West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- November 1999 Forum (Part One)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

November 7, 1999
comments: Okay where are the Buckhannon results? It's been such a long dry spell...... since February.

November 7, 1999
comments: How someone mentioned that how AAA champ should wrestle the AA and runner ups wrestle and so on. Well this weekend at Buchanon Upshur the two runner ups in AAA and AA me twice and the AAA a wrestler won twice bt scores of 9-6 and 2-0. Also everybody better watch out for Bosely of Parkersburgh South he looked very strong in beating Ashley Gandee i think by a score of 10-1.

November 7, 1999

comments: when will this years scheduals be posted .
Editor's note: Probably this week I will do the annual mass postal mailing to coaches to solicit information on this year's team -- schedule, roster, etc. As the info is returned, I update team pages and work on the schedule information.

November 7, 1999
comments: I heard that the Parkersburg Cougars and the Patriots (youth programs) from the same town were combining forces...anyone heard anything about that?

November 6, 1999
comments: Man this AAA vs AA sounds worse then WVU vs Marshall!!!!

November 5, 1999
comments: I, for one, am not in favor of an additional match at the end of the year between AA/A and AAA champs. While it would be a great show, and as a fan I sure would enjoy it, who would it benefit?

I remember a few years ago listening to WVU football coach Don Nehlen discussing a college football national championship playoff system to determine the "true number one" in college football. He was against the idea. He said, under the current bowl system, ten or fifteen teams get to end their season as winners. Why change it so that only one team gets to end the season as a winner?

Same thing with a state wrestling final. These kids have busted their hump all season, and 28 get to end the year as a champ. Why ask them to put that on the line so that we can wind up with 14 champs instead of 28? What's in it for the kids? Who benefits? Fans sure would benefit. Someone would make a lot of money on the event. Bragging rights for someone. If there was some guanateeed scholarship for the final 14 champs it would be different. But that's not likely. I figure that if a kid wants to put it all on the line and attract the attention of some college coach who might have overlooked him, he can go to Pittsburgh when he is a senior. But I don't know why we should ask a kid who has just earned a state championship to put it one the line the next week.

As it is now, kids weigh in once for the state tournament, and then forget the scales and focus on wrestling. How many wrestlers would want to wrestle a state tournament AND worry about making weight the next week in the event they are a champ?

If we want to determine one state champ for the entire weight class, the WVSSAC might have a ready solution for that -- simply turn the clock back to pre-1976. Have a "one class" state tournament. I am told that the coaches worked hard to get the state tournament broken into 2 divisions. Who wants to go back to that?

One mechanism might be this. Instead of running the State Tournament as two separate 16-man-per-bracket tournaments, run it as one 32-man-per-bracket tournament. Then, award 14 individual championships, and also 2 (or 3) team championships based on order of team finish - Highest placing AAA team, AA team, A team. Kinda like the OVAC tournament. I haven't done the details, but it would make for a longer tournament. You would have to add 3 rounds of wrestling (12 rounds instead of nine) and you would have to add perhaps an entire day to the tournament or at least start Thursday morning. Or make the first round single elimination. Or, keep the current 8 regions but only take the top two from each region to the state tournament. Or re-do the regions back to 4 total regions for the entire state.

This is, of course, idle chat. I think its time to get the season underway!!!!!

November 5, 1999
comments: To everyone that is hung up on the whole AA & AAA thing. I have been reading the forum for a few years now and I would like to say that I am disappointed in all of the hipe about who is the best. Predictions and opinions on who is the best don't really matter. Talk is cheap. Let the young men wrestle. The cream will rise to the top.

November 5, 1999
comments: Look for seniors Josh Coffee J.P. Stanly and Todd Arbes to lead Midland to their first state title. I almost guarentee it!!!

November 5, 1999
comments: Jimmy Johnson is back for Calhoun County and plans to wrestle at 119 by states. Look out all he's strong.

