All class, why not

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: All class, why not

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm

admin wrote:I should stay out of this but...

24 teams per region, 32 man bracket
Put your 24 varsity wrestlers in the bracket at the regional tournament if able and fill the empty spots with your better JV wrestlers. That allows for a minimum of 8 JV wrestlers in the bracket.

Q: How does one determine who the better JV wrestlers are? There would be 8 spots on the bracket for JV wrestlers from 24 teams. And, does each team get to enter only one JV wrestler, or can there be multiple JV wrestlers from a given team at a given weight?

The top JV wrestlers identify themselves through competition.

Best example is East Fairmont's Cassucio. He has defeated numerous wrestlers that are ranked in both AAA and AA/A. He battled his team mate at the WSAZ for 3rd and 4th place.

Last weekend, Independence had two wrestlers (Lawson and Kump) win the BNI and beat ranked wrestlers in doing do.

If a JV wrestler is beating multiple ranked wrestlers, then the JV wrestler should be included in the rankings.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 pm

As far as WV is concerned, I think the WSAZ is the best of the best. We have AAA vs AA vs A vs JV vs some out of state teams.

This season:
1. I saw team mate vs team mate.
2. #1 in AA/A vs #1 in AAA.
3. JV defeating ranked wrestlers
4. Multiple wrestlers from the same school standing on the podium together.

If an all class tournament can be arranged and there is an avenue for the top JV to enter, then I am all in.

I would like to see matches to identify the top 10 place winners instead of just the top six.

Must have an OW.

I like the OVAC's Herculean award for most pins.

I also would like to see an "Infinity" award. Given to the champion that is ON the mat the most amount of time. In a tournament like this, somebody could go to overtime 2 to 4 times.

rodrego

Postby rodrego » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Hold on there Hugger. Nobody places 10. Nobody lets JV in. Don't need to reinvent the wheel. Anyhow.....I've been bored....because it's winter....but I'm done being a keyboard kowboy. U fellers have fun. Good luck to all our athletes this season.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:16 am

Well bearhugger, I must disagree:

Most of your arguments hang on the rankings.

"an avenue for the top JV..."

"He has defeated numerous wrestlers that are ranked in both AAA and AA/A..."

"Independence had two wrestlers (Lawson and Kump) win the BNI and beat ranked wrestlers..."

If a JV wrestler is beating multiple ranked wrestlers..."

Your arguments hang on the rankings, and the rankings change from week to week, and are often just wrong, despite everybody's best efforts.

You seem to suggest that "ranked" JV wrestlers should be included in the State Tournament. Rankings should not determine who gets to enter the regionals or go to the state tournament. The OVAC, WSAZ, and other tournament do a fine job of seeding (ranking) the wrestlers on a given bracket, but the seeds (rankings) do not determine who may participate in these tournaments.

The real question, even if one were to accept the proposition that JV wrestlers should be allowed to earn a spot in the State Tournament, is "How may JV wrestlers qualify for the State Tournament?"

And in the final analysis, one would have to allow a team to enter its entire team, JVs and all, in the regional. You might find a weight class with 2, 3, or even 4 qualifiers from the same team. I noticed that at the WSAZ, Independence's Daniels and Hart each dropped a weight class which made room for Gunnoe at 195. If all wrestlers on the team could compete in the regional and qualify for the States, then one can ponder if this change would have been made.

Many advocate filling empty spots at the State Tournament (if such occur, we will see) with 5th pace finishers from another region. Question is, how do we pick which of the 3 5th place finishers get in? By rankings? (see above). Again, this would be a case of the rankings determining WHO gets in the State Tournaent, rather that deciding how wrestlers who are already in the tournament are seeded.

We are having a healthy and thoughtful discussion of these issues on the forum which is great. However, many (most, all) of the alternatives bring along their own set of unique difficulties.

The current system may have its flaws, but I have not seen a proposal for an unflawed system.

My $0.02
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 am

Independence has 5-6 JV wrestlers that could/should be ranked top 10 in the state. Honestly I think a minimum of 4 of those JV wrestlers get on the podium. I'm not gonna throw out any names but for those that know, well they know.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:28 am

Put your 24 varsity wrestlers in the bracket at the regional tournament if able and fill the empty spots with your better JV wrestlers. That allows for a minimum of 8 JV wrestlers in the bracket.

