersburg south will no longer be the winners but its time for them to see what losing feels like and it starts now November 8, 2000
comments: How can people say this years South team is better or worse than last years team when the season hasnt even started ???????

November 8, 2000
comments: To Brent Sams:
I did not think Anthony Regalbuto was ranked 12 since he did finish 4th at the senior nationals and the rankings i saw had him 10th but he beat the kid that was ranked 4th so i think that is an insult to Anthony that they had him ranked 12th. Thats a joke.

November 8, 2000
comments: I have seen some of the comments about the hand shaking. You need to have it because it shows respect but me personally if i lose a match i really don't want to be shaking anybodys hand at all but you have to. It shows respect.

November 7, 2000
comments: Well first i would like to say that noone is giving any respect to riverside and noone even knows how good they are going to be in the next couple years. Even this year they have nice solid wrestlers at almost every weight class. in the 135-145 weight classes they have 3 solid wrestlers going into one of this each. These three guys are the two cochran twins josh (20-3) last year in jr.high Eddie (34-3)in jr.high last year and Eric Meadows who hasnt wrestled since youth leagues but was undefeated in that. Then in the lower weight classes there is Chris Wriston a good finish up last season as a freshman Eric simmons also in the lower weight classes. The cochrans Wriston and simmons are all sopohmores so they will be hard to beat in the coming years. Also wrestling is shane meadows missed out last season but before that won counties and was a very good competitor.There are more wrestlers that will make an impact and iwill get back to you in a couple weeks when i have seen the outlook of this team.

November 7, 2000
comments: LAST YEARS PARKERBURG SOUTH TEAM WAS MUCH BETTER THAN THIS YEARS TEAM. I MEAN IM FROM SOUTH AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE IS TALKIN SO MUCH ABOUT THIS TEAM. BUT WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE. GO SOUTH!!!

November 7, 2000
email: Rdevil54@hotmail.com
comments: does anyone know who some good AA/A 171 pounders are this year....email me the names and where they are from if u could please.....thanks in advance

November 7, 2000
comments: Topic of comment for the forum: WHo exactly is the team to beat this year in AA and AAA? Who is this years favorite for outstanding Wreslter? Lets get it goin I like hearing others input!!!

November 7, 2000
comments: Thoughts from B-U results. I did not attend. Was any weight allowance given? If not it looks like several guys are much lower than predicted. Pickens (150) from South jumps out at me. Also Bosley down to 128 and Metz at 120 before season even starts. Also what high school will Frerichs be wrestling for? St. Albans? How deep were brackets in most weight classes? any chance of brackets being posted? what weight will Miller from Preston and Miller from Fairmont be wrestling this year?

November 7, 2000
comments: Point has some good freshman moving up and they have some other sets of brothers to watch out for (Notts and Carrs). I'd be afraid to predict an undefeated season right now for anyone! The Point team has several juniors and seniors who qualified for State's last year. Just wondering who the assistant coach is going to be. Can't wait for the season to start! Go Point!

November 7, 2000
comments: The other day i heard a rumor that 4x state champ Mike Miller is no longer on the squad at WVU..could any one give me someinformation about this? Also I attend Oak Glen and i would like to say to those people who are on here talking about Parkursburgh South I think that they should realize how much hard work goes into keeping up a great dynasty such as PS. I would also like to say good luck to South in the match against OG and i think that this will be a great match and a match like this is what u train year-round for!

