Braxton

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Braxton

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 am

In reading the scores, it states Braxton County defeated Greenbrier East 80-0.

Can somebody provide clarity on this? I cannot believe these two schools wrestled with their full line ups and this was the final score.

Coach Williams? WTF (were there forfeits)?????
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

EGMS_Coach

Re: Braxton

Postby EGMS_Coach » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 am

That was east B team of 5 Varsity was wrestling Point Pleasant

TheDonald

Postby TheDonald » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 am

Bearhugger wrote:In reading the scores, it states Braxton County defeated Greenbrier East 80-0.

Can somebody provide clarity on this? I cannot believe these two schools wrestled with their full line ups and this was the final score.

Love the clarification on the WTF....... :lol: :lol: :lol: Got to admit that was pretty funny.

otsac

Postby otsac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Braxton is really good. No doubt about that. Pretty much stacked in good wrestlers combined with lots of young kids. Probably will be top 3-5 in the state at the end of the year. But their behavior and attitude needs addressed.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Bearhugger wrote:In reading the scores, it states Braxton County defeated Greenbrier East 80-0.

That was their JV team. I think they had 6 or 7 wrestlers.

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 am

We usually see Braxton several times a year and I have watched them for the last 5 years now and their wrestlers are always friendly and so are the coaches and parents. A kid here and there may get emotional during a match but that happens on every team.

tsb1967

Postby tsb1967 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:22 am

An athlete’s behavior reflects on the athlete and the people around him. Most kids compete with class, honor, and pride for themselves, their families, their teams, their coaches, and their schools. It’s the way it’s supposed to be, business as usual. They don’t draw a lot of attention for behaving the way they are expected to. On the other hand, when an athlete behaves badly, everyone notices. And fair or not, their bad behavior reflects on others.

Last year at the WVYWA state tournament (so not high school), I saw the absolute hands down dirtiest wrestler I have ever seen. The further he fell behind the dirtier he got. The referee did a terrible job controlling the match, but he did finally stop the match early and disqualify the kid. No one argued. No one complained. Everyone watching knew the kid was guilty. No one seemed surprised. Other wrestlers were talking about how “dirty” he was before the match. He had a reputation coming in. So, this wasn’t the first time this kid behaved that way. He was from Braxton County.

I believe the kid is in high school now, and if things haven’t changed, his behavior will reflect on the program and others, fair or not.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 am

tsb1967 wrote:An athlete’s behavior reflects on the athlete and the people around him. Most kids compete with class, honor, and pride for themselves, their families, their teams, their coaches, and their schools. It’s the way it’s supposed to be, business as usual. They don’t draw a lot of attention for behaving the way they are expected to. On the other hand, when an athlete behaves badly, everyone notices. And fair or not, their bad behavior reflects on others.

Last year at the WVYWA state tournament (so not high school), I saw the absolute hands down dirtiest wrestler I have ever seen. The further he fell behind the dirtier he got. The referee did a terrible job controlling the match, but he did finally stop the match early and disqualify the kid. No one argued. No one complained. Everyone watching knew the kid was guilty. No one seemed surprised. Other wrestlers were talking about how “dirty” he was before the match. He had a reputation coming in. So, this wasn’t the first time this kid behaved that way. He was from Braxton County.

I believe the kid is in high school now, and if things haven’t changed, his behavior will reflect on the program and others, fair or not.

I am not sure who you are talking about, but we only have 4 wrestlers on our team who competed at WSAZs last year in the 8th grade and none of them were DQed. Sturgis May was injured in the semis and forfeited out to 5th place, Justin Paletti only lost one match 6-4 and he went on to place 3rd, Logan Conley placed 1st, and Jordan Graham won two matches by points and lost two by fall.

I have tried to stay above this stuff, but find the constant attacks on the character of our wrestlers to be downright uncalled for. This has gotten so absurd that they are now being characterized for the actions of a wrestler that is not even on the team. We did not have a wrestler DQed for biting while losing his match (there is some irony here considering your post), we did not have a wrestler taunt his upcoming opponent on Instagram that he was going to pin him in 30 seconds, our team did not show poor sportsmanship by leaving the mat and refusing to shake hands at the end of a dual (which we coaches would not have allowed), and our scorekeeper did not return to the mat after going into the stands with the team and curse at another team's wrestlers. Yes, our wrestlers got loud and rowdy while cheering on their teammates as a bunch of testosterone-fueled wrestlers can do, but that is neither poor character nor poor sportsmanship.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:00 am

Tab1967 talks about wvywa and coach williams gives us wsaz results?

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 am

coach_williams wrote:
tsb1967 wrote:An athlete’s behavior reflects on the athlete and the people around him. Most kids compete with class, honor, and pride for themselves, their families, their teams, their coaches, and their schools. It’s the way it’s supposed to be, business as usual. They don’t draw a lot of attention for behaving the way they are expected to. On the other hand, when an athlete behaves badly, everyone notices. And fair or not, their bad behavior reflects on others.

I am not sure who you are talking about, but we only have 4 wrestlers on our team who competed at WSAZs last year in the 8th grade and none of them were DQed. Sturgis May was injured in the semis and forfeited out to 5th place, Justin Paletti only lost one match 6-4 and he went on to place 3rd, Logan Conley placed 1st, and Jordan Graham won two matches by points and lost two by fall.

I have tried to stay above this stuff, but find the constant attacks on the character of our wrestlers to be downright uncalled for. This has gotten so absurd that they are now being characterized for the actions of a wrestler that is not even on the team. We did not have a wrestler DQed for biting while losing his match (there is some irony here considering your post), we did not have a wrestler taunt his upcoming opponent on Instagram that he was going to pin him in 30 seconds, our team did not show poor sportsmanship by leaving the mat and refusing to shake hands at the end of a dual (which we coaches would not have allowed), and our scorekeeper did not return to the mat after going into the stands with the team and curse at another team's wrestlers. Yes, our wrestlers got loud and rowdy while cheering on their teammates as a bunch of testosterone-fueled wrestlers can do, but that is neither poor character nor poor sportsmanship.

Coach, look again. Without mentioning names you had a 110 lb kid that placed in the wsazs, and the same one was dq'd in the wvywa tournament. The reults are posted here on wvmat. He wrestled 116 early in the year last season. I do not know any other details. Just letting you know that

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 am

In fairness to coach Williams I don't think he was trying to mislead us. He changes programs every year or two and it has to be hard to keep track of the programs.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:55 am

I agree, I just looked back and saw the results. I have no idea what happened.

Frank

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 am

I'm going to have to applaud coach Williams on this one. He defends his current team and wrestlers by name and using his name. While tcby1987 uses an ,A LEE LESS, and attacks a program on the action of one nameless kid. These kids are works in progress give the nameless freshmen some time. There good people in Braxton county and if he need adjustments, they make the adjustment. Have faith. Sorry for the lack of spelling and grammar. Feel free to attack me on that one. I'm frank

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:Tab1967 talks about wvywa and coach williams gives us wsaz results?

It was 2:30am and I was half asleep. Sorry. Mistakes happen.

otsac

Postby otsac » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:43 am

more unbecoming behavior witnessed this weekend. love the extra little shove offs after pinning the opponent too. jeff Jordan much?

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:16 pm

otsac wrote:more unbecoming behavior witnessed this weekend. love the extra little shove offs after pinning the opponent too. jeff Jordan much?

Think positive

Return to “High School Wrestling”