West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March, 1997 Forum

Weeks One and Two

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 14, 1997 -- from Dogs down South
It seems as if the Southern part of the state has been gaining on the northern teams in the past couple of years. Region 3 has been making great strides lately, and will soon be very competitive. There are a few teams in West Virginia that should stay in WV for competition. There are teams in WV that are using the "Ohio Factor". The "Ohio Factor" is the ideal of these people who believe that the competion they get in Ohio is far superior to the competion they can receive in this state. Who are these Ohio teams that are supposed to be so great? Because these WV wrestlers are coming into regional and state tournaments with "blown-up" records. Yet these same wrestlers are not good enough to be regional champions!?!?!? Someone clue us in?

March 14, 1997 -- from dogs up north
To Buffalo Bill Cody: Please place your bets on state champs next year. Individual and team. Who do you think we are? We left you a pretty good clue with the name. We've known each other for a while. You even pinned the best wrestler to come from our school. We've seen the tape. Enjoyed talking to you at the state tour. We think that they should bring back the Pony Express. Don't you? HAIL TO THE BIG DOGS. SEEYA LATER. WHO ARE WE?

March 12, 1997 -- from OG Fan
This does not have to be posted, but I love this page and congratulate everyone who makes it happen. The new Honor Roll page is a great idea and I applaud the effort of recognizing those wrestlers who work hard on the mat and in the class room.
A tremendous thanks!

March 12, 1997 -- from OG Fan
Larry Shaw did a great job with his young team. He only had one Senior. He had seven kids in the state tourney who were only Freshman and Sophomores. I think that deserves a lot of credit, whether or not he won the Outstanding Coach. Congratulations!

March 11, 1997 -- from Parkersburg South Fan
What a great 50th State Tournament! I have one question if anybody knows: I saw the material promoting his camps and saw him at the State Tournament, but why was Ken Chertow not in the past Parade of Champions? It would have been great to see him there ......

March 11, 1997 -- from Basford 145
This year was going great, and then came report cards. I was ranked third in the state in a paper I read. I let a lot of people down, because I didn't make the grades. I'd like to stress to wrestlers that it doesn't matter how good you are you until you make grades...

March 11, 1997 -- from "Michael K, Cockrell" <72247.2465@compuserve.com>
I am a current junior at Grafton High School, and my season ended up as a very BIG disappointment because of my grades. I was reading the forum, and JOE THORPE said, "when I became ineligible." I am sorry to hear that, because I felt the same way. This season I had the first feeling of being a leader on the team. My record stood at 24-0, and I was named athlete of the week once. What I am saying to everyone out there is this: "GRADES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO WORRY ABOUT. THEN COMES WRESTLING ..."
My over all record stands at 73-21. Also the GHS TEAM was ranked as high as third in the state, and five of us became "ineligible". The good thing for GHS was four of us were all juniors. I'd also like to thank coach Auvil for helping all of us become good wrestlers....THANKS COACH! I would like to see AAA vs A-AA in a finals. That way they could really call themselves STATE CHAMPION..............................
CONGRATULATIONS TO Oak Glen for their team title this season. Especially one of my good friends DENNY LEBEC 140 pound champ. I had a great time this summer at camp working with him at WEST LIBERTY. My feelings go out to Fairmont Senior's Chris Neptune -- his dream was to be in the finals but he met the finals in the semi-finals. He will always be a state champ in my mind. Congratulations to FSHS' "murderers row" (Wilfong, Neptune, and Courtney). Most of the state will miss you except your opponents. HA HA HA. Congratulations also to Berkeley Spring "FOUR HORSEMEN" (Unger, Hovermale, Miller, and Waugh).

March 10, 1997 -- from Another Wrestling Coach
Dear Wrestling Coach,
Maryland and Pennsylvania have an All Star Classic pitting the top seniors from each classification against one another and it hasn't forced them back to one division. Personally I think it great and is long overdue. Just one coaches thoughts.
Wrestling Coach, P.S. I can understand your concern, lets just hope that it never happens.

March 10, 1997 -- from Wrestling Coach
To Buffalo Bill Cody. With The consolidations and dwindiling number of schools who participate in wrestling it would be a bad idea to have a AAA/A-AA championship. As soon as this happened the WVSSAC would say why not just have one division like before. Then all the hard work that the coaches did for the two divisions would be destroyed. BAD IDEA!!

