Kanawha County Championship

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
uknowme

Kanawha County Championship

Postby uknowme » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Couple of questions regarding this tournament. First, why hold this tournament and not require all high schools in the county to attend. Last year, St. Albans did not attend. For reasons I don't know. I understand why there is one, promote and highlight wrestling in the Kanawha Valley as such, but every high school should be required to attend. Are they all going to participate this year? I looked at the schedules and didn't see it listed on St. Albans schedule again this year. Also, which high school will it be located at this year? I have really enjoyed going over the last few years and watching this tournament. Yes, not every weight class has full brackets and they may not contain the most competitive wrestling the state has to offer but it is nice to see the kids in the Kanawha Valley wrestle each other and the seniors recognized for their accomplishments and dedication to the sport.

Bearhugger

Re: Kanawha County Championship

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Decades ago, this was a competitive tournament.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

aaacoach45

Postby aaacoach45 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 am

We are looking for a location to host the tournament this year. We hosted it at Hoover last year but as everybody knows Hoover is closed down due to the flood. Elkview is not available because of other events going on that day. I'm trying to contact other Kanawha County schools to see if one of them can host it. It's a good tournament and hopefully we can keep it going.

aaacoach18

Postby aaacoach18 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 am

The one and only reason St. Albans stopped attending the Counties is, we are charged 2 weigh ins for this tournament! As most Coaches know it doesn't make sense to send your kids to a tournament where u have a two man or three man round robin.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 am

aaacoach18 wrote:The one and only reason St. Albans stopped attending the Counties is, we are charged 2 weigh ins for this tournament! As most Coaches know it doesn't make sense to send your kids to a tournament where u have a two man or three man round robin.

Makes sense coach. Hard to justify wasting two weigh ins when kids may only get 1-2 matches throughout the whole day. Hopefully the numbers will climb throughout the programs in the county and this will no longer be an issue.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 pm

uknowme wrote:
aaacoach18 wrote:The one and only reason St. Albans stopped attending the Counties is, we are charged 2 weigh ins for this tournament! As most Coaches know it doesn't make sense to send your kids to a tournament where u have a two man or three man round robin.

Makes sense coach. Hard to justify wasting two weigh ins when kids may only get 1-2 matches throughout the whole day. Hopefully the numbers will climb throughout the programs in the county and this will no longer be an issue.

1. Getting the football coaches to quit misleading young kids and bad mouthing wrestling.

2. Get the middle schools to promote (or revive) wrestling in their schools.

aacoach119

Postby aacoach119 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 am

aaacoach45 wrote:We are looking for a location to host the tournament this year. We hosted it at Hoover last year but as everybody knows Hoover is closed down due to the flood. Elkview is not available because of other events going on that day. I'm trying to contact other Kanawha County schools to see if one of them can host it. It's a good tournament and hopefully we can keep it going.

Isn't the county's in rotation bye alphabet as too who hosts the tournament. If Hoover had it last year wouldn't it be Nitro's turn to host it?

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:02 am

aacoach114 wrote:
aaacoach45 wrote:We are looking for a location to host the tournament this year. We hosted it at Hoover last year but as everybody knows Hoover is closed down due to the flood. Elkview is not available because of other events going on that day. I'm trying to contact other Kanawha County schools to see if one of them can host it. It's a good tournament and hopefully we can keep it going.

Isn't the county's in rotation bye alphabet as too who hosts the tournament. If Hoover had it last year wouldn't it be Nitro's turn to host it?

Solved

Fan123456

Postby Fan123456 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 am

it was sissonvilles turn last year but they could not hold it so hoover took it for them

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

Bearhugger wrote:
uknowme wrote:

1. Getting the football coaches to quit misleading young kids and bad mouthing wrestling.

2. Get the middle schools to promote (or revive) wrestling in their schools.

This is a major problem. Some schools are able to fill a full team and even have JV. While others are only able to get 5-7 wrestlers out. I don't know if its the lack of support from the school or the area in which the school is located in (ex: schools known as basketball schools).

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't know that Nitro has been contacted, but with only 4 wrestlers, it was difficult to cover all needs for Pat Vance. I don't know that we would be able to host counties and do it justice. South Charleston practices at Nitro as they don't have facilities. That limits it. Hoover is out due to the flooding. St. Albans doesn't attend. That would leave Sissonville, GW, Capital and Riverside.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:33 pm

NhsMom wrote:I don't know that Nitro has been contacted, but with only 4 wrestlers, it was difficult to cover all needs for Pat Vance. I don't know that we would be able to host counties and do it justice. South Charleston practices at Nitro as they don't have facilities. That limits it. Hoover is out due to the flooding. St. Albans doesn't attend. That would leave Sissonville, GW, Capital and Riverside.