November 5, 1999
email: matman2@hotmail.com
comments: I strongly agree with what some people say about having a AA and AAA state champ match just to see who is the better wrestler. I for one would be up to wrestling those over rated AAA guys. I believe that AA would suprise alot of people because we can wrestle believe or not. So stop saying that AAA is better or that AA is better. Lets just do something about it and talk to some head honcho person to set up a AA AAA state champ match a week or two after states. LET THE BEST MAN WIN!!!!!

November 5, 1999
comments: TO THE INDIVIDUALS CONDUCTING THIS RIDICULOUS DEBATE BETWEEN(AA) & (AAA). IT IS A FANTASTIC THAT YOU BELIEVE IN YOUR SCHOLASTIC SUB-DIVISION. PUT ALL THE ENERGY YOUR USING IN TYPING THESE SILLY STATEMENTS ON THIS WEBPAGE INTO Y0UR TRAINING.

ANYWAY YOU CANNOT JUDGE THE SUCCESS A WRESTLER HAS IN COLLEGE FROM HIS CLASSIFICATION IN HIGHSCHOOL OF A "MASON" & A "SAMPLES"! TWO MACHINES. WHY THOUGH. . .? MENTAL TOUGHNESS A STRONG SENSE OF SPIRITUALITY AND GREAT WORK ETHIC. AND WITH ALOT RESPECT TO THE COACHES THEY HAD GROWING UP.

I AM LED TO BELIEVE THAT THE INDIVIDUALS BICKERING DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT WEST VIRGINIA WRESTLING BECAUSE YOU LEFT OUT "KENNY CHERTOW" PENN STATE ALL-AMERICAN OLYMPIAN. . .COMBINED WITH A PLETHORA OF OTHER ACHEIVEMENTS. NEEDLESS TO SAY YOU LEFT OUT ANOTHER HUNTINGTON NATIVE. . .JAMES BRANCH WHO WON A NATIONAL TITLE FOR WEST LIBERTY STATE UNDER COACH MONSEAU. AND COACH MONSEAU'S SON VINNIE WHO PLACE THIRD IN (NAIA) (3) YEARS AT 142. WHO CARES WHAT HIGH SCHOOL THEY CAME FROM AND WHAT DIVISION IT IS. WHO IS TO SAY WHICH CLASSIFICATION IS THE BEST. WHY CANT IT BE SAID THAT WEST VIRGINIA PRODUCES ALOT OF GREAT WRESTLERS AND THAT WE WANT TO PRODUCE MORE.

THIS TOPIC IS BUTCHERED! LET IT LIE! WORRY ABOUT HOW YOU. . . YOURSELVES CAN BE A "MASON" OR "SAMPLES!" QUIT WITH THOSE WEIGHT CLASS PREDICTIONS AS WELL!! HERE IS A LITTLE HINT. . .WHILE YOUR TYPING. . . THE RETURNING STATE CHAMPIONS ARE TRAINING.

November 5, 1999
email: TeamEaster@aol.com
comments: In regards to Wood co. wrestling in a closed county. I coach at the Patriot Club and each year we have a few kids (parents) that realize their progress in wrestling has been limited by the closed county policy and join our club. Granted traveling clubs are not for everyone because of the added expense and time involved. It is very difficult for a beginner to start with a club that trains at the top level. Wood co. has a long tradition of wrestling and a number of coaches all doing what is best for the kids. This combination will continue to produce champions. However a lot of change has taken place outside of this wrestling Mecca. Ken Chertow spent alot of time in the Charleston and Huntington area working with kids that have won championships and some that are just starting their high school careers. He also trained a dominating youth club. Many of these boys having no experience outside of league play. Mike Mason runs a good summer camp but very few Wood Co. kids take advantage of it. Robbie Archer is very good and starting to make his mark with camps and a wrestling school. Cliff Warden is working the Raliegh co. area harder than ever before. Mark Samples is starting to make progress in Charleston. I'm sure other areas of WV are picking up the pace also - I just don't know the names of the coaches.

