Girls WV National Team to the 2019 Grand River Rumble

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Beast

Girls WV National Team to the 2019 Grand River Rumble

Postby Beast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm

This is Corey McComas. I am the Coordinator for Team WV for the WVYWA. I have also formed teams called the West Virginia National Team & competed in several out-of-state/national dual events. Most of the teams have been very competitive & won many of their duals.

I am looking at entering teams to compete at the Grand River Rumble on July 12-14 in Lansing, Michigan (about 6.5 hrs. from Charleston). I would love to have at least 1 full team in each division. If there is enough interest, I will enter multiple teams if allowed. I will only choose WV wrestlers, unless there is no interest, then I may fill open spots with out-of-state kids (Believe me, I don't want to do that. I think it is special to have only WV kids on the roster with no "free agents" allowed).

It has been decided that they are going to have a Girls division at this event.

See flyer below:

2019 GRAND RIVER RUMBLE
GIRLS DUAL TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
COLLEGE OUT OF BOUNDS RULES

FRIDAY JULY 12, 2019
LANSING, MICHIGAN

LOCATION: Lansing Center – 333 East Michigan Ave. Lansing, Michigan 48933

DATE & START TIME: Friday July 12, 2019 - Wrestling Begins at 2:30 PM

BOOK HOTEL STAY w/ TBD TRAVEL FOR Discounted GIRLS TEAM ENTRY:
www.NuwayWrestling.com/GrandRiverRumble
Accepting Combined Club, Travel, or Community Girls Teams K thru 12
th
Grade.
• Round Robin Pool Play to Bracket Championship Dual Team Tournament based on entries.
• Teams must be based on 2018-2019 School Year (Number of Duals based on Final Team Entries)
• Round Robin to Bracket Format, Number of Matches based on final Team Entries.
• Each team must provide an adult table worker for score clock. (Traditional Team Scoring)
• Each Team will receive 2 Free Coaches Passes and 1 Free Table Worker Pass for free admission.
TOURNAMENT CONTACT: Email: rstehley@gmail.com

Girls Division – 50 & Below, 57, 64, 70, 78, 84, 92, 100, 110 118, 128, 138, 148, HWT
(Girls K-12th 2019 Graduates welcome) Grade based on 2018-2019 School Year.

AWARDS: Top 4 Placers receive Team Award & Medals.
(2) Outstanding Wrestler Awards for Most Pins on Time Criteria and (2) Finals Teams - MVP Awarded.

Girls Team Fee: $350 Payable To: NUWAY or Book 5 Hotel Rooms thru TBD Travel and earn $100
Team Entry Fee Discount.
Teams must book 5 Rooms or more to Earn $100 Tournament Team Entry Fee Rebate.
Deposit or Team Fee: Email to coordinate Team Entry and Team Hotel Stay: Rstehley@gmail.com
Online $100 Deposit required with Team Contact information.
Online Resort Booking Link and Team Deposit for Registration at:
www.nuwaywrestling.com/summernationals
• Follow-Up mailed Deposit & Team Fee by E-Mail to: rstehley@gmail.com

GIRLS WEIGH-INS & REGISTRATION: See GRR Thursday Weigh-Ins Times.
Coaches should be present at weigh-ins with teams organized and completed roster form. Must wear
Singlet or Shorts at Weigh-Ins.
Weigh-Ins for Girls who compete Friday will carryover for anyone competing Saturday & Sunday.
See Thursday Evening Weigh-Ins Schedule at: www.nuwaywrestling.com/grandriverrumble
*VIP Thursday Fast Pass (Onsite Purchase $20 Cash) at Scheduled Fast Pass Weigh-In Times.
Wresters must wear a singlet or gym shorts for weigh-ins. Teams should be organized at weigh-ins.
Headgear Optional, Mouth Guards required upper/lower for wrestlers wearing braces.

TEAM SCORING: Traditional Team Scoring, Accepting Girls Teams from all States.

College Out of Bounds Rules
CONTACT: Rob Stehley - Phone: 810-275-4964 or Email: rstehley@gmail.com
Info on NUWAY 2019 Events at: www.nuwaywrestling.com

This is my first time putting together this many teams, so bear with me. This will also be my first time coordinating a girls team. I am working with another gentlemen to help me coordinate this team (Just waiting on him to confirm that he is in). I also have not gone to this specific event, but I have attended others like this & have attended other NUWAY events also.

The weight classes are listed above, but looking to get a feel for general interest. NO hard decisions will be made until we feel comfortable enough that there is enough interest to fill a team. The team fees will be divided evenly between the entries. Your spot will not be locked in until I receive your payment of the team fees. They must be paid in full & in advance. This fee is non-refundable, unless a replacement can be found & they make their payment in full. I hate to be a jerk about the fees, but deposits & teams fees must be paid in advance, not the day of, to reserve a spot.

The team fee is $350 for each team. Therefore, the fee per wrestler will be $40. This will provide enough to cover the fees & possible no shows or forfeits. If I have $$$ left over after paying team fees, I will use it to purchase apparel for the wrestlers.

Also, the flyer states that the team can receive a $100 team discount if we stay at a certain hotel. I will have my wife dig into that.

I am not planning on having a team uniform, unless the team decides they want to have one. Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

A link to the website is here if you want to do some more research on your own: https://www.nuwaywrestling.com/grandriverrumble

If there are 2 or more wrestlers wanting the same spot, the final decision will be made by me, but I will use past results (especially WVYWA states, WSAZ, & HS state results) & accomplishments to decide. I may ask for a wrestle off, if needed, but I will try to pick the wrestler for the team to win - that is the only criteria I absolutely go by & will not comprise on. I am not concerned with individual success, just team victories. I have probably made the wrong choices of who was best in the past for a spot, but I think in general I get it right the vast majority of the time. My goal is to take the absolute best kids to represent WV wrestling to the entire country.

If you have doubts, I encourage you to speak to people who have been involved with my teams in the past & see what their opinions are of the process.

Apparently, there is an individual tourney that weekend at the same event. I haven't checked to if there are separate divisions for girls though. You may enter if you choose but would highly recommend not too. I want you at full strength for the duals personally.

If you are at all interested, call or send me a message at 304-951-8650 or e-mail me at corey.mccomas@yahoo.com.

I have no idea if there has ever been a dual team comprised of only WV girls to compete in a national level completion. If there has been, they are extremely rare to my knowledge. if there has, I would like to know about them & how well they did, etc. I hope to start some type of program to encourage this type of participation in national events for female WV wrestlers. Sign up & possibly be part of history!

As changes are made, I will update this post. Thanks everyone & keep training!!!

Return to “Youth Wrestling”