November 7, 2000
comments: yes south brags alot but they showed they can back it up this weekend at the preseason tournament. some people i would be looking out for are matt bosley he wrestled agressive this weekend aginst one of the best macth s aginst chance griffith. another one to look out for is ryan metz who wrestled the other best macth of the day aginst nathan kinsley .shane grogg looked tuff .nathan pickens who also looked very good and the two daggets of course looked very stronge GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE WRESTLERS HAVE A GOOD SEASON

November 7, 2000
comments: To Steve Bosley -
I can see your point when you say that a stat should never be put in a bad position by an authority figure. Also I can see your point when you say a stat should never work at a state tournament. But statisticians matmaids and managers have been working at the regional tournament and doing a great job too! A lot of the junior high wrestlers also work there especially kids from Cameron. I know that wrestlers and mgrs. stats and matmaids aren't the same but if a wrestler can do it why can't a matmaid? Wrestlers may be more knowledgable of the sport in a whole but keeping score and time is what a matmaid etc. are trained to do! I don't think that because the stakes are higher at a regional tournament it affects the ability to keep score and time properly. I didn't mean for this to come off as rude.

November 7, 2000
comments: Does anyone know why Parkersburg South is not coming to the winners choice again this year???? That is the toughest tournament in the state.

November 5, 2000
email: citrus@ovis.net
comments: Parkersburg Cougars or South Fans: We would like the physical addresses of John Pratt and his father. Please send them to our email address. Thanks.

November 5, 2000
comments: Matt Miller of East Fairmont did not wrestle Samples. Matt Miller of Preston County.

November 4, 2000
comments: South Fans
Where can I get a copy of this years schedule? Good Luck to all the South wrestlers and coaches. There's been a lot of blood sweat and tears poured into that wrestling gym in the past keep up the tradition. Win with pride and lose with pride walk off the mat as a man at all times. Let the fans do the talking and you guys concentrate on the wrestling! Fans it's time to clean up this forum and get ready for the season. Forget the talking on the computer and hit the gym. Good luck to all see you at the CM match.
Editor's note: Here is a copy of the schedule someone sent me. I'm working on getting letters out to coaches this week, and hope to be getting schedules updated in the next 2-3 weeks.

comments: South Wrestling 2000-2001

Friday       Dec. 1     Cabel Midland             Home
Saturday     Dec. 2     Cannon Mac                Away
Fri.-Sat.    Dec. 8-9   Ironman                   Walsh Jesuit
Wed.         Dec. 13    PHS                       Home
Saturday     Dec. 23    McGuffy PA                Away
Fri.-Sat.    Dec. 29-30 Brecksville               Away
Saturday     Jan. 6     Oak Glen                  Away
Fri.-Sat.    Jan. 12-13 Virginia Duals            Hampton VA
Wed.         Jan. 17    Warren                    Away
Wed.         Jan. 24    University                Home
Thursday     Jan. 25    North Marion              Away
Wed.         Jan. 31    John Marshall             Away
Wed.         Feb. 7     Fairmont                  Home
Saturday     Feb. 17    Regionals                 University
Thurs.-Sat.  Feb  22-24 State                     Huntington

November 4, 2000
comments: For anyone who missed the Buckhannon tourney this afternoon you missed a really entertaining day. Needless to say to anyone that was there the most entertaining match was an Open division matchup between Mark Samples and HS standout Matt Miller not the closest match but entertaining nonetheless. There was some great competition and some great match-ups. Although some of the action was hampered with bad-sportsmanship and injury it was a great experience to get ready for that big day in December when the real competition starts! I can't wait for the season to begin! Til then have fun and get ready to rumble!

November 4, 2000
comments: TO OLD WRESTLER
REGARDING YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT TUCKER BROWN HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING A SPOT ON THE SQUAD THIS YEAR. GIVE TUCKER A LITTLE RESPECT - FRESHMAN YEAR HE WAS FOURTH IN THE OVAC AND THIRD IN THE STATE/ SOPHOMORE YEAR HE HAD TO DEFAULT TO SIXTH PLACE IN THE OVAC DUE TO INJURY AND THEN HE CAME BACK AND WAS RUNNER-UP AT STATES. THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD WRESTLERS MOVING UP BACK THEY WILL BE THE ONES HAVING TO TRY IN EARN A SPOT. GIVE THE KID SOME CREDIT WHERE IT IS DESERVED!