March 8, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE THE STATE TOURNAMENT SEED THE WRESTLERS. BUT LIKE PEOPLE HAVE DISCUSSED BEFORE WOULD THERE BE BIASED DECISIONS AGAINST WRESTLERS FROM THE SOUTH SINCE TEAMS UP NORTH WRESTLE STRONG OHIO TEAMS ETC ETC OR FROM OTHER STATES OR TEAMS DOWN SOUTH WRESTLE OTHER TEAMS MAYBE NOT POWERHOUSES! BUT ANY WAY I THINK THE RANDOM DRAW IS THE BEST WAY SO THERE IS NO BIASED FEELINGS OR OTHER MOTIVES.
I GOT AN IDEA: HOW ABOUT A GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS? START THE STATES ON WEDNESDAY SO THERE WILL BE TIME. AFTER THE RESPECTIVE AAA AND A-AA FINALS ARE OVER WAIT FOR THE WRESTLERS TO HAVE THEIR REST AND HAVE THE CHAMPIONS FROM AAA WRESTLE THE CHAMPIONS FROM AA-A FOR THE GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP! ANY OTHER IDEAS OUT THERE? THIS IS ONLY AN OPIONION!

March 8, 1997 -- from Ashe
First of all I think that that Ward's loss to Johnson was an upset. Ward beat Johnson in conference! I can't wait to see Ward beat Johnson if they wrestle again. People maybe put to much pressure on Ward to be a 4-timer? But there is next year and this will make Ward work twice as hard! I have never met him but he seems like a good kid!!!!!!!!!

March 7, 1997 -- from Jim LeMaster
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
In reply to "the Ferrett" let me say that the flaws that I referred to were not in regard to those who worked at the tournament, but rather circumstances beyond their control. I.E. the on again and off again clock, the two "ladies" who had to be removed in an altercation over so-called saved seats, the weather and resultant travel problems, etc. Overall, those who worked in the state did a singular and exemplary job. I too have run tournaments albeit on a smaller scale and realize how difficult it can be. The comments were meant to be complementary and I hope no offense was taken as there was none intended.

March 7, 1997 -- from The Ferret
email: yea053@marshall.wvnet.edu
First, as someone who worked at the State Tournament, I'd be interested to hear, specifically, about the flaws (not necessarily including officials' "unfair" calls; tournament directors cannot control those!) concerning the running of the state tournament. Constructive criticism and review are the only ways such problems can be corrected in the future. Secondly, regarding the number of officials at the State finals, I believe this issue is voted on by the Coaches at the annual meeting. If that is not the case, I'd appreciate knowing how that issue is decided. Of course, a major part of that decision is cost. Everyone should realize that the officials, in addition to enjoying the sport, are trying to make some cash. So, we should keep in mind the budget constraints that every coach and/or tournament director face when deciding upon hosting an event.

March 7, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
WELL THE 50TH STATE TOURNAMENT PROVED TO BE A GOOD ONE! FIRST OF ALL TO THE WRESTLER UP NORTH -- I RESPECT COACH SHAW OF OAK GLEN BUT AN AAA TEAM DROPING DOWN TO AA AND OAK GLEN WINNING STATES IS GOOD BUT COACH ASHLEY DESERVED THE AWARD A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. HHS PONY EXPRESS, IF NOT FOR FRESHMAN BEING ENROLLED, WOULD HAVE HAD TO DROP TO AA AND THEY WOULD HAVE DOMINATED. EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW GOOD OF A COACH, COACH ARCHER IS! THAT WOULD HAVE NOT BEEN FAIR TO THE OTHERS FOR A TRIPLE AAA POWER TO DROP DOWN AND FOR THE TEAMS TO WORK HARD AND WIN A STATE TITLE TO HAVE THE BIG BOYS TAKE IT ALL.
IT SEEMS LIKE WHOEVER'S TEAM WINS THE STATE WINS COACH OF THE YEAR EXCEPT FOR COACH DELLIGATI IN 1996. LOOK AT WHAT AN UP AND DOWN YEAR HHS HAD AND SOME OF THE WRESTLERS THEY HAD BUT THE HAD BUT A 5TH PLACE TEAM FINISH! I THINK COACH ARCHER OR COACH DELLIGATI SHOULD HAVE WON THE AWARD! THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION!

