WVYWA Elementary Team for Va Beach

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

WVYWA Elementary Team for Va Beach

Postby Beast » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 am

These guys will represent WV at the National High School Coach's Association's National Duals. They will be competing on Memorial Day Weekend. This event is broadcast live on Flowrestling is you want to watch them.

52: JJ Scarafino
55: Aden Andenegg
60: Will Godby
64: Garrett Johnson
68: Ben McComas
72: Logan McFarland
76: Landon Herndon
80: John Knight
85: Nathan Wood
90: Wyatt Brady
95: Hunter Spitznogle
100: Saige Walls
105: Hendrix Hudson
112: Tyler Wise
126: Jason Ross
150: Cole Vandall

Beast

Re: WVYWA Elementary Team for Va Beach

Postby Beast » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 am

Caden Michalski from West Fairmont has replaced Saige Walls at 100# due to injury.

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Noah Loy replaced Hendrix Hudson at 105#.

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Wanted to provide a summary of results:

Based on seeding criteria, we received the #36 seed overall (Out of 84 teams).

Saturday:

Defeated Mason-Dixon Mat Hawgs 81-10

Defeated Team Nauman White 72-10

Loss to #5 seeded Malvern Wrestling Club 73-3

Went 2-1 to advance to Championship pool Sunday!!!

Sunday:

Loss to #3 seeded Young Guns Black 68-6

Loss to #25 seeded 4M 52-14

Loss to #23 seeded Berserker 44-18

Went 0-3 (needed to go at least 2-1 to advance to the National Championship bracket on Monday)

This was the farthest we had advanced as a team in the 3 years of its existence at this event. I was super proud of the team we put together. They represented themselves, their families, their clubs, & their state well. I want to thank all the kids for their hard work to get this far & to do this well to represent your state at the highest level. I also want to thank all the parents/caperones for their sacrifice & commitment to their kids, the team, & our wrestling community. This thing doesn't happen unless parents are willing to lay down close to $1K, 12+ hours of travel, & an entire holiday weekend to watch your kids get hammered on by the best in the nation. Hats off to you all!!!

A special thanks goes to the WVYWA for funding the fees & uniforms for this team. It is wonderful to see the money we parents pay to this organization be turned around & fund activities & ideas that benefit the entire state & try to improve it as a whole.

Also wanted to thank Carl Godby for coaching the team. I also Justin Scarafino for volunteering to be the tableworker, for most, if not all, of the duals. If someone else helped work the table, thanks to you also.

Some Analysis: We are competing against teams that are made up of wrestlers from all over the nation. We limit ourselves to only kids from our state, so we may have a disadvantage in that regard. But, we have this entire state of fantastic wrestlers to draw from. I want to encourage the best of the best, to make a commitment to this program & compete with other studs from your home state. This is a special team that should be reserved for the very best. In my opinion, we could have advanced to Monday & beat 4M & Berserker if our absolute best at each weight would have signed on. We, as a state wrestling community, don't have to take a back seat to anyone, especially OH & PA, if we work together. We may not have the quantity of wrestlers, but I would argue that our best would match up well against their best in most weights. It just depends on whether we want to join up & prove the country wrong. I bet I only had about a third of my first picks at the weight classes. My goal next year is to advance to Monday & maybe do some damage once we are there.

If you have any advice/comments/suggestions on how to make the team better or are interested in participating in other team events, contact me, Corey McComas, at 304-951-8650. I will be coordinating teams for events throughout the year if you would like to get involved.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”