Q: How does one determine who the better JV wrestlers are? There would be 8 spots on the bracket for JV wrestlers from 24 teams. And, does each team get to enter only one JV wrestler, or can there be multiple JV wrestlers from a given team at a given weight?

And how do you limit to 24 varsity? What if the kid who places 25th or 26th at varsity can beat the pants off the JV who places 6th or lower? In efforts to "make it more competitive" you are just finding ways to keep it imbalanced just in a different way. The only way to get the best of the best in an all class is let EVERYONE wrestle at regionals. Varsity and JV. Makes a bigger regional and everyone gets an equal shot regardless of varsity or JV. Take the top 32 regardless.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:06 am

NhsMom wrote:

And how do you limit to 24 varsity? What if the kid who places 25th or 26th at varsity can beat the pants off the JV who places 6th or lower? In efforts to "make it more competitive" you are just finding ways to keep it imbalanced just in a different way. The only way to get the best of the best in an all class is let EVERYONE wrestle at regionals. Varsity and JV. Makes a bigger regional and everyone gets an equal shot regardless of varsity or JV. Take the top 32 regardless.

There are only 24 teams in each region, hence 24 Varsity wrestlers. There can't be any more than that unless the state starts adding schools. Another problem for a different day.

NhsMom

Postby NhsMom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 am

mike.carman wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

There are only 24 teams in each region, hence 24 Varsity wrestlers. There can't be any more than that unless the state starts adding schools. Another problem for a different day.

For now. If the goal is to build the sport, and more schools add wrestling, then we are back to this round robin conversation. Nothing is going to make everyone happy. Competitive regions, non competitive regions. It's all in flux. As kids grow and age in and out, as former wrestlers kids come up in the sport, as administration gives or reduces support. What works one year can be a total mess in two more and back to trying to fix it.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:27 am

NhsMom wrote:
mike.carman wrote:
NhsMom wrote:

For now. If the goal is to build the sport, and more schools add wrestling, then we are back to this round robin conversation. Nothing is going to make everyone happy. Competitive regions, non competitive regions. It's all in flux. As kids grow and age in and out, as former wrestlers kids come up in the sport, as administration gives or reduces support. What works one year can be a total mess in two more and back to trying to fix it.

Not trying to make everyone happy. Just posing a plausible solution to a problem. Not all of the problems. Now if schools add wrestling then they get added to the region. There is room for 8 additional wrestling programs per region. The drawback to that is that for each additional varsity wrestling program, there is one less spot for a JV wrestler to fill. It is flexible enough to allow for some growth. Either additional schools, unlikely with the decline of the population in the state(-1.6%), or additional startup programs.

So as you can see, you are not limiting to 24 varsity, I only stated that there are 24 teams in each region if you combine A/AA/AAA. As it stands right now there would only be a max of 24 varsity wrestlers in a regional bracket and that is if all of the teams have a program and a wrestler at that weight. We are not going to spring into a situation where there are 32 varsity wrestlers in the regional bracket any time soon. However, if we did, that would be a good problem to have and then we start looking at changing back to split system. Staying flexible is how we will grow the sport. Being rigid will drive more kids away.

grapple158

Postby grapple158 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:56 am

In 1975 and before there was a single class in wrestling in WV. Because of the limited number of state championship qualifiers (for a long time, 1 per region), small schools could do well at state with 1 or 2 good wrestlers (see Sophia, Big Creek). After 1976 (1st year for 2 classes) there were more participating schools added every year. It was a great boon to the sport.

I understand that some think the return to a one-class state tournament would benefit the sport, but the facts show that the opposite is true. The emphasis needs to be on team accomplishment, not a repeat of individual matches that often take place in the regular season anyway.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

grapple158 wrote:In 1975 and before there was a single class in wrestling in WV. Because of the limited number of state championship qualifiers (for a long time, 1 per region), small schools could do well at state with 1 or 2 good wrestlers (see Sophia, Big Creek). After 1976 (1st year for 2 classes) there were more participating schools added every year. It was a great boon to the sport.