March 7, 1997 -- from Randy Edrington
I HAVE EXCELLENT COPIES OF THE 1997 STATE FINALS INCLUDING THE PAST STATE CHAMPIONS, INTRODUCTION, THE AWARDS PRESENTATION AND AAA OUTSTANDING WRESTLER AWARD! AND THE 1997 STATE FINALIST MARCH! ALL FOR $20.00! MY ADRESS IS RANDY EDRINGTON P.O. BOX 800 HOMOSASSA SPRINGS FLORIDA 34447 PHONE NUMBER 352-628-4267. AND I DO HAVE COPIES STILL AVAILABLE OF THE 96 FINALS. PLEASE NOTE -- I JUST VIDEO TAPED THE AAA FINALS! 96 STATES IS 15.00 ALLOW 2 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY. I PAY ALL POSTAGES FEES!

March 7, 1997 -- from half nelson
The Coaches of the Year were: Matt Ashley, Wirt Co. A-AA, Paul Jackson, Parkersburg South AAA. The outstanding wrestler awards went to: Buddy McKeen, 135, Grafton and Ryan Painter, 189, Greenbrier West in A-AA. The AAA outstanding Wrestler went to Ryan Muldrew of John Marshall.

March 6, 1997 -- from The wonderer
email: luckytbh@hardynet.com
Could someone please tell me who got outstanding wrestler in both AA and AAA? I also would like to know who got the outstanding coaches awards too. Thank you very much.

March 6, 1997 -- from Jim and Dave
email: lemasterjpmd@msn.com
Congratulations to Point Pleasant's Alex Reed for being chosen to be the TV athlete of the week for last week. The TV station did a nice job on the presentation and Alex did a great interview. Any coverage of this type that recognizes wrestlers helps our sport. I was greatly pleased to see a wrestler chosen in the midst of high school basketball playoff and the Southern and Big East college tournaments. It was also great to see one of the little guys get some recognition. Alex says he will still be 103 next year as he cut almost no weight. Lot's of luck in next years state championships.
Also, congratulations to Blaine Crabtree of HHS. He has certainly improved in his time in high school. Lastly, the state tournament had, of course, a few flaws but overall, it was run super. The events started on time and ran smoothly. Thanks to all concerned. Also, thanks to all the visitors from outside of the Huntington area for supporting wrestling. I had the chance to meet fans from John Marshall, North Marion, Jefferson Co., and Ritchie Co. that were seated near us and all were friendly and courteous. "Y'all come back next year!"

March 6, 1997 -- from half nelson
Mark, the National High School tournament begins April 4 at 1:00 PM and continues through April 6 at the Palumbo Center in Pittsburgh, Pa. It is on the campus of Duquense University. Weigh-ins are on the 3rd. You can purchase tickets at the door. I've been there twice and it is something to behold. I hope this helped.

March 6, 1997 -- from Mark Hennosy
Does anybody know when and where the High School National Championships are? Also, how does one get tickets? Thanks, in advance.

March 5, 1997 -- from Jefferson Fan
It seems there were a couple of questionable calls made against the Jefferson Team. The first one being against J.D. Kirby, our 160lb, where his opponent from John Marshall was pinned but it was decided that time had expired in that period before the official had made the call. This win would have put Kirby in the championship finals on Saturday night. It is my understanding that the call was made by the person operating the clock, which in this case happen to be a team mate. With this being such an important event I would think that this type of call would be made by the official at that table. This decision might have caused Kirby the championship or at worst second place.
The second questionable call was made in the chapionship finals against R.J. Carry, our 189lb, on a pin by Cortney from Fairmont Sr. I don't believe his shoulder was ever down. Again,with this being such an important event it is not unusual to have two officials working the championship finals. This was not the case in Huntington. If there is anyone that agrees or disagrees with these calls, or with the way the tournement was officiated I would like to have your feedback.

March 5, 1997 -- from matrat
email: david.orochena@faa.dot.gov
Any info on where all of the seniors are going to college? It is unfortunate that their options are limited due to Title IX. It will be interesting to see if any of these men have an impact on the NCAA's in the future.

March 4, 1997 -- from Spanky
I think that Matt Ashley, WV's first four time state champ well deserved being coach of the year! By far he is the best wrestler & coach in the state of WV.

March 4, 1997 -- from Bob Wilson
I agree with Jenny - let everyone enjoy their championships because they all deserve it and I know that everyone works all year for the same goal. So congratulations to all the state champions.

