West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- November 2000 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

November 21, 2000
comments: I don't know why some people have problems with people making predictions. I don't see that it hurts anyone and they are interesting to look at. So keep the predictions coming.

November 21, 2000
comments: Mays from huntington is 160lb.

November 21, 2000
comments: In response to RH. Yes we'd like to keep everyone but 1. They would not get to go to any events as most tournaments limit entries 2. Our county does not allow any volunteer coaches. and 3. 60 wrestlers in a 45 x 45 foot room is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen. The kids that I cut were all introduced to the Pee Wee coach on the spot the day the first day of tryouts. and a number of them are wrestling there. They will get more mat time and more one on one instruction not to mention have a greater chance at success. As far as begging for money goes I have raised more than 4 000 dollars in the last two years personally to outfit my team by selling lollipops before and after school hours. My wrestlers have also had car washes etc. We have all new custom singlets headgear and Warm Ups. We have bought a library of technique videos that they can check out and watch. We even provide most of our kids with wrestling shoes. BUT - We don't beg for money we earn it. Our program is totally self sufficient and we do not ask for a dime from the school system. For an even better example go to the team list and read about Harper's Ferry Jr. High and their program. Unless you are capable of teaching 50-60 youngsters singlehandedly in a small room then please don't judge. Also remember that a lot of those kids enter looking for the ring ropes and folding chairs! One of my six grader's MOMS asked me if he got to pick out his own entrance music! I think I can speak for most coaches in saying we are doing all we can for as many as we can.

November 21, 2000
comments: does anyone know were brian moats is at this year?

November 21, 2000
comments: To: Old talzer
I'm very sorry for expressing my opinion about having a Jr. High/Middle School state tournament without first having won 2 high school state championships didn't know that was a prerequisit for posting on this forum. I do however think you are mistaken in labeling any parent whom you are not aquainted with as " living through their children ". First some kids are achievers and some are not. That is fine in itself and each person reaches his own level of acomplishment in this life by hard work and motivation to excel at their given endeavors. By wanting to give student athletes an oppotunity to compete at a higher level I don't believe anyone is living through their child. At the Junior High/Middle School level we are talking about athletes 12-15 years of age who have decided to participate in a competetive extracurricular activity. I believe that this is probable cause to believe that they might be somewhat competitive in nature and would want to test themselves in competition against other athletes who are also competitive in nature. Whether it is a dual meet against a local school or a state tournament there is a winner and a loser. The only difference is the stakes are higher. If we want our athletes in WV to have the opportuntity to play any sport at a higher level we have to keep on giving them arenas in which to test themselves. While I do agree with you that at a youth level (ages 4-12) some parents are nuts and this applies to all youth sports I think that at some point a young adult decides what they want to do and we should give them the oportunity to be as good as they want to be.

November 21, 2000
comments: Hey I have been worrying all week about this...does anyone know what weight the Hughes brothers from Cameron (Casey and Tyler) are wrestling this year? Thanks.

November 21, 2000
email: theAAsource@hotmail.com
comments: I'm back and so will are my predictions. Any fans or wrestlers wanting to submit probable lineups for consideration in my rankings please feel free to. You will hear more from me later. Thanks!

November 21, 2000
email: juju_ann03@hotmail.com
comments: If Thevenir who wrestled for Riverside last year is out there could he please e-mail me I'm a big fan of his. Thanks Julie.

November 21, 2000
comments: Below is a link for WV-Ohio-Pa Youth Wrestling Forum. It will serve to communicate and promote youth wrestling and all clubs. WV Mat is linked at the top of the page for easy return here.

http://members3.boardhost.com/youthwrestling/?974779729

November 21, 2000
comments: I usually agree with the wrestling community but I don't agree on cutting any kid from a wrestling team because of too many bodies. Find a place for them. The kids and the team will be better. Find some more volunteer coaches. Cutting kids is a big big huge mistake. Outfit 100 of them if the interest is there!! Beg for money anything. Kids needs mentors leadership and exercise. Wrestling is a perfect match. Investing in every kid willing to work will pay dividends for years to come.

November 21, 2000
comments: I am a youth coach. Could someone please post the date and contact person for entry forms for the Parkersburg Cougar Classic and the Burgettstown (Pa) First Year Tourney.THANKS.

November 21, 2000
comments: I have noticed several comments regarding one youth state tournament. I agree that there should be one tourney.I began some dialogue with two of the individuals in charge of running those tournaments earlier in the year and have recently stepped up the concerns. Both parties at this point seem to be very coopertative and I am optimistic that some improvements for the sport can be made.

November 21, 2000
comments: To the bulldog. Put a star on them and see what happens. I know and have talked to alot of wrestler from wrestling intense schools. After graduating from the sport they hate the thought of going back out on the mat. I wonder why? You see I think that although you mean well I see the kids getting "burned out on the sport". I hope that you get your States so YOU can fulfill the dream that you were never able to accomplish. Win the big one. As for me I have been there and done that twice in "HIGH SCHOOL". Do not live your life through our kids.

November 21, 2000
comments: Hey Jr. High coach---Get Real. You'll learn soon!!!!!!

November 21, 2000
email: tatertots@usa.net
comments: Good luck to coach schenerlein..he takes over this year for coach handlan!!!

November 21, 2000
comments: How do you guys figure that having a Junior High State is going to burnout or make wrestlers less motivated when they get to high school there is no such thing as burnout or not being able to get motivated its called laziness. I would know I have wrestled since i was in first grade and I am a Senior in High School now and I would have loved for there to be a Junior High States. Well thats my opinion Good Luck to all this year.

November 21, 2000
comments: To whomeverwrote that you had the fear of a sixth grader wreslting a ninth grader. Do you have that same fear for a ninth grader wrestling a 12 grader? Just posing a question don't mean anything by it.