November 4, 2000
comments: Ferens is back in connellsville

November 4, 2000
comments: this message is to Dr. Bill Welker. I am a college student and i am an old wrestler. This college does not have a wrestling team. I know of a whole lot of wrestlers that go here. do you have any tips on how to possibly get a club started then try to move up to intramurals then possibly a team. Also do you know of any weightlifting workout that is good for wrestlers because i still love to lift and run. I am just looking for a regualr workout. Thanks you.

November 4, 2000
comments: i would like to say for all(well most)of u on here to get a life cus arguing whose better and who will beat who is no life what so ever thanx simon

November 4, 2000
email: bos3@wirefire.com
comments: Dr. Miller - regarding your comments about students being statisticians at school tournaments it would be o.k. but there should never be a student doing regionals or the State tournament with so much at stake. An authority figure intimidating a young man or woman as we have seen happen in the past that has cost a young man a chance to achieve his goal of being in the State finals this should never happen to another person. A young statistician should never be put in that situation.

With regarding all this trash talk have you thought about having people sign their name to the comments like the letter to the editor in newspapers? I think you could assign a pass word to individuals and then you could cross reference it before it is posted.

November 4, 2000
comments: Does eneyone know what Adam Schndler of Ripley is wrestling this year.

November 4, 2000
comments: Hey I know not many of you like South but for those of you who are talking trash about them don't know who is writing the stuff and your putting the wrestlers down. The South wrestlers have been working really hard this year and are getting up befor school starts and meeting up with the people on there team and practicing by themselves. So the next person who gets on here and talks trash need to think about what they're saying before they say it. I would just like to wish everbody good luck during the season.

November 3, 2000

Not meaning to change the subject, but I am of the opinion that it might be useful to make "statisticians" or "mat-stats" an officially sanctioned activity. Here's why.

1) Any coach, referee, or tournament director will agree that competent and trained mat-stats people (scorekeepers, timers, etc) are crucial to any well run tournament or meet. Knowledgable students to handle this job are often in short supply.

2) I would envision that a student wishing to become a sanctioned "mat stats" person should pass an initial examination demonstrating a basic knowledge of the sport, rules, scoring, etc. This written exam need not be lengthy - kind of like the drivers license written exam -- and could be administered by the referees before/during/after a wrestling match. They could carry the test with them to their various officiating duties, give it to the prospective statistician to complete during the match, grade it on the spot, and "sign-off" on their credentials at that time. A syllabus, containing essential information which the scorekeeper or timer should know, could be developed which the prospective "mat stats" person should study to prepare for the exam (not to mention to prepare for the duties of the job).

3) Having been credentialed, the sanctioned statistician could then earn points by working at various dual meets and tournaments. Say, 5 points for a dual, 8 for a quad, 10 for a full day tourney, or some such. They would need to keep their own log of points earned, and the referee would sign off on their points at the conclusion of the event, just as he signs off on the scorebook and weigh-in records. Perhaps points could also be earned by submitting results to news media, OR THIS WEBSITE. We have had, in years past, a few dedicated mat-stats people who faithfully submitted match results to this website (I miss Talon). This could easily be done the day after the match, if need be, from the computer lab at school using the "submit match results" form included in this website. (Now you see my ulterior motive). (smile).

4) Thus, there would be an incentive for stats persons to work tournaments at schools other than their own. Tournament directors might find more statisticians wishing to work their tournaments, and credentialed statisticians at that. When coaches call in their rosters and such prior to the tournament, they can also indicate how many statisticians (if any) they are bringing, and the tournament director may plan accordingly.

5) At the end of the season, those statisticians who have earned some threshold number of points would be recognized in some way, or be awarded a "trip to the states" to help with the tournament there in some meaningful way. Not that any help there is needed. Coach Archer does a splendid job directing the State Tournament and seems to have plenty of competent workers on hand.

6) This is not to suggest that one would have to be credentialed to help out with a tournament or be a "mat stats." However, there are many students who take pride in and are very serious about statistician and scorekeeping duties. We should find some way to recognize those students in some way, and allow them to distinguish themselves from those who, as some would say, are just along for the ride.