March 4, 1997 -- from Bob Wilson
Re:Ward
If you are looking for anyone to wrestle with over the summer I would be more than happy to train with you over the summer. I would like to chat with you my e-mail adress is monarch@ovnet.com

March 4, 1997 -- from Thorpe
I attended the state wrestling tournament over the weekend, and I was very pleased with the great matches. I do however think that there should be some way to seed wrestlers in the State Tourney. Too many good wrestlers meet in the quater and semi- final rounds. For example in the 119 lbs. Adam Gorby and Brian Flanigan meet in the quaterfinals, then Gorby meet Jesse Crouch in the semis - also 140 Jason Ward and Chris Ward. I know that these are just a few of the matches that took place over the three day period, but there were also wrestlers who deserved to be in the finals, but instead #1 and #2 meet in the semis. Also hats off to freshman standout Jerry Singleton, from Huntington High, who proved that he was a man by getting 5th place in the 152 lbs. weightclass. Also to Blaine Crabtree of Huntington, who is Huntington's 1st state champ, as well as 1st heavyweight ever. I also thought that Byron Murrell, and Chris Copley answered the call well, even though they fell short of their hopes and dreams. Congratulations also to J.C. Chirgwin, who took over when I was no longer eligible; he got 6th place in 119. Well, I just think that the team as a whole did a great job for the 1st year, keeping the Huntington tradition going strong. I personally think that next year and many years after that this team could be battling with South in the State Tourney

March 4, 1997 -- from wrestler up north
I think that the AA-A coach of the year award should have went to Larry Shaw of Oak Glen High School. Does anybody agree with me?

March 4, 1997 -- from Analyzing the states
I did some quick calculations of the state tourney results:

STATE PLACEWINNERS BY REGION:

1st  2nd  3rd  4th  5th  6th  Total     
1      8    6    5    5    6    3    33     
2      4    2    6    4    3    7    26
3      1    4    2    1    2    2    12
4      1    2    1    4    3    2    13

North
(1&2) 12    8   11    9    9   10    59

South
(3&4)  2    6    3    5    5    4    25  

HOW EACH REGION'S WRESTLERS FARED (RECORD BY WEIGHT CLASS)
             REGION: 
WT        1       2       3       4
103     11-7    12-7     6-7     0-8 
112      8-5     7-9     8-7     6-8 
119     10-6     5-7     8-8     6-8 
125      9-5     7-9    12-7     1-8 
130     13-5     8-7     4-9     4-8
135     10-9     8-7     4-7     7-6 
140     10-5     5-9     5-7     9-8 
145     14-5     4-8     2-8     9-8
152      8-9    11-4     6-8     4-8
160      6-8     9-5     4-8    10-8
171      7-6    11-7     8-7     3-9
189     10-7    12-6     4-8     3-8
215     15-5     5-9     4-8     5-7
275      9-7     6-9     5-6     9-7

TOTAL  140-89  110-103  80-105  76-109 
RECORD  

North
Record  250-192

South 
Record  156-214

March 3, 1997 -- from The Editor:
RE: Why wasn't Randy Bragg included in the top wrestlers page?
Yikes! There was a post earlier this year asking why Randy Bragg wasn't listed as a top wrestler at 135. At the time, I didn't make the connection that the post was in reference to the Top Seniors, Juniors, etc., page on this website. As I was working on the updated page (probably will be posted tomorrow night), I noticed the omission. His name was omitted because he was erroneously listed in the 1995-96 tournament program as a senior, and that particular page only listed seniors who were state champs (Randy was runner up in 1995-96). My apologies to Randy and the fans at Independence. I imagine that there were several 35 pounders who WISH he had been a senior in 1995-96!

March 3, 1997 -- from The other Ward
email: wreslfreak@aol.com
In response to Mr. Ebert's comment, J.Ward was not called for stalling in the first period, Chris was. I should know because I was out there and witnessed it firsthand. Let's try to keep this page going strong over the summer. If anyone can let me know about any competions or teams that are competing on a national level, that would be appreciated. Also, I will be looking for some people to train freestyle/greco with (or anyone who is willing to put some time in this summer) Any suggestions??

March 3, 1997 -- from half nelson
The coaches individual rankings in A-AA were pretty accurate. They had 67 of the 84 place winners ranked and correctly predicted the champion of 11 of the 14 weight classes. I hope they continue to rank the wrestlers (maybe a preseason ranking next year) as it keeps interest in the sport and gives people from different geographic regions an idea of who to look out for in WV.