November 21, 2000
comments: TO FAN I dont know either??? As far as getting burned out thats when we need our parents to say when enough is enough. To me 4-5 year old is to early. But if you wrestle modestly and not year round when the kids get Jr. High age I dont think they'll get burnt. But each case is differnt. My opinion is that we need something more for the ones that want it. If you dont thats fine too.

November 21, 2000
comments: Are BLennerhassett and edison goin to have a good team this year i have heard that they are having problems filling up there rosters this year. who are their returning wrestlers? And are they going to make it to wsaz's?

November 21, 2000
comments: does ne one know huntington high wrestler jason mays is going this year?

November 20, 2000
comments: Many JR. HIGH and MIDDLE SCHOOL parents and wrestlers ( yes some kids still get out and do summer work to help pay for their own trips to wrestling camps ) spend a vast amount of time money and effort to be the best that they can be at our sport. A Junior High or Middle School State Tournament would be one more step in giving our kids that want to compete at an advanced level in High School or to be able to compete in the National arena more mat time at a higher level of competition. Those that cannot tolerate competition at that level would not be required by law to attend or risk death by firing squad if they don't show up. But the athletes who are serious about their chosen sport could have a venue to test themselves against the best in our state who are willing to put it on the line and attend. The youth wrestlers who want a test to measure themselves by have done it for years at the Parkersburg Youth States. Why should we not do it at the next level up ?!

November 20, 2000
comments: I understand Coach LeMaster and his situation with middle school wrestling. We at Braxton County Middle School had 46 kids practice all week and we are keeping 28 and cutting 18. The inclusion of sixth graders has really set me on my A____ as a coach who wants to do the best for all kids. We will fill all weight classes on our first team and try to work our extra kids into as much mat time as possible. With the inclusion of sixth graders we need to make sure that they get mat time and also have three years of elibibility. My biggest fear with the inclusion of sixth graders has come true. I have a sixth grader who will be our 80 pounder and he will undeniably have to wrestle an 80 pound ninth grader. As a coach I have to make a decision about whether we will let him wrestle a ninth grader or forfeit the weight class. Let's think long and hard about the inclusion of sixth graders and since we've made the decision that they ARE included let's make sure that we do right by them. I'm also still adamant about the fact that we should not have done away with the 75 lb. weight class but I feel very positive about the fact that coaches will decide in their own individual tournaments to have a 75 lb. class and recognize those athletes accordingly.

November 20, 2000
comments: To the Jr. High Coach
I do not know a college coach in America that would offer a scholarship to 6th 7th or 8th grader. Do you think that this would not burn out a lot of wrestlers...

November 20, 2000
comments: Does anyone know where Huntington's Mitch Hastings is going this year? Is he wrestling 275 or 215???

November 20, 2000
comments: Does anyone know what the Kennedy brothers from Wheeling Park are wrestling this year???

November 19, 2000
comments: Thanks for putting this survey on the forum. I hope we all can learn from the discussion. Something has to be done in West Virginia to keep wrestling alive. For those who think Jr. High kids are to young for this type of competition read carefully. Would we all agree that if we wanted the best competition for our Jr. High kids where would we have to travel? In looking at several wrestling magazines what states are always in the top ten? If a high school graduates dream came true and he was handed a full scholarship where would he want to go? (other than personal selection) To answer all of these questions anybody that knows wrestling would say the Mid-West (Iowa Oklahoma etc.) Again WV wake up and take a hint!! Improve WV wrestling don't keep it on IDLE!!! SERIOUSLY HOW CAN ANYBODY DISAGREE!!!!

November 19, 2000
comments: Jr high states is a good idea. We started one a few years ago and it has done wonders. Not only with the compition level of tourny but with the recognition level of the wrestlers. Jeff Jaggers won our Jr high states twice 7-8 grade and is predicted to win states his freshman year. This is only an example but if u dont want your kid to go dont send him. But it may help in later high school matches when it really counts and also gets a kids name known to college coaches. Yes jr high is too young to recruit kids but read sports illustrated sometime it happens all the time. just my toughts

November 19, 2000
comments: Youth States are a great way for kids to see how they match up against the other better wrestlers in the state. After a season of training and practice competing in youth tournaments and working hard to improve themselves what a wonderful reward to get to compete in the Youth State tournament. It is also a great tool to help prepare the more ambitious kids who are going on to compete in the Eastern Nationals Tournament of Champions or other national tournaments. The only problem with the current state of affairs in West Virginia is the lack of cooperation amoung the various teams or areas in implementing a unified state tournament to benefit all the kids in the state. I suggest working together now to create a great Youth State tournament and then urge everyone who is involved in youth wrestling in West Virginia to support each other. Put the kids first we can do this!!!

November 19, 2000
comments: Vertus Jones was a 3x All-American. 2x runner-up as a soph. and a senior and 3rd as a junior.

November 19, 2000
comments: I was looking at some of the wrestling scores of the state tournament last year when I came accross Huntington. They placed 5 guys and 2 of them were seniors. So that leaves Huntington with 3 wrestlers for this year that really made a lot of difference last year at the states. Huntington should have a good team this year. Were will everyone be wrestling at? They have lost Ryan Fullen(130) and Paul Brooks(135) and I was woundering if any one can fill there shoes?

Cabell Midland on the other hand has lost a lot more talented wrestlers from last year. J.P. Stanley Toad Arbes Jarad Walters and Josh Coffey. However they have 4 wrestlers who placed in the states last year coming back but were will they be? Those 4 wrestlers will have to put the weight of the whole team on there shoulders if they want to be productive in the state tounament this year. What does Cabell Midland's line up look like this year and can it put up better then a 2nd place at the states??

November 19, 2000
comments: Just a crazy idea but I know that WVMAT.COM does not accept advertising because this is more of a grass roots project which is real nice. However I wonder if this website accepted advertising whether or not the proceeds couldn't do alot to help promote wrestling in WV perhaps at a middle school or younger level. Just a thought.

