WVYWA Selection Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
CoachontheHill

WVYWA Selection Tournament

Postby CoachontheHill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Any one interested in wrestling for Team WV must sign up on Track Wrestling and tournament is this Sunday.

RWWS

Re: WVYWA Selection Tournament

Postby RWWS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:50 am

What is this for? What age groups?

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:32 am

Two divisions elementary grades 4-6 and MS 6-8

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 am

So where will the team compete at? Who will coach it? Why aren't we promoting these more?

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Virginia Beach Duels. Its been posted in tournament section for a while.

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:31 pm

National Duals at Virginia Beach. Form says in March but they are actually held end of May. Memorial day weekend.

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Will there be opportunity for practice after most teams stop? If so were will it be?

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Why was it decided that this would be the best way to determine who will represent WV at Virginia Beach? This tournament is a far Drive for almost everyone on a Sunday and has very few of the better wrestlers in the state registered. I am not knocking the kids enteeed, but the large majority of state champions and finalists will not be at this "qualifier". It would have been much easier to select the participants based on state finish, especially in the middle school division since many of them have team commitments that would likely not allow them to easily travel to this tournament. And when I saw "state placement" I refer to WVYWA states as the state tournament. Unfortunately, if we only go by this qualifier, many of our states better wrestlers will be representing other teams in Virginia, rather than our state.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 pm

WP1992 wrote:Why was it decided that this would be the best way to determine who will represent WV at Virginia Beach? This tournament is a far Drive for almost everyone on a Sunday and has very few of the better wrestlers in the state registered. I am not knocking the kids enteeed, but the large majority of state champions and finalists will not be at this "qualifier". It would have been much easier to select the participants based on state finish, especially in the middle school division since many of them have team commitments that would likely not allow them to easily travel to this tournament. And when I saw "state placement" I refer to WVYWA states as the state tournament. Unfortunately, if we only go by this qualifier, many of our states better wrestlers will be representing other teams in Virginia, rather than our state.
where did you see who was signed up for this tournament? I just checked trackwrestling and its not on there. So, how do we know who is in the tournament?

James

Postby James » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm

trackwrestling
enter event
pre register
matrix shows number of wrestlers
wrestler list shows names and weights
Total of 81 wrestlers last i checked

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 pm

who's in 142, 155, and 171?

RWWS

Postby RWWS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:55 pm

142: Moore, Mullins, marsh 154 Paletti; 165 Miller,Samples.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:56 pm

they'll be more than that when all is said

James

Postby James » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Deadline 10:00 tonight

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't know of any school teams that are wrestling on Sunday. If "some of the better" wrestlers in this state won't be there, then that's their prerogative. Other kids and their parents are sacrificing their Sunday (no school on Monday) to participate. You are never going to please everyone in reference to time and place for a tournament. There will always be someone who has to travel a long distance.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm

So travel all that way for two matches or less???? That makes sense. Take the best kids in the state to represent WV. Base it in state tournament results. There would be plenty of time considering states is on March. I feel as though this was not very well thought out. BTW, I have no dog in this fight as my son will be playing travel baseball at that time. I am just making a point that this was not the best way to get the very best kids from Our state to represent it at a national level event.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 am

WP1992 wrote:So travel all that way for two matches or less???? That makes sense. Take the best kids in the state to represent WV. Base it in state tournament results. There would be plenty of time considering states is on March. I feel as though this was not very well thought out. BTW, I have no dog in this fight as my son will be playing travel baseball at that time. I am just making a point that this was not the best way to get the very best kids from Our state to represent it at a national level event.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about it. This tournament has been posted for a while, just like the rest. If someone wanted to wrestle for this opportunity, they could. The only reason there aren't as many attending is because of the same mindset you have... inconvenient and travel. It's not exactly easy for folks up north to get to Huntington for WSAZ and the state tournament, but it's important and we come. If people don't come to participate in this, they shouldn't complain. And nothing should be taken away from the kids who attend this and win. Everyone was invited.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:37 am

matcoach90 wrote:
WP1992 wrote:So travel all that way for two matches or less???? That makes sense. Take the best kids in the state to represent WV. Base it in state tournament results. There would be plenty of time considering states is on March. I feel as though this was not very well thought out. BTW, I have no dog in this fight as my son will be playing travel baseball at that time. I am just making a point that this was not the best way to get the very best kids from Our state to represent it at a national level event.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about it. This tournament has been posted for a while, just like the rest. If someone wanted to wrestle for this opportunity, they could. The only reason there aren't as many attending is because of the same mindset you have... inconvenient and travel. It's not exactly easy for folks up north to get to Huntington for WSAZ and the state tournament, but it's important and we come. If people don't come to participate in this, they shouldn't complain. And nothing should be taken away from the kids who attend this and win. Everyone was invited.
amen....Praise the Lord....and amen again.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm

