West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Postby Beast » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:40 pm

My name is Corey McComas. I have been coordinating duals teams for a few elementary & middle school events. I just concluded assembling the WVYWA Elementary & Middle School teams that competed in the NHSCA National Duals in Virginia Beach on Memorial Day Weekend. I have done some other dual events on my own that were not sponsored by the WVYWA as well.

I am forming the West Virginia National Wrestling Team in order to provide dual opportunities for WV wrestlers. I plan to focus more on the HS & MS competitions. I will periodically have some youth teams like I have done in the past, but that will not be my focus. I believe that the youth wrestling community is well served with national dual wrestling opportunities. The main one being the NUWAY program that is being spearheaded by Brian Humphries & the NUWAY team. I look for that to continue to grow & be very successful. My vision is that once these kids transition out of NUWAY, they move on this program that is being created for older kids.

The goal of this program is to produce elite teams that will compete at the NHSCA National Duals. A team will be entered in each division that will be formed with the best wrestlers from this state. Now, I can enter multiple teams if there is interest. My dream/vision to put our state champions from each weight on a team. A team of 14 state champs will be hard to beat. There will be some debate as to who should be on the teams at certain spots, but I look at that as a blessing. These spots should be hard to get & will produce a better team as a result, with very good alternates if they should be needed. There will be other opportunities to compete other than this one event. These will of course be in the off season & not conflict with the MS & HS seasons. The first is the Battle in the 'Burgh in Pittsburgh on Aug. 4th (weights are 58, 63, 67, 72, 77, 82, 87, 92, 98, 104, 111, 118, 126, 135, 142, 150, & 180 with a +1 singlet weight allowance). I would also like to form teams that compete in some freestyle & Greco duals as well, such as the schoolboy national duals next summer.

I have been working on trying to get the best talent on these teams since I started putting these teams together. I know last year that there was two teams at the National Duals, one primarily from the Parkersburg area & one with Next Level team members, primarily out of the north central area of the state. Both teams had tremendous talent & great kids on them, but has anyone thought about putting together a HS for this event with the best kids in each weight class? I think we can really do well. The best of the best from all divisions, AAA, AA, & A, wrestling for one state team? This is a step towards getting this idea moving forward. It takes all the best wrestlers to buy in.

I would be trilled to see us come together & put our best out there for everyone in the country to see & kick some tail on the national level. The MS team that went to Va Beach was comprised of 8 state champs & 4 other state placewinners. They forfeited 4 weights and still won 3 out of 6 duals and was 10 team points (lost 42-32) in a dual from making it to Monday & competing for a national championship. Imagine if that team had the other 8 spots filled with state champs...how good could they have been? This should be an indicator what is possible with the elite from this state.

If you are interested in participating in this program, contact me at 304-951-8650. Texting is preferred. Not only wrestlers are needed, but coaches, volunteers, sponsors, etc. Understand that just because wrestlers contact me, that they may not be selected for the team. My goal is to pick the very best available kid in order to produce the most competitive team possible. On recent teams, I have placed my son on the B team or had him listed as an alternate because he was not the best option at his weight. If I am willing to do that to my own kid, I am willing to do that to anybody. If you can't handle that concept, this type of thing might not be for you.

I look forward to seeing how this thing evolves during the first year. I hope it becomes something that the WV wrestling community can take pride in & respect.

Beast

Re: West Virginia National Wrestling Team

Postby Beast » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Saturday, the WV National Wrestling Team competed in the Battle in the 'Burgh, just north of Pittsburgh.

Team Members:

58-Tylique Marshall
63-Issac Sands
67-Brody Kehler
72-Ben McComas
77-Gunner Andrick
82-Tony Petrovich (from PA)
87-Moses Eads
92-Nathan Ford
98-Bradyn Lucas
104-Judah Price
111-Gage Wright
119-Derek Raike
126-Brock Kehler
135-Michael Jones
142-Justin White
150-Erick Brothers
180-Noah Casto

16 of 17 were from WV. I believe 14 of them were either former or current state champs.

Results:

Beat Claymont, mainly kids out of OH 69-6

Beat Indiana Outlaws 69-16 (We lost them last year by 15)

Beat OMP, mainly kids from PA, they were the hosts 51-18 (We tied them last year, but lost via criteria)

Lost to Ascension 50-25 in what was essentially the finals. They were a team mainly made up of OH kids, but had all-star studs from other states.

Finished 2nd out of 5 teams. Last year, we finished 5th out of 8 teams.

Comments:

First, The team would like to thanks Jason Andrick for coaching & Tim Casto for working the table. Much appreciated.

Second, The team would like to thanks the parents. These kids are great, but they couldn't get where they are if not for your sacrifice of time, money, & effort. These kids were wonderful on & off the mat & you should be proud.

Last & not least, the guys... Special doesn't quite encapsulate the feeling I have about these guys. It was truly exciting & fun to watch some hammers (and if I had to bet, some future multi-time HS state champs) go do their thing & kick some OH & PA butt. I look forward to continuing to find opportunities for this group to represent their state. These guys could be at the pool or enjoying other summer activities on a beautiful Saturday, but they choose to battle though injuries, family emergencies, disappointing results, weigh cutting, etc. to represent the state. I hope these guys continue to improve & strive to be the best they can be on their school teams & on the national level. Great job!

Parents, tell them that I will work my hardest to get this team to be the best so we can start winning these events. Guys, just keep working your hardest to always improve. Never be satisfied. Am I disappointed we didn't win? of course. But I am going to get working on the next event. Have that kind mindset when you have a setback & you will eventually get what you want. You have to be relentless in achieving your goals.

In closing, I believe that if this state puts its best wrestlers out there on a team, we would be very good, if not great & championship worthy. These results prove that we are heading in the right direction. I also feel that this was the best team I have put together so far because more people are buying in to the concept of this team. The team got most of its first picks at each weigh, but not all. If we are going win an event such as this, we all have to buy in & commit to this team. The team needs all the hammers that are contacted to jump on board. If you do it & you don't like it, ok. but talk to the kids that were on this or on previous teams & ask them if it is not cool to be around your fellow WV hammers & don't feel thrilled as we crush teams from states that are supposed to beat us. Let come together to win one & make a bold statement!

Thanks again to all involved! Enjoy the rest of the summer!!

Corey McComas
"Just a guy with a clipboard"
WV National Wrestling Team

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”