I think this is a great site. I don't want to start any controversy. This is just a thought.
Editor's note: Hmmmm. I suppose that some time in the future - say 100 years from now -- there might be a $$$ approach. The last time I checked the dot.com stocks are mostly in the toilet. Even amazon.com is losing money. For now I would just say that WV Wrestling is riding the technology wave and who knows where it will end up in the future (smile).

November 19, 2000
comments: Drappo pinning Bonasso was a fluke. What happened the next time they wrestled? YOU KNOW!!

November 19, 2000
comments: to wrassler
i was a heavyweight at the time which was more than a few years ago. if you are thinking that the heavyweight class sometimes lack true athletic competion (in other words: a bunch of fat guys hoping they fall on the other first) i am here to say that the OVAC bracket contained two OH state champions one OH runner-up and many WV place finishers. The Brooke classic contained one PA runner-up and another place finisher...and we all know how tough that tournament is. i do not want to make this a mean spirited debate between us i just want to support my reasoning. hope you feel the same. what weight class were you competing at?

November 19, 2000
comments: I have only 2 words for all of u middle weights Willis King!this kid is for real i saw him looking very impressive at Buchannon and from what i hear he had a good showing this year at Fargo with team WV!Go Ripley and don't look back Willis...if you play your magic cards right you are on your way to a state title

November 19, 2000
email: lemasterjpmd@milton.total-web.net
comments: I am interested to see how the other Middle school coaches are dealing with the inclusion of sixth graders. I was pleasantly surprised by the guys who tried out at my school. Out of the 48 kids who showed up to tryout I kept 32. (2 full teams + 2 extra kids to help fill Ohio weights as we wrestle over there 3-4 times per season.) I had 10 guys who returned from last years team. That leaves 22 spots. 11 of those are sixth graders! I would never have thought they could be as competitive as they are. I knew their were a couple of Blue Chippers in the sixth grade but I realistically thought maybe 4-6 would make it. I also thought they would be almost all little guys but they are spread from 80 - 172 lbs. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with these guys in 3 years instead of 2. They are sure hustling their young butts off and some will definitely be starters mainly at the lower weights.

Anyone else out there having this experience or is yours the exact opposite? Are there going to be any other sixth graders starting? Just curious because there has been much discussion on the board about their inclusion. I plan to try to schedule some JV only matches to try to get these little guys and the rest of my B teamers as much mat time as possible. If anyone is interested in scheduling a "B" team match or if your kids have some weigh ins left and just want to get some matches please e mail me or give me a call.

November 18, 2000
comments: A bunch of people put their predicions for the State. Now before they can even get an educated guess. Wait for the season to really get under way before you all starting to make predicions.

November 18, 2000
email: SHickman@aol.com
comments: The pee wee state tournaments are held at least 1 month after the end or the Middle School Junior High season- too long after the fact to use those tournaments. Plus I doubt if any of them would want to make the conversion. Those tournaments make money for the sponsoring private clubs and I'm sure they wouldn't want to share the pie with the SSAC! One note on the tournaments on the same day as the "Parkersburg pee wee States. It's hard to argue with how Oak Glen runs their feeder programs. I'm sure they attract great competition from Ohio and Southwestern Pa. East Fairmont has run a tournament on that weekend the past several years and attracts several Southwestern Pa. teams. The tournament is a least as competitave if not some years more competative than Parkersburg. Plus it raises a bunch of money for the wrestling club. Let's save the school sponsored state tournament for the high school level and stress academics to the Jr. Hi. kids. Forget the Middle School Jr.Hi. state tournament idea. It's not important.

November 18, 2000
email: limemustang@aol
comments: Why have a huge state tournament for Middle and Jr. High? Come on folks exposure and time on the mat are important. If you have a state tournament some kids may only wrestle once that is not what we need. Time on the mat is critical for this level. A wrestler could win by just muscle and not be able to exicute any moves. Is that really teaching the kids anything? Come on now the High School State Tournament is enough!!! As for the principals not letting the students out of the county. I have to shake their hands. Tell me why the kids would wrestle on a school night and get back home late. Are we teaching the kids now a days that sports is more important the school work? If they did travel out on a Saturday the students would have to ride a bus to get to the event. That is a an expensive travel for a Jr. High or a Middle School to have to pay. If the parents drive and are transporting other children other than their own. Annnd have a wreck. Guess who is liable. Folks back off of your principles they do know a little something.

November 18, 2000
comments: Wilson from North Marion will be at 112......Starsick is back at 119 for North Marion

November 17, 2000
comments: When i was refering to the other tournaments during the West Virginia Junior State Tournaments i was just using them as an example. I didnt mean to be disrespectful about them having the tournament that same day. I do apogilize for using the Oak Glenn tournament as an example . I was just using it to make a point about other places throughout the state holding tournaments that same weekend.

November 17, 2000
comments: As far as contenders at 119 dont forget Drappo who pinned Bonasso Wilson and just lost 1-0 to Griffith at the regionals.

November 17, 2000
comments: i believe that the beverly hills wrestling team will be solid this year they have returning place winneras in varius tournies.Nelson Washburn A.Ferguson D.Ferguson Thompson are all returning wrestlers that placed in tournies either in open or during the season this year.Potential place winners this year are Dixon Wyrick and many more. We will come out ready to go. Our first tournament it the Cammack invitational and all the wrestlers named lan to place and the team plans to bring home a place in the top 4 if not a 1st place trophy. GO BHMS.

November 17, 2000
comments: to Courious- You wanted to know about top contenders for 125. Keep an eye on Justin Jones-Musselman and Steve Reynolds-Jefferson fron Eastern WV. Both have solid backgrounds in youth and should do great this season. Good Luck to all of the Eastern Panhandle teams this year don't let'em forget about us way over here.

