Middle school predictions

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
TJV

Re: Middle school predictions

Postby TJV » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:46 pm

78- Matthew Dolan
84- Short
90- Michael Dolan, Shelek
95- Patrick Jackson, Wright
102-Raike, Fischer
110- Freeman, Traugh, Ethan Hardy
116- White, Hunter Locke
123- Vaughn
128- Gooch, Summers
135- Nixon, Piner
145- Matthew Jenkins, Quiocho
155- Isaac Van Meter
171- Josh Alt
190-
Hwt-

I'm sure this isn't a complete list. It's just meant to keep the conversation going. I tried to adjust some of the weights based on growth since last year (some fact-based & some guess work). Anybody else have info on the heavier weights?

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:41 pm

TJV wrote:78- Matthew Dolan
84- Short
90- Michael Dolan, Shelek
95- Patrick Jackson, Wright
102-Raike, Fischer
110- Freeman, Traugh, Ethan Hardy
116- White, Hunter Locke
123- Vaughn
128- Gooch, Summers
135- Nixon, Piner
145- Matthew Jenkins, Quiocho
155- Isaac Van Meter
171- Josh Alt
190-
Hwt-

I'm sure this isn't a complete list. It's just meant to keep the conversation going. I tried to adjust some of the weights based on growth since last year (some fact-based & some guess work). Anybody else have info on the heavier weights?

I think Gooch and Summers are closer to the 123 weight class.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Billy Gooch is currently around 123 but who k it's how he will grow during the year.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 am

Anyone know the top in the 135, 145, 155 classes?

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Hunter Nixon from Wheeling is 135. Will Kuhn should be around there he gets healthy. Isaac VanMeter and Mathew Jenking should be solid upper weight competitors.

mscoach108

Postby mscoach108 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:53 pm

The Dolans and Patrick Jackson do not wrestle Middle School. They will participate in WVYWA but they have chosen not to wrestle WVSSAC MS Wrestling.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:03 am

There are many good wrestlers in Ohio County who have made the choice to not wrestle middle school and focus their efforts on more difficult tournaments and tracking to larger duals tournaments.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 am

More difficult? I think I'd try to win wsaz first

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:14 am

Kinda sounds a little derogatory

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Please explain what was said that was duragatory? Why in your mind is WSAZ middle school such a tough and important tournament that it should be the tournament in which wrestlers should be measured? Personally, our choice was to forgo middle school season to instead wrestle PA Top 100 tournaments, larger Ohio tournaments, and as many high level duals tournaments as possible. I said nothing duragotry. I only stated that many kids in the northern panhandle and throughout the state have chosen a road other than middle school to make themselves better. Travel restrictions and limited budgets have an effect on what options many middle school teams have. Please don't suggest that because some people have chosen differently than you that it is somehow the wrong decision. That accolades of many of these wrestlers would prove otherwise.

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm

78- Freeman
84- Short
90- Smith
95- Raike
102- Freeman
110- White
116- ????
123- Gooch
128- Summers
135- Kesterson, Nixon
145- Brown, Quiocho
155- Van Meter
171- Alt
190- Kelly, Covert
Hwt- Cook

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Just came across like the "Ohio county" bunch are too good to wrestle zs. Lol. I'm sorry if that's not what u meant. I def understand that traveling to find the best competition is a good deal but it's also a good idea to see how u fare in your home state.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Awful lot of point kids in the top 15.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Actually, to the contrary, Ohio County Middle School wrestlers would love to go to WSAZ. However, the county has a no overnight policy for all middle school activities. Last year we found a way to go through the board, but got snowed out! This year the large majority of our experienced kids have decided not to wrestle with their middle school. WSAZ sounds like a great tournament but it's wouldn't be something to make kids who have never gone wrestle middle school just for that tourney. However, they will get to attend a tough Jr High Powerade tournament in PA and the "Best of the Midwest" tournament in Ohio, formerly known as Philo, which is arguable the toughest middle school tournament in the country.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:28 pm

To your other point, I would assume we see how we compare to the rest of the state at the state tournament.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 pm

a few Clay wrestlers that can make some noise are:

78-Legg
128-Casto
145-Perkins
171-Casto

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:11 pm

deepsouth wrote:78- Freeman
84- Short
90- Smith
95- Raike
102- Freeman
110- White, Kuhn
116- ????
123- Gooch
128- Summers, Scott, Bush
135- Kesterson, Nixon, Conaway
145- Brown, Quiocho
155- Van Meter
171- Alt
190- Kelly, Covert
Hwt- Cook

Just added to yours a little...

