LKC Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

LKC Tournament

Postby admin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 am

Where is this year's LKC Tournament? Somewhere I heard at Williamstown, somewhere I heard at Doddridge.
Doc
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

wvuptc

Re: LKC Tournament

Postby wvuptc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am

It is at Doddridge this year. Williamstown passed on their opportunity to host. According to the LKC meeting, they were concerned about their parking at that time (not sure why). However, for some reason it was moved to February 8. For as long as I can remember, the LKC has always been on the first Saturday in February.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:10 pm

wvuptc wrote:It is at Doddridge this year. Williamstown passed on their opportunity to host. According to the LKC meeting, they were concerned about their parking at that time (not sure why). However, for some reason it was moved to February 8. For as long as I can remember, the LKC has always been on the first Saturday in February.

I was at Williamstown last season for AA/A region 4. 16-17 schools worth of wrestlers' family and fans persevered. The only problem was the concession stand ran out of hot dogs (they were very good). They went out and bought more and ran out again. They then refused to buy more despite plenty of wrestling time left. Afraid of leftovers was what the head cook told me.

Another challenge for the coaches' committee to address.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm

wvuptc wrote:It is at Doddridge this year. Williamstown passed on their opportunity to host. According to the LKC meeting, they were concerned about their parking at that time (not sure why). However, for some reason it was moved to February 8. For as long as I can remember, the LKC has always been on the first Saturday in February.

Whereas the Single A Challenge is being held on January 31st and February 1st, and whereas there are some single A schools in the LKC, the decision makers have dumped tradition and did what they need to do to keep WV high school wrestling afloat and hopefully moving forward.

Great move to all concerned. I hope we can get all of these major scheduling conflicts resolved.

The WSAZ and OVAC got their heads right in 2020. I hope they can keep them right going forward.

wvuptc

Postby wvuptc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Whereas the Single A Challenge is being held on January 31st and February 1st, and whereas there are some single A schools in the LKC, the decision makers have dumped tradition and did what they need to do to keep WV high school wrestling afloat and hopefully moving forward.

Great move to all concerned. I hope we can get all of these major scheduling conflicts resolved.

The WSAZ and OVAC got their heads right in 2020. I hope they can keep them right going forward.

Bearhugger, the Single A Challenge was voted on last year to be on February 7-8. So, when this went down, they had to take the Jan. 31-Feb. 1st date. Unfortunatley, this will leave Williamstown out of the Challenge due to the Bob Zide Tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 pm

wvuptc wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Bearhugger, the Single A Challenge was voted on last year to be on February 7-8. So, when this went down, they had to take the Jan. 31-Feb. 1st date. Unfortunatley, this will leave Williamstown out of the Challenge due to the Bob Zide Tournament.

As I recall, the Williamstown Bob Zide tournament has been in conflict with the Single A Challenge every season since the Single A Challenge began.

In addition, I believe Williamstown has never participated in the Single A Challenge. Furthermore, the Bob Zide continues to struggle each season.

Now, I am not trying to criticize, but perhaps moving the Bob Zide to another weekend and giving it an opportunity to grow is the better course of action. Keeping tradition doesn't equate to growth or even survival.

The word on the street is a few Single A teams are not attending the Single A Challenge in 2020. Greenbrier West (2019 Single A State Champions) didn't attend. I hope all of the decision makers keep their finger on the pulse of these two tournaments.

Good luck to all. Its the battle of the fittest. Even the military is breaking tradition and upgrading their fitness test so our troops can be battle ready.

Return to “High School Wrestling”