Wood Co. had a good idea by not sharing their wrestling secrets. In the mean time many people have learned wrestling and are sharing with the rest of the state. Any county not willing to make the changes for progress will be challenged and surpassed by those that are striving for excellence.

November 5, 1999
comments: why is everyone making such a big deal over AAA and AA?? it doesnt matter what class you are in we are all wrestlers and the only thing we need to worry about is winning. if a AAA wrestler goes up agianst a AA wrestler and losses its not b/c AA is better than AAA its b/c he was just a better wrestler.

November 5, 1999
While someone brought up the topic of Oak Glen, here is an interesting stat.
Team scores at the OVAC last year:
Oak Glen 196
Brooke 82
John Marshall 79.5

Team scores at the State Tournament (AAA)
1. Parkersburg South 165
7. Brooke 81
9. Wheeling Park 72.5

Lets see, Brooke and John Marshall had almost identical team scores in both large tournaments. Apply that to Oak Glen, and you have Oak Glen winning the AAA states last year in walk. (By the way, Oak Glen finished behind JM and WP in the OVAC in 1998, and behind JM, WP, and Brooke in 1997).

November 5, 1999
comments: Good point about Oak Glen here is how they have fared the past several years in both divisions:
1993 11th place AAA 59.0 points
1994 19th place AAA 27.0 points
1995 19th place AAA 24.0 points
1996 32nd place AAA 2.0 points
1997 1st place AA 189.5 points
1998 1st place AA 213.0 points
1999 1st place AA 218.0 points

November 5, 1999
comments: I just wanna say good luck to Coach Cullen Coach Darst and all the hard working wrestlers at PPHS... And good luck to John Bonecutter no matter what weight class he is in..he will be a factor comes states. Why? Because he is good....YES. AND because of the X factor...?????? Just what that is...is known by few.

November 5, 1999
comments: I want to wish good luck to Josh Staubs who has walked on at Virginia Tech at 133 this year.

November 5, 1999
email: satt60@aol.com
comments: could anyone please list the teams that will be at the brooke tournament or send them to me i would appreciate it

November 5, 1999
comments: .... but it really doesn't help anything to boast your team in cyberspace. It only hurts your credibility.... the one thing you can't measure in poundz and reps is heart! And that's what wins wrestling matches!!!

November 5, 1999
comments: Will this be the year people in wood co. start a real effort to eliminate the out of county rule? Sooner or later the rest of the state is going to catch up its only a matter of time. The other Jr. High teams are facing tougher & tougher seasons wood co. is stagnating. Even here in wood co. we see this with mainly boys from the cougers- patriots& the old blue team winning at the states.You would think the other Jr. High parents would get tired of their kids never having a chance and having to depend on fluke luck Watch at next STATES and see how many boys finish in the top 3 that didnt compete with a traveling team. Time for change or it wont be Wood CO. dancin the final dance on Saturday NIGHT under the BIG SPOTLIGHT.

November 4, 1999
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: All this AA/AAA stuff is getting old but i have a point to make where are all these good AAA wrestlers when it comes time for the college level. Mike Mason probably the greatest WV wrestler of all time 2 time NCAA all american 7th in 97 and 3rd in 98 came from AA Williamstown and Jeremy Hart qualified for the NCAA nationals last year and has a great shot at being a all american this year was also a AA wrestler from Independence the only AAA wrestler that i know of (correct me if im wrong) is Mark Samples who placed 7th in 99 in the NCAA i believe more AA wrestler are having more sucess beyond the high school level than AAA wrestlers. thank you very much.... feel free to correct me if im wrong but i dont think i am!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 1999
comments: Ya i noticed that the pphs footbal was saying this guy benches this and squats that. That may be all nice and stuff but there is more to wrestling than just strength Its more skill than strength. If u aint got the skills strenght will only get u so far

November 4, 1999
comments: I wouldnt leave mays out of any thing.. he has gotten better over the year.. but Im not making any predictions...

