West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- November 1997 Forum (Part Two)

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

November 16, 1997
comments: In response to Mr. Berry's question about a summer freestyle team.......the sooner we get to work on a freestyle/greco team, the better! My candidate for the coaching spot is Mike Mason, senior at WVU and NCAA All-American. I spent some of my summer training at WVU with Mike, and I learned a lot. Mike was Espoir National Champion, and was a Junior National All-American. He mentioned (that it would be ideal) if WV wrestlers came forward, showing their dedication to learn freestyle. Personally, I know that freestyle and greco wrestling drastically improves folkstyle wrestling. There are many competitive tournaments throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania during the summer. The Junior Nationals in Fargo, North Dakota is the main spotlight for college-bound wrestlers. Many people don't participate in freestyle because they are either scared to learn, or they feel that the new styles are not important. If this is the case, then why is the Olympics strictly freestyle or greco? Freestyle is not hard to learn, and the benefits from it are rewarding.

November 16, 1997
comments: Well folks, looks like another wrestling season is upon us tomorrow. The fun in the sun is over and it is time to buckle down and get to work. Good luck to all and may all be free of injuries

November 16, 1997
email: [cut]
comments: What has gone wrong with [cut], What would every persuade this [cut] body to instill someone as unqualified as [cut] as [cut] of [cut]. This truly a dark moment in the history of WV wrestling, a true day of mournig for [cut] and [cut] in the [cut] in [cut].
My Sincere Condolnances to All Those Affected
[cut].
Editors note: This would be a good time to remind our readers that "Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted." Perhaps the above poster does feel better, having had a chance to ventilate. [smile]

November 16, 1997
comments: In response to EBerry, made reference to Matt in an earlier post and I agree that he will be a force to be reckoned with. I don't feel he is unbeatable. On any given day ... anything can happen. I saw Jared Walters (CM) take him to double overtime and lose on a VERY questionable call on his home mat a couple of years ago. He is an excellent talent and will make his mark this year. In regard to my statement about Parks and Rec. My apologies, I was basing this assumption on the fact that when one enters JR. States they make out their check to Wood Co. Park and Rec. No offense intended. Your Pee Wee programs are a benchmark for others to emulate. In response to Buffalo Bill Cody. No one can question the success of HHS in the past or that Coach Archer produced a lot of champions. The circle and stall was a reference to regionals in 1996 when at least two HHS wrestlers were DQ'd (that's right DQ'd) for repeatedly stalling and avoiding contact. Also to make the blanket statement that superior coaching can turn any athlete into a state champ is ludicrous. Great coaches make great athletes but . . . great athletes are what make great coaches look great. Following your theory a great coach could take any 14 guys and sweep every weight class at states. As far as I know that has never happened. Perhaps the great Buffalo Bill had best pull in his reins as he rides off!

November 16, 1997
comments: I think that people should "not circle and stall". It is a cheap way of winning matches. A match lasts for 6 minutes and it should be wrestled for 6 minutes. Anyone can score a takedown and stall for five and a half minutes. The only people who use this "circle and stall" method are not in shape or they would not use this method. They should just work a little harder in practice so they could wrestle 6 minutes .

November 16, 1997
comments: Great Web site! I enjoy all the wrestling chatter. I have seen J. Ward in Columbus at 152 lbs. pound everyone. One month later, in Cincinnati freestyle/greco he was running to make 165 lbs. and he tech. falled all his matches. He was at 165 in August out in Fargo, N.D. Last weekend in Urbana I trained with him. Don't look for him below 152 lbs! Good Luck Jas! P.S. See ya tomorrow.

November 16, 1997

comments: For a message to Parkersburg South fan. Milton and Barboursville has had state champions. Bane McCracken, Rick Braggs 2x. Mike Kirly 2x. Doug Stevens, Chris Garious, Mike Ball, R.W. White. A little research helps before talk. CMHS might not have any yet, but how long has CMHS been established? But that was the past anyways, the future is yet to come.

November 16, 1997
email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: Who would ever make a preseason prediction in A-AA and leave Williamstown out? Speaking of Williamstown, Former state champion,West Liberty standout, and coach at St.Marys John Fincham is now coaching at Turner Ashby High School in Harrisonburg, Va...our loss, their gain!! Good luck John!!