March 3, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
email: jennifer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
I agree - let the individual champions enjoy their championship. From what I could see, all 28 championship matches were won fairly, especially the AAA matches. These young men have worked hard to get to where they are, and to belittle their abilities is pretty tacky. I get a little tired of people picking on Andy Wilfong and Jason Johnson. They both proved that they are worthy of their second championships. I for one won't take anything away from their opponents, because I know Bob Wilson is a great wrestler and will more than likely become a state champion himself next year. And as for Jason Ward, I got to meet him as well as his parents this weekend and I have a great deal of respect for them. They're a very nice family and I wish Jason all the luck in the world. Thanks, Coach Archer, for letting us stay in our seats on Saturday. Also, opening up the other side of the Civic Center was absolutely wonderful. Let's hope they do that every year on Saturday afternoon! Anyway, I thought it was one of the best tournaments in years, not only because of South's success, but I thought the officiating was better than in the past and the sportsmanship was great. And one of the highlights of the weekend were when two of my favorite coaches, Paul Jackson and Matt Ashley, were named Coaches of the Year. Well, it's kind of like the day after Christmas now. Let's hope we can keep things alive by continuing to report AAU results and summer tournament results. Again, thanks to the tournament staff, coaches, wrestlers, officials, former state champions, and fans for making this year's state tournament one to remember.

March 3, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
There's one very important thank you I forgot. I think all of us who have enjoyed this web site this year (I found it as early as May!) owe a tremendous deal of gratitude to Tim Miller for all his hard work on a very well-maintained site. He is a very busy man yet he still devotes a lot of time and energy toward promoting the sport of wrestling in West Virginia, and for that he is to be commended. Thanks for turning the excitement up a notch this year!

Editors note: Thanks for the compliment. As most readers of this website have figured out, Jenny contributed a huge amount of material and her efforts are invaluable. It is always risky to name names (for fear of leaving someone out), but I would be remiss if I failed to acknowledge Coach Blankenship of Berkeley Springs for all his help and support; also Coach Michael of North Marion, Coach Altobello of Keyser, Coach Bender of Roane County, Coach Auvil of Grafton, Coach Beane of Braxton County, Coach Erlewine of Brooke, Coach Shaffer of Wheeling Park, Coach Sparks of Cabell-Midland, Coach Brisendine of St Marys, and Coach Gilson of Independence. Also thanks to Coach Archer of Huntington for the fine hospitality extended at the State Tournament.

March 2, 1997 -- from James Connor
I think Josh Craddock answered the question about his high ranking.His only loss was to Murrell and he got that one back. They say actions speak louder than words so let him enjoy his championship.

March 2, 1997 -- from Amn Wendy Ellison
ellisonw@medcenoa.wpafb.af.mil
I was just wondering, as an avid supporter of pee-wee through high school wrestling for the past six years, is there a newletter that concerns West Virginia high school wrestling? I joined the Air Force in August and have beed very disapponted to have missed so much of this season and would like to change that in the future. I'm just afew hours away, stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio, so I frequently drive home, most recently for the Shady Spring High School Wretle-rama. This is an excellent website to keep me updated-thanks to all those involved in its upkeep and creation! You may remember Daniel Kinley, from Liberty High School-he is stationed hear as well and often travels home to support his younger brother,Steve- just last weekend for Reginals and this weekend for states. If anyone has any information about a newsletter, please e-mail me some information. If you'd like to contact Daniel, his e-mail is kinleyd@medcenoa.wpafb.af.mil

March 2, 1997 -- from B. Ebert
email: solobaric@hotmail.com
There were a lot of good matches and upsets at states. Chris Ward was upset by Jason Ward. The final was 2-1. Chris let him up and got a stalling point against him. Chris got an escape. Jason was called for stalling in the first period. Then he was called for stalling again in the third period. The match should of been 2-2 than takin into over time but there is nothing they can do now. Ryan Muldrew had a easy ride all the way through. He had a pin in the finals against the kid from Parkersburg. He already beat this kid twice earlier in the year. He was most valuable wrestler. Bob Wilson finished 2nd to Wilfong. Wilfong just got to the finals by winning matches by 1 or 2 points. Ankrom of capital had him beat but let it slip away. Well look for Wilson to win it next year. John Marshall ended up 3rd barely. Ben Kulpa could of got 3rd for them with a win.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated February 13, 1997