November 4, 1999
comments: This site has been in existence for what? 3 or 4 years? Anyway this is the first time that I have noticed such a great dispute between Who is better? AAA? or AA? Well I'm not going to answer that question I'm just making light that it has taken practically four years to get this argument developed. I noticed last year the majority of the talk on the forum was intended for AA readers. Several homepages popped up quite a few AA "personalities" were created. However if I recall only one AAA "personality" existed. Why is that? Wouldn't you think that AAA wrestlers would just as much access to the internet as AA wrestlers. All I'm saying is that AAA wrestlers have been doing their work on the mat not on the internet. Don't get me wrong AA this is a great site but you can yourself or your team up all you want but State Champions are made ON THE MAT not in cyberspace. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be offensive I wrestled AA myself. But I'm warning you guys don't make the same mistake I did. Don't get to caught up trying to "advertise" yourself on here and forget to show people what you've got when it counts!! Good Luck (AAA and AA)
ME

November 4, 1999
comments: AA-AAA debate
When Oak Glen was in AAA a few years ago they were a good team. Now that they are AA they are a dynasty.

November 4, 1999
comments: I know one thing for sure Bonecutter is going to win states! And Mayes does not stand a chance anainst Warner this year! Midland does not stand a chance!!

comments: My top ten pics!
1 The Berg!
2 South
3 Hedgesville
4 N Marion
5 Fairmont Senior
6 Point Pleasant
7 Cabell Midland
8 Huntington
9 Nitro
10 Ripley

After seeing the PPHS wrestling team in the weight room I know that they are a lethal wrestling team!

(fill in the blank) better watch out for (fill in the blank)! He's benching 320 and squatting 450! He said the key for the states is to beat you!

The thing that places PPHS ahead of everybody else is that we have the best coaches in the state! Jack Cullen is the greatest coach around! And at the assistant coach we have Dave Darst! Both coaches are fine men! And to round it all off we have the best selection of wrestlers! It will be hard to beat us this year! We have Bonecutter Warner Pumphrey Dewees Nott and Carr! And look out for the new comer Nathan Stephens! Three fourths of this team is juniors! My prediction.......STATE CHAMPS THIS YEAR AND NEXT YEAR! Let the dynasty begin!

We have many fine frosh coming up this year! In the middle school there team was undefeated! We have Jesse Nott Nick Duncan Nick Russell Jason McCoy Justin Hill and Andy Knopp! You might not here a whole lot from them this year but you will in years to come!

To all the AA schools you had better watch out! Theres a new dawn in wrestling! THE WAHAMA WHITE FALCONS! Former Point Middle School coach Billy Cottril will head the coaching job! Calhoun and Wirt had better watch out!

November 4, 1999
comments: hey region 3 watcher i could not agree with you more on your nov.1 article. it looks like you have done your homework.

November 4, 1999
comments: frankfort web page
http://www.angelfire.com/wv/fhs

November 4, 1999
comments: I for one appreciate all the praise the boys from Point Pleasant are getting on the forum.but they know they have to get it done on the mat.with wrestlers like Bonecutter, Carr, Pumphrey, Warner, Nott, Deweese and a whole lot of young talent. We expect them to do well this year. We're thankful for our coaches (Jack Cullen and Dave Darst). We think they are two of the best in the state. Also, letting every one know we have a new middle school coach Mike Calandros -- you may remember him from his old wrestling days WAY BACK in the early 80's (JUST KIDDING MIKE) HE PLACED HIGH IN THE STATES AS A SENIOR. Mike will do well for the kids. Also thanks to wvmat editor and staff for all the info. on wv wrestling WHAT A GREAT JOB.

