West Virginia High
School Wrestling

West Virginia Wrestling -- March, 1997 Forum

Weeks Three and four

Questions and comments welcome!

If you have some bit of West Virginia wrestling information to share, or a question or comment, here is the place.
Let's keep the discourse positive!
(Note: Flames, trash talk, and other items deemed inappropriate will not be posted).

To submit an item for the forum, click here to go to the forum submission page.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

March 31, 1997 -- from Thorpe
I do agree, that the power will shift down south. Parkersburg South has lost a great deal of their team, as has Wheeling Park. But I however think that Huntington High will be in the running for the state title next year. We are returning a 5th and a 6th in state, as well as others who should have placed. Next years Srs shall include: Joe Thorpe 125-130 2nd 96 112; J.C. Chirgwin 125-130 6th 97 119; John Neal 135-140; Jason Singleton 140-152; Nathan Bexefield 145-152; Brian Cade 145-152; Danny Davidson 215. We are also returning several talented sophs and fresh. to fill in for Byron Murrell, Mychal Wright, Chris Copley, and Blaine Crabtree. This is just my opinion though, but look at it, I could be right. Next years region may be close, as was this years, but I'm looking for Huntington to win it's 10th REGIONAL TITLE NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 1997 -- from Jenny Sullivan
email: jennifer.gilchrist@gep.ge.com
This message is for Randy Edrington. I would like to talk to you about ordering some videotapes. Could you either contact me via my e-mail or call me at 1-800-624-2651 and we can discuss the order. Thanks!

March 31, 1997
There's a nice article about Ryan Courtney heading to the National High School Tourney in Pittsburgh (to be held this week-end) in Today's edition of the Fairmont Times-West Virginian under local sports.

March 30, 1997 -- from Scarlet Knight Fan
Expect shift in the powers next year. Parkersburg South has a great program, however, they will lose many of their veterans. Wheeling Park also loses their powerhouses. Look to the south for the dominating teams next year. Cabell Midland for instance: They return Jason Ward, whom I feel is the best wrestler in the state (obviously not unbeatable, I know). And Jared Walters who is just coming off a third place finish in AAU Nationals. Senior leaders: Eric Frazier, Mike Olson, and Dallas Nibert are among the most talented I have seen (no offense Mexicano). Their only real loss was of Ryan Harris and Pat Morrison, who both should be easily replaced by the crop of young middleweight talent.

March 30, 1997
If you have any forms for summer wrestling, please send a copy to:
Great Valley Wrestling Association
c/o Mark R. Moser
16 Ridge Road
Malvern, PA 19355

March 30, 1997 -- from WV Wrestling Fanatic
This is a great page. I tried to find Pennsylvania results this week, it was nearly impossible. Anyway, here is an idea: In PA the State Finals are brodcast on public television. Just thought it was a cool idea.

Editors note: I sent a letter to my local PBS station a few years suggesting delayed broadcast of the finals, as is done in PA. Didn't have much effect obviously. I pointed out that it should be relatively easy to do such a broadcast:

Of course, $$$$$$ for the broadcast is the glitch. Now, if someone or some group could approach their local PBS station with a list of sponsors in tow .......

March 27, 1997 -- from crossface
Agree with halfnelson that Oak Glen is a very talented team. They should be a force in AA/A for the next couple years. Still admire the Wirt and Berkeley Springs teams. It will be intersting to see what seniors go on to wrestle in college.

March 26, 1997 -- from halfnelson
Mex, Oak Glen was certainly better than a top twenty AAA team. They certainly would have been in the top ten. Having said that, AAA should be better year in and year out - it's called simple mathmatics. However there have been and there will be times when the AA champions are superior to the AAA. But there is no way that, year in and year out, a high school with an enrollment of 300 in the top three grades can compete with one 2 to 4 times its size, that is why we have classifications. It has been proposed, in the past, that we have an all star meet after the season has ended to settle the debate. One thing is for sure, we don't want to go back to just one classification.

March 24, 1997 -- from MEXICANO
I THINK IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE BUDDY MCKEEN WRESTLE JASON WARD. I PREDICT THAT WARD WOULD WIN. PAT MORRISON LOST HIS FIRST TWO MATCHES AT THE STATE TOURN., BUT HE BEAT THE AA STATE CHAMP AT 130 THIS PAST WEEKEND AT MASON COUNTY.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AAA AND AA? ASK OAK GLEN WHICH IS TOUGHER. THEY MIGHT BE A TOP 20 TEAM IN AAA (IN MY OPINION), BUT THEY WIN THE STATE AT AA.

March 24, 1997 -- from Patrick Morrison
I am looking for some information on High School Nationals in Pittsburgh. I have some stuff but I need to know more about registration and some other stuff. All the info I have is very general. Also if possible I'd like to know who from WV is planning on going to Nationals.

March 23, 1997 -- from RANDY
I KNOW IT WOULD BE HARD BUT HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE ON ALL FORMER W.V. WRESTLERS IN THEIR COLLEGE CAREERS!

