Souths 2017 lineup

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
fakebrentsams

Souths 2017 lineup

Postby fakebrentsams » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

With no hit of graduation south has everyone back.. South 160-285 classes are very solid! I hear Braxton Amos is a stud and potential 4 timer. Very excited to see him wrestle. He wrestled 190 as an 8th grader. Where is he gonna wrestle at 220? Any other incoming freshman gonna challenge to start? South should sell tickets for wrestle offs!! Obviously a good problem to have!!

Bearhugger

Re: Souths 2017 lineup

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:49 pm

They could end up with a weight class where both the starter and the JV counterpart could be state champions.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Really impressed with Souths talent this year, I actually thought maybe all of South weight classes would place this year at states. Tough team to be a starter but maybe they will bring the JV or B team next year for tournaments too. Does WVSSAC permit that?

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:05 pm

The biggest tournament that allows JV teams is the WSAZ tournament. Several teams have JV teams there. There are others too.
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm

WSAZ is great tourney for JVs to compete, if South has a solid JV team they should set up some matches with other programs. I hear some other schools have some really good JV wrestlers too, just hate to see good wrestlers not able to compete when they very well could place high. I know Cab Midland and Indy has a few but would have to think South does. Nice for a team program to have that problem but tough for kids to stay with it. This years South team looked solid from top to bottom. Cant wait til next year to see how it all turns out.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:59 am

How about an unofficial JV state tourney between the regionals and states? Perhaps someone smarter than me can tell me if that would be allowed under WVSSAC rules. It could be a money maker for a school willing to host such an event. My guess it wouldn't be allowed since it would be after regionals. Would it be feasible before regionals?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:35 pm

mscoach4 wrote:How about an unofficial JV state tourney between the regionals and states? Perhaps someone smarter than me can tell me if that would be allowed under WVSSAC rules. It could be a money maker for a school willing to host such an event. My guess it wouldn't be allowed since it would be after regionals. Would it be feasible before regionals?

I have never heard that idea before but I like it.

With the big gaps most programs have in the lineup, these gaps then transfer to the tournaments each weekend. Some wrestlers wrestle only 2 matches on the way to winning a weekend tournament.

These gaps need to be filled with JV wrestlers...............every weekend.

As for a JV state tournament, that is thinking outside of the box. I doubt anybody will make it happen. However, it is a great idea. They could do it on Wednesday before the actual state tournament.

Wednesday: JV state tournament

Thursday morning: Regional 5th place winner vs. regional 4th place winner. Winner of this match meets regional champion Thursday evening.

Friday & Saturday: State tournament follows current agenda.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Ready to watch Braxton Amos on his bid for 4 titles. Kid is tough as nails!

south 77

Postby south 77 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Tickets go on sale soon for practice session 14 main events

MatUnoffcial

Postby MatUnoffcial » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:34 pm

vortexfan wrote:Really impressed with Souths talent this year, I actually thought maybe all of South weight classes would place this year at states. Tough team to be a starter but maybe they will bring the JV or B team next year for tournaments too. Does WVSSAC permit that?

Their "inherited talent" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah you think WVmat is your ally? You merely adopted the forum. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see actual wrestling until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Possibly inherited talent but they were a stronger team at the end of year than they were early JAN. Still believe their coach should have been "coach of the year!"
Great feeder programs sure but still have to keep it together with hard work.

south 77

Postby south 77 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 am

they did not give it to a women for winning a title last year. So you knew Shaun was not going to get it this year. it is a hate thing about South .

Bucktail

Postby Bucktail » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

I am not a big fan of South's fans, they tend on the blowhard side of every point made. I respect their wrestling and Coach Smith, much more than some of their assistants, who seem to always have a different view point than the majority. I think Coach Smith deserved the award, fourteen underclassmen at one state tournament is an accomplishment, within the last set of Regions. I think it may become more common with the revised regions. However, I believe South's fans are partly responsible for Coach Smith's misfortune and Coach Archer's for winning. South always has high expectations, which are constantly touted by their fans, especially on this forum, and with good reason. Expectations were high this year and rightly so. Huntington was to have a down year and exceeded those expectations in many ways. Did south meet all of their expectations, not all of the one's espoused by their fans. It's weird, I felt like this South team wasn't as strong as people claimed it to be while Huntington was better than expected. South, you set your bar exceptionally high, and rightly so, but Huntington, you were fairly realistic and you exceeded those expectations. That how I vision it having played out. Just my opinion.

Refuse-to-lose

Postby Refuse-to-lose » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:39 pm

Bucktail......I totally agree with your opinion in this post. And, I'm not a fan of either program.....lol :D

MatUnoffcial

Postby MatUnoffcial » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:46 am

Mr Zeiders, I can't blame you for your frustrations with south's fans, but I'm definitely curious about that comment dealing with the assistant coaches. Care to expand?
Ah you think WVmat is your ally? You merely adopted the forum. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see actual wrestling until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

MalcomFlex

Postby MalcomFlex » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 pm

MatUnoffcial wrote:Mr Zeiders, I can't blame you for your frustrations with south's fans, but I'm definitely curious about that comment dealing with the assistant coaches. Care to expand?

I am curious of this as well??
"Gains by any means necessary."

Return to “High School Wrestling”