November 17, 2000
comments: I saw in Wednesday's Charleston Gazette that new WVU recruit Greg Jones was named EWL's wrestler of the week for going 5-0 at the WVU Open and winning the 174 lb class. He is the younger brother of 2X NCAA All American Vertus Jones. WHEN will the WVU Sports Info Dept. put the results up on its website???

November 16, 2000
comments: Does anyone know if Hurrican High School will have a team this year? Just wondering.
Editor's note: Yes, got some info on this today...

November 16, 2000
From the Editor:
Someone asked me to pose this question, so here goes:
How much support would there be for a true sanctioned Jr High and/or Middle School State Championship tournament? What would be the pros? What would be the cons?

comments: There has been for several years a State Championships for Jr High and Middle schools. Although it isn't sanctioned it is run through ages from 6 and under to 15. It has been held in Parkersburg. It is a shame that other places hold tournaments that same day such as Oak Glen and a few others. It is run in two days and has some great wrestling. There is also another State Championship tournament that is run in Clarksburg. It actually is a split from the Parkersburg tournament. It is run very well also. This tournament had the right idea moving from one area to another like the High School State Tournament is run. Although it is a great tournament it does have some problems .When it was moved to another area the people running the tournament wanted to run it to please themselves instead of having the kids and the State Tournament's best interest in mind. The only way is for all of us get togeather and have one tournament on a selected weekend and all the other tournaments be forgotten about. To have a true Junior High or Middle School state tournament it would have to not be sanctioned because some areas in the state require the kids be bussed to and from the tournament and that can't happen since some of our schools are in poor financial shape. Unless we can get togeather and some people give a little a true Junior High and Middle School State Wrestling Tournament won't happen. Also Wood County is one until last year wasnt allowed to wrestle outside of the county thanks to our some are principals that vote not for the best interest of the kids but themselves. I will close with this note: Do you think that the principals are just allowed outside of the county just once? How could they spend our good bond levy money eating and enjoying themselves just once!!!!!
Editor's note: Under ordinary circumstances, I would delete some of the criticisms directed toward other tournaments. However, the issue with the "State Youth Wrestling Championship Tournament" has been kicking around for years. I attented a meeting of youth coaches on this subject several years ago before the Clarksburg tournament was organized and, to say the least, there didn't seem to be much agreement on some of the issues. Some charges have been leveled here, and to be fair, opposing viewpoints will be considered... (And I'm sure in a few days I'll regret getting in to this discussion. Sigh).

comments: Hey I think that a true State tourney would be a wonderful idea! I was recently talking to my brother ( who is attending WVU right now and was an outstanding HS wrestler ) recently about this and we decided that it would help out not only Jr. High wrestling but wrestling period. It gives Jr. High kids like the Camerons Manningtons etc that only have their weak Mason Dixon conference tourney to look forward to something better to work for. I would have loved to have wrestled in an actual Jr. High States...although the cost would be high it would be a great promotion for WV wrestling and would help in many ways. Thanks I'm out

comments: The kids at that level need to worry about learning wrestling not winning the state championship. Come on who would that state championship really be for! I know (Mom and Dad)BAD IDEA!. Leave things alone.

I think that it would be great to have a Jr.High/Middle School State I mean a real one. Not this stuff like the WSAZ. The pros... I would have to say would be more competition a look ahead at your challenges when at the high school level. Also would have to be more experiance with people out of your county. Cons...the fact of actually getting a JH/MS State and the grade level which is a problem at the high school level too. Some ninth graders don't get to wrestle the high school States b/c of them being schooled in a Jr. High. Therfore I think that even if you are being schooled in the JH you should get to wrestle HS states if in the ninth grade. Some schools such as South and PHS don't get to have 4 time state champions b/c of that that being caused b/c lack of room in the high school for ninth graders. How we get rid of this problem your guess is as good as mine. To every wreslter Today is the first official day of practice. For four schools the first match is only 18 days away. Shed the tears or the weight or gain if you need to good luck at your first match try to become the best. Special shout out to South. Good luck this year guys hope you have a great season and win another State chapionship I know you can do it.

comments: What are you thinking? This would hurt the sport in more ways than help! It would not give a wrestler who won the states at the Jr. High level anything to work for in High school. The pressure is hard enough on the high school kids much less the Jr. High kids. The kids on that level would try to loose more weight and that is not what the sport needs at that level only experience and exposure to the mat. Please lets not put a star on a 7th or 8th grader. There is plenty of time to win the states in high school.

comments: In response to the editor's question about a sanctioned middle school/ jr. high state championship. In my opinion it should NEVER happen UNTIL the whole state is either middle school or Jr. High. As a middle school coach my kids have to face ninth graders who wrestle high school kids in practice all week. You are only as good as your practice partners. Imagine how much a good 9th grader can gain by drilling with an experienced senior. Also there is usually a vast difference in facilities etc. Now that we have added 6th graders this further complicates the problem. I can't see how we could ever do it unless things are equal all over the state. Pity poor Kanawha County that has part of their schools as middle schools and part as Jr. Highs. I have heard from a Kanawha Valley coach that their county BOE recently ruled that their 6th AND 7th graders can no longer compete against 9th grade teams. Wouldn't that but a crimp in your scheduling? Such an event would be great but would really only be a test of the best JR. Highs and Freshman teams as the only way middle schools could catch up is with the usual forfeits in the smaller weight classes from the 9th grade teams. In short the deck would be stacked against the middle schools. The WSAZ is about as good as we can get with separate divsions for middle Jr. High and Freshman teams. Last year there were over 40 teams in those divisions and if you count "B" teams there were over 70! That's plenty large enough for me!

