Open Tournaments while on MS roster

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Jchap8750

Open Tournaments while on MS roster

Postby Jchap8750 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am

I see on the results that there are some kids that are on middle school teams that are wrestling in open/youth tournaments. Is this allowed?

Goherd989

Re: Open Tournaments while on MS roster

Postby Goherd989 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:05 am

Unless the rules have changed in last couple of years; the answer is yes. However, you can’t be coached by your MS coach, can’t wear school singlet, and can’t miss a school practice or scheduled meet to attend the open event. Happens all the time.

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:41 pm

I always also had my wrestlers get a permission slip signed by the coach and school principal

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Jchap8750 wrote:I see on the results that there are some kids that are on middle school teams that are wrestling in open/youth tournaments. Is this allowed?

§127-2-10. Non-school Participation.
During a WVSSAC established sport season and while a member of a school team, a student shall neither participate, which includes, but is not limited to, fund-raising activities, team picture, tryouts, etc., on any formally organized non-school team in the same sport, nor shall the student compete as an individual unattached in non-school formally organized competition in the same sport. The following sports are exempted from the provisions of this rule: cross country, golf, swimming, tennis, track, and wrestling, provided that:
-participation is approved by the student's principal;
-and the student misses no school-sponsored athletic contest involving a team in that sport.

A student may participate as a member of a national team (and the actual, direct tryouts thereof) which is defined as: one selected by the national governing body of the sport; while representing the National Federation in an International Schoolsport Federation; as a representative of the United States in recognized national or international events; a qualifier for the West Virginia Golf Association's Amateur Championship or the United States Golf Association's United States Amateur Championship; or the USA Swimming Junior National Championship.

all can be found here
https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?ur ... 56835f21f8

which is linked from WVSSAC site here
https://www.wvssac.org/rules-and-regulations/

Linslymiddleschool

Postby Linslymiddleschool » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:07 pm

I think this is a stupid rule. As long as it doesn’t interfere with a school event let them go. It’s middle school for crying out loud. Also the WVSSAC doesn’t even have a state tournament for them so allow them to do what they want. I would and plenty do.

mscoach25

Postby mscoach25 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:19 pm

If you actually read the rule, the rule does ALLOW them to participate.

Linslymiddleschool

Postby Linslymiddleschool » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:24 pm

mscoach25 wrote:If you actually read the rule, the rule does ALLOW them to participate.

I read it wrong my mistake. Sorry about that. I was going to say lol

Return to “High School Wrestling”