Dr. Bill Welker

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
JMfan

Dr. Bill Welker

Postby JMfan » Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 am

I want to wish Dr. Bill Welker the best. He has resigned as the WV Rules Clinician. Dr. Welker will be missed. He followed the rules to the T. He has been a great friend of my family for many years. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. Now you have time to follow your grandkids as they wrestle.

shemailman

Re: Dr. Bill Welker

Postby shemailman » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Great job William! You will be missed!
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I hope the following account sheds some light on people's concern and questions as to why Dr. Welker resigned as WV SSAC Rules Interpreter yesterday, may17, 2017.

Gator.
This is not a retirement by Bill. This is a resignation by Bill. He resigned due to a couple of factors. During the weigh-ins for States this past February the SSAC took the rule book out of his and our hands over skin contagions during the weigh-ins. I was in the room as were several other officials when a SSAC person told Bill to go to the weigh-in area and wait for their phone call to begin the actual weigh-ins after we had been notified of the possibility of some wrestlers from one of the AAA schools who may have a contagious skin condition. This was allegedly brought up earlier in the week and the possible replacement wrestlers were there to move up to take the place of the affected wrestlers. I don't recall exactly the schools and the kids but that part is not important. What is important is that a certain person high up in the SSAC hierarchy came into the room and disrespected Bill openly and sternly for not starting the weigh-ins despite the FACT that Bill was told to wait until this person called him. Again I witnessed the conversation as did several others and this person said Bill was wrong. So to compound the situation this person went on to ridicule and berate Bill in the room in front of his officials and kids. This person was wrong and reacted negatively under stress when he should have let us handle it and stay the hell out of it. He is/was not an authorized person capable of handling weigh-in procedures. The officials present and there were about 10 of us and the coaches all witnessed this behavior. Very unprofessional to say the least. Several kids were denied the right to participate over a knee-jerk reaction to something that we are trained to recognize every time we weigh the kids in and deal with it according to the book. Not create the chaos that he/they created. This person said to Bill that Bill didn't hear him right and that this person did not say what Bill, myself, and several other officials heard him say. So since that time you saw a split tournament and kids denied their right to weigh in and participate in something they earned the right to on the mats. Since that day there has been no apology offered to Bill for their actions. That is the single most critical factor in Bill's resigning his position. SECOND. The advisory board went against his recommendation of weight management for the wrestlers so that there would be no yo-yo dieting and a total disregard for the body fat percentage number for the kids. These guidelines are in place so that our kids do not take advantage of this yo-yo dieting and harm themselves by improper weight loss. So to sum up this long and windy reply Bill felt that the powers that be did not have the best interest of the kids and the sport of wrestling in WV in mind and he was not going to be a part of the program. Now it has been said by many so far in this thread but I feel the need to repeat it. Bill has always had the best interests of the kids foremost. His knowledge as our Rules Clinician is none parallel. I know the other Interpreters in the neighboring states and they are great guys but they couldn't compare to Bill in his dedication to West Virginia wrestling. Bill submitted his resignation by email so as not to have any further discussions with the SSAC over this issue. The SSAC has lost a great person and outstanding official/Rules Interpreter in Bill Welker. I wish nothing but the best for his successor.

Ray Marling
Ohio Valley Wrestling Officials Association, RET.

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Very well said Wiseone (Ray). What the WVSSAC has done is nothing more than saying "We are the bosses, and we do not have to listen to anyone". They have set a precedent in their ruling at the state tournament. What are they going to do the next time? If you stick with the rule book, you will be covered. Once you deviate from the set rules, you open yourself up for further controversy.

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 pm

I hope the new rules interpreter applies the rules equally, regardless of his former team affiliation.
I hope that when questioned, the new rules interpreter treats coaches with the respect that he himself expects.
I hope the new rules interpreter encourages wrestlers of all ages to compete and become the best that he/she can be.

Dr Welker leaves some very big shoes to fill and his service should be commended. Bernie Dolan and Wayne Ryan have made it clear that they are in charge. Hopefully they will find someone that they can work with who has the knowledge and experience to serve as rules interpreter.

What names are being considered?

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 pm

George Keeney?

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 am

JMfan wrote:Very well said Wiseone (Ray). What the WVSSAC has done is nothing more than saying "We are the bosses, and we do not have to listen to anyone". They have set a precedent in their ruling at the state tournament. What are they going to do the next time? If you stick with the rule book, you will be covered. Once you deviate from the set rules, you open yourself up for further controversy.

Very true. Per the new rules it seems as though that they are still running scared from the regional/state tournament debacle. I am for doing new things to improve our sport especially in our state but don't make precedents and new rules because of a "scary" situation. They created a lot more problems for the future of wrestling in our state than they even realize. What happens if teams decide to wrestle a match or tournament on that week or weekend between regional and state? There is always going to be that chance that something else like this occurs.
"Trans people deserve something vital; they deserve your respect. From that respect comes a more compassionate community."

-Caitlyn Jenner

shemailman

Postby shemailman » Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:I hope the new rules interpreter applies the rules equally, regardless of his former team affiliation.
I hope that when questioned, the new rules interpreter treats coaches with the respect that he himself expects.
I hope the new rules interpreter encourages wrestlers of all ages to compete and become the best that he/she can be.

Dr Welker leaves some very big shoes to fill and his service should be commended. Bernie Dolan and Wayne Ryan have made it clear that they are in charge. Hopefully they will find someone that they can work with who has the knowledge and experience to serve as rules interpreter.

What names are being considered?

It is clear that Dolan and Ryan don't know anything about wrestling and the rules that are implied. But do they know anything about anything? That is the real question.

-Caitlyn Jenner

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Fri May 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Out of respect for all parties this is a personal matter and this thread should be taken down. Nothing but upmost respect!

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

I agree with FORTHEKIDS.

This was started as an informative thread. I did not drag anyone's name into the dirt and was only trying to state facts. Which I did. A couple of the comments have been very supportive of Dr. Welker and we all appreciate those. And I intend no disrespect to others who have commented on this thread and have nothing nice to say about the SSAC. Those are your opinions and I respect that. If you disagree with the actions of the SSAC please contact them.

Dr. Welker has nothing in this thread and I do not wish for his good name to be tarnished. The previous thoughts and comments are mine and a select few other.

Thank You,

Ray Marling

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 pm

Dr. Welker will be missed. He is highly respected by many!!! GK

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:17 am

60 years of wrestling knowledge gone. I could say a lot more but you only need to read Wiseone's comments above. He was there along with many others.

Thank you "Pee Wee" for all you have done and sacrificed for wrestling, not just in WV but around the country.

We have lost a legend in WV wrestling.

Officials beware! Bill is now a fan and you may hear him screeching at you from the 22nd row! 8-)

If you read this Bill, thank you for the book....I will treasure it my friend!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”