March 21, 1997 -- from RANDY EDRINGTON
FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS GOES OUT TO ONE OF MY HIGH SCHOOL TEAM MATES -- JAMES BRANCH OF WEST LIBERTY STATE COLEGE WEST VIRGINIA! JAMES HAS JUST BECOME THE FIRST W.V. NATIVE TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. HE WON THE DIVISION 2 CHAMPIONSHIP AT 150 POUNDS. JAMES FINISHED HIS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CAMPAIGN 29-3. JAMES IS A 4X NATIONAL QUALIFIER, 2X AT THE N.A.I.A LEVEL AND 2X AT THE DIVISION 2 LEVEL HIS FRESHMAN CAMPAIGN HE MISSED MAKING ALL AMERICAN HONORS BY 1 POINT AND HIS SOPHOMORE YEAR EARNED ALL AMERICAN HONORS WITH AND 8TH PLACE FINISH. HIS JUNIOR YEAR LOST BY 1 POINT TO THE EVENTUAL NATIONAL DIVISION 2 CHAMPION IN THE SEMIS AND HIS SENIOR YEAR WON THE NATIONAL TITLE!!!!!!!!!!
IN HIS CAREER IT SHOULD BE NOTED HE HAS DEFEATED SEVERAL DIVISION 1 WRESTLERS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN HIM! AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ROB ARCHER OF OHIO STATE. HE HAD AN 8TH PLACE FINISH AT THE BIG 10'S. ROB THIS YEAR ALSO DEFEATED SEVERAL NATIONAL QUALIFIERS.
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF MY TEAM MATES AND GOOD LUCK TO ANOTHER FRIEND EVEN THOUGH NOT A TEAM MATE BUT FRIEND NO LESS -- MIKE MASON W.V.U

March 20, 1997 -- from HAM
I think that the Grafton High School Wrestling Team was heavily over looked this year. They lost five key members to their team at the end of the semester. I think that Head Coach Rod Auvil should be proud of what he got accomplished this year. Buddy McKeen was with out a doubt the best wreslter in the state. He had to have three staples put in his head after his quarterfinal match. After having all of that done he still came back and won the state championship in the 135 lb weight class. So I don't want to here anymore negative things said about Grafton High Wrestling or Buddy McKeen.

March 19, 1997 -- from The Athletes Showcase
email: mike@athletes-showcase.com
We have a great new site called the Athletes Showcase. The address is www.athletes-showcase.com. It is designed for high school athletes. Take a look -- we would love some feedback.

March 18, 1997 -- from BUFFALO BILL CODY
OK: FOR STARTERS YOU GUYS ARE NORTH MARION
SECOND THE WEIGHT CLASSES COULD CHANGE BUT THESE WRESTLERS WILL WIN THE STATE. COACH DELERENZO AND HEDRICK ASKED ME TO MAKE MY PREDICTIONS AND OUT OF 28 FINALIST 4 FAILED TO MAKE IT TO THE FINALS -- ADAM GORBY, JASON SCOTT, NICK HEDRICK, CHRIS NEPTUNE.
BUT THESE WRESRLERS WILL WIN THE STATE NEXT YEAR -- BONASSO (FR-SR.) GORBY (N.M THAT WAY HE WILL BE ABLE TO PUT THAT IN THE MIDDLE OF TIM BYARD'S 2 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS) WARD (C.M) HEDRICK (FR.SR) BESEDICH (N.M)
WAIT TILL I HAVE MY PROGRAM AND I WILL HAVE MORE CHAMPIONS.
AS FAR AS TEAMS THE CONTENDERS: SOUTH, FAIR.SR, HHS, N.M., CABELL MIDLAND, ROANE CO.
AND THEY SHOULD BRING BACK THE PONY EXPRESS. YOU CAN CHANGE THE NICKNAME BUT WITH COACH ARCHER THE RESULTS STILL THE SAME -- REGIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!! THE PONIES WILL STILL LIVE THROUGH ME. RIDE EM-HIGH!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 1997 -- from Peekay <peekay@dial.pipex.com>
My name is Colin and I'm a teacher in England. I enjoy most sports and think that your wrestling site is extremely well designed and informative to a novice to the sport such as myself. Well done and the best of luck as you grapple your way, I'm sure, to the very top.

March 17, 1997 -- from wrestling fan
email: emaynard@capital.edu
Dogs from down south-- As much as it disappoints me to say that Ohio wrestling is far superior to that of WV -- it is true. All one has to do is look at the results of how Parkersburg South has done when they have gone to tournaments in Ohio like the Ironman Invitational where they placed ninth as a team and only placed a few wrestlers (none in the finals). I myself am a college wrestler (one of the few from WV) and I see first hand the dominance that Ohio shows over WV simply because the number of high school teams from Ohio are so much greater than the 70 odd High Schools that wrestle in WV.
I do agree that Region 3 is gaining on the rest of the state and will be a factor in future State Tourney as the area's wrestling continues to improve.
The teams in Ohio that are good are Stow, Walsh Jesuit, St. EDs, Desales, Massilon, And Perry. Just take a look at almost any national magazines top 25 teams and normally Ohio will have the most in these polls.

Current forum and index
Return to the WV-Mat front page

Updated April 6, 1997