WVYWA Selection Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
matcoach90

Re: WVYWA Selection Tournament

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

The selection tournament date and time was POSTED on WV Mat. If you didn't bring your wrestler, then that's all on YOU. I don't care who's on the podium at WSAZ's Saturday, the fact is, they could have been there, they weren't, end of story. So go on "indirectly" knocking those who won... It just proves that these kids have more integrity and guts than some of you. If some of you are so worried about who's representing Team WV and thought your kid was better, you should have shown up and proved it.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm

There's no "thinking" to it

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 pm

The best "date" for a qualifier would in my opinion be the state tournament. it's not to difficult to pick the best available based on state results. This qualifier is used as a money maker. You could charge a little or even have the participants do a fund raiser for the tournament. Team PA enters multiple teams in some of the best national duals tournaments throughout the year Nd they don't have a separate qualifier to fill the team. So why do we need to do it?

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:52 pm

This is EXACTLY why "Team WV" is ever even remotely competitive in these big dual events. The selection process is terrible and is exactly why we never win any duals.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Need to wait til after MS season is over and have a large qualifier in a neutral location. not gonna be real competitive when the better wrestlers can't even go to the tournament.

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 am

Beast, I probably would have made the trip but couldn't get my question answered after publicly asking 3 different times. Another coach actually responded "I think they are ignoring the question."

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:04 am

Why did you have this tournament when several middle schools wrestled in a tournament on Friday and Saturday. Why not have this after the WVYWA state tournament. Good luck with the wrestlers you are taking.

indyms

Postby indyms » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:16 am

Instead of having 1 selection tournament why not have the Team WV criteria by based on a point system? Say you nominate 5 tournaments throughout the season; based on your finish you are awarded points. Bonus points could be available for a tournament such as the one you just hosted and you could put a weighted point system together for the WVYWA State Tournament. By doing this you would be able to have more kids available throughout the season instead of just one weekend. Our family has been involved in other sports that have a State Team compete on the regional and national level. They pick the team based off of several factors, one of which is a point system. I will say the only drawback here is that some parents will take their kid to every single tournament in order to gain points. The child might be somewhat of a decent wrestler but once his weight class is full you don’t see him getting a podium spot. In order to avoid these situations the selection / showcase tournament and State Tournament need to have a point system which will suppress the average to below average wrestler from winning the point battle without ever really accomplishing anything (that is if you truly wish to have only the best of the best at the Beach). I have no dog in this fight just offering an opinion; my guy is in middle school and if he returns to the National Duals it will be on the team he has been going with the past two years.

Beast

Postby Beast » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:08 am

A point system sounds fine to me. Wait, we have a point system...you ever scores more points in a match vs. their opponent..they win! Winner gets the spot. What a concept!

I would much rather a matchup of Jake Legg & Breyden Whorton not be decided on the mat. They were wrestling a best two out of three. The first two matches were extremely close, (Jake won the first by 1 & Breyden was winning the second by 1 or 2, I believe before the injury) but Jake got hurt right at the end of the second match, so we weren't able to see the third. If you were privileged enough to be there & watch it, you saw a great matchup. This is what the tryouts should be.

Maybe we should decide the State Champ from the same point system? Skip that tournament because you would have travel to get there. Wait...it should always be decided...ON THE MAT.

You have to be joking about the point thing?

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:52 am

Beast wrote:A point system sounds fine to me. Wait, we have a point system...you ever scores more points in a match vs. their opponent..they win! Winner gets the spot. What a concept!

I would much rather a matchup of Jake Legg & Breyden Whorton not be decided on the mat. They were wrestling a best two out of three. The first two matches were extremely close, (Jake won the first by 1 & Breyden was winning the second by 1 or 2, I believe before the injury) but Jake got hurt right at the end of the second match, so we weren't able to see the third. If you were privileged enough to be there & watch it, you saw a great matchup. This is what the tryouts should be.

Maybe we should decide the State Champ from the same point system? Skip that tournament because you would have travel to get there. Wait...it should always be decided...ON THE MAT.

You have to be joking about the point thing?

Have to agree with Beast. To easy for sum kids to wrestle all tourneys and rack up lots of points when others, like some for this tourney, that just cant make it. Gonna be inconvienent for some at any time. Takeing the state champ? Maybe middle school, if they are willing. Different age groups in youth would cause contraversy. The best way to do this is a wrestle off! Wait thats what they did. If u want it bad enuff no other touney would have stopped you.
And Beast, the Legg Whorton matchup was one I would have liked too seen and been wondering, thanks for results of it.

