South Wrestling Nationally Ranked

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
timamos

South Wrestling Nationally Ranked

Postby timamos » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 am

Parkersburg South broke into Intermat's National Rankings at #47 this week. Being the highest finishing unranked team at Ironman made people take notice. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by timamos on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDonald

Re: South Wrestling Nationalky Ranked

Postby TheDonald » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am

Congrats to Dem South fellows! Appreciate you all MWGA in the great city of Parkersburg and getting recognized for it! Keep up the great work!

Gator

Re: South Wrestling Nationally Ranked

Postby Gator » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 am

That is great! The boys have worked hard for the recognition. It’s also is a reflection on WV wrestling in general, as more schools and individual wrestlers are traveling and taking part in off season national tournaments and doing well.

Best wishes to the South team as they travel to participate in the Tony Farrance Duals in Johnson City, TN this Saturday.
Moderator WV Mat

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I agree with the gator. Congratulations to all West Virginia wrestlers who go out there to challenge themselves and don't worry about preserving an undefeated record.
Now the challenge for the rest of us is to knock off the ranked team

Frank

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm

congrats, we ll see you in a couple weeks

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am

timamos wrote:Parkersburg South broke into Intermat's National Rankings at #47 this week. Being the highest finishing unranked team at Ironman made people take notice. Keep up the good work.

They deserve it, quite a team.
Massilon Perry is ranked #33 by intermat, and scored 3.5 more points than South at the Ironman. I'd imagine South would have cracked the top 30 of they had taken the full roster. Windland, Dunbar, and Johnson would have scored them some points.
Anyways, great job putting WV wrestling on the radar!
sentenceseller

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 am

Actually, if you look at the rankings (and it says these rankings are for tournament performance as opposed to dual matches) you will notice South placed well ahead of several teams ranked in the mid 20's and beat the 18th ranked team and tied the 14th ranked team. As someone mentioned above, this was wrestling with only with a half roster while several of the other teams were allowed to bring all 14 wrestlers (for example, Dunbar at 182 pinned both boys from St. Eds and Wadsworth who had full rosters there). I have a feeling that there is a chance for their ranking to move up if more consideration is given to relative performance to multiple higher ranked teams. They will have a chance to work on this at Powerade. Should be interesting with the other WV teams there also. Congratulations to all the WV wrestlers who worked hard for the opportunity to wrestle at the Ironman.

SingleLegTrump

Postby SingleLegTrump » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I have on good authority South recruits from edison and blennerhasset middle schools relentlessly
Make Wrestlers Tough Again

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Also, got some feedback from Intermat Wrestling and their high school rankings are not solely based on tournament performance. College is almost solely based on what a team will do in the NCAA tournament at the end of the year. In high school it is more subjective and a blend of tournaments (both elite and local) and team strength from a dual standpoint is used. Obviously an impossible job to combine all this given the enormous number of wrestlers and teams. This is further complicated by the teams that remain mainly local in their range of competition and therefore remain off the radar nationally. This maybe applies to a discussion on another post about a statement regarding the notoriety of Parkersburg wrestlers compared to some others in the state. Maybe if everyone just accepted the honor of being mentioned in rankings and let the placement be decided by what happens on the mat. Also from a team standpoint if we all realize that it is possible for one team to be better in a dual format and another in a tournament and that even the competition in a particular tournament can immensely change the outcome between two specific teams. For the wrestlers, just be happy that your name comes up in discussion. And for the rest of us, try not to live off of another person's hard work and effort.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't like South. However, they clearly have an impressive level of talent on their team and kudos to them for being recognized on a national level. That's a big accomplishment. Clearly not all of their wrestlers grew up in Parkersburg, but I would venture to guess that more of their wrestlers began in their elementary program than most of the teams on that national ranking list. That is an under-recognized accomplishment. I still hope they lose more than they win when wrestling in the state & OVAC, but their accomplishments make WV wrestling look good and get noticed. For that, love them or hate them, we should all be very grateful. Congratulations Park South.

J. Zeiders

Fan 1977

Postby Fan 1977 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:33 pm

I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge, Josh is the only wrestler on the team that did not grow up on the South side of Parkersburg.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:10 pm

KDunbar wrote:And for the rest of us, try not to live off of another person's hard work and effort.