Blast_Double

Postby Blast_Double » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:46 pm

At 116, Perdue from Shady is a stud.

epanhandle13

Postby epanhandle13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Warm Springs Middle School has a few kids who could contend for podium honors.
Landon Riggleman (8th grader) Jr. State Champ
Payton Thompson (8th grader) just an absolute beast at 155
Aaron Armentrout (7th grader) currently undefeated at 285

Also a couple of 6th graders also who can make some noise.
Jackson Mundey (78 lbs)
Isaac Harris (WVYWA 4th place and Flo Nationals 7th place) either will be 95 or 102.

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:43 pm

deepsouth wrote:78- Freeman
84- Short
90- Smith
95- Raike
102- Freeman
110- White
116- ????
123- Gooch
128- Summers
135- Kesterson, Nixon
145- Brown, Quiocho
155- Van Meter
171- Alt
190- Kelly, Covert
Hwt- Cook

Kemo Summers is wrestling at 116 this year for Washington-Irving Middle School in Clarksburg.

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Logan Fischer is wrestling 116 for Milton

Mythreesons

Postby Mythreesons » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Blast_Double wrote:At 116, Perdue from Shady is a stud.

I not trying to be mean in any way. I'm glad Perdue is wrestling again, but being 15 in the 8th grade tends to make it a little bit easier against 6th and 7th graders who are 11 and 12, and not reached puberty yet. I know he will face some 13 or 14 yr olds in 8th that have, but it's a big difference than a freshman facing a upperclassman. I know someone will say it's no difference, but there is a big one when a 11yr old faces a 15yr old. Or a 14 or 15 yr old faces an 18yr old

Blast_Double

Postby Blast_Double » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Mythreesons wrote:

I not trying to be mean in any way. I'm glad Perdue is wrestling again, but being 15 in the 8th grade tends to make it a little bit easier against 6th and 7th graders who are 11 and 12, and not reached puberty yet. I know he will face some 13 or 14 yr olds in 8th that have, but it's a big difference than a freshman facing a upperclassman. I know someone will say it's no difference, but there is a big one when a 11yr old faces a 15yr old. Or a 14 or 15 yr old faces an 18yr old

Not sure what you are trying to insinuate but he is one of the hardest working kids there are. I was simply giving my opinion on who the top 116 in the state is. Whether he is 11 or 15 he fits within the SSAC rules, and just remember, the cream will always rise to the top!

Mythreesons

Postby Mythreesons » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:43 pm

Blast_Double wrote:
Mythreesons wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to insinuate but he is one of the hardest working kids there are. I was simply giving my opinion on who the top 116 in the state is. Whether he is 11 or 15 he fits within the SSAC rules, and just remember, the cream will always rise to the top!

Fair enough Blast_Double not insinuating anything about Perdue personally. He does work hard, and is a tough young man. I should express my opinions on older kids wresting in middle school on a post regarding that topic

Campion

Postby Campion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 am

None of these predictions make any sense. Lol...

ZZChooseTop

Postby ZZChooseTop » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:29 am

Mythreesons wrote:

I have a suggestion. Because in your mind age is the factor in determining who wins and who loses there is no need for predictions. Please list date of birth alongside your wrestlers so that we can dispense with the actual wrestling and mail out the plaques based upon when they blow out the candles.

Sounds like my3sons might be that parent who challenged 8 year old's ages at youth tournaments in the quest for a better plastic trophy. Middle school and high school have age groupings, if he meets the age deadline then don't whine about him being more mature. You darn sure won't credit age or maturity as being the reason that your kids win when they are on the up side of the age grouping. Is age a factor? Yes. The other factor might just be that this young man outworks your little angel in the practice room and in the weight room.

Reminds me of a dad coach who always pointed out his son's youth as a 6th grader when he would lose to 7th or 8th graders. Got feisty with opposing coaches, referees, and bad mouthed his own head coach any time his son lost. He did not take his son to challenging tournaments unless he was on the up side of the age group. Losing was a real problem for this guy. Now that his son is an 8th grader I have noticed that he is back on here telling the wvmat world how good his son is and what top notch tournaments they plan to go to. When his son doesn't get first place we can expect to hear that the other kid was 10 days older and was therefore a "holdback" or the referee cheated or some such nonsense. If he hasn't already, he is going to ruin his kid's love of wrestling and poison a father/son relationship.

Here's an idea: Don't worry about another child's birthday unless you plan on buying him a bicycle (although kids these days would probably prefer an Amazon.com gift card). Enjoy your child's chance to learn in what I believe is the greatest sport in the World. Make positive memories.

Bobtail

Postby Bobtail » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:38 pm

At 145 one to watch maybe the Amburgey boy from Hamlin who is 18-0 early in season.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:19 am

Campion wrote:None of these predictions make any sense. Lol...