comments: In response to a Jr. High state I think it would be great. For one it would prepare the athlete mentally for the high school states. Secondly it would give the athlete something to work for. I tell my kids to set a realistic goal each season and to do their best to achieve that goal. Third to the statement that their kids arent prepared to wrestle ninth graders then get them ready if you looked in the past several years there has been many sixth graders that would dominate any ninth grader. Wake up West Virginia if you want this sport to grow nationally you have to put in the extra effort. If your there for a past time and dont want to make the sport grow then maybe its time to step down. I think a Jr. High state would be excellent for the individuals who walk the extra mile. As for a team status I dont think it would help. Also in my opinion(maybe even the state) i dont think a ninth grader who practices with high school kids ought to be able to wrestle Jr.High.

email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: For the record Dr. Miller does an excellent job with this web site. I appreciate his initiative and his desire to recognize the student-athlete and not just the athlete. As to the question concerning a Middle School/Junior High State Tournament I feel that we as Middle School/ Junior High Coaches have more important issues to deal with before the spring WVSSAC meeting. Do we continue with allowing 6th graders to wrestle do we contine with the weight class change will our middle schools change the years of athletic eligibility to three years and not two years as it now stands and will we (middle school and junior high coaches) get our representation on the wrestling board? If we get the answers to all of these questions then let us think about having a middle school/junior high state tournament. Right now after Day 3 of practice I'm more worried about how my 80 lb. 6th grader is going to deal with wrestling an 80 lb. 9th grader. Let's resolve these issues before we even think about a middle school/ junior high state tournament.

November 16, 2000
comments: to woever asked about the contenders at 119.....here are just some;justin stanley-cm chantz griffith-jhs adam kennedy-wp matt wilson-nm ryan metz-ps

November 16, 2000
comments: Wondering who to watch out for at 135 this year and who was anything in a past year?

November 16, 2000
comments: I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to everyone from the Cameron Dragons wrestling team! GO DRAGONS!!! #1!

November 16, 2000
comments: greenbrier west will have a very powerful 119 this year alex morrello who wrestled 130 last season is gonna be tough to hold down look out!

November 16, 2000
email: to wvwatcher
comments: At what weight did you win the OVAC and Brooke Classic at?

November 15, 2000
comments: To Hedgesville Fan: My but you sure had a lot to say today. and you used so many words to really say so little. One of the few things you made very clear and i quote.." I personally don't like parkersburg teams of any year". Now tell me....How can a person with an attitude like your's ever be objective???? You know...you are kind of telling on yourself. what you are saying is you really don't care for the wrestlers the coaches the fans or anything else about Parkersburg. I hate to get personal but were you abused as a child or what?? Why is it that everyone wants to be successful but there are always those who can't deal with it when they are not the one that is being successful...... GROW UP.....GET A LIFE..... AND GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR TO THE HEDGESVILLE WRESTLERS.

November 15, 2000
comments: Well the season has started and everyone is getting pumped for this wrestling season. I will be there supported the team for most matches so GOOD LUCK!!! and remember "You can do all things through him who strenthens you" Philipians 4:13.

November 15, 2000
comments: All I have to say is GO SOUTH!!!! You can do it just like last year keep up the Good work. GOOD LUCK!!!!

November 15, 2000
comments: to hedgesvillefanm:You must be quite a judge of wrestling bashing the South wrestlers who showed up at Buckhannon a couple weeks ago!First of all not all our wrestlers showed up and secondly they did show up!And..as far as having some holes in their lineup how would you know this? You will see first hand all the "holes"in Feb.You all dug at last year's team and they were not too bad were they? So before you trash the kids for making an effort in a pre-season tourney maybe you should worry about your own team and South will worry about filling all the "holes"on theirs! Commenting about everyone going against South or ganging up on South or whatever is real classy!These are just kids and deserve a little better.

November 15, 2000
email: wrestlinghhs@yahoo.com
comments: i'd like to take a moment to rember those 75 people who perished in the marshall plane crash 30 years ago today 11-14-74. one of those who perished was huntington east high school's first state wrestling champion mike blake.

November 15, 2000
comments: Would anyone happen to know who the 119 lb AAA contenders are?

yeah if anyone knows any good wrestlers around 112 119 or 125 please post it
thanx

November 15, 2000
comments: Does anyone know where Bosely PSHS Stevens PHS Kinsley UNV and Johnson Nwil be at weight wise this season?

November 15, 2000
comments: to whoever answered wanderings question about whos wrestling at 119 125 and 130 they have no idea. Chantz Griffith will be wrestling 119 Stevie Reynolds will be at 125 and Justin hawes will be at 130. The other wrestlers might make the JV team.

November 15, 2000
comments: Was the Jefferson Open Tournament this past weekend??? If it is does anyone have results?

November 15, 2000
comments: To: A Fan
I am familiar with the wrestler you discussed and I was at the tournament you made reference to. I have wrestled (this dude) many times and every single time he has tried or used that front choke-cement mixer or choke mixer depending on your terminology. What gets me the most is that the refs never call him for it and actually give him a scream rule point. Coaches arent to blame I know several of them personally and they wouldn't encourage this type of behavior. As a final point I don't believe it is necessary for him to use this move he is a great technical wrestler he shouldn't have to rely on these tactics

November 15, 2000
comments: last year noechel cut weight from 180 down to 160 so he could wrestle varsity. this yera he is up to about 205 and will be east's 215. miller is staying at 171 and sternthal is at 189 again. the heavyweight will be either satterfield who weighs about 215 or hostutler who is at 265 right now.

November 15, 2000
email: wrestlefanm1@yahoo.com
comments: First like to say good job to brian moats dustin bowers joey mayle and jason seville who all competed in this past weekends wvu open. All of these men fought hard and gave a good showing of themselves. For moats bowers and mayle it was their first taste of college action but they did fine. For those wrestlers in the state that didn't attend you missed a great opportunity to put your skills on display against very good college competition and some of the best high schoolers in the nation as well. Like to wish good luck on the coming season to iron eagles everywhere VA MD WV. Also congratulations to Cal Lesnoff Chantz Griffith and Tim Lebeck who competed and placed at the Buckhanon tournament.

