Seed Meeting

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Campion

Re: Seed Meeting

Postby Campion » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Who is talking about weight allowance? We just want a good turnout of wrestlers... There only appears to be 5 or less in many brackets. What is your concern and how is that important?

Vtauber

Postby Vtauber » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:28 pm

J rollins wrote:
Vtauber wrote:Seeding is never going to be perfect no matter what. My son's head to head record gave him the 2nd seed at regionals (I thought that was pretty liberal myself) because the paperwork wanted his match-ups in the division he was wrestling at the state championships and the only times he has wrestles that weight has been at the qualifier and regional level because we decided to wrestle him up this year. He came away with the 1st at regionals. If it was based on his record he wouldn't have even been seeded at all at the state level. I know that studs sometimes wrestle up (not calling my own child a stud) then once at their natural weight without the record to reflect that someone could argue that a stud got missed.

I wrestle my son up as well. He usually does his own weight and the next weight up. I assume you did not do this because you have to cut your son to get him to the weight hes wrestling at states. The 2 lb allowance is causing parents to cut kids down knowing theyll get an additional 2 lbs at states. The reason its called "your division" is because thats where your son wrestles at throughout the year. Im not a fan of the 2 lb allowance or the "private weigh in" that can take place with the regional chairman. I know everything is debatable. Good luck at states!

My son has been right around the base weight he is wrestling this weekend all year and he made base weight at a qualifier without issue (he did not petition for a special weigh it). We (myself and his coach) really discussed the options before us for him this year. We ultimitly decided to wrestle him up (giving up more than 5 lbs) the only time we wrestled him at his natural weight was when he was wrestling up in age. That still wouldn't count toward his seeding. The tournaments that we have done do not allow for you to wrestle your natural weight and up in weight without also going up in age. He did wrestle at 4 tournaments this year at the weight he is entered for at States but it wasn't his age group. We do not cut weight because my son is elementary school age and also on the autism spectrum (he also has Pica so food and proper nutrition are even more vital to us as others). We really just wanted to make sure he lost enough matches this year to foster his desire to improve. I believe the spirit of the allowance is because kids are growing and they don't want parents to cut children down in an effort to keep them in the weight class they started the season out in. May your children also have good luck at States!

I didn't take your reply personally but figured I have nothing else to do so I'll tell my little man's story to anyone who wants to know.

For anyone not going to NUWAY in Michigan we (my son, his sister, some if his teammates, and some of his coaches) are all going to Columbus for the 10th Annual Wrestle Against Autism and would love for more people to come! It's April 8th ( early weigh in and clinic) and 9th (actual day wrestling happens)

Geoswaff

Postby Geoswaff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 am

Vtauber wrote:
J rollins wrote:
Vtauber wrote:Seeding is never going to be perfect no matter what. My son's head to head record gave him the 2nd seed at regionals (I thought that was pretty liberal myself) because the paperwork wanted his match-ups in the division he was wrestling at the state championships and the only times he has wrestles that weight has been at the qualifier and regional level because we decided to wrestle him up this year. He came away with the 1st at regionals. If it was based on his record he wouldn't have even been seeded at all at the state level. I know that studs sometimes wrestle up (not calling my own child a stud) then once at their natural weight without the record to reflect that someone could argue that a stud got missed.

I wrestle my son up as well. He usually does his own weight and the next weight up. I assume you did not do this because you have to cut your son to get him to the weight hes wrestling at states. The 2 lb allowance is causing parents to cut kids down knowing theyll get an additional 2 lbs at states. The reason its called "your division" is because thats where your son wrestles at throughout the year. Im not a fan of the 2 lb allowance or the "private weigh in" that can take place with the regional chairman. I know everything is debatable. Good luck at states!

My son has been right around the base weight he is wrestling this weekend all year and he made base weight at a qualifier without issue (he did not petition for a special weigh it). We (myself and his coach) really discussed the options before us for him this year. We ultimitly decided to wrestle him up (giving up more than 5 lbs) the only time we wrestled him at his natural weight was when he was wrestling up in age. That still wouldn't count toward his seeding. The tournaments that we have done do not allow for you to wrestle your natural weight and up in weight without also going up in age. He did wrestle at 4 tournaments this year at the weight he is entered for at States but it wasn't his age group. We do not cut weight because my son is elementary school age and also on the autism spectrum (he also has Pica so food and proper nutrition are even more vital to us as others). We really just wanted to make sure he lost enough matches this year to foster his desire to improve. I believe the spirit of the allowance is because kids are growing and they don't want parents to cut children down in an effort to keep them in the weight class they started the season out in. May your children also have good luck at States!

I didn't take your reply personally but figured I have nothing else to do so I'll tell my little man's story to anyone who wants to know.