I understand that some think the return to a one-class state tournament would benefit the sport, but the facts show that the opposite is true. The emphasis needs to be on team accomplishment, not a repeat of individual matches that often take place in the regular season anyway.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree on team accomplishment being the emphasis. I drive my son to camps, opens, clubs, strength train with him at home, watch and critique his matches, discuss strategy and even so much as suffering myself with hunger because I feel bad eating while my son is cutting to make weight. All of this should not be secondary to a group that is partially comprised of kids just wanting to impress a girl or think it would be cool to have WRESTLING embroidered on the back of their letterman jacket. The same type of people who criticize all the extra work we put in will be the ones to disagree with me now but I know many on here who do the same thing we do and will agree with what I'm saying. I'm not putting down a kid who cannot do the extras (I offer many kids the chance to come with us) or love football, baseball, track or whatever as much or more than wrestling. I'm just saying to the kids who strive to be the best at wrestling, allow them to prove it by being the best wrestler in the state of West Virginia at their chosen weight PERIOD. If a coach is fortunate enough to get a full, healthy lineup of kids willing to push that hard THEN a teams accomplishment is definitely something to be proud of. I'm 100% for an all class individual champion but keeping the 3 team classes.

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 pm

How many 4 time state champions would we have if WV would have stayed as one class.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

noshowjoe wrote:How many 4 time state champions would we have if WV would have stayed as one class.

I'm gonna guess combined classes would yield less 4X ...

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:28 am

admin wrote:Well bearhugger, I must disagree:

Most of your arguments hang on the rankings.

"an avenue for the top JV..."

"He has defeated numerous wrestlers that are ranked in both AAA and AA/A..."

"Independence had two wrestlers (Lawson and Kump) win the BNI and beat ranked wrestlers..."

If a JV wrestler is beating multiple ranked wrestlers..."

Your arguments hang on the rankings, and the rankings change from week to week, and are often just wrong, despite everybody's best efforts.

You seem to suggest that "ranked" JV wrestlers should be included in the State Tournament. Rankings should not determine who gets to enter the regionals or go to the state tournament. The OVAC, WSAZ, and other tournament do a fine job of seeding (ranking) the wrestlers on a given bracket, but the seeds (rankings) do not determine who may participate in these tournaments.

The real question, even if one were to accept the proposition that JV wrestlers should be allowed to earn a spot in the State Tournament, is "How may JV wrestlers qualify for the State Tournament?"

And in the final analysis, one would have to allow a team to enter its entire team, JVs and all, in the regional. You might find a weight class with 2, 3, or even 4 qualifiers from the same team. I noticed that at the WSAZ, Independence's Daniels and Hart each dropped a weight class which made room for Gunnoe at 195. If all wrestlers on the team could compete in the regional and qualify for the States, then one can ponder if this change would have been made.

Many advocate filling empty spots at the State Tournament (if such occur, we will see) with 5th pace finishers from another region. Question is, how do we pick which of the 3 5th place finishers get in? By rankings? (see above). Again, this would be a case of the rankings determining WHO gets in the State Tournaent, rather that deciding how wrestlers who are already in the tournament are seeded.

We are having a healthy and thoughtful discussion of these issues on the forum which is great. However, many (most, all) of the alternatives bring along their own set of unique difficulties.

The current system may have its flaws, but I have not seen a proposal for an unflawed system.

My $0.02

My JV arguments begin with head to head competition results. The two wrestlers get on the mat and one wins and one loses. This is simple when both are varsity wrestlers. However, when a JV wrestler wins, it opens more eyes. When the JV wrestler then runs through 3-4 wrestlers and wins a tournament, I really take notice.

I then glance over to the rankings to get a gauge for the caliber of wrestlers the JV wrestler defeated. East Fairmont's JV 106 pounder has proven time and time again that he is one of the best (top 5 all classes). He can't cut down. He has a tough road above. He is the exception. Only the exceptions would qualify.

As for the JV wrestlers mentioned above, the ranked wrestlers they have defeated have been ranked all season long. They will also more than likely qualify for the state tournament. Most of them will place. We will know for sure in 3 1/2 weeks.

Look at the WSAZ a few weeks ago. The JVs were allowed to enter. Only a handful placed in the top 8. I expect the same thing to happen in the regions. Only a handful qualify for the state tournament. For what it is worth, the people I was sitting with at the WSAZ were keeping their eyes on the tournament progression of Whorton and Cassucio. I was getting texts from across the arena from other people who were doing the same. It added additional excitement to the tournament.

By the way, Independence's Tucker Lawson weighed in at 161.5 and wrestled JV 170. He defeated the AAA #4 ranked wrestler. Lost both of his matches to the same kid from Ohio and finished 7th.