What?

mattman

Postby mattman » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:09 am

ZZChooseTop wrote:
Mythreesons wrote:

I have a suggestion. Because in your mind age is the factor in determining who wins and who loses there is no need for predictions. Please list date of birth alongside your wrestlers so that we can dispense with the actual wrestling and mail out the plaques based upon when they blow out the candles.

Sounds like my3sons might be that parent who challenged 8 year old's ages at youth tournaments in the quest for a better plastic trophy. Middle school and high school have age groupings, if he meets the age deadline then don't whine about him being more mature. You darn sure won't credit age or maturity as being the reason that your kids win when they are on the up side of the age grouping. Is age a factor? Yes. The other factor might just be that this young man outworks your little angel in the practice room and in the weight room.

Reminds me of a dad coach who always pointed out his son's youth as a 6th grader when he would lose to 7th or 8th graders. Got feisty with opposing coaches, referees, and bad mouthed his own head coach any time his son lost. He did not take his son to challenging tournaments unless he was on the up side of the age group. Losing was a real problem for this guy. Now that his son is an 8th grader I have noticed that he is back on here telling the wvmat world how good his son is and what top notch tournaments they plan to go to. When his son doesn't get first place we can expect to hear that the other kid was 10 days older and was therefore a "holdback" or the referee cheated or some such nonsense. If he hasn't already, he is going to ruin his kid's love of wrestling and poison a father/son relationship.

Here's an idea: Don't worry about another child's birthday unless you plan on buying him a bicycle (although kids these days would probably prefer an Amazon.com gift card). Enjoy your child's chance to learn in what I believe is the greatest sport in the World. Make positive memories.

ZZ I have no clue who you are but I gotta say you pretty much covered it. Bryce is my son and the post was made by Chad Evans from Oak Hill which unfortunately didn't have a middle school program this season. Bryce wasn't held back but due to some bad luck/hardship (which I'm not gonna get into) he had to miss several days of school and got behind on his grades. Bryce went through a tough time but it only made him hungry. As far as Chad goes, that's weak! How any grown man could throw a kids name out there like a cheater or whatever you think, is pathetic. I promise you there are several kids who have failed or been held back a grade that you don't know but I do. I'm a man and I would never talk negative about a child in any way. As far as Bryce being a contender, I will let you know come February or so. Bryce will be at the 110 lb weight class at wsaz this season. He is 18-0 with 17 pins. Bryce is doing fine and is a happy and very good kid! Win, lose, or draw I am very proud of my son and will back him like a lioness on her cubs! Lotta tough kids out there and I have learned to never count your chickens before they hatch. I wish all wrestlers a successful and healthy season and for the new kids, never give up! Push hard at practice, listen to your coaches and you will get better every single day! God bless!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm

mattman wrote:
ZZChooseTop wrote:
Mythreesons wrote:I not trying to be mean in any way. I'm glad Perdue is wrestling again, but being 15 in the 8th grade tends to make it a little bit easier against 6th and 7th graders who are 11 and 12, and not reached puberty yet. I know he will face some 13 or 14 yr olds in 8th that have, but it's a big difference than a freshman facing a upperclassman. I know someone will say it's no difference, but there is a big one when a 11yr old faces a 15yr old. Or a 14 or 15 yr old faces an 18yr old

ZZ I have no clue who you are but I gotta say you pretty much covered it. Bryce is my son and the post was made by Chad Evans from Oak Hill which unfortunately didn't have a middle school program this season. Bryce wasn't held back but due to some bad luck/hardship (which I'm not gonna get into) he had to miss several days of school and got behind on his grades. Bryce went through a tough time but it only made him hungry. As far as Chad goes, that's weak! How any grown man could throw a kids name out there like a cheater or whatever you think, is pathetic. I promise you there are several kids who have failed or been held back a grade that you don't know but I do. I'm a man and I would never talk negative about a child in any way. As far as Bryce being a contender, I will let you know come February or so. Bryce will be at the 110 lb weight class at wsaz this season. He is 18-0 with 17 pins. Bryce is doing fine and is a happy and very good kid! Win, lose, or draw I am very proud of my son and will back him like a lioness on her cubs! Lotta tough kids out there and I have learned to never count your chickens before they hatch. I wish all wrestlers a successful and healthy season and for the new kids, never give up! Push hard at practice, listen to your coaches and you will get better every single day! God bless!

If I was in Oak Hill, I would be concerned about wrestling surviving. The high school had two state tournament qualifiers due back. One is wrestling and I do not see the other in the scores as of yet. The high school has 6 weight classes filled and forfeiting eight. Based on what I read above, the middle school's program is shut down. This will probably carry over into shutting down the high school program in a year or two. These are real problems.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”