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Still have not got a response. When are the results going to be posted for this a the open tournament the day before?

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I will check on it to see when the results will be posted

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 am

Still no results!!! i also think is is awful that the WVYWA website has nothing on it.

James

Postby James » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:15 am

Wrestlerdad2000 wrote:Still no results!!! i also think is is awful that the WVYWA website has nothing on it.

Gotta agree with you on that one. Last year you could read the bylaws, see results, see what wrestlers at what weight point standings, and more. This year nothing.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 pm

And we are still waiting

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 am

And we are still waiting for results!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 am

First, if you were so interested in this, you would have been there... second, the only reason several of you want the results in the first place is so you can gripe and moan that the kids who won aren't as good as so and so who placed here, or so and so who placed there, therefore don't deserve to be on the team. For the rest of you that have legitimate interests in the results, I'm sure they will be posted eventually.

Goldenponyboy

Postby Goldenponyboy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Or they can just wait til the dual and go on track or flo and figure it out

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:51 pm

I would have been there if it was not due to a death in the family. You guys want everyone to be behind the WVYWA, but we cannot get any answers from anybody. You wont post results for this dual team, the website has nothing on it. You say this is helping WV wrestling, but it is not. That's why we are a step behind other states. I,m not going to get on here and complain about who is on the team, i just want to know so i can wish them luck when i see them at states.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah, that's it. We just want to complain... No, some of us would just like to know who's representing WV on "Team WV". Also would like to know if other wrestlers could have an opportunity challenge for those spots...

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Ridiculous. Update the site especially the rules. Losing respect! Seems the rules change to suit the coaches involved. Just do the right thing. Results should be public and so should the rules. Everyone is confused!
Last edited by justwrestle on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:33 pm

I did receive a rules document today, which is linked on the front page and in the Youth Tournament section

http://www.wvmat.com/youth/00wvywarules.pdf
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:58 am

Well I see there are 3 "States" a new one called odd yr. We could just form another "NATIONAL" team on our own. Seems there are no limits in WV. 2 novice states, 3 states. Lol

James

Postby James » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:54 am

I would like to see a dual event just for WV. Each region wrestle off to make a region team. 6 region teams meet for a dual event. Clash of the region's.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:58 pm

WrestleWV0130 wrote:Yeah, that's it. We just want to complain... No, some of us would just like to know who's representing WV on "Team WV". Also would like to know if other wrestlers could have an opportunity challenge for those spots...

They did have an opportunity to challenge for those spots... the day of the tournament.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm

A few of these guys sound like the dad's who coach midget league football so their kid can be the quarterback. If the winners are the best there shouldn't be a problem with a challenge. It is "Team WV" after all

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm

WrestleWV0130 wrote:A few of these guys sound like the dad's who coach midget league football so their kid can be the quarterback. If the winners are the best there shouldn't be a problem with a challenge. It is "Team WV" after all

Completely agree!

James

Postby James » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 am

oroyos wrote:
WrestleWV0130 wrote:A few of these guys sound like the dad's who coach midget league football so their kid can be the quarterback. If the winners are the best there shouldn't be a problem with a challenge. It is "Team WV" after all

Completely agree!

Can you also agree there was a challenge, you just wasn't there?

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

And a few of you sound like whiners who did not get their way all the time. The fact is, this tournament was announced and posted on WV Mat. It was on a Sunday. If it was that important to you and your wrestler(s), you would have been there to compete for the spot. If family emergencies occurred or it was too inconvenient for you to be there, then that's on you... Tournament dates and times are never going to please everyone. If you think you can do better, get together with some other complainers and pick your own team and go hit the tournament road. Then you can boast all you want. The whole whine-fest over this is getting a little ridiculous... see enough whining on the news everyday.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Can anyone show me in the WVYWA rules where the method of selection for the team WV duals team going to NHSCA in Virginia Beach is a tournament? I read the rules yesterday, and what Inread said that it will be based on state tournament placement. Maybe I missed it.

And before anyone wants to start the whining arguement, please understand that my son cannot attend this NHSCA event and it was never even a consideration. So I have no dog in this fight. Just curious about the by laws.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”