November 16, 1997

email: Berry@citynet.net
comments: Amid all the bantering between HHS, Cabell Midland, and Parkersburg South, everyone has omitted a contender for a state championship in their predictions...have any of you heard of Matt George, from Parkersburg? Write it down...some of you picked Newberry from PHS to win 130...that could happen, unless George decides to wrestle 130. Matt will beat anyone you folks predicted to win state titles from 125-135, depending on where he ends up...Matt is yet another product of the Parkersburg Cougar Wrestling Program, who under the direction of Michael Litton is the most succesful youth program over the last 20 years in the state. As for the comment that the Wood County Rec supports their youth wrestling, the Cougars and Patriots are self supporting and receive no help from the county. In regards to the crying about circling and stalling, until rules are changed or existing rules are enforced that prevent such tactics, that will always be a tactical way to "hold on" and win a match. This is one reason why wrestling is not embraced as much as other sports are by spectators. Besides, research has shown that the loudest protests for stalling tend to come from the corner who has the least amount of points at the end of a match....

As for rule changes, I wish that takedowns were awarded to the agressor instead of to the counter wrestler...for instance, a leg attack could be awarded as two points and a counter to the leg attack (short drag, spin behind, etc.) would be awarded as 1 point...

FRESHMAN WRESTLING SENIORS...didn't the author of the original protest proclaim that freshman need to get experience?...isn't an occasional loss a great way to get experience? Now...the measure of the man is to see what he does with that "experience"...Another factor about dropping weight (Lemaster, Cameron) is that it could help your team in the standings....Is it too early to talk about a WV freestyle team for the summer? Who would coach?

November 14, 1997
comments: About the comment on Nov 9th using the "circle and stall" -- well I guess that is why our guys have done so well in college! Man I'm sure Ken Chertow stalled his was to being a 4x National Qualifier and 3x All-American, and 1988 U.S. olympian, too many accomplishments to list including two WV OW awards. I'm sure Bobby Taylor stalled his way to two state titles and 3x all ACCc, and Bobby must teach his kids at Chapin High (SC) guys the "circle and stall" -- has won them 3 state titles, a runner up and third place finish in Bobby's five years as coach there. I'm sure that is why Ohio state gave Todd Chertow a scholarship after stalling to two state titles and High School All-American status. I'm sure Ohio State did the same to Rob Archer, after an OUTSTANDING high school carrer, 3 varsity letters 3 year starter in one of the toughest weight classes (126lbs) . I'm sure James Branch did that when he won states and his national championship. I could go on all day about this.

Coach Archer can take any wrestler that is willing to work at being a champion and help him reach that goal. I don't think anyone can match HHS's record on the next level and that is the bottom line!

This is "stone cold" cody riding off

November 14, 1997
comments: Man this forum is sure heating up. Have some packing to do for a big move. Hey mexicano, a fan was talking about us a couple of weeks ago.
OK my prdictions for the AAA individual finals:
103 Reed PP
112 Bonasso FS
119 Chirgwin HHS
125 Gorby NM
130 Thorpe HHS
135 Hedrick FS
140 Ward CM
145 Johnson PSHS
152 Besedich NM
160 Wilson JM
171 Nibert CM or Zombro Jefferson
189 Valleu Nitro
215 Zebur BU Or Blair HHS
275 Kerns EHS
Team Champion:Huntington
Outstanding Wrestler Adam Gorby North Marion 125 lbs

My opionion on the top 5 matches in the state tournament last year:
1. Craddock (Roane Co )decision Murell (HHS) 10-8 135lb final
2. Ward (CM) decision Ward (JM) 2-1 140lb semi final
3. Wilfong (FS) decision Wilson (JM) 3-2 160 lb final
4. Crouch (Hurricane) decision Gorby (NM) 9-8 119lb semi final (lucky win for Crouch)
5. Crabtree (HHS) decision Kulpa (WP) 11-7 hwt state championship
November 14, 1997
email: yostburncycle@yahoo.com
comments: I think there should be something about this University High program. They have a lot af talent on that team. They have a returning state place winner at the 215lb. weight class, Austin Weser, and 2 returning qualifiers who just happened to be freshmen last year. Kenny Griffen at 112 and Ryan Murphy at HWT. Something else is to be said -- that they went to Region 1 AAA. Even out-of-state wrestlers know it is by far and away the toughest region to compete in. Their new coach Ken Maisel deserves his share of praise as well. My prediction is to watch out for University High Wrestling this year. They are going to be real tough.