November 4, 1999
comments: Ok on the AA-AAA deal. It just that the kids in the finals are all about the same. Anymore there is only about two real good kids in a weight class and it don't matter if its AAA or AA. It just there is a better quality of wrestler placing 3-6 in AAA than in AA. Yet sometimes there not but does all of this really matter though?? Oh ya and i did wreslte AA and when i wreslted the teams i was on would have placed just as high in AAA as they would have AA The AAA teams except for the Parkersburg schools were no better than us.

November 4, 1999
comments: Ok I have been reading the comments about AAA and AA. From what the 3a people have been saying they think that they are just the best wrestlers on the face of the earth. I for one am glad that someone is bringing it to everyone's attention that AA is stronger then many people think. I am not meaning to put down either class. What I would like to see is what a few people said. Pick the top 6 placers in each weight class and let them wrestle each other. Like set the tournement a week after states. There ARE very good people in both divisions. At some times yes there are some AAA that will beat AA kids but all I am saying is I don't think AA ( and A) should be left out. I think in many matches people would be surprised. I feel a good part of the A and AA kids would win if they didn't. I feel that A and AA would put up one heck of a fight with the big bad AAA schools. I don't want to see a inter division fight. I'm just very tired of AAA getting all the credit all the fame and all the talk on the forum. There are people that are as good in A and AA!

November 4, 1999
comments: It's good that the season is almost here so let's go over a few of my opinions.
1-In AAA watch out for the SOUTHERN teams to claim top honors ( Midland Huntington) instead of the Nortern teams (phs South) and Hedgesville as the top northern team.
2- Why does everybody automatically give AA title to Oak Glen? Cameron lost 2 kids last year and 1 of them will be replaced by a wrestler of higher caliber. Ritchie also brings back alot of talent and if I'm correct didn't OG lose 4 state champs and a 3rd place finisher ? Let's talk about the other school in the panhandle that has the caliber to win it all. No one in any poll from Cameron has been posted as a potential state champ. We have at least 6 or 7 capable so give us some credit. I don't know where i will be at yet(140-152)

November 4, 1999
comments: This is a response to the confusion about Ty Emerick of South. Some people have been getting a lot of heat for listing him in their predictions even though he graduated last year. Our editor then apologized for having him listed as a junior last year on this website thereby possibly adding to the confusion.

Now let's take a look at the REAL reason to all of this confusion:

For about the past 20 years (thats how long I've been following WV wrestling) EVERY single AAA state program lists the grades and records of all wrestlers. I know in a few years a couple wrestlers (usually from Greenbrier East or Oak Hill) didnt have grades but NEVER did an entire region not supply grades of its wrestlers for the state program. That is not until 2 years ago when region 1 had NO grades for any of its wrestlers. This dubious feat was then repeated last year as no grades were listed by any of the region 1 wrestlers.

My question is WHY???????????
(And some other stuff snipped....)
Editor's note: This post is from someone else, not me!!!! (smile)
The nice thing about a website, is that errors can be corrected. I think we have it straightened out now, and that's what matters. By the way, when readers see obvious errors on these pages (and I'm sure there are some), you can help out be calling them to our attention...

November 4, 1999
comments: The answer to why AAA wrestling is superior to AA is very simple: It's a NUMBERS GAME!!!

There are a lot more students/wrestlers in the AAA class than in AA. Therefore the caliber of the best wrestlers in AAA for the most part will always be better than the best wrestlers in A/AA. However there are always exceptions to the rule such as Mike Mason or Ash Wenmoth.

This same reasoning applies when comparing WV wrestling as a whole to other states such as PA or OH. WV has what 1.8 million people? PA has about 15 million. Thats a whole lot more "top caliber" wrestlers competing for state titles than in WV and the majority of PA's state champs would dominate their way to a WV state championship. There are also exceptions here too such as Jason Ward when he beat 1998 PA state champ Pat O'Donnell at the Nationals High School Seniors tournament in Pittsburgh last year.