7) Considering that statisticians are often of the female gender, sanctioning this activity as an "official" activity might be of benefit to those who worry about the TITLE IX numbers game. This is not to suggest that we should cook the TITLE IX books; however, we should give credit where credit is due. There are many students who spend just as much time with this sport as the competitors and yet receive no recognition for their activity.

8) Or maybe I'm just full of it tonignt. Any thoughts on this topic?????

November 3, 2000
comments: Which Evans from Beckley ? Older brother Josh at Woodrow Wilson will most likely be at 140 or 145 and younger brother Zack will be at 116 or 123 for Beckley-Stratton. With returning state qualifier Demetrick Burger and the addition of a strong group of sophomores from Beckley-Stratton ( Boyden Farley Dixon Hickok and Evans ) and Park Jr. High ( Bostic Ward and Avery ) the Flying Eagles might just make a little noise this year.

November 3, 2000
comments: To Panhandle Parent First you have no idea how much you have offended me. I tried to keep these debates based on fact and complete well-rounded arguments. I did not want to make this a personal item but you clearly have taken it so. I asked you not to continue berating and harassing me as I felt we should keep these postings civil and with high sportsmanship. Yet you ignored my simple request. I realize that as you indicated by your last post you have nothing of worth or value left to contribute to this discussion. Nonetheless since you are dwelling on how experienced I am or am not you can e-mail me at XXXXXXXX and I will give you an indepth glimpse into my wrestling career. You have taken this past a conversation on the handshaking rule and degraded it to something reminiscent of a WWF pre-match hype buildup. I have very little respect for what you have done.
Editor's note: OK, I have deleted your email address for the following reason: As long as this exchange is between two nameless and unidentifiable individuals over a rule rather than a person or team, then I figure no harm, no foul. I choose to keep it that way. Lest someone go back through old forum posts to try to find an email address attached to either "Observer" or "Panhandle Parent," be advised that readers here have an annoying habit of swiping other readers' aliases (er, fake names) so don't draw any conclusions there.

November 3, 2000
comments: Might as well say it now. Everyone is getting on here and bickering about hand shaking and 9 out of 10 times you have the same opinion. So if a wrestler wants to shake the opposing coaches hand leave that up to him/her. Okay end of subject.

To the guy WITH ALL CAPS okay here we go okay really now when the high school wrestlers move on to college wrestling do they not join another team? Well gee yeah they do. Sorry. There really is no me in team unless you move the letters around. So let it go okay. You just need to realize that people wrestle because they like it people watch for the same reason. Unless the wrestlers are in an independent tournment they wrestle for a TEAM. In the state they go for team championships and individual championships so therfore they wrestle for both but just because your team is not filled with all of the state individual champions doesn't mean you don't have a good team or a great team a parent was on here and I think you need to read her comment about the kids giving 150% they do and she has a point they really do although it may not be the same topic you may want to read it. It was written by wrestler' mom.

I my self attend South (I don't wrestle for them)many people say that we have the right to brag and in a way we do but so do the other schools just think every time you get on her to trash South and when South gets on here trashing other schools who you are trashing are you trashing the wrestlers or the fans? And also think about if you were a wrestler how much it takes to get to state all the weight you have to lose to even start getting there and how much pain you have to go through on the way there so there is a podium out there for everyone and every team any one can say as much as they want to about who is better or who is the best I really like South there is a lot of spirit and a lot of determination. The reason people get on here and brag is because everyone gets on here and counts us out and everyone counts us out of everything so when we succeed we take pride but sometimes peoples go to far.

November 3, 2000
comments: Does anyone know when the Brooke Classic Tournament is and where i can get a John Marshall schedule. I see that Parkersburg South wrestles some pretty good competition.

November 3, 2000
comments: comment for ch: You may be only 15 years but you speak the words of someone older and wiser.Perhaps everyone(adults included)can learn a little lesson from your experiences.ch..it takes a man to learn from his mistakes or experiences and it seems to this reader you have passed the test of life.Congratulations to you !

