AAA P4P rankings

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
OuttheBackDoor

AAA P4P rankings

Postby OuttheBackDoor » Fri May 14, 2021 11:47 am

trying to get some post-high school season chatter going, what do your 2021 AAA pound for pound rankings look like? Who will be sneaking into them next season?
Feel free to pick mine apart

1. Gage Wright, Parkersburg South (24-0)
2. Gavin Quiocho, Parkersburg South (22-1)
3. Ethan Hardy, Washington (11-0)
4. Michael Dolan, Spring Mills (17-0)
5. AJ Dempsey, Huntington (8-0)
6. Stevie Mitchell, Wheeling Park (21-1)
7. Brayden Johnson, Parkersburg South (23-1)
8. Matthew Dolan, Spring Mills (17-0)
9. Parker Bentley, Musselman (26-1)
10. Elijah Edge, St. Albans (22-0)
11. Erick Brothers, Wheeling Park (21-1)
12. Charlie Tamburin, Wheeling Park (17-1)
13. Patrick Jackson, Spring Mills (15-2)
14. Dom Parker, University (19-2)
15. Nate Cox, Ripley (20-5)
16. Brady Roberts, Parkersburg South (21-2)
17. Moses Eads, St. Albans (13-3)
18. Luca Felix, University (18-3)
19. Nate Shelek, Wheeling Park (15-3)
20. Matthew McAfee, St. Albans (20-3)

Doyablameme?

Re: AAA P4P rankings

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Not bad. But I think Hardy and Mitchell are ranked too high.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 pm

Pound for pound is so tough to rank because they can't actually wrestle each other. So you can only go by how much they dominated their class. Was there anyone close to them in their class? Going on only what I saw at the state tourney I would think Gage would be at the top of that list. I also thing Dolan would be a close second.

Heath

Postby Heath » Sat May 15, 2021 12:01 am

Brothers above Edge. Didn’t he beat him freshman year for the title?

OuttheBackDoor

Postby OuttheBackDoor » Sun May 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Heath wrote:Brothers above Edge. Didn’t he beat him freshman year for the title?

I struggled how to place Brothers, Edge, and Bentley. All being at 182 last year and finishing 1, 2 and 4 made it tough. All had dominate seasons in 2021, Brothers took a loss to Bentley this year. I didn’t see any common opponents between Edge and Bentley this season. Edge had beaten him last year, but Bentley holds a 2021 win over another state champ so I gave him the nod and put brothers behind both despite having a win over edge last year and being a 2x champ now

South83

Postby South83 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 am

Can't say I disagree with the number 1 on the list. Very dominant in the state, and does well at the highest levels outside of the state. Fargo is a real good indicator of what kind of wrestler you have.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm

This may not be a popular post but here's the truth

What do the wrestlers on this AAA P4P list want to get out of wrestling? A state title? A great record? Local recognition? They are all well on their way to all of those things.

What if they want to wrestle Div 1? What if they want to be nationally ranked by someone other than an organization that their coach sends in nominations? What if they want to wrestle for the US?

For the first time in a long time WV doesn't have a single wrestler ranked in Flo or Rokfin. I don't blame the wrestlers, coaches, or WVSSAC for the mess America is in they could not help that major tournaments were cancelled and other states were on a different schedule, our WV wrestlers were in a situation that because they did not win Super 32 or Ironman or Fargo in previous years, a purely WV schedule in 2020 did not lend itself to earning a place in Flo or Rokfin's rankings. Good news is that the upcoming list of Ironman and Powerade entries has more of the WV teams risking their studs "records" to wrestle in Ironman, Beast, Powerade this coming year. In past years it was very disappointing to see teams elect to keep their national caliber wrestlers at home, wrestling dual tournaments where they went unchallenged, while Ironman, Beast, and Powerade were within a reasonable drive. If the studs are setting their goals at the state and local level, then by all means stay at those local duals and try to set pin records, but if the studs have loftier goals, then the school has a duty to get them to the best national in season tournaments and the parents have a duty to get them to the best national tournaments in the off season.

