Sam's 2017 All Class Rankings Pre-Regionals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
yosemite_sam

Sam's 2017 All Class Rankings Pre-Regionals

Postby yosemite_sam » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 am

EDITED

Enjoy...

-YS
Attachments
2017 Rankings 02152017.pdf
Updated 02152016
(147.62 KiB) Downloaded 1131 times
Last edited by yosemite_sam on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yosemite Sam
sam@wvmat.com

crochog14

Re: Sam's 2017 All Class Rankings Pre-Regionals

Postby crochog14 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 am

at 195 , Jarvis from Ripley lost to Roach from Point last week in their dual.
Last edited by crochog14 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrocHog

aacoach73

Postby aacoach73 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:10 am

Alec Cook at 132 is a sophmore

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 am

Going to be two really good semifinals next weekend in AAA 160.

MaleMatMaid

Postby MaleMatMaid » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 am

yosemite_sam wrote:Enjoy...

-YS

Wow...I know this is solely your opinion but some of the weight classes are inaccurate. May want to double check results before you put out your version of rankings. Just a thought

Let's talk truth

Postby Let's talk truth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 am

at 152 weight class what happened u get off the south train and move to placers where they should be

Repoman1304

Postby Repoman1304 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

160 Booth beat Dunbar both times they wrestled this year. His only in state losses are both to Frisco.

theRIVER

Postby theRIVER » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 am

Milam SA also beat Booth in WSAZ semis

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 am

I believe that Dunbar beat Frisco last, pushing Dunbar ahead of Frisco. Frisco beat booth twice, pushing him ahead of Booth. That one is a tight class, but I believe that Yosemite got that one right for the snapshot in time. The wrestlers get to decide the final outcome over the next few weeks. Good luck to each of them.

maskedman

Postby maskedman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 am

MaleMatMaid wrote:

-YS

Wow...I know this is solely your opinion but some of the weight classes are inaccurate. May want to double check results before you put out your version of rankings. Just a thought

With all of your years of wisdom and in depth knowledge, let us know the great details of your pinpointed discrepancies!

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

-YS

There are a lot of really salty people on here over one person's research-based opinion. Seems like others need to put in the multiple hours and come up with their own set that I'm certain will showcase their kid/friend/acquaintance/team. Dude's not going to get it right 100% of the time. Calm down, folks.

Hinzfan

Postby Hinzfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 am

Let's talk truth wrote:at 152 weight class what happened u get off the south train and move to placers where they should be

Translation????

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Rage_Bear wrote:

-YS

There are a lot of really salty people on here over one person's research-based opinion. Seems like others need to put in the multiple hours and come up with their own set that I'm certain will showcase their kid/friend/acquaintance/team. Dude's not going to get it right 100% of the time. Calm down, folks.

Indeed. Some folks' "tones" are lower in order, rank, or quality.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

TrueSouthFanInPburg

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

you use to be spot on sam, but i don;t think your research this time was anywhere as good as it has been in the past. windland beat simpson 4-0 and pinned west. lusher beat miller at the saz. long beat bozek and carder beat starkey 5-0 and 14-7. these four kids have worked hard to get where there at and i think you need to give the credit they deserve in your rankings. :evil: :x

Rage_Bear

Postby Rage_Bear » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:43 pm

TrueSouthFanInPburg wrote:you use to be spot on sam, but i don;t think your research this time was anywhere as good as it has been in the past. windland beat simpson 4-0 and pinned west. lusher beat miller at the saz. long beat bozek and carder beat starkey 5-0 and 14-7. these four kids have worked hard to get where there at and i think you need to give the credit they deserve in your rankings. :evil: :x

He doesn't need to do anything and these kids get credit in the form of placing at regions and states which they have full control over. The rankings don't give a kid credit, their performance does.

I'm guessing he makes zero amounts of money to do this and puts many more than that number of hours into the research/analysis to come up with it. Please post your 80+ school analysis of every wrestler in the state. I don't think many people understand how much time and effort goes into making something like this.

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:35 pm

I enjoy Sam's rankings. It's extremely difficult to pull together all class rankings, especially without many head to head matchup.
I usually feel like someone got snubbed, based on my own opinion. However, judging by some of the names that pop up in his top 10, I have to assume that he gets out and watches A LOT more wrestling around the state than anyone else does.
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he has seen many of these dudes roll, first hand.
We''ll see how it plays out; entertaining rankings! :D
sentenceseller

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Helps build the excitement for the coming weekends. What is everyone going to talk about come the end of March!!
What a great sport. It's lot more fun when you know some of the players in the game..

