AA/A Individual Rankings Stat of the Day

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach11

AA/A Individual Rankings Stat of the Day

Postby aaacoach11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

Interesting look at the new AA/A Individual rankings. I see only 14 kids from single A schools are ranked in the Top 6. Out of 84 predicted podium spots only 16.7% will hail from Single A schools. I would go out on a limb and set that number at 10 when its all said and done. Any thoughts?

baxter841

Re: AA/A Individual Rankings Stat of the Day

Postby baxter841 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

Here is the problem
There are a lot of single A teams that have pretty full rosters that many not advance wrestlers to the state tournament.
So the single A Team State Champion may only beat 3 or 4 teams ( depending on how many qualify) I looked up the cross country results and that is exactly how it turned out.
Lets face it, the A/AA regions are really loaded with a lot of good wrestlers.- especially some regions - like region 1.
I am really looking forward to the Single A championships held in Ritchie.
I believe that splitting into 3 classes will grow the sport in the smaller communities.
3 classes with maybe qualify the top 3 from each region, regional champions get 1st round byes of state tournament in a12 man brackets
just my opinion

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am

even better qualify the 3 from each region then get the other 4 from the at large tourney like mentioned in an earlier post.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Well, there are 67 AA/A teams, 29 of which are single A, however not all single A teams listed actually have a team. St. Joe Central and Meadow Bridge do not have teams, I don't think Man has a team yet either, and Bishop Donahue has no mention of a wrestling team on their list of offered athletics. So that makes single A teams just 39% of the AA/A teams that will be competing. Then when you factor that Greenbrier West is one of the few if not only single A team to have a full lineup then that reduces the likelihood of single A placing wrestlers even more.

Considering single A teams only make up slightly more than 1/3rd of the teams in AA/A and adding in that most single A teams only have somewhere between 4 and 10 wrestlers, single A placing 1 out of every 6 wrestlers on the podium seems like a pretty decent accomplishment to me.

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 pm

coach_williams wrote:Well, there are 67 AA/A teams, 29 of which are single A, however not all single A teams listed actually have a team. St. Joe Central and Meadow Bridge do not have teams, I don't think Man has a team yet either, and Bishop Donahue has no mention of a wrestling team on their list of offered athletics. So that makes single A teams just 39% of the AA/A teams that will be competing. Then when you factor that Greenbrier West is one of the few if not only single A team to have a full lineup then that reduces the likelihood of single A placing wrestlers even more.

Considering single A teams only make up slightly more than 1/3rd of the teams in AA/A and adding in that most single A teams only have somewhere between 4 and 10 wrestlers, single A placing 1 out of every 6 wrestlers on the podium seems like a pretty decent accomplishment to me.

Just so you know, Man does have a team this year and they are now AA, not A. This would actually help you prove your point.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Fantastic! Where have they wrestled? I have not seen any scores for them yet. How big is the team?

Frank

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Rage_Bear wrote:
coach_williams wrote:Well, there are 67 AA/A teams, 29 of which are single A, however not all single A teams listed actually have a team. St. Joe Central and Meadow Bridge do not have teams, I don't think Man has a team yet either, and Bishop Donahue has no mention of a wrestling team on their list of offered athletics. So that makes single A teams just 39% of the AA/A teams that will be competing. Then when you factor that Greenbrier West is one of the few if not only single A team to have a full lineup then that reduces the likelihood of single A placing wrestlers even more.

Just so you know, Man does have a team this year and they are now AA, not A. This would actually help you prove your point.

How about some info on them.
Tickled to have another team in completion in the state.
The more the merrier.

aaacoach11

Postby aaacoach11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Madonna may have half of the total single A placewinners.

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Frank wrote:
Rage_Bear wrote:

How about some info on them.
Tickled to have another team in completion in the state.
The more the merrier.

I think the head coach's name is Bob McCoy? Maybe... certain it is a McCoy. They have competed @ Liberty-Raleigh and Logan at least this year. They are holding a quad, I think, next weekend. They probably have between 8-10 wrestlers with a pretty solid heavyweight. That's about all I know of them, but I've seen them in a few locations thus far this year. They are in AA/A Region 4.

Edit: Tim McCoy.
Last edited by Rage_Bear on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:32 pm

admin wrote:http://www.wvmat.com/teams/manhs.htm

The information listed still has Man as single A.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

So Man is 1 student over the class A maximum. Wow!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”