November 4, 1999
comments: Everyone is wondering whether PHS or south is going to win the state title. Parkersburg High is going to dominate South. PHS is too good for South they outclass them and we will see who wins the title come the state tourny. There is no doubt in anyones mind that PHS will win. How can you lose with Stevens Samples George Williams Trusty Shirtzinger on your team. Well.... its simple you cant.

November 4, 1999
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: with the http://wvaa.homepage.com address please click on team breakdowns under that is a seperate page for EVERY AA team in the state. This took quite quite awhile to do and I'd appreciate it if any errors were brought to my attenition.

November 4, 1999
email: adscboy@aol.com
comments: I don't want to beat this to death about AA vs AAA. there are always times when a AA kid will beat a AAA. but over all i am saying that AAA wrestlers as a whole are better "maybe just cause there's more" whatever reason they are. in north Carolina they have two different states. one team state meet and one of individuals this will settle who is the better wrestling team and best in every weight class.

November 3, 1999
email: dadunbar@citynet.net
comments: I have 2 sons ages 6 and 8 who are interested in wrestling. We live in the Cross Lanes area. Who should we contact in this area for team? Thanks.

November 3, 1999
comments: I am CHRIS NEPTUNE a former Fairmont Senior wrestler from 94-97. In the years that I have followed and participated in wrestling to be just I would have to say that AAA is largely dominant over AA. I notice that some AA wrestlers have submitted cases in which they have won matches over AAA wrestlers. Obviously there are good wrestlers in AA therefore a few examples does not help your case. I will however site an example of my own. I wrestled Oscar Hoit{1997 AA 171lb. state champion} in the quarterfinals of the Brooke tournament my senior year. I majored him 16-2 on my way to the championship of a tournament that he failed to place. If AA is so tough I would think that one of it's champions would not fall to a AAA wrestler by 14 points.

November 3, 1999
comments: AA has good wrestlers nobody disagrees with that but the consistancy of good wrestlers in AAA is greater. let's just leave it at that eh?

November 3, 1999
comments: who is this Bonecutter guy? and is that his real name? maybe that's a silly question but i'm new to this area.
Editor's note: Try the "Search this website" page. Linked on the front page.

November 3, 1999
Lincoln high school is looking for a head coach to start a wrestling team, any takers? Lets keep wrestling alive in the area and help the Big Ten to strengthen its conference.
Editor's note: If anybody is seriously interested, email me and I'll put you in touch with somebody...

November 3, 1999
comments: If a huge state like New York only has ONE state champ for each weight class why does WV have two classes? This puts the A or AA wrestler in the position of having to take a "backseat" to a AAA wrestler he may be better than. I like the idea of a season finale between the champions and think it would be a great fundraiser. Ultimately though we only need ONE state champ in each wt. class in a state as small as ours especially since you can award separate TEAM championships by school enrollment like they do in the OVAC tourney. The best thing about wrestling is that it is a no excuses one-on-one sport. When the WVSSAC adopted 2 state champs for each wt. class in the late 1970s it fixed something that was not broken. This is from a dad who son attends a single A school.

November 2, 1999
comments: to answer the question. Where was Adam Schindler last year? (Rumor has it) that he plans to return to the mat this year for Ravenswood in 135-145lbs. weight class.

November 2, 1999
comments: To former 3A:
Well how about this idea lets take the the top six wrestlers in each weight class A AA and AAA. After the state tourney and let #1 from AA wrestle #1 from AA #2 from AA vs #2 from AAA and so on and we'll see. I think AA would suprise you. I'm not downing either AA nor AAA there are good wrestlers in each. And another thing I dont know why this is even an is is even an issue just let us have wrestle and have fun.

November 2, 1999
comments: to [HHS wrestler] i think the wrestler that beat mays twice last year from point pleasant was matt warner [not weener]he was also a freshman.

