Bear Tracks - 106 to 126 Preseason

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Bear Tracks - 106 to 126 Preseason

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:44 pm

BEAR TRACKS 2021- 2022

Edition – Preseason

Date of Issue: November 30th, 2021

1. Wrestlers are ranked per established criteria. Ranking will change as head to head matches occur, wrestlers change weight classes and when a wrestler enters into action.
2. All regional head to head matches are now deemed significant. These matches will be tracked under each regional heading.
3. All other significant matches will be recorded as last season.
4. There will be a few non-ranked wrestlers “perched” down under their region heading. This is where non-state tournament wrestlers and freshman will be placed until they win matches to justify ranking. Look for this area to grow.

Weight Classes: 106 through 126.

106 AA/A
1 Perdue/Independence/Champion/R3
2 Boland/Elkins/Runner Up/R2
3 Davis/Oak Glen/Third/R1
4 High/Sissonville/Q2/R4
5 Wasmer/Williamstown/Q2/R4
6 NcCune/Tyler Consolidated/Q/R1

106 AA /A Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Hughes/Frankfort
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4
Short/Buffalo

106 AAA
1 Dolan/Spring Mills/Champion/R2
2 Salmons/Cabell Midland/Q1/R4
3 Finley/Princeton/Q/R3/QOP 18
4 Ash/St. Albans/Q/R3/QOP 13

106 AAA Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4

113 AA/A
1 Carpenter/East Fairmont/Fourth/R1
2 Wood/Point Pleasant/Fifth/R4
3 Huffman/Tyler Consolidated/Q/QOP 15
4 Short/Buffalo/Q/QOP 10
5 Schilling/Winfield/Q/QOP 8
6 Bryan/Cameron/Q/QOP 6
7 Taylor/Independence/Q/QOP 3

113 AA/A Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4

113 AAA
1 Payne/St. Albans/Fourth/R3
2 Spohn/Morgantown/Sixth/R1
3 Chapman/Hurricane/Q1/R4/QOP 12
4 Perry/Spring Mills/Q1/R2/QOP 8
5 Timberlake/Musselman/Q/R2

113 AAA Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Pack/Riverside
Region 4

120 AA/A
1 Morgan/Liberty Harrison/Fifth/R2
2 Minger/Clay/Sixth/R2/QOP 16
3 Corbin/Hoover/Sixth/R3/QOP 12
4 Jones/Frankfort/Q2/R1
5 Blessing/Point Pleasant/Q1/R4/QOP 14
6 Lilly/Greenbrier West/Q1/R3/QOP 9
7 Thomas/Nicholas County/Q1/R3/QOP 2

120 AAA Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4

120 AAA
1 Bosley/Parkersburg South/Runner Up/R4
2 Cook/John Marshall/Third/R1
3 Carmen/Wheeling Park/Fifth/R1
4 Garcia/Buckhannon Upshur/Sixth/R1
5 Giordano/St. Albans/Q1/R3/QOP 10
6 Martin/Greenbrier East/Q1/R3/QOP 10
7 Sergent/Riverside/Q1/R3/QOP 9
8 Tachoir/Martinsburg/Q1/R2/QOP 7
9 Eltringham/Brooke/Q/R1

120 AAA Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Herndon
Region 3
Region 4

126 AA/A
1 Jones/Fairmont Senior/Champion/R1
2 High/Sissonville/Fourth/R4
3 Sampson/Calhoun County/Sixth/R4
4 Guy/Keyser/Q1/R1/QOP 18
5 Balis/Wirt County/Q1/R4/QOP 12
6 Zombotti/Magnolia/Q1/R1/QOP 12
7 Spragg/Paden City/Q/R1/QOP 17
8 Spitzer/Moorefield/Q/R2/QOP 17

126 AA/A Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4
Andrick/Point Pleasant

126 AAA
1 Roberts/Parkersburg South/Runner Up/R4
2 Mcafee/St. Albans/Third/R3
3 Hoffman/Spring Mills/Third/R2
4 Hatfield/Princeton/Fifth/R3
5 Slack/Riverside/Q2/R3/QOP 16
6 Ryan/University/Q2/R1/QOP 5
7 Hartman/Martinsburg/Q/R2

126 AAA Regional Significant Matches:
Region 1
Region 2
Region 3
Region 4
Last edited by Bearhugger on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Re: Bear Tracks - 106 to 126 Preseason

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:04 am

Question to Bearhugger.
Who is Ash from St. Albans, ranked at 106. You have him listed as a qualifier from region 3 but I cannot find him and I even looked to see if he possibly was a transfer from another team but still couldn't find him?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:49 am

KDunbar wrote:Question to Bearhugger.
Who is Ash from St. Albans, ranked at 106. You have him listed as a qualifier from region 3 but I cannot find him and I even looked to see if he possibly was a transfer from another team but still couldn't find him?