As for comments on here about the rest of the iron eagles not showing at Buckhanon. Injuries and work schedules conflicted with that. Moats was given a choice by his employer between buckhanon or wvu open and he made the right choice in my opinion. Also the last thing I saw on this forum before that tournament was that the people running the tournament hadn't heard from parkersburg south and hadn't received any entries from you. Would have been nice if you would have let people know you were coming. Might not have made alot of difference in our turnout but who knows.

Anyway as per my comments about meeting people anywhere I wasn't bragging and I don't recall saying we would beat parkersburg south. In fact my comments were similar but toned down from earlier comments parkersburg put on here. Look back through the forums there was a comment on here from ps about each wrestler they had returning and there accomplishments. I did the same without bragging. Anyway I also find it amusing all the hype about Parkersburg South being so great this year and someone even said nationally ranked. Not if Buckhanon was the best you have. I saw a number of your wrestlers go down to people who didn't even place last year in states.

Note to all the teams out there go after Parkersburg South ... They do have some good wrestlers and decent balance but they also have some major holes in their lineup. I'm not saying we can beat them but I also don't believe they are unbeatable.

And as for this being the best parkersburg south team ever that's pretty disrespectful to the teams you have had. I saw the team that had Hasse on it that was being talked about on the forum. After watching at Buckhanon this years team is nowhere close. I personally don't like parkersburg teams of any year but again this team is nowhere near to being the best ever .

Also can someone explain to me the rule about a high school teams coach not being allowed in a gym during an offseason tournament with his team. I had it explained to me awhile back by a coach up here but I would like to here the official rules. I was told a coach can not be in the same gym with his team coaching them out of season.

Also anyone have the results of the JJWA preseason tourn.

Also as for our lineup there will probably be some changes and some missing faces at the beginning of the season due to injury but luckily no one has to have surgery yet. knock on wood.

November 15, 2000
comments: Why are we losing officals?
1. is there a glass ceiling dont we see the same group year after year why?
2. why arent the highest rated officals equal number from each region used?
3. why do we use out of state officals? (i can just see ohio or pa using wv officals)
4. doesnt it seem the majority are from areas where pressure and competition is not what we see at states?
5. why should our younger or older officals stay on when they dont have a chance to do states?

Catching heat from crowd would be last reason a real offical would use to leave sport. Notice how the better officals dont catch much heat. Notice how in controversial calls at states all the officals shake their heads in agreement whether they seen the call or not.(watch this year)

Start giving ratings more weight in assignment to states weight the number of officals from each region to the number of boys placing in top 3 at states from each region the year before.

We will continue to lose our younger (more energy) and older officals who dont get picked (with higher ratings) unless things change.
offical

November 15, 2000
comments: to wrassler:
in response to your opinion that the Brooke Classic is tougher than the OVAC. i must once again state that the OVAC is the toughest tournament in the state of West Virginia. i have also wrestled in both tournaments and have one them both. This is why i know that the OVAC was a much tougher row to hoe. While the Brooke Classic is a tough tournament I have witnessed many wrestlers breeze through a weight class that is lacking talent. On the other hand I have never witnessed anything short of a spectacular wrestler breeze his way through the OVAC tournament. The number of schools involved the number of days the tournament runs and quality teams entered are just a few reasons why the OVAC is still the toughest tournament in WV.

November 15, 2000
comments: to yahoo wrestling you need to rethink your list you seemed to have forgot East side

November 15, 2000
comments: TAKE THIS AS FAIR WARNING THE MUSSELMAN WRESTLING TEAM IS GONNA BE SOLID THIS YEAR.

November 15, 2000
comments: Does anyone have any pre-season predictions they want to make? This year the talent level is spread so equally throughout the state I think it would be interesting to see what some of you thought.Good luck to all the wrestlers across the state that just started their season. M.O.V. Chris Daggett or Nathan Pickens

November 15, 2000
comments: Can anyone submit WVU Open results? Thanks.
Check the WVU page. A few results have been dug up.

November 15, 2000
comments: I don't understand why a school would complain about NOT having freshmen on a high school team. When I was in ninth grade I had to wrestle high school. It was hard to do as a freshman. I experianced little success and endured alot of physical abuse because I was the only freshman on the team. The most aggrivating aspect was that people my age from a neighboring school had so much success in Jr.High. I don't suppose it would be that bad for a lighter individual but it's kind of hard when you're heavier. It is beneficial to some schools. But realisticly I don't believe that it would make a big difference for South few freshmen would start anyway.
Thanks

November 15, 2000
comments: to fan: I belive I know which tournament you are talking about with the bad sportsmanship. It is a shame that one bad wrestler can spoil the image for an entire team or area for that matter. Because this poor sportsmanship came from only one wrestler. I was at the same open tournament this past weekend and saw the actions of this High School Wrestler. I have also heard comments about his blatent use of what is called a blood choke.Pressure is placed on either side of the neck to cut off blood to the brain. In a matter of seconds your oppoent will pass out. The airway is not blocked off so the person can still breath. A ref checking for a choke will not see what is really happening until it is too late. The bad part about this is it can and has caused strokes when applied in martial arts if not released in time. This same wrestler has used this move that I have seen it several times.IT IS ILLEGAL IN WRESTLING.Refs you need to be aware that someone is showing this to some WV wrestlers and stop it before we have a major problem! I only hope this type of action is stopped before my child gets to High School or he will not wrestle in a WV high school.

November 14, 2000
comments: I guess no one had a response about the officials leaving the sport. Does anyone really care? I bet you will when the first call is made that you think is bad. Wake up fellow mat friends talk about what we are going to do to help.

November 14, 2000
comments: Watch out WV...There is a new Delligatti in town...and his name is Matt..and he is going to make some noise....