I simply disagree with the method of selection. I live in the northern part of the state and anywhere else we can find good competition. We travel 5-6 hours away to compete. I also said earlier that my son wasn't interested anyway due to other commitments. I merely made the point that I didn't agree with how the team was being selected. We will just need to agree to disagree. I commmend any wrestler who wants to compete in the off season and get better. It was not a personal attack. Best of luck to all. See you in Huntington!

Beast

Postby Beast » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Places that people drove from to make the team:

Coal City
Huntington
Charleston
Parkersburg
Moundsville
Keyser

I am sure there was others with equal drives that I just couldn't remember. When you want it, you chase it.

Also, if you won't drive a few hours to tourney in-state, what are the chances we can get you to drive approx. 8 hours to VA Beach?

Believe me, I want the best kids in the state on the team...period. Reason being is I want these teams to kick some major tail. The system is imperfect, but all you had to do is show up & win. We had no 55 pounder show...bummer.

We need to get the Kelhers, Eads, all the point kids, the Dolans (& the rest of the iron eagles), all the Wheeling kids, Ground Zero, etc. out to try for a spot & I am disappointed that we can't sent our best & give a true picture of how good the wrestling is here.

James

Postby James » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 pm

The system is fine. Show up, wrestle, champ gets the spot. No better system than that. Participation is the problem here and that national duals is a long ways off. I think this wrestle off was done too early, maybe after WVYWA Championships, just my opinion. Only your top wrestlers will still be on the mat and not many other tournaments then.

CoachontheHill

Postby CoachontheHill » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Tried after season last year, that did not work either. I think its something that will need to grow. As wrestlers get used to seeing their peers make the team and they talk more and more, it will grown. We all must do this together. We move the State tournament, Novice, Selection around the state everyone can get involved. Ask your Region Chairs, go to meetings, and get involved. Everyone has ideas, WVYWA is organic and is willing to listen to good ideas.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Take a look after this weekend and compare the team with the z results. I agree not the best time to put together a "Team WV". It's not team wv

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Where's the list of winners

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Matthew McAfee would have been there, but I asked questions repeatedly on the post and got no response. Figured if I couldn't get a simple question answered perhaps we should make other plans.. Should have been on a different date after z's. Communication is key, starting with answsering questions. Updating the WVYWA page needs to happen as well.

justwrestle

Postby justwrestle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Matthew McAfee would have been there, but I asked questions repeatedly on the post and got no response. Figured if I couldn't get a simple question answered perhaps we should make other plans.. Should have been on a different date after z's. Communication is key, starting with answsering questions. Updating the WVYWA page needs to happen as well.

WrestleWV0130

Postby WrestleWV0130 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Totally agree! Should've been after the z's then maybe we could've got more of the "best" wrestlers on a duals team that is carrying WV's name

Wrestlerdad2000

Postby Wrestlerdad2000 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:38 am

So when are the results going to be posted?

Beast

Postby Beast » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am

So when would be a perfect date for this that doesn't conflict with something? The answer is never. It is going to conflict with something for someone. There was not anything major going on in the state on Sunday, to my knowledge. Day after Winner's Choice, it was a week before Z's. Other than youth rec league matches, what was going on to keep you from being here?

The boys that went would have wrestled anyone that showed up, maybe they win or lose. But they have the right attitude we need for them to be successful that the Duels...show up & wrestle whoever walks out there. Do your thing.

How can we build a team with you when you are willing to sacrifice a day to make the team? Even if you just showed up, weighed in, & left because there is no one else signed up. You do what you have to do...for the team. A big lesson that we don't emphasize in youth wrestling.

Return to “Youth Wrestling”