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Can't we all just get along?

fireman

Postby fireman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 pm

THANKS SAM ! It takes alot of time to do this. He does it for joy to us. He does it as a challenge to the wrestlers. Look !! He's been doing this a LONG time. Not always perfect!!!! But pretty close. Closer than coaches polls. It's almost always the same people with complaints.. Make your lists and post them.. Agree with someone above. Can't please that kids dad, coach, buddy, or whatever. Instead of complaints----- LET'S SEE YOUR RANKINGS!!! ohhhh. I forgot, we are in the times where everybody is first and everybody gets a trophy... bull.. Thanks again to Sam and Doc for all you do. Some of us just like to stay updated. Signed : A wrestler from the 80s

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I know that there is a lot of research in ranking this many kids. My questions refer to 2 wrestlers from Wheeling Park. Nash at 160 and Simpkins at 170. These 2 kids have great records while wrestling at tournaments out of state. I just wanted to know what your criteria was for dropping Nash to second and Pine to first. Also, I dont't think that you gave much credit to Simpkins with dropping him much lower than he probable deserves. kaleb is a true 160 pounder who wrestles up at 170 because of Nash. Has many class wins from within the state , one being a boy that you have placed rather highly. I know that the sun now rises and sets in region 4, which is understandable, but you should look at the competition that they also have wrestled. Remember, region 1 is not dead, Could surprise some people in the states. Good luck to all!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Can't we all just get along?

Indeed. Some folks' "tones" are lower in order, rank, or quality.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:00 pm

113 is a tough weight class to rank.

Irizarry lost to Flint and Staud, split with Ackerman, but beat Sinclair and Lusher. Lusher beat Miller and Flint. And there are lots more in this weight class that have twist. Probably one of the harder weight classes to rank both AAA and AA/A.
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Not a big deal but:

106:
I would have Holt above Whorton. Holt won the WSAZ. Whorton finished third. Since this is "All Class", I would have Cassucio (JV class) right below Whorton.

132:
Hunter Taylor beat Hunter Burdette in a head to head match at the WSAZ.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Not Accurate polls! Do more Homework

yosemite_sam

Postby yosemite_sam » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:12 am

I truly do appreciate the input that you all continue to provide. Its very rewarding to see that in a little over 20 hours, this thread has 1400+ hits. That shows me that what Doc (and others) have going on here is achieving exactly what many of us are all trying to do, "Promote interest in the sport of high school wrestling". I will be the first to admit; there are some that I flat out miss and a lot that I'm sure I over think. I have went back and made a few adjustments based on some of the feedback that was provided here. This isn't something that happens overnight and over the course of a seasons worth of data entry, one is sure to overlook something. Yes, these get messy and at times very difficult to even wrap my head around how this and that happen. There are a few weight classes that would have any of you scratching your head when you lump them all together. Nothing I publish is EVER intended to be a disrespect to any wrestler.

crochog14 - 1950got it
aacoach73- 132 got it
TrueSouthFanInPburg - sharpened the pencil here and looked at a few of these from a different perspective. 106 adjusted 6-9 according to most recent results. What I came up with was since last rankings Wrestlers A-D's records against each other have been 2-0, 1-1, 0-1, and 0-1. 113 I would love to see what you have here, please email me and we can go into detail and break it down. I encourage different perspectives as always. 138 is another messy one. 9 defeated 5 but has lost to 6 and 8 but 5 also has two wins over 4 and defeated 6 in their last meeting. 145 got it...
soupbone- 160 I had it ranked the same way last time. I think this is going to be one of the more exciting weight classes to watch come next weekend! 170 has quite a few 60's in it and I think 10 is a dark horse and is poised to out perform his place on the podium from a season ago.
Bearhugger- 106 got it, oversight on my part. Lost in transferring from one source to another, I failed to swap those two in the update. 132 got it...

We all can agree that a state championship is the big prize and only a select few will get to experience that. I am going to go ahead and congratulate each and every wrestler that weathers the daily grind and continues to push themselves in the practice room for the entire season. While only one can stand at the top of the podium, this great sport teaches many life lessons that one day will give you a competitive advantage regardless of where you are in life. Whether you are a husband/wife, father/mother, son/daughter, employer/employee; there is always someone out there doing more than you. Keep battling, keep getting better...