November 2, 2000
comments: Thanks "Old Wrestler" for clearing up a few matters on the South thing.Secondly thanks Jeff Hughes for some good thoughts.As I have stated on here before I believe the South/Oak Glen match will be a great one and lets not forget the other great teams around the state that have many talented wrestlers coming back.There are several who say their teams are good but you can always count on the Fairmont teams Oak Glen Independence Cameron Cabell Midland PHS Hedgesville North Marion Wirt and Huntington year in and out.I don't mean to slight others because they can jump in with great teams also.It should be a fun season.Thanks!

November 2, 2000
comments: does anyone know anything about Evans from Beckley? what will he be wrestling this year?

November 2, 2000
comments: From: Panhandle Parent....In no way shape or form was I "attacking" your "character" and if you took it that way I apologize. I could not comment on one's character without having met that person. Character and knowledge are however two different items totally. To have wrestled in junior league and to have lettered all 4 years in high school at the sport I feel that I relatively speak for most when I say the things I do as indicated by reading this forum daily. I was merely pointing out that the way you spoke...the things you said....could not have been attributed to someone who has endured 4 years of grueling practices.....ate orange peels and spit in a cup for two days to drop a weight class because your team had an opening due to injury....or who with 30 seconds to go and your team 2 points behind and you feeling like you are going to die.....pull that reversal....or granby roll that wins the day as they carry you off of the mat. That's where I am coming from....talking 'bout experience. And as far as instilling sportsmanship.....It is our job to mold all children during these formative years until they go out on their own....today there is too much leniency...letting them do their own thing....being politically correct.....let's not hurt their feelings....let's let them decide for themselves....the majority of kids who won't shake hands are the ones who have lost a match and throw their headgear....all the more reason to make them shake hands and discipline them if they don't. Observer I have only one more thing to say...I am growing weary of talking about this and am going to say no more and thus this is my final rebuttel on the subject.....I am sure that you will come back with something but at this point in time I will say that we can agree to disagree.

November 2, 2000
comments: You know truthfully if someone gets on here and talks about shaking hands again I think i might just throw up!!! Gosh talk about beating a dead horse. I think we have covered that subject one too many times.

November 2, 2000
comments: I would just like to say that the Parkersburg South wrestling team this year will be another tough team like before. And if people dont have the decency to say that they will be tough shouldnt even be writing on here because this should be a postive not a negative forum. I just wish some people would grow up and just support their team and enjoy watching the sport.

November 2, 2000
comments: I graduated a couple of years ago but i still follow high school wrestling in the state. One match that i am looking forward to very much is that match between Oak Glen and Parkersburgh South. I believe that this match will decide who has bragging rights in the state of west virginia. Oak Glen lost some good seniors last year but they have a lot of depth returning and they have a couple of good sophomores that i have heard of that will fill in nicely in the middle weights. I heard from some wrestlers in the state that they are lacking experience in the lower weights and i think that this will be where the match will be won or lost. Parkersburgh South on the other hand looks to be pretty solid all the way through their lineups. So if u follow wrestling in the state this is a match that u want to try to make it to!

November 2, 2000
comments: To WVWRESTLER I believe there are a few Cameron wrestlers planning on coming down to the preseason tourney at Buchannon........

November 2, 2000
comments: What's up everybody! I was reading the forum today and saw all these articles against shaking hands and I was disgusted!! I have wrestled for 12 years of my soon-to-be 15 year old life and have only once refused to shake the hand of the opposing coach. I regret that til this day too. I really liked the coach of the other team but had just lost a hard fought match to an arch rival of mine in front of the home crowd. I was disappointed and mad and lost my self-control. Shaking hands is the gentleman's way of showing respect to the other coach wretler and the sport. This is the only sport where there can be no showboating gloating trash-talking or otherwise without severe consequences. This is the one pure sport which is why out of all the sports I play..wrestling HS Football track and baseball I enjoy wrestling the most. More and more we become side-tracked by the glamours and glory offered by success let's keep at least one thread of purity in this sport. Thanks and see you on the MAT!