Great question. He is a she. Samantha Ash of St. Albans. She placed 6th out of 6 in Region 3 at 132. Evidently something happened to two of the top 4 and she moved up. She out survived the competition and got into the state tournament.

She then opened the state tournament against Luca Felix, the eventual runner up.

The word on the street is she is going 106 this season.

She is a WV Girls' state champ and also a runner up.

Based on what I added above, she might be either Wonder Woman, Super Girl or Calamity Jane.

Some of these goofus boys should be asking her to the prom asap!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:17 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

Great question. He is a she. Samantha Ash of St. Albans. She placed 6th out of 6 in Region 3 at 132. Evidently something happened to two of the top 4 and she moved up. She out survived the competition and got into the state tournament.

She then opened the state tournament against Luca Felix, the eventual runner up.

The word on the street is she is going 106 this season.

She is a WV Girls' state champ and also a runner up.

Based on what I added above, she might be either Wonder Woman, Super Girl or Calamity Jane.

Some of these goofus boys should be asking her to the prom asap!

CORRECTION. The name is Caitlynn! Samantha is the mother that stands behind this incredible grappler. All I know is "Ash" of St. Albans and I try to keep up with what she does. Ash is the result of fire.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:46 pm

Thanks, never thought lto look under the girls scores and obviously didn't scan the state brackets, at least not at 132. I now know who she is, she just pinned her opponent from South in the last match of the dual to cement St. Albans' victory 39-33 and that's despite Edward's of South beating Edge in a hard fought match.

proy1276

Postby proy1276 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 am

KDunbar wrote:Thanks, never thought lto look under the girls scores and obviously didn't scan the state brackets, at least not at 132. I now know who she is, she just pinned her opponent from South in the last match of the dual to cement St. Albans' victory 39-33 and that's despite Edward's of South beating Edge in a hard fought match.

Was awesome to see.. and the Edwards/Edge score was not how the match played out.. 2 points were awarded from “technicals” from what I seen, should be a great matchup the next time those GRAPPLE again!!

Great post!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:21 am

proy1276 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Thanks, never thought lto look under the girls scores and obviously didn't scan the state brackets, at least not at 132. I now know who she is, she just pinned her opponent from South in the last match of the dual to cement St. Albans' victory 39-33 and that's despite Edward's of South beating Edge in a hard fought match.

Was awesome to see.. and the Edwards/Edge score was not how the match played out.. 2 points were awarded from “technicals” from what I seen, should be a great matchup the next time those GRAPPLE again!!

Great post!!

Not meaning to be confrontational here, but not sure what you mean by saying the score of the Edwards/Edge match was not how the match played out. The score was exactly how the match played out. There was a penalty point awarded Edwards for an illegal action and then another point awarded for arguing with the official over a call, as I saw it. In any case, the score was exactly how the match played out. Now if you mean that the next time there won't be a penalty point or the unsportsmanlike infraction, I hope you are right. I have seen Elijah wrestle several times and I do believe that this was uncharacteristic for him, and he didn't really behave that bad, just made those two mistakes. I even saw his father show good sportsmanship and applaud the move when Edwards scored the final takedown to seal the victory. Interestingly, if South's 106 had pinned Ash and tied the score, I believe that infraction called against Elijah would have been the criteria used to award the match to South. But he didn't and St. Albans won. The next meeting between the 2 could possibly be at the WSAZ or maybe at the AAA State Duals held at the Greenbriar. Then there's always the State tournament way off in the future.

Of note, my reporting of the score being 39-33 was incorrect. That was the score heading into the final match, with the pin making the final score actually 45-33. It was good to see a good close match and the wrestlers on all 4 teams looked good, especially for the first match of the season.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:09 am

Caitlynn Ash is a wrestler… period. She has good mat presence, knows when to attack, knows her counters, and when taken lightly she will lay the smack down, ala Sammy Miller. She is not a novelty, she’s not a girl who wants try wrestling, she’s not a student filling a gap for the team. She is a wrestler. She’s the real deal.