November 14, 1997
comments: Okay folks!! LOOK at this because this is the way it's going to be!!
103 Reed PP
112 Bonasso FS
119 Chirgwin HHS
125 Gorby NM
130 Newberry PHS
135 Craddock RHS
140 Ward CM
145 Johnson PSHS
152 Besedich NM
160 Wilson JM
171 Daggett PSHS
189 Sharp EHS
215 Weser UHS
275 Kerns EHS

November 14, 1997
comments: Someone asked about Ash Gandee and Adam Schindler. I know both of these boys as my son wrestled with on a team for coach Chertow's Olympian Pee Wee team. They are both very dedicated and skilled wrestlers. They frequently made the long commute a couple of times to practice at the wrestling school. I also know that they both did very well at AAU nationals and I think Tulsa Nationals. I have no idea what size they are now or even what grade they will be in but feel certain they will be contenders somewhere in the future if not now. They are both good technicians and great kids. If they are indeed high school age I wish them a lot of luck and hope they have a great season. They paid their dues and spent their mat time during their younger days. (Does this sound anything like my earlier post about strong Pee Wee programs???)
Practice starts on MONDAY - let's hook 'em up!

November 14, 1997
comments: Good Team Prediction Mat Man!

November 14, 1997
comments: Why is in not fair for a freshman to wrestle a senior? Is it fair for a fresman to play a senior in tennis or run against him in track? What is the big deal here? If the freshman is better than the senior than so be it, but seniors should not be stopped from wrestling at the lower weights just because they are seniors. On the comment about LeMaster. I believe he wrestled at 112 all year (I could be wrong) because he wrestled 112 at the Berkeley Springs Holiday Tournament back in mid-December.

November 14, 1997
comments: Dear Mexicano, I Have A Question For You! Home Grown Huh, So Tell Me A Little Something? Did Barborsville Or Midland Ever Had A State Champion That Has Ever Come Up Through The Cabell Co. School System?, Hold Up I'm Thinking, Pruett's were From Virginia, Ward Ohio I Know That The Fact That The Kids Move In,Because Their Dad Got Another Job. Come On Kids From Parkersburg Are Home Grown And So Are Our Their State Champions! And A Response To Lemaster, Yes We Do Have An Excellent Fan Support And Pee Wee Program, Thank You. And Good Luck Patriots, I Watched Jerry Mcgwire Yesterday, I Though Of You All When I Heard "Show Me The Money"
Go Patriots

November 14, 1997
comments: here is how the AAA individuals will go
103 Reed PP
112Shank P South
119Kotzen JM
125Fraizer CM
130Newberry
135Chaplin JM
140Craddock Roane
145Johnson P South
152Ward CM
160Wilson Jm
171Rickard PP
189Sharp Elkins
215Zeburh Buchannon
Hwt Kerns Elkins
State Champ P South
Runner-up JM
P.Ss. if you wondering who Chaplin is he is VERY tough and has beat Pat Morrison, and Leverrt and nearly beat Murrell last year

November 14, 1997
comments: I'm not complaining about seniors being in 103 or 112 because I beat all the seniors I faced in these weight classes. It's just not fair for the Freshman trying to get experience at the high school level to go out and wrestle a Senior. Most likely that senior isn't that good any ways.

November 14, 1997
comments: This is from the guy who wants an age limit on 103 and 112. Last year in the state tourn. Jason Hayhurst from Ritchie Co. lost to a senior. This wouldn't be bad if you knew the reasons behind it. LeMaster the 112 champ last year was wrestling at 119 but he lost to someone in that weight class badly so he moved down because he knew he wouldn't win the states. He is built like Arnold and could over power everyone in 112. That is the reason he won.

November 14, 1997
... (concerning) ... OUR TEAM AND HOW HALF OUR LINE UP IS OUT OF STATE. SINCE ONLY TWO OF OUR WRESTLERS ARE OUT OF STATE. ONE IS A SOPHOMORE WHO MOVED HERE FROM TEXAS IN 7TH GRADE, BECAUSE HIS DAD GOT TRANSFERRED. BUT WE PROBABLY WENT TO TEXAS TO RECRUIT HIM. THE OTHER CAME HIS FRESHMAN YEAR ON HIS OWN CHOICE. THE REST OF US ARE HOME GROWN BOYS, EXCEPT I WAS RECRUITED FROM MEXICO .......