Discussing rankings isn't living off of the hard work of others.
I can't imagine what a beta you must be, to post passive aggressive remarks like that on an internet forum. If you don't like it, don't take part in the discussion.
sentenceseller

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Since this thread is a South thread, I think I can say that they just wiped out everyone in The Tony Farrance Duals in TN.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:05 am

Based on some of the recent comments I have read on both this topic and some others, I can see that there is a lack of harmony on WVMAT. Interestingly enough, my discussion input is down 47% in comparison to the past four December averages.

In an effort to restore balance to the WVMAT forum, I plan to launch an all out editorial assault beginning December 20th and to continue until we return to having only ONE WV state tournament.

Let me proactively declare that any member who "joins today" and "talks smack today", is declared an idiot.

Enjoy the season. I plan to.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 am

Gator wrote:Since this thread is a South thread, I think I can say that they just wiped out everyone in The Tony Farrance Duals in TN.

Gator your awful proud of them south boys.
I wish them success too after Christmas.
See you next week gator.
Your turn to buy

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:42 am

greencrush wrote:
KDunbar wrote:And for the rest of us, try not to live off of another person's hard work and effort.

Discussing rankings isn't living off of the hard work of others.
I can't imagine what a beta you must be, to post passive aggressive remarks like that on an internet forum. If you don't like it, don't take part in the discussion.

Excuse me, I didn't intend anything to be passive in my comments. It wasn't addressed to anyone "discussing" rankings. It was to the ones that whine about "my teams better than yours" (whether they are from Parkersburg or where ever). I don't know if that struck a cord with you. I don't pay much attention to which anonymous person said what. And actually I don't take part in those discussions. I just accidenally have to read them all the time. Could you describe what different kinds of beta you could imagine?
On a separate note, did J. Zeiders mean he didn't like the people from South, the wrestlers from South, or just the school in general? I actually always liked his son when I watched him wrestle over the years (if I'm actually addressing the correct person).

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:49 am

Bearhugger wrote:.

In an effort to restore balance to the WVMAT forum, I plan to launch an all out editorial assault beginning December 20th and to continue until we return to having only ONE WV state tournament.

I've been beating the drum for an all-class state tournament for a while now. As far as South goes, I don't know a single kid on the team and am in no way affiliated. I'm merely proud the see WV popping up on national ranking sites.
sentenceseller

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 am

greencrush wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:.

I've been beating the drum for an all-class state tournament for a while now. As far as South goes, I don't know a single kid on the team and am in no way affiliated. I'm merely proud the see WV popping up on national ranking sites.

I wasn't clear. I was referring to the two state tournaments we had last season. As for combining all classes into one, its not one of my favorite subjects so I give it little thought.

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am

"On a separate note, did J. Zeiders mean he didn't like the people from South, the wrestlers from South, or just the school in general? I actually always liked his son when I watched him wrestle over the years (if I'm actually addressing the correct person)."

Since asked, I shall clarify. In 2007 I was a lowly assistant in the video office for WVU football. I had already learned that a good Mountaineer always cheers against Pitt. My uncle is a Pitt graduate and loves the school, even at times wasting his money going to watch them play football. I don't hate my uncle, I just pull for any one who they play. Funny thing is, he does the same for WVU. we have some fun discussions around it. It maybe somewhat of a dichotomy, maybe, but easy for me to separate the two entities, the people & the team. When Owen, who yes is my son, was our kicker for football (sophomore season), the only kicking camp reasonably close by that worked for his wrestling schedule was at Pitt. I still accompanied him, had a friendly banter with their running backs coach, Andre Powell, who often spends time relaxing at Tygart Lake. I don't hate him, but I still want Pitt football to lose every game. In addition, seeing their facilities, they are nice and I respect what they bring to the game and understand why kids go to school there.

Park South. I don't hate any individuals from Parkersburg, in fact most of the ones I have spoken too have been kind and understanding and jovial. My son frequently communicates with Zane & Luke, considers them to be good people and enjoys his conversations. I am a ginger and pull for gingers. So if Drew Dunbar is wrestling somebody not from University, its just fine for him to win. Loudon Haga wrestled with Owen in Virginia Beach for next level, good kid. Here is the thing. In sports its a little more exciting if you have teams to pull for or against. Its not about the people, its about the entity. I really wanted Park South to beat Parkersburg in football, it would make our conference look better & South's football coaches are good guys. Much of my sports ire would be directed at Morgantown, but there wrestling team is not much of a challenge. The only feeder program they have in town, is at University and coached by University people. In football, its different, I hope MHS loses every game, but I also consider Matt Lacy (Morgantown's Head coach) to be a friend. I did my student teaching with him, he's an exceptionally good dude. I don't hate him or wish him ill, I don't pull for the entity that is Morgantown football.