Reese Kelley is a wrestler who had a fine middle school career and was a finalist for wrestler of the year in Wood County. He will need a little time to adjust to the High School level but is a talented wrestler that will be successful.

It’s usually the heavyweights who decide the outcome of a dual so we saw a little role reversal last nights with the lightweights.

We should see both wrestlers in action on Saturday at the state tournament.

St. Albans vs South with Ripley and Hurricane was a great kickoff to the season. Thanks to all the teams involved. It was a fun evening to see some live action.

And thanks to Bearhugger for his preseason rankings. Accurate or not there was several of us using them as reference throughout the evening. Like them or hate them, it’s a great resource to have available along with WVMAT.

mscoach6

Postby mscoach6 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Well said Brent, well said.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:34 am

Appreciate Brent's information. I was just "looking in all the wrong places". This is not taking anything away from Caitlyn in any manner, but I felt a little sorry for Reese in his first evening of High School wrestling being put in a situation where the match "seemed" to be put on his shoulders. Of course it was not, as it is always either a team win or loss. I felt like he was in a position where he had to risk a lot just trying for the pin and maybe not wrestling just to win, if you know what I mean. You know, looking for the "home run" instead of the base hit and therefore taking some risks he ordinarily wouldn't. Again not trying to diminish anything that Caitlyn did whatsoever. I agree it will be fun to watch them go at it again in the future. As Bearhugger is apt to say, it was great watching the Duel between South and St, Albans at their Dual during the Quad.

On another note, who could actually hate his rankings if you read his rules and logic. Basically if you don't finish ahead of somebody or beat them head to head, you don't get ranked ahead of them. No emotional bias involved (unless your team was forced out due to COVID ;) ). You may not agree with them or find them useful if that's your way of thinking, but there's nothing to hate.

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:02 am

Well said Brent, she did more than she needed to secure the win. I love Bearhuggers non bias rankings throughout the season. Keep up the good work!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:07 am

justwrestle wrote:Well said Brent, she did more than she needed to secure the win. I love Bearhuggers non bias rankings throughout the season. Keep up the good work!

Here is how you and all readers can thank me. Ensure your team posts their scores.

If the coach is too lazy or thinks its a waste of time, then review the rankings and send me the results. I need results to provide rankings each week.

Thanks

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 am

KDunbar wrote:Appreciate Brent's information. I was just "looking in all the wrong places". This is not taking anything away from Caitlyn in any manner, but I felt a little sorry for Reese in his first evening of High School wrestling being put in a situation where the match "seemed" to be put on his shoulders. Of course it was not, as it is always either a team win or loss. I felt like he was in a position where he had to risk a lot just trying for the pin and maybe not wrestling just to win, if you know what I mean. You know, looking for the "home run" instead of the base hit and therefore taking some risks he ordinarily wouldn't. Again not trying to diminish anything that Caitlyn did whatsoever. I agree it will be fun to watch them go at it again in the future. As Bearhugger is apt to say, it was great watching the Duel between South and St, Albans at their Dual during the Quad.

On another note, who could actually hate his rankings if you read his rules and logic. Basically if you don't finish ahead of somebody or beat them head to head, you don't get ranked ahead of them. No emotional bias involved (unless your team was forced out due to COVID ;) ). You may not agree with them or find them useful if that's your way of thinking, but there's nothing to hate.

Some people hate facts. Or, they hate me. Either way, keep those grapplers on the mat, healthy and out of trouble. KEEP the results flowing.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:18 am

KDunbar wrote:Appreciate Brent's information. I was just "looking in all the wrong places". This is not taking anything away from Caitlyn in any manner, but I felt a little sorry for Reese in his first evening of High School wrestling being put in a situation where the match "seemed" to be put on his shoulders. Of course it was not, as it is always either a team win or loss. I felt like he was in a position where he had to risk a lot just trying for the pin and maybe not wrestling just to win, if you know what I mean. You know, looking for the "home run" instead of the base hit and therefore taking some risks he ordinarily wouldn't. Again not trying to diminish anything that Caitlyn did whatsoever. I agree it will be fun to watch them go at it again in the future. As Bearhugger is apt to say, it was great watching the Duel between South and St, Albans at their Dual during the Quad.

The previous 13 matches put both 106 pound wrestlers in the position they were in. All wrestlers who competed for all four schools did better than all of the wrestlers that quit the sport this season, last season or back in middle school.

Return to “High School Wrestling”