November 13, 1997
comments: I don't think there should be an age limit for the lower weight classes for many reasons. First, wrestling is the only sport (that I know of) that caters to athletes of all sizes. If an age limit were to be imposed on the lower weight classes, it would rob the athletes who are too small to be competitive in any other sport. Secondly, so what if the wrestler has had more experience than another wrestler? I wrestled on varsity at 152 pounds my freshman year and I faced many seniors and juniors who opened up a can on me. I didn't whine or complain. I took it like a man and walked away with a great learning experiance. Lastly, not all wrestlers starve themselves. In fact, I believe very few of the truly dedicated wrestlers starve themselves. These wrestlelers stay in decent shape during the off season, so they don't have to come in to day one of practice having to lose 10-15 pounds.

November 13, 1997
comments: In response to the South Fan. I agree if South and the Big Reds consolidated it would work out just as you say. The point I meant to make was that the basis for a strong high school program must start with Middle or Jr. High school and hopefully Pee Wee. Why is Walsh Jesuit so good? One of the reasons is that Coach Barger works with the kids from an early age and expects them to wrestle 100+ tough matches a year. I know from experience how good the Pee Wee programs in Wood county are and they are supported by Parks and Rec. In Cabell Co. we have almost no Pee Wee program at all. (less than 15 total wrestlers) and receive no support from the county. This is not meant as an excuse! More power to you guys as this is whats makes your area such a wrestling hotbed. Your program is excellent and your fan support is unbelievable. Even in a school the size of Midland or HHS when your wrestlers have a 6-7 year experience advantage it is very dificult to compete. I wish we had the strong youth program that Wood Co. has.

From the voice of experience don't wish for your schools to consolidate. It rips the identity and heart of school spirit right out of a community. This takes a l-o-n-g time to rebuild to say nothing of the animosity between former rivals. Best of luck in the coming season. We are working hard to help close the gap. Don't look back, something may be gaining on ya!

November 13, 1997
comments: Does anyone Know of the 2 freshman from Ravenswood, Ashley Gandee and Adam Schindler. I've heard they are pretty tough. I've also heard that they are high contenders for a state championship. If anyone has some information on them put it in the forum.

November 13, 1997
email: LOGANG@OVNET>COM
comments: The big boy from OAK GLEN is back for sure and is looking for some competiton. Is there any one out there who thinks he can beat him.

November 13, 1997
comments: Mexicano, I Have Only One Thing To Say. If I Where Attending Cabell Midland I would Feel Like I Was In Hell. In Response To Lemaster:Yes We Have An Excellent Feeder Programns That Is Why We Contend Year In And Out. With All Of This Talk Of Consolidated High Schools, Midland/HHS -- Hey Here Is An Idea (Probaly Won't Happen Though!) Lets Consolidate Parkersburg South & Parkersburg And See If Anyone Down South Could Contend. Have Just A Trophy Case Made For The State Tiles We Would Win, Year In And Out.
Lets Go Patriots "Show Your Fans The Title Again!"

November 13, 1997
comments: Thank you Mat Wizzard. I agree with you 100%

November 12, 1997
comments: Here's the way I see the AA/A pre-season top ten:
1. Oak Glen - They won the state tournament last year handily and only one of their 13 qualifiers was a senior. Enough said.
2. Wirt County - Five undergrad state place winners last year, including champs Mike Miller, Jason Miller, and David Drennen. They will need to hustle (and catch a few breaks) to catch Oak Glen.
3. Ritchie County - The Rebels move up. Two runners up from last year (Toothman and Hayhurst) lost in the finals to seniors.
4. Calhoun - Lost 3 senior place winners, but Johnson and McCartney should score some points in the tournament.
5. Braxton - Solid program. Three undergrad state finalists from last year.
6 - 10. Winfield, Frankfort, Cameron, Liberty Raleigh, Iaeger - Take your pick.
Could be a down year dept: Berkeley Springs. Lost five outstanding seniors (Robinson, Unger, Hovermale, Miller, Waugh) and had no underclassmen place in the State Tourney last year. Don't count Coach Blankenship out, however.

November 12, 1997
From: Dan 125 m13 comments: In response to the WV wrestling enthusiast: You missed the whole freaking point. The post was not to bring a "debate" on about AAA- AA-A wrestling. The point I was trying to make was that sometimes it would be nice if some of the posts would signify that they are talking about AAA wrestling. All of these posts read as if AAA wrestling is the only division in the state.....

November 12, 1997
comments: I was woundering if anyone thinks that there should be an age limit on the lower weight classes. I don't think that it is fair that a senior starves himself down 103 or 112 to win a state Championship. If they want it bad enough they should work hard and be in a rightful weight class. Those weight classes are hard but they are usually Freshman and Sophmores. A senior with 3 years experience in a weight class shouldn't be allowed to wrestle there.