Does SC practice with Nitro because of lack of facilities or because they have such a small team, it makes more sense?

Years ago, SC practiced at their school and even hosted a weekend tournament.

I am not aware of the changes that could have happened over the decades. They might have got rid of their mat.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Sissonville was supposed to host last year but couldn't get the gym. Our wrestling team always has trouble getting their own gym. It seems that there is just not a lot of support for wrestling. Maybe that's the problem in the Valley. Sissonville is hosting the Cardinal Conference this year.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Well according to the front page of WVMAt and some schedules, the county tournament is suppose to take place Feb 11th. So hopefully they will work it out and someone will step up and host it. No offense, but I don't see Capital hosting the tournament and if Sissonville is already hosting the Cardinal and having trouble anyway getting their gym, guess its up to GW or Riverside.

snapshot

Postby snapshot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:19 pm

The George Washington Patriots girls basketball team has a home conference game vs. St. Albans on Saturday, February 11 @ 7:30p. We would never be permitted to use it before the game.

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Riverside will check with the administration and see if the facility is available. More to come.

deniserichmond

Postby deniserichmond » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:31 pm

To my knowledge Nitro was never contacted about hosting the tournament. We held it at the school a couple of years ago and given more notice could host again. At this point I am not sure we could get the gym. I am willing to help out whatever team is able to host the tournament at thier school. Just let me what is needed

Denise Richmond
Nitro Wrestling

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 am

I would have thought that the hosting school would have been decided last year before the school year ended.

Is there a middle school gym that could be used?

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 am

Bearhugger wrote:
NhsMom wrote:I don't know that Nitro has been contacted, but with only 4 wrestlers, it was difficult to cover all needs for Pat Vance. I don't know that we would be able to host counties and do it justice. South Charleston practices at Nitro as they don't have facilities. That limits it. Hoover is out due to the flooding. St. Albans doesn't attend. That would leave Sissonville, GW, Capital and Riverside.

Does SC practice with Nitro because of lack of facilities or because they have such a small team, it makes more sense?

Years ago, SC practiced at their school and even hosted a weekend tournament.

I am not aware of the changes that could have happened over the decades. They might have got rid of their mat.

I was my understanding that it was due to lack of facilities. It's the same for Nitro for track. They must go to St.Albans for practice for the high jumpers and some other events because we don't have the equipment.

Beast

Postby Beast » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:06 am

Any one thought about having it at the SC Rec. Center?

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm

You probably can't do itt this year but gas anyone thought about including the putman county schools and making it the Kanawha Valley Championship. That wouldmake it worth while for two weigh ins.

deniserichmond

Postby deniserichmond » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Any updates on this?

wvherd1

Postby wvherd1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

It was Capital's turn this year in the rotation as the administration was informed of the date at the end of last season. Over the summer I was informed that Capital could not host the tournament due to show choir competition. Sorry. I wish there was more support for wrestling by the administration and football coach at Capital. Its really a shame with the number of students and athletes at Capital.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 pm

sfc1 wrote:You probably can't do itt this year but gas anyone thought about including the putman county schools and making it the Kanawha Valley Championship. That wouldmake it worth while for two weigh ins.

I thought the same thing last night.

deniserichmond

Postby deniserichmond » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:30 pm

So are counties cancelled because there is no one to host them?

aaacoach63

Postby aaacoach63 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:10 pm

There is a girl basketball game at riverside they day, so riverside can't hold tournament!

aacoach119

Postby aacoach119 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am

Can Nitro host them this year? Hate to see this tournament leave the area.

sfc1

Postby sfc1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:37 am

All of the county coaches in the area need to get together and come to a solution whether its the Rec center, a middle school or something else. This tournament has a long standing tradition and is a good warm up for the regionals. Its also good to see all the wrestlers AA and AAA compete against the kids they grew up competing against in midget and middle schools. Come on coaches , our county needs this tournament

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 am

sfc1 wrote:All of the county coaches in the area need to get together and come to a solution whether its the Rec center, a middle school or something else. This tournament has a long standing tradition and is a good warm up for the regionals. Its also good to see all the wrestlers AA and AAA compete against the kids they grew up competing against in midget and middle schools. Come on coaches , our county needs this tournament

Hope it works out for the kids. I've always heard that football and basketball rules in Kanawha County. Good idea though sfc1.
Moderator WV Mat

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:04 pm

What about a coonskin. The old wvarng armory, they could make it a recruiting event and u might get the building for free

Return to “High School Wrestling”