Humans are full of dichotomies. Maybe that is where I reside, but I think it is easy to understand why I would want Park South to be dominant out of state and then lose in state, it would elevate the state of WV wrestling. In doing so it would make University and the other schools look good too. It should not have been taken personal and in fact, was really written to be a compliment. Stating I am not a Park South fan and explaining my wishes but acknowledging their superiority with a talent base who began in their pee-wee program is impressive. I used the fact I am not a Park South fan to provide gravity and leverage to the statement. As opposed to a Park fan who's bias is worn on their sleeve. I hope this explanation suffices, I will be available to discuss over a brewski at OVAC or states, God willing. My wish for South, is that they would accept home/away wrestling dual contracts as I think it would benefit the state as well. I don't think they have had a dual outside of Parkersburg the last two years. I know they don't this year, their schedule told me so.

J. Zeiders

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am

Bucktail wrote:"On a separate note, did J. Zeiders mean he didn't like the people from South, the wrestlers from South, or just the school in general? I actually always liked his son when I watched him wrestle over the years (if I'm actually addressing the correct person)."

Since asked, I shall clarify. In 2007 I was a lowly assistant in the video office for WVU football. I had already learned that a good Mountaineer always cheers against Pitt. My uncle is a Pitt graduate and loves the school, even at times wasting his money going to watch them play football. I don't hate my uncle, I just pull for any one who they play. Funny thing is, he does the same for WVU. we have some fun discussions around it. It maybe somewhat of a dichotomy, maybe, but easy for me to separate the two entities, the people & the team. When Owen, who yes is my son, was our kicker for football (sophomore season), the only kicking camp reasonably close by that worked for his wrestling schedule was at Pitt. I still accompanied him, had a friendly banter with their running backs coach, Andre Powell, who often spends time relaxing at Tygart Lake. I don't hate him, but I still want Pitt football to lose every game. In addition, seeing their facilities, they are nice and I respect what they bring to the game and understand why kids go to school there.

Park South. I don't hate any individuals from Parkersburg, in fact most of the ones I have spoken too have been kind and understanding and jovial. My son frequently communicates with Zane & Luke, considers them to be good people and enjoys his conversations. I am a ginger and pull for gingers. So if Drew Dunbar is wrestling somebody not from University, its just fine for him to win. Loudon Haga wrestled with Owen in Virginia Beach for next level, good kid. Here is the thing. In sports its a little more exciting if you have teams to pull for or against. Its not about the people, its about the entity. I really wanted Park South to beat Parkersburg in football, it would make our conference look better & South's football coaches are good guys. Much of my sports ire would be directed at Morgantown, but there wrestling team is not much of a challenge. The only feeder program they have in town, is at University and coached by University people. In football, its different, I hope MHS loses every game, but I also consider Matt Lacy (Morgantown's Head coach) to be a friend. I did my student teaching with him, he's an exceptionally good dude. I don't hate him or wish him ill, I don't pull for the entity that is Morgantown football.

Humans are full of dichotomies. Maybe that is where I reside, but I think it is easy to understand why I would want Park South to be dominant out of state and then lose in state, it would elevate the state of WV wrestling. In doing so it would make University and the other schools look good too. It should not have been taken personal and in fact, was really written to be a compliment. Stating I am not a Park South fan and explaining my wishes but acknowledging their superiority with a talent base who began in their pee-wee program is impressive. I used the fact I am not a Park South fan to provide gravity and leverage to the statement. As opposed to a Park fan who's bias is worn on their sleeve. I hope this explanation suffices, I will be available to discuss over a brewski at OVAC or states, God willing. My wish for South, is that they would accept home/away wrestling dual contracts as I think it would benefit the state as well. I don't think they have had a dual outside of Parkersburg the last two years. I know they don't this year, their schedule told me so.

J. Zeiders

Other then his lack of misspelled words and good punchiaton.
I think I like this guy.
Go Herd or go Home
Frank Lusher

Wrestlingready

Postby Wrestlingready » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 am

Congrats on the ranking to a well deserving, school, Coaching Staff, Parents, and especially the athletes. Keep up the good work.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am

I understand where you’re coming from Mr Zeiders. Very good explanation.