November 2, 2000
comments: To Panhandle Parent
First off sir or madam I did not "miss the point" the point you made is that handshaking promotes sportsmanship and sportsmanship is something we all need which I agree. Now my point which I do feel you missed was not that the number of handshakes was too much I merely used those numbers to bolster my argument but that a team or wrestler either has sportsmanship instilled in him by his coaches or family or he doesn't. No amount of handshaking will be able to change that. We have all seen the wrestler who throws his headgear and runs off the mat after a loss only to be forced to return and shake hands now did that teach the boy a lesson or further instigate his anger. I would say the latter. As far as my experience in the field of wrestling as cited by your snide comment "makes me wonder how many and if any matches you have ever wrestled in your illustrious career " I feel that information is unnecessary as my arguments stand on their own validity regardless of my personal background. The fact that you would reduce to attacking my character rather than stating facts or well thought out arguments (suggests that) you have no further legitimate cognitions as to advancing the debate on handshaking. Please do not continue insulting me or placing my knowledge in question. Thank you

November 1, 2000
comments: From: Panhandle Parent.....
With all due respect I have to say I believe that you are missing the point and have missed out on a lot of good wrestling if all you do at matches is watch and count the handshakes. As a matter of fact I did do the math and you can too. At the Fairmont Invitationals or the Wheeling Park Tournament where you have 20 to 30 teams and up......I think there are quite a few more handshakes than that. The fact that you are obsessed with "not" shaking hands makes me wonder how many and if any matches you have ever wrestled in your illustrious career.

November 1, 2000
comments: I am the father of 2 youth wrestlers who love the sport and can't wait for the season to start. Even though I started them fairly young we took it slow and made it fun. I see many WV youth tournaments with 4 and under weight classes and I think it is ridiculous. The kids always look frightened to me and most do not even wear headgear. The least tournament sponsors should do is make ear protection mandatory for babies who are not old enough to make a decision on the risk of cauliflower ear themselves.
P.S. I love the website and appreciate all the hard work the editor does. Thanks.

November 1, 2000
comments: Am I getting this right? Wrestlers are not supposed to shake the opposing coaches hands after each match. What's up with that? I Mean where is the sportsmanship? That looks bad on the wrestler. Honestly it is an odd thing to do but it is definitely a right thing to do. The first time I saw a wrestler do that was Chris Basford from Grafton. When he wrestled against Sam Stewart and lost his matches against him he always went over to shake coach Beane's hand. That honestly shows how wrestlers can be cool headed after each match. It is not a form of taunting. It is just a well mannered wrestler showing his respect to other schools. In all honestly coach Beane and coach Auvil have brought out some well mannered wrestlers. I can remember very few to walk of the mats without shaking the other coaches hands. This rule should not be put into effect. If something got out of hand I am sure a team point would be taken away. Sportsmanship is what wrestling should always be about and if we can't shake the other coaches hand after a match how does that make us look?

November 1, 2000
comments: I am not a fan of South bragging all the time here on the forum but lets look at it this way folks.
1. South has earned the right to brag. If you do not recall who has won most of the AAA titles in the last decade? I believe the answer is..... South.
2. As much as you don't want to believe it South has a great team coming back this year and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon.They are my pick to win it again this year.
3. Remember it is just talk folks. If you want them to eat their words beat them in February. Then you can talk all you want on here about how your respective team is the best in the state. Right now South is just adding fuel to your fire. Accept the challenge they have posed and conquer it. Notice you dont see the names of the South wrestlers running their mouths. The boys are probably training right now for the upcoming season not wasting their time on here.
4. Finally South is the defending state champion. If you want the gate you have to take the key from the gatekeeper. Train hard the sky is the limit if you are focused on what you want!
Good luck to all teams on the upcoming season! Please check out my column "Around the mat"
-Jeff

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page