Two underclassmen stand out at OVAC

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach61

Two underclassmen stand out at OVAC

Postby aacoach61 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Oak Glen Freshman Peyton Hall won the 126# championship Saturday over one of the top wrestlers in the state of Ohio, a senior returning state finalist.

Madonna sophomore Alex Cook overcame a #4 seed to knock off the #1 seed in the semifinals and then went on to claim the 132# title.

For his incredible wrestling, the OVAC coaches vote Peyton Hall the Bierkortte Award as the outstanding wrestler, which is quite an honor for a freshman. Approximately 40 of the conference's schools entered wrestlers in the tournament,

Look for these two underclassmen to emerge as a couple of the best in West Virginia over the next two years.

Wmc2

Re: Two underclassmen stand out at OVAC

Postby Wmc2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:59 am

Alec is my son. Peyton and Alec have been practice partners (same club) for years. I have watched those boys push each other so hard I thought they were going to fight, then laugh at each other and go again. Lol. They have great practice partners at their high schools and their club. I hope and expect to see big things for these two in the future.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:37 am

This is impressive, congrats guys!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 am

Congratulations to both young men. I know for certain that Peyton Hall's opponent in the finals, Shadyside's Greg Quinn, is a great wrestler and to defeat him was a great accomplishment. I'm impressed!
Moderator WV Mat

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Gator, I am glad to see you bring up those 2 young men from the OVAC regarding their performance on Saturday. I was simply amazed with both. Nice to see underdogs do well! As you mentioned, Mr. Quinn is a top notch wrestler in Ohio and he will rebound for the states, I hope. Nothing but good things to say about those 2 "underdogs". I am sure also that we will be hearing much more about them as the season progresses. Gator, couldn't find you at the OVACs, just wanted to say hey! Soupbone

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Seems that we always have some surprises at the OVAC tournament Soupbone. I've been down in the back and had an MRI yesterday. Couldn't make the drive to Wheeling this year. Hated it! Wanted to see my boy Hunter DeLong win his 4th title, but it wasn't in the cards.

Hopefully I'll get back on my feet for the Brooke Classic and state tournaments. God is good!

Hope to see you soon and keep on doing great things in Wheeling my friend!
Moderator WV Mat

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

God bless you Gator. Won't see you at regionals due to the change. I will be running the Region 1 tournament this year. Perhaps I may make it down Huntington, but something always can come up. Soupbone!

Return to “High School Wrestling”