November 14, 2000
comments: A tournament was held this past weekend. What gets me is the total lack of sportamanship buy wrestlers from that very school. I'm not going to embarress this wrestler by giving their name but I have never seen a more disrespectful wrestler. After each period he shoves his oppoent off of him even if the is in control. His oppoent recieved a point for one of these displays. He used illegal choke holds to try to force his oppont to black out (I have seen him do this on several diffrent occasions). And even after he has won his match he refused to shake the other coaches hand simply waving it off when told to do so. I know for the last few weeks everyone has talking about how this team is so much better than that team this year but this type of display is not neede in our sport. I am not the only person who saw this or made a comment about this. I don't care how "good" a so called wrestler is supposed to be it is up to the coaches of these teams to stop this type of action and remove them from the if it doesn't stop. But it seams like this type of action is encouraged from this High School Team all the way back to the youth league in the area. I'm sorry to say the meaning of the word sportsmanship doesn't mean anything to some people.

November 14, 2000
comments: Hows it going I was wandering if you had a schedule for Beckley-Stratton this year?Also I know Tyler Wilson Sean Meade Jay Thomas Joe McQuillen and Zack Evans return this year is there any others that you know of coming in that is going to help this good Beckley-Stratton team this year?Good Luck Bulldogs!

November 14, 2000
comments: would someone please clerify the situation with all the east fairmont upper weights? I don't see how noachel could have gained all that weight in one year.Good luck to all the wrestlers across the state in the upcoming matches.

November 14, 2000
comments: My Top 10 AAA
1.Parkersburg South
2.Hedgesville
3.Nitro
4.Parkersburg
5.Huntington
6.Fairmont Senior
7.University
8.Wheeling Park
9.John Marshall
10. Point Pleasant

November 14, 2000
comments: greetings from florida *ok no election jokes*l*
just wanted to wish the guys from huntington high good luck on what should be a good season.

November 14, 2000
comments: Dear Editor: WOW..what a great place to advance your knowledge! You do a great job on this sight and you certainly are to be commended.Thank You!I just noticed all the young atheletes and support staff that were academic all state or honor roll students for 2000.To me this is far more important than any wrestling match and will carry them thru life much farther.For an athelete to make sacrifices both in practice and at each event and still shine in the classroom is exceptional !!

November 14, 2000
comments: Panhandle Parent: Your opinion is so noted and if I may comment on a couple of things.First of all South was already committed to the Virginia Duals in Virginia the week of the Winners Choice.The competition is great at both events and if you think South is dodging anyone...well we both know better than that.I think the real "Star Wars" will take place in Huntington WV in latter Feb. and we will see then who is the best team in the state but not until then!You can wrestle all the duals and tourneys for preparartion for the main event when they pass the trophy to the best team.It should be an interesting season and I wish you the best.

November 14, 2000
comments: UHS fan: They didn't combine any schools to make South or PHS they divided PHS into 2 schools! As for dominating sports Marion county high would face a stiff challenge from a Wood county high school or how about a Kanawha county high in Charleston for sports?!?!

November 14, 2000
comments: To wandering: Don't have any idea who will be wrestling at 119 125 and 130 at Jefferson. But I've heard that Steve Reynolds (113-4 career jr. high) now weighs about 130. Also former All-American Danny Schneider (22-5 with a fractured arm) Travis Nutter 33-8 Kevin Stottlemeyer 23-6 and Brian Lueters (31-10) are all in those weight range. All these kids are rising sophomores from Harpers Ferry but that doesn't take into account kids coming over from other feeder schools plus the returning veterens at Jefferson High. Maybe none of the Harpers Ferry boys will start who knows? But I do know that Jefferson returns an awfully lot of good wrestlers (including several serious state contenders) and has added lots of very talented kids from different feeder programs. I think they might be the surprise team this year.

November 14, 2000
comments: i agree that wood county would be an awesome all star team...but it is unrealistic PHS and PSHS are 2 of the largest highschools in the state...and wiliamstown isn't small but marion county could be a reality size wise...doubtful but something to think about

November 14, 2000
comments: just wanted to say good luck to ALL the wrestlers in the state. the talk and bragging is over and it's time to let the young men (and ladies) get ready for the upcoming season. there are many fine wrestlers in the state and this season will be a great one for many teams. only a handful of wrestlers will get to wear the crown of state champion at the end of the year but it does not take away from all the hard work and dedication that is put in by all. even the wrestler who only wins a match or two deserves the respect of the fans and their peers for the long hours sweat and blood that goes into representing their school with pride. its time for the parents and fans to set back and let these fine athletes shine in the upcoming months up to and including the state tournament. wrestle hard and wresle clean win with class and lose with dignity but always hold your head up with pride because you are doing what only a few athletes do and that is wrestle. good luck to south wrestlers this season keep up the hard work and here's wishing you

November 14, 2000
comments: Huntington will place high in the state this year so be ready . South!

November 14, 2000
comments: The amount of students at north marion east fairmont and west fairmont still dont add up to the # of students at many of the most populated schools such as parkersburg south.

November 14, 2000
comments: How people were talking about the Brooke Classic and the OVAC well i mysef wrestle in both of the tournaments and i would have to say that the Brooke Classic is definetly tougher tahn OVAC. Only thing that seperates them is that OVAC has more wrestlers in the weights but Brooke has more high caliber wrestlers. Just my opinion

November 14, 2000
comments: I would like complete results from the West Virginia Open if that is possible. Thank You
Editor's note: Sorry, I don't have them. Will post if/when I get them.