For anyone not going to NUWAY in Michigan we (my son, his sister, some if his teammates, and some of his coaches) are all going to Columbus for the 10th Annual Wrestle Against Autism and would love for more people to come! It's April 8th ( early weigh in and clinic) and 9th (actual day wrestling happens)

Good luck to you and your kids. I have a son with Crohn's disease and wrestling helped him immensely and transformed his health. Did wrestling help with your sons Autism? We never wanted him to cut more than 5 percent of his body weight for health reasons ( he's a high schooler so that actually adds up to a weight class). Not cutting significantly never hurt him wrestling and he always had plenty in the tank in a full 3 round match. With his younger brothers, 6 and 8, we don't even try cutting weight but we do try and make sure that we maintain their weight and we start the season wrestling up as we figure their going to grow during the long season. Doesn't seem to affect their wrestling outcome, but hard to say for sure. Some folks find fault in everything other people do or say and see a conspiracy or dark plot behind every corner. You have nothing to justify. Best of luck.

Vtauber

Postby Vtauber » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Geoswaff wrote:
Vtauber wrote:
J rollins wrote:

Good luck to you and your kids. I have a son with Crohn's disease and wrestling helped him immensely and transformed his health. Did wrestling help with your sons Autism? We never wanted him to cut more than 5 percent of his body weight for health reasons ( he's a high schooler so that actually adds up to a weight class). Not cutting significantly never hurt him wrestling and he always had plenty in the tank in a full 3 round match. With his younger brothers, 6 and 8, we don't even try cutting weight but we do try and make sure that we maintain their weight and we start the season wrestling up as we figure their going to grow during the long season. Doesn't seem to affect their wrestling outcome, but hard to say for sure. Some folks find fault in everything other people do or say and see a conspiracy or dark plot behind every corner. You have nothing to justify. Best of luck.

Wrestling has hands down been the best thing we have ever done for my son. He has issues with trust, developing relationships, effective communication, emotional excitabilities, empathy and sensory (touching and being touched/loud noises/ sudden spacial changes) and along with therapy wrestling has helped almost every one of these areas. He has developed a bond with one particular coach that rivals the relationship he has with me his own mother (his therapist said this was HUGE.) He calls his wrestling teammates his friends and that doesn't happen even at school. He gets invited to birthday parties now. He has a very literal brain and loves following scripts and wrestling is perfect for that. His brain is like a computer so "if this than that". He applies this to his wrestling and wrestling is almost instinctive once he learns the rule of "if the other kid does this you do this" "if you circle left and he doesn't than there is an exposed angle so you shoot a single and turn the corner" it's not often that his Autism is something that makes life easier.

This is my sons second year and the relationships he started to cultivate was my favorite part of the season last year. Making friends and trusting and communicating with his coach. This season he has shown that he is not completely void of empathy and I credit wrestling. We were at a tournament where he had to wrestle a boy from another team that he liked to play video games with and talk about wrestling with. My son wrestles everyone the same because he doesn't ever put a wrestler and his friendships before the rules of the sport and winning. This boy ended up beating my son and when he lost he the other boy hugged him. Since that match he has offered a hug to wrestlers he beats. During one match the other boy just laid on the mat crying and he tried to help him up and when he wouldn't get up he just knelt by him and rubbed his back. Since that match my son has only lost once and even when he was the loser he initiated a hug after the other boys hand was raised. I wept...

J rollins

Postby J rollins » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am

My son has been right around the base weight he is wrestling this weekend all year and he made base weight at a qualifier without issue (he did not petition for a special weigh it). We (myself and his coach) really discussed the options before us for him this year. We ultimitly decided to wrestle him up (giving than 5 lbs) the only time we wrestled him at his natural weight was when he was wrestling up in age. That still wouldn't count toward his seeding. The tournaments that we have done do not allow for you to wrestle your natural weight and up in weight without also going up in age. He did wrestle at 4 tournaments this year at the weight he is entered for at States but it wasn't his age group. We do not cut weight because my son is elementary school age and also on the autism spectrum (he also has Pica so food and proper nutrition are even more vital to us as others). We really just wanted to make sure he lost enough matches this year to foster his desire to improve. I believe the spirit of the allowance is because kids are growing and they don't want parents to cut children down in an effort to keep them in the weight class they started the season out in. May your children also have good luck at States!

For anyone not going to NUWAY in Michigan we (my son, his sister, some if his teammates, and some of his coaches) are all going to Columbus for the 10th Annual Wrestle Against Autism and would love for more people to come! It's April 8th ( early weigh in and clinic) and 9th (actual day wrestling happens)[/quote]

Thats an awesome story! Im glad your son finds wrestling beneficial! Hopefully your post attracts some people to the wrestle against autism. I will definitely try to make it! I agree that the weight allowance reasoning was to allow kids to grow. I also know parents abuse it knowing if they make base one time they get the additional 2 lbs come states. You will be hard pressed to find any tournament that allows 2 lbs. I just feel a state tournament should not give that much allowance. Even with the current seeding practice they still look at head to head when they place the regional champs. For that reason alone i wrestle my son in his own division throughout the year as well as up. I just feel head to head should trump regionals. Rather than regionals trumping head to head. Thanks for sharing your sons story!

Return to “Youth Wrestling”