Here is how JV qualify for the state tournament. The JV wrestlers enter the regional tournament. There is plenty of room for them. Seed them based on the seeding criteria used for all. The wrestlers enter the gym (regional location), they all wrestle. The top four surface. These four go to the state tournament. The JV's team points are NOT mixed with the varsity's. Realistically (use the WSAZ as the experiment), only a few would break through. But, they break through because they were better. We then have the best wrestlers at the state tournament.

As for any team having wrestlers cut down, I figure it is to help the "cutting" wrestlers' chances to maximize their championship efforts. I doubt 2-4 wrestlers are going to cut down to just make room for somebody to make the line up.

How do we determine which regional 5th placer gets the nod? How would we seed three wrestlers in a tournament? Established criteria. If it was done this year, the three wrestler's records, head to head competition and common opponents would be a great place to start. See my recent posts about last season's 4th place finisher's combined records. I didn't look at 5th place. I am sure we could look at last season's 5th place finishers and determining who the best of the three is would not be hard. Another route would be to take the two best. Have them wrestle a pigtail match Thursday afternoon on February 25th. The winner wrestles the regional champion based on the Pill.

I think I addressed everything.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:34 am

I'll use my ole friend Matt Ashley as an example here, since he was WV's first 4 time champion. If he had wrestled the AAA state champion his Freshman year thru his Senior year it would have looked like this:

98 Matt Ashley vs Pat Sole 1976
105 Matt vs Troy Owens 1977
119 Matt vs Terry Weigel 1978
132 Matt vs Roger Hite 1979

You have to be an old timer to remember these taking place. I remember seeing Matt win all 4. I don't know if anyone may recall if any of these match ups took place sometime during the regular season. I'm sure if Matt reads this forum he could tell us. He is a great guy!
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:56 am

Gator wrote:I'll use my ole friend Matt Ashley as an example here, since he was WV's first 4 time champion. If he had wrestled the AAA state champion his Freshman year thru his Senior year it would have looked like this:

You have to be an old timer to remember these taking place. I remember seeing Matt win all 4. I don't know if anyone may recall if any of these match ups took place sometime during the regular season. I'm sure if Matt reads this forum he could tell us. He is a great guy!

The last time we had a 4 time state champ, we had three at the same time. Cottrell, Jeffries and Bicek.

I researched Cottrell

Championship years, corresponding AAA state champion

2009 Riggs/HHS
2010 Arthur/HHS
2011 Hinerman/North marion
2012 Smith/GW

In the 2009 WSAZ finals, Cottrell lost 2-0 to Riggs.

In the next three years, he met and defeated the state champions listed above in the WSAZ.

My money would have been on Cottrell to win the state title in 2009.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:08 am

Bearhugger wrote:
Gator wrote:I'll use my ole friend Matt Ashley as an example here, since he was WV's first 4 time champion. If he had wrestled the AAA state champion his Freshman year thru his Senior year it would have looked like this:

The last time we had a 4 time state champ, we had three at the same time. Cottrell, Jeffries and Bicek.

I researched Cottrell

Championship years, corresponding AAA state champion

2009 Riggs/HHS
2010 Arthur/HHS
2011 Hinerman/North marion
2012 Smith/GW

In the 2009 WSAZ finals, Cottrell lost 2-0 to Riggs.

In the next three years, he met and defeated the state champions listed above in the WSAZ.

My money would have been on Cottrell to win the state title in 2009.

I know Dylan never gave up a point to an opponent in 4 state championship runs. That is an amazing record!

David Jeffrey was 211-9 in his career with all his loses coming at the Ironman. He was undefeated 4 years in state. His Freshman year, David and Josh Fisher would have been a wild one to see!
Moderator WV Mat

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:41 pm

That would have been a he.. of match.

GRECO

Postby GRECO » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:38 am

Someone mentioned CA ( California) as having the huge population of wrestlers. With 700 high schools participating in ONE state tournament.. it is one of the toughest states to even place in but I can tell you that it would save money and maybe qualify more people to state in each region for WV! It may bring more wrestlers to come out and wrestle.. why not try too 6 from each regional?? I don't care if it is 36-68 or a 72 man bracket!

I think WV is currently doing very well in wrestling against the other wrestling state powerhouses and can hold its own.
But to be more competitive, have one State tournament is the best way to go!

Return to “High School Wrestling”