November 2, 1999
email: wv_aa@hotmail.com
comments: hey Listen I been watching the debate on the forum between AAA and AA. Well I'm not getting into it. But since I wrestleD AA here's my site dedicated to WV AA Wrestling. I put it together rather quickley items are blank because the season hasn't started yet. If you find any errors please email me so I can have it corrected come season time!
http://wvaa.homepage.com thanks
wvaa

November 1, 1999
email: smittyc_69@hotmail.com
comments: I am looking for the 92 93 94 state tourney reaults both AA and AAA if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it. By the way watch out for those Patriots this year. Good luck Coach Gilson

November 1, 1999
comments: To Mankind
I noticed u picked Ty Emrick to be one of the Top 152lbs in AAA. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE HE WAS A SENIOR LAST YEAR. HE CAN NOT WRESTLE THIS YEAR BECAUSE HE IS NO LONGER IN HIGH SCHOOL. YOU ARE LIKE THE 5TH PERSON TO PICK HIM TO DO WELL. ARE U PEOPLE SO DENSE U DONT PAY ANY ATTENTION? If u going to predict please pick kids that are in high school.
Editor's note: Yikes. I have to take at least part of the blame for the confusion. I had him listed as a junior last year on the state tournament page. For some reason, none of the AAA Region I qualifiers had their class rank listed in the tournament program. I must have received some bum information somewhere along the line (or guessed wrong).

November 1, 1999
email: pillarsrv@aol.com
comments: Anyone pretty good going be at Buckhannon at 120# or 128# 11th 12th grade? Is Matt George going or anyone know if he's doing any preseason? email me at pillarsrv@aol.com...

November 1, 1999
comments: Ummm i just just wanna say to that anonymous person who said something about a guy named Weener.Mays was a freshman last year and I'm just dying to find out what grade Weener is in. Oh yea ...people stop putting everything in caps!!

November 1, 1999
comments: I'VE HEARD ALL THE TALK ABOUT THE NORTH BEING STRONG. I'M SURE THEY WILL BE BUT YOU BETTER WATCH OUT FOR REGION III TEAMS [HUNTINGTON CM POINT AND NITRO. YOU'R GOING TO SEE ONE OF THE TOUGHEST NITRO TEAMS EVER THIS YEAR. I'M NOT SAYING THEY WILL WIN STATES BUT THEY WILL BE THERE.POINT LIKE NITRO ARE STILL A YEAR AWAY FROM POSSIBLE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. I'VE WATCH POINT'S YOUNGER GUY'S WIN CHAMIONSHIP AFTER CHAMPIONSHIP AT WSAZ TOURNS.THOSE BOYS HAVE MOVED TO THE HIGH SCHOOL TO HELP BUILD ANOTHER DYNASTY. HUNTINGTON IS YOUNG AND ALSO GOOD AND WILL BE A FORCE THIS YEAR.CABEL MIDLAND HAS A REAL GOOD CHANCE TO CHALLENGE THIS YEAR. THIS THOU MIGHT BE THE LAST FOR A FEW YEAR'S.SO IT'S HUNTINGTON AND CABEL THIS YEAR POINT AND NITRO NEXT.TO ALL OTHER REGIONS LOOK OUT FOR REGION III THE NEXT COUPLE YEARS.

November 1, 1999
comments: I SAW BONECUTTER OVER THE SUMMER MAN HE'S PUT ON AT LEAST TWENTY POUNDS AND IT LOOKS SOLID I WOULD SAY HE WILL WRESTLE AT LEAST 152 WGT.

November 1, 1999
comments: To former 3a
I am a 2x state champion and I beat alot of triple AAA people and even the #1 ranked AAA kid in my weight class and yes not only once did I beat him but twice. Also my team mate beat a AAA state champion and he was AA state champ too . So don't judge AA too poorly their alot tougher than what you think.