How would YOU rank the wrestlers who never meet or have any common opponents, the wrestler who is out for the season with an injury, or one who has defeated the number 1 but lost to the 12 and 19? Its crazy and I know, but...... "You wanna know what the kicker is? Maybe I'm a little crazy. That's right, maybe Sam's a little nuts. Maybe there's something about me that I'm a little cuckoo. I know its a surprise, I know it's not on the surface. I mean, I had an imaginary friend when I was a kid, and his name was Shiloh! We used to play checkers with each other every day, and bless his heart, Shiloh would always let me win!"

Keep enjoying! And good luck to everyone this weekend at Regionals. Hope everyone stays healthy...

-YS
Yosemite Sam
sam@wvmat.com

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 am

138 - actually #6 lost the match to #9 by 9-4 decision. So #9 has defeated #5 and #6. A full season of matches to factor in does make it tough to come up with a clear cut order. Looks good overall.
Last edited by guard0544 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

P.H.D.

Postby P.H.D. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 am

yosemite_sam wrote:I truly do appreciate the input that you all continue to provide. Its very rewarding to see that in a little over 20 hours, this thread has 1400+ hits. That shows me that what Doc (and others) have going on here is achieving exactly what many of us are all trying to do, "Promote interest in the sport of high school wrestling". I will be the first to admit; there are some that I flat out miss and a lot that I'm sure I over think. I have went back and made a few adjustments based on some of the feedback that was provided here. This isn't something that happens overnight and over the course of a seasons worth of data entry, one is sure to overlook something. Yes, these get messy and at times very difficult to even wrap my head around how this and that happen. There are a few weight classes that would have any of you scratching your head when you lump them all together. Nothing I publish is EVER intended to be a disrespect to any wrestler.

crochog14 - 1950got it
aacoach73- 132 got it
TrueSouthFanInPburg - sharpened the pencil here and looked at a few of these from a different perspective. 106 adjusted 6-9 according to most recent results. What I came up with was since last rankings Wrestlers A-D's records against each other have been 2-0, 1-1, 0-1, and 0-1. 113 I would love to see what you have here, please email me and we can go into detail and break it down. I encourage different perspectives as always. 138 is another messy one. 9 defeated 5 but has lost to 6 and 8 but 5 also has two wins over 4 and defeated 6 in their last meeting. 145 got it...
soupbone- 160 I had it ranked the same way last time. I think this is going to be one of the more exciting weight classes to watch come next weekend! 170 has quite a few 60's in it and I think 10 is a dark horse and is poised to out perform his place on the podium from a season ago.
Bearhugger- 106 got it, oversight on my part. Lost in transferring from one source to another, I failed to swap those two in the update. 132 got it...

We all can agree that a state championship is the big prize and only a select few will get to experience that. I am going to go ahead and congratulate each and every wrestler that weathers the daily grind and continues to push themselves in the practice room for the entire season. While only one can stand at the top of the podium, this great sport teaches many life lessons that one day will give you a competitive advantage regardless of where you are in life. Whether you are a husband/wife, father/mother, son/daughter, employer/employee; there is always someone out there doing more than you. Keep battling, keep getting better...

How would YOU rank the wrestlers who never meet or have any common opponents, the wrestler who is out for the season with an injury, or one who has defeated the number 1 but lost to the 12 and 19? Its crazy and I know, but...... "You wanna know what the kicker is? Maybe I'm a little crazy. That's right, maybe Sam's a little nuts. Maybe there's something about me that I'm a little cuckoo. I know its a surprise, I know it's not on the surface. I mean, I had an imaginary friend when I was a kid, and his name was Shiloh! We used to play checkers with each other every day, and bless his heart, Shiloh would always let me win!"

Keep enjoying! And good luck to everyone this weekend at Regionals. Hope everyone stays healthy...

-YS

I think you've done a tremendous job.#4 106# Ty Logston is a SR. Thank You!!!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 am

guard0544 wrote:138 - actually 6 lost the match 9. (9-4 decision). So 9 has defeated 5 and 6.

138 is a tough class to rank because all the wrestlers are so close. 4 has not faced 1,2, or 3 and has split with 5 2-2 with the last match going to 4 and has beat 9 and 10. But 4 has a more convincing win over 10 that 2 does. 2 has a win over 3 in a tight match. The only comment I would make is that 3 and 4 have a common opponent that 4 pinned and 2 lost to, but that was at a lighter weight. All in all, I think it looks about as good as it can get. 138 is a beast.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 am

When did Irazarry wrestle Flint and Staud ?

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:41 am

Matofficial wrote:When did Irazarry wrestle Flint and Staud ?

Misspoke on that. Meant to say he finished below both at Winner's Choice. Can't find that they've wrestled.
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”