November 12, 1997
comments: Thanks someone for correcting me on Courtney. That's what I get for leaving the tournaments after I got beat. Anyway, in response to the AAA vs. AA-A debate. Get over it. I personally have no problem with AA-A fans posting issues pertinent to their respective division. But how can you expect me, who can't even keep up with which class a multiple state place winner was in, to learn the names of people in an entirely new division!? .....
A comment to the users of this page: I really enjoy this page, even though I have graduated I check the forum weekly. Keep the posts coming; and occasionally thank the operator for doing such a fine job. Wrestling does not have a page like this in most states, don't take it for granted. GO MIDLAND!

November 10, 1997
comments: I'M BACK. HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! I ONLY HAVE ONE THING TO SAY, THE KNIGHTS ARE COMING AND HELL IS COMING WITH THEM.

November 10, 1997
email: morris45@marshall.edu morris45@marshall.edu
comments: Recruit? In my seven years of association with Coach Sparks I have never heard an accusation of him slipping wrestlers money under the table. Cabell Midland is an honest program that merely attracts outside wrestlers by its great facilities and its ability to allow wrestlers to reach their highest potential. I realize Huntington has excellent facilities as well. Maybe, out-of-state wrestlers just want to wrestle where the great Pat Morrison once put on his head gear? That must be it. Seriously, the coaching staff creates an excellent environment for wrestling, and the idea Midland recruits is something I find personally insulting.
P.S. If anyone needs an autograph find me at P'South vs.Midland. Good luck Knights! This weekend in football as well.

November 10, 1997
comments: Looks like the forum is heating up! My comments regarding Coaching was to shed light not heat on the upcoming wresting battles in the state. I did not mean to denigrate Coach Sparks. I did not indicate Cabell Midland. He has built an very good program and has done an outstanding job at Cabell midland.

It is a true statement that it's only the wrestler on the mat that wins. No coach ever won a state championship "on the mat", but the remarks that Coaching makes no difference in wrestling is silly. Look at the programs that consistently produce state champions. Its not because of some genetic pool of talent. Its a combination of Coaching and a community that supports wrestling. The feeder programs to the high schools are important but we have all seen good jr high programs feed into high schools and the wrestlers seem to disappear. It make the coaches job easier to have a youth program and good feeder programs but its not the only way to success. It is a fun exercise to speculate on who will win the state. I think Coaching should be a factor in guessing who will be on top in the state.

I'm looking forward to the season. It will start off with a big match in this area. I'm certainly going to the Parkersburg South-Cabell Midland match on Dec 4. I'm sure both teams will be well coached.
TB

November 10, 1997
email: jkirby1@ix.netcom.com
comments: The Jefferson High Wrestling Boosters are holding a preseason tournament at Jefferson High School on Saturday Nov. 15,1997.

November 10, 1997
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
comments: In response to the South fan. As the coach one of the 2 feeder schools for Midland wrestling, I can assure you that they do not recruit their wrestlers. To my knowledge, only 3 wrestlers moved to Midland in the last five years. One was a non-factor and did not even qualify at regionals. He moved due to a change in family situation and only wrestled because there was no one else to fill his class. Another's family moved here when he was still in middle school and their dad was transferred. The third moved to Midland for both athletics and academics and is an honor student who could not get the classes he needed for his career choice at the very small school he would have attended in Ohio. Another point to make is Midland has only two feeder schools. I don't know about South, Wheeling Park, etc. but I know that HHS has FOUR middle school feeders to Midland's two. Also, as previously stated the PeeWee program in Wood county is outstanding. Down here in the southwestern part of the state we know we face an uphill battle to try to catch the northern schools and we work very hard at the middle school level mostly with guys who have never stepped on a mat until 7th grade. I also feel that Coach Sparks does an admirable job in conditioning his athletes. Now that everything about recruiting has been straightened out, let's see some more posts from other parts of the state? Where are you guys from up north and the panhandle? Let's keep the board filled! Best of luck to everyone ... but not too much!
Jim

November 10, 1997
comments: Season is not even started and look at the Forum! I think Parkersburg South will win the States yet again! It seems funny that the hype is Midland/HHS. I agree that Midland may be in better condition than HHS Wrestlers, but I see Midland brings in a lot of out state wrestlers to their lineup! And HHS does not -- explain that one. Do they recruit their wrestlers? It does not matter either way, because Parkersburg South is going to "Show Our Fans The Title Again!"

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated November 13, 1997