November 1, 1999
Hi, I am a frehman at Concord College, located in Mercer county. This college has no wrestling team and I would like to try and get one going, but I dunno where to begin. Finding the guys are easy because there is so many former high school grapplers here. If anyone can give me an idea or help me out then could u email me at demasi_pj@hotmail.com
thanks
pj

November 1, 1999
comments: To set the record straight Musselman is in region II. This is the second year of wrestlings rebirth at Musselman High School. They had a team throughout the 70's and 80's. Head Coach Mark Cagle was WVU's first All-American and is in WVU's Wrestling's Hall of Fame. He is without a doubt one of the state's most knowledgable coaches. Coach Cagle coached at Mussleman in 1988 &1989 and produced a two-time state champ who is now his assistant coach. You better look out for this program in the years to come.

November 1, 1999
email: XcorylaneX@aol.com
comments: This concerns the Big 10. Lincoln a High school that has No wrestling team! The school has been trying to get a coach to take the position but no one is intrested. If you are interested in coaching this school let me know at my address. It would mean a lot to the kids there.

November 1, 1999
email: samsbt@citynet.net
comments: Old State Tournaments. Off Season Conditioning.
I have tournament booklets for the '92 tournment and '93 tournament and tournaments from the mid to late '80s but have been hestitant to archive them because of incomplete consolation results. My research through old Parkersburg New&Sentinel papers only find championship brackets results. The Huntington Dispatch usually carrys full tournament results. If anyone can send me the consolation results I would be happy to archive those years next. Free time has been a rarity in my household the past few months but I hope to be back on this project soon making do with what I have access to.

Congrats to Parkersburg South's Josh Van Matre for his State Cross Country finish. Josh finished in the top 25 at this year's state meet. I'm sure there are other wrestlers who participated at the State meet that I'm not aware of but for those of you who do not play football Cross Country is a great off-season sport that is a excellent conditioner for wrestling. If you can run 5000 meters in under 20 minutes wrestling a full six minutes and overtime periods will come a lot easier.

November 1, 1999
email: adscboy@aol.com
comments: To AA fan
AA is good I'll give you that but come on get real there are only a handful of AA teams that can wrestle with AAA. AAA kids that dont place in states or place low beat AA state champs every year. that alone says that aa is not as good as AAA. there are some good wrestlers in AA but not as many as AAA
November 1, 1999
comments: dmb that is true oak glen is yet to win it four years in a row they will though.

November 1, 1999
comments: YES I THINK COFFEE WILL WIN THE 189 WGT. CLASS BUT ONLY IF WHERLE DESIDES TO GO TO 215.

November 1, 1999
comments: HERE ARE MY PREDICTIONS FOR THE TOP THREE IN EACH WGT.CLASS FOR THE COMING YEAR I'LL UPDATE WHEN EVERYONES WGT.IS STABLE. I KNOW IT'S TO EARLY TO RANK WRESTLERS BUT IT'S FUN TO TALK ABOUT SO HERE GOES
103 DELLIGHATTI LAYNER STANLEY
112 STEVENS DUNCAN BALLUM
119 JOHNSON KINSLEY SAMPLES
125 GEORGE SHETLER STANLEY
130 REGALBUTO EVENS PUMPHREY
135 BOSLEY WALTERS GRIFFIN
140 MOATS GATIAN ARBES
145 TRUSTY MAYS LANE
152 BONECUTTER WILLIAMS EMRICK
160 MILLER CINALLI ESQUE
171 COURTNEY COULTER JACKSON
189 COFFEE STRUNK STRENTHAL
215 WHERLE GRAY CARR
275 HEATH GAINES WELLMAN

November 1, 1999
comments: TO HHS WRESTLER YES MAYS IS PROBABLE A GOOD WRESTLER BUT MATT WEENER OF POINT PLEASANT BEAT HIM TWICE LAST YEAR. LOOK FOR IT AGAIN.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page