November 12, 2000
email: bsmontgomery@rtol.net
comments: Tomorrow's the first day of practice and we at Braxton County Middle School are looking forward to a great season. We've worked on our practice schedule so we can have time to teach fundamentals to our sixth and seventh graders as well as spend quality time with our experienced wrestlers. I attended my rules clinic and was met at the door by Dr. Bill Welker and Jerry Trembush. They wanted to assure me that they understood our concerns with the weight class change and our need for a middle school/junior high representative on the wrestling board. I have the utmost respect for these two individuals and I'm sure they will help us follow through with changes that need to be made in the spring. Coaches remind your principals that all changes ultimately are made by them. If we continue to have sixth graders participating in wrestling the eligibility rule for middle school participation needs to be changed to three years eligibility instead of two. That should be done at the spring principal's meeting. Have a great season!

November 12, 2000
comments: I was wondering when you guys are coming out with the new polls for this year?
Editor's note: The coaches polls usually don't come out until January. There will probably be some fan polls prior to that. Phanatik has establishd an excellent record in this regard. Unlike the polling practices related to the recent Presidential election, the coaches involved in the Coaches poll seem to have this curious habit of waiting to see what is happening on the mat prior to making any predictions. (smile).

November 12, 2000
comments: Forum Comments: Good comments...bad comments...but all true..yes true. My favorite team can have a very special year...If JEALOUSY does not infect the parents and some athletes....... Mommies and Daddies need to stay quiet and be supportive of every athlete.... Also Mommies and Daddies need to shut up and let the coaches coach....keep your non-expert opinions to yourself and keep them quiet from your kids. When a parent questions a coach in front of a student-athlete it makes the athlete question the coach. So just be a cheerleader....please...for the sake of the team. Posted by...not a parent...just a fan... Good luck to all the brothers on the team. And in regards to loveswrestling...that was a nice cheap shot on ...Whats your problem??

November 12, 2000
comments: I was looking at the updated team pages and the schedule for Parkersburg South is for last year. Just thought I'd mention it in case it was an oversight.
Editor's note: The schedule which is posted now is correct. Coach McCartney tells me that the dual at Cannon Mac on Dec 2 has been cancelled this year because of scheduling conflicts at CM.

November 12, 2000
comments: If the polar bear fan is correct and East Fairmont has 2 good wrestlers at 215 What is the problem with that? Most good programs have several good wrestlers at each weight. It's a long season flexability is needed. Illness injury and whatever can take its toll. Both kids and the team will benefit from such a "problem". As a coach I'd love to have all my weight classes have a similar "problem". Have a great season the fun starts on Monday!!!

November 12, 2000
comments: First an all-Marion county all star team would not only be the best in WV but maybe among the very best in the country. I say this without favortism as I pull for UHS in Mon Co. I've seen enough of EFSH FSH and NMHS to know how competitive they are. If they combined those HS the way they combined schools into PSH or Parkersburg High - look out. It could get ugly with Marion county dominating most sports.

Second I like the trash talking. Face it Parkersburg South are the NY Yankees of WV HS wrestling and 9 times out of 10 they back it up. But the one time they don't - look out. We'll all be piling on.

As for WV OW award we don't have Regalbutto for a prohibitive favorite; however you have to give Miller from EFSH his due. He's so smooth and polished. I look forward to seeing which Division I program gets him. Speaking of Regalbutto you know he lost in the HS national tournament to a guy named Jesse Jantzen from NY 9-0. Jantzen was the #1 HS wrestler last year. You'll never guess where Jantzen ended up going to college - Harvard. Check it out he's on their roster. Now there is a guy who is going to cash in on his wrestling skills!

Bottom line - work hard but work hard in school too. You never know if you can apply your talent to a heck of a good academic program and really help yourself in the future. I wonder how Duke University will do this year in wrestling? They stink that's what but who in WV wouldn't accept a scholarship there? A Duke degree will get you places. Think about that.

November 12, 2000
comments: Does anyone know who will be wrestling at 119 125 and 130 for Jefferson High School?

November 12, 2000
comments: To the person who said for us to be thankful there is no Marion county team...how about Williamstown South and Parkersburg together to form a Wood county team ! Would be a fun match huh?

November 12, 2000
comments: Just wanted to say "good luck" to the Blennerhassett Jr High Team of 2000-2001. Stay true to the sport and to yourself and you will always come off the mat as a WINNER!

November 12, 2000
email: Basford2@hotmail.com
comments: I really do not understand all this talk about Oak Glen going up to AAA. Why should a school move up when they are just walking through competition anyway. Less people more talent! It is as simple as that. Coach Shaw is a very good coach and he has wrestlers that want to continue what has become a winning tradition. What is to say about single A Cameron and Wirt County then? I mean they produce a lot of talent out of such a small school. I mean places like that everyone knows everyone either way. They are always a top five team year in year out. Should they be a AAA school? Oak Glen is a definate AAA level team but in no way are they a AAA school. Get over it...

November 12, 2000
comments: To: South Wrestling Fan......your comments about this being an informative place are true. We all have learned very much every year from being on here and are kept very informed. And yes in my opinion the editor does a great job and blows all other wrestling websites out of the water. But......this is a Forum.....that is.... a place where "views" are also expressed. No matter how biased they may be. It is the very thing that makes this country great...freedom of speech. Remember that this is wrestling....a very physical and emotional sport where strength and endurance are only as good as one's own self esteem. Cockiness is not new to the sport.....and will continue to live in some if not most wrestlers. Some just let it out verbally...and others do it on the mat. The fans of this sport are usually parents who 99% of the time were former wrestlers or involved at one way or the other in the sport. They love it. Should we expect them to be any less enthusiastic on here about it. Remember all....this is wrestling.....not golf at the Yorkshire Country Club where nary a brittle word be spoke thus your green jacket will be taken from you. Nor is this figure skating where grace and poise must be maintained at all times. Let the naysayers have their boasting for now...for it is when they fall that we shall have our loudest moment......Lord Vader....why have you refused to go to the Winner's Choice......is it because you really believe the force is not with you this year? Young Skywalker waits for his turn in the midst of it all.......maybe denied a chance there......you can run but you can not hide.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page