Regional Tournaments

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
standincoach

Regional Tournaments

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:30 am

Are they seeded?

standincoach

Re: Regional Tournaments

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 am

Im asking because as I see the brackets being posted here on WVMAT I see the two best wrestlers in a region on the same side of the bracket? And I noticed that just by clicking the region my mouse was hovering over as I randomly clicked a region.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm

standincoach wrote:Im asking because as I see the brackets being posted here on WVMAT I see the two best wrestlers in a region on the same side of the bracket? And I noticed that just by clicking the region my mouse was hovering over as I randomly clicked a region.

Give us an example please.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:42 pm

I had to go back and look because I truly just randomly clicked and scrolled the brackets. BUT it was Region II A/AA and the weight I scrolled to after 106 happened to be 160. They have the Elkins and Grafton kid on the same side of the bracket. Maybe im missing out on where the Braxton County kid fits into the equation because I am unfamiliar.

SMC

Postby SMC » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:44 pm

From the WVSSAC website:

WVSSAC
Regional Wrestling Championships
2021-2022 Seeding Criteria

1. Head-to-Head
2. Common Opponent
3. Previous Season High School State Placer (Higher Place gets Higher Seed)
4. One season removed from previous season High School State Placer (Higher Place gets Higher Seed)
5. Previous Season Regional Champion
6. Current Season Varsity Win Percentage to Date (*Must have 10 Matches Minimum*)
7. Previous Season High School State Qualifier
8. High School State Qualifier one season removed from previous season
9. If tied and the wrestlers competed head-to-head, most recent win gets Higher Seed

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:09 pm

standincoach wrote:I had to go back and look because I truly just randomly clicked and scrolled the brackets. BUT it was Region II A/AA and the weight I scrolled to after 106 happened to be 160. They have the Elkins and Grafton kid on the same side of the bracket. Maybe im missing out on where the Braxton County kid fits into the equation because I am unfamiliar.

So , your statement of the “ two best wrestlers “ was based on their records… hmmmmm

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Doyablameme? wrote:
standincoach wrote:I had to go back and look because I truly just randomly clicked and scrolled the brackets. BUT it was Region II A/AA and the weight I scrolled to after 106 happened to be 160. They have the Elkins and Grafton kid on the same side of the bracket. Maybe im missing out on where the Braxton County kid fits into the equation because I am unfamiliar.

So , your statement of the “ two best wrestlers “ was based on their records… hmmmmm

Sure :D :D But I’m not a casual and I won’t debate. I’m asking for answers because I’m new to the State. I’ve seen many matches through out the State this season so I’m not just saying what benefits anyone I know because well I don’t know anyone or have any ties to anything in WV.

No matter what the better person that day will win. I just want to educate myself on what WV does. Ive lived in 8 States and frequent 2 others further West and WV is pretty confusing maybe because it seems unorganized? Which is weird since it borders PA and OH. And “the best” comment was my personal opinion. Good for you and yours and by all means if you have useful info to provide id like to read it. If not, thanks for the reply
Last edited by standincoach on Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:21 pm

SMC wrote:From the WVSSAC website:

WVSSAC

1. Head-to-Head
2. Common Opponent
4. One season removed from previous season High School State Placer (Higher Place gets Higher Seed)
6. Current Season Varsity Win Percentage to Date (*Must have 10 Matches Minimum*)
9. If tied and the wrestlers competed head-to-head, most recent win gets Higher Seed

Thank you! I’ll do some more research!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:30 pm

PLEASE SEE MY QUESTIONS BELOW. SOMEBODY OR MANY PEOPLE RESPOND. SIMPLY SEEKING CLARITY.

WVSSAC

1. Head-to-Head
2. Common Opponent JUST HOW IS THIS DEFINED AND WHERE ARE BOUNDRIES DRAWN?

We should review and discuss this "one season removed from previous season" criteria and possibly move it down toward the bottom of the Totem Pole.

Seeding criteria should focus on the current season first, last season next, two plus seasons ago last. Actually, if regional seeds cannot be determined without digging into two seasons ago, then some schools have been staying too close to home, wrestling nobody and do not deserve #1 or #2 seeds.

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:08 am

standincoach wrote:

WVSSAC

1. Head-to-Head
2. Common Opponent

Hey I appreciate the info you gave. After looking it over the bracket I mentioned couldve had the Braxton or Elkins kid at 1 and the Grafton kid at 3. Doesnt seem like Elkins wrestled much this season and has a pretty thin wrestling room

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:34 am

standincoach wrote:
standincoach wrote:

WVSSAC

1. Head-to-Head
2. Common Opponent

Hey I appreciate the info you gave. After looking it over the bracket I mentioned couldve had the Braxton or Elkins kid at 1 and the Grafton kid at 3. Doesnt seem like Elkins wrestled much this season and has a pretty thin wrestling room

Based on the intel I got yesterday, these Elkins grapplers are worthy of all of our applause. I will leave it there.

Return to “High School Wrestling”