South actually has traveled out of town more than they’ve wrestled at home the past few years. Many of the supporters complained that we didn’t have enough home matches. New South AD, Roger Thompson, asked if the team could get more home matches this year. That request was answered with more home matches.

We opened this year with duals at St Eds High, just like we did last year. We travel to Ohio, PA and TN during the month of December. We had a quad early at South and will host Indy and East Fairmont this week after traveling to Coal City last year for a tri with Indy and Huntington. Until Point went to AA/A, we had a rotating tri with them and Ripley. Having a few more matches at home this year is a treat, after years of traveling to find the best competition possible.

I’m sure if you contact Coach Smith he would be glad to swap out home matches with University(possibly a tri or quad involving Morgantown and Preston).

In the past, they could not get enough OVAC teams to wrestle them to qualify for the OVAC dual championships.

Best wish to your son this year and perhaps we can meet sometime.

Gator
Moderator WV Mat

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Gator wrote:I understand where you’re coming from Mr Zeiders. Very good explanation.

South actually has traveled out of town more than they’ve wrestled at home the past few years. Many of the supporters complained that we didn’t have enough home matches. New South AD, Roger Thompson, asked if the team could get more home matches this year. That request was answered with more home matches.

We opened this year with duals at St Eds High, just like we did last year. We travel to Ohio, PA and TN during the month of December. We had a quad early at South and will host Indy and East Fairmont this week after traveling to Coal City last year for a tri with Indy and Huntington. Until Point went to AA/A, we had a rotating tri with them and Ripley. Having a few more matches at home this year is a treat, after years of traveling to find the best competition possible.

I’m sure if you contact Coach Smith he would be glad to swap out home matches with University(possibly a tri or quad involving Morgantown and Preston).

In the past, they could not get enough OVAC teams to wrestle them to qualify for the OVAC dual championships.

Best wish to your son this year and perhaps we can meet sometime.

Gator

I appreciate your explanation of PSHS schedule. I looked on St. Ed's as a tournament, but you are correct a dual. You are also correct I would have been better to have framed my request differently about their schedule. It is indeed a difficult one with lots of travel. What I should have said is I would like to see them do some home and home with TRAC opponents like University and Wheeling Park. . Scheduling is always difficult and more goes into it than the casual fan knows, especially more than I know.

J. Zeiders

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:11 pm

With more TRAC opponents on the schedule this year than in past years, there will probably be more home and home swaps in the future.

We have the South Classic in early January with Brooke and Morgantown participating in a pool dual format with 8 teams total. Then we have Oak Glen and Warren, Ohio in a tri, followed by the Brooke Classic with several more TRAC teams. It's getting better.

University has a great program and I'd love to see them on South's schedule every year. The 2 teams even have last year's co-coaches of the year leading them.

See you at the OVAC Tournament Mr. Zeiders.
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 pm

What happened with the WV duals? Not sure who administered the WV duals but that went from something special years ago to no duals now?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Bucktail wrote:"On a separate note, did J. Zeiders mean he didn't like the people from South, the wrestlers from South, or just the school in general? I actually always liked his son when I watched him wrestle over the years (if I'm actually addressing the correct person)."

J. Zeiders

Sorry for the delay in responding back but I was out of town traveling and usually only get on the site when I am at home and loafing.
I have read the posts following this between you and Gator.
I had second thoughts about asking you the question, did not intend for it to sound hostile, and I kind of guessed your response (because of how the rest of you post actually read). And indeed your reply was very well thought out and very understandable. I agree with Frank's comment and now I am really glad I asked it because I think you explained how one can have the perspective you described in a healthy manner. And by the way, I really did like the way Owen wrestled the matches I saw him wrestle.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:18 pm

vortexfan wrote:What happened with the WV duals? Not sure who administered the WV duals but that went from something special years ago to no duals now?

The WV Duals is going down Thursday, December 21st at ROAC.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Im happy to see Zach Collins back on the mat.
Someone said a few years ago this could be the best team
WV high school wrestling has ever had.
That prediction is looking good so far.

TheDonald

Postby TheDonald » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am

After their dominating performance in Tennessee South has now made it into the Top 40, coming in at 39 on Intermat.

Return to “High School Wrestling”