WVYWA Championship, Who will come!!

Registratration required to post. Anyone can read.
figure4match

WVYWA Championship, Who will come!!

Postby figure4match » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 am

I guess this is more of a poll on who will attend this event?

WVYWA changed the format for this tournament for the Middle School division vs last years setup. I believe 12 and under would wrestle ES unless you choose to wrestle in the MS division in last year tournament. This year If your child is in 7th grade or 12 years old after Dec. 31 2016 they have to wrestle in the MS division.
Parkersburg is still happening and please no offense but it isn't the same tournament as the WVYWA. If the kids/ parents choose to wrestle and attempt to qualify through their regional tournament and precede to the State Tournament (sorry, for the drawn out post but there is still some grey areas that people are unaware of about this tournament format) who is coming?
With the middle school season and the WSAZ tournament, some may think no need or there is no challenge in going to a State Tournament. Well wrestlers/ parents pursue this event or do you think that the impression taken is the season is over and "why go and maybe loose what your child gained in the WSAZ (place 2,3,4)"?
I believe to be a true state champion you must wrestle the best in the state. Some areas do not offer middle school wrestling or the child/ family has chosen to NOT wrestle in the Team Middle School arena.
What is the opinion here on a turn out for the WVYWA?

matcoach90

Re: WVYWA Championship, Who will come!!

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:31 am

Went last year, will be there again this year.

T-bone's Dad

Postby T-bone's Dad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:48 am

I will be there.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:33 pm

I don't understand why people in certain parts of the state compare WSAZ to a state tournament? They aren't even close to the same. I am sure WSAZ is a good tourny. However, many very good wrestlers do not have the ability to attend, so why do people keep saying that it is considered by many as the unoffocial MS state tournament? I don't get it. I hope that having the 7th grade 12 year olds will go to both states. They can wrestle 12-u in Parkersburg and then come to Huntington and wrestle MS. They get the best pf both worlds. Ohio allows kids to wrestle in grade school and MS states if they are 12 year old 7th graders. Hopefully they chose to do both considering they are a month apart.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm

WP1992 wrote:I don't understand why people in certain parts of the state compare WSAZ to a state tournament? They aren't even close to the same. I am sure WSAZ is a good tourny. However, many very good wrestlers do not have the ability to attend, so why do people keep saying that it is considered by many as the unoffocial MS state tournament? I don't get it. I hope that having the 7th grade 12 year olds will go to both states. They can wrestle 12-u in Parkersburg and then come to Huntington and wrestle MS. They get the best pf both worlds. Ohio allows kids to wrestle in grade school and MS states if they are 12 year old 7th graders. Hopefully they chose to do both considering they are a month apart.

Compared to the state tournaments. WSAZ has way more people and it's way more competitive. Ask around.

Wrestling 4life

Postby Wrestling 4life » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm

oroyos wrote:
WP1992 wrote:I don't understand why people in certain parts of the state compare WSAZ to a state tournament? They aren't even close to the same. I am sure WSAZ is a good tourny. However, many very good wrestlers do not have the ability to attend, so why do people keep saying that it is considered by many as the unoffocial MS state tournament? I don't get it. I hope that having the 7th grade 12 year olds will go to both states. They can wrestle 12-u in Parkersburg and then come to Huntington and wrestle MS. They get the best pf both worlds. Ohio allows kids to wrestle in grade school and MS states if they are 12 year old 7th graders. Hopefully they chose to do both considering they are a month apart.

Compared to the state tournaments. WSAZ has way more people and it's way more competitive. Ask around.

95% of all WSAZ champions will be state champions look in prior years my boy has 46 kids in his weight class last year and the state tournament he only had 14 to me The WSA Z tournament there's a lot more competition than the slate Tournament yes I'll give you that there is some kids that are not wrestling in the WSA Z right now from West Virginia that are contenders but for the most part the champions from the WSA Z will be predicted to win the WV YWA state tournament the Parkersburg tournament is now joke you might get a four or five-man round
robin!!!

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Personally, I believe the WVYWA tournament is the most difficult event in this State on a youth level. It's not for the faint of heart. I just hope that teams and individual wrestlers will represent and take part in this state tournament. It's truly about building a foundation in wrestling within this state!

Got to ask. Will people not participate because of the competition being to difficult?

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm

figure4match wrote:Personally, I believe the WVYWA tournament is the most difficult event in this State on a youth level. It's not for the faint of heart. I just hope that teams and individual wrestlers will represent and take part in this state tournament. It's truly about building a foundation in wrestling within this state!

Got to ask. Will people not participate because of the competition being to difficult?

YES! My son has won WSAZ twice. And just the mention of the WVYWA youth state tournament scares him so bad that I have to drag him out from beneath his bed.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Lol

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Quantity does not always mean quality or depth and I am am sure your state champion number of 95 percent is not even close to accurate. If you win WSAZ you don't get to say you are a state champion. I hope all the guaranteed "95 percent" show up in Huntington so we can see who the best ME kids in the state really are. However, it really doesn't matter until 9th grade. All of this banter is exactly that, and the rest is just practice for HS. Sure hope we see all these best kids in Huntington!!!