On the bright side some of the wrestlers chose wrestling the 2020 Super 32 over attending a dance this year. On the other side WV did not have a good showing at 2020 Super 32. Hopefully the 2020 results will light a fire in this off season and WV will win some Belts at Super 32 2021 his fall.

South83 mentioned Fargo. Does this group do freestyle and greco? It was discouraging that the UWW Cadet Team Trials happened a few weeks ago without a single wrestler entered from WV. As for Fargo, none on the P4P list have won more than a match or two at Fargo, most have never gone. Who will go this year?

South83

Postby South83 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 am

I think Covid has really disrupted a lot of things in many ways. Maybe as things open up, we will see more activity. I went to the Jr. Nationals in the summer of 82. It was an eye opening experience. I hope kids continue, and are able to take advantage of those kinds of opportunities.

Heath

Postby Heath » Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm

OuttheBackDoor wrote:
Heath wrote:Brothers above Edge. Didn’t he beat him freshman year for the title?

I struggled how to place Brothers, Edge, and Bentley. All being at 182 last year and finishing 1, 2 and 4 made it tough. All had dominate seasons in 2021, Brothers took a loss to Bentley this year. I didn’t see any common opponents between Edge and Bentley this season. Edge had beaten him last year, but Bentley holds a 2021 win over another state champ so I gave him the nod and put brothers behind both despite having a win over edge last year and being a 2x champ now

I’m sure you know better than I do. I don’t know their season records or h2h this year. I just knew that brothers won over edge as a freshman and he won it again albeit a different weight. I appreciate the response. I was kind of supervised to see edge still at 182. I just thought he’d be getting better for football.

I hope Flynn has the number 1 kid in his sights. What weight does he project to be in college? 157 would be nice.

REDGE

Postby REDGE » Sun May 30, 2021 6:21 pm

Edge weighed in at 167 at states his freshmen year for the 182 class. He placed 2nd! Edge got back to 200lbs for his jr. year of football. Edge was right at 182 for states this year. And who knows what he weighs now!!!! He plans to wrestle 182 his junior year. Don’t worry about his weight he’ll be just fine for football.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:11 pm

REDGE wrote:Edge weighed in at 167 at states his freshmen year for the 182 class. He placed 2nd! Edge got back to 200lbs for his jr. year of football. Edge was right at 182 for states this year. And who knows what he weighs now!!!! He plans to wrestle 182 his junior year. Don’t worry about his weight he’ll be just fine for football.

Just curious. I didn't check the regular season from 2019-20, so I don't know what he did throughout that year. Was he wrestling at 182 as a freshman because the feeling was that he had a better shot there than against Dempsey at 170? I do agree with the above explanation from 'OuttheBackDoor', because this is a P4P ranking and for this year, that the loss by Brothers to Bentley would be a significant factor in placing Brothers behind Bentley and Edge. Another question would be whether Edge should be above Bentley. The one common opponent I saw them wrestle was Ayden Edwards of South and Edge was significantly more dominant in their encounter.

REDGE

Postby REDGE » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:22 pm

He wrestled all year at 182 and only got so lite b/c he got sick probably Covid a week before states. Again he dropped from 200 his freshman year at football to wrestling season.
Thank you for the concern

REDGE

Postby REDGE » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Brothers only lost to Bently due to an injury. He just beat him this past weekend by pin at VA duals.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:14 am

Thanks for filling in the blanks. One of the problem with rankings of any kind is that it always helps to actually have all the information available in order to make them accurately.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:10 pm

REDGE wrote:He wrestled all year at 182 and only got so lite b/c he got sick probably Covid a week before states. Again he dropped from 200 his freshman year at football to wrestling season.

Bono and The Edge walk into a Bar... the bartender says ... oh no not U2 again!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
REDGE wrote:He wrestled all year at 182 and only got so lite b/c he got sick probably Covid a week before states. Again he dropped from 200 his freshman year at football to wrestling season.

Bono and The Edge walk into a Bar... the bartender says ... oh no not U2 again!

What bar?

Return to “High School Wrestling”