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Not even close. I've been to both.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:51 pm

I doubt your kid is scared, but you that could be a different story. Why not just go and win it if it's that easy? Never heard of skipping a tournament, especially a state tournament regardless of youth, me, or high school because it's easy. Why just not wrestle at all this year except that one tough tournament. Makes no sense, but then again that's none of my business.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Wrestling 4life wrote:
oroyos wrote:

95% of all WSAZ champions will be state champions look in prior years my boy has 46 kids in his weight class last year and the state tournament he only had 14 to me The WSA Z tournament there's a lot more competition than the slate Tournament yes I'll give you that there is some kids that are not wrestling in the WSA Z right now from West Virginia that are contenders but for the most part the champions from the WSA Z will be predicted to win the WV YWA state tournament the Parkersburg tournament is now joke you might get a four or five-man round
robin!!!

That's bc they have regionals. It's impossible to have 45 kids.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 pm

Goldenponyboy wrote:I doubt your kid is scared, but you that could be a different story. Why not just go and win it if it's that easy? Never heard of skipping a tournament, especially a state tournament regardless of youth, me, or high school because it's easy. Why just not wrestle at all this year except that one tough tournament. Makes no sense, but then again that's none of my business.

Won it last year. Was on the mat a total of 1.5 mins in an 8 hr span. Ehh

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Hopefully your son has more humility than you! You apparently are very high on him and believe every tournament he wrestles in is the toughest anyone has ever wrestled. :roll:

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:10 am

WP1992 wrote:Hopefully your son has more humility than you! You apparently are very high on him and believe every tournament he wrestles in is the toughest anyone has ever wrestled. :roll:

Relax. I'm just getting a ride outta you. I actually enjoyed the WVYWA state tourney last year and I hope it continues to grow. It's been a great thing for our state.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:08 am

From what I can tell, and I won't mention any names, a certain person from up North cries a lot about not being able to get to certain tournaments... thus making it seem like he knocks said tournaments that he doesn't get to. If that's not his intention, then he needs to change up his style. Me thinks thou doth protest too much...

Sling Shot

Postby Sling Shot » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Multi-sport middle school athletes unfortunately will have a hard time attending. Spring sports begin Feb 27. Practice usually after school until around 5:30 or 6:00. Can't justify then sending him to a wrestling practice for another 2 hours for 3 weeks. Homework comes first. There is also a game the day of the tournament.
Nothing against the wvywa state tourney, but you won't get all the middle school wrestlers. Those who just wrestle shouldn't have a problem though. Good luck to all.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:18 am

Sling Shot wrote:Multi-sport middle school athletes unfortunately will have a hard time attending. Spring sports begin Feb 27. Practice usually after school until around 5:30 or 6:00. Can't justify then sending him to a wrestling practice for another 2 hours for 3 weeks. Homework comes first. There is also a game the day of the tournament.
Nothing against the wvywa state tourney, but you won't get all the middle school wrestlers. Those who just wrestle shouldn't have a problem though. Good luck to all.

Wow, I didn't know that WV MS had spring sports. I guess our area is out of the loop. We have multiple club and rec spring sports in our area and they typically don't start until the middle of March because of gym space due to basketball and other winter sport ending. We have always done wrestling state championship whether it was in Parkersburg or Huntington and if by chance our Spring Sport did start, most coaches understood and even encouraged us to participate in State's and even a National event at the end of March.

If we qualify at our Regional tournament, our team members are going to Huntington to finish what we started at the beginning of the season and that is to win a state championships.. Not saying we will win but that is our goal at the start of each season. It's a shame if kids doesn't represent them self and their region if they want to achieve a Jr/ youth championship.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:22 pm

This thing is gonna be a disaster. Instead of insulting everyone that questions it, why don't you take a web building class and put some updates and info on your site? I tried to register my kid 3 times and it pops up error. The site shows 5 kids registered. I know all the people that pushed for this last year are out and I heard some guy named Mike Carman that posts on here sometimes is president but I don't see the alleged president helping anyone out with their questions. You are not helping your cause. I look for you guys to cancel.

allheart

Postby allheart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Can anyone just enter in the regional tournament and compete as long as they live in WV?

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:17 am

Diamond wrote:This thing is gonna be a disaster. Instead of insulting everyone that questions it, why don't you take a web building class and put some updates and info on your site? I tried to register my kid 3 times and it pops up error. The site shows 5 kids registered. I know all the people that pushed for this last year are out and I heard some guy named Mike Carman that posts on here sometimes is president but I don't see the alleged president helping anyone out with their questions. You are not helping your cause. I look for you guys to cancel.

It's not til march 18-19 how many do you want registered two months out. Now about the website. I don't know , but you aren't going to have 500 kids two months before regardless of states or not. No one will be cancelling. If they did then we won't have a states. Everyone I have talked to is on board and going to wvywa, but hoping we fails is a crap move on you. A few things do need worked on, but come on.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:18 am

allheart wrote:Can anyone just enter in the regional tournament and compete as long as they live in WV?

Yes as long as you live and go to school in WV. You can go to the regionals, but your regionals only.

Agmorris1471

Postby Agmorris1471 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:11 am

This tournament was one of the best run I have ever been to and they intend to make some tweaks to improve it this year. We look forward to coming down.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

whats rule on base weight requirements for this tourney? example: if wrestler weighs 161 and wrestled 171 all season due to team having a 155 lb wrestler. can the wrestler cut to 155 for this tournament?

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:44 pm

What's his cert say?

noshowjoe

Postby noshowjoe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I didnt know they had round robin brackets at jr states in Parkersburg Wrestling 4life.
lol

Return to “Middle School Wrestling”